Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans New 2024 Defense

Wait until the end of FA/Draft, Caserio/Ryans aren't through building the defense. They're going to upgrade the CB/S positions in addition to adding Odukah.

This defense is going to be a defense that will rival the Watt/Ryans/Cushing/JoJo/Manning defenses. Depending on who else they add probably better. Good times are ahead.

Wait until the end of FA/Draft, Caserio/Ryans aren't through building the defense. They're going to upgrade the CB/S positions in addition to adding Odukah.

This defense is going to be a defense that will rival the Watt/Ryans/Cushing/JoJo/Manning defenses. Depending on who else they add probably better. Good times are ahead.

agreed... I will say, though, the only thing in the NFL that may have improved as much as the Texan's defensive roster is our strength of schedule- that schedule is for real!, following this year's cupcakes, it may be quite a challenge to get to 10 wins again this season.

agreed... I will say, though, the only thing in the NFL that may have improved as much as the Texan's defensive roster is our strength of schedule- that schedule is for real!, following this year's cupcakes, it may be quite a challenge to get to 10 wins again this season.
I see them going 5-1 in division.

I'm giving a loss to the NYJ because I bench anybody that I consider a key cog to the team. No more getting hurt on that crap turf.

I see them going 5-1 in division.

I'm giving a loss to the NYJ because I bench anybody that I consider a key cog to the team. No more getting hurt on that crap turf.

I think 5-1 makes sense.. Frankly, they probably need that to get into the playoffs. 6-0 isn't out of the question, IMO. We would need a ton of luck (facing teams with significant injury issues, etc.) and a magical season to get to 11 or 12 wins this year.

sad-oh-yeah-oh-yeah.gif

Justin Simmons next

Have you seen all the switching around players have been doing the last 2 days? The Texans aren’t going to be the same as they were last year. Better hopefully, but the teams on our 1st place schedule aren’t going to be the same as they were last year. Though it could even out as some may be better while others fall off.

You put a team together that can compete and you lineup and play. Always helps to have a top end QB though and we seem to have one of those.

I don’t know who that is..but I’m assuming you like him as a draft prospect and he’s 1 of the top guys?
Quinyon Mitchell CB Toledo

He covered every WR like a glove at the Sr. Bowl and then lit up the combine. The biggest knock on him was level of competition. He answered these questions to the point of there's a debate whether Mithell or Alabama's Arnold is CB1 in this draft.

Last edited:
Right now we probably have just about the best pass rush in the entire league. We still have some question marks in the secondary, so picking up a safety makes a ton of sense to me. And either get Nelson back or we should probably draft a CB pretty high.

I am also a little uneasy about stopping the run. Yeah, al-shaair should help here some, but our D-line is basically all pass rushers. I would like a space eater here as well. Getting Rankins back would be fine for me.

I would really like to get a WR within our first two picks (and a HB within our first 3). But I actually think that CB is the most pressing need right now (with Collins and Dell we have two studs at WR, with Brown we have a legit #3, with Hutchinson and Metchie we have two projects that at least have shown some talent).

Right now we probably have just about the best pass rush in the entire league. We still have some question marks in the secondary, so picking up a safety makes a ton of sense to me. And either get Nelson back or we should probably draft a CB pretty high.

I am also a little uneasy about stopping the run. Yeah, al-shaair should help here some, but our D-line is basically all pass rushers. I would like a space eater here as well. Getting Rankins back would be fine for me.

I would really like to get a WR within our first two picks (and a HB within our first 3). But I actually think that CB is the most pressing need right now (with Collins and Dell we have two studs at WR, with Brown we have a legit #3, with Hutchinson and Metchie we have two projects that at least have shown some talent).

I'm less worried about stopping the run as I am putting the fear of God into the other team's QB. Fact is this is a passing league now so if you are just ok against the run but great at getting to the QB you are going to win more games than you lose than you would if that was flipped.

I'm less worried about stopping the run as I am putting the fear of God into the other team's QB. Fact is this is a passing league now so if you are just ok against the run but great at getting to the QB you are going to win more games than you lose than you would if that was flipped.

Especially if you’re scoring points on offense. Running the ball becomes obsolete when they’ve got to put some points on the board just to stay in the game.

Especially if you’re scoring points on offense. Running the ball becomes obsolete when they’ve got to put some points on the board just to stay in the game.
Not if you're able to consistently move the sticks and gash them with the occasional big run.
When you can do that, it is so satisfying to watch.

I don’t really know Armstead - his numbers don’t look that special (say compared to Autry) and he doesn’t seem to be a space eater. Can someone sell me on him?

I don’t really know Armstead - his numbers don’t look that special (say compared to Autry) and he doesn’t seem to be a space eater. Can someone sell me on him?
He's not a pass rusher, he clogs up the middle and fills gaps so your other guys can make plays. Not a flashy guy like Hunter who gets the QB pressures, but an important piece of keeping the QB in the pocket to enable the pass rushers to make plays.

After getting carved up by Jackson over and over, I want this
The defensive front is now very athletic, as are Harris/Al Shaair. It would be great if they could add P. Wilson and his 4.4 speed to the LB corps.

Last edited:
I don’t know who that is..but I’m assuming you like him as a draft prospect and he’s 1 of the top guys?
Small school player but you should really research him as he looks to be the real deal. I still have Terrion Arnold ahead of him but would love to have Mitchell also.

I’m predicting top 5 easily.

View attachment 13766

Pass rush is definitely upgraded. Hunter is a direct upgrade over Greenard. While it would have been nice to retain Rankins, he costs more money than Autry who is currently the superior player.

Not sure why they let Collins go but in DeMeco I trust. They’ve added two rotational level DL in Foley and Settle, but I don’t expect that they are done yet.

They paid Al-Shaiir more than Cashman received. I think he is wearing the green dot and a more consistent player. Both in availability and tackling. Harris will get to be the run and chase backer, I expect him to pick up where he left off in year 3.

Okudah is a low risk/high reward signing. Like Shaq Griffin last season. If he hits you have a talented CB2. He hasn’t been the same since his injuries but he was a #3 overall pick at one time for a reason.

The Lonnie Johnson signing doesn’t concern me. He has not lived up to his draft status but has earned a living on ST since leaving the Texans. The team must think he can compete for a role on ST. In Frank Ross I trust!

If they're angling for a player like him, what about Cooper from TAMU?
I have him going before Wilson but I don't like him as well. I see Cooper mainly as a weak side linebacker and Wilson can play all. While Cooper is a linebacker, I also see him & may prefer him as a nickel linebacker playing in the Box. I just don't want that type of guy in upper round two.

I have him going before Wilson but I don't like him as well. I see Cooper mainly as a weak side linebacker and Wilson can play all. While Cooper is a linebacker, I also see him & may prefer him as a nickel linebacker playing in the Box. I just don't want that type of guy in upper round two.
I see Wilson as a wlb to whereas Cooper is a striker/Blitzer.

Reactions: JB
I think Khalil Davis was an underrated re-signing at DT. Only 27 years old and this was his first year of significant NFL playing time. He showed some pass rush potential and I think he can carve out a role in the rotation. DT like the OL positions usually don’t get immediate return from rookies.

Davis has now had 4 years of professional football under his belt and now is the time to start seeing the rewards of that development.

Cooper may not be as fast as Wilson but has superior recognition and a special burst to the ball. I can’t see us passing him at 42 if he’s there. I could actually see us trading up for him. Basing that on an interview I heard where it was said Meeko interviewEd him and was very impressed with him.

I see Wilson as a wlb to whereas Cooper is a striker/Blitzer.
I see both Wilson/Cooper as guys that can play all of the LB positions. I've got Wilson rated higher, but can certainly understand why you would pick Cooper over Wilson due to injury concerns.

Back