Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans @ Chiefs - 2nd Round (And Round 2)

we Scored 31 pts today...and lost. Just for some perspective, we put up more points today in a loss than every single team that played today win or lose... except for KC.

last week in the wild card game, we scored the 2nd most points of all teams who played that week.

Defense Defense Defense...

we Scored 31 pts today...and lost. Just for some perspective, we put up more points today in a loss than every single team that played today win or lose... except for KC.

last week in the wild card game, we scored the 2nd most points of all teams who played that week.

When the Texans won with the D, it was "but, but OB hired RC".

Well, guess what, when the Texans lost, it's also on OB.

And don't act like the offense was scoring all those points either.

When the Texans won with the D, it was "but, but OB hired RC".

Well, guess what, when the Texans lost, it's also on OB.

And don't act like the offense was scoring all those points either.

It was quite the opposite for you guys on here actually. Ya’ll didn’t want to give BoB credit when they were winning thru defense...ya’ll wanted all that credit to go to RAC and RAC alone...and a few of us on here would have to remind ya’ll that BoB had something to do with the defense too as the HC... but ya’ll taught tooth and nail to give all the praise to RAC.

so yeah, this defense giving up 51 pts, Let RAC shoulder the MAJORITY of the blame for that...but BoB as the HC deserves some too..

It was quite the opposite for you guys on here actually. Ya’ll didn’t want to give BoB credit when they were winning thru defense...ya’ll wanted all that credit to go to RAC and RAC alone...and a few of us on here would have to remind ya’ll that BoB had something to do with the defense too as the HC... but ya’ll taught tooth and nail to give all the praise to RAC.

so yeah, this defense giving up 51 pts, Let RAC shoulder the MAJORITY of the blame for that...but BoB as the HC deserves some too..
Again.
No, not me.
I had given OB credit for bringing RAC in.
It's on record here on the forum.

Injuries and mismanagement put us in a situation where we had to move one of our better players, patch holes with castoffs (with varying successes), and hope JJ had enough in the tank to make a playoff run. This entire season has been a series of gaffes by OBrien and the coaching staff.
AFC South champions doesn’t mean squat. That meant something and was a goal when weren’t winning. How many tries does this guy get before moving on? One more is the likely answer. GM has been replaced three times and the results are the same; embarrassment on national television. Also known as the Texans Way.

Last edited:

That's a very simplistic & incorrect way of looking at this game. We were down by 4 at halftime.

It's basically a new game in the 2nd half. We scored 7, they scored 23.

Our offense didn't do diddly in the 2nd half.

I just don't feel as bad about this collapse as the Buffalo one. 1) Because that Oilers defense was very good, while the Texans' 2019 one was bad. 2) The Chiefs' offense is a great one, while the Bills started their backup QB.

I didn't expect the Texans to beat the Bills last week and expected them to lose by at least 14 today. What bothers me greatly is that the spark for the Chiefs were the stupid decisions by O'Brien. That's just unacceptable.

That's a very simplistic & incorrect way of looking at this game. We were down by 4 at halftime.

It's basically a new game in the 2nd half. We scored 7, they scored 23.

Our offense didn't do diddly in the 2nd half.

31 pts is 31 pts bro and that’s the only way to look at it b/c that’s the only thing that matters at the end of the game. If you score 30+ you’re supposed to win, period. and I have to believe that if the defense puts up ANY resistance and gets at least 2 stops or holds KC to a FG on 2 of those 7-8 consecutive TD drives in the 2nd half we probably win the game despite only scoring 7 pts.

Writers like John McClain are now trying to pour salt on fans' 1993 wounds by comparing this loss to the collapse at Buffalo--when the best comparison is Glanville's Stagger Lee in 1987. The Oilers lost that by more points than today, 24, and it started with a bad trick play call like this one. But the Houston sports media has to jab at the wound sure to hurt the fans most.

There are a lot of people in here, like me, called out for negativity, but the Houston sports press is always trolling fans like that. The Astros win the World Series, but the Chronicle has to pee on it by devoting equal space to Watson being injured. Always raining on any parade, always picking at the scabs.

Last edited:
31 pts is 31 pts bro and that’s the only way to look at it b/c that’s the only thing that matters at the end of the game. If you score 30+ you’re supposed to win, period. and I have to believe that if the defense puts up ANY resistance and gets at least 2 stops or holds KC to a FG on 2 of those 7-8 consecutive TD drives in the 2nd half we probably win the game despite only scoring 7 pts.

KC had a good, legit length of the field scoring drive in the 2nd qtr. ST fumbles the ball inside the 30. Then the fake punt (because we couldn't convert) we gift them another short field.

24 of the 31 points is cancelled before halftime.

The offense starts the third qtr down by 11. Defense can't win the game from this point. Offense has to score. They couldn't stay on the field much less keep up with KC.

Reactions: JB
Watch that 91 buffalo game again, for years I blamed the D but there was a phantom touchdown by BeeBe (I believe, it's been a while) and the Special teams really came up short.
As for this game, everyone mentions the fake punt but the momentum swung earlier than that when they we trying to go for it on 4th and 1.
The offense couldn't get the right personnel on the field, BOB has to call a TO and kick a field goal.
It was downhill after that, you could feel the momentum changing, there was never really a sense that KC was out of this game.
But once KC started scoring points, it really felt like it was over, not just over but a blow out was coming.
Really embarrassing, Houston deserves better than this hot garbage.

KC did what every team in the NFL knows to do against the Texans.

We can't cover TE's and we can't cover fast receivers.

Zero pressure against a QB that even if you get pressure he excels.

We can't stop the run either so the silver lining is we didn't get the ball run down our throats by Henry at home and lose to the Titans.

What Went Right

The Texans won 10 games, earned their division crown, won a playoff game, and sent three players to the Pro Bowl. That’s not bad! Oh, and they also held a 24-0 lead over the Chiefs in the divisional round. About that …

What Went Wrong

This was one of the most embarrassing collapses in NFL playoff history. The Chiefs spotted the Texans 24 points, and then ripped off 41 straight to turn the game upside down. There’s never been anything quite like it

This game was eerily reminiscent of the Titans’ win over the Ravens on Saturday. The Texans got a quick touchdown on a deep pass (a Deshaun Watson bomb to Kenny Stills), got a couple turnovers from the Chiefs (a blocked punt returned for a score and a muffed punt return), and the Chiefs’ receivers were dropping seemingly every Patrick Mahomes pass. The stars were aligning—and soon Houston led by virtually four possessions. Their win probability topped 90 percent.

And then it fell apart so fast. Head coach Bill O’Brien made a couple of ill-advised decisions in the second quarter. First, he kicked a field goal on fourth-and-1 from the Kansas City 13-yard line, foolishly believing that a 24-point lead is an acceptable cushion against Mahomes and Company. A brisk 59 seconds later, the Chiefs were in the end zone. Then, on the next possession, the Texans called for a fake punt on fourth-and-4 from their own 31-yard line, and this happened:

Then things really unraveled. The Chiefs scored again on their next drive. And again on the one after that. And again, and again, and again, and again. Kansas City scored a postseason-record seven consecutive touchdowns to not only complete an incredible comeback, but to do it in such dominating fashion that most of the second half wasn’t interesting.

The result was a reminder that the Chiefs offense is an unstoppable force, and the Texans defense, which ranked 26th in DVOA, is far from an immovable object. The Texans were 10-point underdogs entering this game, but the final score is indicative of the Bill O’Brien era in Houston: consistent underachievement and disappointment.

Houston is stacked with talent. Deshaun Watson is one of the league’s best quarterbacks, and he’s working with DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, and Kenny Stills. The offensive line is still a work in progress, but the defense also has stars in J.J. Watt, Zach Cunningham, and Whitney Mercilus, among others. And yet season after season, the Texans seem to leave potential on the table.

This year, every other AFC South team—the Colts, Jaguars, and Titans—underwent some form of quarterback instability. Andrew Luck retired days before the season opened, Nick Foles broke his collarbone in Week 1, and the Titans swapped Marcus Mariota for Ryan Tannehill after Week 6. The AFC South was, in other words, a shitshow—and the Texans should have dominated it. Yet they went just 10-6 overall and didn’t win the divisional crown until Week 16. Now they’ll watch as the Titans play in the AFC championship game, and O’Brien had no answers after the loss:

O’Brien’s future will be up in the air over the next few days. O’Brien has been the de facto general manager since Houston fired GM Brian Gaine in June 2019, and he gambled away the team’s future to try to win this season. In August he gave up a third-round pick for Browns running back Duke Johnson, who totaled 820 scrimmage yards. On August 31, he gave up two first-round picks and a second-rounder to the Dolphins for left tackle Laremy Tunsil and Stills—both of whom have been decent, but haven’t been quite worth the price Houston paid. Before the October trade deadline he gave up another third-rounder for Raiders corner Gareon Conley, who slotted into the starting role immediately but was far from a difference maker. He also traded away Jadeveon Clowney for pennies on the dollar and gave up a sixth-round pick for reserve defensive back Keion Crossen.

This is the problem with giving a coach—especially one who should be on a warm seat—personnel control. O’Brien made moves that he hoped would save his job, not the ones that were best for the long-term health of the Texans. And all those moves still landed the team in the same spot: another early and bitterly disappointing playoff exit.

It would be perfectly reasonable for Houston to cut ties with O’Brien this offseason, even after a playoff win over the Bills. Two years ago, the Titans fired Mike Mularkey even after his team beat the Chiefs in the wild-card round. Now Tennessee is playing for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

If the Texans do stick with O’Brien, it’s imperative that they bring someone in to oversee the personnel side of things. O’Brien has already raided the team of most of its long-term assets—if the franchise waits much longer, the cupboard will be completely bare when they finally look for a GM.

Free Agency

That brings us to free agency. The Texans’ need for a general manager is especially pressing given how many crucial decisions need to be made this offseason.

Watson looms over the team’s free agency plans. The Pro Bowl quarterback is entering his fourth year in the league, and while the Texans will be able to exercise a fifth-year option to keep him under wraps in 2021, now is the time to begin thinking about an extension. Jared Goff and Carson Wentz each received extensions after their third years in the league—Watson should expect the same. Watson’s exact value could depend on what Dak Prescott or Patrick Mahomes agree to (or vice versa, if Watson signs first), but it’s safe to say it will be a record-breaking number, or close to it. Expect something worth around $35 million in annual value.

Watson’s extension isn’t the only one the team needs to plan. Tunsil is under contract for only one more season, which is another reason why it was so questionable when O’Brien sent two first-rounders for him. Tunsil, the 17th-ranked tackle by Pro Football Focus, has been fine protecting Watson’s blindside, but he hasn’t been great. Regardless, Tunsil will enter negotiations with ton of leverage. Can a team trade multiple firsts for a player and not reward him with a mega contract? The Texans are going to pay a premium for average blocking; a less desperate decision-maker could have made this situation far more manageable.

In more immediate concerns, the Texans have a number of players who are set to hit free agency next season. Starting corners Bradley Roby and Johnathan Joseph are both set to hit the open market. Joseph is 35 and missed the wild-card game with a hamstring injury before returning for the divisional round—after the Texans traded for Conley midseason, they may be looking to move on from the veteran back. Roby, meanwhile, came to Houston on a one-year deal and was the best corner on the team—though that isn’t saying much. The Texans had the 26th-ranked pass defense (by DVOA) thanks to a leaky secondary, and should be looking to upgrade at every position outside of free safety, which is held down by Justin Reid.

On offense, the most notable free agent is leading rusher Carlos Hyde. While Hyde was productive in Houston, he was a journeyman for the past couple of seasons for a reason—the Texans shouldn’t break the bank for him.

Texans are projected to have over $61 million in cap space, 10th most in the league. They’ll be able to make this all work, but there is a lot of juggling to be done.

The Draft

Thanks to all of O’Brien’s trades, the team has only its second-rounder as far as notable picks go. The team should prioritize the offensive line and secondary, and could also address the running back position. Of course, if they don’t hire a general manager, O’Brien could just trade that draft pick, too. Things will get worse and worse until this team starts running itself like a real NFL franchise.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/...nt=entry&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Easy to forget. It was a gimme. Carr was out and we were playing against the 2nd string QB.
Actually it was worse than that. It was their third string rookie QB making his first start in an NFL game.

You know I would really like to see a Houston team play a divisional playoff game without setting some kind of NFL record about losing.

Records from Sunday to add to Houston's dismal playoff record.

The Chiefs scoring on eight consecutive possessions is an NFL playoff record.
The Chiefs comeback from 24 down is tied for the fourth-largest comeback in NFL playoff history.

Of course the playoff comeback record is held by the Oilers when the Bills came back from 32 down.

Example: 51-7
An observation on 51-7. I don't recall seeing Romeo, Watt, Mercilus or any of the defensive leaders pulling the defense aside, leading or challenging them during that run. I didn't see O'Brien, Watson, Hopkins or Tunsil on the sidelines pulling the offense aside, leading or challenging them. Seems like this was a total team failure.

BTW. When mentioning 51-7, here is another number for you. Do you realize that Hargreaves had more tackles (3) than Watt (0), Mercilus(1) and Reader (1) combined! I guess folks were too busy watching Watson's body language on the sidelines to notice.

An observation on 51-7. I don't recall seeing Romeo, Watt, Mercilus or any of the defensive leaders pulling the defense aside, leading or challenging them during that run. I didn't see O'Brien, Watson, Hopkins or Tunsil on the sidelines pulling the offense aside, leading or challenging them. Seems like this was a total team failure.

BTW. When mentioning 51-7, here is another number for you. Do you realize that Hargreaves had more tackles (3) than Watt (0), Mercilus(1) and Reader (1) combined! I guess folks were too busy watching Watson's body language on the sidelines to notice.

Who was the on field leaders on that team? Not talking coaches? Point is there was no leadership during that collapse. Leadership should've come from BOB/Derrick/Watt. It didn't, but CnD's point about Derrick's body language is correct. Compare and contrast that to Mahomes body language after the Chiefs got down 24-0.

A total team meltdown. Amazing how a certain few only focus is on Watson play. Lets not forget the terrible conservative play calling.

I always focus on Bill O Brien being lost that game. Hopkins was on the sideline giving him advice on what play to call during one of his timeouts. I think it was the one that they did the fake on 4th down.

He lost that game more than any player on the field that day.

A total team meltdown. Amazing how a certain few only focus is on Watson play. Lets not forget the terrible conservative play calling.
Who had the ability to change the play at the LOS?

Agreed there was a lack of leadership. It's one of the reasons I called for BOB's firing and trading of Derrick.

Bottom line is the trash will be taken out soon. Then a new beginning can start.

Let’s not play that excuse now because I remember those words you used. And we all know darn well O’Brien was a control freak. He wasn’t letting his quarterbacks have that type of freedom.

I seem to remember Derrick being able to make the line calls too. BOB's mistake was thinking Derrick was Brady and giving Derrick the freedom Brady had. I also remember that conversation at that time. Remember when Derrick did something good posters would say Derrick changed the play?

I seem to remember Derrick being able to make the line calls too. BOB's mistake was thinking Derrick was Brady and giving Derrick the freedom Brady had. I also remember that conversation at that time. Remember when Derrick did something good posters would say Derrick changed the play?
If only the world was as simple or just black and white without any nuance or shades of gray. Maybe Derrick's mistake was trusting his HC and the game plan.

Go to the 1:00 mark of this video. The Texans scored a TD but didn't run the play the way O'Brien called it. Listen to Watson giving him the reason he ran the play based on the hash marks and O'Brien's critique of the play and what he wants when he calls a play and his gut feelings. Then think about what you are posting.

If only the world was as simple or just black and white without any nuance or shades of gray. Maybe Derrick's mistake was trusting his HC and the game plan.

Go to the 1:00 mark of this video. The Texans scored a TD but didn't run the play the way O'Brien called it. Listen to Watson giving him the reason he ran the play based on the hash marks and O'Brien's critique of the play and what he wants when he calls a play and his gut feelings. Then think about what you are posting.

This probably happened more than once without the success.

Read the comments on the video. All the optimism & love for Watson & O'Brien. Talk about getting peoples hopes up to just smash them back down. It really is a damn shame it all worked out the way it did.

Read the comments on the video. All the optimism & love for Watson & O'Brien. Talk about getting peoples hopes up to just smash them back down. It really is a damn shame it all worked out the way it did.
Agreed, but not unexpected.

Hopefully, we will have very little reason to revisit the past failures of O'Brien and Watson once towel boy is shipped out of town. The past two Texans seasons are ones that I look forward to forgetting as quickly as possible.

Back