Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

This stuff has become really interesting. With all the recent talk about the conditioning of the rookies folks have been quick to look at the situation glumly as though these guys just aren't ready, but OB's comments I think are pointing to something that could be seen as a shrewd tactical approach. We've seen for years teams up north being given clear advantages when the weather drops, and for good reason. It's shaping up now that OB is making a concerted effort to turn our harsh summer conditions into a tool of sorts to really sharpen the teams fitness heading into the eventual long haul of an NFL season. Come time to either play indoors here or the milder conditions of other cities we should be the team that still has that extra 4th quarter reserve to make some critical plays throughout the year. Of course I could just be gruesomely optimistic, but I like the look of leaving no stone unturned in preparation and making a hometown advantage a strength of this football team.
As with almost everything, there is an advantage to additional time getting in betters shape. But there is also a cost. While we may last longer on the field, there is likely to be an injury or two more due to the additional time and energy devoted to conditioning and strength.

This is where depth helps the most. Mitigate the downside while receiving the benefits of the upside. I'd love to see a return of the next-man-up philosophy in this new regime. I suppose you could say the flexibility element enters into this same equation.

This stuff has become really interesting. With all the recent talk about the conditioning of the rookies folks have been quick to look at the situation glumly as though these guys just aren't ready, but OB's comments I think are pointing to something that could be seen as a shrewd tactical approach. We've seen for years teams up north being given clear advantages when the weather drops, and for good reason. It's shaping up now that OB is making a concerted effort to turn our harsh summer conditions into a tool of sorts to really sharpen the teams fitness heading into the eventual long haul of an NFL season. Come time to either play indoors here or the milder conditions of other cities we should be the team that still has that extra 4th quarter reserve to make some critical plays throughout the year. Of course I could just be gruesomely optimistic, but I like the look of leaving no stone unturned in preparation and making a hometown advantage a strength of this football team.

There's that, but I'm also thinking raising the overall conditioning level of these guys will help us with that snakebitten thing where someone "always" gets hurt. Broken legs & things like that... this probably isn't going to help, but soft tissue stuff, groins, hamstrings, biceps, quads.... hopefully we'll see a reduction in those types of things that keep our guys off the practice field & less than 100% ready on game day.

I'd like to hear CnnnD or someone chime in on what sort of conditioning, if any, can help (I know there are no guarantees) prevent soft tissue problems.

I just died and went to Heaven:

"I’ll use Louis Nix as an example. I think Louis Nix has come back in good shape. He’s running around.." O'Brien

tempBB1_3151--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

(on evolving in his second year as head coach) “...I try to look at the things that we’re doing all the time. I really try to analyze everything that we’re doing every day and every night. I try to make notes on things. If it’s the middle of the night, wake up and try to make a note on something to get it corrected the next day.

I don’t think any head coach in this league is ever satisfied. If you ever to get to that point, then you’re really in the wrong business. It will pass you by. I don’t know about the evolution and all those things...

If I’m going to stand up in front of the team and demand that they get better, and talk about it’s a progress league and it’s a league of improvement, then I better be living that. I try to do that as much as I can.”
(on if he pays attention to trends around the NFL) “Absolutely.

One of the things we try to do is it’s hard to study all 31 other teams. It’s hard to do that. You don’t really have enough time in the day because number one you’ve got to take care of your own team, but I think we do try to pick certain teams that we think are similar to some of the things that we do on offense, defense and special teams and study some of the things that they’re doing.

Are those things that can make us better?

Are they doing some things defensively or offensively that we can take, not necessarily copy, but take the concept of it and see if we can incorporate it into what we do.

I traveled a lot this offseason, more than I did the previous offseason and went around to different college teams. I was also talking to some pro coaches and just asking different questions about how they practice and how they do certain things. I’ve learned a lot and some new things that way.

Some of the two spot stuff we’re doing right now, we didn’t do that last year. We’re doing a little bit more of that in the spring.

We’re always trying to see what we can do to be better.”

Head Coach Bill O’Brien

(opening statement) “One thing first, I don’t think I officially announced this yet, but I’ll start off by just officially announcing that George Godsey is the offensive coordinator. I’m sure you guys at some point will have a chance to spend some time with him. He’ll be the offensive coordinator. It’s really not too much different then what he did last year, it’s just his got the title.”

(on the decision to promote George Godsey to offensive coordinator) “Well, I had coached him and then we had worked together in New England, where he was in an offensive assistant position there. He had grown a lot as a coach. It wasn’t necessarily anything that I wanted to see, it was just more, ‘let’s make sure we’re getting on the same page here.’ Not just the first year, but the beginning of that first year, we hadn’t coached together in a couple years because obviously he wasn’t at Penn State with me, but I just thought he did a heck of a job last year. He did a really good job of dealing with all the things that came up during the year and he deserves this opportunity.”

(on Offensive Coordinator George Godsey’s personality) “He’s here- he’s one of the first guys to arrive. A very bright guy. He works really hard at the game, not only studying what we’re doing but kind of studying the tendencies of the rest of the league on both sides of the ball. He, along with a lot of the other guys on this staff, have a lot of good input in the staff meetings behind the scenes and in offensive meetings. I think the players respect the type of teacher that he is and how demanding he is. He does a lot of things behind the scenes that you guys aren’t able to see. Hard Knocks will see it, so you guys will be able to see it now. You guys can see those Hard Knocks episodes.”

(on the Texans offensive coaching staff and lack of a quarterbacks coach) “I like our offensive coaching staff the way it is. George (Godsey) coaches the quarterbacks. I’m involved with the quarterbacks, so you have really two quarterback coaches on the staff. Then also, Pat O’Hara, who we added this offseason, who is kind of a guy that works with a lot of the offensive skill positions, whereas Tim Kelly works with a lot of the lineman and the tight ends as an assistant to Mike Devlin and John Perry. Pat works a lot with (Tom) Savage and some of the younger receivers, so I think the way our staff is set up right now is really good for 2015.”

(on Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin) “I think he’s a hell of a coach. I think he’s added a lot to this staff. I don’t think this is an easy job to come into and learn all the things that we do right off the bat, especially from a protection standpoint, a run game standpoint, and how we allow the quarterback at the line of scrimmage to direct us to the right play. The lineman and the line coach have to be very, very sharp and I think he’s come in here and done a really, really good job. He’s been very impressive.”

(on Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin’s personality) “He’s certainly a tough guy. He’s definitely a tough person physically and mentally. He played in this league. He was an offensive lineman for the Bills back in the Jim Kelly days. He’s a guy that brings a lot of mental toughness to the workroom and to the meetings room because of another guy that arrives early, stays late, and tries to figure out what we can do to be better in addition to learning our offense, which is tough. He’s a very bright guy. He’s a very smart guy. I saw that right away when I interviewed him. Just a really bright guy, a good communicator, and I think the players have really taken to him as a coach.”

cont'd

(on what he's seen from NT Vince Wilfork and his impact) “That’s hard just because we’re not in pads. I just know that I feel like he’s going to make a big difference for us just knowing what I know from being around him in the past. He’s one of the best nose guards to really ever play this game and he’s going to add that dimension to our defense and our front. Also, he’s leadership in the locker room has been really good. As far as totally seeing what it does with all the packages that we have on defense, it’s hard because we’re not in pads. It’s more of a passing camp right now. More so for the development of the skill positions then it is necessarily for the lineman on both sides of the ball. I know that with Vince, he’s going to add a lot to our defensive front.”

(on where things stand with G David Quessenberry) “Well, first of all, I think his story is something that we probably- I know you guys have done a great job of covering his story, but I think it’s something that should be talked about even more. I mean, think about what this guy has gone through just to even be here today. To even be here, playing on a pro football team, coming back from cancer, I think probably it’s a little bit better question for him. Not as a cop out, but just more he’s a very bright guy. He knows his body really well. He knows where he’s at in his treatments. I have an idea of where he is at. I would say that this season is a possibility. I would not rule it out. I would not rule it out, but we haven’t come to that determination yet. He’s here every day. He’s not allowed to be out there as far as in the practice, but he’s out there. You guys see him out there. He’s in all the meetings. He can lift weight. I just think it’s an unbelievable story. It says a lot about him. It says a lot about our organization, I think, that we’ve stuck by him.”

(on holding joint practices with the Washington Redskins in August) “I do really believe in these joint practices. Especially when we can get away, go to Richmond, practice against a very, very good football team with a great coaching staff and great players and be in the hotel. It’s like a camp unto itself, so I think that it’s going to help our team. I thought when we went to Denver last year, I thought that was a great experience for our team. I think it helped our team and hopefully this will be the same type of experience. We’re looking forward to working with those guys. Speaking to Coach (Jay) Gruden, he’s just obviously a great guy to work with. I know that New England went against them last year and had a great experience with them, so we’re looking forward to the same thing.”

(on what he is looking for from the players during OTAs) “There’s a lot more situations now, so I’m really looking for how we adapt to the different situations. The first two weeks was a lot of first and second down. A little bit of third down in the second week. Now, it’s first, second, third down, two minute, red area will come up now, we’ll be doing more four minute situations, end of game situations. It’s not that you didn’t have to be mentally sharp in the beginning, you always have to be mentally sharp. But you really have to be in tune with your teammates and your coaches as far as what’s coming over the horizon over the next two weeks here. Today was a third down day, a two minute day. I thought we had a good, tough practice today, but we have to do a better job in situations and I think these guys are really in tuned to it.”

(on the importance of the team standing behind G David Quessenberry) “That’s what I’m saying. I think it’s important to. First of all, you have a guy, let’s just tell it right off the bat. This guy is a good football player. This is a guy that was a versatile football player, could play tackle, could play guard, I think we even trained him a little bit at center last spring before he was diagnosed. This is a tough guy. This is a guy that went out there and practiced three or four times last year with cancer. Before he was diagnosed, he was fighting through what he thought was probably some type of flu, cold, or something. Geoff Kaplan and our doctors sent him right over to the hospital and found out it was cancer. Here’s a guy that’s tough. Here’s a guy that’s been through all these different things, radiation, chemotherapy, and all the things that he’s been through to be back here where he is today. I just think he’s an inspiration to our football team. I know that teammates have a lot of respect for him and the coaching staff does, so good football player, tough guy, been through a lot. Let’s see where it’s at. Maybe not right today, but down the road here, let’s see where it’s at.”

(on the importance of RB Arian Foster to the offense) “He was a big part of it last year. He was a big part of it. When he plays and he’s out there, he means a lot to our offense. He’s one of the best backs in the league. I believe what I’ve seen this spring out of him, he’s a very motivated individual. He’s out there, he’s practicing hard, and he’s been here every day. We appreciate that as a coaching staff. He is, you’re right, he’s an important part of our offense and we need him out there. He’s been out there every day and it shows. We’ve been able to do some decent things on offense this spring. A lot of it has to do with him being out there.”

(on if the coaches have ‘scratched the surface’ on what they can do with RB Arian Foster) “You entered into the Arian Foster laboratory. He can throw. I think in a lot of ways, he’s right. He’s a good runner. He’s a good pass catcher out of the backfield. He can line up in empty. He’s a very bright football player. I don’t know about ‘scratching the surface,’ or scratching this, scratching that. I just know that we’re going to use him as one of the more important parts of our offense.”

(on judging the kick and punt returners during OTAs) “That’s something that I think about a lot. That position is definitely up for grabs both kickoff return and, most importantly, punt return is up for grabs. It’s tough to get a gauge on that right now. What you can tell right now is, ‘can this guy catch or can he not catch.’ That’s the way it is right now, but I think when we get into preseason it’s going to be really important for us to see what these guys do in practice, against the Redskins, in the preseason games, and be able to make a determination towards the end of August about that position. But yeah, you’re going to have to really determine that during training camp.”

(on OLB John Simon) “John Simon is a guy that we picked up from Baltimore last year that really defines in many ways the type of player that were looking for. He’s tough. He’s smart. He’s in here all the time. He works extremely hard in the weight room. He’s a great teammate. He’s a guy that I’m familiar with when I was at Penn State. We played against him when he was at Ohio State. Mike Vrabel was very familiar with him, coaching him at Ohio State. He’s been a good addition to our team. He really embraces the role that he has on our team and he’s been a good addition to our team. Look, he’s fighting, just like all these guys, to earn a job on this team. But he’s out there every day and he really earns the right to be out there every day, if that makes sense. He’s a tough guy and a good guy to have around right now.”

(on RB Chris Polk) “Chris Polk has come in here. It’s a very competitive position at running back. I just talked about Arian (Foster), there’s Alfred Blue, Jonathan Grimes, Chris Polk, and Kenny Hilliard. We got some guys back there and Jay Prosch at full back. It’s a very competitive position. Chris Polk has come in here and really picked up the offense pretty well, so he’s made the position even more competitive. He’s a good pass catcher out the backfield. He’s a smart guy. It’s going to be a very competitive training vamp at that position.”

(on if the offensive line depth worries him) “Again, you guys always use the word ‘worried’ with me. I really don’t get worried. You know me. I get worried about my family. What I do is I try to analyze the roster and I try to look at the roster and say, ‘okay, where do we need some help?’ Right now on the offensive line, I like the competition that’s going on there. But I think that’s going to be something that were going to have to evaluate all the way through training camp. Because when you’re out there in no pads, it’s kind of easy to see what the assignments are and who’s making mistakes as far as assignments go, but as far as contact and how they’re doing in that regard, it’s tough because there’s no pads on. Right now, I‘m happy with the way they’re working. I’m happy with the way they’re being coached, but that one is going to have to play out for a while.”

(on the importance of having versatility across the offensive line) “I would say that on the final roster, if we decide to keep nine or if we decide to keep eight, that’s always a discussion depending on that position and how it effects other positions. So when you can only keep that number of guys, those next three of four guys, you have you’re starting five, but the next three or four have to be versatile because when you go to the game, you can look on last year, where we usually went to the game with, I think, seven guys. So the sixth and seventh guy had to be guys that can play center and guard, guard and tackle, or tackle and tight end. That’s just the nature of the game because you don’t want to get stuck out there not having guys that can be versatile, so I think versatility upfront is a very, very important factor for us.”

(on WR Nate Washington) “I really like Nate (Washington). I think he’s been a good addition to our football team, both from a veteran leadership standpoint and then from his route running ability. He’s really practiced hard all spring. He’s been here a lot. He’s been out there every day at practice. He’s picked up our offense well. He’s always communicating with the other receivers and the quarterbacks. I think he’s going to add a lot to our offense. I’m glad he is here.”

(on what he has seen from G Brandon Brooks) “First of all, I think when you look at Brandon (Brooks), you see a guy that really understands the expectations with our coaching staff. He’s come in here and lost weight. He came back in shape. He’s had a really good spring. He’s, knock on wood, he’s stayed healthy. He’s moving well. He knows our offense better. I have very, very high expectations for Brandon Brooks. I think he can be one of the top guards in this league, I really do. I think he is a very, very good player who can pull and that can be stout inside. He just needs to keep developing in that regard. He’s got to have high expectations for himself. We have very high expectations for him.”

(on the team’s offensive philosophy) “We were (a running team). I think we lead the league as far as rushing attempts last year. We did. We ran the ball. We felt like that was our best way of wining last year. Playing good defense, run the football, don’t make a lot of mistakes on offense, try to be good on special teams. I think every year is different. I think when you look at our team this year, I think we have more depth on offense especially at the receiver position, the tight end position, and the running back position. I think you have two quarterbacks that are very familiar with our system as far as both pass and run, how to get us out of a bad play and into the right play. They really have a good understanding of it. I’m not sure what our team is right now in regards to what type of offense will be. We are a game-plan offense, so what that means is when we play a certain team, let’s say we’re playing Jacksonville as opposed to playing Baltimore. Our gameplan is going to be totally different based on what Jacksonville does versus what Baltimore does. It’s what we need to do to win the game. If that means running the ball 55 times, then that’s what we’re going to try to do. If that’s what that means. If that means throwing the ball 55 times, then we’re going to have to figure out if that’s what we need to do. I know that’s kind of a non-answer for you, but we’re not in a situation yet in June where we can say, ‘this is the type of offense were going to be.’ We’re going to be a game-plan offense.”

(on the team running the ball a lot) “Well, we have a very good running back so you can rest assured that as long as he’s healthy and he’s out there, we will run the ball. I can tell you that. That’s one thing we will do.”

(on what he looks for from the quarterbacks) “We look at a lot of different things. We look at their operation of the huddle, their operation at the line of scrimmage, and then their operation after the ball is snapped, meaning what type of decision are they making? Are they making a good decision? Is it a poor decision? Is it a decision that maybe we can agree with because it worked but maybe we’d like a little bit better decision? So, we look at three phases with them. All three of these guys, each in their own right, have done a good job in all three of those phases. It’s a really good competition, especially between Brian (Hoyer) and Ryan (Mallett) because both of those guys are very competitive, they’re very bright guys, and they’re good quarterbacks. These guys are good quarterbacks. They can throw the football, they understand our offense, they’re good leaders, they’re good communicators, and so it’s still an evaluation process but both of those guys are really working hard. (Tom) Savage has gotten better and I think a lot of it has to do with what he’s seen from those two. That’s helped him get better. We’re driving them hard. They’re driving each other hard. It will be interesting to see how it all ends up.”

(on if WR DeAndre Hopkins will be ready for camp) “Yeah, I think (DeAndre) Hop(kins) will be ready for training camp. I can see him being ready. I don’t know the date. Like, I can’t tell you if it’s going to be July 25th or the 27th or the 28th at 9:00 am when he’ll be ready. I don’t know, but I know that he’ll be out there at some point during training camp ready to go.”

(on the importance of RB Arian Foster to the offense) “He was a big part of it last year. He was a big part of it. When he plays and he’s out there, he means a lot to our offense. He’s one of the best backs in the league. I believe what I’ve seen this spring out of him, he’s a very motivated individual. He’s out there, he’s practicing hard, and he’s been here every day. We appreciate that as a coaching staff. He is, you’re right, he’s an important part of our offense and we need him out there. He’s been out there every day and it shows. We’ve been able to do some decent things on offense this spring. A lot of it has to do with him being out there.
Translation: We're trading him.
:)

Seriously though, no Nix questions?

Bill O'Brien drives Texans with fiery approach ... and quick wit
By Michael Silver|NFL Media columnist

HOUSTON -- Ask Bill O'Brien to assess the stress of being a sports dad, and the Houston Texans' hyper-intense second-year coach holds nothing back. "Watching my son pitch, or making a fourth-down call? I'm way less nervous coaching an NFL game -- no question. When I watch him play, I'm a mess."

Yet O'Brien, while taking down a pair of soft tacos Tuesday night at a Mexican restaurant near his Houston home, managed to mine his angst for some comedic value. Recounting a story in which Michael O'Brien, a talented 10-year-old lefty, was attempting to close out a recent game in an all-star tournament in nearby Westbury, Bill said, "He started with a strikeout, but then a couple of things went wrong. Little League is huge here, and the stands were packed -- I mean, there must have been almost 200 people. So much pressure ... Then, bam, he gives up a double, and the winning run comes in. He takes his glove and slams it to the mound, as hard as he can. And I look down, shake my head and say to everyone, 'Yeah -- he got that from his mother.' "

The joke worked on multiple levels. Colleen O'Brien gave up her job as a lawyer to care for the couple's older son, Jack, who suffers from lissencephaly, a brutal neurological condition that, among other severely debilitating effects, causes him to endure numerous seizures on a daily basis. Bill lauds Colleen's patient, even-keeled demeanor, describing her as a "rock star."

Colleen's husband, meanwhile, attacks his job like Ozzy Osbourne in the heyday of Black Sabbath, with a similar affinity for F-bombs. O'Brien's forceful, driven demeanor was a major reason for the Texans' impressive turnaround last season -- despite being forced to play four quarterbacks, Houston improved upon its 2013 victory total by seven games, nearly sneaking into the playoffs with a 9-7 record -- and has the potential to make him a breakout star when the team is featured on HBO's "Hard Knocks" this summer.

If that happens, it won't be because O'Brien craved the attention. He hardly knocked on HBO's door asking them to invade the Texans' training camp with cameras; as with most coaches, he was told by his bosses that such an arrangement would be good for the organization, and he decided to make the best of the situation. That said, he has already informed the show's producer that he would prefer the storylines focus primarily on the Texans' players -- "This isn't about me; it's about our team," he explained Tuesday -- and he says he'll review all footage before it airs to ensure that they're not portrayed in a compromising light.

And while it has been presumed that the impending quarterback competition between Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett, two players O'Brien previously coached during his time as the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator, will be one of the reality show's most obvious and compelling storylines, he might be giving that the wet-blanket treatment, as well.

"That decision may be made before training camp," O'Brien said. "They're out here competing (in OTAs and at mandatory minicamp) every single day, and it's pretty intense. So, we may pick a guy very soon. And if we don't, and the decision does go into training camp, it'll be made pretty early on. The team needs to know who the guy is, and we need to go forward."

O'Brien's full-speed-ahead approach has served as the Texans' driving force since the franchise hired him in January 2014 to replace Gary Kubiak -- who, after coaching the team to the first two playoff seasons in its history, bottomed out with a disastrous two-win campaign in 2013. Yet the circumstances weren't especially daunting to O'Brien, who had coaxed a pair of winning seasons out of Penn State in the aftermath of the late Joe Paterno's retirement, the shameful Jerry Sandusky scandal and the accompanying NCAA sanctions.

Throw in his impressive stint as the Patriots' offensive coordinator during the 2011 Super Bowl run, his fifth season on coach Bill Belichick's staff, and O'Brien has a hell of a résumé. He has proven to be even better than advertised, at least in the eyes of the Texans' best and most respected player.

"He's a very, very good football coach," said defensive end J.J. Watt, the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year. "He's extremely knowledgeable, he has high expectations and he holds people accountable. I like the fact that he understands that it takes extreme hard work, it takes a lot of study, and it takes everybody knowing (his) role on the team and doing (his) job to be great.

"There's no substitute for hard work, and I like the fact that we work to be good. To be a coach like that, you have to be willing to put in the work yourself. You can't just talk about it; you have to be about it."

O'Brien doesn't shy away from his reputation as a taskmaster. On Tuesday, while sipping a Corona and keeping tabs on Game 3 of the NBA Finals, the coach pulled out his iPhone and revealed its standing, daily alarm of 4:30 a.m. "I usually wake myself up by then anyway," he said. "It's so great, getting to be one of the 32 people who's an NFL head coach, and grinding is the only way I know how to do this. We worked them hard today, and it was hot out there. But that's who the Houston Texans are."

A native of Andover, a Boston suburb, O'Brien has certainly attempted to create an environment similar to New England's. He is an unabashed admirer of Belichick -- and he remains close with Josh McDaniels, who both preceded and succeeded him as the Pats' offensive coordinator -- but he is far from a Hoodie clone.

Whereas Belichick would rather spend an afternoon shoveling snow in a tuxedo than reveal a shred of personality -- especially to outsiders -- O'Brien has a congenial side that he doesn't try very hard to conceal. In the words of one former Patriots front-office employee, "He's a disciple of Bill, but he's very much his own man. And even as he has moved on and had success, he hasn't changed at all. Great coach, great guy."

Said Hoyer: "He's still the same fiery, intense guy I played for in New England. Having lived there, when you think of a guy who grew up in Boston, sometimes the accent will come out when the yelling starts. He's kind of the definitive blue-collar guy who works his butt off and demands a lot out of you, but he can also make you laugh. He keeps it light. He talks a lot about having perspective on things."

In O'Brien's case, perspective is a given. Jack's condition is a constant source of stress and fear -- when Bill is at work, Colleen contacts him when their son suffers a grand mal seizure, but lesser episodes are so routine that she handles them on her own. Diagnosed around the time of his first birthday, Jack, his father recalled, "wasn't supposed to make it to 2. He's 13 now. I actually told the team about it the other day, to make a point about beating the odds and defying expectations."

Though O'Brien helps care for Jack when he's not at work, and has basically distilled his life to coaching and family, maintaining a healthy balance is a struggle.

"I'm not as good at it as I sometimes think I am," he conceded. "I think about the Houston Texans all the time. I've got to be the best head coach I can be for this team, every day -- but I don't bring work home. When the season's over, that's when my perspective's better. And it'll be hard to have great perspective when 'Hard Knocks' is around, but I'll try."

If O'Brien decides on a starting quarterback before the cameras start rolling, it will be because either Hoyer or Mallett will have stepped up and seized the job. "Both guys are competitive as hell," O'Brien said. "We feel like we have two really good guys. I know people on the outside aren't high on our quarterbacks, but I feel really good about our situation."

As further proof of O'Brien's growing comfort level, he'll cede one of his major responsibilities to George Godsey, the trusted associate he recently promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator. "I'm going to let him take over play-calling," O'Brien said. "He'll do a really good job -- and I feel like you have to be careful, as a head coach, not to focus too much on any one area. You have to be the coach for the whole team."

While O'Brien has many mentors, including former college coaches George O'Leary and Ralph Friedgen, that philosophy represents another instance in which Belichick's influence is obvious.

"He can go to any position meeting, and he can go to any position on the field during practice, and coach that position like it's his position," Watt said of O'Brien. "And for a guy to know every single position on the field, and every single assignment that they're supposed to have, while having every other responsibility as a head coach -- well, it's pretty impressive."

Less impressive is O'Brien's wardrobe, as discerning "Hard Knocks" viewers will discover.

"My wife asks me, 'Do you ever change your clothes?' " O'Brien said. "I wear the same thing every day: A ball cap, a white undershirt, a blue T-shirt and blue sweatpants that are really light, because I have Irish skin and don't want to get sunburned. The undershirt can be white or blue, but the T-shirt is always blue. And I always have a white towel around my neck, because I sweat a lot, and I need to wipe my (follically challenged) head. I have two of everything, so the clothes are usually clean. I told our equipment guys, 'I'm not a very complicated man.' "

He's also not very PG-13, though O'Brien insisted he'd do his best to clean up his language when HBO's cameras are rolling out of deference to his parents, John and Anne, who'll be watching from their home in Cape Cod.

"They may have to bleep out a lot," Hoyer said. "I'm a little nervous about (swearing on camera) myself. But I think people who don't know Billy will see him and will love him for the way he is. He demands a lot out of you, and he's gonna tell you how it is. Sometimes you may not like it, but for the most part, he's usually right."

As O'Brien polished off his plate and prepared to head home Tuesday night, he dropped another nugget that could preempt another expected "Hard Knocks" storyline: Second-year pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney's struggle to return from last December's microfracture surgery on his right knee. There has been speculation that Clowney, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2014 draft, might not be the same player following the surgery, but O'Brien was surprisingly optimistic.

"I think he's gonna be there for the opening game (of the regular season) against Kansas City," O'Brien said. "I think he's going to make it back, and I'm really looking forward to that. He's working very hard to get back."

Of course Clowney is; anything less, and his coach will be very tempted to start dropping F-bombs, quite possibly in a Boston accent.​

"That decision may be made before training camp," O'Brien said. "They're out here competing (in OTAs and at mandatory minicamp) every single day, and it's pretty intense. So, we may pick a guy very soon. And if we don't, and the decision does go into training camp, it'll be made pretty early on. The team needs to know who the guy is, and we need to go forward."

Hmmm...

If that happens, it won't be because O'Brien craved the attention. He hardly knocked on HBO's door asking them to invade the Texans' training camp with cameras; as with most coaches, he was told by his bosses that such an arrangement would be good for the organization, and he decided to make the best of the situation. That said, he has already informed the show's producer that he would prefer the storylines focus primarily on the Texans' players -- "This isn't about me; it's about our team," he explained Tuesday -- and he says he'll review all footage before it airs to ensure that they're not portrayed in a compromising light.
I wonder if that was the only way McNair could get O'Brien to agree to having the HK folks in here...?

I wonder if that was the only way McNair could get O'Brien to agree to having the HK folks in here...?

I have always thought the Texans FO had a sort of boardroom vibe about their decision making process instead of a dictator on down system. No doubt McNair made the final decisions, but I doubt it was unilateral without the involvement of his head coach and GM. I figure he has tremendous respect for O'Brien, if if his HC wants the final say to ensure that his team is not compromised in any way, then McNair made that one of the conditions to accept the show.

No... McNair didn't have to get O'Brien's buy-in but McNair doesn't strike me as a dictator boss; he seems more of a kind of guy that prefers consensus.

...maybe I shouldn't have said "only way"; if that's what you keyed in on.

I'm with you in thinking McNair isn't generally the iron fisted one way or the highway sort, but this siren has been singing to him for years and he's now made up his mind the time is right. I think OB is saying all the right things publicly about this but hates it and is only accepting of it kicking and screaming and with clear understanding that all things football related are, and will remain, of his final decision. That's seems to me their get along here.

Head Coach Bill O’Brien
(on what the team accomplished during OTAs) “I think that we’ve accomplished a lot. I think that the guys that were here last year, having been in the system now for over a year, they’re able to practice faster, there’s not as much thinking as there was when we were installing all three phases last year. So we’ve made improvement there. I think the expectation level between the coaches and the players is very good. They understand what they expect out of each other and they understand our expectations as far as how we compete in practice, the pace in which we practice. I’ve been, you know, I wouldn’t say impressed, but I’ve been happy with the rookie group. I think these guys for the most part have worked hard to try to get with our program. I told them just now out on the field that we’ve had a good offseason program and now it’s important to finish it off next week in the minicamp with some good days of practice there.”

(on naming a starter at quarterback) “Again, these two guys are competing really well. They’re very bright guys. I think they’ve both had really good springs. I really do. I think whichever guy is the guy that ends up being starter is going to do a good job for our football team. And whoever is not the starter is going to do a good job for our football team too. That guy might be named next week, it might be after the Redskins’ three days of practice, it maybe after the San Francisco preseason game. I’m not ready yet to name that guy because I think it’s important, don’t get me wrong, but I also know that we’ve got a good bunch of guys in that locker room that are competing together. I think they understand that these two quarterbacks are really doing a good job on the practice field and when the timing is right we will make a decision.”

(on what he is looking at in the decision to name a starting quarterback) “That’s a good question, that’s a very good question. We look at a lot of different things. We look at how they are in the meetings, how alert they are in the meetings, and both these guys have been really good in our meetings, whether it’s a unit meeting, a team meeting, or a position meeting. We look at how they practice out on the field. What type of decisions do they make? Are they good decisions? Are they poor decisions relative to what we’ve coached them? Are they decisions that are going to help the team, you know, help the team win the game, score a touchdown, kick a field goal, or just manage the game? Reserve the right to punt in some of these situations that we work on in practice. I would say that both guys have shown us they can be the starter. I don’t think there’s a situation here where one guy has just been that much better on any given day than the other guy. They both practice very well. I think it’s helped our team. Our team has practiced well because the ball comes out very well, very quickly and accurately. These guys command at the line of scrimmage. Both these guys know how to run an offensive huddle in pro football. They’re leaders, so I think it’s helped our team. Like I said, when the timing is right, when I feel good about who that guy is going to be, we’ll make a decision.”

(on giving play calling duties to Offensive Coordinator George Godsey) “I felt that he did a lot of that last year. I called plays. He called plays. I don’t think it’s easy to call plays in this league. I think it’s a league where the defensive coordinators on the other side of the ball and the offensive coordinators on the other side of the ball are just so good and so experienced in many ways. I think what we did last year was we worked as team, he and I. I think now he is ready to call the plays. He is ready to put the game plan in. He is ready to go out there on game day and call the plays. I will be very involved with the play calling. There will not be a play call made that I don’t approve of. Just understand that, but also at the end of the day, he’s going to call the plays and I have all the confidence in the world that he’ll do a good job. He’s a bright guy. He’s a good communicator. He’s a fast thinker. He’s a riser in this profession. He’s a good football coach and he works extremely hard at it. He is ready to do it.”

(on his expectations for OLB Jadeveon Clowney) “High expectations. I think the guy has worked hard. When I say high expectations, I mean for him coming back and being on schedule to start the season. Now, when he comes back to be able to practice in training camp, we don’t really know that yet. Obviously, he would have to practice some to be able to be ready to play in the Kansas City game, even if it was on a limited basis. But he’s worked extremely hard. I think he’s moving well. I think he feels better. We’ll be looking forward to seeing where he is at once we get back here at the end of July.”

(on if OLB Jadeveon Clowney will be limited when he comes back) “I think the smart thing to do would be not to put him in there for 80 plays a game. First of all, we’ve got guys that are out here working very hard every single day. Whitney Mercilus, John Simon, we’ve got some young outside backers that are working very hard. Again, he’s got to come back here and earn his playing time. But at the same time, we’re not going to rush him back and if he does come back and earn playing time all of a sudden play him 75 plays in a game. I think we’d have to be very smart about how much we play him early on.”

(on being a game plan offense and the challenges he faced last year) “I think they understand that more. They understand how we meet, the progression of our meeting. We have a 7:30 position meeting where we kind of talk about the specifics to that position, what’s going to happen that day. Then we go into a team meeting, then we have a unit meeting. In the unit meeting, George (Godsey) gives the overview of the day and how it relates to the whole unit. These are the runs, these are the passes, these are the routes, these are the protections that we’re putting in. I think they understand how we talk, our language, what we’re looking at defensively, how we label defenses, personnel, fronts, coverages, blitzes, how we call our own plays and our different tempos that we play at. They’re used to that now. They understand what this means, this word means now. They don’t have to go look it up. They got it. I think that’s something that means a lot a year into this thing. I think we’ve had a good offseason and training camp will be a big test for our offense.”

(on how he manages being a game plan offense) “You have to be ahead of the game, so towards the end of the previous week, whether it’s Friday night or Saturday morning, you’ve got to start to look ahead to the next opponent. That doesn’t mean you’re not thinking about first and foremost that opponent on Sunday. It just means, can you get ahead on at least studying some of the tendencies of that next opponent because that enables you to, after the Sunday game, review that Sunday game but quickly move on to with some ideas that you have on Monday and Tuesday for the Wednesday meeting. The Wednesday meeting is basically first and second down, personnel, their top players, how are we going to attack their top players, how are we going to defend their top players. Then Thursday is more of a third down, more of a hitting day, short yardage and goal line. Then Friday is red zone and two minute. That’s kind of how we do it. Saturday wraps it all up with a walkthrough. We try to stay ahead of the game. It’s difficult to do sometimes because you’re thinking about that Sunday game, but you got to try and get a jump later in the week, Friday or Saturday, on that next opponent.”

(on QB Brian Hoyer’s command of the offense) “I think he’s done a good job of working hard to get that because everybody has been a little bit different with this offense, whether it was Charlie Weiss, Josh McDaniels, myself in New England, obviously Bill Belichick had an influence on it, and now George Godsey here in Houston. It’s a little bit different. It’s kind of an interesting evolution of the offense based on who’s designing the offense. Brian has had to come in here and work hard to learn the nuances of the Houston Texans offense. That’s what it is, it’s the Houston Texans offense. I think he’s done a good job. I know that he is a very conscientious guy, so is (Ryan) Mallett. They work hard. They’re in early. They’re staying late. They’re trying to figure things out. I think they’re both doing a really good job.”

(on if one of the quarterbacks could do something next week to convince him to name a starter) “I think that would be tough. I do. I think the way that these guys compete, the way that they practice, and the way that both of them have attacked each day, I don’t see either guy right now going out there and just totally separating himself from the other guy. I think both guys are good players and they’re very competitive, but you never know. If one guy goes out and just doesn’t have a great day and the other guy has a great day, not saying you’d make a judgment there right that day, but you’d have to take that into account. Right now, that hasn’t happened so I don’t see that really happening.”

(on if it's important to see the quarterbacks against another team) “That’s part of the thought process, definitely, that we’re thinking about. We think about this all the time. We think about our roster, not just the quarterback position, but the roster. I think this is a passing camp. You can’t really run the ball, so there’s no running game. The defense is thinking pass all the time. The offense is thinking pass all the time because there’s no pads on. Not just with the quarterback, but with the defensive and offensive lines, the jury is out on a lot of these, especially the younger players. Where are these guys at? That’s where training camp comes in when we can run the ball, how is our run defense, how is our run offense, how do the quarterbacks handle the running game. I think part of that is in the thought process of making sure that we cover all our bases as it relates to all those things.”

(on how much the players on the team affect his decision about the quarterback) “I think you have to do a good job of making sure that you’re making a good decision for the team, but also understanding that maybe the team isn’t always thinking about this all the time. The team is thinking about the team. I think with these two guys, I think the team realizes that we have two good guys. Both guys can play football. They’ve proven it. Ryan (Mallett) obviously has only played in one or two games with the Cincinnati game. (Brian) Hoyer is 10-6 as a starter. He’s played a little bit more. I think our team realizes that we’ve got two good guys there and whoever plays quarterback is going to do a good job. I think our team is more concerned about the whole team and how we’re moving ahead as a team. I think that’s how they look at it right now.”

(on what he accomplished in OTAs that he feels best about) “Well, I think the big thing for me is personally that I just see our guys moving around a lot faster. Just knowing the systems on both sides of the ball and on special teams. We’re able to evaluate better because these guys aren’t thinking as much. They’re able to go out there and do it, run the route precisely, cover the running back precisely the way we teach it, understanding where to line up, and all those things. I like that. I think we’ve accomplished that. What I really do like about this team, and I do like this team right now, they work very hard. These guys are working hard out on the practice field. They come to work every single day with a good attitude. We’ve had great participation. All of this is voluntary and we’ve had everybody here. I think it’s really good to see that and I really appreciate the fact these guys basically bring their lunch pail every single day and go to work.”

(on his expectations for ILB Brian Cushing) “I really have a lot of respect for him. He and I have had a few talks over the last year, year and a half just making sure that he understands how I see his role in the defense and his role in this team. He’s a leader of this team. He’s taken to heart some of the things that he and I have talked about. He’s come back and had a hell of an offseason. He’s moving well. He made a play today out there in a two-minute drill on about a 20-yard pass where he got back in coverage and he tipped the ball away. That was a big play. It was good for me to see that. I think he felt good about making that play, but that’s an example of how far he’s come from the end of last year. I thought he was playing pretty well. I think he changed his training regime a little bit this offseason. I have very high expectations for Brian. He’s a good football player and really one of the leaders of our team.”

(on everyone being here at voluntary camp) “I just think that’s big. I think it says a lot about the guys in that locker room. That’s the one thing about me, if you really think about what I love about pro football is working with the players, coaching the players. I really enjoy these guys. These guys work very hard. They know how to laugh. They have good senses of humor. They work hard. They study hard. They practice hard. I really enjoy that about this team, so hopefully we can really come together in training camp and do something next year because it’s about time that the Houston Texans did something. It’s time for us to go out there and win games and do what this city expects us to do. So that’s what we’re looking to do. As we sit here right now, I like the direction that we’re headed.”

(on if the team has bonded) “I think you’d have to ask them. I really do. I wouldn’t want to answer for all those guys, but I do think this team has some good chemistry right now. I think there’s some good chemistry right now. We’ll have to really foster that during training camp. I think going away to Washington will help it. I think just the grind of training camp will help it. I’m looking forward to seeing how that comes together, but as we sit here right now I would say the guys in that locker room have a healthy respect for each other and how each of those guys work.”

Head Coach Bill O’Brien
(on how he will handle the quarterback situation and reps moving forward) “We mix and match those guys. We’re looking at a lot of different guys at different positions. Today, you saw some younger players in there with (Brian) Hoyer and (Ryan) Mallett. You saw some different offensive lines in there, just trying to look at the versatility of some of those guys. I wouldn’t read too much into that. It’s really all about, like I said a couple weeks ago, when the ball is snapped and the decisions that they’re making and how they’re communicating and things like that. Like I said last week, both guys have really competed hard and done a good job this spring.”

(on it being hard for either guy to convince him this early he should be the starting quarterback) “Yeah, I would say that. I think we feel very confident in both guys. We really do. We have two good guys there that have really good knowledge of our system and that have both done a really good job. It’s been tough. We’ve thrown a lot of situations at those guys, we’ve blared the music, we’ve put them into things where maybe we necessarily didn’t meet about in the morning, you know? We wanted to see how they would react to a different situation. Right now, both those guys are working very hard and, like I said, they’ve both done a good job.”

(on what he is looking for in his starting quarterback) “The most consistent guy. The guy that makes the most consistent, correct decisions, consistently completes the ball to the right guy, and gets us into the right play. The most consistent guy.”

(on planning around the weather) “Yeah, I apologize to you guys about that. I try to get the word out and I know they do a good job of getting the word to you guys. I just felt like with the forecast, I’m certainly not a meteorologist, I’m just trying to be a football coach, but when I looked at the radar, it looked like this thing was coming pretty quickly, so I felt like we needed to get good work in. What I told the players was be on the alert this afternoon. They are done for the day now. I want them to get home in case the rain really hits us, so they’re home and not having to drive through a potential flood and things like that. I told them for tomorrow to be on alert for our messages. We do a good job of messaging these guys, between myself, Emmett (Baylor), Doug West, Rick’s (Smith) crew. We do a good job of communicating with these guys. Right now, we’re on schedule to have a normal day tomorrow.”

(on trying to pick up the tempo and practice full field these last few days) “Yes, definitely. Even last week, yeah definitely. Trying to do a little bit more 11-on-11. It’s hard because, and everybody, all 32 teams are having to deal with this, but you’re not in pads, so certain determinations cannot be made until pads go on because you’re not in pads. You’re in t-shirts out there. What you want to do is try to get a lot of things covered as it relates to situational football, 11-on-11, the passing game obviously is worked much more than the running game. You’re not in pads. I think when you guys ask about all the different positions, I would say that every position that padded factor really comes into play in training camp. Guys are really going to have to earn their stripes. Obviously, up front, linebackers, offensive and defensive line, quarterbacks to a certain extent. When the pads go on, that’s going to be a big challenge for these guys and that’s when you’ll really see some guys separate at that point.”

(on if he likes what he is seeing out of OLB John Simon) “John Simon has had a very consistent spring. He’s worked very hard. One thing, when you look at John Simon, and I could say this about a number of guys on this team, Whitney Mercilus, another guy like that. These guys since the end of the season, I don’t know exactly what their vacation schedule was or not, but I know this, they were here quite a bit. There’s a number of guys like that. They worked very hard in the offseason when they weren’t required to be there. John is one of those guys. I think that’s helped him. He’s in shape. He’s stronger. He’s knows our defense better and he’s been a very consistent performer. There are a lot of things, just like everybody else, he’s got to get better at, but he’s shown up every day and been very consistent.”

(on what he looks for on tape for his outside linebackers) “I think that’s hard right now in no pads. I think that when you look at the tape right now what you’re looking for is good alignment, good hand position, and a good job of understanding the blocking scheme that’s coming at them. Other than that, as far as how is he driving the tight end back or is he driving the tight end back? Or vice-versa, is the tight end driving him back? It’s hard to judge that with no pads. We’re going to have to really look at that when the pads go on.”

(on the difference between OTAs and minicamp) “Probably, generally no difference in the practice schedule. Like I said, more situational football, more 11-on-11, but as far as the schedule of it and the structure of it, not a whole lot of difference. Just again, putting these guys in a lot of situations, see how they react, see how they know our system, and see how well they’ve studied over the weekend leading into this. I thought we had a good, competitive practice. We’ll go upstairs now, watch the tape, and see how these guys did, but probably more 11-on-11 this week.”

(on the importance of having WR Jaelen Strong back) “You know, it’s important to have everybody back. Jaelen’s got a long way to go, so it was good to see him out there today. He’s got a big stretch here in front of him where he can work on getting his hamstring better. It was a hamstring pull that he was missing with and get ready to go for training camp. But it is good to see everyone out there, rookie, veteran, whoever it is. It’s good to see everybody out there at practice.”

(on if WR Damaris Johnson has looked good) “He has. He’s done a good job. It’s a very competitive position, that receiver positon. He’s competed every day. He’s got good quickness. He’s a really hardworking guy, fun guy to coach. He knows our system better after having been in it for a year now. He’s able to understand the nuances of the different routes he has to run. He’s worked hard with these quarterbacks to understand their timing and how they throw him the ball. I think he’s had a very, very solid spring. That’s a very competitive position. Last year, I think on the first 53 (man roster) there at the beginning of the season, I think we only kept five receivers. We’ve got a good group of guys that are working extremely hard and competing. He’s one of those guys.”

(on if he is impressed with WR Cecil Shorts III although it's a passing camp) “Cecil has done a good job, along with Nate Washington. I would kind of put those guys in a similar category as far as being veteran players that are new to our system. They’ve both come in here and put a lot of studying in. They’ve done a good job of understanding where to line up, what the route call is, how the route adjusts versus different looks, and then catching the ball. Cecil is a very bright guy. I remember Cecil when he was coming out of Mount Union when I was in New England taking a looking at him. He’s a professional and he’s done a good job coming in here.”

(on who the return guy would be if they had to play tomorrow) “That’s a very good question. I would say that there are a number of candidates and I would not stand up here and give you one name. I’d give you five or six names. Obviously, Keshawn (Martin) from last year, he did it. He’s done it. He has experience. He’s done a good job with it this offseason. We’ve got two rookies that are back there fielding punts in (Chandler) Worthy and (Keith) Mumphery. We’ve got D.J. (Damaris Johnson) back there. Cecil Shorts has fielded punts. Arian Foster has fielded punts, so we’ve used a number of guys back there. Like I said, it’s June. It’s June, I don’t know what the date is, but we’ve got a long way to go before the season so I wouldn’t be ready to answer that question right now.”

(on how WR Chandler Worthy has performed) “I’d say he’s got a ways to go in the returning category, but just like every rookie, for the most part, I think this rookie class has come in here and worked extremely hard. He’s a hardworking kid. When I’m in here on the weekends, I see him in here. I see Corey Moore in here. I see a few other guys. I can’t think of them right now, but I see a number of rookies in here working extra on the weekends. Worthy is in that group and I think he’s improved, but those rookies have a long way to go. They don’t have a clue yet because this has just been like a t-shirt and shorts practice. Now, once we break this camp and we’re heading into training camp, we’re in full pads, we’re playing fast, and it’s ramped up about 10 times from what it is now. And that’s not their fault. You know what I mean? That’s what I tell them, ‘It’s not your fault, you just don’t know yet. You got to get with our program, get on the train, and understand where we are headed.’ I think all those guys, for the most part, have done a pretty good job of that.”

(on having a year with his staff) “I think that our staff works well together. We communicate well together. We’ve got a good mix on our staff of veteran coaches, guys that have coached 30-plus years, lot of years in the NFL. Some guys that have only coached a few years in the NFL. We’ve got a good mixture of that. We’ve got a staff that understands the expectation level here. The expectation is to win in Houston. What it takes to win is competing in practice. Our staff really understands that. I’ve been happy with our staff as a whole. I think that our players understand that our staff is going to tell them the truth and they’re going to bring energy to practice. Our players, you’d have to ask them, but I think they enjoy that.”

Last edited:
I don't care who the HC is, I think using your starting RB to shag punts is dumb. The league agrees since it is so rare.

Your starting RB who when healthy is the best RB in the league, but has a propensity to get knicked up and miss games, is fielding punts in mini-camp.

That is a double case of WTF?...

Your starting RB who when healthy is the best RB in the league, but has a propensity to get knicked up and miss games, is fielding punts in mini-camp.

That is a double case of WTF?...
I would HOPE this is prep for a worse/worse case situation where all the active punt return guys get hurt and Foster (by some strange twist of fate) is the only potential return guy healthy.
Nothing else makes sense.

I would HOPE this is prep for a worse/worse case situation where all the active punt return guys get hurt and Foster (by some strange twist of fate) is the only potential return guy healthy.

Just Foster being the best teammate that he can be...

BTW, 1,000th post. Seems like most have come since I moved from Houston to London. Got to stay connected!

Just Foster being the best teammate that he can be...

BTW, 1,000th post. Seems like most have come since I moved from Houston to London. Got to stay connected!

Since the Texans have existed, I haven't lived in Houston. When I go visit Houston, I love how much more information I get on the team.

THIS is my main source of information for Texans' news, supplemented by BRB and the Mothership and wherever various links take me. Love this place.

I would like to see Foster in the slot and Polk playing RB in passing situations a lot of the time this yr. Foster is the best slot guy on the team and is a threat to break one on any catch. Plus Polk is a weapon and this is a way to get him on the field more.

Breakfast: 6 reasons Dan Mullen is a fan of O'Brien's

Dan Mullen is a fan of Bill O'Brien.

The Mississippi State head coach recently spoke with John Harris at the SEC Media Days in Birmingham. Mullen had the Texans head coach speak at his coaches clinic earlier this offseason, and raved about what O'Brien said.

"He did a great job coming to talk," Mullen said. "We're so fortunate to have a guy like that come talk to the high school coaches in Mississippi at our football clinic. I know he's going to great things for the Texans this year."

Mullen peeled off a list of six reasons he's a fan of O'Brien's.

1. "He knows how to win in football."

2. "I love his intensity. He coaches hard every single day."

3. "He gets back to what football is all about."

4. "He's going to teach the game the right way."

5. "He's going to be on the cutting edge in what's new in football."

6. "But he never lets guys lose their edge. That mental and physical toughness that's going to help you win football games. That's one thing he always brings to the table. Always has. And I've known him for a long time."​

920x1240.jpg

Texans coach Bill O'Brien 'can't wait for camp to start'

Texans coach Bill O'Brien is so excited about his second training camp he's counting down the days until the veterans report Friday and practice begins Saturday.

Intense and competitive as ever, O'Brien doesn't try to mask his enthusiasm for a training camp that'll help determine the kind of start the Texans have and, ultimately, how they'll finish in the AFC South, where they're picked second behind Indianapolis.

As a rookie head coach, O'Brien led the Texans to an NFL-best seven-game improvement, including a 4-1 finish that enabled them to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs on the last Sunday of the season.

Now, there are elevated expectations and a fan base holding its collective breath that O'Brien choses the right quarterback, and either Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett can play well enough to give the team a 16-game starter for only the second time in five years.

"I love this time of year," O'Brien said recently after another long work day at NRG Stadium. "I can't wait for camp to start. I can't wait to get the players back here and start coaching football and trying to win.

"I love practice. I love the games. I love being around the players and staff.

"There's not one thing I don't love."

But here comes "Hard Knocks," and perhaps O'Brien will come to love the popular HBO series, too.

It's no secret O'Brien wasn't in favor of his team being featured on the annual August series that takes viewers behind the scenes of an NFL training camp, but owner Bob McNair insisted.

O'Brien, nicknamed "Teapot" in New England because he boiled over so much, is from that Belichickian school of privacy. Now he has a camera everywhere but his shower.

And he better check in there, too.

"I think that's going to be difficult, to be honest with you," he said about being used to the "Hard Knocks" crew filming just about everything that happens on and off the field. "I don't think it's going to be easy, especially in the beginning. There's a camera in just about every meeting I'm in charge of."

Expect O'Brien to be a big hit on "Hard Knocks." He's emotional, demonstrative and funny with a self-deprecating sense of humor. He can't hide the way he feels. His expressions betray his feelings. Reporters covering the Texans know what kind of practice they had before O'Brien answers a question.

But O'Brien might have to tone down his language at practice.

"I've always told myself since I became a head coach for the first time at Penn State that the best thing to do was to be myself," he said. "So I'll try to be myself because that's the only way I know how to be.

"In the beginning, though, there's definitely going to be an adjustment. I'd be lying if I said anything different."

During camp and preseason, including three practices against Washington at Richmond, Va., O'Brien and his staff have priorities.

First and foremost is the starting quarterback job. The Texans will have a different starting quarterback for a third consecutive season. Hoyer or Mallett will follow Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Schaub.

Developing continuity at quarterback is essential to everything the Texans hope to achieve.

O'Brien and offensive coordinator George Godsey must find a starting receiver to replace Andre Johnson. They're looking for a new starter at strong safety, as well.

Because this is his second training camp, O'Brien is much more comfortable as the first practice approaches.

"I'm a lot more knowledgeable and comfortable about how camp is run and what we need to get done," he said. "I'm a lot more familiar with how things are done in the organization, and people are a lot more familiar with me.

"We all know each other better. There's a more comfortable feeling, obviously."

O'Brien would have been right at home in the old days when camps lasted eight months, and there were six preseason games.

"Yeah, I would have really enjoyed coaching then," he said, "but I know the players are glad those days don't exist anymore."​

Thanks for including the McClain article PO. That was a good read and a descent effort by ole John.

Some interesting nuggets from OB's Wednesday presser...

Head Coach Bill O’Brien
(opening statement) “So just a couple things to start off with, a couple roster moves. We claimed Oday Aboushi. He was with the Jets previously and was on the wire and we claimed him to the 53. Add some depth on the offensive line. We traded Keshawn Martin to the New England Patriots and probably will be some more moves, who knows how many towards the end of the week here leading up to game time.

Talk about something else, obviously during the game I made the change at quarterback from Brian Hoyer to Ryan Mallett. I thought it was in the best interest of the team at the time to make an announcement to them on Wednesday and basically just let them know that I was going with Ryan Mallett as the starter against Carolina. I forgot I told my wife and I think she must have called Ian Rapoport, so these things get out there. I understand that everybody has sources and there’s no secrets in the NFL, I really do. I get that.

Ryan will be our starter against Carolina. I said all summer that it was an extremely close competition. I went with Brian early in the season here because I felt like he was the most consistent quarterback during training camp. I felt like when Ryan went into the game, he added a spark to our team. Felt like he moved the ball down the field. He was decisive, had some energy, showed good leadership and we scored 10 points.

It’s not an indictment on Brian Hoyer. I still have great respect for Brian as a player and as a person. I still think he’s a great leader in our locker room and he’s a really good teammate and he’s handled this very well this week and he’s gone out there and practiced well. I’m asking him to do the same thing now that I asked Ryan Mallett to do a few weeks ago.

I know that it’s out there, there’s something out there I learned from our media people about the Hard Knocks episode and all that. Look, I’m not going down the road of Hard Knocks. To me, that’s the problem with Hard Knocks. They have a two-minute conversation that maybe would be a half-hour conversation. They take one snippet out of it, talk about all the things that go into choosing quarterbacks and things like that.

What I try to do is make the best decision for the football team that points us in the direction of winning. Right now we’re going to go with Ryan and I know the question will be, ‘Are you going to stay with him the rest of the season?’ Look, it’s Ryan’s opportunity to go play well for our football team and lead our team offensively. At all times I always reserve the right to make decisions, positionally, staff-wise, whatever it takes, whoever plays on the field, whoever coaches what, that lead us toward winning. That’s my job. With that being said, I’ll open it up to questions as it relates to Carolina.”

(on RB Arian Foster’s status) “Yeah, as you guys saw there, he was out there today and we’re just slowly incorporating him back into practice. I wouldn’t expect him this week but you never know.”

(on T Oday Aboushi’s history with Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin being one of the reasons they added him) “Sure, anytime you’ve got a guy on your staff that’s coached that guy and been a part of that guy’s development, I think we always want to try to get that input and Mike gave us good input. He has a lot of respect for Oday and hopefully Oday can come in here and add depth and battle hard to play for us.”

(on the offensive line going up against a strong Panthers defensive line) “Look, I think that our offensive line is coming along. Did they play a perfect game last Sunday? No, I don’t think anyone did offensively. I think we’ve got to coach better and we’ve got to play better. But I do think that we’ve got a lot of versatile guys up front, tough guys, guys that are good teammates and they’re working really hard. I think we’ve had two good practices yesterday and today, so looking forward to those guys going out there and playing well on Sunday.”

(on the option of letting T Duane Brown not play and have more time to recover) “You know I think that’s always part of the thought process. It’s more of a probably, not to pass that off to somebody else, but that’s probably more of a medical question. I think that’s something that we have a conversation about. I would definitely put him in the day-to-day category.”

(on if T Chris Clark is up to speed) “Yes, he’s got a good football IQ. He’s a veteran player. He started a Super Bowl. He’s played a lot of games in this league. We noticed him when we went there to scrimmage Denver last year during the preseason. He’s a versatile player and we’re glad to have him.”

(on how much better he feels about playing QB Ryan Mallett now as opposed to last year) “I don’t know, I think every year is different. I would say that, I feel like the guy went out there during the game and played well. Look, did he make every throw? No, he missed the one throw to (Garrett) Graham on the sideline, but I thought other than that, he made a lot of good throws in the game. He threw it on time. He always plays with a good tempo, which is important to us and like I said before, it’s his opportunity.”

(on QB Ryan Mallett throwing the ball quickly) “Yeah, he has an understanding of coverage. He has an understanding of our offense. He knows that he can’t stand back there and hold it for very long, especially like was just brought up. This is a good defensive line. There’s going to be a lot of pressure. He knows that a lot of times the ball is going to have to come out. That’s something that he’s pretty good at.”

(on what he’s seen behind the scenes from QB Ryan Mallett that gives him confidence to make him the starter) “Look I think, and I’ll say this, I think during training camp, again another Hard Knocks episode, he overslept the practice and I think that was a wake up call for him. I think that since that time basically being demoted at that time and then missing practice, oversleeping, I think the guy has really come a long way. That’s a short period of time, but he’s put in a lot of time in the meeting room, he’s practiced well. I thought last week he had a good week of practice. Like I said all along, it’s been very close between the two of them. We have two quarterbacks. It’s Mallett’s turn now, his opportunity to go out there and play well and we’re looking forward to seeing him play well.”

(on if T Duane Brown can’t go, what will change offensively) “I don’t think it changes anything, no.”

(on how much time the offensive line needs to spend at their secondary positions in order for him to feel comfortable putting them there) “It starts all the way back in the spring. It’s the training that takes place from when OTAs start, all the way through, and then training camp, OTAs and training camp where you’re getting the bulk of your reps. Now you’re into the season, you’re not getting as many reps. You’ve got to lay a good foundation during the offseason for that, and I think we did that. Mike Devlin does a really good job of coaching all those guys on learning all five spots. Even though, like for instance Brandon Brooks, Brandon Brooks can play center. He’s played center quite a bit for us in practice. That’s something that could happen at some point in time. Obviously Jonesy (Ben Jones) can play left guard. He did that last year. There’s a lot of versatile players up front. We really like those guys as far as playing ability and their versatility and their toughness and their ability to be good teammates and play the role that we ask them to play. (Offensive Line Coach) Mike (Devlin) does a good job of coaching them.”

(on QB Ryan Mallett’s decision making) “I think he’s a decisive quarterback, I really do. I think that’s one thing, look is it always the right decision, no, but do we always make the right decisions with play calls and things like that, no. I think he’s a decisive player, and that’s what we’re asking him to do is go out there and be a decisive player. Let it rip and go play quarterback.”

(on if T Oday Aboushi will compete for the starting left guard position) “No, I think anybody that’s signed onto the 53, and I’ll say for the practice squad too, I think all those guys have a shot to compete. They go out there on the practice field, I made it clear to our football team this morning. In the last 24 hours, as an organization we made a lot of moves around here. We traded a player, made a quarterback decision, talking about a lot of competition in practice for guys as far as starters and things like that, moving guys around and asking them to do different things. That’s what this organization is about. It’s a competitive league. It’s a league about winning and these aren’t moves that are made in haste. These are moves that are made with a lot of thought and anybody that’s on that practice field has a chance to win a job and compete.”

(on if it’s hard personally to make position changes with guys he’s known for a long time) “I think if you’re true to yourself, you’re true to your players, and you’re very honest with them from the start, I think that’s important. Go out there, you’ve got to play well. If you don’t play well or we think we need to make a change based on what we see, then we’re going to make a change. I think that’s every position. I think as long as you’re honest and up front with the players, you try to make the best decisions for the group. That’s the thing as a head coach, you can’t make a decision based on a relationship with a player. You have to make a decision based on the 53-man roster and you have to make a decision based on winning. That’s what (Founder, Chairman and CEO) Mr. (Bob) McNair pays me to do and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

(on what the difference is in consistency between the two quarterbacks) “I think that when you look at training camp and you go back, I felt like it was very close. I felt like when I talked about consistency with Brian (Hoyer), I think that he was a bit more consistent, but it wasn’t like leaps and bounds more consistent than Ryan (Mallett). I felt, like I said, when Ryan went into the game on Sunday, I just have an instinctive feeling that he led the team and he was decisive in what he was doing, and we’re going to give him a shot to do it on Sunday.”

(on if he saw the same thing from QB Ryan Mallett on Sunday that he did in the two games he played last year) “Yes.”

I want to like the guy. I really do. Still, I look at him and I can't shake my angst that he hitched his wagon to Ryan Fitzpatrick, knowing good and well that a head coach's career is directly linked to who he's put under center.

I'm not saying OB can't have success in Houston, but this guy had better reevaulate himself pretty quick, or things are going to go bad for him here.

Though I'm loathe to quote myself, almost a year later the aforementioned reevaluation that I prescribed for OB, by all appearances, seems to echo into the present like a death knell.

For all of the things that endear me to OB, it is his arrogance toward the quarterback position - the most important position in the field - that is both confusing and equally appaling, in that he did not right the ship going into this year's draft, nor did they take a swing at a more attractive free agent.

Simply stated, if OB truly believes that he can make a silk purse from a swine's ear, then why not give yourself a better foundation for which to work with, rather than taking the lowest common denominator in the form of a rust belt cast off?

As we stand today, I'm not saying that OB still can't pull it off; neither am I in panic mode over Mallett's iffy play. I am, however, saying that this turnstile of QBs is squarely on OB... and though he may be (probably) hamstrung by an oafish GM, some bad luck, and perhaps a few minor slips (like elevating Godsey before he was ripe); nevertheless, the philosophy of turning **** into bullion is not something OB can easily cash in on when at the table he's only holding a pair of dueces.

The clock is ticking quicker now.

Though I'm loathe to quote myself, almost a year later the aforementioned reevaluation that I prescribed for OB, by all appearances, seems to echo into the present like a death knell.

For all of the things that endear me to OB, it is his arrogance toward the quarterback position - the most important position in the field - that is both confusing and equally appaling, in that he did not right the ship going into this year's draft, nor did they take a swing at a more attractive free agent.

Simply stated, if OB truly believes that he can make a silk purse from a swine's ear, then why not give yourself a better foundation for which to work with, rather than taking the lowest common denominator in the form of a rust belt cast off?

As we stand today, I'm not saying that OB still can't pull it off; neither am I in panic mode over Mallett's iffy play. I am, however, saying that this turnstile of QBs is squarely on OB... and though he may be (probably) hamstrung by an oafish GM, some bad luck, and perhaps a few minor slips (like elevating Godsey before he was ripe); nevertheless, the philosophy of turning **** into bullion is not something OB can easily cash in on when at the table he's only holding a pair of dueces.

Great post. Rick Smith is an abomination. We all know this. O'Brien's personnel decisions and drafts are worthy of the pink soap. He has lost me. Getting rid of AJ, Myers and signing Hoyer are firable offenses. For a an offensive guru, we are fielding the worst offense in the AFC with the worst QB play. Some supposed QB whisperer. Our coach is a fraud.

Great post. Rick Smith is an abomination. We all know this. O'Brien's personnel decisions and drafts are worthy of the pink soap. He has lost me. Getting rid of AJ, Myers and signing Hoyer are firable offenses. For a an offensive guru, we are fielding the worst offense in the AFC with the worst QB play. Some supposed QB whisperer. Our coach is a fraud.

Our last coach was the QB whisperer .... He got lots of mileage out of an un-athletic noodle armed stiff & a playoff W from a 5th round scrub.

History is repeating itself with another Belichick assistant.

Belichick assistants have proven that when they leave the nest they've a very high degree and percentage of failure.

All those assistants failed on their first job after leaving the Patriots. This is O'Briens second job since leaving and he had success at Penn State.

At least get all the details correct please

I just wonder how complicated his system is. I mean we have cast off ex-patriot QBs that you'd think should grasp this system really quickly given the time they have backed up Brady. We arent talking about rookies here. All we heard was how O'brien wants to run it fast..

Makes me wonder (if we were to draft a rookie) how long would it take a him to run the offense up to Bill's liking? Another random thought...Does Bill know how to "dumb" it down to give the offense players time to get their reads right and get into synch and grow into a faster pace?

Oh and uh, what exactly is that truth again?
Texian has been right about this joke of a franchise for years. You and others like you have been giving him **** because he has spoken the inconvenient truth that sunshine pumpers don't want to hear. I value the truth and that is why Texian is my favorite poster here.

I just wonder how complicated his system is. I mean we have cast off ex-patriot QBs that you'd think should grasp this system really quickly given the time they have backed up Brady. We arent talking about rookies here. All we heard was how O'brien wants to run it fast..

Makes me wonder (if we were to draft a rookie) how long would it take a him to run the offense up to Bill's liking? Another random thought...Does Bill know how to "dumb" it down to give the offense players time to get their reads right and get into synch and grow into a faster pace?

If he drafted a guy to be the guy, he'd operate the offense much differently. Everything will be designed to help that rookie succeed. We could have been down by three scores in either game & still would have run the ball a lot more than we did. Even with 1.9 yard averages.

OB is expecting his QBs to step up, get up to speed & stop holding this team back. I agree with him. These aren't rookies & our QB needs to step up his game. I think Mallett will.

Our last coach was the QB whisperer .... He got lots of mileage out of an un-athletic noodle armed stiff & a playoff W from a 5th round scrub.

But Kubiak couldn't win a game with Case Keenum after eight tries. O'Brien won two games with the same player. There is a straight up comparison with the same QB for each coach.

I'm not happy about our QB situation, but let's not modify history for the agenda. I do give Kubiak credit for finding his QB early and making a deal to get him. Too bad he never could find a good DC during Schaub's best years.

But Kubiak couldn't win a game with Case Keenum after eight tries. O'Brien won two games with the same player. There is a straight up comparison with the same QB for each coach.

I'm not happy about our QB situation, but let's not modify history for the agenda. I do give Kubiak credit for finding his QB early and making a deal to get him. Too bad he never could find a good DC during Schaub's best years.

I think the QB guru believes he can take an average Joe and make him Joe Montana . Hence the QB is not drafted early and you get Hannah Montana .

Back