Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Minicamp, OTA’s and Preseason

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I watched the new Campen presser. I don’t know, he seemed to be steering away from Sharping, but I guess to be fair he didn’t dwell much on the others either and as you stated he seemed to have Cannon slotted for RT and I thought Tunsil at LT.
Correct. He only really seemed to have Tunsil, Britt and Cannon set in stone as starters. Both guard positions are up for grabs. And of course the swing OT.

Also briefly mentioned the A&M UDFAs. That would be really nice if one of them surprises!

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Correct. He only really seemed to have Tunsil, Britt and Cannon set in stone as starters. Both guard positions are up for grabs. And of course the swing OT.

Also briefly mentioned the A&M UDFAs. That would be really nice if one of them surprises!
So there was no talk of Tytus Howard being the guy at RT or even starting on the inside ? That's disappointing.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
So there was no talk of Tytus Howard being the guy at RT or even starting on the inside ? That's disappointing.
He had nice things to say about Howard. But Mcclain asked him what he thought about Howard/Cannon competing and he said the competition is more widespread. Cannon has been playing RT for awhile in this league and he doesn’t anticipate him moving but other people (meaning Howard) can move around.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I agree with the moving Howard to LG part. Don't see Howard at LT. He's just not LT material. I hope that's not really Caserio's plan.
This was Wade Smith's opinion. As an NFL OG who played for 12 years, four of those with the Texans next to Duane Brown, I think he knows a thing or two what it takes to play the game. If he thinks Howard can play LT, I wouldn't dismiss the idea.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
This was Wade Smith's opinion.
Right, and I've given my opinion. I dismiss the idea based on what I've seen from Howard, thus far. Playing next to Tunsil won't make Howard a better LT. That makes zero sense.

Sorry, Wade. I've met him at the stadium when he was doing autographs and photos. Great guy.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Why do y’all do that? Why?

Tua has only played 9 games in his rookie year with a record of 6-3.

It is very common for a rookie quarterback to struggle in his first season. Gotta give these quarterbacks more than a year to adapt to the NFL.
The smart NFL used to draft QB’s and spend some time developing them.....not any more. Teams draft QB’s in RD1 and due to the money invested, they’re expected to produce from the moment they walk through the door. It works in some cases but overall, this approach isn’t good and hasn’t produced better QB’s.

For the Texans, Mills was a RD3 QB with a very nice ceiling. The problem, C-19 wrecked a full season of development for a lot of these young QB’s and they opted for the draft versus going back to CFB for another season of uncertainty.....hello Mills. Mills has no business going under center this season in a regular season game as long as Taylor is here to run the show. I’d like to see Mills get his shot next season while using this one to acclimate to the NFL game.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
He had nice things to say about Howard. But Mcclain asked him what he thought about Howard/Cannon competing and he said the competition is more widespread. Cannon has been playing RT for awhile in this league and he doesn’t anticipate him moving but other people (meaning Howard) can move around.

Love the whole approach!!! You want your job......you better be improving each and every day as the competition will determine who trots out there in game one as the starting five. The backups will be a marked improvement over last season.

Number19

Hall of Fame
The smart NFL use to draft QB’s and spend some time developing them.....not any more. Teams draft QB’s in RD1 and due to the money invested, they’re expected to produce from the moment they walk through the door. It works in some cases but overall, this approach isn’t good and hasn’t produced better QB’s.

For the Texans, Mills was a RD3 QB with a very nice ceiling. The problem, C-19 wrecked a full season of development for a lot of these young QB’s and they opted for the draft versus going back to CFB for another season of uncertainty.....hello Mills. Mills has no business going under center this season in a regular season game as long as Taylor is here to run the show. I’d like to see Mills get his shot next season while using this one to acclimate to the NFL game.
Ideally this is what should happen. But , defensively, the Texans likely need playmakers at LB, DE and DT/NT, in next years draft.

Assuming that the Watson fiasco is decided and we have multiple picks, these needs could be addressed in the first two rounds. But not if we need to use draft capital to go after the QB we target.

The Texans are backed into a corner and need to settle the QB question THIS YEAR.

If the Texans are winning and in the hunt, then Tyrod will continue to start if healthy. But if, as expected, the Texans are losing, then after the bye week, Mills needs to start the remainder of the season, if he is ready.

If he's not ready, that answers the question.

But if the coaching staff feels he is ready to start, then the Texans need to see how he performs under game conditions and under pressure.

If the Texans are losing with Taylor under center, it won't matter if we lose with Mills under center.

But it allows the organization to decide on how they are going to approach next year's draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Ideally this is what should happen. But , defensively, the Texans likely need playmakers at LB, DE and DT/NT, in next years draft.

Assuming that the Watson fiasco is decided and we have multiple picks, these needs could be addressed in the first two rounds. But not if we need to use draft capital to go after the QB we target.

The Texans are backed into a corner and need to settle the QB question THIS YEAR.

If the Texans are winning and in the hunt, then Tyrod will continue to start if healthy. But if, as expected, the Texans are losing, then after the bye week, Mills needs to start the remainder of the season, if he is ready.

If he's not ready, that answers the question.

But if the coaching staff feels he is ready to start, then the Texans need to see how he performs under game conditions and under pressure.

If the Texans are losing with Taylor under center, it won't matter if we lose with Mills under center.

But it allows the organization to decide on how they are going to approach next year's draft.
Agree but if Pep is the QB expert and Mills is not what I hope, I would be good with using one of the later round ones from Philly for a QB like Corral.

Watson to Detroit and 1.1 to Eagles. I am just greedy that way.

Dejaview

All Pro

I forgot about Britt. Camp just smiled and shook his head when he talked about him. Maybe he will be our new Carl Mauk. I’ve been looking over the roster. We’ve got a lot of real Texans on the Texans. Got some colorful coaches too. This is the closest thing I’ve seen to the old Oilers. I’m enjoying this.

Number19

Hall of Fame
610 right now. Mills is clearly the superior talent over Taylor and the Texans clearly have a higher ceiling with Mills under center. But Taylor at this time is clearly the starter because his control/experience over the team/offense. Mills although the superior talent, is not ready to start. The Texans focus should be to get him ready.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They need to have next year’s draft & the 2023 draft figured out more or less already. If they’re waiting to see how Davis develops then they’re already behind the 8 ball.

I’m not the Texans GM, but if I were, my plan is not to take a QB in 2022 at all. Right now I’m looking for Alex Smith type QB. A Matt Schaub. A little better than Fitzpatrick. But if I get a Fitzpatrick I’m ok with that.

I want a Tyreek Hill, a Joey Bosa, a Gronkowski, & both trenches stacked with playmakers before I draft another QB in the first round.

I’m not going to start the 5 year clock without knowing if I even have a championship coaching staff.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
610 right now. Miller is clearly the superior talent over Taylor and the Texans clearly have a higher ceiling with Miller under center. But Taylor at this time is clearly the starter because his control/experience over the team/offense. Miller, although the superior talent, is not ready to start. The Texans focus should be to get him ready.
Mills?

Everyone looks better in shorts and t-shirts, Taylor has proven to be adequate in-game in the NFL.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Lot of talk today about the Texans canceling the mandatory minicamp. Seems their argument is they'd rather have the veterans attend 3 days of mandatory training rather than have them attend 4 weeks of voluntary training.

About 4 weeks ago Texans met with "team leaders" and came to an agreement that there would be close to 100% voluntary attendance in exchange for cancelation of the mandatory minicamp.

Culley said they accomplished what they wanted to accomplish.

Dejaview

All Pro
Lot of talk today about the Texans canceling the mandatory minicamp. Seems their argument is they'd rather have the veterans attend 3 days of mandatory training rather than have them attend 4 weeks of voluntary training.

About 4 weeks ago Texans met with "team leaders" and came to an agreement that there would be close to 100% voluntary attendance in exchange for cancelation of the mandatory minicamp.

Maybe. Texans aren’t the only NFL teams canceling MMc. I read that prevented them from having to fine DW. My guess is to give him no leverage in his trade demands. Treat him right and let his OWN mistakes take him down. Make a crystal clear image in his case between the Texans actions and his.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I heard this conversation on the radio. It's a head scratcher for a 4-12 team with a new coaching staff and 50+% roster turnover.

What teams are holding mandatory mini-camps? The Bucs, Chiefs, Packers, i.e. the good teams.

Texansballer74

The Marine

I was looking forward to hearing about how certain players were doing. Especially since this is basically a new team all around. Dang

I’m guessing it has something to do with this D4 drama.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I heard this conversation on the radio. It's a head scratcher for a 4-12 team with a new coaching staff and 50+% roster turnover.

What teams are holding mandatory mini-camps? The Bucs, Chiefs, Packers, i.e. the good teams.

It seems as if they don’t want to deal with the drama with Watson head on. I’m pretty sure he was going to show up so he wouldn’t be hit win fines. They also knows if he shows up and the Commmish drops the hammer. They will still have to pay the clown.

Dejaview

All Pro
I was looking forward to hearing about how certain players were doing. Especially since this is basically a new team all around. Dang

I’m guessing it has something to do with this D4 drama.
all those good pressers you posted however showed me you aren’t going to get info from the coaches yet. They seemed to completely avoid talking about individual players except in general terms no doubt to continue to promote competition.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It seems as if they don’t want to deal with the drama with Watson head on. I’m pretty sure he was going to show up so he wouldn’t be hit win fines. They also knows if he shows up and the Commmish drops the hammer. They will still have to pay the clown.
It's a good point and could certainly be a factor.

Do they plan on cancelling training camp, too? ;)

Just seems like kicking the can down the road / cutting off your nose to spite your face sort of thing.

Number19

Hall of Fame
In all this minicamp talk on 610 no one is explaining why they think three days of training is more important/helpful than four weeks of training.

They are not even saying or implying that the vets would attend the voluntary camp regardless. They are just ignoring the reality that the voluntary turnout was close to 100%.

JRingo

Rookie

Bubba Stoerner not happy about this..

Number19

Hall of Fame

Why is it a head scratcher. The Texans wanted all the vets there for the maximum number of days. They got close to 100% participation for four weeks.

They simply thought this was preferable to 100% participation for three days.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Why is it a head scratcher. The Texans wanted all the vets there for the maximum number of days. They got close to 100% participation for four weeks.

They simply thought this was preferable to 100% participation for three days.
He explained in his post why he thinks it's a head scratcher. For a team with the amount of turnover the Texans have had, I think they could use all the reps they can get.

Another question they were making on 610 is, why are the coaches of a 4-12 locker room even seeking acceptance from the players? Why are they trying to bargain with them? Show up for all team activities or risk losing your spot and getting cut.

Texansballer74

The Marine
He explained in his post why he thinks it's a head scratcher. For a team with the amount of turnover the Texans have had, I think they could use all the reps they can get.

Another question they were making on 610 is, why are the coaches of a 4-12 locker room even seeking acceptance from the players? Why are they trying to bargain with them? Show up for all team activities or risk losing your spot and getting cut.
I can’t come up with anything positive to say on this crap here. Maybe they’re tanking like a lot of folks on here alluded to on every thread.

Number19

Hall of Fame

What you, and others on 610 are ignoring, is that the players union was encouraging vets not to attend OTA's. This is what the Texans were addressing. They wanted to insure attendance. They did this.

So again, how can you get the reps if you don't get the attendance?

And if you threaten players to attend voluntary OTA's or else, I think you'll be on shaky grounds.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
all those good pressers you posted however showed me you aren’t going to get info from the coaches yet. They seemed to completely avoid talking about individual players except in general terms no doubt to continue to promote competition.
I think it's more about promoting the team culture. It's not about the individual, it's about the group.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

That's the way we've done it in the past. Maybe it's time for something new.

Personally I think this is about the Watson situation. & makes the Texans look gutless. I don't need Culley or Caserio to come out & say, "we're scared"

Still, for the talking heads to make so much noise about minicamp when they had such good participation at OTAs... that's bush league.

They should be on the "scared of Watson" angle.

Dejaview

All Pro
That's the way we've done it in the past. Maybe it's time for something new.

Personally I think this is about the Watson situation. & makes the Texans look gutless. I don't need Culley or Caserio to come out & say, "we're scared"

Still, for the talking heads to make so much noise about minicamp when they had such good participation at OTAs... that's bush league.

They should be on the "scared of Watson" angle.
I guess the Packers then are afraid of Rodgers because there is talk they won’t fine him. That’s all the Texans would have to do also. Or we could just simply believe Culley
who stated this was a reward for the vets that came to participate in OTA’s in great numbers. He’s a players coach. He’s got a balancing act to keep morale up in the face of cutthroat competition.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I guess the Packers then are afraid of Rodgers because there is talk they won’t fine him.
Is Aaron Rodgers facing criminal charges?

The Texans don't want to have to suspend him before the league does. Caserio is probably going to play a few rounds with Goodell tomorrow to "negotiate."

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
We can throw all kind of stuff out, but this is one that is not so hard to believe. All across the league, vets were discussing skipping / boycotting voluntary workouts. Culley got close to 100% participation over 4 weeks to install the desired culture and get good work in and gave up a few days for that concession by the vets. Seems logical and probable in todays climate. Everything does not have to be about how bad of org we are or Watson. Also, do you really think a few more days of practice has us heading to the super bowl? We will be below average to crappy, so why should we make a big deal of it. Sometimes it is actually what they said in a presser

banned1976

sleeper mode
We can throw all kind of stuff out, but this is one that is not so hard to believe. All across the league, vets were discussing skipping / boycotting voluntary workouts. Culley got close to 100% participation over 4 weeks to install the desired culture and get good work in and gave up a few days for that concession by the vets. Seems logical and probable in todays climate. Everything does not have to be about how bad of org we are or Watson. Also, do you really think a few more days of practice has us heading to the super bowl? We will be below average to crappy, so why should we make a big deal of it. Sometimes it is actually what they said in a presser
Since when does merely questioning the organization constitute making a "big deal" out of the subject? This "story" was brand new yesterday and it died down as quickly as it started.

Dejaview

All Pro
Is Aaron Rodgers facing criminal charges?

The Texans don't want to have to suspend him before the league does. Caserio is probably going to play a few rounds with Goodell tomorrow to "negotiate."
I assume ( hope) you are saying that is a good thing? Kudos to NC if this is his game. Force the NFL to make a damn decision for once. It’s because their policies are so weak and tentative players like DW, facing criminal allegations, is still trying to force a trade to his dream team as if his problem will simply go away. LaLa Land material. No reality checks here. Systemic entropy. in The face of great OT turnout and workouts would you want that guy to come on the scene and mess up this locker room. They aren’t afraid of him. They are sick of him and the entire situation that the NFL has created.

Last edited:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I don’t think so.

"He was HC of the Browns that moved to Baltimore. The Browns had a history of winning, went to Baltimore & kept winning. So... you can’t be talking about them."

The Browns did have a history of winning. 41W 22 L 1986 - 1989
Owner pulled a Bud Adams and fired his coach after going 3 W 13 L in 1990
Hired Belichik who promptly served up a 36 W 44 L record from 1991 - 1995. One winning season.
The Browns "history" of winning ended when Belichik arrived and resumed after he was fired and the team moved to Baltimore

(clip)

Which storied franchise did Belichick ruin?

The Cleveland Browns.

We need to get back on topic.
:coffee:

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
They already had more than they planned for. 4 weeks of OTAs vs 3 days minicamp.
They’ve been preaching competition from the get go. Hard to compete when there’s no workouts.

I know, I know, what does another 2-3 days of minicamp matter in the big picture? Probably not much. But the SB champions sure seem to think there’s some importance to it. Kansas City sure seems to think there’s some importance to it. Green Bay sure seems to think there’s some importance to it.

And it sure says a lot about the mentality of the team and management. New coaches, new schemes, a ton of new players, players fighting for roster spots, mind you, and they’d rather take the off time than try to take every opportunity to improve their chances of making the team because attendance was good in voluntaries? Yea!! Attendance ribbons for everyone. That’s a hell of a culture change they seem to be shooting for.

Wasn’t JJ complaining about players not working as hard as they should be? Doesn’t sound like much has changed in that regard.

I don’t know what culture change they’re striving for, but I sure wish it was one of working hard and winning.

On top of all of that, with what’s going on with Watson, this smells of them being too chicken shit to get into fining him or not, or just answering questions about him. It’s just a bad look all around.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Interesting article and Tom Brady’s thoughts on preseason work outs:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Dejaview

All Pro
Interesting article and Tom Brady’s thoughts on preseason work outs:

There you have it. Texans possibly had the best turnout for OTA’s in the league. DC rewarded his players for that in face of so many players around the NFL that are skipping them. That is what a lot of one year contracts can do in a year where a new culture of competitiveness had to be installed.