Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans @ Chiefs - 2nd Round (And Round 2)

Kansas City is supposed to receive up to six inches of snow on Saturday with the storm ending well before kickoff of Sunday’s game. So the biggest issue is the condition of the playing field. Chiefs president Mark Donovan said the Arrowhead field is covered. “If it goes the way the forecast (indicates), we’ll probably uncover it on Saturday night, let it breathe a little bit, and then be ready to go on Sunday,’’ he said.

Adam Teicher, ESPN Staff Writer4h ago

From my experience in the past, when the tarp covers the grass under these circumstances, moisture is trapped beneath the tarp on the grass and soil...............when the tarp is removed, there is ice and/or water on the surface (even when given time to "breathe" in ~30-35* weather), and slick as heck...............and the soil is stiff and hard as a rock. These conditions significantly increase the risk of lower extremity injuries..............more than a snow-covered surface.

Last edited:
Kansas City is supposed to receive up to six inches of snow on Saturday with the storm ending well before kickoff of Sunday’s game. So the biggest issue is the condition of the playing field. Chiefs president Mark Donovan said the Arrowhead field is covered. “If it goes the way the forecast (indicates), we’ll probably uncover it on Saturday night, let it breathe a little bit, and then be ready to go on Sunday,’’ he said.

Adam Teicher, ESPN Staff Writer4h ago
Its also heated so no need to let it freeze over night. It will be interesting to see how a dome team plays in the cold.

If the Texans players hate the cold as much as I do...... the Chiefs won't be able to stop them.

The Texans and Chiefs defensive efforts combined couldnt keep me from reaching the endzone IF it were filled with space heaters, fires, electric blankets and hot cocoa.

Its also heated so no need to let it freeze over night. It will be interesting to see how a dome team plays in the cold.
I know. I was there when they laid the pipes. It improves the condition, but the ground remains undesirably firm while the heat that may make it to the grass (not much does) will not prevent the grass from becoming slick. The principal of heating the field is only optimal when it is applied and then having at least 24-48 hours of significantly higher than non freezing temps, not when temps remain around the freezing point.

Given the Chiefs history since ive been watching football(early 90's) this would be absolutely ******* brutal for KC and their fans to lose this one, one and done at home again, eek
Its brutal for all fans whether the loss is at home or one the road. Its been another winning season. Very entertaining. For me its not defined win it all or failure. Beating any team in the play offs is not easy. The best team does not always win.

For Houston since the 90s....including the Oilers.....how many AFC Championship Games or Super Bowl Appearances? NONE

Houston Texans Playoff History. ... Seasons: 18 (2002 to 2019). Record (W-L-T): 131-157-0 ... Playoff Record Summary. All-Time Playoffs: 9 Games, 4-5 ... Wednesday, January 8, 10:04PM.

Last edited:
If the Texans players hate the cold as much as I do...... the Chiefs won't be able to stop them.

The Texans and Chiefs defensive efforts combined couldnt keep me from reaching the endzone IF it were filled with space heaters, fires, electric blankets and hot cocoa.

I think you would play great in cold weather if it meant a paycheck worth a few million dollars.

I have faith in you.

Given the Chiefs history since ive been watching football(early 90's) this would be absolutely ******* brutal for KC and their fans to lose this one, one and done at home again, eek
Well from what I have seen, there seem to be quite a few Chiefs fans that could use some humility.

Unfortunately I would be surprised if the Texans gave them that lesson this weekend... but Im hoping until my hoper is completely busted that OB polishes that horseshoe up his chin that brought him this far and has 3 games left in it.

For Houston since the 90s....including the Oilers.....how many AFC Championship Games or Super Bowl Appearances? NONE

Houston Texans Playoff History. ... Seasons: 18 (2002 to 2019). Record (W-L-T): 131-157-0 ... Playoff Record Summary. All-Time Playoffs: 9 Games, 4-5 ... Wednesday, January 8, 10:04PM.

Trust me - we know. That’s why there are a lot of people, die hard Texan fans, are predicting a close loss. We are a depressed bunch that stay grounded and don’t expect much from our football team. We naturally avoid disappointment, but deep down, way way deep, we keep a little hope that our team we win. We express that hope passively in “I hope I am wrong.” That’s code for “I hope we will win.”

Well from what I have seen, there seem to be quite a few Chiefs fans that could use some humility.

Unfortunately I would be surprised if the Texans gave them that lesson this weekend... but Im hoping until my hoper is completely busted that OB polishes that horseshoe up his chin that brought him this far and has 3 games left in it.
Not much humility on this site. Nothing wrong with folks wearing rose colored glasses and supporting their team. Thats what makes it fun. Chiefs fans humility? Are you kidding? Kc fans have lived in humiliation for decades. Why not respect a chance to enjoy it? Its not like the TEXANS have done any better.
My take: Its the media that hypes the KC expectations. Its about creating any narative to improve ratings. Most Chief fans I know expect the same....a unfortunate event that leads to a loss.

Not much humility on this site. Nothing wrong with folks wearing rose colored glasses and supporting their team. Thats what makes it fun. Chiefs fans humility? Are you kidding? Kc fans have lived in humiliation for decades. Why not respect a chance to enjoy it? Its not like the TEXANS have done any better.
My take: Its the media that hypes the KC expectations. Its about creating any narative to improve ratings. Most Chief fans I know expect the same....a unfortunate event that leads to a loss.
Humiliation.... until you are challenged to a bet from someone and your team forgets not to pick up the soap.... and the result is you having to lipsync to "call me maybe"... THEN you will know humiliation.

Its because of that bet I ever even heard that song, it is because of that song, I know what a hot icepick in the ear drum feels like.

:smiliepalm:

Its brutal for all fans whether the loss is at home or one the road. Its been another winning season. Very entertaining. For me its not defined win it all or failure. Beating any team in the play offs is not easy. The best team does not always win.

tenor.gif

Super Bowl IV was 1969 bro, that was like 8 years after we won our last AFL Championship haha.

Really what have the Chiefs done since 1990? I mean the Oilers had a pretty ridiculous run of heartbreaking playoff losses from the Elway "Drive II" to The Comeback to the 93 Montana/Marcus Allen Chiefs game. But I mean really even Houston football fans have to sit back in awe at the sheer disappointment that the Chiefs have given their fans in big playoff games.

The 1971 double OT loss to the Dolphins that kickstarted like a 20 year playoff drought

They did about just as good as the Oilers did in 90-91-92, win a wild card game here or there and get beat in the divisional. Montana got them to an AFC Championship game in 93 but then KC went what? Like 22 years without a playoff win?

One and done in 95 home loss to the Colts after 13-3 season, absolutely brutal.

One and done again in 97 home loss to Denver after another 13-3 season. Unreal.

Once again in 2003, 13-3 number 1 seed in the AFC, one and done home loss to Indy.

Then the comeback loss to Indy in 2013, 0-7 in the playoffs since that 93 Montana season, Texans were an expansion team built from scratch with more playoff wins than KC from 2002 up until that 2015 Bryan Hoyer Wildcard game. That's a pretty harsh stretch for Chiefs fans. My heart goes out to them if the Texans pull this one off it's going to be brutal for them to go through that again.

Last edited:
Two of the throws , if not all three, were not on target , far from perfect and required a miracle catch. Typical new age response. "If it remotely hits the receiver fingertip it should be caught". I would put it on WATSON as well.

Miracle catch? Come on man. I would say maybe one of those would have been a "great" catch, but far from a miracle. The other two definitely should have been caught.

My concern......will OB be willing to quickly adjust his gameplan if the Chiefs have the ability to stop the run game early? Everyone has to know that the Chiefs have fully prepared to prevent the Texans running game from keeping Mahomes off the field this go round.

Texans will need to test the run game early but I certainly wouldn't do it during the first couple of offensive possessions. I'd definitely utilize play-action and look for a TE sliding across the middle and into the zone for an early first down. Then I'd look over the top of the defense for Fuller. I'd get to the running game......just not out of the gate. Take the Chiefs out of their prepared defensive plan early.

If OB decides he's going to establish the run game come hell-or-highwater and winds up putting Watson in 2nd and 9+ yards on 2 or 3 consecutive series, KC's offense could make the Texans pay early in the game. I didn't mind the Texans playing catchup with the Bills but against the Chiefs......it could lead to another playoff blow-out.

OB really needs to get Duke Johnson and the TE's involved early, then push Hyde to the forefront once the Texans have scored a couple times.....not in a ball control kind of way but in a manner that reminds the Chiefs defense that Hyde is still a weapon. I think the Texans could go toe to toe with the Chiefs if the game goes that route......that's going to be up to OB and his throttle foot.

I hope this game turns out to be an -entertaining- offensive type of game. Let it come down to which defense makes just enough plays to determine the outcome.

Last edited:
Not with Mahomes. That was the past. The past does not equal the present. If Hous does not stop Mahomes they lose. Its that simple.

Nobody is going to stop Mahomes

Best you can hope for is 1-2 timely stops and control the clock, keeping him on the sidelines.

What I predict: we'll lose

What I want: we'll win

What I'll be: stoned......

@FANATIC

This is what I was talking about:

The poster boy of the depressed Texan fan who keenly remembers Houston football history that is predicting a loss, but is too jaded to go out on a limb and say we will win. Too many times he has been let down and is afraid of being disappointed again. Deep down he wants a win, so he covers it up with “hope.”

He does this every week. Sometimes twice. He is stoned a lot so I think he forgets.

Chiefs fan here. Both of these teams have pluses and minuses. Likely whoever has the ball in the last 2 minutes wins.

Agree Chiefs defense is improved but played a softer schedule down the stretch. It only needs to be a little better than last year and it is. Offense seems dialed down from last year. Maybe it is teams adjusting or KC adjusting. Part of me says Reid is getting Mahomes to play small ball more to control the clock a little better. Interior oline is a hot mess with starters that are simply not that good. Thus the poor run game.

Texans. Thrashed KC first game and that was not because of injuries. Both teams had injuries. I think the KC D has improved enough to slow that down a little. The Texans have enough weapons to score often. Watson is a star for sure. Watson is also a living sack. He runs into two or three per game. Everyone gives him credit for the GREAT ESCAPE last week and forgets the other 3 sacks he took from simply not throwing the ball way. They also forget that it was an equally awesome run after the 10 yard pass. When Watson learns to throw it away he will be unstoppable.

Bottom Line. Well matched teams. It will likely come down to turnovers, special teams, penalties and in game injuries. Should be an exciting game. I hope the Refs stay the **** out of the story. I hope both teams stay healthy. Let the players play. I see a close game with KC kicking a last minute field goal for a 30-27. Im not a super bowl or bust guy and look forward to this match up. Win or lose its been an entertaining , fun, season.

Enjoy the game.
Excellent take my friend.

@FANATIC

The poster boy of the depressed Texan fan who keenly remembers Houston football history that is predicting a loss, but is too jaded to go out on a limb and say we will win. Too many times he has been let down and is afraid of being disappointed again. Deep down he wants a win, so he covers it up with “hope.”

He does this every week. Sometimes twice. He is stoned a lot so I think he forgets.

Being older than dirt doesn't help his memory :potkettle:

Chiefs fan here. Both of these teams have pluses and minuses. Likely whoever has the ball in the last 2 minutes wins.

Agree Chiefs defense is improved but played a softer schedule down the stretch. It only needs to be a little better than last year and it is. Offense seems dialed down from last year. Maybe it is teams adjusting or KC adjusting. Part of me says Reid is getting Mahomes to play small ball more to control the clock a little better. Interior oline is a hot mess with starters that are simply not that good. Thus the poor run game.

Texans. Thrashed KC first game and that was not because of injuries. Both teams had injuries. I think the KC D has improved enough to slow that down a little. The Texans have enough weapons to score often. Watson is a star for sure. Watson is also a living sack. He runs into two or three per game. Everyone gives him credit for the GREAT ESCAPE last week and forgets the other 3 sacks he took from simply not throwing the ball way. They also forget that it was an equally awesome run after the 10 yard pass. When Watson learns to throw it away he will be unstoppable.

Bottom Line. Well matched teams. It will likely come down to turnovers, special teams, penalties and in game injuries. Should be an exciting game. I hope the Refs stay the **** out of the story. I hope both teams stay healthy. Let the players play. I see a close game with KC kicking a last minute field goal for a 30-27. Im not a super bowl or bust guy and look forward to this match up. Win or lose its been an entertaining , fun, season.

Enjoy the game.

Nice post...welcome to the board!

Enjoy the game.

How is Chris Jones looking? He wasn't there first game, and he will be the key imo. If he's wrecking havoc as usual, DW4 and the running game are in for a long day. Fulton will be completely over-whelmed

Everyone, I mean almost everyone is writing this game off as a Chiefs blowout. It could very well be if OB brings the bad Texans.

Chiefs this, Chiefs that, etc. Is it warranted? Chiefs are a talented team, but the Texans are too. I suppose the negativity toward the Texans is the inconsistencies. I get it. But the Texans could bring the good Texans tomorrow and beat the Chiefs. Or the good Texans could show up and still lose a close, great game.

I think it comes down to the Texans D making a play. A turnover or a huge stop. If the Texans start giving up 3rd and longs to the Chiefs it will be a long day. Gotta get off the field when the opportunity presents.

Needs Duke in the passing game. And watch out for 44, he was in the game last week and made some big blocks. I have a sneaky suspicion he may catch a crucial pass or two tomorrow.

Here’s to a great game.

How is Chris Jones looking? He wasn't there first game, and he will be the key imo. If he's wrecking havoc as usual, DW4 and the running game are in for a long day. Fulton will be completely over-whelmed
Playing great. Chiefs D line has a great rotation and puts serious pressure on QB. Lots of schemed blitzes.

Reactions: JB
Playing great. Chiefs D line has a great rotation and puts serious pressure on QB. Lots of schemed blitzes.
This is true. Something we desperately need to improve on. Chiefs had 45 sacks this year, and we only had 31. Pressure on the QB is something we need to address in the off season.

Watson needs to take advantage of the single high safety looks

Really need WFV to play effectively

@FANATIC

Psychiatry doesn't appear to be your strong suit. LOL

Gee thanks. Not what I needed to hear.

Good Article from Arrowhead Pride
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/1/10/21059423/how-the-chiefs-defense-beats-the-texans-offense

The Chiefs defense is a completely different animal than the last time these two teams met. Chris Jones’ availability is massive, as the Texans guards struggle with the exact type of skill set that Jones brings to the table. He has the potential to completely wreck the game plan and force Watson into running for his life for most of the game.

Frank Clark is significantly healthier than the last time these two teams played. Clark has become a bit of a game-wrecker in his own right over the last month of the season and is playing his best in a Chiefs uniform at the right time. The Chiefs also added Terrell Suggs and Mike Pennel since Week 6 — two key ingredients in stopping the Texans rushing attack.

Anthony Hitchens also wasn’t involved in the Week 6 matchup. Spagnuolo was quick to point to Hitchens as a key piece missing from that first Texans game, and for good reason. That Week 6 defensive performance was arguably the most disorganized that the defensive front had been all year. Players were in the wrong gaps, stepping all over each other’s assignments, and seemed disconnected from the secondary. Outside of the Tennessee Titans performance, every game Hitchens has called since returning has been a significant step up for the Chiefs defense.

I don’t foresee the Texans being able to milk the clock like they did in the previous matchup. Hitchens’ alignments, coupled with stronger defensive line play should help corral Hyde and force more negative plays on early downs. Getting ahead of the sticks should allow Jones, Clark and Suggs to truly tee off in their four-man rushes and should let Spagnuolo dial up some more exotic coverages on the back-end.

Finally, expect the blitz and expect it often. We know that Spagnuolo likes to be aggressive and send the house to throw quarterbacks off their game. That marries well with the Texans’ poor protection scheme. Watson and his offensive line can seem disjointed at times, and protections don’t get shifted correctly. That leaves free rushers to hit Watson too many times. Against the Buffalo Bills in the Wild Card round, Watson was sacked seven times and took 12 quarterback hits. Ultimately, the excellent play to free himself from a sack was the tale of the game, but even on that play, the blitz wasn’t properly identified.

I expect to see a fired-up defense that wants to prove the previous matchup was a fluke. They should be able to stop the rushing attack from Houston early, forcing the Texans to throw to keep up. While the passing attack could definitely turn this game into a shootout, I expect a strong four-man rush and a diverse pressure package from Spagnuolo to be the difference in this game and keep the Texans offense from keeping up with the Chiefs offense.

Back