Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Why, they are bottom of the roster players that are easily replaceable.
They know the system this team will be running on both sides of the ball. This makes them bottom of the roster veteran assets. Caserio can always continue his search for younger players via the cut wire or other practice squads. Once new players on the PS are up to speed then decisions can be made.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
My main point is that they are still trying to improve the roster, they’re not doing what some would say that constitutes tanking.
I think the Watson trade has allow them to not worry about having to tank to improve. Having two 1st round picks, even if 1 is higher, in the same year for the next two years gives them a lot of draft capital even if they decide to go after a QB.

All that means they can say and show they aren’t tanking and are looking to compete so they can use that to try and get quality FAs. Doesn’t hurt Lovie is highly thought of and respected by players all around the league.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
My main point is that they are still trying to improve the roster, they’re not doing what some would say that constitutes tanking.
Are they?

They made one signing after 800+ cuts that wasn’t somebody they cut themselves. 3 players were re-signed that they cut themselves. One of those players they’ve cut, signed and cut again. They made a trade for a down the depth chart WR who may or may not be better than the guy they’ve cut twice. And all but 1 of their entire practice squad are players they cut, and the 1 is a player they cut midseason last year.

Shuffling JAGs makes it look like they're doing something, but are they really?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Are they?

They made one signing after 800+ cuts that wasn’t somebody they cut themselves. 3 players were re-signed that they cut themselves. One of those players they’ve cut, signed and cut again. They made a trade for a down the depth chart WR who may or may not be better than the guy they’ve cut twice. And all but 1 of their entire practice squad are players they cut, and the 1 is a player they cut midseason last year.

Tyler Johnson and Howard are upgrades over what they hàd.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A lot of us weren't happy with our TE or slot WR positions. Instead of going into the season they brought in talent that most here believe are upgrades.

My impression is they are trying to improve the roster with what's available. Unfortunately nobody is cutting or waiving AllPros at the moment

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Could be a nice find by Caserio. I wanted them to add a young RB with juice and 230 lb Gerrid Doakes with 4.58 speed and 39.5” vertical looks like he could be a smash mouth RB. Victim of the numbers game in Mike Mcdaniels’ crowded RB room but could help this team:

Contact Balance: Doaks has a thick frame that is designed to absorb contact. He does well to take on defenders but keeps his momentum sustained to maximize his touches. Doaks runs angry and battles for every inch.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Could be a nice find by Caserio. I wanted them to add a young RB with juice and 230 lb Gerrid Doakes with 4.58 speed and 39.5” vertical looks like he could be a smash mouth RB. Victim of the numbers game in Mike Mcdaniels’ crowded RB room but could help this team:

Contact Balance: Doaks has a thick frame that is designed to absorb contact. He does well to take on defenders but keeps his momentum sustained to maximize his touches. Doaks runs angry and battles for every inch.
They are definitely have a type, don’t they?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Low bar. I continue to think that we could have gone a different direction other than Britt during the offseason. Morrissey and Q should not even be on the team.
I liked Morrisey. I thought he was the plan after Britt. He was young & developing.

But since that 3rd preseason game when I saw Q play with the ones, I was convinced he was better than Morrisey. So I see Q coming in as a good thing. I thought he played well Sunday. I didn't study him, but when I took the time to focus on him, he played well. Did his job.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I liked Morrisey. I thought he was the plan after Britt. He was young & developing.

But since that 3rd preseason game when I saw Q play with the ones, I was convinced he was better than Morrisey. So I see Q coming in as a good thing. I thought he played well Sunday. I didn't study him, but when I took the time to focus on him, he played well. Did his job.
Q 62 % PFF.

Number19

Hall of Fame

I've always considered him on the light side. He's currently listed at about 303 lbs. I'd like a center about 15 lbs heavier, to better anchor the middle of the line. I know a lot of fans prefer the lighter weight at the position, but I've seen our centers getting pushed back into the qb too often. Our offense with DM uses a pocket passer and we have to have a firm anchor in the middle. I'm fine with him as a backup, but we need to upgrade the position. Q is listed as 310; I'm taking a wait and see position on him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've always considered him on the light side. He's currently listed at about 303 lbs. I'd like a center about 15 lbs heavier, to better anchor the middle of the line. I know a lot of fans prefer the lighter weight at the position, but I've seen our centers getting pushed back into the qb too often. Our offense with DM uses a pocket passer and we have to have a firm anchor in the middle. I'm fine with him as a backup, but we need to upgrade the position. Q is listed as 310; I'm taking a wait and see position on him.
Martin was huge & got pushed back regularly. I'm not seeing Q get pushed back, but I'm more impressed with his run blocking.

Give me the guy who can play, regardless how much he weighs.

If we can convert 3rd & short regularly, it'll help our QB out immensely

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Martin was huge & got pushed back regularly. I'm not seeing Q get pushed back, but I'm more impressed with his run blocking.

Give me the guy who can play, regardless how much he weighs.

If we can convert 3rd & short regularly, it'll help our QB out immensely
I thought Linderbaum was the best center prospect to come out in years but he fell due to being small I suspect.

If you have special traits don’t sweat the small stuff. I’d love it if Linderbaum were a Texan!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I never saw what they saw in Pharoah. At least with Akins and Howard, you can see them as runners with the ball.
Good news...He was supposedly a superior blocker to all these other TE's..I never cared for him simply b/c he was a 0 as a run threat when he did get the ball...reminded me of too many guys i knew coming up who were built like Tarzan but played like Jane types....

vtech9

All Pro
Pharoah being cut makes me wonder if the Texans have been working out other TE's. Is he being cut with an injury settlement, and the possibility of going on the practice squad after he clears waivers? It's interesting that we haven't heard about any other TE's coming in.