Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Not any more... She's history... not even yesterdays news anymore. Now she's just desperate for attention.

She's "history" but just hosted the 2015 VMAs?

I don't like her at all, but older dudes like us don't have much insight into pop culture relevancy these days.

I hadn't heard. I guess the VMAs were a better option than "Naked and Afraid."

lol! I suppose. I don't watch any pop culture, especially the VMAs (or really any industry award shows for that matter). I only knew about her hosting because I have to see those Yahoo news headlines when I go to check my e-mail.

I'd love to see her on Naked and Afraid, though. She wouldn't last a couple of days out there, and I would have a little fun watching her fail. ;)

lol! I suppose. I don't watch any pop culture, especially the VMAs (or really any industry award shows for that matter). I only knew about her hosting because I have to see those Yahoo news headlines when I go to check my e-mail.

I'd love to see her on Naked and Afraid, though. She wouldn't last a couple of days out there, and I would have a little fun watching her fail. ;)
Bad eyes. I thought you said watching her tail?

Getting rid of AJ, Myers and signing Hoyer are firable offenses.

So far those decisions are proving to be right so wtf are you talking about? AJ looks like 2014 Reggie Wayne, and Myers heart was not in the game anymore so he retired. I agree on the signing of Hoyer being a screw up, but of the fireable nature, I think not.

Great post. Rick Smith is an abomination. We all know this. O'Brien's personnel decisions and drafts are worthy of the pink soap. He has lost me. Getting rid of AJ, Myers and signing Hoyer are firable offenses. For a an offensive guru, we are fielding the worst offense in the AFC with the worst QB play. Some supposed QB whisperer. Our coach is a fraud.

Why O'Brien will get Fired!

1. One of his first player personnel decisions was to cut Owen Daniel and Daniel Manning, both in the last year of their contract, both would've been compensatory draft picks if they had played out the last year of their contract. (Manning was resigned the same year he was cut) (2) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

2. Cut DJ Swearinger 2nd RD/#57 - (1) DRAFT PICK WASTED

3. Traded 2014 draft picks #101, #179 to move up to #83 to draft Louis Nix, Cut Nix. - (3) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

4. Traded 2015 draft picks #51, #116, #195 to move up to #43 to draft Bednardrick McKinney - (3) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

5. Traded 2015 draft picks #82, #152, #229, DeVier Posey to move up to #70 to draft Jaelen Strong - (4) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

6. McNair not pleased with all the Hard Knocks profanity.

IN LESS THAN 24 MONTHS BILL O'BRIEN HAS THROWN AWAY 12 DRAFT PICKS. IN THE 2ND YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT O'BRIEN HAS NOT ADDRESSED THE TEAM'S MAJOR DEFICIENCY AT QB.

1. One of his first player personnel decisions was to cut Owen Daniel and Daniel Manning, both in the last year of their contract, both would've been compensatory draft picks if they had played out the last year of their contract. (Manning was resigned the same year he was cut) (2) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

3. Traded 2014 draft picks #101, #179 to move up to #83 to draft Louis Nix, Cut Nix. - (3) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

4. Traded 2015 draft picks #51, #116, #195 to move up to #43 to draft Bednardrick McKinney - (3) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

5. Traded 2015 draft picks #82, #152, #229, DeVier Posey to move up to #70 to draft Jaelen Strong - (4) DRAFT PICKS WASTED

IN LESS THAN 24 MONTHS BILL O'BRIEN HAS THROWN AWAY 12 DRAFT PICKS. IN THE 2ND YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT O'BRIEN HAS NOT ADDRESSED THE TEAM'S MAJOR DEFICIENCY AT QB.

Great post. I am going to send this to others and give you credit. This type of analysis is why you are far and away the best poster on this board.

But Bill O'Brien is 9-9 in 18 games while playing six different quarterbacks and dealing with several key injuries (Arian Foster) and a makeshift offensive line with a banged up Duane Brown, who is also missing games. He's not going to lose his job anytime soon. He's going to get his "four years here" at minimum before being fired even if we keep losing. If after four years he still can't find a successful quarterback then he's likely gone. A good quarterback, especially an elite one, can mask a lot of those failed draft picks.

This type of analysis is why you are far and away the best poster on this board.

Get a room already.
2474127-free_poster_h5tsk2hyrf_bromance.jpg

But Bill O'Brien is 9-9 in 18 games while playing six different quarterbacks and dealing with several key injuries (Arian Foster) and a makeshift offensive line with a banged up Duane Brown, who is also missing games. He's not going to lose his job anytime soon. He's going to get his "four years here" at minimum before being fired even if we keep losing. If after four years he still can't find a successful quarterback then he's likely gone. A good quarterback, especially an elite one, can mask a lot of those failed draft picks.

Thanks for some reality here. People continue to act like a ton of winning teams don't have these problems. Their QB's make up for them, and edge them in many games where these problems don't seem anywhere near as problematic.

Is that what you're actually predicting, or is that just something that you just want to happen?
Yet again, you have no answer to the facts that Texian has presented. All you have are snide comments. The cognitive dissonance you are experiencing is telling. The first step is admitting your problem. You have faith in the Texans and think they know what they are doing. The reality is they don't. Facts are on our side. You can't refute it.

Yet again, you have no answer to the facts that Texian has presented.

Clearly Nix was a mistake.

Manning and OD I would put down as mistakes.

Don't see how DJ goes on OB.

It's way too early to call McKinney and Strong wasted. Trying to leverage that into 7 wasted picks is chicanery.

The McNair thing is made up.

It common for new coaches to cut players that don't fit their scheme, culture or are expensive. I have no issue with cutting OD or Manning.

Nix, was an error but the guy had talent, so I don't mind them taking a shot on a guy.

I'm not sure how you can complain about trading up to grab players until you see how said players turn out. If Strong and McKinney turn into to studs then I don't thin anyone is going to complain about trading up to get them. You have to give young guys a chance. We're 2 freaking games into their rookie season. I remember people complain about Brown and KJ as young players and they turned out to be good players.

BTW, I remember several years ago Texian talking about trading a boat load of picks (including multiple first rounders) and players to get RG3. Would he have fired himself after seeing how RG turned out?

It common for new coaches to cut players that don't fit their scheme, culture or are expensive. I have no issue with cutting OD or Manning.

Nix, was an error but the guy had talent, so I don't mind them taking a shot on a guy.

I'm not sure how you can complain about trading up to grab players until you see how said players turn out. If Strong and McKinney turn into to studs then I don't thin anyone is going to complain about trading up to get them. You have to give young guys a chance. We're 2 freaking games into their rookie season. I remember people complain about Brown and KJ as young players and they turned out to be good players.

BTW, I remember several years ago Texian talking about trading a boat load of picks (including multiple first rounders) and players to get RG3. Would he have fired himself after seeing how RG turned out?

You're going to tell me Fisher from Oregon isn't the best player in the last draft ? That's who Texian was touting and the Texans do miss on players but they all do .

Clearly Nix was a mistake.

Manning and OD I would put down as mistakes.

Don't see how DJ goes on OB.

It's way too early to call McKinney and Strong wasted. Trying to leverage that into 7 wasted picks is chicanery.

The McNair thing is made up.

Your research is not quite as good as it used to be. As for McKinney and Strong, give it time, they fit the Texans pattern of behavior for draft picks, McKinney never met a play fake where he didn't bite and Strong has straight line speed, his change of direction is not conducive to good route running and why he can't get on the field. Plus he can't hang on to the ball. He lost weight to improve his route running, apparently it hasn't worked.

Last edited:
For the record, I wanted Whisenhunt.

I did too. My #2 choice was Lovie.

Those were the two NFL coaches with superbowl experience on the market at the time.

Instead we went with BoB, who only had two years of mediocre Penn State experience.

I will never understand McNair's thought process when he hires.. The third time is supposed
to be a charm, but I am skeptical right now.. we lose to the Bucs and I might have to
throw in with the guys that do the pink soap thing on here..

I will never understand McNair's thought process when he hires.

The first two made perfect sense to me. Dom Capers wasn't a great head coach (and made matters worse by trying to involve himself in the offense), but he was someone who had experience and success as the head coach of an expansion team. Fangio should've been a competent coordinator, but we acquired talent with a 'see what sticks' approach - and were deep in a hole with the adjusted expansion draft. That was a smart hire to kick things off ... though he paired Dom with a very very VERY stupid hire in Casserly. Casserly's failures at GM were spectacular long before becoming a Texan. Coach was fine, and McNair effed it up in grand fashion.

Kubiak was a fantastic hire. Hometown kid aside, he was someone who was at the same time 'new' and had more experience (and rings) than any other coaching option in the NFL. Again he was paired badly right off the bat with Mike Sherman because in McNair's ignorance he was forced to lean on a consultant (Reeves who had gone the way of Casserly) with conflicting values. That also included being saddled with David Carr, Ahman Green and a mountain of salary dumps in the next 2-3 years. Kubiak's biggest knock was being a first time head coach while at the same time the only guy in the organization who knew what was going on. Unlike Capers, Kubiak stuck to what he knew and made the most of it. Unlike with O'Brien, it didn't matter who came in on offense, because Kubiak could coach, teach and scheme the whole shebang - and if he DID get someone of value (Kyle) they were promoted elsewhere. What he didn't have was someone on defense who he could trust until Wade became available. His mistake, Kubiak brought a random front office guy who he worked with to become GM ... that coddled up to the owner and threw our coaches under the bus in an absolutely epic way, and may do so for another decade before our owner figures it out. Again, McNair both in the beginning of Kubiak's tenure and as I've illustrated at the end of his tenure - effed it up in grand fashion.

O'Brien I don't understand. New England coaches have yet to succeed. The one with the most potential drafted Tim Tebow in Denver and was driven out of town with torches and pitchforks. We chose a guy with no real experience at the NFL level, and 2 years in college who literally brought up his college coaches. Had Romeo not been available we'd have a coaching staff with as much NFL experience as Peyton Manning ... combined. Actually, take Romeo and Vrabel out of the equation ... do we combine our major coaches to equal Manning's 18-19 years in the NFL? O'Brien came to us with 5 years in the league, so I guess that's a pretty good chunk. I'm rooting for O'Brien, but it looks like McNair effed it up in grand fashion.

Last edited:
O'Brien I don't understand. New England coaches have yet to succeed. The one with the most potential drafted Tim Tebow in Denver and was driven out of town with torches and pitchforks. We chose a guy with no real experience at the NFL level, and 2 years in college who literally brought up his college coaches. Had Romeo not been available we'd have a coaching staff with as much NFL experience as Peyton Manning ... combined. Actually, take Romeo and Vrabel out of the equation ... do we combine our major coaches to equal Manning's 18-19 years in the NFL? O'Brien came to us with 5 years in the league, so I guess that's a pretty good chunk. I'm rooting for O'Brien, but it looks like McNair effed it up in grand fashion.

I'll grant you the "New England coaches have yet to succeed," but I liked the O'Brien hire. I liked that he had a lot of college experience at various levels, and that he had those 5 years in the league (I can't understand how that equates to "no real experience at the NFL level.") He also went into a very bad Penn State situation and did some good things.

He was not extremely successful at Penn State and he had a tendency (from what I remember) to win ugly games, games where the team fought to victory, but he did hold that program together pretty well. BUT. He had a huge fight on his hands from the old Paterno people. So that was a bad situation.

I'm still hoping he gets us going in the right direction, but the shiny, newness is starting to wear off, and he's got a huge uphill battle at this point.

I'll grant you the "New England coaches have yet to succeed," but I liked the O'Brien hire. I liked that he had a lot of college experience at various levels, and that he had those 5 years in the league (I can't understand how that equates to "no real experience at the NFL level.") He also went into a very bad Penn State situation and did some good things.

He was not extremely successful at Penn State and he had a tendency (from what I remember) to win ugly games, games where the team fought to victory, but he did hold that program together pretty well. BUT. He had a huge fight on his hands from the old Paterno people. So that was a bad situation.

I'm still hoping he gets us going in the right direction, but the shiny, newness is starting to wear off, and he's got a huge uphill battle at this point.

I can't really argue with you more than willing to see things differently. Penn State means next to nothing to me, it was 2 years - not enough time to install anything nor really build a program through recruiting. Would anyone else with a semblance of coaching pedigree have done any different with their talent?

The 'a lot of college experience' is an issue for me. I could very well be reading it wrong, but it looks like his highest stage before the Patriots was as Duke's offensive coordinator - going 1-22 in that time. Georgia Tech got progressively worse during his tenure. None of his staff has a better resume.

I can't really argue with you more than willing to see things differently. Penn State means next to nothing to me, it was 2 years - not enough time to install anything nor really build a program through recruiting. Would anyone else with a semblance of coaching pedigree have done any different with their talent?

The 'a lot of college experience' is an issue for me. I could very well be reading it wrong, but it looks like his highest stage before the Patriots was as Duke's offensive coordinator - going 1-22 in that time. Georgia Tech got progressively worse during his tenure. None of his staff has a better resume.
One of the more telling situations to me about O'Brien and Penn St is when he left, a good number of alumni, backers and donors where glad to see him go.

One of the more telling situations to me about O'Brien and Penn St is when he left, a good number of alumni, backers and donors where glad to see him go.

Not really fair,

BOB took over a program that was in shambles and did a good job. The Alumni will never be happy, they're living in the Paterno past and the ghost of Paterno isn't going to show up and save the program. Look at the mess Franklin has made of that program and compare his record to BOB's record.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Penn State, which I don't want to be too critical of here, does have a cultish devotion to doing things their way. Just consider the blind spot they had for Joe Paterno post-scandal. O'Brien didn't fit into that culture too well, and it rubbed some boosters the wrong way despite winning football games for a wrecked program.

There was also the factor of sour grapes. "I'm glad my girlfriend left me, I wasn't that into her anyway."

Great post. I am going to send this to others and give you credit. This type of analysis is why you are far and away the best poster on this board.

It's a good thing these discussions aren't verbal. Otherwise you'd have to take his sack out of your mouth to make statements like that.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Penn State, which I don't want to be too critical of here, does have a cultish devotion to doing things their way. Just consider the blind spot they had for Joe Paterno post-scandal. O'Brien didn't fit into that culture too well, and it rubbed some boosters the wrong way despite winning football games for a wrecked program.

There was also the factor of sour grapes. "I'm glad my girlfriend left me, I wasn't that into her anyway."

I read that Bill was fed up with the Joepa clan . Bill got rid of the strength coach because he was doing things from the 60s and was jumped on because that trainer was one of Paternos guys how could you .

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...ditioning-coach-john-thomas-out-at-penn-state

Last edited:
Is that what you're actually predicting, or is that just something that you just want to happen?
It's a prediction, it's handwriting on the wall, it's reasons why O'Brien will get fired. As some have pointed out it's not if but when and when the when comes this is part of the reasons why. As of today you can also add, failure to adequately address the QB position to the list of reasons.These predictions are much like my predictions these last four years that the Texans would remain average and ordinary or below, they would wallow in mediocrity as long as they continued their poor salary cap management, restructuring contracts, living in salary cap hell, constantly being the worst team in the division with available salary cap space, poor draft management, consistent below average drafts, allow unproven head coaches with final say on 53 man roster and continue with Bob McNair as GM and Rick Smith as his Asst GM.

It's not what I want to happen but it's what will happen until Bob McNair changes his ways. It's kind of like this, if you lose weight your blood pressure will go down. If you eat fatty foods, fried foods and lot of sugar your cholesterol will go up. It's Cause and Effect!

Last edited:

Need I remind you that RGIII was a good QB when he came out and took the Redskins from Worst to First and the Playoffs as a rookie. Then after suffering two major injuries he returned NOT being the same QB he was in his rookie year. He can't run.

Griffin set records for highest passer rating by a rookie quarterback (102.4) and highest touchdown to interception ratio (4:1). Aside from the week 15 game against the Cleveland Browns where he did not play, Griffin played a vital role in helping the Redskins finish the regular season on a 7-game winning streak after starting the season 3–6, leading the team to its first playoff appearance since the 2007 season. Griffin was named to enter the 2013 Pro Bowl.

Last edited:
Back