Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans / Lamar Jackson SI article

Who said anything about Colin not showing up in shape after 2 years off? Newsflash, I'm talking about how he reported to camp in 2016, long before the kneeling ever happened.. It's becoming pretty clear you don't know what the hell you're talking about regarding this situation and just echoing what the rest of woke media was at the time (and still do). They are revisionist historians who didn't/aren't reporting what actually happened in San Francisco

I remember vividly how that off-season went down.. went back and found a article about it..

I remember Jay Glazer and NFL Live talking about how poorly he was playing, how much underweight he was, and how it was a real possibility he wouldn't make the team and Blaine freaking Gabbert could beat him out. He was NOT a good starting QB at that point and on his way out of the league before he was "blackballed". Which is complete crap.

There's a difference between outright blackballing someone and deciding that their skills/ability to help your team no longer outweigh the enormous B.S. baggage/drama they carry with them to your franchise. If he still had those skills, guess what.. a team would've signed him and took on ALL of that baggage.

Need to look no further than the pervert who used to play here. League felt like he was a elite top 5 QB, so teams didn't "blackball" a guy accused of over 2 dozen sexual assault allegations. Instead he got the richest contract in NFL history. Why?.. because the league felt like he was still worth the squeeze. Kaepernick was already out of juice.

Lesson: If you're going to be a huge pain in the ass.. you better be worth it and good at your job. This isn't NFL specific, goes for any industry..

People try to act like Colin Kaepernick was some NFL martyr, he wasn't. He was already washing out as a starter in the league.

Lol The whole damn thing got politicized & blown out of proportion b/c certain fools on the right echoing eerily similar statements like the one you're spouting now misinterpreted his whole damn message from the get go...even though he explained it.....all the way up to that orange idiot in the WH.

So clearly, YOU don't know what you're talking about.

& you can interject your politics into this all you like, but the fact remains, he was still better than any qb the Texans have trotted out there since 2017.

Shouldn't be surprised considering your takes on COVID and the vax.... He was CLEARLY blackballed no matter how hard you try to ignore it..

Lol The whole damn thing got politicized & blown out of proportion b/c certain fools on the right echoing eerily similar statements like the one you're spouting now misinterpreted his whole damn message from the get go...even though he explained it.....all the way up to that orange idiot in the WH.

& you can interject your politics into this all you like, but the fact remains, he was still better than any qb the Texans have trotted out there since 2017.

Shouldn't be surprised considering your takes on COVID and the vax.... He was CLEARLY blackballed no matter how hard you try to ignore it..
:tinfoil: Tin hat fits you quite well

So explain your comment about 'letting him get out there on the exclusive tag'.

The only real difference between the 2 franchise tags is the amount they would have to pay him, (NE franchise tag pays less than the exclusive franchise tag) & the ability for them to match in the event he gets a better offer from another team. We know he asked for a trade in early March So imo, if they were so confident that the deal they supposedly put out there for him was what his market value was, why even retain the rights to match? What are you afraid of? Either exclusive franchise tag his ass and don't even allow him to get out there.... or let him go period if you don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth.

Clearly they're thinking there's the possiblity he actaully could get a better offer from elsewhere or they wouldn't have hit him with the NE tag instead of the exclusive franchise tag. & by using the NE tag instead of the Exclusive, they're also gonna catch a little break in what they pay him too. So the whole "good will" they're supposedly appearing to do for him isn't all geniune like they're trying to spin it. They're trying to strong arm him without giving the appearance that they are.

:tinfoil: Tin hat fits you quite well

You & he might have a point, if the NFL hadn't settled Kaep and Reid's collusion lawsuit against the NFL and paid them millions just to keep the lawsuit from going forward....This after the NFL tried to have it thrown out and the judge said that he wouldn't b/c there was enough evidence for it to go forward.....& then negotiated to have the terms of the deal kept secret...with likely some type of order to keep both parties from revealing the evidence they did have.

The only real difference between the 2 franchise tags is the amount they would have to pay him, (NE franchise tag pays less than the exclusive franchise tag) & the ability for them to match in the event he gets a better offer from another team. We know he asked for a trade in early March So imo, if they were so confident that the deal they supposedly put out there for him was what his market value was, why even retain the rights to match? What are you afraid of? Either exclusive franchise tag his ass and don't even allow him to get out there.... or let him go period if you don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth.

Clearly they're thinking there's the possiblity he actaully could get a better offer from elsewhere or they wouldn't have hit him with the NE tag instead of the exclusive franchise tag. & by using the NE tag instead of the Exclusive, they're also gonna catch a little break in what they pay him too. So the whole "good will" they're supposedly appearing to do for him isn't all geniune like they're trying to spin it. They're trying to strong arm him without giving the appearance that they are.
There you go talking around the subject again instead of answering the question put to you. The question was not what the tags were. I asked you to clarify your statement which you are avoiding doing

There you go talking around the subject again instead of answering the question put to you. The question was not what the tags were. I asked you to clarify your statement which you are avoiding doing

i did clarify it. Wasn't what you wanted to hear, but i clarified it. Let him go...If you don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth...& you're sure that the contract you offered him was what his market value is & he won't find anything out there that's better, and he wants to leave, let him go. Let him get out there with no agent & see what he's supposedly NOT worth according to them. what are they so damn afraid of that they want to retain the rights to match by using the NE tag?

Hanging draft compensation around his neck only hinders all that & to me shows that they're not being genuine.

NC was able to get the DW4 deal done b/c both parties dealt straight up with each other..That's not what appears to be happening here with the Ravens FO.

Moving the goal posts again I see..

I'm at work right now, I'll respond to your B.S. post fully tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
i did clarify it. Wasn't what you wanted to hear, but i clarified it. Let him go...If you don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth...& you're sure that the contract you offered him was what his market value is & he won't find anything out there that's better, and he wants to leave, let him go.
Do you not remember what you wrote? You said to put him out there on the exclusive tag

A team willing to sign LJ8 would have to give up the same draft capital no matter which tag they used & 99% of the time, teams use the exclusive vs non exclusive. & They are playing by the rules everyone agreed to & the tags have always favored the team which is just part of the reason players don't like them despite what they get paid for 1 year. The problem for me is the Ravens' credibility in using the NE franchise tag vs the exclusive tag imo. If you're offering him what the market says he should get & you're confident about that, let him get out there on the exclusive franchise tag. Why are you concerned with being able to match any offer he could get if you're so confident that the offer you gave him is the best he could get? To me that speaks to them knowing that he could probably get a better offer out on the market than what they're offering him. But the way it is spinned by them is them giving him the opportunity to go get a better deal..

How do they let him get out there on the exclusive tag?

You & he might have a point, if the NFL hadn't settled Kaep and Reid's collusion lawsuit against the NFL and paid them millions just to keep the lawsuit from going forward....This after the NFL tried to have it thrown out and the judge said that he wouldn't b/c there was enough evidence for it to go forward.....& then negotiated to have the terms of the deal kept secret...with likely some type of order to keep both parties from revealing the evidence they did have.
I don't have a dog in this fight at all but I am curious if in this day & age do you consider making a settlement to make something go away an admission of guilt. In your opinion did Watson admit guilt to every woman he payed off? As far as I know a large percentage of settlements include a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).

I don't have a dog in this fight at all but I am curious if in this day & age do you consider making a settlement to make something go away an admission of guilt. In your opinion did Watson admit guilt to every woman he payed off? As far as I know a large percentage of settlements include a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
The thing for me about this whole "collusion" argument is are all the teams that didn't sign him potentially racist?
It's just that simple and stupid.

I've been ignoring professional football for the majority of Lamar Jackson's career. That whole 2014-2022 period was a rough one for me and so I can't honestly say I've ever seen him run more than a handful of plays or a few highlights. My question is "Has anyone ever seen Lamar Jackson take over a game with his arm? Has he ever led the Ravens in a game where the running attack was not effective and had to go to the air to come from behind or simply outscore the other team?

It's not so much that the QB can't be a running QB. It's that RB's already do that and if your QB can also run then that's great but at some point he's going to have to be able to win a game through the air with his arm. If he can't manage that then what's the point of lining him up over center? What's the point of being that one dimensional? Who wants to do that and pay a guaranteed premium for the pleasure? Lamar Jackson's nuts if he really thought anyone was going to pay him like that.

I've read that LJ is pleased that his lobbying for WR was granted. I don't want him but if here I will root for him.

I think I read a month ago or so on draft sharks IIRC that his chances of reinjury is only about 17%. We are going to improve oline, WR and already have good RBs. That will help him. He has to come off of the fully guaranteed contract for 5 years.

Ravens have to come off the two round ones.

A deal possibly but I hope not.

Wrong! They went the non-exclusive route to prove that there’s not another team out there willing to give him the type of contract he’s demanding. And, guess what? They have been right so far. There has been zero attempt by any of the other 31 teams to pay Lamar the outrageous contract he’s seeking. It’s funny that he’s now all about the Ravens now that OBJ was signed, it in reality it’s him backpedaling and will try to spin it to look like all he wanted was a good receiver. He’ll probably proceed to signing a smaller contract than he was seeking now that he sees no other team tho is he’s worth what he thinks he is.

I've read that LJ is pleased that his lobbying for WR was granted. I don't want him but if here I will root for him.

I think I read a month ago or so on draft sharks IIRC that his chances of reinjury is only about 17%. We are going to improve oline, WR and already have good RBs. That will help him. He has to come off of the fully guaranteed contract for 5 years.

Ravens have to come off the two round ones.

A deal possibly but I hope not.
With all the concerns about QB's getting hurt in the NFL, well hell, LJ is already there and he's 6'2" and 230!
Might as well take a punt on the short guy.

I'm not sure what it is, but I just don't think much of Jackson. Something about him just seems off.
I kind of feel the same way but don't know why. Looking at it from his point of view : he thinks he is better than Deshaun Watson and therefore should make very similar money. DW forced his way out; perhaps LJ should hire Mulughetta.

It's also from March 27th. It'd already been posted about and shat on at that time.
The only reason this thread is in the TexansTalk section is because of the article that was originally posted 8 pages ago.

But it's a popular thread, people won't let it die. So I'm just bringing the Texans angle back in from time to time. It's been shut down in the real world, so I'm only going to find old articles now.

fml

Couple of things you've clearly failed to understand:

1 Mahomes' contract is trash. No other qb would've signed the contract he signed having achieved what he had already achieved. That's truly a 1 of 1 contract...& not in a good way.

2 Once you get up to over 100 mil plus in guaranteed money to any 1 player, you've already "screwed" yourself as a franchise...period. That type of money isn't whisked away no matter when you're able to "get out of the contract". Jones was guaranteed 92 million...81 million of that guaranteed at signing....they can get out of it after 2025 at the earliest...meaning they're stuck with him for the next 2 years....a....Now lets put that in perspective. His numbers are VERY similar to Davis Mills. Are you good with the Texans giving Davis Mills nearly 100 million for his 16 passing TD's? You think that type of money might prevent them from signing a key FA...or resigning 1 of their own key FA?

3 This is bigger than the LJ8 contract.
You have proven my point. Jackson has missed 5 and 6 games, respectively the last 2 seasons. You think any team wants to sign him without some type of escape after a few years?

Jones
23= 21 million
24= 45 million
25=40 million
26=56 million, but look at the outs.

Jones dead cap
2025= 18 million
2026 = 9 million.

Deshaun Watson cap hit
23=19 million
24, 25, 26= 64 million each year.

Dead Cap
2025 =136 million
2026= 73 million

Tell me which contract is going to prohibit signing players

The only reason this thread is in the TexansTalk section is because of the article that was originally posted 8 pages ago.

But it's a popular thread, people won't let it die. So I'm just bringing the Texans angle back in from time to time. It's been shut down in the real world, so I'm only going to find old articles now.

fml
Should move the thread to the NFL forum if not the NSZ

The NFL paid less than 10 million dollars to be done with that..why wouldn't they settle. Taking that case to trial would've been much more costly. Just in lawyer fees alone..

As a side note, Jalen Hurts just signed a 5-yr $255M extension with $179.3M guaranteed.
Yep. This SHOULD end the talk ofJackson getting 230 million+ gauranteed.

Should move the thread to the NFL forum if not the NSZ

It will after the draft and/or after he is signed.

It's only here because the Texans were mentioned in the article, even though we all know it's click bait and there is zero chance that the Texans work a deal for Jackson.

I figure it's just fodder for the off-season cannon. lol

Contract issues aside? The contract is what would absolutely keep the deal from happening. How would Caserio open up cap space to squeeze LJ in? Can't happen, even if the two sides wanted it to happen.

Wrong! They went the non-exclusive route to prove that there’s not another team out there willing to give him the type of contract he’s demanding. And, guess what? They have been right so far.
It could be said that the Ravens went with the non-exclusive franchise tag because they knew another team wouldn't make an offer due to collision. That's the argument the NFLPA would make.

Considering Hurts just got signed to an extension that makes him the highest paid QB in the league, the collusion angle seems to be about the entire league colluding against Jackson. So is that really collusion, or is it about an unreasonable self-assessment of market value?

Considering Hurts just got signed to an extension that makes him the highest paid QB in the league, the collusion angle seems to be about the entire league colluding against Jackson. So is that really collusion, or is it about an unreasonable self-assessment of market value?
The whole collusion argument is moot for me - after all it is a black dominated league.

Contract demands too much. I really want to keep 33 but like the round one from Ravens. Trade package rounding into more acceptable and could be made porridge right. LJ has given no sign he wants to get smart about dollars.

Ravens have to get a top two of this draft QB if LJ goes. We pressure them for 1.2 and a lot of pressure.

Trade package:

1.2 we insist we can get comparable QB with no contract demands like LJ so we want LJ + pick 22 and keep our 33. The rest of trade proposed is good. Ravens must move Jackson and start progress forward. As with any other position we have seen traded, the team takes what it can get and goes on. They can get their QB or possibly trade down for one of the 4 QBs in deals like I and others have mentioned.

Low Risk of injury:

Contract: LJ should realize draft is his friend as Ravens want to move him for picks now. He loses after draft. He should also realize that Watson and Russell Wilson deals were outliers that no other team wants. Hurts took his team to SB and was in running for NFL MVP. Yes, the tag when signed puts $23 m in his account but he could also lose his future with an injury. He should bet on himself and agree to a reasonable $40 m GTD for 2023 plus $40 million signing bonus prorated over 5 season. Incentives for rushing, passing, TDs, playoffs, etc can get him up to $50m. *No one mentions he doesn't pay an agent a cut which boost him closer to Hurts. If he remains healthy, each following year becomes fully GTD with each new NFL year. His stats are consistent annually so he should be excited about that.

As he has turned down reportedly very good offers from Baltimore, LJ just might want out.

Contract issues aside? The contract is what would absolutely keep the deal from happening. How would Caserio open up cap space to squeeze LJ in? Can't happen, even if the two sides wanted it to happen.

It could be said that the Ravens went with the non-exclusive franchise tag because they knew another team wouldn't make an offer due to collision. That's the argument the NFLPA would make.
I lean towards agreeing with you that contract is hold up but a deal could give LJ much of what he wants and still get us under cap. We have approx $10- 12 m space depending on where were end up drafting therefor reducing rookie dollars a few million. Tunsil's 2024 + base could be used. Howard renegotiation could lower from $13m to ~5-7. I think a cap hit for LJ of $25-30 million could be absorbed for 2023.

Does that open it up for him to be traded tonight?

Certainly could, but I think the more realistic case is the Eagles/Hurts deal was the catalyst to finally get the Ravens and Lamar to come to genuine terms.

Back