Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans @ Chiefs - 2nd Round (And Round 2)

Even Mahomes jokes about his voice. Even if you are correct? .........lots of losers give great speeches. Mahomes Actions are all that matter. He and Watson are winners.

Please, don’t kill me with kindness and maturity. It’s my kryptonite.

I spent an hour reading Chiefs Planet. I saw all the infighting, the calling names, and have been infected. I couldn’t help myself.

Edit: I was expecting most Chiefs fan to be like that.

I spent an hour reading Chiefs Planet. I saw all the infighting, the calling names, and have been infected. I couldn’t help myself.

I do not go there. I just enjoy having a really good team after years of not. Also glad the defense is not a complete piece of crap. Watson Vs Mahomes for the next 15 years should be fun. Time for TOM TERRIFIC to go home. Its a young mobile QBs game now.

Coaching? Our Coach comes from the New England Tree. I guess you have not seen their record the last 15 years..Six Super Bowl wins..Obrian has just waited for the right team to make a run. It starts Sunday ...BOOYAH
You must be the autistic kid on here. Yeah BB coaching tree is just full of the best coaches outside of NE, right? Andy’s coaching tree is doing very well.

I do not go there. I just enjoy having a really good team after years of not. Also glad the defense is not a complete piece of crap. Watson Vs Mahomes for the next 15 years should be fun. Time for TOM TERRIFIC to go home. Its a young mobile QBs game now.

Y’all definitely went through a dark time. Pioli period and the suicide in the building. It’s great when things turn around and you can say: we are on the cusp.

We thought we were close with Schaub/AJ/Foster/Watt. Then Schaub went down and came back throwing Pick 6es. OB steps in, we go through years of a QB carousel that only the Browns can match. Then, the Browns and Bears gift us a QB.

We get Watson. Now what? Oh - Let’s get this thing called an OL. It tends to help young QBs. Brilliant OB.

Speaking of OB. Just when you think he turns a corner to let Watson play an offensive game that suits him, he surprises you with going back suffocating him.

There are a lot of similarities between the teams. Offensively I think we edge you out in the playoffs because Watson is just, it’s indescribable what kind of things he does to win. And y’all have Reid to design a great offense, but the guy just can’t be trusted in the playoffs.

In the regular season your offense is for sure better though so there is that.

It’s going to be great to be part of the next generation of QB rivals.

Let’s hope for an entertaining game with no injuries.

Reactions: ROO

I mean this place seems like a ghost town compared to CP. It’s mostly brotherly love over there. A little thick skin is all you need.

Y’all definitely went through a dark time. Pioli period and the suicide in the building. It’s great when things turn around and you can say: we are on the cusp.

We thought we were close with Schaub/AJ/Foster/Watt. Then Schaub went down and came back throwing Pick 6es. OB steps in, we go through years of a QB carousel that only the Browns can match. Then, the Browns and Bears gift us a QB.

We get Watson. Now what? Oh - Let’s get this thing called an OL. It tends to help young QBs. Brilliant OB.

Speaking of OB. Just when you think he turns a corner to let Watson play an offensive game that suits him, he surprises you with going back suffocating him.

There are a lot of similarities between the teams. Offensively I think we edge you out in the playoffs because Watson is just, it’s indescribable what kind of things he does to win. And y’all have Reid to design a great offense, but the guy just can’t be trusted in the playoffs.

In the regular season your offense is for sure better though so there is that.

It’s going to be great to be part of the next generation of QB rivals.

Let’s hope for an entertaining game with no injuries.
All good points. Usually KC limps into the play offs. Fast start then not. This year exact opposite.

This take would be of concern for Texan Fans. Yes they beat KC at home and the Arrowhead HFA is a myth. But if you look at recent games you get this.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/01...hould-dominate-houston-texans-nfl-playoffs/2/

Why is this? There are numerous reasons. The Texans are 17th on the road in points allowed with nearly 24 a game. They’re last on the road in yards allowed as one of only two teams allowing 400 or more. They’re also last on the road in yards per play and last on the road in 3rd down conversions allowed.
Probably the most telling stat is the Texans red zone percentage. They rank last in the league on the season allowing touchdowns on 71 percent of opponent’s trips, and are even worse over the last three games allowing an insane conversion of 86 percent. You might say to yourself, maybe they’ve played a tough schedule? That could be a major reason why their defense has struggled, couldn’t it?
Unfortunately for Texans fans, the advanced metrics don’t paint a prettier picture. According to DVOA, when you factor in the Texans schedule and various other factors their defense is one of the worst in the league ranking 26th. In fact, they’re the only team in the bottom 10 and one of only two in the bottom 16 to have made the playoffs.

Same Article makes this point and is my concern. I think KC has the same issue and Hous will continue to have success in the middle of the field, Chiefs linebackers not good in coverage or sideline to sideline.

The main concern I have is the return of Will Fuller.
Fuller missed five games in the regular season, due to various injuries, and missed the last game against the Buffalo Bills. To be truthful, his impact in most of the games in which he played was hit or miss. He had two games with 140 yards receiving or more, absolutely shredding the opposing defense, yet he also had three games with 11 yards receiving or less, barely factoring into the equation.
Regardless of his statistical impact, his presence requires a completely different defensive approach. Especially with the loss of Thornhill, it’s likely the Chiefs will opt for extra players in deep coverage which will open up the middle of the field for players like DeAndre Hopkins. This seemed to be a primary issue for the Chiefs in the first contest, with Thornhill still developing.
Their struggles to contain receivers five to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage was obvious, and it arguably cost them the game. To avoid this same result on Saturday, Spagnuolo will have to be creative in the way he deploys the safeties with one less great athlete at his disposal.

All good points. Usually KC limps into the play offs. Fast start then not. This year exact opposite.

This take would be of concern for Texan Fans. Yes they beat KC at home and the Arrowhead HFA is a myth. But if you look at recent games you get this.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/01...hould-dominate-houston-texans-nfl-playoffs/2/

Why is this? There are numerous reasons. The Texans are 17th on the road in points allowed with nearly 24 a game. They’re last on the road in yards allowed as one of only two teams allowing 400 or more. They’re also last on the road in yards per play and last on the road in 3rd down conversions allowed.
Probably the most telling stat is the Texans red zone percentage. They rank last in the league on the season allowing touchdowns on 71 percent of opponent’s trips, and are even worse over the last three games allowing an insane conversion of 86 percent. You might say to yourself, maybe they’ve played a tough schedule? That could be a major reason why their defense has struggled, couldn’t it?
Unfortunately for Texans fans, the advanced metrics don’t paint a prettier picture. According to DVOA, when you factor in the Texans schedule and various other factors their defense is one of the worst in the league ranking 26th. In fact, they’re the only team in the bottom 10 and one of only two in the bottom 16 to have made the playoffs.
NE had number 1 ranked defense. Bills had number 3 ranked defense. Where are they now?

NE had number 1 ranked defense. Bills had number 3 ranked defense. Where are they now?
Both very good wins against poor offenses. Not sure how those wins factor into the article? KC offense is not NE or Buff. I expect a shoot out of sorts. Both KC and Hous defenses are suspect.

And yet - here we are.

Stats tell you what should happen, not what will happen. I am sure the 16-0 Patriots had better stats going into the Super Bowl against the Giants.

It’s the postseason. Any given Sunday. Human element. Stats can’t measure that.

One last thing about our stats - it would be interesting to see what they are without the cataclysmic meltdowns in Baltimore and Denver where we forgot to play a game. Might as well throw in the last Tennessee game because we sat out players. But that is the Texans weakness. They forget to show up some games. Inconsistent.

And yet - here we are.

Stats tell you what should happen, not what will happen. I am sure the 16-0 Patriots had better stats going into the Super Bowl against the Giants.

It’s the postseason. Any given Sunday. Human element. Stats can’t measure that.

One last thing about our stats - it would be interesting to see what they are without the cataclysmic meltdowns in Baltimore and Denver where we forgot to play a game. Might as well throw in the last Tennessee game because we sat out players. But that is the Texans weakness. They forget to show up some games. Inconsistent.
Agree. Should be fun. Enjoy.

Both very good wins against poor offenses. Not sure how those wins factor into the article? KC offense is not NE or Buff. I expect a shoot out of sorts. Both KC and Hous defenses are suspect.
It does not factor into the article. You were criticizing our defense saying how its ranked 26th. I am just pointing out that 2 of the top ranked defenses (NE and Bills) are already out.

Same Article makes this point and is my concern. I think KC has the same issue and Hous will continue to have success in the middle of the field, Chiefs linebackers not good in coverage or sideline to sideline.

The main concern I have is the return of Will Fuller.
Fuller missed five games in the regular season, due to various injuries, and missed the last game against the Buffalo Bills. To be truthful, his impact in most of the games in which he played was hit or miss. He had two games with 140 yards receiving or more, absolutely shredding the opposing defense, yet he also had three games with 11 yards receiving or less, barely factoring into the equation.
Regardless of his statistical impact, his presence requires a completely different defensive approach. Especially with the loss of Thornhill, it’s likely the Chiefs will opt for extra players in deep coverage which will open up the middle of the field for players like DeAndre Hopkins. This seemed to be a primary issue for the Chiefs in the first contest, with Thornhill still developing.
Their struggles to contain receivers five to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage was obvious, and it arguably cost them the game. To avoid this same result on Saturday, Spagnuolo will have to be creative in the way he deploys the safeties with one less great athlete at his disposal.

We get Will Fuller back who has shown in gams coming back from injury he has big games. Having him in our offense is always a difference maker.

To be fair, last game y’all didn’t have Coats and Tyreek Hill was coming off injury. So there is that.

It does not factor into the article. You were criticizing our defense saying how its ranked 26th. I am just pointing out that 2 of the top ranked defenses (NE and Bills) are already out.
I simply posted part of an article. It was not my opinion. I know anyone can find info to support an opinion. Both teams have no reason to brag about their defense.

I simply posted part of an article. It was not my opinion. I know anyone can find info to support an opinion. Both teams have no reason to brag about their defense.
Yes. And my point was even teams with good defences have no reason to brag either as 2 of the best are eliminated.

I mean this place seems like a ghost town compared to CP. It’s mostly brotherly love over there. A little thick skin is all you need.

We have a higher bar of measurement for posters. Seriously - I was embarrassed for y’all to see what’s written in that message. Some guy said it was going to be a close game and he was blasted and called something I can’t write here.

Coming in second seems to be a theme for the Chiefs.

Second rate board, BBQ comes in second behind behind ours, second best QB behind Watson...FFS you were the 2 seed! Sloppy seconds must make y’all feel like a king.

But hey, y’all will be the first in something. First team to lose on Sunday.

I love the debate and banter between opposing teams fans, but hate when people throw out stats, rankings and numbers as their justification to their team winning. As any fair weather fan can see, stats mean nothing in the playoffs. The Pats are gone, the Saints are gone, etc. Houston and KC are 2 teams with young, talented, mobile QBs, with below average defenses and very good offenses. Both divisional winners. This is going to be a really good game, that can go either way.

My feeling today is that the outcome of this Sunday's game is squarely on O'Brien's shoulders. If he comes to the stadium with his stubborn ego in full force, of "my system will win this game," with the vanilla play-calling and 15 runs up the middle on first down resulting in second and long, then the Texans will lose this game. If he swallows his pride and gives the players the opportunity to be great, then the Texans will win.

Come on O'Brien, learn from the past, mix it up man. Dare to be great on Sunday, dare to let your players be great on Sunday.

We had the 3rd hardest SOS, Texans has 5th. So by your calculations if our SOS was fairly soft then Texans must have been marshmallow? But none of that matters anyway this week. It’s win or go home. Teams we played this season don’t matter to this game. Hopefully whoever wins this one can go into Baltimore and win one more with not many injuries. Win or lose I’ll be back here after the game.

respect

Chiefs fan here. Both of these teams have pluses and minuses. Likely whoever has the ball in the last 2 minutes wins.

Agree Chiefs defense is improved but played a softer schedule down the stretch. It only needs to be a little better than last year and it is. Offense seems dialed down from last year. Maybe it is teams adjusting or KC adjusting. Part of me says Reid is getting Mahomes to play small ball more to control the clock a little better. Interior oline is a hot mess with starters that are simply not that good. Thus the poor run game.

Texans. Thrashed KC first game and that was not because of injuries. Both teams had injuries. I think the KC D has improved enough to slow that down a little. The Texans have enough weapons to score often. Watson is a star for sure. Watson is also a living sack. He runs into two or three per game. Everyone gives him credit for the GREAT ESCAPE last week and forgets the other 3 sacks he took from simply not throwing the ball way. They also forget that it was an equally awesome run after the 10 yard pass. When Watson learns to throw it away he will be unstoppable.

Bottom Line. Well matched teams. It will likely come down to turnovers, special teams, penalties and in game injuries. Should be an exciting game. I hope the Refs stay the **** out of the story. I hope both teams stay healthy. Let the players play. I see a close game with KC kicking a last minute field goal for a 30-27. Im not a super bowl or bust guy and look forward to this match up. Win or lose its been an entertaining , fun, season.

Enjoy the game.

I don’t think there’s any question you guys have the upper hand from just about every angle there is and just based on how each team has been playing as of late it really shouldn’t be a game. Thing is though, all those things in your favor come with expectations and pressure. Pressure to win & pressure to win in dominating fashion. And while I have no doubt our defense is gonna have it’s hands full with you guys’ offense, our guys have been heavy underdogs all year against the perennial contenders and teams expected to be there in the end. And in all but 1 occasion did they not come thru with a win...or at least a stellar performance where we should’ve won (frickin Aaron Colvin).

IOW’s we’ve thrived on being the underdog all year and I believe that this team has played its best when it is in that position.

McClain: The surest ways for Texans to beat Chiefs

John McClain , Houston Chronicle Jan. 9, 2020

Thursday's takeaways from the Texans’ locker room as they prepare for Sunday’s divisional playoff game at Kansas City:

Fool-proof formulas

Everyone asks what the Texans need to do to beat the Chiefs? The best way is simple: Don’t commit turnovers. This season, they were 3-0 when didn’t give away the ball. Since Bill O’Brien became the head coach, they have a 17-1 record when they don’t commit a turnover.

Now, here’s the second-best way: The Texans are 5-0 this season when they allow fewer than two sacks. Since 2015, they’re 25-9 when they surrender one or no sacks.

Texans notoriously slow starters

The Texans scored only 47 points during the first quarter this season. Only four teams scored fewer points. Conversely, the Chiefs are fast starters. The Texans have been outscored 75-47 during the first quarter. Kansas City has a 90-37 advantage.

Typically, the Texans fell behind Buffalo 7-0 in the first quarter and trailed 16-0 midway through the third quarter when they began their comeback before winning 22-19 in overtime. In the their 31-24 victory this season at Arrowhead Stadium, the Chiefs scored first and led 17-3 in the second quarter before the Texans began their comeback.

“We’re continuing to try to make sure our guys are as prepared as possible for that first drive and things they may see,” Texans offensive coordinator Tim Kelly said. “We’ve got to do a good job of coaching them throughout the week, and they’ve got to do a good job of executing.”

Teams have big-play threats

Even though Will Fuller, their best deep threat, missed five games during the regular season, the Texans still finished tied for third in catches of at least 30 yards. They had 27, tied with Dallas behind Kansas City (32) and Tampa Bay (31).

If Fuller had been able to stay healthy, Deshaun Watson might have completed the most 30-plus passes. Fuller had nine, tying him for seventh in the NFL. Imagine how many he could have caught if hadn’t missed so much time with hamstring and groin injuries, including the wild card overtime victory over Buffalo.

The Texans are hoping Fuller can return against the Chiefs and give them an added dimension to their passing game.

Dramatic turnaround for Chiefs' defense

During their six-game winning streak to close the season, the Chiefs played tremendous defense. They allowed only 11.6 points a game, down from 23.9 over the first 10 games. They gave up 31 points to the Texans the first time they played. It was one of only two times the Texans scored at least 30 points this season.

“They’re physical up front,” offensive coordinator Tim Kelly said about Kansas City’s defense. “They’ve got guys on the back end who can cover. They’re making plays when they come their way. They’re playing at a high level right now.”

Texans know Mahomes' strengths

THE REST OF THE STORY

Forecast is SNOW

I am seeing snow on the forecast for Saturday which will be clear by the time we play Sunday. However, even if there is some weather that makes it harder to throw the ball, I like our chances with the run game. We have talent, just need to execute. It will allow us to better control time of possession. It is going to be very interesting to see what happens.

I am seeing snow on the forecast for Saturday which will be clear by the time we play Sunday. However, even if there is some weather that makes it harder to throw the ball, I like our chances with the run game. We have talent, just need to execute. It will allow us to better control time of possession. It is going to be very interesting to see what happens.
FYI....Mahomes absolutely torched Denver in a snow storm last month. 27-34 340 yards a 2 TDS. Score KC 23-3

Denver BroncosAttCmpYdsYPATDIntLgSackLossRate
Drew Lock40182085.201432950.8
Kansas City ChiefsAttCmpYdsYPATDIntLgSackLossRate
Patrick Mahomes342734010.02141t313115.7

It was the week after Broncos defeated Hous 38-24. So there is that.

Denver BroncosAttCmpYdsYPATDIntLgSackLossRate
Drew Lock272230911.4314818136.0
Houston TexansAttCmpYdsYPATDIntLgSackLossRate
Deshaun Watson50282925.81243t312

Last edited:
I rewatched the matchup form earlier in the season. Loved when Hyde scored and stared into the camera and said they can't f'in stop us. Takeaways:
They had a wicked screen game
Kelsey is so talented, but is such a flopper like a Euro basketball player
We ran to the outside of the tackles all day, Hyde was patient
They could not cover Duke
We fumbled on our first play, WFV dropped 3 TD's, DW4 threw deep unsuccessfully on 4th and 1 and still won
They were undisciplined as hell, penalties were setting records
After McKinney rolled Mahommes ankle, he was less effective
This is where Fairbairn missed a XP and FG (laces bad)
Phillip Gaines was a CB for us, yes.

I don't even rememember seeing Anger. If we play as good as last time and clean up some of that crap a win is there. Yes both teams are different, but I decided to watch to see why KC was so excited. You can look at stats all day, I prefer to see how they matched up last time

I rewatched the matchup form earlier in the season. Loved when Hyde scored and stared into the camera and said they can't f'in stop us. Takeaways:
They had a wicked screen game
We ran to the outside of the tackles all day, Hyde was patient
They could not cover Duke
We fumbled on our first play, WFV dropped 3 TD's, DW4 threw deep unsuccessfully on 4th and 1 and still won
They were undisciplined as hell, penalties were setting records
After McKinney rolled Mahommes ankle, he was less effective
This is where Fairbairn missed a XP and FG (laces bad)
Phillip Gaines was a CB for us, yes.

I don't even rememember seeing Anger. If we play as good as last time and clean up some of that crap a win is there. Yes both teams are different, but I decided to watch to see why KC was so excited. You can look at stats all day, I prefer to see how they matched up last time
I think KC has seen that and will use it for motivation. I think KC will limit the run game unless Jones, Calf Injury, does not play. Hous will need to win through the air.

Couldn't agree more, Kelce is a good football player, but he is also a whiner and a crybaby! It is enjoyable to see him pout when he thinks an official should have thrown a flag but didn't.

Couldn't agree more, Kelce is a good football player, but he is also a whiner and a crybaby! It is enjoyable to see him pout when he thinks an official should have thrown a flag but didn't.

f468b00396e0c97847e841ff3f5f6e05.jpg

The scroll of truth found by a Chiefs fan.

UPDATE WEATHER FORECAST FOR SUNDAY GAME TIME:

PARTLY CLOUDY............NO SNOW, SLEET OR RAIN EXPECTED...............WIND 8 MPH.............TEMP 34*...............CHILL INDEX (WHAT IT REALLY FEELS LIKE) 27*............JUST THE CONDITIONS I REMEMBER WHILE WATCHING THE CHIEFS IN THE OPEN AIR WHEN I LIVED IN KC

Our secondary is going to be roughed up I'm afraid.
That is why we will need to get consistent pressure on Mahomes. Having JJ Watt back will be a huge lift. JJ was the catylist that lifted our teams spirits and that momentum carried over for the rest of game last week. If we can get some big plays early we have the kind of team that can take over and use it to carry us to victory. It is inevitable that KC will make some big plays both on offense and defense. If we play with heart and can also make some big plays it will be anybody's game. I doubt we see a let down on KC's part.

On a side note, with JJ coming back from his injury I hope we still consider playing Omenihu plenty. I think the kid has great raw talent and having him on the field early to see what he can bring can only help. If he is struggling in those early stages of the game than bench him but I think the kid can do some good.

Last edited:
My feeling today is that the outcome of this Sunday's game is squarely on O'Brien's shoulders. If he comes to the stadium with his stubborn ego in full force, of "my system will win this game," with the vanilla play-calling and 15 runs up the middle on first down resulting in second and long, then the Texans will lose this game. If he swallows his pride and gives the players the opportunity to be great, then the Texans will win.

Come on O'Brien, learn from the past, mix it up man. Dare to be great on Sunday, dare to let your players be great on Sunday.

If they don't turn the ball over the Texans will win

UPDATE WEATHER FORECAST FOR SUNDAY GAME TIME:

PARTLY CLOUDY............NO SNOW, SLEET OR RAIN EXPECTED...............WIND 8 MPH.............TEMP 34*...............CHILL INDEX (WHAT IT REALLY FEELS LIKE) 27*............JUST THE CONDITIONS I REMEMBER WHILE WATCHING THE CHIEFS IN THE OPEN AIR WHEN I LIVED IN KC

Global warming

Am I wrong or have the Chiefs under Reid lost 3 of 4 playoff games that were played at home?
Arrowhead Home Field Advantage is a myth. Reid is 1-1 with Mahomes and that loss was not on Mahomes. An neutral zone penalty by Ford , negating a game ending int, put Brady , with 3 int , into the superbowl. The past losses were mostly Alex Smith playing. Mahomes is not Smith like.

Back