Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Defense is terrible. Absolutely terrible!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You are making two different arguments. One argument of the Texans screwing up is very much true because while I wasn't sorry to see him leave anytime you have to pay a player to play for another team you've made a bad deal. As to the other argument on his performance there was nothing he did in 2019, or really before that, which impressed teams as clear by the fact that he almost went into the season unsigned.
Go to ProfootballReference.com
They now have a section called Advanced stats.

Look at the stats for the entire Texans D last year and this year.
Then do the same for the Seahawks and the Titans.
You will see PD, FF, FR, QB hurries, QB Hits, sacks, TFLs.

There wasn't a single Texans D player that had/has the same effect as him; not to mention that JD has always been known as a stout run defender who can set the edge (which is also important against mobile QBs).

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You are making two different arguments. One argument of the Texans screwing up is very much true because while I wasn't sorry to see him leave anytime you have to pay a player to play for another team you've made a bad deal. As to the other argument on his performance there was nothing he did in 2019, or really before that, which impressed teams as clear by the fact that he almost went into the season unsigned.
Teams were interested in him.
Clowney wanted both the money and the opportunity to play for a contender.
He chose Vrabel likely because he knows exactly what is expected of him.

And don't forget this is also Covid-cap space-influenced time.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This variable is much too often overlooked when I see people tossing around the idea of comp picks.
Normally I would agree with you.
But if the new FO's strategy is to accumulate picks (ie., full rebuilding mode), they will just look for guys on veteran minimum.

Normally I would agree with you.
But if the new FO's strategy is to accumulate picks (ie., full rebuilding mode), they will just look for guys on veteran minimum.
True, and I understand that while this takes shape the competitiveness of the team could be less than ideal. Vet minimums are often players with some sort of baggage (past prime, injury, under performers or rule breakers). IMO, the decison on the next regime will be more critical than any other point in team history.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
And don't forget this is also Covid-cap space-influenced time.
This shouldn't be overlooked especially in a time when we are overhauling coaches and other staff. It may not be obvious on the cap and players ,but will it be in the money we pay for everything else? Will we settle for 3rd and 4th best assistant coaches instead of the best?

This franchise has surely taken a revenue hit like most businesses and i want to see what they do.

Prove it Cal.

badboy

Hall of Fame
That trade is a steal for the Ravens, if they lose him end of the year they likely recoup a 3rd as compensation. If they choose to tie him up he's a cornerstone of their D for years.
Watt is not free agent this year. He's under contract through 2021.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
This variable is much too often overlooked when I see people tossing around the idea of comp picks.

Yeah ... thats for sure.

Do you anticipate a revealing of who Mother Goose is anytime soon?
Negative.

Really , I'd love to do it .... but I don't want to burn my sources and I take enough heat for my positions as it is , no need to add gasoline to an inferno.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This shouldn't be overlooked especially in a time when we are overhauling coaches and other staff. It may not be obvious on the cap and players ,but will it be in the money we pay for everything else? Will we settle for 3rd and 4th best assistant coaches instead of the best?

This franchise has surely taken a revenue hit like most businesses and i want to see what they do.

Prove it Cal.
They always hire asst coaches on the cheap. They did pay RAC, but offset the with hiring 2 cheap rookie coordinators.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Can't stop the run. Time to shift to a 4-3.
How does the personnel look in 4-3? Does Cunningham make a decent OLB, can Mercilus drop down to DE. Does Omenihu look good as a DE? Late career Watt playing disciplined as a DT?

I’m intrigued as to how it effects the current personnel and if it allows us to get more out of what we already have.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
How does the personnel look in 4-3? Does Cunningham make a decent OLB, can Mercilus drop down to DE. Does Omenihu look good as a DE? Late career Watt playing disciplined as a DT?

I’m intrigued as to how it effects the current personnel and if it allows us to get more out of what we already have.
Have to guard a and b gaps at least early in the game until we get a lead.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I really don't know what this means. Hopkins was sleeping with or insulted someone's mom? I don't get it.
Probably he was hoeing around and had too many baby mommas, but that somehow affected his performance here? :thinking:

It’s still the most stupidest trade in NFL history. Thanks Cal.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I wish we could delete the entire defense, but sadly not an option - excellent idea though.
I was actually thinking how reminiscent watching Weaver’s D is to back when Weaver was actually playing D for us, under I think Richard Smith, just crap at every level so that teams can pile on you any which way they want.

Was also wondering why we are seemingly playing 3 safeties on 90% of snaps whilst somehow having no safety help anywhere at the same time.

But it’s all just pissing in the wind RAC’s D looked exploited 3 years ago when he managed to make Matheiu look like a chump, and they’ve let talent walk consistently, then hired a rookie DC with RAC hovering over his shoulder. Whole thing needs blowing up.

Even Justin Reid is playing like crap this year.

mws

Rookie
The destruction Billy O (& Easterby) did while in control of this team's roster is unbelievable. It really is amazing how much damage a couple of idiots can do in just two years.

My only hope is that this sh**show will be enough to get Easterby out of the building.

The destruction Billy O (& Easterby) did while in control of this team's roster is unbelievable. It really is amazing how much damage a couple of idiots can do in just two years.

My only hope is that this sh**show will be enough to get Easterby out of the building.
Just to fortify what you and others (myself included) think:

Texansballer74

The Marine

mws

Rookie
Just to fortify what you and others (myself included) think:

Lance said it a hell of lot better than I did. Oh well I guess that's why I'm on a forum & he's on the radio.

"Having a guy who has no idea how to run the personnel side handle roster building, free agency and contracts for even two years can do incredible damage to a team’s ability to even be competitive. The damage O'Brien and Easterby did with their moves is absolutely staggering." --Lance Zierlein

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This also should bring home one player can not save this turd show. Expecting one particular player to be great while the others around him are not so good, Is asinine to the thousand power. All of these players need to play at a higher level to overcome the madness that was left behind.
Excuses are running rampant today and I dont think DW4 played below avg.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
In honor of the Texans defense today, I have prepared a meal commensurate with their efforts. Ground turkey patties, unseasoned corn out of the can, and I’m washing it all down with Golden Peak Diet Sugar Free Tea. Yum!
I've opened MRE's that are better than that. LOL

Although I shouldn't be talking, I had frozen fish patties for lunch. But the Thai chili sauce made them almost edible. Almost. Man I miss Pappadeaux's fried seafood platter.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I've opened MRE's that are better than that. LOL

Although I shouldn't be talking, I had frozen fish patties for lunch. But the Thai chili sauce made them almost edible. Almost. Man I miss Pappadeaux's fried seafood platter.
I miss their blackened catfish pontchartrain. That sauce...

I’m so hungry. But I gained too much weight after my surgery in June eating sympathy chocolate. That’s the most fattening chocolates of them all.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man

I’m so hungry. But I gained too much weight after my surgery in June eating sympathy chocolate. That’s the most fattening chocolates of them all.
Before all this covid crap I'd be going to Pappadeaux's once a month or so, I love their version of fried seafood. Their blackened mahi-mahi is also very good.

They already fired the HC and GM and the rest will be gone just as soon as the new guy brings in his own staff, not sure what other "wholesale changes" they can make. I mean they still have games to play and someone has to be in the seat this season. Call me a cynic but are we actually trying to talk about what we can do to improve and start winning this season? Or even over the next 2-3 seasons? We are a team with a, shall we say, limited talent pool particularly on defense, no cap space, no first round pick next year, no HC, no GM, the oldest temp HC in NFL history, first time OC and DC that know they are just padding their resume for their next job, one of the worst line coaches I've ever seen and a QB that over the last 3 years has seen more sacks than a bagger at Wal-Mart.

Hate to break it to you boys but we are in full rebuild mode and we haven't even hired the people that are going to do that rebuild. At this point best thing to do is sit back and enjoy the ride because best we can hope for is to screw over the fins. Luckily it seems several teams will help us do that as they suck possibly even worse than us and, in the case of the Jets, seem to be tanking. Fact is we are most likely either going to have to cut players and eat the cap hit or just ride their contracts out because the people we have there is not a one, except maybe Watson, that anyone would point to and say "There, thats the guy we need to take us to the next level". Oh I'm sure lots of teams would love to have Watt or maybe even Fuller but its like Clowney, love to have him but not enough to pony up the cash.
The fan in me can't wait. I realize now is not the time to turn over the roster.

Good post mav.

Last edited:
They already fired the HC and GM and the rest will be gone just as soon as the new guy brings in his own staff, not sure what other "wholesale changes" they can make. I mean they still have games to play and someone has to be in the seat this season. Call me a cynic but are we actually trying to talk about what we can do to improve and start winning this season? Or even over the next 2-3 seasons? We are a team with a, shall we say, limited talent pool particularly on defense, no cap space, no first round pick next year, no HC, no GM, the oldest temp HC in NFL history, first time OC and DC that know they are just padding their resume for their next job, one of the worst line coaches I've ever seen and a QB that over the last 3 years has seen more sacks than a bagger at Wal-Mart.

Hate to break it to you boys but we are in full rebuild mode and we haven't even hired the people that are going to do that rebuild. At this point best thing to do is sit back and enjoy the ride because best we can hope for is to screw over the fins. Luckily it seems several teams will help us do that as they suck possibly even worse than us and, in the case of the Jets, seem to be tanking. Fact is we are most likely either going to have to cut players and eat the cap hit or just ride their contracts out because the people we have there is not a one, except maybe Watson, that anyone would point to and say "There, thats the guy we need to take us to the next level". Oh I'm sure lots of teams would love to have Watt or maybe even Fuller but its like Clowney, love to have him but not enough to pony up the cash.
You are right in everything you said. I was just giving a knee jerk reaction as a fan but I realize patience is a virtue. However I would hate to end up having to be as patient as teams like the Bills, Browns, Lions, Dolphins, Jets, etcetera....etcetera. Those fans have had to endure sucksville for way too long.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Agreed,

But somebody did make a trade for Clowney.

You think the Brown's wouldn't trade for WFV now that they lost OBJ? I mean Gaine traded a 4th for an old D. Thomas in the last year of his contract.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's possible that the guys on defense I wanted gone yesterday just don't fit the scheme/design and the new coaching staff will be able to coax as much potential out of these guys as humanly possible. I'm just not hopeful that this is true. Mercilus has always been the guy that vanishes for long periods of time. He's barely showing up on that stat sheets this year. Cunningham has always been a shoulder tackler. McKinney has always been a one dimensional linebacker in a game that has evolved the TE position. Eric Murray is a $20 million JAG that couldn't stick with last years terrible Browns team. Every CB not named Roby are fringe practice squad players.
True, Mercilus and Murray are going to be here next year most likely. Mckinney likely is going to be cut.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Man I miss Pappadeaux's fried seafood platter
Their blackened mahi-mahi is also very good.
Man, all the blackened fish there is great. My wife gets the salmon with the alexander sauce. But since the Rona came around, they have cut the menu down and that salmon isn't there anymore. Ol lady not so happy now.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watching this secondary still makes me wonder why did O'Brien release Tashuan Gipson. I know the Bears have an outstanding front seven, but he has 4 PD and 2 INT. That would probably lead the Texans' secondary.
I think if he didn't get hurt he'd still be here. As it were, O'Brien decided not to wait & see. We moved on & overpaid two other guys who weren't very good.

Last edited: