Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2022 Free Agency Thread

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
At what $$$? I loved Michel coming out of Georgia. But he's been less than special since coming into the league. And RBs that get nicked up usually don't get healthier. I'm a draft your RB kind of guy.
Would have to be a team friendly deal - I can't see Caserio paying big bucks for a depreciating asset.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I put the over/under of ex-Patriots signed at 3.5. Taking the over.
With Lovie and the coaching staff now picking the groceries I'll take the under. I'll parlay that with there will be less rearranging of the Titanic deck chairs in 2022. I'll make this a three-pick parlay, the number of draft picks traded for players only to be cut weeks or months later is under 2. Let's make this a 4 way parlay, the number of contracts to be restructured and cut or traded in the same year, Under 2.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Would have to be a team friendly deal - I can't see Caserio paying big bucks for a depreciating asset.
He will sign for around the vet minimum. This isn't the yr to be trying to draft a bellcow RB. Next yr.when Bijan/Charbonnett etc ... come out is the time to look for the bellcow. Caserio should still look at drafting a RB in the 3rd or later.

If Caserio decides to spend more than vet min on a guy like Mack, I hope he looks at bringing in DeEarnest Johnson. That guy looks like a stud.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
With Lovie and the coaching staff now picking the groceries I'll take the under. I'll parlay that with there will be less rearranging of the Titanic deck chairs in 2022. I'll make this a three-pick parlay, the number of draft picks traded for players only to be cut weeks or months later is under 2. Let's make this a 4 way parlay, the number of contracts to be restructured and cut or traded in the same year, Under 2.
Hopefully Caserio listens to Lovie and gets him the type of players he wants for his defense I also hope Lovie has no say in the picking of players on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully Caserio is making the final calls on draft/fa personnel like Cal said. Otherwise if this isn't in Caserio's contract he should fire his agent immediately. No more of the boardroom crap. I've heard through back channels that it's in Caserio's contract that he's got control over the draft and fa. Lovie has control over the final 53 and staff hiring/GameDay stuff.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Hopefully Caserio listens to Lovie and gets him the type of players he wants for his defense I also hope Lovie has no say in the picking of players on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully Caserio is making the final calls on draft/fa personnel like Cal said. Otherwise if this isn't in Caserio's contract he should fire his agent immediately. No more of the boardroom crap. I've heard through back channels that it's in Caserio's contract that he's got control over the draft and fa. Lovie has control over the final 53 and staff hiring/GameDay stuff.
IMO I believe Lovie will counsel with Pep on selection of offensive players.

What Cal said before Lovie was made HC is not necessarily in effect since Lovie became HC. Things and times have changed. Lovie's contract pretty much demanded it and supersedes Caserio contract. Lovie probably wouldn't be your HC if it wasn't that way. Lovie would not have agreed to be a part of the Caserio/Easterby dumpster fire like David Culley did. If you don't believe that then you can turn in your headphones.

There are 30 million reasons why Nick is not going to raise a stink and is all to happy in his new roll. I think he knew after this last year he was in over his head, was not a manger and glad to be one of the highest paid executives in the league making $5MM a year as an administrator. After (2) debacles of trying to hire a HC even the McNairs knew they had seen enough and understood they had to take these matters into their own hands.

Caserio is in charge of running the draft. That means in consultation with coaches and scouts he will set the draft board. During the draft Caserio will be responsible for fielding and taking calls, presenting any trade up and down offers to Lovie and staff for consideration. If Lovie or staff are thinking about trading up for a player or trading down for more picks, Caserio will advise what it cost to move up and what can be gained from trading down. Lovie and staff will make and pull the trigger on those decisions, as well as what players will be drafted. The coaching staff will be the primary ones making decisions on FA players. Caserio will assist them in making it all happen.

The Board Room is alive and well. The McNairs demand it. It's what Game Boy knows. There will be various and sundry discussions and decisions made that directly affect the football team. Lovie will control the room and the decisions to be made. Game Boy will not go against his new head coach for fear of alienating him. Game Boy knows he has Caserio and Easterby right where he wants them, in charge of their wallets and bank accounts.

I have a much higher degree of confidence that the Deshaun Watson haul will not be pissed away now that Lovie is in charge.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Dont you think drafting a top notch rb in the 2-5 rds help both the defense and the qb?
There isn't a top notch RB in this class. IMHO Good but not too notch.

Tell me from where the Calhoun's sit, would it be better to draft Hall at 37 and miss out on some premium WR/defensive talent.Or draft a guy like Watson at 37 and draft a guy like Robinson or White at 115? Give me option B.

That's unless there's RB's like Bijan or Charbonnett coming out in the 2023 draft, then that's a different conversation.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Ok experts, y’all don’t know if there is a top notch running back in this year’s draft. Have y’all actually watched them or are you going off of YouTube or someone else’s opinion?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Ok experts, y’all don’t know if there is a top notch running back in this year’s draft. Have y’all actually watched them or are you going off of YouTube or someone else’s opinion?
Well I can't speak for anyone else but I DID just shake my magic 8 ball and it said:

"My sources say no" so there you have it.

You can not argue with...
raw.gif

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
IMO I believe Lovie will counsel with Pep on selection of offensive players.

What Cal said before Lovie was made HC is not necessarily in effect since Lovie became HC. Things and times have changed. Lovie's contract pretty much demanded it and supersedes Caserio contract. Lovie probably wouldn't be your HC if it wasn't that way. Lovie would not have agreed to be a part of the Caserio/Easterby dumpster fire like David Culley did. If you don't believe that then you can turn in your headphones.

There are 30 million reasons why Nick is not going to raise a stink and is all to happy in his new roll. I think he knew after this last year he was in over his head, was not a manger and glad to be one of the highest paid executives in the league making $5MM a year as an administrator. After (2) debacles of trying to hire a HC even the McNairs knew they had seen enough and understood they had to take these matters into their own hands.

Caserio is in charge of running the draft. That means in consultation with coaches and scouts he will set the draft board. During the draft Caserio will be responsible for fielding and taking calls, presenting any trade up and down offers to Lovie and staff for consideration. If Lovie or staff are thinking about trading up for a player or trading down for more picks, Caserio will advise what it cost to move up and what can be gained from trading down. Lovie and staff will make and pull the trigger on those decisions, as well as what players will be drafted. The coaching staff will be the primary ones making decisions on FA players. Caserio will assist them in making it all happen.

The Board Room is alive and well. The McNairs demand it. It's what Game Boy knows. There will be various and sundry discussions and decisions made that directly affect the football team. Lovie will control the room and the decisions to be made. Game Boy will not go against his new head coach for fear of alienating him. Game Boy knows he has Caserio and Easterby right where he wants them, in charge of their wallets and bank accounts.

I have a much higher degree of confidence that the Deshaun Watson haul will not be pissed away now that Lovie is in charge.
Not what I was told by a person who should know.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm a Horns fan and I watched a bunch of UCLA football last yr. These guys are special. So is Henderson from Ohio State. He's not eligible to come out for 2 more yrs. Speaking of Ohio State RB's I'm liking Master Teague with one of those 6th Rd picks.

There's a big difference between Hall and Bijan Robinson. One is a really good RB. The other is special.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Not what I was told by a person who should know.
The ACTIONS are speaking a lot LOUDER than the words.

Lovie hired his entire coaching staff without input from Caserio unlike with Culley where Caserio had full control.

Lovie took Caserio's gameday headphones away on a national media podcast.

Lovie has spoken publicly about how he and his coaching staff will be responsible for finding the right players for his systems.

Lovie has publicly said Nick has happily agreed to do whatever Lovie ask him to do.

The Caserio rhetoric has gone from ME and I to WE.

Proof is in the pudding (actions).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Lovie hired his entire coaching staff without input from Caserio unlike with Culley where Caserio had full control.

Lovie has spoken publicly about how he and his coaching staff will be responsible for finding the right players for his systems.

Lovie has publicly said Nick has happily agreed to do whatever Lovie ask him to do.

Agreed,

Finding players to fit Lovie's systems is true.

Making the final calls on personnel is in Caserio's contract. Hiring coaches and being on headsets is not in Caserio's contract, so he wont be doing that anymore. I do hope Caserio takes Lovie's advice when it comes to acquiring players on the defensive side of the ball, since Caserio isn't familiar with the type of players Lovie needs to run his defense. Hopefully Caserio/Pep/McDaniels can collaborate like they did last yr to fill needs on the offensive side of the ball.

Only Calhoun could put himself in the position of having to hire a 63 yr old HC that just got fired from a college program for losing and make him the guy that makes the final calls on personnel. This is why although I've heard differently I'm not discounting what you're saying.

What could ever go wrong and even with death and major change within the org the wheels on the bus continue to go round and round.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame

..or Maybe Lovie isn't a incompetent putz who has to have his hand held like Culley did. Certainly doesn't mean Nick doesn't have final say in player personnel.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Agreed,

Finding players to fit Lovie's systems is true.

Making the final calls on personnel is in Caserio's contract. Hiring coaches and being on headsets is not in Caserio's contract, so he wont be doing that anymore. I do hope Caserio takes Lovie's advice when it comes to acquiring players on the defensive side of the ball, since Caserio isn't familiar with the type of players Lovie needs to run his defense. Hopefully Caserio/Pep/McDaniels can collaborate like they did last yr to fill needs on the offensive side of the ball.

Only Calhoun could put himself in the position of having to hire a 63 yr old HC that just got fired from a college program for losing and make him the guy that makes the final calls on personnel. This is why although I've heard differently I'm not discounting what you're saying.

What could ever go wrong and even with death and major change within the org the wheels on the bus continue to go round and round.
If the Texans trade down from #3, this will be Caserio's decision. The draft responsibility will be Caserio's, but the board will be a team effort.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
so in terms of Free agency, I saw somewhere this morning where Lovie was preferring to get as many players from last year's Houston Texans as possible. Not sure which blurb I saw it though. distracted with real life.

Dejaview

All Pro
so in terms of Free agency, I saw somewhere this morning where Lovie was preferring to get as many players from last year's Houston Texans as possible. Not sure which blurb I saw it though. distracted with real life.
Not a bad idea. He knows them and he knows who plays hard, who can fit his and Pep’s schemes and who therefore will contribute to a TC that should be miles ahead of last year. This will better push the large group of rookies. We hopefully will see some growth from some of them. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that philosophy will mainly be applied to the roster fillers vs taking chances on a new herd of one year contracts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not a bad idea. He knows them and he knows who plays hard, who can fit his and Pep’s schemes and who therefore will contribute to a TC that should be miles ahead of last year. This will better push the large group of rookies. We hopefully will see some growth from some of them. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that philosophy will mainly be applied to the roster fillers vs taking chances on a new herd of one year contracts.
Now is not the time to shop for top tier FA's.

I hope like last yr Caserio can find 4-5 FA's that are above avg players in the lower end of FA. He can sign as many FA's as the cap will allow to find these guys. What I hope Caserio does different is sign some of these guys to 2 yr contracts.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I
There isn't a top notch RB in this class. IMHO Good but not too notch.

Tell me from where the Calhoun's sit, would it be better to draft Hall at 37 and miss out on some premium WR/defensive talent.Or draft a guy like Watson at 37 and draft a guy like Robinson or White at 115? Give me option B.

That's unless there's RB's like Bijan or Charbonnett coming out in the 2023 draft, then that's a different conversation.
I've mentioned a few names before. There are some good young runners available in the free agency who will be cheap for 2 years. Both of TB backs as well as Foreman who was here before. The Texans can probably get those guys for 2 yrs at 4m per year and you still can draft a young back. Buckhead can be your 3rd down / fill in dude.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member

might be an actual free agent
HOUSTON TEXANS
G A.J. Cann: Two years, $10.5 million ($4.5 million fully guaranteed at signing)
Cann played fewer than 775 snaps for the first time in his seven-year career in 2021, with injuries derailing his contract campaign. Cann brings a high floor with him to Houston at the right guard spot, with just one season-long pass-blocking grade below 60.0 prior to 2021.
Grade: Average

Texian

Hall of Fame
I get this and it's how it should be. Caserio's contract says he makes the final calls on personnel from what I've heard.
As I pointed out to you earlier, per Lovie, he and his staff would be responsible for finding the players who fit their systems. BTW I was impressed with Cann liked him in the draft. I like this signing:

Aaron Wilson on Twitter: "New Texans offensive guard A.J. Cann played for new Texans offensive line coach George Warhop with the Jacksonville Jaguars" / Twitter

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As I pointed out to you earlier, per Lovie, he and his staff would be responsible for finding the players who fit their systems. BTW I was impressed with McCann liked him in the draft. I like this signing:

Aaron Wilson on Twitter: "New Texans offensive guard A.J. Cann played for new Texans offensive line coach George Warhop with the Jacksonville Jaguars" / Twitter
Makes sense for Caserio to listen to what the coaches want. Kinda like last yr when Pep/McDaniels gave Caserio info on Mills/Collins. Sign of a good leader is the ability to listen to those in the trenches.

I liked Cann coming out too. He's been a disappointment so far.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Makes sense for Caserio to listen to what the coaches want. Kinda like last yr when Pep/McDaniels gave Caserio info on Mills/Collins. Sign of a good leader admin is the ability to listen to those in the trenches.

I liked Cann coming out too. He's been a disappointment so far.
FIFY

badboy

Hall of Fame
HOUSTON TEXANS
G A.J. Cann: Two years, $10.5 million ($4.5 million fully guaranteed at signing)
Cann played fewer than 775 snaps for the first time in his seven-year career in 2021, with injuries derailing his contract campaign. Cann brings a high floor with him to Houston at the right guard spot, with just one season-long pass-blocking grade below 60.0 prior to 2021.
Grade: Average
I think it's another Cannon type contract hoping he is healthy. More GTD than I want but understand.