Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans’ State Of the Union...

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They should have waited, and traded capital to ensure that they move up in that get one of the QB's in the 2018 draft after they rebuilt the ol.

BTW, DW4 was in the 2017 draft and the Allen draft was in 2018.

I said at the time that I would have traded up in the 2017 draft for Mahomes.
Who wouldnt want to trade up for Mahomes.
I don't think they have the partner and most likely didn't expect the Chiefs to jump ahead of them.
I'm most inclined to think that the trade up to the 12th spot somehow was tied up with the Osweiler's deal.

They can't wait another year with Savage as the starting QB now could they?
How I wish they had done that so BOB got fired that season, LOL.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I said at the time that I would have traded up in the 2017 draft for Mahomes.
But how far were you willing to trade up & what would you have given up to do it?

We know the Texans liked Mahomes. The move to 12 was probably planned before hand to get Mahomes. But things didn't work out that way. Just like we had a trade in place to get Aldon Smith, but he was taken before the slot. We decided to stay put & not trade up for Jj Watt & got him anyway.

I would have thought 12 would have been high enough to get one of the two best QBs in the draft. & when the Bears took Trubisky & I think Arizona passed on QB... I figured they'd both be there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
But how far were you willing to trade up & what would you have given up to do it?

We know the Texans liked Mahomes. The move to 12 was probably planned before hand to get Mahomes. But things didn't work out that way. Just like we had a trade in place to get Aldon Smith, but he was taken before the slot. We decided to stay put & not trade up for Jj Watt & got him anyway.

I would have thought 12 would have been high enough to get one of the two best QBs in the draft. & when the Bears took Trubisky & I think Arizona passed on QB... I figured they'd both be there.

If you really like a QB you dont wait. You trade up to whatever it takes to get your guy. I had Mahomes rated as my top QB in that draft. Since the Texans needed a QB I would've traded up into the top 5 to get QB I liked the most. Same thing happened with missing out on Jimmy G. History just keeps repeating itself.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you really like a QB you dont wait. You trade up to whatever it takes to get your guy. I had Mahomes rated as my top QB in that draft. Since the Texans needed a QB I would've traded up into the top 5 to get QB I liked the most. Same thing happened with missing out on Jimmy G. History just keeps repeating itself.
5?

C'mon.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He was healthy a few times in Miami and they couldn't win. In Tennessee, he's played well. He also have a online that has high draft picks, top 5 rb, and up and coming wr. Also, its been proven that Vrabel is a much better coach. Carry on. Even if people agree or disagree, as long as their can be objectivity in it, we can exchange posts. When guys can't even be objective, there isn't much to say. According to you, when pressed, you said you knew Flacco and Manning were superbowl worthy qbs. When asked about about this last drafted class, you stated Herbert and Burrow, but they play for crappy organizations, yet you won't acknowledge the same with Watson. He is the only young qb in which the offense isn't tailored around him. Jackson, Allen,Mahomes, and Murray all have college looking offenses. All their offenses look alot similar to what the ran in college. Watson offense? The same one Hoyer and all those other scrubs ran.
I just want to bring this back up @steelbtexan to reread.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'm all for them putting in the Ravens offense for DW4. As I've said before it's the offense that I think he can be most successful in. There's a reason no NFL team runs the Clemson offense. Wanna guess why this is?
There's a variety of concepts from that scheme in the NFL. Football in the NFL is a copy cat league, but also with rule changes, coaches adapt and put in their own twists.
Klingsbury's scheme is a version of it.
Just another spread offense with different flavors.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There's a variety of concepts from that scheme in the NFL. Football in the NFL is a copy cat league, but also with rule changes, coaches adapt and put in their own twists.
Klingsbury's scheme is a version of it.
Just another spread offense with different flavors.
There is a big difference between the Leach offense and the Swinney Offense.

I'll answer my question for you, the reason the Clemson offense works in college is OL can block 3 yds down field in the pros you can only block 1 yd downfield. It's a big difference in whether the offense will work or not. Not to mention the RPO in the NFL sets the QB up for more injury risk.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm all for them putting in the Ravens offense for DW4. As I've said before it's the offense that I think he can be most successful in. There's a reason no NFL team runs the Clemson offense. Wanna guess why this is?
Because they don't have a Clemson QB like Watson or Trevor?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There is a big difference between the Leach offense and the Swinney Offense.

I'll answer my question for you, the reason the Clemson offense works in college is OL can block 3 yds down field in the pros you can only block 1 yd downfield. It's a big difference in whether the offense will work or not. Not to mention the RPO in the NFL sets the QB up for more injury risk.
Watch the Chiefs play.
They routinely go beyond one yard to block and were not called.
Or at least on several important situations.
I've read about that a few weeks ago.

But I don't think you realize what the Clemson football scheme really entails.

The RPO concept is different from the zone read.
The later is designed for the QB to be active in the running game.
The RPO's central idea is for the QB to either hand the ball off to the RB or to pull it back and pass.

The ball fake is to lure a certain defender up to the LOS to open up the space behind him for the QB to throw into, let's say a slant by the slot receiver.

And that part of the game is just a small portion of the Tigers' playbook.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The RPO's central idea is for the QB to either hand the ball off to the RB or to pull it back and pass.
Technically untrue.

It was originally a Run Run option.

Today its a Run Run Pass Option.

The Pass part of the option was actually an "accident" that Alex Smith executed at Utah because of a blown defensive assignment.

The basic fundamentals of the RPO are about a numbers advantage in the run game.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Technically untrue.

It was originally a Run Run option.

Today its a Run Run Pass Option.

The Pass part of the option was actually an "accident" that Alex Smith executed at Utah because of a blown defensive assignment.

The basic fundamentals of the RPO are about a numbers advantage in the run game.

Oh, I've seen that video before.
Notice how Myers said "101".
And he was only talking about himself and Alex Smith.

As to the true origin of the RPO, you can go back a long time ago.
The Veer Offense that Bill Yeoman ran at UH back in the 70s was not even the first one with the run run (keeper) pass option concept in it.

The RPO that Sweeny runs at Clemson can be run as a full-on system that encompasses a whole lot more than what we saw in that video, and in the pro game on Sunday.

It may have two backs in the backfield, or a HB/TE, or a receiver in motion either in front or behind the QB (sometimes you may end up with 4 guys in the backfield.)
At other time, you may see them line up in the pistol formation with the RB behind the QB as a change up.

The QB keeper that Urban Myers mentioned is really just a change up as far as the Clemson's offense is concerned (and a small change up at that, if the OC wants to).

They could use all that motion to throw a screen pass to the RB or a tunnel screen to the receiver.
And with the motion of the receiver I had mentioned above, it can be a jet sweep, or the receiver can throw the ball himself.

They build a full playbook out of it, but they can always run the spread offense just like what we used to see on Sunday in years past (before the RPO becomes a novelty anew in the last few years) in conjunction with it.