Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans New 2024 Defense

Cooper may not be as fast as Wilson but has superior recognition and a special burst to the ball. I can’t see us passing him at 42 if he’s there. I could actually see us trading up for him. Basing that on an interview I heard where it was said Meeko interviewEd him and was very impressed with him.
I disagree with the recognition part of this post. Wilson has great recognition skills, it's probably the strongest part of his game. Cooper is also very good at this part of the game.

I think Khalil Davis was an underrated re-signing at DT. Only 27 years old and this was his first year of significant NFL playing time. He showed some pass rush potential and I think he can carve out a role in the rotation. DT like the OL positions usually don’t get immediate return from rookies.

Davis has now had 4 years of professional football under his belt and now is the time to start seeing the rewards of that development.
I did like what little I saw of him this year and think this could be his Breakout year. Hope so anyway

I see both Wilson/Cooper as guys that can play all of the LB positions. I've got Wilson rated higher, but can certainly understand why you would pick Cooper over Wilson due to injury concerns.
exactly my thoughts but I don't want to trade up to get either if we can get the other lower. And that would be true for any draft positions. I still think we're going to be okay with the pics this year.

exactly my thoughts but I don't want to trade up to get either if we can get the other lower. And that would be true for any draft positions. I still think we're going to be okay with the pics this year.
Trading up to finish out a dominant front 7 cant be a bad thing.

I see both Wilson/Cooper as guys that can play all of the LB positions. I've got Wilson rated higher, but can certainly understand why you would pick Cooper over Wilson due to injury concerns.
I'm not picking one or the other, I'm just saying that Cooper is a lot more physical at the point and can strike. Also, he doesn't have injury concerns. He can play strong backer and also is fast enough to stay on the field in passing situations

Anyone think Meco might be more in an odd front this year? Anderson and Hunter outside with Harris and AlShaaiir inside with the Autry,Settle,and Davis as the dl
There is the opportunity to switch fronts without substitutions isn’t there? Because Hunter can play as OLB and Autry can play DE? Am I right in thinking we can get very creative even against a hurry up O?

Both Pitre and Ward seem capable of playing different positions also do they have a lot of flexibility in the back end also, hopefully they can both be healthy this year and bounce back!

I like both of them a lot. This is not a great LB draft but I would be really happy with either.

Good article by John Harris breaking down the DL:

I particularly found the part on draft prospect targets by selection interesting:

JH Crush List - Rookies by Texans draft selection THAT MAKE SENSE
Even with all of the changes on the Texans' defensive front, I would not be surprised to see the Texans make a move to select another defensive lineman, be it inside or outside, in this draft. Now, I don't think this group is brimming with a plethora of options (like at WR or OT), but there are some strong options for the Texans, even after trading their first round pick.
2nd round - 42nd overall currently
DE/DT Darius Robinson, Missouri (6-5 ⅛, 285 lb)

DT T'Vondre Sweat, Texas (6-4 ½, 366 lb)
DT Braden Fiske, Florida State (6-4 ⅝, 292 lb)
2nd round - 59th overall currently
DT Kris Jenkins Jr, Michigan (6-2 ¾, 299 lb)
DT/DE Brandon Dorlus, Oregon (6-3, 283 lb)

DE Bralen Trice, Washington (6-3 ½, 245 lb)
DE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan (6-3, 267 lb)
3rd round - 86th overall currently
DE Chris Braswell, Alabama (6-3 ⅝, 251 lb)
DT Maason Smith, LSU (6-5 ⅛, 306 lb)

DT Leonard Taylor III, Miami, FL (6-3 ½, 303 lb)
DT/DE Gabe Hall, Baylor (6-6, 291 lb)
4th round - 123rd and 127th overall currently
DT McKinnley Jackson, Texas A&M (6-1 ½, 326 lb)
DT DeWayne Carter, Duke (6-2 ⅜, 302 lb)

DT Tyler Davis, Clemson (6-2, 301 lb)
DT Fabien Lovett, Florida State (6-3 ⅞, 314 lb)
DT Jordan Jefferson, LSU (6-2 ¾, 313 lb)
DT/DE Justin Eboigbe, Alabama (6-2 ¾, 313 lb)
5th round - No picks currently

DE Brennan Jackson, Washington State (6-3 ⅞, 254 lb)
6th round - 188th overall
OLB Jalyx Hunt, Houston Christian (6-3 ¾, 252 lb)
7th round - 238th 247th & 252nd overall
DE Cedric Johnson, Ole Miss (6-3, 260 lb)

DT Jaylon Hutchings, Texas Tech (6-0, 310 lb)
DT Justin Rogers, Auburn (6-2 ½, 330 lb)

I particularly found the part on draft prospect targets by selection interesting:

Even with all of the changes on the Texans' defensive front, I would not be surprised to see the Texans make a move to select another defensive lineman, be it inside or outside, in this draft. Now, I don't think this group is brimming with a plethora of options (like at WR or OT), but there are some strong options for the Texans, even after trading their first round pick.

I think a mid round pick on Maason Smith is worth the risk even if we take DT elsewhere. There is a lot of Chris Jones to his game and I think Demeco is the coach that could reach him if any could.

I think a mid round pick on Maason Smith is worth the risk even if we take DT elsewhere. There is a lot of Chris Jones to his game and I think Demeco is the coach that could reach him if any could.

DeMeco defenses have a tendency to get people paid. I’d expect that trend to continue.

This is about right.

I've got Hant rated much higher as well as Brennan Jackson.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind if we were to draft one of these guys at 42 and another at 59 if available. Sweat is underrated because people want to label him a 2down player NT Type Because of his size. He has wiggle and finesse in his repertoire. He’s not just a blog in the middle. But what impresses me most about him might be the best run stuffer I’ve ever seen. Once he makes contact with ball carrier the play is over. And he doesn’t get moved back, ever.

Three of my favorite players in this draft. I hope we get at least one of them.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind if we were to draft one of these guys at 42 and another at 59 if available. Sweat is underrated because people want to label him a 2down player NT Type Because of his size. He has wiggle and finesse in his repertoire. He’s not just a blog in the middle. But what impresses me most about him might be the best run stuffer I’ve ever seen. Once he makes contact with ball carrier the play is over. And he doesn’t get moved back, ever.

Three of my favorite players in this draft. I hope we get at least one of them.
I would love to get Robinson & Sweat

I just love how one guy beat the S-2 score, so the test is invalid.

That's like saying because the worst student in a class passed a test then the test is invalid.

I just love how one guy beat the S-2 score, so the test is invalid.

That's like saying because the worst student in a class passed a test then the test is invalid.

First the test is just information like anything else and is not meant to be the end all, be all of who will be a HoF and who will be a bust. If teams use just it to determine who they draft then they deserve what they get just as if they had drafted their first round guy based on nothing but one scouts advice.

That being said it wasn't just that CJ did horrible on the test and Young did great while on the field the reserve is true that is making people question the test. That just brought it into the public's eye but there have been alot of people saying the S2 is a very poor measurement stick. Take a look at this article that came out before everyone knew how the season would play out.

What really stood out to me is that the test is basically a video game and can be taken with an Xbox controller. Also apparently only 2 teams per division can subscribe to it with Tits and Dolts being the ones for AFCS. Honestly the more you learn about the S2 test and the company that runs it the more a scam it appears.

All this being said I for one love the S2 test as there were lots of reports saying it was what pushed Tepper over the line to force the drafting of Young. Still not sure it wasn't the Texans that leaked the results even though they weren't suppose to have them. Don't forget Caserio was a Patriot, wouldn't be the first time he's gotten information he wasn't suppose to have.

First the test is just information like anything else and is not meant to be the end all, be all of who will be a HoF and who will be a bust. If teams use just it to determine who they draft then they deserve what they get just as if they had drafted their first round guy based on nothing but one scouts advice.

That being said it wasn't just that CJ did horrible on the test and Young did great while on the field the reserve is true that is making people question the test. That just brought it into the public's eye but there have been alot of people saying the S2 is a very poor measurement stick. Take a look at this article that came out before everyone knew how the season would play out.

What really stood out to me is that the test is basically a video game and can be taken with an Xbox controller. Also apparently only 2 teams per division can subscribe to it with Tits and Dolts being the ones for AFCS. Honestly the more you learn about the S2 test and the company that runs it the more a scam it appears.
Young dad is also a psychologist too and have been taking those type of test for awhile. There are throws that CJ could make because of his size that Young couldn't make especially outside the numbers.

Still need a Fred Warner
Fred Werner wasn't the player we see today after yr 1 or 2. He was a 5th rd pick who developed

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Warner was a 3rd round pick out of BYU that led the Niners in tackles as a rookie. As he has each of his 6 years in the league. Every team wants a Fred Warner. There's just not enough of them to go around.

It appears the Texans are aiming for certain size thresholds for positions aside from the occasional outlier (Tank at WR).

The CB room now only has three players sub 6 ft. All are at least 190 lbs.

CJ Henderson combine measurements 6’ 3/4” 204 lbs
Desmond King II25CB5-10200297Iowa
Jeff Okudah30CB6-1202254Ohio State
Troy Pride28CB5-11195263Notre Dame
D'Angelo Ross37CB5-9190272New Mexico
Derek Stingley Jr.24CB6-0190222LSU
Mike Ford38DB6-0194286Southeast Missouri State
Lonnie Johnson Jr.DB6-2213285Kentucky
Josh ThompsonDB6-0194252Texas

It appears the Texans are aiming for certain size thresholds for positions aside from the occasional outlier (Tank at WR).

Now if we could just get some good as well as big cornerbacks to go with Stingley!

I think Hinish is the odd man out. Foley and Settle are the early 2 down run stoppers, Autry and Edwards are going to be the pass rush tackles

Agreed. I’d throw Davis into the pass rush down mix as well.

Really excited to see how they use Autry this season. They did not have a player like him last year that can play outside/bump inside on pass downs.

Interesting note: Edwards and Autry have played together four of their previous seasons in the league. 2015-17 (Raiders) and 2022 (Titans).

Last edited:
I think Hinish is the odd man out. Foley and Settle are the early 2 down run stoppers, Autry and Edwards are going to be the pass rush tackles
I'm not sure about that. Fatukasi played for JAX, Settle for BUF and Davis and Hinish for HST. It's not always apples to apples when comparing different defenses, but let's look at the numbers.

................Fat......Set......Dav.....Hin
Games... 16.......19........17.......19
Snaps.....415.....413.....481.....542
Sks.........0..........1..........2.........3
Hits........2..........1..........4.........1
Hur.........14.......12.........17.......12
Tkl.........23.......10.........24........18
Stops....20........10........19........14

Fatukasi and Davis look like the better 2. And I'd say Hinnish may edge out Settle. But they're all about the same.

I'm not sure about that. Fatukasi played for JAX, Settle for BUF and Davis and Hinish for HST. It's not always apples to apples when comparing different defenses, but let's look at the numbers.

Fatukasi and Davis look like the better 2. And I'd say Hinnish may edge out Settle. But they're all about the same.
Now we will see if the coaches can bring some hidden extra talent out of 'em.

I can't think of a less vital stat to determine the value of run stuffing DTs than the number of tackles and sacks.

Despite the poor outcome of the game, Harris really impressed me against the Ravens in the playoffs.
Imagine if they added another fast playmaking LB like Cooper/Wilson/Coulson/Watson/Wallace to Harris/Al Shaair. The pass defense would also look much better with 3 really fast guys patrolling the 2nd level of the defense.

Imagine if they added another fast playmaking LB like Cooper/Wilson/Coulson/Watson/Wallace to Harris/Al Shaair. The pass defense would also look much better with 3 really fast guys patrolling the 2nd level of the defense.

I’m warming up to the idea of getting a 3rd LB. Cooper is my favorite of the big 3. But I wouldn’t mind going all Michigan day 2. Colson/Jenkins/Sainristil!

I’m warming up to the idea of getting a 3rd LB. Cooper is my favorite of the big 3. But I wouldn’t mind going all Michigan day 2. Colson/Jenkins/Sainristil!

LB is the only position group on the Texans' defense that doesn't have NFL-caliber players to fill the roster once the season starts so I think we are likely to see them take a LB on day two.

LB is the only position group on the Texans' defense that doesn't have NFL-caliber players to fill the roster once the season starts so I think we are likely to see them take a LB on day two.
who are the NFL quality cornerbacks behind Stingley? Only Nickelback Desmond King might qualify.

who are the NFL quality cornerbacks behind Stingley? Only Nickelback Desmond King might qualify.

Lonnie Johnson
Mike Ford
Akudah
CJ Henderson

(now, I'm not asserting these are all stars. However, all of them can be justified as a CB #3-5)

Lonnie Johnson
Mike Ford
Akudah
CJ Henderson

(now, I'm not asserting these are all stars. However, all of them can be justified as a CB #3-5)
You need to do some research; those guys are JAGs with a lot of potential that might become starters for us.
I have to correct myself as one of them at least will have to be the starter opposite stingly because we have no other choice. Okudha was a starter but fell apart after his first season (?).

Lonnie Johnson
Mike Ford
Akudah
CJ Henderson

If LJ stays on the roster, it will be as a ST guy.
They have to take 90 guys into training camp so they are hoping one will revive their career.

Lonnie Johnson
Mike Ford
Akudah
CJ Henderson

We have guys drafted higher than the backup LBs but in terms of what they’ve done in the league they are about on par with Hansen/To’o To’o.

For me, it looks like Ryans is implementing his defense in specific this off-season. The DLmen are split into four specific roles. DE (nine techniques)...flex DE/DT...Run stuffer Dt...classic 3 tech...At outside CB these are all height/weight/speed guys ...slot CB are shorter quicker guys.

The mock drafters should be paying attention to this.

Does it seem like Lonnie Johnson should be at about 33 by now?

Back