Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans don’t plan to hire a G.M. in 2020

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Yeah , I think so too …. I didn't think he was gonna command DE money.
DT money is quite a bit less. Hell I was thinking he might get $8m or so with that being pretty fair for both sides and they are talking double that with the franchise tag.
This is "DT money":

Falcons’ Grady Jarrett ($68 million, $17 million per year)
Bengals’ Geno Atkins ($65 million, $16.3 million per year)
Titans’ Jurrell Casey ($60.5 million, $15.1 million per year).

badboy

Hall of Fame
I still believe Reader signs long term reasonable contract.
Hope you're correct but as season progressed & then Mercilus extended, my view changed. I would not pay him over $8 m and definitely no tag unless they can somehow play it for some picks and if none remove the tag. I like him but think Blackson can be the guy and want to see Vanderdoes. People need to remember DJ played away from the Nose while Dunn and V was Nose. I think he will get at least two offers of $10 +.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I still believe Reader signs long term reasonable contract.

What do you consider "reasonable."

I don't know what to expect of this front office by committee …. We really have nothing to base an opinion off of.
Reader has earned a hefty payday , he's been the one piece that's held the front end of this defense together most of the season. I'd hate to see him leave but ….

They will have quite a few FA's to deal with aside from what they do with Watson and Tunsil.

Roby , Miller , JJo , Hyde , Dunn , Fairbairn , McCarron , Fells , Addae , Weeks , Clark , R.Johnson , Cole.

Only $60m in projected cap space , no picks in the top 2 rounds ….

They are gonna have some tough decisions to make.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

I don't know what to expect of this front office by committee …. We really have nothing to base an opinion off of.
Reader has earned a hefty payday , he's been the one piece that's held the front end of this defense together most of the season. I'd hate to see him leave but ….

They will have quite a few FA's to deal with aside from what they do with Watson and Tunsil.

Roby , Miller , JJo , Hyde , Dunn , Fairbairn , McCarron , Fells , Addae , Weeks , Clark , R.Johnson , Cole.

Your last sentence sums up the situation. I'm not sure that Miller, JJo or Clark are going to be a consideration to stay if not for on the cheap. I feel that we will see creative pay negotiations/renegotiations (including large signing bonuses that can be prorated over 5 years) and potential pay and trade deals, while the Draft produces some surprising results in the later rounds. As far as Reader, he has shown only 1 very good season and may be convinced to re-sign for a nice signing bonus and $10-11 million salary figure.

Again, you are correct that tough decisions are there to be made.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone

Great overview. Jjo should coach, Roby come back, Miller and Clark walk (Tytus back), Dunn Fairbairn, McCarron, Fells, Addae, Weeks, R JOhnson and Cole should be a reasonable deal and worth coming back. I like Docs view on Reader's deal. Remind him there is not always a LPC type fun on every team. The big elephant is whether DW4 breaks the bank or holds a little back to help build a better team. Your life and family's life is not different at $30 vs $35m per year is no different. I like Hyde, but really depends on what he wants. He may just want a freaking home by now

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Great overview. Jjo should coach, Roby come back, Miller and Clark walk (Tytus back), Dunn Fairbairn, McCarron, Fells, Addae, Weeks, R JOhnson and Cole should be a reasonable deal and worth coming back. I like Docs view on Reader's deal. Remind him there is not always a LPC type fun on every team. The big elephant is whether DW4 breaks the bank or holds a little back to help build a better team. Your life and family's life is not different at $30 vs $35m per year is no different. I like Hyde, but really depends on what he wants. He may just want a freaking home by now
I hope DW takes a look at what Brady did. Brady took less to make the team better to maintain their competitiveness.

That extra 5 million could mean keeping a player to help win a Super Bowl to get more marketing/advertising deals to make up for it.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

I didn’t see Tunsil in either of your posts. Shouldn’t he be there?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I hope DW takes a look at what Brady did. Brady took less to make the team better to maintain their competitiveness.

That extra 5 million could mean keeping a player to help win a Super Bowl to get more marketing/advertising deals to make up for it.
Just look at Aaron Rodgers and the Packers and how much money he commands off of their salary cap. Hard to build a team when $35 Mill is gone. Deshaun is really young and will want to get his money I'm sure. QB's usually give the discounts later in their career when they've already secured their fortune.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Just look at Aaron Rodgers and the Packers and how much money he commands off of their salary cap. Hard to build a team when $35 Mill is gone. Deshaun is really young and will want to get his money I'm sure. QB's usually give the discounts later in their career when they've already secured their fortune.
Corrosion mentioned him
First post - good example.

Second post- reading is hard.

badboy

Hall of Fame
helpful that Dylan Cole is restricted free agent at 26 yoa.

Lamar Miller injury history prior to August 2019 ACL: https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/lamar-miller/5107
will be 29 April 25, 2020. 2018: 210 for 973 @ 4.6 5 TDs and 25 for 163 @6.5 and 1 TD

Not bringing back Fuller or Hargreaves adds $20 million to cap. Kelemete $3.25 m; Scarlett $1.9 m.

I don't see Roby back as he will go elsewhere but he hasn't had a great year IMO. He broke up 8 passes with 2 of those vs Bills. I think opponents were testing our new guys (Lonnie Johnson, Conley and Hargreaves) rather than a solid vet & Conley held up. Roby did increase his PFF from 62% to 67 with last game but is that worth a huge contract for us? He did have two INTs this year but missed two last weekend.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL Head Coaching Shuffle Gives the Texans Another Chance to Land Nick Caserio

Patrick D. Starr
2 hours ago

The head coaching dominoes have fallen across the NFL. With the recent hire of Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski as the Cleveland Browns head coach, the Houston Texans now are in a spot to continue their pursuit of New England Patriots Nick Caserio.
Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels interviewed with the Browns, leaving some guessing that he could bring Caserio with him to Cleveland to be his general manager. Now, with the Browns passing on McDaniels and him set to return to the Patriots. It leaves Caserio with a reported expiring contract after the NFL Draft that will leave him looking for a new position in the NFL if he can not come to a deal with the Patriots.

It has documented that the Texans pursued Caserio after the organization dismissed former general manager Brian Gaine before the start of the season. After requesting an interview with Caserio, that never came after the Patriots quickly filed tampering charges on the Texans.

After a stalemate, both teams opted to back off from the situation with the Texans stopped the pursuit of Caserio while the Patriots would, in turn, drop the tampering charges. The Texans opted not to hire a general manager and go with a group to run the organization throughout the season.
Reports have pointed to the Texans to attempting to make another run at Caserio during the off-season with good friends in O'Brien and EVP of Team Development Jack Easterby inside the building. The Texans remain a destination that could match what Caserio wants in an organization.
The failed attempt of landing Caserio could come to fruition once again in the off-season with the recent developments of coaching shuffle in the NFL.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I could be totally out of my mind but for some reason I'm feeling Caserio will end up here in some President or VP role and can't shake the feeling they will bring in Josh McDaniels as HC.
Yeah I know, it sounds nuts but I just keep getting that feeling.
My fear.....the Texans will not quit trying to find a way to become NE South. If OB was the first big step, I ain't so jacked after 6 seasons......anybody else excited about his 6 year tenure?

Bringing in Caserio and McDaniels would just continue this mess of mimicking the Patriots while yielding zero Patriots success. When will the Texans decide that their best chance of success will only become a reality when they decide to prioritize establishing their own image.

I can't imagine OB getting his arse kicked to the street so I'm only left to think of a dream scenario. See, my dream scenario would involve Cal hiring Bill Polian for a couple of seasons to be his NFL mentor and mentor to those hired by the Texans. Essentially teaching them the ways of building a winner and winning. Next, I've wanted a young, up and coming GM that could grow with the Texans while being guided for a couple of seasons. So I'd hire Eliot Wolf to handle the job of GM. He's got a solid eye for talent and he's been mentored by his own Dad, who wasn't to shabby as the Packers GM. Next, I'd like to bring Dabo Sweeney to the Texans as the next HC. To say this guy is a talented HC would be an under statement. I think his way of coaching translates well to the NFL.....as will his offensive and defensive schemes. All it takes is a checkbook (check), a pen with ink (check) and a owner who'd be willing to step aside for a couple of seasons and let a HoF GM come in and show him the ropes.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I could be totally out of my mind but for some reason I'm feeling Caserio will end up here in some President or VP role and can't shake the feeling they will bring in Josh McDaniels as HC.
Yeah I know, it sounds nuts but I just keep getting that feeling.
Would McDaniels & O'Brien accept McDaniel's being the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator?