Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TEXANS ATTEMPTING A REBOUND AGAINST THE RAVENS IN WEEK 2

Rypien is interesting because he was basically a proto Brock Oswieler that got coached up by some of the best in the business and surrounded by greatness at almost every position around him, 3 great receivers, an elite offensive line, and solid ground game and one of the most underrated defenses of all time on the other side of the ball(that D was the real catalyst for their 91 Super Bowl run).

He held out for more money in 92 and missed most of training camp, alienated his team mates and coaches with ego from winning Super Bowl MVP the year before. It’s really remarkable how absolutely dreadful he was that 92 season. He was really bad and held back a team that had the talent to get back to another Super Bowl(especially the defense), even with him playing like Brock Osweiler that year they still managed to make it to second round of the playoffs. He was so bad that Gibbs would call a lot of HB option pass plays late in the year when they desperately needed a score, it became like a running joke that the running back Ernest Byner was a better passer than Rypien was.
The purpose of me bringing up Rypien was to show that lesser QB's than DW4 have benefitted from good coaching. Though our talent overall is nothing like the teams I mentioned, it does show that if lesser QB's than DW4 can do well with proper coaching and tutelage, than there is no reason our offense and DW4 can't do better. I realize our defense has not been world beaters either but they can only carry the load and burden of a sucky offense for so long.

Washington having won Super Bowls in 1982, 1987 and 1991 all under different QB's has to show that coaching played a role. They used their QB's accordingly.

We have some serious weaknesses on our team but there is enough talent for them to make the playoffs. I do think it is likely to be another disappointing season in regards to playoff success simply due to a lack of talent. Still if coached right we could exceed expectations.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
No surprise at all.
It stemmed from the fact that in 2018, the Texans had the 5th most rushing attempts in the league.
When you run the ball that much, it tends to be on first down also, and it was.
Not only that, the Texans did run a heck of a lot on first down that year: 285 to 162
(The link to the Game Play Finder on ProFootball Reference is too long so I just post the numbers).

Last year, they ran the ball less than in 2018, ranking 12th most in the league.
You'd expect the number of runs on first down would be less, and it was, but still much more than the pass.
259:181

This year, because the Texans were behind early in the first two games, they haven't been running the ball much at all. (next to fewest in the league at 31st most).
Therefore, it's not surprising at all that they have more pass attempts on first down.
32:17
(40 passing plays if you count the 8 sacks).

Overall, this year, they had 68 passing attempts (plus the 8 sacks) and just 39 rushing attempts.
I would be curious to see runs on first down in the first half, vs the 2nd when we are losing and the game is escaping from us.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I did think Eli was and the yr Flacco's5 Ravens won the SB I thought he was playing well enough to win a SB. When he won in Denver I was on board. Foles surprised me, I didn't think he had it in him to
I would be curious to see runs on first down in the first half, vs the 2nd when we are losing and the game is escaping from us.
The Texans ran the ball on first down 4 times in each half vs. the Chiefs.
Noted that the RBs only had a total of 17 carries, and 8 of were on fist downs. That's 53.33%
Hey, at least they toned it down some and ran a little less often on first down than last year, LOL.

For the Ravens game, the Texans started in style with a one yard run for a whopping gain of one grand yard.
The second series began with a pass, but the third series was another run for another meager yard.
As the Ravens went up 10-0, the Texans started to feel like they needed to open up the game and began to pass the ball game more (but they did start their fourth series with a run just for the heck of it.)

Overall, the RBs carried the ball just 12 times in this game, so all that tendencies went out of the window.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Noted that the RBs only had a total of 17 carries, and 8 of were on fist downs. That's 53.33%
Hey, at least they toned it down some and ran a little less often on first down than last year, LOL.

For the Ravens game, the Texans started in style with a one yard run for a whopping gain of one grand yard.
The second series began with a pass, but the third series was another run for another meager yard.
As the Ravens went up 10-0, the Texans started to feel like they needed to open up the game and began to pass the ball game more (but they did start their fourth series with a run just for the heck of it.)

Overall, the RBs carried the ball just 12 times in this game, so all that tendencies went out of the window.
Until injuries start to show up...
The Texans do not have the depth at many positions, unfortunately.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Yep Earl, the next 4 yrs of bottoming out are going to be hilarious.
You know what will really be hilarious.....when OB dumps all of his 2022 and 2023 draft capital on over-priced veteran FA's while trying to save his job and you plus a small handful of others will be the only ones on this board still trying to hold Watson accountable for OB's failures as a GM, HC, and OC.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You know what will really be hilarious.....when OB dumps all of his 2022 and 2023 draft capital on over-priced veteran FA's while trying to save his job and you plus a small handful of others will be the only ones on this board still trying to hold Watson accountable for OB's failures as a GM, HC, and OC.
He's not going to trade 2022 draft capital unless it's for a proven player.

My question is say a CB they really likes falls to say 40 in the draft. Would you be OK giving up a 2021 3rd and say a 6th, plus a 2022 2nd to move up and get the guy they really want? I think I would if I could find a differencemaker. I just hope that they come out of this draft with a NT/RG/S (They should be able to find these type of guys in the 3rd rd. A stud CB would optimal but I doubt one of those can be found in the 3rd rd. Sadly the FA CB class in 2021 appears to be a weak one. If A CB I liked fell into the early part of the 2nd RD I would be on board for trading up to get him and move L.Jo to FS and pair him with Reid. (I hope they re-sign Reid) He's one of the few above avg players on the defense.

OptimisticTexan

My question is say a CB they really likes falls to say 40 in the draft. Would you be OK giving up a 2021 3rd and say a 6th, plus a 2022 2nd to move up and get the guy they really want? I think I would if I could find a differencemaker. I just hope that they come out of this draft with a NT/RG/S (They should be able to find these type of guys in the 3rd rd. A stud CB would optimal but I doubt one of those can be found in the 3rd rd. Sadly the FA CB class in 2021 appears to be a weak one. If A CB I liked fell into the early part of the 2nd RD I would be on board for trading up to get him and move L.Jo to FS and pair him with Reid. (I hope they re-sign Reid) He's one of the few above avg players on the defense.
I also agree that some of the teams holes could be addressed in RD3 thru RD5. There are players that cannot be kept going into 2021 and if I were in OB's shoes I'd be making my evaluations and assessments right now and probably be prepared to pull the trigger on salary dumps before the trade deadline. With injuries hitting some of the top teams hard.....I'd say there could be a bevy of buyers before the deadline if the Texans are sellers.

OB has to begin fixing his cap situation before the deadline b/c the off-season will be to late for max compensation. Those opportunities will be gone. Take draft picks and lick your wounds in regards to dead money......sometimes it's just better to yank that band-aid off and start the rebuild.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I also agree that some of the teams holes could be addressed in RD3 thru RD5. There are players that cannot be kept going into 2021 and if I were in OB's shoes I'd be making my evaluations and assessments right now and probably be prepared to pull the trigger on salary dumps before the trade deadline. With injuries hitting some of the top teams hard.....I'd say there could be a bevy of buyers before the deadline if the Texans are sellers.

OB has to begin fixing his cap situation before the deadline b/c the off-season will be to late when max compensation is gone. Take draft picks and lick your wounds in regards to dead money......sometimes it's just better to yank that band-aid off and start the rebuild.
With two 4ths and a 5th they could very easily move back into the 3rd and have 2 3rd rd picks to fill 2 of the holes I'm talking about. Say a NT and getting a RG in the 3rd by trading one of the 4ths and a 5th.

So you could end up with two 3rds a 4th, two 6ths and a 7th in next yrs draft. They should be able to fill atleast a couple of holes.

I'm all for trading off everything but the OL and doing a re-bulid. BOB's not the guy for this though.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

OB has to begin fixing his cap situation before the deadline b/c the off-season will be to late for max compensation. Those opportunities will be gone. Take draft picks and lick your wounds in regards to dead money......sometimes it's just better to yank that band-aid off and start the rebuild.
If I was OB, i would have resigned.

No, I would not let OB trade any current or future draft capital. He has not proven to develop any talent beyond the skill set they entered the league with...so why let him borrow against the future?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Someone recently posted the run pass percentage on first down from last year - SHOCKINGLY it wasn't nearly as high as was perceived - just south of 40%.

The RB's carried the ball only 11 times against the Ravens - WFV had one carry , Watson had 5 and David Johnson 11.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
2022 & 23 draft picks are not in the table for Ob.

Zero , Zip , Zilch - Nodda.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I agree with you here 110% ... With the cap declining next season and the team being $10,560,875 OVER the projected cap with only 38 contracts , dumping as much of that as possible along with collecting some draft assets would be the ideal thing to do when looking to the future ...
Just not so sure OB does. He'll be fighting to save his job , not worrying about the future. They could be 0-5 on deadline day and he's not going to want to give up talent.

Sure is going to suck to send two top 40 picks to Miami but being sellers between now and deadline day would ease some of that pain.

badboy

Hall of Fame
With two 4ths and a 5th they could very easily move back into the 3rd and have 2 3rd rd picks to fill 2 of the holes I'm talking about. Say a NT and getting a RG in the 3rd by trading one of the 4ths and a 5th.

So you could end up with two 3rds a 4th, two 6ths and a 7th in next yrs draft. They should be able to fill atleast a couple of holes.

I'm all for trading off everything but the OL and doing a re-bulid. BOB's not the guy for this though.
I'm hoping PJ resolves NT going forward and he has looked pretty good so far. I agree we need right guard but I think Obrien goes with what is on roster for entire line. If so and we get either WR or corner with our current third, I would be willing to go after the other with trade back into third. We still need starting RB for 2021 unless that is Scottie Phillips? :shades:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Not counting this year (Charlie Heck), OB had had 14 picks on offense Rd 3-5, (if my count is correct) only one guy is looking half-way decent, and that's the TE JA (but not as a rookie); what make you think he can fill any hole?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What about our original 21 first and second? That would get top 13 and 45 or better perhaps a left and right tackle?
They just spent #18 on Jackson, they ain't gonna give up for him that quick

badboy

Hall of Fame
According to some, he's being forced to play players he doesn't like. If that's happening, he should definitely resign and look for work elsewhere. Staying in that type of environment will only ruin his career.
Ok and he could probably get the five elsewhere. Jets? They have two first round picks. Hey, what if he and Watson really do like each other? O'Brien the GM trades Watson to Jets for 1.29 and 2.34, then becomes GM and head coach NY?
In start over mode, Houston trades Tunsil to Dolphins for 1.13 and 2.45.
Minus those contracts and David johnson, we would have some cap to consider FA and enticement for new coach and a GM. See I fix everything!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
According to some, he's being forced to play players he doesn't like. If that's happening, he should definitely resign and look for work elsewhere. Staying in that type of environment will only ruin his career.

But .... that doesn't make much sense when not only is he the coach , he's the GM too.

There was only one case where I know he was saddled with a player he didn't particularly want and that was Watson coming out of the draft but that guy has kept him employed (probably gonna get him fired too) since.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
But .... that doesn't make much sense when not only is he the coach , he's the GM too.

There was only one case where I know he was saddled with a player he didn't particularly want and that was Watson coming out of the draft but that guy has kept him employed (probably gonna get him fired too) since.
I know it doesn't make sense. But according to someone, despite BOB being the GM & HC, Watson is on this team, got an extension, and starting against his will.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
What do they have to sell?

If it were me , this would be a fire sale - Everything must go. Watt , Tunsil , either Johnson , All of the WR's , any of the LBers , You can have Watson for the right price (NTC).... pretty much any player making more than their rookie deal would be for sale.

But that's with the realization that we're going thru a complete rebuild - I don't think OB or the McNair's believe that the team is that bad - they don't have asses in seats to gauge public opinion either.

I need to put my OB Be GOne avatar back up.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Os?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I know it doesn't make sense. But according to someone, despite BOB being the GM & HC, Watson is on this team, got an extension, and starting against his will.
Not true,

I just said the McNair's wanted DW4 to be the face of THEIR franchise and paid him 160 mil to be that for the next 4 yrs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If it were me , this would be a fire sale - Everything must go. Watt , Tunsil , either Johnson , All of the WR's , any of the LBers , You can have Watson for the right price (NTC).... pretty much any player making more than their rookie deal would be for sale.

But that's with the realization that we're going thru a complete rebuild - I don't think OB or the McNair's believe that the team is that bad - they don't have asses in seats to gauge public opinion either.

I would try to keep the OL together and get a new HC. Everybody else would be on the table.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I would try to keep the OL together and get a new HC. Everybody else would be on the table.

By the time this team is fixed , they'll be gone or wanting more money .... may as well turn them into draft picks and players on rookie contracts who you control for a longer period of time (with some other staff making the picks).

I'm thoroughly convinced this team is broken beyond repair .... from coach to qb to wateboy , its time for a reset.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Cal wont go for a resale. That would mean admitting the current team is a failure. Hes either to stupid or stubborn to ever admit it. The term rebuilding effects butts in seats. They wont use that term ever.

Maybe "retooling."

That stadium would be full if they sucked like the Saints before Drew Brees.

That said , I do agree , Cal / Janice will never use that word "rebuild" .... this is a marketing outfit after all.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
It's a hard time being a fan.

Do you want what's best for the team now or later? I know ob wont lead us to sh*t like we did at the end with dom and kubes.

When do you start wanting a team - your team - to fail so they have a fresh start? I dont want to root against them ,but more OB means more wasted time.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Yes, if this season continues as is and it might, time to clean house keeping only young cheap guys for future. Need also to keep in mind cap space increase with those going.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
By the time this team is fixed , they'll be gone or wanting more money .... may as well turn them into draft picks and players on rookie contracts who you control for a longer period of time (with some other staff making the picks).

I'm thoroughly convinced this team is broken beyond repair .... from coach to qb to wateboy , its time for a reset.
Who will handling the auction?

OB?
Might as well just give them for free. :corrosion:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Ever heard of split personality?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Plays called (PASS VS RUN) on 1st down in 2019 per https://www.sharpfootballstats.com.

I've isolated Houston's stats at the bottom of the chart [Interesting side note: Houston gained substantially greater yds on their 1st down run attempts]:

View attachment 6666

View attachment 6667
The chart has the same result as what I pulled from ProFootball Reference.
The Texans ran 56% on first down in 2019.
They passed the ball 44% of the time.

Look at the green portion of the chart to the left.
Only 8 teams attempted fewer passes on first down then the Texans.

And in 2018, the numbers skewed much worse.

In summary, the complaint that OB runs the ball on first down too much is totally valid.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Mike Mularkey preferred getting fired instead of being forced to make changes to his coaching staff. Maybe, someone should whisper to Cal that he needs to demand BOB fires Devlin and we can hope BOB is as loyal as Mularkey.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The chart has the same result as what I pulled from ProFootball Reference.
The Texans ran 56% on first down in 2019.
They passed the ball 44% of the time.

Look at the green portion of the chart to the left.
Only 8 teams attempted fewer passes on first down then the Texans.

And in 2018, the numbers skewed much worse.

In summary, the complaint that OB runs the ball on first down too much is totally valid.
This is another thing that bugs me about the Texans. I still believe in a strong running game to wear down defenses, control TOP and heavy play action passes. However, how can any team be a dominant running team when the majority of the runs are out of the shotgun? Give me more 2 TE sets and sprinkle in some offset I formations with play action passes.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This is another thing that bugs me about the Texans. I still believe in a strong running game to wear down defenses, control TOP and heavy play action passes. However, how can any team be a dominant running team when the majority of the runs are out of the shotgun? Give me more 2 TE sets and sprinkle in some offset I formations with play action passes.
The Texans under BOB did it in the beginning with Foster (and the FB whose name escape me at the moment).
But with Watson, because of his experience in the shotgun and the RPO he ran in college, O'Brien decided to switch to it similar to the Ravens using the Pistol formation with Lamar (in which the QB is also in the position of a shotgun formation (basically), but they have more people in the backfield than in shotgun one back.
It's just that Dabo Swinney is such a master of his craft and a good teacher to boost (or it could be he has an awesome assistant coach) that he came up with all kinds of blocking schemes that the players can execute well (and they have more players in the backfield in general, too.)

Also, I think that for it to really work, they probably need to concentrate on the run like the Ravens (leading the league in rushing attempts the last two years.
The Clemson Tigers also ran the ball a lot more than they passed in 2015, for example.

There's no telling which style is better.
We've seen teams with either style (and others) winning the Super Bowl.

But, you've got a good point, if the Texans are not built to run then why bother running the ball that much on first down.

OptimisticTexan

Who will handling the auction?

OB?
Might as well just give them for free. :corrosion:
We all know that a re-tool, re-build, etc could only be given a go if Cal and Momma Janice agree that it would be in the best interest of the Texans. If they got onboard with this move:

1. They must hire Bill Polian to educate the McNair's. BP could also carry the axe and start swinging which allows the McNair's to enter the bunker and come back out when the smoke clears.

2. Elevate Romeo Crennel to interim HC to finish out the 2020 season. Maintain the current staff but they now know they're coaching for any chance at improving their resume before the new HC is announced. I'm sure more than enough of them would immediately be offered a new job with OB if he lands a new gig.....NFL or CFB.

3. Polian's biggest job would be to help the organization land a young GM with big upside. One of the biggest traits would be having a track record of successful talent evaluation. The candidate that comes to mind is Eliot Wolf, whom many NFL minds think will be the next up and coming GM sooner rather than later. I'm fairly certain if the Texans could land Eliot Wolf he could convince Alonzo Highsmith to come with him. Highsmith is also considered an above average talent evaluator. He might make the jump if Wolf offers him the Asst GM position and to be Director of Player Personnel.

This would be the best FO assembled by the Texans since the idea of bringing football back to Houston came to be. Polian is a savvy HoF GM whose experience would be there for Wolf to lean on when he needs feedback. Primarily, Polian is in the FO to teach Cal and Janice how successful organizations, who win SB's, hire smart football minds to run their team.

4. Wolf and Highsmith would have to evaluate the Texans team personnel and their impact on the cap. They have to know that no player is off-limits when it comes to their roster spot on the team.

5. McNair's want to make a positive out of a re-tool or re-build. Start by apologizing to the fans of Houston for the teams 17 years of mediocrity and let them know that the hiring of Polian and Wolf will initiate a revised approach to building the Texans organization into long term winners. Hail, it'd probably be wise to invite Jim Crane to join them during this announcement and to endorse the new direction. They could call this whatever they wanted. If presented properly the fans of the Houston Texans would get behind this approach and the steps needed to get them there.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
We all know that a re-tool, re-build, etc could only be given a go if Cal and Momma Janice agree that it would be in the best interest of the Texans. If they got onboard with this move:

1. They must hire Bill Polian to educate the McNair's. BP could also carry the axe and start swinging which allows the McNair's to enter the bunker and come back out when the smoke clears.

2. Elevate Romeo Crennel to interim HC to finish out the 2020 season. Maintain the current staff but they now know they're coaching for any chance at improving their resume before the new HC is announced. I'm sure more than enough of them would immediately be offered a new job with OB if he lands a new gig.....NFL or CFB.

3. Polian's biggest job would be to help the organization land a young GM with big upside. One of the biggest traits would be having a track record of successful talent evaluation. The candidate that comes to mind is Eliot Wolf, whom many NFL minds think will be the next up and coming GM sooner rather than later. I'm fairly certain if the Texans could land Eliot Wolf he could convince Alonzo Highsmith to come with him. Highsmith is also considered an above average talent evaluator. He might make the jump if Wolf offers him the Asst GM position and to be Director of Player Personnel.

This would be the best FO assembled by the Texans since the idea of bringing football back to Houston came to be. Polian is a savvy HoF GM whose experience would be there for Wolf to lean on when he needs feedback. Primarily, Polian is in the FO to teach Cal and Janice how successful organizations, who win SB's, hire smart football minds to run their team.

4. Wolf and Highsmith would have to evaluate the Texans team personnel and their impact on the cap. They have to know that no player is off-limits when it comes to their roster spot on the team.

5. McNair's want to make a positive out of a re-tool or re-build. Start by apologizing to the fans of Houston for the teams 17 years of mediocrity and let them know that the hiring of Polian and Wolf will initiate a revised approach to building the Texans organization into long term winners. Hail, it'd probably be wise to invite Jim Crane to join them during this announcement and to endorse the new direction. They could call this whatever they wanted. If presented properly the fans of the Houston Texans would get behind this approach and the steps needed to get them there.
Great ideas ... but...
They're more likely to hire a top rated marketing firm before any of that though. :corrosion: