Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans New 2024 Defense

I thought they were done with the Lonnie Johnson era.
I remember while him just being just a JAG for us, he was quite vocal on social media about having Derapist’s back when the sexual assault allegations were coming left to right. He criticized the organization on twitter like his opinion meant sausage to anyone else.

I like that the Texans added former UDFA success stories in FA this offseason. Looking at Al-Shaiir, Autry, and Myles Bryant.

Coaches can single them out in camp as guys who earned their spots ahead of highly drafted players. They are high energy, smart players who play with a chip on their shoulders. Good for the SWARM mentality of this defense and the team’s culture as guy’s who play wherever they are asked and put the team goal above individual accolades.

Then you have the opposite side of the coin:

Okudah/Henderson and to a lesser extent Lonnie Johnson and Derek Barnett/Mario Edwards. Guys who were highly drafted and did not live up to their draft status with their original team. In the case of Barnett/Edwards, they have found their niche to stick around in the league as quality rotational depth. Johnson is finding a role in the NFL as a ST player.

Okudah/Henderson are at a crossroads. Are they going to embrace the change of scenery and resurrect their careers? Or will they wash out like so many highly drafted players do? Tune in at training camp to find out!

I like that the Texans added former UDFA success stories in FA this offseason. Looking at Al-Shaiir, Autry, and Myles Bryant.

Coaches can single them out in camp as guys who earned their spots ahead of highly drafted players. They are high energy, smart players who play with a chip on their shoulders. Good for the SWARM mentality of this defense and the team’s culture as guy’s who play wherever they are asked and put the team goal above individual accolades.

Then you have the opposite side of the coin:

Okudah/Henderson and to a lesser extent Lonnie Johnson and Derek Barnett/Mario Edwards. Guys who were highly drafted and did not live up to their draft status with their original team. In the case of Barnett/Edwards, they have found their niche to stick around in the league as quality rotational depth. Johnson is finding a role in the NFL as a ST player.

Okudah/Henderson are at a crossroads. Are they going to embrace the change of scenery and resurrect their careers? Or will they wash out like so many highly drafted players do? Tune in at training camp to find out!
That is the way I see it.
All these guys have an opportunity here - not just to resurrect their careers, but a chance to contend for the big dance on an ascending team.

That thumper type is pretty rare these days when teams play more nickel than base D.

It'll be interesting to see if Azeez Al-Shaair plays in the nickel, as his pass coverage is reported as suspect. If not it'll be interesting to see who the other coverage linebacker is who will play next to Christian Harris.

PS. I expect Harris to take a big step this year. It looked like it was all coming together for him at the end of last year.

It'll be interesting to see if Azeez Al-Shaair plays in the nickel, as his pass coverage is reported as suspect. If not it'll be interesting to see who the other coverage linebacker is who will play next to Christian Harris.

PS. I expect Harris to take a big step this year. It looked like it was all coming together for him at the end of last year.

I'd like to see them draft Cole Bishop and play him as a 3rd safety/Nickel LB

Also, Jamal Hill LB from Oregon said he's met with the Texans multiple times and they told him they see him in the mold of Christian Harris.

He's played corner, safety and most recently LB.

I don’t think the Texans gave Al-Shaair that size of contract and not be a 3 down player. He will have to play himself out of that role.

Back