Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Minicamp, OTA’s and Preseason

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't get the tone of the disagreement in regards to Davis Mills. I did not realize a kid who has yet to play one down in the NFL could be so polarizing. It seems to be more personal than it should be simply judging if he has any real potential or feeling he lacks it. So much seems to be known by so many with a kid that has not had a lot of experience or started very many games in college.

I know very little about the kid based on his body of work up to this point. What I do know is some people are saying the kid has some real potential. He may be lousy but nobody can swear to that and if they do they are wrong. If he ends up being avg or less than that, so be it.

However, I don't get the firey exchanges on this forum over him. You would think people know him personally and like or hate him based on that. Disagree if you will but whether he will be good or bad, none of us knows either way. Most QB's drafted are not anything special. Many highly touted Qb's coming out of college do not live up to their billing. Davis Mills is in the mix whether we want him to be or not. All I can say is give the kid a chance. If you don't like this kid for whatever reason that is fine but it just seems that the disagreements in regards to him seem to be getting too personal and it should not get to that point.
This is fallout from

1. Some fans of the Pervert that are still holding out hope that the Pervert will remain the QB of the Texans (Good luck with that.) and hold it against Mills.

2. Some people hate all things Foxboro so badly they hope/expect Mills to fail, although they probably haven't watched him play 1 down of football in a live game.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm not talking about media heads.

Oh yes, where he's drafted does bear meaning.

There's no rag to rich stories in modern day NFL QBacking.
Sorry.....but doesn’t the Tom Brady story eclipse even Rudy as a rags to riches story? “QB/Camp Arm” drafted in RD6(#199) becomes the NFL’s GOAT at the position of QB.....or is this reference being made after the 2000 season?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't sell Mac Jones long, either. He played behind the best o-line in the country, throwing to the best WRs, with the best RB in the backfield. Has any QB had such an advantageous season? Maybe the the guy at Bama prior, Tua? How's that looking so far?
Playing after overcoming a broken hip in a short amount of time could have alot to do with this. BTW, I wasn't as high on Tua as most before he broke his hip. I questioned his arm strength. The broken hip certainly didn't help with this issue.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Belichik has been successful with one QB. Brady.

Log list of failures at developing QB's.

:coffee:
To be fair, Brady’s durability did not really allow many opportunities for other QBs to show how well they played on the Patriots.

When Brady tore his acl week 1 of 2008 season he was replaced by Matt Cassel. Who did well enough to win 10 games and get traded (along with Vrabel to Chiefs for a high 2nd round pick. He had a pro bowl year in 2010 but aside from that nothing good (thanks in large part to injury issues).

When Brady was suspended 4 games in 2016 Jimmy G started first 2 games before getting injured, but showed enough to get traded to 49ers for a 2nd round pick. And in his only healthy season with SF was the starting QB for a team that went to the Super Bowl for what it’s worth...

And the other 2 games started during Brady’s 2016 suspension was Jacoby Brissett, who was the starting QB for one of many Texans embarrassing defeats in prime time.

He was traded for 1st round bust Phillip Dorsett and started 2019 season for Colts after Luck’s surprising retirement. He’s not a starting QB but is widely regarded as one of the more dependable backup QB options in the league. Now Tua’s backup in Miami.

Just because OB got sold on Patriot backups Hoyer and Mallet doesn’t mean Bellichek doesn’t know how to develop QBs and that only Brady would have success being coached by him.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
And Caserio has been there the whole time.
Too bad Caserio wasn't in Cleveland to save his ass.

Belichick's ego couldn't align with Kosar. Then along came a string of QB failures on Belichick.

Was more or less a blueprint for OBrien's failures in Houston. Try, try again. Fail, fail, fail

Belichick is way overrated. He took a franchise that had been a consistent winner and turned them into irrelevancy.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Pretty good stuff on 610 today. What I found most interesting was the argument for moving Tytus Howard to LG.

The basic argument is that Tytus has the talent to play LT and when or if the Texans move on from Tunsil at that position, the Texans will first try Tytus there. Moving from LG to LT is an easy move requiring little or no adjustment; whereas moving from RT to LT could require a major adjustment period.

Another argument is that Marcus Cannon's best position, and the one he has mostly excelled at, is RT. Yes, he can and has played some at RG, but not to the level of play as his play at tackle.

The other argument is that Max Scharping didn't play well last year at LG, so there is no reason to pencil him into starting at the position this season; and if he did not excel last season, then moving him to the right side should be less of an adjustment experience. If Howard eventually moves into the LT position, then Scharping could move into the RT position and the same argument on the move regarding Howard would apply to Scharping and a move to RT from RG.

The talk on RT has mostly revolved around Howard continuing to play the position with a secondary line of thought about his kicking inside to RG. I found this argument about Howard moving to the left side to be intriguing.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Sorry.....but doesn’t the Tom Brady story eclipse even Rudy as a rags to riches story? “QB/Camp Arm” drafted in RD6(#199) becomes the NFL’s GOAT at the position of QB.....or is this reference being made after the 2000 season?

Also, look at his schedule in college:

And some of those unranked teams were unranked only because they were in the Big Ten.

I imagine scouting back then isn't what it is today, with a whole lot more resources.

The point is that guy had balled since he was in college.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This is fallout from

1. Some fans of the Pervert that are still holding out hope that the Pervert will remain the QB of the Texans (Good luck with that.) and hold it against Mills.

2. Some people hate all things Foxboro so badly they hope/expect Mills to fail, although they probably haven't watched him play 1 down of football in a live game.
Doesn't apply here.

I've already said long ago that the Texans should trade Watson and move on.

I've always praise/defend Belichik even for the time when he was in Cleveland.

I think the point is exactly the opposite. You always strongly dislike Watson so you find satisfaction in trying to tie people in the loop for your enjoyment, seeing people suffer.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I would also say guys like Wilson/Dak/Cousins etc... are somewhat rags to riches stories.
Wilson was already discussed.

Cousins is a turnover machine.
Can't you see what happen to the Vikings ever since he got there?

Prescott (whom I had said before that I didn't look at during the draft in a year when I wasn't much interested in the draft) had a helluva career in the SEC; I have no idea why teams missed on him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Is this the thread of where I find out about the Texans mini camp or am I in the wrong place?
Title of a thread has little to do with conversation after 5 or 6 posts. All usually revert to comparisons to coaches or players or owners of the distant past or other teams. All devolve into personal attacks usually between a very few Hatfields and McCoys about a pig.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Belichik has been successful with one QB. Brady.

Log list of failures at developing QB's.

I would say he was successful as you possibly could be with Testaverde.

Also you post is easy to say when a HC/QB have been together for 20 yrs.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I would say he was successful as you possibly could be with Testaverde.

Also you post is easy to say when a HC/QB have been together for 20 yrs.
And that makes him a goat coach. You sort of make my point. He was only great with Brady.

Testaverde w/ Belichick 3 yrs. 47 TD 37 Int. 16 W / 15 L

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Title of a thread has little to do with conversation after 5 or 6 posts. All usually revert to comparisons to coaches or players or owners of the distant past or other teams. All devolve into personal attacks usually between a very few Hatfields and McCoys about a pig.
Well, I would agree that there certainly seems to be a lot of Hatfields, McCoys, and pigs posting here. :lol:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Hatfield and McCoys comparison is too good for this thread.

This is more of a teenage bickering slap fight.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Just heard on 610 that QB's today, as part of their training, are using virtual reality. This is something I have never personally experienced, but can imagine how effective this would be in learning to read defenses.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Just heard on 610 that QB's today, as part of their training, are using virtual reality. This is something I have never personally experienced, but can imagine how effective this would be in learning to read defenses.
This?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pretty good stuff on 610 today. What I found most interesting was the argument for moving Tytus Howard to LG.

The basic argument is that Tytus has the talent to play LT and when or if the Texans move on from Tunsil at that position, the Texans will first try Tytus there. Moving from LG to LT is an easy move requiring little or no adjustment; whereas moving from RT to LT could require a major adjustment period.

Another argument is that Marcus Cannon's best position, and the one he has mostly excelled at, is RT. Yes, he can and has played some at RG, but not to the level of play as his play at tackle.

The other argument is that Max Scharping didn't play well last year at LG, so there is no reason to pencil him into starting at the position this season; and if he did not excel last season, then moving him to the right side should be less of an adjustment experience. If Howard eventually moves into the LT position, then Scharping could move into the RT position and the same argument on the move regarding Howard would apply to Scharping and a move to RT from RG.

The talk on RT has mostly revolved around Howard continuing to play the position with a secondary line of thought about his kicking inside to RG. I found this argument about Howard moving to the left side to be intriguing.
Last yr Howard didn't have the feet to play RT. (Hopefully due to injury) I would hate to see him at LT.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Belichick coached in Baltimore?

I don’t think so.

He was HC of the Browns that moved to Baltimore. The Browns had a history of winning, went to Baltimore & kept winning. So... you can’t be talking about them.

He then went to New England & before him they never won anything. After, they’ve won more Championship than any franchise in that time period. So... you can’t be talking about them.

I admit I forget what I did two days ago so trying to remember what some old curmudgeon in Boston did twenty years ago is challenging.

But I’ve used all my googleskillz & still came up withnothing.

Which storied franchise did Belichick ruin?

Number19

Hall of Fame
Last yr Howard didn't have the feet to play RT. (Hopefully due to injury) I would hate to see him at LT.
This commentary on Tytus Howard was by Wade Smith, this morning on 610. As a Texans LG who played next to Duane Brown, I paid attention to what he said. He disagrees with you. He, maybe playfully, said he thought the combination of Tunsil and Howard would be as good a left side as he and Brown had been. He also thought Howard could then move into the LT position when, or if, Tunsil moved on.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This commentary on Tytus Howard was by Wade Smith, this morning on 610. As a Texans LG who played next to Duane Brown, I paid attention to what he said. He disagrees with you. He, maybe playfully, said he thought the combination of Tunsil and Howard would be as good a left side as he and Brown had been. He also thought Howard could then move into the LT position when, or if, Tunsil moved on.
His feet will have to be faster than they were last yr.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

The basic argument is that Tytus has the talent to play LT and when or if the Texans move on from Tunsil at that position, the Texans will first try Tytus there.
I agree with the moving Howard to LG part. Don't see Howard at LT. He's just not LT material. I hope that's not really Caserio's plan.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I call 'em like I see 'em. The Dolphins were 6-3 in spite of Tua. Not because of Tua. Justin Herbert was 6-9 as a rookie starter. Do you think Tua was anywhere close to the level of Herbert?

And I will say this again, you can’t expect ever darn rookie quarterback to come out the gates slinging it. It takes some of them a few years. Herbert is a special case. Even the great Manning didn’t come out the gates lightening up the league. He was a turnover machine.

Another key note: Herbert didn’t just come off a major hip surgery either.

Dejaview

All Pro
Campen seems to have Cannon slotted for RT and the rest of the players will need to compete at OG/swing OT. Per his press conference yesterday.

So seems like the starting OG spots are between Scharping/Howard/Taylor/Mccray.
I watched the new Campen presser. I don’t know, he seemed to be steering away from Sharping, but I guess to be fair he didn’t dwell much on the others either and as you stated he seemed to have Cannon slotted for RT and I thought Tunsil at LT.