Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

The Texans drafted Heck in the fourth round in 2020 and he has been with them since. Through four seasons Heck has played in 41 games with 21 starts....
I cannot believe he was brought back.
Is Heck any worse than Kilian Zierer, David Sharpe and Jaylon Thomas? If Howard cannot play, these are our current options to start at RT.

At my last count, Josh Jones was still available, but is he willing to resign a short term, low ball contract? Or is anyone else that is still available? What should we do about RT?

Is Heck any worse than Kilian Zierer, David Sharpe and Jaylon Thomas? If Howard cannot play, these are our current options to start at RT.

At my last count, Josh Jones was still available, but is he willing to resign a short term, low ball contract? Or is anyone else that is still available? What should we do about RT?
Okay you win, we have a bunch of sucky backups! I'm still waiting for Trent Brown to sign with us.

Okay you win, we have a bunch of sucky backups! I'm still waiting for Trent Brown to sign with us.
Is he a fit for our system? I've read his fit is as a gap blocker. I thought we ran variations of zone blocking? He also has problems with controlling his weight. How does this fit with Ryans.

Yosh Nijman is available as a swing OT and he's probably better than Howard.

Yosh Nijman is available as a swing OT and he's probably better than Howard.
With the situation the Texans have at RT, and considering the two players that have been signed ( Sharpe and Heck ), I imagine all options have been approached. The fact that Nijman has not been signed should be a clear indication that whatever the Texans may have offered, Nijman is holding out for more. Or maybe the Texans aren't interested? The Texans effective cap is $16M, and I imagine Caserio has a plan how to use what he has to work with.

With the situation the Texans have at RT, and considering the two players that have been signed ( Sharpe and Heck ), I imagine all options have been approached. The fact that Nijman has not been signed should be a clear indication that whatever the Texans may have offered, Nijman is holding out for more. Or maybe the Texans aren't interested? The Texans effective cap is $16M, and I imagine Caserio has a plan how to use what he has to work with.
After Woods is cut that will give them 21 mil.

If Texans are getting low on available funds and options, they will be very selective of any further acquisitions - especially if they intend to roll some over into next year.
Iow, we may not see any more big signings and may have to wait a while before we see anything further.

If Texans are getting low on available funds and options, they will be very selective of any further acquisitions - especially if they intend to roll some over into next year.
Iow, we may not see any more big signings and may have to wait a while before we see anything further.

They could be done for now, but should keep some rainy day money for in-season moves. They’ll also be watching how the draft plays out.

They have to take 90 guys to camp, that’s how I see the David Sharpe type signings. But for people who want a more “marquee” signing like WR or DT. They have to be someone who can unseat the players currently on the roster. Unless it’s a draft prospect they are planning to have as backup/ST year 1.

It’s pretty interesting they haven’t re-signed Tart at DT after missing on Rankins/Armstead and trading Collins.

Same with not re-signing Josh Jones after trading for him last offseason.

I’d like Barnett re-signed but more I read about it, seems like Autry might have taken that role as an upgraded version. I’d like Barnett back to give Autry more inside snaps as it stands though.

Then at WR, they have to be an upgrade over Woods. Texans don’t need to add another body, they have plenty right now at the position. They need a separator and aside from a trade like Keenan Allen they aren’t gonna find one at the moment.

Where they can add a difference maker in FA right now is in the DB room. But they are in a holding pattern waiting on the draft I suspect. Tons of prospects available where they’re picking that can step in and fill roles. If they don’t hit it in the draft, likely still going to be able to plug holes with a vet like our trusty Nelson bandaid.

They have to take 90 guys to camp, that’s how I see the David Sharpe type signings. But for people who want a more “marquee” signing like WR or DT. They have to be someone who can unseat the players currently on the roster. Unless it’s a draft prospect they are planning to have as backup/ST year 1.

It’s pretty interesting they haven’t re-signed Tart at DT after missing on Rankins/Armstead and trading Collins.

I’d like Barnett re-signed but more I read about it, seems like Autry might have taken that role as an upgraded version. I’d like Barnett back to give Autry more inside snaps as it stands though.

Then at WR, they have to be an upgrade over Woods. Texans don’t need to add another body, they have plenty right now at the position. They need a separator and aside from a trade like Keenan Allen they aren’t gonna find one at the moment.

Where they can add a difference maker in FA right now is in the DB room. But they are in a holding pattern waiting on the draft I suspect. Tons of prospects available where they’re picking that can step in and fill roles. If they don’t hit it in the draft, likely still going to be able to plug holes with a vet like our trusty Nelson bandaid.
FO may have to rethink how much cap they want to roll over into next year - they still have quite a few bodies they need to hit 90.
I just did a quick count and it looks like 70 right now!
Not sure how up to date the list is tho.

...we all know Heck sucks
Based on what? Let's look at the numbers.

Last year Heck had 253 snaps in 5 games, after coming back off IR. He had one bad game. Don't know who he was up against, but he got schooled against Cleveland, giving up 1 Sack, 1Hit, and 11 Hurries. But otherwise, in the other four games, he gave up 0 sacks, 0 hits and only 5 hurries

In 2022, he had 162 snaps in 14 games. Most of these against KC and Tennessee. But for the year, he had 0 sacks, 2 hits and 3 hurries.

So for the two years, 1 sack, 3 hits and 19 hurries, with 11 of those hurries coming in the one game against Cleveland.

Now, his run blocking needs some working on, but I can see why the Texans haven't given up on Heck. Last year should have been his breakout season, had he not gotten injured. 2024 just may be his year.

Based on what? Let's look at the numbers.

Last year Heck had 253 snaps in 5 games, after coming back off IR. He had one bad game. Don't know who he was up against, but he got schooled against Cleveland, giving up 1 Sack, 1Hit, and 11 Hurries. But otherwise, in the other four games, he gave up 0 sacks, 0 hits and only 5 hurries

In 2022, he had 162 snaps in 14 games. Most of these against KC and Tennessee. But for the year, he had 0 sacks, 2 hits and 3 hurries.

So for the two years, 1 sack, 3 hits and 19 hurries, with 11 of those hurries coming in the one game against Cleveland.

Now, his run blocking needs some working on, but I can see why the Texans haven't given up on Heck. Last year should have been his breakout season, had he not gotten injured. 2024 just may be his year.
You go by numbers, I go by what my eyes see and they tell me Heck sucks

Is he a fit for our system? I've read his fit is as a gap blocker. I thought we ran variations of zone blocking? He also has problems with controlling his weight. How does this fit with Ryans.
Other sources that I have read say that he can play in any scheme and had a huge PFF last season with his former team. Main thing is if Tunsil goes down, we can swing Brown. Also, he has not had problem recently with his weight probably due to the incentives in his contract.
Can't remember the team, but yesterday I read an article that an NFL team had just visited with 24 Year old Mekhi Becton but didn't sign. I was fan until his injuries. That article said the team might swivle to older but safer Trent Brown.

I am a Barnett fan also but expect him to want more money than he will end up getting. I think he signs perhaps with Houston.. closer to season. If he's going to be a backup, it really doesn't matter much.

You go by numbers, I go by what my eyes see and they tell me Heck sucks
Heck is a decent backup RT. Unfortunately he didn't live up to what I thought he would become. A Terrance Steele type RT.

OT is still a need, but I would've re-signed Heck.

Heck is a decent backup RT. Unfortunately he didn't live up to what I thought he would become. A Terrance Steele type RT.

OT is still a need, but I would've re-signed Heck.
Terence Steele was an UDFA for Dallas in 2020 and ended up starting his rookie year. His PB grade was 49.1 and his RB grade was 52.6. In 2021 he continued to start, with a PB grade of 60.9 and a RB grade of 67.8. In 2022 his RB was excellant with a grade of 82.1. His PB grade was 63.7.

Heck was drafted in the 4th round the same year as Steele. Tytus Howard, a 1st round pick for Houston in 2019 was the Texans starting RT. Heck had 103 snaps at the end of the season, with a PB grade of 59.9 and a RB grade of 51.7.

So in 2021, what did Houston do but move Howard to LG where he had a disastrous performance. At the end of the season he moved back to RT where he again was outstanding.

Heck started at RT for most of the year, ending with a PB grade of 66.5 and a RB grade of 41.1.

So in 2022 Houston moves Howard back to RT where he performed up to expectations with an outstanding year.

Heck played sparingly behind Howard except at the end of the year when he started against KC and Tennessee. He ended the season with a PB grade of 74.2 and a RB grade of 42.8.

So again what does Houston do in 2023? They move Howard back to LG where he repeats his disastrous 2021 season. Heck however lost his chance at RT when he went on IR to start the season.

Heck is a better Pass Blocker than Steele but not as good at Run Blocking. Heck just needs to have a good pre-season and training camp and let's see if he's starter material this year.

Terence Steele was an UDFA for Dallas in 2020 and ended up starting his rookie year. His PB grade was 49.1 and his RB grade was 52.6. In 2021 he continued to start, with a PB grade of 60.9 and a RB grade of 67.8. In 2022 his RB was excellant with a grade of 82.1. His PB grade was 63.7.

Heck was drafted in the 4th round the same year as Steele. Tytus Howard, a 1st round pick for Houston in 2019 was the Texans starting RT. Heck had 103 snaps at the end of the season, with a PB grade of 59.9 and a RB grade of 51.7.

So in 2021, what did Houston do but move Howard to LG where he had a disastrous performance. At the end of the season he moved back to RT where he again was outstanding.

Heck started at RT for most of the year, ending with a PB grade of 66.5 and a RB grade of 41.1.

So in 2022 Houston moves Howard back to RT where he performed up to expectations with an outstanding year.

Heck played sparingly behind Howard except at the end of the year when he started against KC and Tennessee. He ended the season with a PB grade of 74.2 and a RB grade of 42.8.

So again what does Houston do in 2023? They move Howard back to LG where he repeats his disastrous 2021 season. Heck however lost his chance at RT when he went on IR to start the season.

Heck is a better Pass Blocker than Steele but not as good at Run Blocking. Heck just needs to have a good pre-season and training camp and let's see if he's starter material this year.
A bunch of PFF grades. SMH

Steele has improved throughout the yrs. Heck not so much.

BTW, Howard has never been more than avg at RT. He's never been outstanding.

A bunch of PFF grades. SMH

Steele has improved throughout the yrs. Heck not so much.

BTW, Howard has never been more than avg at RT. He's never been outstanding.
Has Heck had the stability, continuity and opportunity that Steele has had? And PFF is the standard by which players are graded by the NFL media.

Has Heck had the stability, continuity and opportunity that Steele has had? And PFF is the standard by which players are graded by the NFL media.
He's had opportunity and who cares what the media thinks, judges things by? PFF is a flawed system that should only be used as one tool when evaluating players.

Reactions: JB
I was thinking about this earlier today. About 5 to 10 years ago, there was a small, select, mostly retired group of linemen that formed a teaching school for offensive linemen who wanted to/needed to - identify their weaknesses and fix them. There a lot of guys out there who should be able to fill that bill. Munchak and Mathews come to mind .... but they were blessed with skills at birth. I met and talked with Chester Pitts many years ago. He was not only very bright, but willing to discuss different linemen with different skills and different weaknesses. I know each team has their own head and assistant OLine coaches, but there seems to be an infinite number of misdiagnosed or undertrained big guys out there.

With Readers injury I would reconsider. He's not a spring chicken anymore and coming back from that injury to play at a high level....is probably unlikely...but Im not a medical professional...yet.
These were my thoughts in the FA thread:

Last Dec, Reader suffered a season-ending right torn quad tendon tear. In 2020, he suffered a season-ending left torn quad tendon tear, and made a very stronger than expected recovery.

Following such an injury, 40-50% of patients will likely experience a significant strength deficit. Stiffness is almost universal. Functional impairment is reflected in that 50% of patients will be unable to return to their prior level of activity or sports. Reader beat the odds once. It may be too much to expect a similar repeat ending.
Reader is ~4 years older than his first quad injury.......it's a very tough injury even when you are young and light weight.

I still wouldn't mind another DT/NT brought in via FA. Looks like we have an outstanding passing down/nickle DL, but I would hate to see the Texans lack some beef in the middle during short-yardage downs, particularly if Foley or Settle gets injured. If Sweat slides down to our #2 2nd round pick, I'd would be happy picking him up.

I'm thinking FO likes him better for our system.
Plus if anyone can bring the best out of someone, it's Demeco and co.
I know what the stats say but Henderson has the talent to be much better than he was last yr and I think Ryans and the secondary coaches can get the best out of him. Look at what they did with the corners last season and Nelson is still available, but Ryans chose Odukah and probably Henderson over Nelson. This tells me something as to what Ryans looks for in his CB room.

I know what the stats say but Henderson has the talent to be much better than he was last yr and I think Ryans and the secondary coaches can get the best out of him. Look at what they did with the corners last season and Nelson is still available, but Ryans chose Odukah and probably Henderson over Nelson. This tells me something as to what Ryans looks for in his CB room.

It's just Nick dumpster diving. There are legit corners on the street, and he hasn't signed one. It's not because of anything other than pinching pennies. If this guy could play at all, he wouldn't be available. And he appears to have a bad case of the I don't give a damns. You think that fits what Ryans wants? Hardly. If he wanted to sign a vet corner that can actually play, there's Nelson, Howard, Adoree Jackson, Tre Flowers to name a few.

Corner is turning out just like tackle. He dumped Collins to save some pennies. He missed on Rankins and Wilkins over a few relative bucks. Nick is squeezing pennies so hard that Lincoln is screaming more than he did the night he was shot in Ford's Theatre.

I agree and do not know what Henderson's problem was but I expected a whole lot more out of him. I agree also that coaching in Carolina could have been a lot of the problem. There was no way he was going to beat out Jaycee Horn. Perhaps he had just given up on himself although I did see a 2024 interview that he thinks this season could be his last chance and expects to take the most of it. FWIW

I agree and do not know what Henderson's problem was but I expected a whole lot more out of him. I agree also that coaching in Carolina could have been a lot of the problem. There was no way he was going to beat out Jaycee Horn. Perhaps he had just given up on himself although I did see a 2024 interview that he thinks this season could be his last chance and expects to take the most of it. FWIW
Who knows? Perhaps he wasn't trying because of the atmosphere and coaches there.
Let's see if he can get back to where he was here - he obviously has the talent.

These are lottery tickets. Okudah and Henderson both top 10 prospects in 2020 draft that busted with their previous teams. If they are going to turn it around it’ll be with a team like the Texans that boasts a defensive HC and an elite pass rush.

It's just Nick dumpster diving. There are legit corners on the street, and he hasn't signed one. It's not because of anything other than pinching pennies. If this guy could play at all, he wouldn't be available. And he appears to have a bad case of the I don't give a damns. You think that fits what Ryans wants? Hardly. If he wanted to sign a vet corner that can actually play, there's Nelson, Howard, Adoree Jackson, Tre Flowers to name a few.

Corner is turning out just like tackle. He dumped Collins to save some pennies. He missed on Rankins and Wilkins over a few relative bucks. Nick is squeezing pennies so hard that Lincoln is screaming more than he did the night he was shot in Ford's Theatre.
If Ryans wanted the guys you listed, they would be Texans.They have the cap space. Obviously Ryans not only knows what he wants for his defense and it's different than what you want for his defense.

I'll trust Ryans on this one.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Wishing these guys into the players they were drafted to be is fools gold and a great way to fail. Now…I’m not opposed to the signings in a vacuum. They should be at the bottom of the depth chart, and have a chance to prove they are who their physical profile suggests they can be. But thinking your going to plug one of these guys in across from Sting (while hoping Sting can stay healthy) and call it a day…and think you’ve set yourself up for success is bizarre. Add these two guys and add a mid round rookie, and go the the Super Bowl? The magic 8 ball says try again.

The Texans have the resources to sign proven vets, such as Howard. But they don’t. Or at least haven’t…and history suggests they probably won’t. Don’t give me that it’s all on Ryans. The GM controls the purse strings.

Signing these guys should be like thinking your at the bottom of a bag of peanut M&M’s and realizing you have two blue ones. that’s not even taking into account the epic fail underway at DT. Hopefully something gives or I see them sliding back to the middle of the pack next season.

Wishing these guys into the players they were drafted to be is fools gold and a great way to fail. Now…I’m not opposed to the signings in a vacuum. They should be at the bottom of the depth chart, and have a chance to prove they are who their physical profile suggests they can be. But thinking your going to plug one of these guys in across from Sting (while hoping Sting can stay healthy) and call it a day…and think you’ve set yourself up for success is bizarre. Add these two guys and add a mid round rookie, and go the the Super Bowl? The magic 8 ball says try again.

The Texans have the resources to sign proven vets, such as Howard. But they don’t. Or at least haven’t…and history suggests they probably won’t. Don’t give me that it’s all on Ryans. The GM controls the purse strings.

Signing these guys should be like thinking your at the bottom of a bag of peanut M&M’s and realizing you have two blue ones. that’s not even taking into account the epic fail underway at DT. Hopefully something gives or I see them sliding back to the middle of the pack next season.
If Ryans wants a guy and the money is there Ryans gets his guy. It's Caserio's job to do his best to get the guys Ryans wants. BTW, Odukah didn't look bad with the Falcons last yr. I think I'll trust Ryans judgement over Porky's on this one.

These are lottery tickets. Okudah and Henderson both top 10 prospects in 2020 draft that busted with their previous teams. If they are going to turn it around it’ll be with a team like the Texans that boasts a defensive HC and an elite pass rush.
When we see the contracts I might agree with you. Lottery ticket would suggest next to nothing, vet minimum.

You get really comical with your paranoic doomsday rants... :kitten:

I doubt that Ryans uses Henderson in a capacity other than near the box or STs. His pass defense has been atrocious every year............and there's a good reason for it the media hasn't bothered reporting. Henderson played most of his rookie year with a torn labrum (not all that smart). After that season, his labrum was found to be further damaged necessitating major shoulder surgery that offseason. His shoulder (and his performance) has not been the same since college. After labrum surgery, for the 90% that are able to return to play, not uncommonly players will not regain full ROM and strength (neither good for especially a CB that needs to go up for balls)..........and their average career following this injury/surgery is only a little over 4 years.

I doubt that Ryans uses Henderson in a capacity other than near the box or STs. His pass defense has been atrocious every year............and there's a good reason for it the media hasn't bothered reporting. Henderson played most of his rookie year with a torn labrum (not all that smart). After that season, his labrum was found to be further damaged necessitating major shoulder surgery that offseason. His shoulder (nor his performance) has not been the same since college. After labrum surgery, for the 90% that are able to return to play, not uncommonly players will not regain full ROM and strength (neither good for especially a CB that needs to go up for balls)..........and their average career following this injury/surgery is only a little over 4 years.
ugh, thats concerning...and makes the "potential" of our trio of Sting, Odu, and Hen a lot less exciting...

I doubt that Ryans uses Henderson in a capacity other than near the box or STs. His pass defense has been atrocious every year............and there's a good reason for it the media hasn't bothered reporting. Henderson played most of his rookie year with a torn labrum (not all that smart). After that season, his labrum was found to be further damaged necessitating major shoulder surgery that offseason. His shoulder (and his performance) has not been the same since college. After labrum surgery, for the 90% that are able to return to play, not uncommonly players will not regain full ROM and strength (neither good for especially a CB that needs to go up for balls)..........and their average career following this injury/surgery is only a little over 4 years.
I was wondering what happened to him. I like him coming out of college. Very smooth, just another CB that I missed on.

Back