Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Minicamp, OTA’s and Preseason

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Tyrod Taylor took a personal day, allowing Davis Mills to run with the ones but did not have a good day. He threw 5 interceptions, and struggled to hit open receivers. One of the worst QB training camp performances in Texans history.

Driskell couldn’t hit an open barn, as he threw a bunch of grounders.

I guess welcome to the post Watson era, right?

RB David Johnson had a case of fumbleitis today rewarding the defense the 6th turnover of the day.
Let's qualify Mill's performance somewhat. The entire day was a Red Zone day.............requiring tight quarters with much faster pace............a heck of a trial-by-fire introduction for a rookie. With his 5 Ints, he also threw 2 TDs. Two of the 5 Ints were by non-rookie S Justin Reed.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Hi friends, old and new.

This is the time of year that I try to help fans figure out what is going on with the Texans in training camp as I am figuring it out. I don't hang out here as much any more because busy and avoiding injury from sitting too much, but I think of y'all often, and because of the support of this forum, I ended up doing the media thing as one of my hats. If everyone in the fanbase contributes in the ways they can, it makes stuff better, she says as someone who enjoys other peoples' BBQ and beverages.

Preliminary thoughts:

* I started writing back when the number of media members was few. I got frustrated that it was hard to figure out what was happening at camp. Now there is in-house media, traditional media, more participation from radio/tv, new media. More is better, even if you may not like their tone. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses as an analyst, and if you can get past tone issues, and filter info, you can figure some things out.

Like sometimes people think I am too harsh or soft, or mean or nice, and I think that comes from people's preferences. Like sometimes people like truths in a brutal way, though people who enjoy the brutal truth, sometimes like the brutality more than the truth. I try to be fair though some people read that as being soft. Whatev. Take what works for you and leave the rest.

* It is VERY hard to communicate what you are seeing at camp to people who are not there. Sometimes people take something innocuous what you say, and make it into something bigger or smaller, or magnify good or bad days.

* The best days at camp are the ones with no real news tbh. It is easier to spot trends over days than it is to do it day to day.

* Though body language in sports IS important, particularly for leadership positions, I think over-reading body language, particularly in training camp, is a bit much and can be unfair.

* It is the weirdest time in franchise history, I say as someone who was a moderator here during the infamous surprise choice of Mario Williams that maxed out users and led to many violations of forum policies. It may be the weirdest situation in modern NFL history. Like money disputes are normal. The unresolved issues from last year into this year, the surprises at GM and HC and retaining VP of Ops, have created a weird transition. The very serious and unresolved lawsuits and police investigations of a QB who does not want to be here and wants a trade is also weird and unsettling. Also, COVID makes stuff weird, and it makes covering training camp a little weird.

* As a general rule, the more emotional the topic, the more I try to use very precise, descriptive language, and take care to express the difference between what I know and what I think. Ultimately, I don't get into optimism or pessimism, and my current orientation toward the team is that I want all Houston sports teams to be healthy, and right now, everyone would likely agree that the current stance of things does not feel that way. Lots of mutual distrust, fear, anger. It is much easier to analyze football than feelzball.

* How does COVID make covering camp more difficult? There are limited close contact media badges so some media members cannot ask questions. Where the media area is laid out is not ideal for hearing questions or answers. The area where we can stand is more limited in the past. So if there is work done on a far away field, good luck seeing what is going on.

* Some things you can't answer due to media rules that are intended to allow us to share stuff but not so much that it benefits opponents.

Camp thoughts generally:

Here are some observations-

* Watson being there is both weird and not weird.

Early in camp he does drills that if you didn't know something weird was happening, you wouldn't know. Then later, in team period, he participates in different ways. Sometimes feeds balls to Mills. Sometimes stands behind the offense looking at the field during team. Sometimes to the side. Sometimes talks to QBs/coaches/teammates. Sometimes stands by himself. Like there is a bunch of things happening over many fields.

Analysis: People are reading different things into this. My personal thought given the universe of things I know and think I know. I believe that the Texans and Watson both want a trade. Issue is proper value. Proper value is extremely difficult because of the serious nature of the lawsuits/police investigations/NFL uncertainty of punishment/blowback and his abilities and the difficulties of obtaining QB. I wrote about the Watson issues and trade in depth in March. (Not a topic I have any interest in discussing in terms of fair value because among strangers, discussing that is emotionally unpleasant and tends to trivialize real issues even if that is not the intent. That's why I made it a standalone blog post).

I think there are talks. It only takes one team to decide it is worth various knowable and unknowable risks. Personally, I do not think you can properly vet Watson's issues as an outside team because police do not share their investigations with outsiders, they do share some info with his lawyer, but they are not obligated to share fully or at all, particularly this early.

Him being at camp and at least observing things creates at least the theoretical possibility that he stays. Which doesn't depress the value of the trade. He's under contract. For various reasons I explained in March, I do not think the exempt list is imminent though Roger Goodell is not afraid of inviting legal conflict with the NFLPA. Peter King has floated the idea of him staying sorta "for the children" until Watson's cases are better resolved and he has better trade value. I don't know that the Texans would want that actually, even if it is pretty clear, by just football terms, he is the best player on the team.

* Offense

General not impressed face gif at this point.

As for the rest of the QBs, yes, I know it is early, but oof, it just feels fully like another QB carousel year. With the added component of not feeling like an offensive scheme that looks like a coherent whole. Maybe there is, but I don't see it, and it hasn't really been articulated fully. Culley has mentioned running. Kelly has mentioned an exciting offense. Just overall, and not surprising given all the changes, the offense looks really far behind where offenses usually are at this time before the first preseason game. (Caveat. I did not attend last year's COVID camp. Ramp ups are supposed to be slower but just as an observation, it seems like WHAT how many days before a pre season game?)

Taylor. Lots of batted down balls, throws in the short middle. Some moving pocket stuff looks better.

Mills. It is really hard for rookies who are not in a QB friendly, proven scheme to really shine. It is hard to learn in front of the world. Watson didn't really impress from the get go but part of that was some of his best gifts are not within scheme, and well, not impressed with OB's scheme. I don't need to tell folks here about how difficult it is for rookies to jump into weird situations and shine. He looks the part, but not sure what he is working on specifically as far as results are going. Nothing oh wow to me yet but even if it wasn't a weird year, rolling the dice on QBs especially when you have respected NFL QB coach on staff has some value.

Very overly early guess:

They are going to try to do the no real QB thing: Focus on defense and being good at running the ball, pick your spots with QB play, including some tricky things, focus on special teams and just general try hard teamwork. That can steal games against superior talent/scheme teams, and if your defense is good enough, and your QB can rise to the occasion, you can succeed that way but it isn't easy.

Sort of a Baltimore/Brady's first year intention which would be their best case given current stance of team. Worst case would be many years of Texans futility.

Basically playing to strengths: I think the offensive line/running backs look like they might be able to do some things barring injury as sort of a contrarian to the modern NFL thing, playing to strengths.

From a fantasy football perspective, waiting for pads, seeing which RBs stay healthy in this heat. (Minor note. In the past with the heat we have right now, the team has sometimes started camp earlier in the morning. Like you'd have to check your email before camp to see if they moved up the time. 9:00/9:15 start.)

* Defense/Special Teams

The teaching on the defense looks more normal to my eye. Can't really tell much about them without pads. Lots of work on special teams, and I think they need that to maybe steal from teams with better schemes/carry over chemistry. At a minimum, it seems as though players are more excited about see ball, get ball, and using their athleticism more instead of reacting so much. Figuring out fits of players may be different but at least it won't be trying to run a defense where you do not have the grown men roster to run it.

* Overall Too Early Impression

I was underwhelmed by OB's coordinator/position coach staff. So just having NFL people who know the game a bit and have had some level of success may be of benefit. That said, it reminds a bit of the early Capers years: Can various NFL coaches who have shiny resumes and some old heads put a coherent whole together that works for the roster they have, whatever that ends up being?

I know competition is said a lot, and I wonder how real players can be when they have little security on the team, and it gets over said. But yeah, I didn't like the level of competition and hunger on OB's squads ever, and particularly in recent years.

Anyway, this is very general, and not very specific. For the individual players, at this point it is more like, do they look the part, do they perform like they belong on a NFL field? That seems kind of basic, but that has not always been the case. It is very rare that you see a player that flashes immediately, and that is usually a position where you can do that in early camp. I am not a hype person.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions or want more context behind a report you've heard, please ask here. I will answer what I can. Some things you can't answer obviously. I will check in and out while I am trying to stay out of this heat. If you are reading this far later then when I am checking in, you can @ me on Twitter too - @StephStradley

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Hard to say without pads. Early camp in particular isn't a good judge. I focus more on RBs: 1. Late in camp; 2. If one really shows out (like Foster did, and is rare rare rare), 3. Really paying attention to injuries given age/past use.

One thing camp is helpful with is just seeing frame composition up close. TV or even in person with pads from far away can make it hard to really get. He doesn't have a traditional running back shape. He kind of looks like a big WR as far as his frame.

This camp is also hard to eval because less familiarity with what they are trying to do with scheme. Like on paper, you would think you would have people to work with on the offensive line, RB, but I don't have a great feel if this is all going to work together well. I do think they are going to want to make it work, so I would think there will be a lot of attempts. OC is the same, RB coach is the same, but the hope is that the Oline makes more sense.

Dejaview

All Pro
Let's qualify Mill's performance somewhat. The entire day was a Red Zone day.............requiring tight quarters with much faster pace............a heck of a trial-by-fire introduction for a rookie. With his 5 Ints, he also threw 2 TDs. Two of the 5 Ints were by non-rookie S Justin Reed.
Was this pass only red zone drills? Harris never mentioned any runs, just passes.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Tyrod Taylor took a personal day, allowing Davis Mills to run with the ones but did not have a good day. He threw 5 interceptions, and struggled to hit open receivers. One of the worst QB training camp performances in Texans history.

RB David Johnson had a case of fumbleitis today rewarding the defense the 6th turnover of the day.

I'm all in for force feeding the rookie qb. Now is the time to do it, not during the season.

Blitzes, pressure, throw it all at him. Show him game speed now. Preseason game three.

Probably would help the O line too.

Tyrod will be ready in time for the first game.

Driskell idonno: . Wouldn't surprise me if our third QB isn't even on the roster yet.

:coffee:

Texian

Hall of Fame

Well he was advertised as being somewhat accurate.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
5 ints and tyrod already taking personal day............ damn

Jesus take the freaking wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 8880
I am only concerned about Tyrod’s personal day if he went to go get a massage with Watson.

It’s not like we are running an overly complicated offense like OB’s that takes several QBs to find the one that can learn how to run up the middle for little or no gain, run up the middle again for little to no gain, pass for an incompletion, and then punt.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
It’s not like we are running an overly complicated offense like OB’s that takes several QBs to find the one that can learn how to run up the middle for little or no gain, run up the middle again for little to no gain, pass for an incompletion, and then punt.
So you're saying there are offenses different from that?

mussop

Hall of Fame
That’s emotion talking not logic. This at the end of the day is a business. You don’t sit your best player.
He’s trash. His attitude sucks. His leadership is destroyed. He’s a quitter. He’s a disgrace as the face of the franchise. logic says let him sit on IR so he doesn’t taint the team with his BS. He doesn’t want to be here and he definitely doesn’t deserve to be here. He will be desired just as much next year by teams thinking they can win with him as he is now. Sell him to the highest bidder as soon as lawsuits are settled and move on. He shouldn’t even be here now. This at the end of the day is a business.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Are the players in pads?
Nobody responded so I’m going to assume no pads. This is important for offensive lineman to be able to grab and hold something. Defense always has advantages early on but that only makes things worse to have a clean pocket. Mills has the arm Taylor doesn’t. I’m not worried. Driscoll is just camp arm that will be cut. Caserio needs to look around the other camps for QB roster cuts or forge an upgrade with a midrange trade (nothing involving draft picks, just players he had excess of).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nobody responded so I’m going to assume no pads. This is important for offensive lineman to be able to grab and hold something. Defense always has advantages early on but that only makes things worse to have a clean pocket. Mills has the arm Taylor doesn’t. I’m not worried. Driscoll is just camp arm that will be cut. Caserio needs to look around the other camps for QB roster cuts or forge an upgrade with a midrange trade (nothing involving draft picks, just players he had excess of).
They have one more session without pads. They'll be in pads Wednesday I believe.

Still, does it matter? It's practice. QBs are wearing red jerseys. Every practice I've seen, DL takes maybe three steps, then reset. I mean I don't think there's a real pass rush.

& it's not like we're hearing any other rookie QB has thrown 5 ints in red zone drills. I'm not saying it means anything. Just that it happened & it's odd enough to garner attention.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
They have one more session without pads. They'll be in pads Wednesday I believe.

Still, does it matter? It's practice. QBs are wearing red jerseys. Every practice I've seen, DL takes maybe three steps, then reset. I mean I don't think there's a real pass rush.

& it's not like we're hearing any other rookie QB has thrown 5 ints in red zone drills. I'm not saying it means anything. Just that it happened & it's odd enough to garner attention.
Herbert had a pair of sacks and INT’s himself in 11 on 11’s. The 70 yard bomb for a TD is nullified and defense is awarded the sack if it were to play out in real time. OL is new, but very difficult for them to defend and block without pads so contrary to your opinion it does matter, quite a bit to them.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think I read someplace that this coming Tuesday is the rirst day with pads.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
This is the thing about practice, if you don’t put much stock into reports of player x looking faster and turning heads, which I don’t, then you shouldn’t put much into a 5 INT day for a 3rd round rookie QB in his 4th day of camp.

Practice means it’s Texans vs Texans. If you’re a bad team, how do you really know how you’re doing? One reason I’d like to see these preseason games scrapped and just have 2-3 days of scrimmages per week with other teams. IMO, that would give you a much better gauge of where you’re at and what you need to work on.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hi friends, old and new.

This is the time of year that I try to help fans figure out what is going on with the Texans in training camp as I am figuring it out. I don't hang out here as much any more because busy and avoiding injury from sitting too much, but I think of y'all often, and because of the support of this forum, I ended up doing the media thing as one of my hats. If everyone in the fanbase contributes in the ways they can, it makes stuff better, she says as someone who enjoys other peoples' BBQ and beverages.

Preliminary thoughts:

* I started writing back when the number of media members was few. I got frustrated that it was hard to figure out what was happening at camp. Now there is in-house media, traditional media, more participation from radio/tv, new media. More is better, even if you may not like their tone. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses as an analyst, and if you can get past tone issues, and filter info, you can figure some things out.

Like sometimes people think I am too harsh or soft, or mean or nice, and I think that comes from people's preferences. Like sometimes people like truths in a brutal way, though people who enjoy the brutal truth, sometimes like the brutality more than the truth. I try to be fair though some people read that as being soft. Whatev. Take what works for you and leave the rest.

* It is VERY hard to communicate what you are seeing at camp to people who are not there. Sometimes people take something innocuous what you say, and make it into something bigger or smaller, or magnify good or bad days.

* The best days at camp are the ones with no real news tbh. It is easier to spot trends over days than it is to do it day to day.

* Though body language in sports IS important, particularly for leadership positions, I think over-reading body language, particularly in training camp, is a bit much and can be unfair.

* It is the weirdest time in franchise history, I say as someone who was a moderator here during the infamous surprise choice of Mario Williams that maxed out users and led to many violations of forum policies. It may be the weirdest situation in modern NFL history. Like money disputes are normal. The unresolved issues from last year into this year, the surprises at GM and HC and retaining VP of Ops, have created a weird transition. The very serious and unresolved lawsuits and police investigations of a QB who does not want to be here and wants a trade is also weird and unsettling. Also, COVID makes stuff weird, and it makes covering training camp a little weird.

* As a general rule, the more emotional the topic, the more I try to use very precise, descriptive language, and take care to express the difference between what I know and what I think. Ultimately, I don't get into optimism or pessimism, and my current orientation toward the team is that I want all Houston sports teams to be healthy, and right now, everyone would likely agree that the current stance of things does not feel that way. Lots of mutual distrust, fear, anger. It is much easier to analyze football than feelzball.

* How does COVID make covering camp more difficult? There are limited close contact media badges so some media members cannot ask questions. Where the media area is laid out is not ideal for hearing questions or answers. The area where we can stand is more limited in the past. So if there is work done on a far away field, good luck seeing what is going on.

* Some things you can't answer due to media rules that are intended to allow us to share stuff but not so much that it benefits opponents.

Camp thoughts generally:

Here are some observations-

* Watson being there is both weird and not weird.

Early in camp he does drills that if you didn't know something weird was happening, you wouldn't know. Then later, in team period, he participates in different ways. Sometimes feeds balls to Mills. Sometimes stands behind the offense looking at the field during team. Sometimes to the side. Sometimes talks to QBs/coaches/teammates. Sometimes stands by himself. Like there is a bunch of things happening over many fields.

Analysis: People are reading different things into this. My personal thought given the universe of things I know and think I know. I believe that the Texans and Watson both want a trade. Issue is proper value. Proper value is extremely difficult because of the serious nature of the lawsuits/police investigations/NFL uncertainty of punishment/blowback and his abilities and the difficulties of obtaining QB. I wrote about the Watson issues and trade in depth in March. (Not a topic I have any interest in discussing in terms of fair value because among strangers, discussing that is emotionally unpleasant and tends to trivialize real issues even if that is not the intent. That's why I made it a standalone blog post).

I think there are talks. It only takes one team to decide it is worth various knowable and unknowable risks. Personally, I do not think you can properly vet Watson's issues as an outside team because police do not share their investigations with outsiders, they do share some info with his lawyer, but they are not obligated to share fully or at all, particularly this early.

Him being at camp and at least observing things creates at least the theoretical possibility that he stays. Which doesn't depress the value of the trade. He's under contract. For various reasons I explained in March, I do not think the exempt list is imminent though Roger Goodell is not afraid of inviting legal conflict with the NFLPA. Peter King has floated the idea of him staying sorta "for the children" until Watson's cases are better resolved and he has better trade value. I don't know that the Texans would want that actually, even if it is pretty clear, by just football terms, he is the best player on the team.

* Offense

General not impressed face gif at this point.

As for the rest of the QBs, yes, I know it is early, but oof, it just feels fully like another QB carousel year. With the added component of not feeling like an offensive scheme that looks like a coherent whole. Maybe there is, but I don't see it, and it hasn't really been articulated fully. Culley has mentioned running. Kelly has mentioned an exciting offense. Just overall, and not surprising given all the changes, the offense looks really far behind where offenses usually are at this time before the first preseason game. (Caveat. I did not attend last year's COVID camp. Ramp ups are supposed to be slower but just as an observation, it seems like WHAT how many days before a pre season game?)

Taylor. Lots of batted down balls, throws in the short middle. Some moving pocket stuff looks better.

Mills. It is really hard for rookies who are not in a QB friendly, proven scheme to really shine. It is hard to learn in front of the world. Watson didn't really impress from the get go but part of that was some of his best gifts are not within scheme, and well, not impressed with OB's scheme. I don't need to tell folks here about how difficult it is for rookies to jump into weird situations and shine. He looks the part, but not sure what he is working on specifically as far as results are going. Nothing oh wow to me yet but even if it wasn't a weird year, rolling the dice on QBs especially when you have respected NFL QB coach on staff has some value.

Very overly early guess:

They are going to try to do the no real QB thing: Focus on defense and being good at running the ball, pick your spots with QB play, including some tricky things, focus on special teams and just general try hard teamwork. That can steal games against superior talent/scheme teams, and if your defense is good enough, and your QB can rise to the occasion, you can succeed that way but it isn't easy.

Sort of a Baltimore/Brady's first year intention which would be their best case given current stance of team. Worst case would be many years of Texans futility.

Basically playing to strengths: I think the offensive line/running backs look like they might be able to do some things barring injury as sort of a contrarian to the modern NFL thing, playing to strengths.

From a fantasy football perspective, waiting for pads, seeing which RBs stay healthy in this heat. (Minor note. In the past with the heat we have right now, the team has sometimes started camp earlier in the morning. Like you'd have to check your email before camp to see if they moved up the time. 9:00/9:15 start.)

* Defense/Special Teams

The teaching on the defense looks more normal to my eye. Can't really tell much about them without pads. Lots of work on special teams, and I think they need that to maybe steal from teams with better schemes/carry over chemistry. At a minimum, it seems as though players are more excited about see ball, get ball, and using their athleticism more instead of reacting so much. Figuring out fits of players may be different but at least it won't be trying to run a defense where you do not have the grown men roster to run it.

* Overall Too Early Impression

I was underwhelmed by OB's coordinator/position coach staff. So just having NFL people who know the game a bit and have had some level of success may be of benefit. That said, it reminds a bit of the early Capers years: Can various NFL coaches who have shiny resumes and some old heads put a coherent whole together that works for the roster they have, whatever that ends up being?

I know competition is said a lot, and I wonder how real players can be when they have little security on the team, and it gets over said. But yeah, I didn't like the level of competition and hunger on OB's squads ever, and particularly in recent years.

Anyway, this is very general, and not very specific. For the individual players, at this point it is more like, do they look the part, do they perform like they belong on a NFL field? That seems kind of basic, but that has not always been the case. It is very rare that you see a player that flashes immediately, and that is usually a position where you can do that in early camp. I am not a hype person.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions or want more context behind a report you've heard, please ask here. I will answer what I can. Some things you can't answer obviously. I will check in and out while I am trying to stay out of this heat. If you are reading this far later then when I am checking in, you can @ me on Twitter too - @StephStradley
Hey T_C great to see you back on the Board, and appreciate your thoughts on TC.
Since you are a lawyer I'm very interested in any observations you may have re a resolution to the Watson situation,
or is it just pointless for even a legal professional like yourself to speculate on that subject ?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OL is new, but very difficult for them to defend and block without pads so contrary to your opinion it does matter, quite a bit to them.
Oh, I agree with you. If he's throwing 5 ints wearing a red jersey in front of a pseudo pass rush, it's pointless to go further with this kid.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Hey T_C great to see you back on the Board, and appreciate your thoughts on TC.
Since you are a lawyer I'm very interested in any observations you may have re a resolution to the Watson situation,
or is it just pointless for even a legal professional like yourself to speculate on that subject ?
Check out her Twitter. She had posted on the subject several months ago.

He's a rookie. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, Johnny Unitas's first pass as a pro was a pick six.
He got better.
Peyton Manning struggled his rookie season. I wonder how he did in his first training camp.

Davis is just not ready to be thrown to the wolves yet!

If Davis continues to struggle as bad as his last go round with the first teamers we may a have problem. I don't read much into this last practice. It is too soon to be overly concerned.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Do Texans have legit podcast that recaps action after each practice day?

Following the Chargers, “Quilty As Charged” podcast, each lasting around one hour, really helps you get a sense or feel how players are transitioning to expectations assigned. This is just some breakdown takeaways from day four of practices. Would be nice if Texans or legit media outlet did the same.

- offense struggling vs defense (pads go on Monday though)
- Derwin is running the show
- JH10 great but still learning scheme and how to layer throws
- Kyzir getting starting ILB reps over Tranquill
- Asante working primarily in NCB role
- size difference between Asante and Facyson very noticeable
- CORE STAs = Tranquill, Nabors, Christiansen, Reed, Amen, (Ryan hasn’t been practicing yet)
- T. Johnson and Palmer making plays
- Guyton getting 1st team reps but not productive, lots of drops
- MikeDub’s catch rate sucks, looks lazy
- Reed not getting any return opportunities, drop in 4th practice, and they see no real sense of his value
- JJacks is looking explosive as RB2
- Rountree looks solid in his reps
- Fackrell getting equal/greater reps vs Uchenna
- Rumph is skinny but a playmaker, needs to add muscle mass
- Chase firmly QB2 at this point

Mangler

Toro de España
I am only concerned about Tyrod’s personal day if he went to go get a massage with Watson.

Laremy Tunsil said they’re running the exact same offense. Somewhere along the lines of “Same OC, same offense.”

It's new to the head coach and the rookie QB.

Please, please let's not turn this into another Peyton Manning rookie season thread. Please.
Not intending to turn this into a Peyton Manning thread. I could list any number of Qb's who struggled to start their NFL careers who turned out good to great. Peyton was just the one example I came up with off hand. The point being made is that there is no need for a knee jerk reaction to Davis Mills early struggles. I am not pointing out any particular post or poster. I am just disussing the matter in general.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Not intending to turn this into a Peyton Manning thread. I could list any nuber of Qb's who struggled to start their NFL careers who turned out good to great. Peyton was just the one example I came up with off hand. The point being made is that there is no need for a knee jerk reaction to Davis Mills early struggles. I am not pointing any particular post or poster. I am just disussing the matter in general.
Especially after one bad practice.