Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans "Culture"

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From the article:
“From the coaching staff to the roster, the Texans have been rebuilt in the image of the FCA, Jack Easterby, and Nick Caserio.”

FCA is Fellowship of Christian Athletes
In the image of the FCA does not mean Lovie is a member of the FCA

& when he writes stuff like

After that, he ran away to the University of Illinois.
He's pretty much telling you not to take his work seriously

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Lol you and Tex do a great job of missing the point entirely
What's the point? To me it seems like just because public enemy #1 happens to speak openly about his faith, many of us are overselling the religious demands of the Houston Texans.

I dropped my season tickets two seasons ago, so I don't know. But until then I don't ever recall the Texans leading a prayer meeting after the game. I'd see the visiting do it many times.

Religion is a big part of many player's lives & a big part of many NFL teams. The Texans are no different. That's my point

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

There was a lot of talk back when the staff was hired about most of them being members of the FCA and of Caserio signing a lot of the players who were also members of the FCA. And it was befuddling that Watson pulled his crap because he's also a member of the FCA

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Look, ok maybe he’s not card carrying and I could give two shits if LS is an actual member I’m just telling you there is a connection with Lovie also. I just want good coaching and players busting their ass and winning games. @powda is right, this **** has gone off the rails.

“Tony Dungy and Love Smith were the first African American coaches to lead their teams to the Super Bowl. Even before Dungy's Colts prevailed over Smith's Bears 29-17 in Super Bowl XLI, we knew that there was a connection between these two men beyond the color of their skin. "I'm proud to be the first African American coach to win this," Dungy said during the trophy ceremony. "But again, more than anything, Lovie Smith and I are not only African-American but also Christian coaches, showing you can do it the Lord's way. We're more proud of that."

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Bro I remember when I played football we always prayed after practice and after each game. They still do that on every level. So again like I said to old buddy, I do not see a problem with it.
I grew up in Alief, went to Boone elementary. Played soccer at the high school field across from Boone and we always prayed before and after. I would always raise my head and look at everyone with their heads down. I had ADHD. I just recall wondering why this was necessary when we’re just playing a game. I was around 7 at the time

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I grew up in Alief, went to Boone elementary. Played soccer at the high school field across from Boone and we always prayed before and after. I would always raise my head and look at everyone with their heads down. I had ADHD. I just recall wondering why this was necessary when we’re just playing a game. I was around 7 at the time
I grew up in Alief too.

Had a teammate in High school that would do the same. He didn’t believe in god so he didn’t pray and just looked at everyone else.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I grew up in Alief too.

Had a teammate in High school that would do the same. He didn’t believe in god so he didn’t pray and just looked at everyone else.
I played at a Catholic school. Prayed at least 3 times a game. Before, half and after and probably some other time I am forgetting. Even the religious types thought we "prayed too much."

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Jaleel Cook would disagree with you. So would Swearingen.

Gipson and Hopkins/Clowney would like to talk to you about why they were traded.

Fact is the Texans started throwing $$$$ around to their own guys after BOB took over the GM job. Before that, not so much. The Texans dont add top tier FA's because those guys cost to $$$$ and the Texans have never really spent $$$$ on those type guys. Not saying right now is the time to be spending top $$$$ in the FA market. That time will come in a couple of yrs. Will the McNair's step up to the plate and spend the $$$$ to add a premium FA or 2? History says they wont.
Gipson was cut because he was injured and then they signed Eric Murray for 2 million less.

Clowney was cut because he wanted elite level pay when he hadn’t shown elite level play. Unless you think all the other teams that didn’t sign him also care mostly about his moral character.

You yourself have talked about Hopkins being cut because of his influence on Watson.

Steel you have carried this “not Texans worthy” line as if it was the McNairs that said when I myself have pointed out to you multiple times that it was not any of the McNairs.

Last edited:

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I think some of you forget that football players tend to be religious because they play a game that could end their life or their career on any given Sunday (or at practice). Don’t know if any of y’all have ever had a job that’s extremely dangerous, but you probably would want to be on good terms with the Man Upstairs. I don’t expect some of you to understand this.

We as football fans have all kinds of opinions relating to the Texans org and are entitled to as such (opinions). Sometimes I think we make it to complicated but it's always interesting to see similar and opposing views. But IMO it's basic: The McNairs want to continue making money first and foremost and you do not have to make it to nor win the SB to do that in the NFL. They have a vision for their franchise and try to employ personnel to carry out that vision and we (fans) may not understand nor like it. I don't like JE's presence because he's been part of bad decisions as it relates to contracts not his religious activities. I would be willing to bet that there are more players that find him beneficial than those who don't. But SteelB has it right when he states JE is doing the job the McNairs brought him in to do. The "right way" and "culture" always come down to morals and beliefs and it's part of everything in life. If Janice is more religiously rooted than Bob was then you can probably see some shifting. In the workplace you want to be fair above all else but understand that you will get it wrong sometimes and you learn (acknowledge and correct) from it and move on. I don't believe religion nor culture has held this team back, to me it's been bad player development, bad coaching, bad talent evaluation and contract mismanagement.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We as football fans have all kinds of opinions relating to the Texans org and are entitled to as such (opinions). Sometimes I think we make it to complicated but it's always interesting to see similar and opposing views. But IMO it's basic: The McNairs want to continue making money first and foremost and you do not have to make it to nor win the SB to do that in the NFL. They have a vision for their franchise and try to employ personnel to carry out that vision and we (fans) may not understand nor like it. I don't like JE's presence because he's been part of bad decisions as it relates to contracts not his religious activities. I would be willing to bet that there are more players that find him beneficial than those who don't. But SteelB has it right when he states JE is doing the job the McNairs brought him in to do. The "right way" and "culture" always come down to morals and beliefs and it's part of everything in life. If Janice is more religiously rooted than Bob was then you can probably see some shifting. In the workplace you want to be fair above all else but understand that you will get it wrong sometimes and you learn (acknowledge and correct) from it and move on. I don't believe religion nor culture has held this team back, to me it's been bad player development, bad coaching, bad talent evaluation and contract mismanagement.
It's also because they didn't even have talented guys like Hill/Kelce/Justin Houston on their draft boards. Which would be fine if the Texans didn't have to face these guys. These kinds of decisions are what leads to 51-7.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why do you think the pastor was hired?
He was hired specificially to have access to Nick Caserio. That's why they got caught tampering instead of doing it the HONEST (i.e. right way).

Is there really any wonder why folks don't trust a self-professed religious man that is consistently dishonest?

It's not that hard to understand. We don't need to complicate it. Easterby loves power. Many that know him have said it.

Texans don't have a culture. They've tried borrowing a few from other teams, but they don't have one of their own.
Culture this, culture that. The only culture that matters in the NFL is WINNING CULTURE. And the only ingredient that really matter is, y'know, winning games.

And leave it to the Houston Texans with their ass-backwards ways to believe a board room can dictate "culture" from the top down by hiring a clearly unqualified person for Executive Vice President of FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, and then put this garbage on their website (they are telegraphing their agenda here):

"Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization."

Not the head coach dictating culture, but some two-bit snake oil salesman pastor whose big hero (by his own admission) is Joel Osteen, a pastor that refused to open his mega-church building to desperate people during an unprecedented and dangerous disaster.

This is a guy that has never had any experience running football operations for any team, much less a multi-billion dollar NFL franchise. A guy that lied on his resume. A guy that lied to Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick when he tried to cheat the system. A guy that was the primary advocate for giving away one of the best players in this franchise's history for a historically crappy trade because he would not conform.

So yeah, y'all are free to believe this utter B.S. all you want. It's no sweat off my back. But I've known con artists, my family has been ripped off by some good ones over the years, too, and I've grown up around bullshitters, and every sense in me is tingling about this dude. I refuse to be naive but I'm not going to argue with people about an entertainment company. It's not worth is, and Easterby is not worth it. I'll still be a fan long after that jackass is gone.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Culture this, culture that. The only culture that matters in the NFL is WINNING CULTURE. And the only ingredient that really matter is, y'know, winning games.
If Watson was your best chance to win football games would you start him representing your football team?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He was hired specificially to have access to Nick Caserio. That's why they got caught tampering instead of doing it the HONEST (i.e. right way).

Is there really any wonder why folks don't trust a self-professed religious man that is consistently dishonest?

It's not that hard to understand. We don't need to complicate it. Easterby loves power. Many that know him have said it.

And leave it to the Houston Texans with their ass-backwards ways to believe a board room can dictate "culture" from the top down by hiring a clearly unqualified person for Executive Vice President of FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, and then put this garbage on their website (they are telegraphing their agenda here):

"Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization."

Not the head coach dictating culture, but some two-bit snake oil salesman pastor whose big hero (by his own admission) is Joel Osteen, a pastor that refused to open his mega-church building to desperate people during an unprecedented and dangerous disaster.

This is a guy that has never had any experience running football operations for any team, much less a multi-billion dollar NFL franchise. A guy that lied on his resume. A guy that lied to Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick when he tried to cheat the system. A guy that was the primary advocate for giving away one of the best players in this franchise's history for a historically crappy trade because he would not conform.

So yeah, y'all are free to believe this utter B.S. all you want. It's no sweat off my back. But I've known con artists, my family has been ripped off by some good ones over the years, too, and I've grown up around bullshitters, and every sense in me is tingling about this dude. I refuse to be naive but I'm not going to argue with people about an entertainment company. It's not worth is, and Easterby is not worth it. I'll still be a fan long after that jackass is gone.
Cal's a liar? Yet he runs a religious cult?

Somebody has been bitten in the past and is still bitter. I lol but I certainly can understand where you're coming from. I've had similar experiences.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Gotta tell you DoubleB you are starting to sound about Easterby the way @steelbtexan does about Rick Smith. :kitten:

H_Town_Gaucho

Waterboy
The Texans do need an identity. Bum Phillips was the last one that brought that kind of thing to Houston in my opinion in the Luv Ya Blue days with the Oilers. Maybe the Texans need to go to that Dutton Ranch and find the toughest cowboy bronc buster/cowboy a la the Rip Wheeler character on Yellowstone and model an identity that is tough and professional with a little bit meaness on the side.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I am just reading through this thread. This religious stuff is ridiculous and I'm assuming that it's true. It sounds like this team is owned by Joel Olsteen. Actually, I take that back. Olsteen would probably be a better owner. He seems more of a motivational speaker than anything else and he seems to have the drive for success. He would probably put winning above everything else.

I am a religious person and a business owner. I would never not hire someone because they have a different belief system or force my beliefs on any employee in our work place. That's not even a consideration. Even if I had several employees of my same faith we would NEVER have organized meetings in the workplace just for us to discuss religious matters. We already have organized meetings OUTSIDE of work for that. The workplace is NOT the place for that. I have always felt the same about public schools. There's nothing stopping a kid from praying in school. They can discreetly talk to God in silence anytime they want (the same is true in the workplace) However, organized religious activities belong in places of worship, NOT workplaces and schools (unless it's a private religious school where the kids are going there for that reason).

As far as just drafting or signing players with "high character", from what I am reading here it sounds to me that their definition of "high character" is someone that is a evangelical Christian or open to such. Is that true?

If so, good luck succeeding with that. "High character" should mean isn't a criminal or a trouble maker. Someone dedicated to their craft and not lazy. That's what I would label as high character in sports. Most teams don't even go that far. Look no further than what just went down here with AB. I'm not sure the SB would have been won last year without that clown, and he showed his true colors again this year. Was it worth it? Ask any Bucs fan, YES it was. No one here is feeling guilty about winning the SB last year with AB on the team.

BTW, I am not advocating signing guys like AB, however it's going to be impossible to have a championship team with everyone on the roster being "high character". Those guys are your team leaders, etc.

I think the only real answer in Houston is Cal selling the team. Sadly that rarely happens.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I am a religious person and a business owner. I would never not hire someone because they have a different belief system or force my beliefs on any employee in our work place. That's not even a consideration.
I believe the McNairs run this thing concerning this topic the same way you run your business. The idea they do it differently is ridiculous

banned1976

sleeper mode
The thing is this is not actually true because star players were not walking away after their contracts were up. If they’re saying Watt, then that’s false because we all know he wasn’t a superstar anymore. Hopkins was traded. Watson signed his new contract but reneged because of his off the field issues coming to the light. Therefore, what Superstar player is he talking about.
This is the part I agree with (I didn't clarify in my original post) -

"There’s got to be some unspoken elements within that organization that makes players question the leadership above the coaching staff".

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rick Smith was way better at his job and we didn’t have all of this bull crap going on either.
Better but still far from way good enough. The reason we as fan's are having to go through this is directly related to RS. It will take atleast 2+3 years to recover from his decision to draft Derrick. The stench of the RS era still casts a pall over the Texans org.. There's a reason he can't find a job in the NFL or on tv for that matter.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Better but still far from way good enough. The reason we as Dan's are having to go through this is directly related to RS. It will take atleast 2+3 years to recover from his decision to draft Derrick. The stench of the RS era still casts a pall over the Texans org.. There's a reason he can't find a job in the NFL or on tv for that matter.
Too funny. For 2+3 years now, you have been saying RS cost the Texans 2-3 years of recovery. The Ricky statute of limitations has expired. Last time I checked, RS didn't give Watson $160 million and the NTC. It's always funny that you bypass BOB contributions to this mess and continue blaming RS. If Watson doesn't go to jail and the Texans receive a draft haul to rebuild the team, you will still blame Ricky for Caserio's blown picks.

When are they going to recover? Based on your moving Ricky time frame. A three-toed sloth has been able to climb Mount Everest faster than the Texans have been able to recover from Ricky.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is the part I agree with (I didn't clarify in my original post) -

"There’s got to be some unspoken elements within that organization that makes players question the leadership above the coaching staff".
And Caserio is in the process of weeding those guys out and adding star level players through the draft. If he's successful and particularly if he hits on Mills then you start to worry about this kind of stuff.

The fa's will come in fa if the star level players are added.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Too funny. For 2+3 years now, you have been saying RS cost the Texans 2-3 years of recovery. The Ricky statute of limitations has expired. Last time I checked, RS didn't give Watson $160 million and the NTC. It's always funny that you bypass BOB contributions to this mess and continue blaming RS. If Watson doesn't go to jail and the Texans receive a draft haul to rebuild the team, you will still blame Ricky for Caserio's blown picks.

When are they going to recover? Based on your moving Ricky time frame. A three-toed sloth has been able to climb Mount Everest faster than the Texans have been able to recover from Ricky.
Tell me when Derrick's going to be traded and I can give you an answer.

RS drafting of Derrick IS the reason the Texans o g is where it is today. (In limbo)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Tell me when Derrick's going to be traded and I can give you an answer.

RS drafting of Derrick IS the reason the Texans o g is where it is today. (In limbo)
What's not true about my post? Is the Texans org not in limbo? Are you living in denial?

Gotta finish taking out RS trash and yes, Cal made it worse by extending Derrick. Imagine if Cal had let Derrick play out his 5th year option like some of us wanted.

Cal's paying millions for that decision. Maybe someday Cal will learn.

BigBen

Practice Squad
Whatever anyone thinks about what their motives are you cannot use the excuse that they didn't have issues in New England. Cassario was not the GM and Easterby is way up in the food chain compared to being the Patriot team chaplan / culture expert? Don't forget..Aaron Hernandez was on that team..and many more. Jack was a nobody in New England.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Whatever anyone thinks about what their motives are you cannot use the excuse that they didn't have issues in New England. Cassario was not the GM and Easterby is way up in the food chain compared to being the Patriot team chaplan / culture expert? Don't forget..Aaron Hernandez was on that team..and many more. Jack was a nobody in New England.
Considering, I think they did better in 2021 than I thought they would. So far, looks like we’re headed in the right direction

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They’re in a limb because Cal McNair lost complete control of this team. Starting with giving OB all that power and bringing a joker who didn’t have any experience but being a pastor.
Or because a guy they gave a max contract turned out at best to be a Sexual Predator and at worst a Sexual Assaulter. (Allegedly)

But when you get right down to it the man that brought Derrick here is at fault. Because if Derrick was never brought to Kirby to begin with this franchise wouldn't be in the shape it's in today. Looking at paying 45 mil in cap space to a guy with one foot in the jailhouse.

You can try to blame BOB all you want and I'm sure i will agree with some of what you type out. But make no mistake the man who brought this immoral piece of crap to Kirby has done more damage to this franchise than BOB could ever dream of doing.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Or because a guy they gave a max contract turned out at best to be a Sexual Predator and at worst a Sexual Assaulter. (Allegedly)

But when you get right down to it the man that brought Derrick here is at fault. Because if Derrick was never brought to Kirby to begin with this franchise wouldn't be in the shape it's in today. Looking at paying 45 mil in cap space to a guy with one foot in the jailhouse.

You can try to blame BOB all you want and I'm sure i will agree with some of what you type out. But make no mistake the man who brought this immoral piece of crap to Kirby has done more damage to this franchise than BOB could ever dream of doing.
The Rick Smith and @steelbtexan version of Kevin Bacon's six degrees of separation. If Bob McNair fired RS when he fired Kubiak he would not have brought Derrick to Kirby or if Kubiak never hired RS, he would not bring Derrick to Kirby or if Bob McNair never hired Kubiak and Kubiak never hired RS, Derrick would not be on Kirby.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Rick Smith and @steelbtexan version of Kevin Bacon's six degrees of separation. If Bob McNair fired RS when he fired Kubiak he would not have brought Derrick to Kirby or if Kubiak never hired RS, he would not bring Derrick to Kirby or if Bob McNair never hired Kubiak and Kubiak never hired RS, Derrick would not be on Kirby.
Or 1 degree of separation. If RS hadn't drafted Derrick, then the franchise wouldn't be where it is today. But yes, RS should've been fired when Kubiak was let go.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Quoted for truth and I was for Kubiak becoming HC.