Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Wishing these guys into the players they were drafted to be is fools gold and a great way to fail. Now…I’m not opposed to the signings in a vacuum. They should be at the bottom of the depth chart, and have a chance to prove they are who their physical profile suggests they can be. But thinking your going to plug one of these guys in across from Sting (while hoping Sting can stay healthy) and call it a day…and think you’ve set yourself up for success is bizarre. Add these two guys and add a mid round rookie, and go the the Super Bowl? The magic 8 ball says try again.

The Texans have the resources to sign proven vets, such as Howard. But they don’t. Or at least haven’t…and history suggests they probably won’t. Don’t give me that it’s all on Ryans. The GM controls the purse strings.

Signing these guys should be like thinking your at the bottom of a bag of peanut M&M’s and realizing you have two blue ones. that’s not even taking into account the epic fail underway at DT. Hopefully something gives or I see them sliding back to the middle of the pack next season.
Put the red pill away, they ain't ready for it.

I was wondering what happened to him. I like him coming out of college. Very smooth, just another CB that I missed on.
If he does everything else well, I don't see how a torn labrum would turn a 1st round talent & turn him into a bum.

You get really comical with your paranoic doomsday rants... :kitten:

Is that even a word? I have a large vocabulary but paranoic?

Btw, the off-season isn’t over. But there are alarm bells ringing. There’s still time to right this ship, but Nick’s failing right now. He’s made two really good moves. One I’m 50/50 on. Everything else feels like bargain bin shopping in the scratch and dent section, and hoping it works. Hope is not a strategy.

Is that even a word? I have a large vocabulary but paranoic?

Btw, the off-season isn’t over. But there are alarm bells ringing. There’s still time to right this ship, but Nick’s failing right now. He’s made two really good moves. One I’m 50/50 on. Everything else feels like bargain bin shopping in the scratch and dent section, and hoping it works. Hope is not a strategy.
How many non-bargain bin signings do you think we could make without putting ourselves into cap hell in the next few years keeping in mind CJs looming contract?
Second question, were not Hunter and Shaair and Mixon good signings?

I may be paranoiac but it’s with reason. If I keep seeing aliens, and aliens are real, am I paranoiac?

You can take Nick out of NE, but you can’t take NE out of Nick. He’s operating like hoodie in the Brady era. It all worked because they had Brady. Once Brady split, it went to bell in a hand basket.

You have a window to grab the brass ring while your QB is on his rookie deal. Be bold, sign real players on defense that can start at a high level and where you know what your getting. quit adding castoffs, rejects, and reclamation projects expecting that Ryans will just throw some magic pixie dust and fix the guy. The secondary and DT groups are five alarm fires right now. Terrible off-season for those groups. Like horrid level bad. LB needs a clear starter and lacks depth and Nick made one move which remains to be seen if he is an upgrade to Cashman. If these things aren’t addressed, no matter how good the DE group is…they will slide back on D into middle of pack at best.

On offense I am not as concerned. they resigned Dalton and added Mixon. They need depth at both positions. And they need one more stud at WR. And they need depth at T and G in case Green is a bust…as it appears at the moment. But I do see some path to fix these items. I’m way more concerned on defense.

I may be paranoiac but it’s with reason. If I keep seeing aliens, and aliens are real, am I paranoiac?

You can take Nick out of NE, but you can’t take NE out of Nick. He’s operating like hoodie in the Brady era. It all worked because they had Brady. Once Brady split, it went to bell in a hand basket.

You have a window to grab the brass ring while your QB is on his rookie deal. Be bold, sign real players on defense that can start at a high level and where you know what your getting. quit adding castoffs, rejects, and reclamation projects expecting that Ryans will just throw some magic pixie dust and fix the guy. The secondary and DT groups are five alarm fires right now. Terrible off-season for those groups. Like horrid level bad. LB needs a clear starter and lacks depth and Nick made one move which remains to be seen if he is an upgrade to Cashman. If these things aren’t addressed, no matter how good the DE group is…they will slide back on D into middle of pack at best.

On offense I am not as concerned. they resigned Dalton and added Mixon. They need depth at both positions. And they need one more stud at WR. And they need depth at T and G in case Green is a bust…as it appears at the moment. But I do see some path to fix these items. I’m way more concerned on defense.
There isn't a player on this roster that Ryans didn't approve of being on it.

Ryans vision of his team looks different than Porky's vision. Shocking

If he does everything else well, I don't see how a torn labrum would turn a 1st round talent & turn him into a bum.
Much like S Jamal Adams now considered at only up front in the box or weak side LB. His problem started with a torn shoulder labrum........when he returned, he almost immediately suffered a torn quad. When shoulders/arms are compromised, the tendency is to try to overcompensate in some way with speed and power using the legs.

Could the Seahawks bring back Jamal Adams to play linebacker?

Last edited:
Asking for this team to sign Howard tells me you only recognize the name and didn't watch him play last year. Howard is the very definition of done and probably still wants to be paid like a star.

I also find it odd that the rest of the NFL isn't beating down his door to sign him, same with Nelson. Did I miss the memo where all GM's are now products of NE's think tank? Weird how that happens and nobody reports on it.

I for one wouldnt mind if Nick was being Nick and got the coach the players he needs....I mean I wouldnt be mad at a handful of Lombardi Trophies on display at Reliant.
I would just hope that Cal will be willing to open the checkbook and keep cornerstone and foundational pieces in order to keep the herd (see what I did there) moving in the right direction and keeping this team and organization a contender for decades.

Asking for this team to sign Howard tells me you only recognize the name and didn't watch him play last year. Howard is the very definition of done and probably still wants to be paid like a star.

I also find it odd that the rest of the NFL isn't beating down his door to sign him, same with Nelson. Did I miss the memo where all GM's are now products of NE's think tank? Weird how that happens and nobody reports on it.
Was that when he was playing Guard or RT?

I don't completely disagree with you, but at the same time I do believe in that MecoMagic. I did not expect the defense would be as good as it was (at times)

I'm not 100% trust in Cap, & I dang sure don't believe in Nick. But I never believed they had the money to make the FA splash many were anticipating.

I understand your objection to signing replacement types, but we had a lot of replacement types to replace, that's why imo, that $75MM wasn't going to go as far as we'd have liked.

Then he (Nick) shoots himself in the foot trading Collins & not landing Arik.

Much like S Jamal Adams now considered at only up front in the box or weak side LB. His problem started with a torn shoulder labrum........when he returned, he almost immediately suffered a torn quad. When shoulders/arms are compromised, the tendency is to try to overcompensate in some way with speed and power using the legs.
Labrum & quad I can see. Heck, labrum for a safety, I can see. But Jamal Adams isn't a bum even with those issues.

If Henderson is just a bum he'd have been a bum with two good shoulders.

Labrum & quad I can see. Heck, labrum for a safety, I can see. But Jamal Adams isn't a bum even with those issues.

If Henderson is just a bum he'd have been a bum with two good shoulders.

Agreed. I see a talented player who has been injured/playing on crappy teams. How often did we see people play crappy on those crappy Texans teams only to go somewhere else and play well when they are put on a better team?

Lets see if a change of scenery and MAYBE being more healthy than previous seasons will help the Texans cash in that lotto ticket.

What the hell is Nick waiting for? An invitation? Oh wait…

It’s money with Howard. He wouldn’t take a pay cut with the Dolphins, so if he signs here he’s expecting the same rate. The fact he hasn’t signed anywhere shows he’s still not asking for a paycut. We’ll see if he changes his mind closer to camp. A lot of these DBs will probably sign after the draft. Teams are waiting to see who they can grab before deciding whether they need to pay a proven vet.

Same way with Steven Nelson. He signed with the Eagles in July after getting cut by Steelers in March waiting for a payday.

Signed with Texans in April the following season still waiting for a payday.

Obviously it would be great to bring in Howard or bring back Nelson… at the right price.

I don't completely disagree with you, but at the same time I do believe in that MecoMagic. I did not expect the defense would be as good as it was (at times)

I'm not 100% trust in Cap, & I dang sure don't believe in Nick. But I never believed they had the money to make the FA splash many were anticipating.

I understand your objection to signing replacement types, but we had a lot of replacement types to replace, that's why imo, that $75MM wasn't going to go as far as we'd have liked.

Then he (Nick) shoots himself in the foot trading Collins & not landing Arik.
I wonder what posters would be saying if Collins hadn't been traded? It's not like Collins was anything more than an avg DT. Obviously Ryans thinks Collins is easily replaceable. In fact it appears to me that he thinks Settle is a better fit in his defense than Collins is. This doesn't mean that they wont be drafting a DT. Thing is, the DT might not be drafted as high or have the body type guys like Porky want them to have.

I've got 2 more things for you?

1. In the beginning of this the rebuild was going to take hold in yr 3 if done correctly and that's exactly what happened, so I dont know why you dont trust Caserio/Ryans?

2. Ryans has proven that he knows the type of talent it's going to take to build an elite defense. They may or may not get all of the holes filled this offseason, but they probably will get most of them filled and regardless the defense will be better next yr and they were a top 11 defense last yr. What this defense really needs is for Petrie to play up to his talent level and Ward to stay healthy. Then add a DT/LB in the draft and take a late rd flier on a CB like Stiggers to develop. If they have to go with Okudah/Henderson and a developmental guy at CB then this doesn't mean the sky is falling. A lot of teams including the 49ers would love to have a CB room of Stingley/Okudah/Henderson and a draft pick like say Melton. To me I think LB is a sneaky big need. There's no depth there. Luckily there's underrated depth in this yrs LB draft Guys like Nate Watson/Jordan Magee/Trevin Wallace and more like the Notre Dame/UCLA LB's should be there in the 4th/5th rd range. They could be Ryans Greenlaw. Of course Ryans could go for a center piece type LB in the 2nd like Cooper/P. Wilson/Coulson.

I get that people have been traumatized by the past in Texans history. But this is totally different in that the GM and scouts know what type of players the HC wants at each position and are working harder than any past GM/Scouts to acquire those players. Caserio/Ryans have earned a large level of trust IMHO.

Last edited:
I wonder what posters would be saying if Collins hadn't been traded? It's not like Collins was anything more than an avg DT. Obviously Ryans thinks Collins is easily replaceable. In fact it appears to me that he thinks Settle is a better fit in his defense than Collins is. This doesn't mean that they wont be drafting a DT. Thing is, the DT might not be drafted as high or have the body type guys like Porky want them to have.
................Fat......Set......Dav.....Hin.....Col
Games... 16.......19........17.......19.......18
Snaps.....415.....413.....481.....542......780
Sks...........0............1..........2.........3.........7
Hits...........2...........1..........4.........1........13
Hur.........14.......12.........17.......12.......28
Tkl..........23.......10.........24........18.......25
Stops.....20........10........19........14........24

Collins is clearly the superior in pass rush. But in stopping the run, Fatukasi and Davis appear to have the better numbers when number of snaps are taken into account.

What is unanswered is, where did these players line up? The 1 gap? The 3 gap? Or out wide in the 5 gap?

................Fat......Set......Dav.....Hin.....Col
Games... 16.......19........17.......19.......18
Snaps.....415.....413.....481.....542......780
Sks...........0............1..........2.........3.........7
Hits...........2...........1..........4.........1........13
Hur.........14.......12.........17.......12.......28
Tkl..........23.......10.........24........18.......25
Stops.....20........10........19........14........24

Collins is clearly the superior in pass rush. But in stopping the run, Fatukasi and Davis appear to have the better numbers when number of snaps are taken into account.

What is unanswered is, where did these players line up? The 1 gap? The 3 gap? Or out wide in the 5 gap?

This is why I think Ryans brought in Fatukasi/Davis/Settle to be his run stoppers and probably will add a guy like Fiske early or Logan Lee later in the draft to add another inside pass rusher to add to Autry inside in pass rushing situations. Not necessarily a guy like Sweat, who I like but doesn't appear to fit what Ryans has wanted in his DT rotation in the past.

I dont know what I'm going to enjoy the most. Ryans going against what he's done in the past and Sweat being the pick, which is what I hope he does. Or the coronary Porky is going to have when Ryans passes on Sweat. Either way this should be very entertaining.

No coronary here lol. I eat my veggies. Tons of them. In fact I am eating a beautiful salad right now.

I trust DeMeco. I don’t trust Nick and all his one and two yr deals and overall stinginess. The only reason we got Hunter is because Hunter really wanted to be here and took a huge discount. Nick is the hoodie with a different name and a vest in place of a hoodie. NE mostly signed jags, rejects, reclamation projects to short term deals. Lots of churn with an unsettled roster. And it worked as long as Brady was around. What happened when Brady left?

No coronary here lol. I eat my veggies. Tons of them. In fact I am eating a beautiful salad right now.

I trust DeMeco. I don’t trust Nick and all his one and two yr deals and overall stinginess. The only reason we got Hunter is because Hunter really wanted to be here and took a huge discount. Nick is the hoodie with a different name and a vest in place of a hoodie. NE mostly signed jags, rejects, reclamation projects to short term deals. Lots of churn with an unsettled roster. And it worked as long as Brady was around. What happened when Brady left?
Ryans calls the shots when it comes to adding players to his team. Caserio may say this player is worth X money wise and that we can get players Y and Z with the same money, which way do you want me to go with this Demeco? With where the franchise is right now you would think you would be happy and think the future is bright. BTW, there will always be deals like the Hunter deal as long as the Texans are contenders some guys will take less money to play with Stroud or want to come home and play with Stroud.

Last edited:
Ryans calls the shots when it commes to adding players to his team. Caserio may say this player is worth X money wise and that we can get players Y and Z with the same money, which way do you want me to go with this Demeco? With where the franchise is right now you would think you would be happy and think the future is right. BTW, there will always be deals like the Hunter deal as long as the Texans are contenders some guys will take less money to play with Stroud or want to come home and play with Stroud.
I'm really happy with the way Caserio sees past the froth and bubble - he is setting this team up for success.
He is a terrific GM.

2 yrs/49 million (48 guaranteed) was a huge discount?!

Having more than three or more big contracts on the roster will eventually hamstring a team which is why having the most expensive piece, the franchise QB, on a rookie deal is so important.
Caserio saw how having good coaches bringing the best out of players was crucial to NE's success with Brady being well paid.
I think Gronk, Gilmore and Hightower were on decent contacts too and maybe Edelman but who else can you name?
You gotta have the JAGs on your team that don't eat up big chunks of your cap and use good coaching to get the best out of them - which is pretty much what happened last year.
Me? I'm excited to see how the rest of this off season goes and watching the new season unfold.

Having more than three or more big contracts on the roster will eventually hamstring a team which is why having the most expensive piece, the franchise QB, on a rookie deal is so important.
Caserio saw how having good coaches bringing the best out of players was crucial to NE's success with Brady being well paid.
I think Gronk, Gilmore and Hightower were on decent contacts too and maybe Edelman but who else can you name?
You gotta have the JAGs on your team that don't eat up big chunks of your cap and use good coaching to get the best out of them - which is pretty much what happened last year.
Me? I'm excited to see how the rest of this off season goes and watching the new season unfold.
You must be forgetting that Brady always took paycuts and smaller contracts so that the team could pay and pursue players

I'd be saying I hope he stays healthy & I'm glad we didn't accrue $10MM of dead money to get rid of him.

No he don't

smh

Let me ask you a couple of questions,

1. If Ryans wants a guy do you think Caserio will get Ryans his guy.

2. When is the last time a Texans GM and HC worked together like Ryans said Caserio and Ryans work together?

Brady was making 10's of millions of dollars less than other QBs. Brady NEVER tried to be the highest paid QB in the league.
The mystery of Tom Brady's salary during his Patriots years - Sports Illustrated

On paper. It's really very difficult to determine how much money these guys have actually received.

If there was a way to look at just guaranteed money I'm sure you'll see Brady has received as much money as any QB of his era. He didn't play the "numbers" game. He was more concerned with the guaranteed amounts.

It’s a paying gamble if a qb takes less salary with the assumption of winning super bowls, becoming a legend, and earning tons of endorsements. Those endorsements are worth a lot more, and they continue to pay even in retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like another Lotto ticket

Bryant is a true underdog story. Very smart player who plays with a chip on his shoulder. Former walk on at University of Washington who became a multi time All Pac 12 CB. UDFA who developed into their starting nickel, but also played safety and returned punts as needed.

He reminds me a lot of Desmond King, who will be his direct competition for a roster spot. I think between those two, this team will have good play with the nickel/ a DB that can fill in at other positions as needed if injuries strike.

I wouldn’t call Bryant a lottery ticket. He was from the same draft class (though he was a UDFA) but he has outplayed Okudah/Henderson in his career so far. Excellent value signing by Caserio!

Side note: He must have really liked that 2020 class of corners!

Last edited:
Back