Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans’ State Of the Union...

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
People think hes GM bc the league forced the team to “name“ one on the spot.

Also, mock me or doubt if you want, i gain nothing or lose nothing by stating this
When did the NFL get the power to force a team to name a GM? As far as I can tell, each franchise can run its organization fairly autonomously as far as titles go.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
When did the NFL get the power to force a team to name a GM? As far as I can tell, each franchise can run its organization fairly autonomously as far as titles go.
They still need to be able to know whos whom. They didnt name an “official “ until the league said so.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Fuller, David Johnson, Stills gone next year and perhaps Watt also will give us cheaper backup moving into starters roles leaving 2021 to bring in another low win season but higher than third round selections in 2022 draft. The correction hopefully starts then. I can see Martin and Roby leaving after 2021 to further reduce cap.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
No one, including me, is accusing you of fabricating things. But I can tell you that I was made aware real-time of the factual inside story behind Mathieu not being re-signed.........and it was not because of O'Brien or Easterby (who didn't join the Texans until April 2019).
No doubt. I didn’t say OB nor Easterby specifically for that reason, haha.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This year I think will be different. The Texans will suck (6-10 or worst) all the time. No DHop, only old and young injury prone receivers and RBs. Before they had some type of offense, this year they will suck. Bill will/may get a bye because of all the injuries. May be his plan to stay another year. McNair may buy it. You are right he has screwed us for the future.
So we get to see Watson wasted as all the other Texans in the past. If their weren't so many idiot owners in the NFL this would easily be the worst run team and still may be.

Just my opinion.
This is going to be the best excuse if DW4 continues to suck.

6 bad games in a row and counting should make people who aren't looking through rose colored glasses take notice.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just stick that in your sig already and update it after every game. No need to keep posting the same thing over and over. We get it.
Thanks for your input.

Dont know how to do the sig thingy.

6 games and counting.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I don’t think it matters if freakin Lombardi or Landry was GM of this team. As long as Cal is bankin it doesn’t matter.

Down two scores and running the ball twice for 4 yards; showing no urgency against the defending Super Bowl champs says all you need to know about the team.

I’m done trying to give OB a pass. I’ve said in the past he may be a good HC if that’s all he did, but after this last loss I’m done.

He should have run up to Kelly and chewed his ass for calling back to back runs down two scores.
“hey! We are down two scores, let’s go! Chuck it, we need points!”

I mentioned it in the game thread, that game had OBs fingerprints all over it. I get it, keep the ball away from Mahomes, but when your team is getting beat like a soapy dick you gotta get busy! And that team never got busy.

I’m afraid to even watch what the Ravens are gonna do Sunday

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They still need to be able to know whos whom. They didnt name an “official “ until the league said so.
Says who? There's no rule, that I can find, that states that an NFL team has to name a GM. Please provide documentation if you want to keep asserting that the league somehow forced the Texans to name a GM.
In the National Football League, the general manager or GM of a team typically controls player transactions and bears the primary responsibility on behalf of the team during contract discussions with players.
The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach.
The general manager will in many cases have oversight of the entire football department, typically reporting to the team president/CEO and/or owner. However, some teams have the GM act in advisory role with the head coach having oversight of the football operations (including the GM).
Some teams (e.g. Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, Houston Texans, Cincinnati Bengals) do not have official general managers instead have a de facto GM. Similar positions include President of Football Operations. Bill Belichick of New England Patriots is an example of a coach who is the de facto general manager; he has never been officially named or granted the title of general manager but he has the final say in football operations. Dave Gettleman, current GM of the New York Giants is an example of a person with the sole title of General Manager.

The Texans have since given Bill O'Brien the official title of GM, but I can find no documentation saying that the decision was forced by the NFL.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I don’t think it matters if freakin Lombardi or Landry was GM of this team. As long as Cal is bankin it doesn’t matter.

Down two scores and running the ball twice for 4 yards; showing no urgency against the defending Super Bowl champs says all you need to know about the team.

I’m done trying to give OB a pass. I’ve said in the past he may be a good HC if that’s all he did, but after this last loss I’m done.

He should have run up to Kelly and chewed his ass for calling back to back runs down two scores.
“hey! We are down two scores, let’s go! Chuck it, we need points!”

I mentioned it in the game thread, that game had OBs fingerprints all over it. I get it, keep the ball away from Mahomes, but when your team is getting beat like a soapy dick you gotta get busy! And that team never got busy.

I’m afraid to even watch what the Ravens are gonna do Sunday
He was running up to Kelly but Kelly wisely turned his back where he had strategically placed a mirror for just this type of situation. OB started by telling the guy in the mirror.....you duckin conservative prick, are you just trying to give this game away you worrrrr__th__less pie__ce of shiiiiiiii.....this is when he realized who he was directing his anger at.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Curious, I started looking at articles about the qualifications of Jack Easterby.

This Houston Chronicle article is enlightening, especially when you learn that Easterby is basically third in the power structure.

The most powerful voice on Kirby Drive, outside of the Texans’ above-named big two. A man who, in just five months, has brought many involved with Houston’s NFL team closer together, but has also left others within the Texans questioning his intentions and wondering how in the world a former chaplain and character coach gained this much pro football power, this fast.
So I have to ask why? Here's O'Brien a year ago from the same article:

“I’ll be honest with you. I knew that he was one of the smartest guys in the business, but I really didn’t know how smart until I was around him — and what a great person he is,” said O’Brien, who first began to bond with Easterby during the 2019 NFL Draft scouting combine in Indianapolis in late February.

“He’s got a great energy about him and he’s very bright. Great organizational knowledge of how to structure an organization,” the sixth-year coach said. “Everything from the cafeteria to the weight room to contracts to roster decisions. He has a good knowledge of football, personnel, skill sets, what we’re looking for. He’s probably — e doesn’t want to be in the media, so he’s not going to be happy with this quote. But he has an in-depth knowledge of a lot of different things relative to football. And then he has a great way about him.”
So I'm still curious about WHY? What qualifications are on this man's resume to run a pro football team?

Then I get to this part:
“Every day, he’s positive. I’ll be honest with you: Every day, I come in here, I’m not always in the best mood, right? This guy’s in the best mood ever, every day,” O’Brien said. “He just brings a lot of energy and a lot of good, positive thoughts to what we’re doing and very deep dives on everything that we’re doing, from a research standpoint. Deep dives.

“He and I work very closely together. We spend more time together than we do with our wives, to be honest with you. We’ve gotten to know each other real well. And we don’t always agree. And when we don’t agree, we figure it out. We may go back into each other’s office — his office, my office — and see who can research it better and try to come up with the best decision.”
I've got to be honest, this is just WEIRD.

And it gets weirder the more you read:

What exactly is Easterby involved in? Everything.

Personnel. Planning. Player pep talks. Daily life conversations, media-access issues and the general, overall state of the Texans.

In public, he prefers to remain in the murky background. But within the Texans, he’s everywhere.
Do other teams have this kind of guy around to cheer up a grumpy head coach?

During two recent media sessions that O’Brien conducted outside of the Texans’ normal press area, Easterby’s hovering presence was noticeable. He’s earned the coach’s trust and confidence, at the same time that the national and local media have loudly questioned the team’s front-office and roster decisions.

Some have criticized Easterby’s hands-on approach and worried about the carte-blanche card he’s been given. Where is all this going and what is the end game?
So maybe O'Brien is the official GM, but it is clear that Easterby is his right hand man. And after reading several articles about the guy, I'm still not sure why.

FireBOB

Waterboy
Every day, he’s positive. I’ll be honest with you: Every day, I come in here, I’m not always in the best mood, right? This guy’s in the best mood ever, every day,” O’Brien said. “He just brings a lot of energy and a lot of good, positive thoughts to what we’re doing and very deep dives on everything that we’re doing, from a research standpoint. Deep dives.
So, he's on Prozac and is good at Google. Yay us!

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Curious, I started looking at articles about the qualifications of Jack Easterby.

This Houston Chronicle article is enlightening, especially when you learn that Easterby is basically third in the power structure.
So I'm still curious about WHY? What qualifications are on this man's resume to run a pro football team?
Then I get to this part:
So maybe O'Brien is the official GM, but it is clear that Easterby is his right hand man. And after reading several articles about the guy, I'm still not sure why.
I hate to be that guy...but this is beginning to sound a lot like a "Brokeback Mountain" kind of relationship between Easterby and OB.

Capture3.JPG

Deep Dives? How deep OB?
Work very closely together? You don't say....
More time together than with your wives? Really?
Gotten to know each other REAL well. Ok...too much information their OB....far too much.
Don't always agree, but figure it out? Starting to sound like an old married couple.
Back into each others office....his office, my office. Ok......definitely more than we needed to know. I can never look at NRG stadium the same again.
:hankpalm:

The heart can do strange things.....like elevate a non-experienced man thru the ranks to the top of an NFL franchise.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Then I get to this part:

If RS can be here for 12 yrs, then Easterby can be here for a decade.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I hate to be that guy...but this is beginning to sound a lot like a "Brokeback Mountain" kind of relationship between Easterby and OB.

View attachment 6623

Deep Dives? How deep OB?
Work very closely together? You don't say....
More time together than with your wives? Really?
Gotten to know each other REAL well. Ok...too much information their OB....far too much.
Don't always agree, but figure it out? Starting to sound like an old married couple.
Back into each others office....his office, my office. Ok......definitely more than we needed to know. I can never look at NRG stadium the same again.
:hankpalm:

The heart can do strange things.....like elevate a non-experienced man thru the ranks to the top of an NFL franchise.
Scary happy guy....
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 4.28.31 PM.png

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Why?

Neither one is/was going to bring a Lombardi to Houston.

Atleast this time there's no doubt who to blame when things go bad.
All I know is if for some reason, Cal called me and asked whether we should retain BOB/Easterby or bring back RS... I wouldn't hesitate. In one season, BOB has made more head-scratching moves than RS did his whole career. (exaggerating of course)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
All I know is if for some reason, Cal called me and asked whether we should retain BOB/Easterby or bring back RS... I wouldn't hesitate. In one season, BOB has made more head-scratching moves than RS did his whole career. (exaggerating of course)
I like the trades GM BOB made.

The signings of Nick Martin/Mercilus/Cunningham not so much by GM BOB.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Texans fans are really special. They suck and they know it, clap your hands, y’all still care. Dumpster fire after dumpster fire still hanging in there, give em your money, even if you can’t go to the games. Man I thought my dog was the most loyal animal anywhere, puts up with my **** but you guys can put up with O’Brians and that takes the cake.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club

Then I get to this part:

]Do other teams have this kind of guy around to cheer up a grumpy head coach?

Yes.
Bill-Belichick-Patriots-Dolphins-9-13-2020-copy.jpg

banned1976

sleeper mode

Then I get to this part:

I’m still trying to figure out how O’Brien got his power. Jack Easterby’s ascension at least makes a little sense. Personally, happy energetic butt kissers annoy me but some people are drawn into their orbit and it appears O’Brien and the McNair’s were drawn in to Easterby like flies to a fresh cow patty. O’Brien, on the other hand, has the personality of a boiled lobster.

The top of the Texans org chart are all in over their heads. The next group is going to have monumental work ahead of them. But I’m not sure the McNair’s have the humility and capacity to admit they need help running this franchise.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m still trying to figure out how O’Brien got his power. Jack Easterby’s ascension at least makes a little sense. Personally, happy energetic butt kissers annoy me but some people are drawn into their orbit and it appears O’Brien and the McNair’s were drawn in to Easterby like flies to a fresh cow patty. O’Brien, on the other hand, has the personality of a boiled lobster.

The top of the Texans org chart are all in over their heads. The next group is going to have monumental work ahead of them. But I’m not sure the McNair’s have the humility and capacity to admit they need help running this franchise.
There appears to be a lot of things that annoy you.

Easterby was hired to do exactly what you are describing.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If RS can be here for 12 yrs, then Easterby can be here for a decade.
Yep, I would not doubt it. Which means this is truly a hopeless situation with Janice & Cal putting a glorified youth counselor as third in charge.

It makes no sense at all from a historically objective evaluation. I read a bunch of articles about him when he was at the Patriots and then whatever I could find about him with the Texans.

It's all whipped cream articles. There's nothing there. He's just some dude that seems to squirm his way into organizations with happy corporate speak and positive platitudes and two organizations seemed to eat it up. But, he was never really given a lot of power with the Patriots. He was useful within their power structure for whatever reason(s).

However, with the Texans, he's got the ears of the owners and HC/GM, so he's helping to make decisions based on his perspectives that ultimately influences the product on the field.

Maybe the Texans will smile a lot when they lose or something. I just don't get it, at all.

You lost me here
I should have added a disclaimer with "enlightening" to include :sarcasm:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Don't have a pick until the third round next year and no significant capspace until 2023.

The next coach will want a longer deal to work through the long rebuild

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
IMO, he did not get good value on any of his trades.
That has yet to be determined. I didn't like the trades on face value, but it's kinda like draft picks. We've gotta see how they pan out before calling them great or bad. OB has all kinds of excuses for anything and everything being a clusterfuck in 2020.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yep, I would not doubt it. Which means this is truly a hopeless situation with Janice & Cal putting a glorified youth counselor as third in charge.

It makes no sense at all from a historically objective evaluation. I read a bunch of articles about him when he was at the Patriots and then whatever I could find about him with the Texans.

It's all whipped cream articles. There's nothing there. He's just some dude that seems to squirm his way into organizations with happy corporate speak and positive platitudes and two organizations seemed to eat it up. But, he was never really given a lot of power with the Patriots. He was useful within their power structure for whatever reason(s).

However, with the Texans, he's got the ears of the owners and HC/GM, so he's helping to make decisions based on his perspectives that ultimately influences the product on the field.

Maybe the Texans will smile a lot when they lose or something. I just don't get it, at all.

I should have added a disclaimer with "enlightening" to include :sarcasm:
I wonder what the Chiefs and Patriots front offices thinks of Easterby's rapid rise with the Texans. Do they laugh, just shake their heads and wonder what are the Texans doing?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
That has yet to be determined. I didn't like the trades on face value, but it's kinda like draft picks. We've gotta see how they pan out before calling them great or bad. OB has all kinds of excuses for anything and everything being a clusterfuck in 2020.
I don't completely agree.

I can buy Tesla stock today for $1000 (currently valued at $440). That's a bad deal. The value can go up to $5000 in a couple of years, but that still doesn't mean I made a good deal at the original purchase.

Texans could have drafted Arian Foster in the first round, despite him being valued as a 7th round pick. Does knowing he had a very good career, now make that a good pick? Or was it still a bad pick, considering they could have just signed him as a UDFA?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Clowney's trade was bad because of the timing. If they know they can't or don't want to accomodate a deal with him, they needed to do the trade before the draft.
Once the draft is done, a number of teams would have already settled their pash rush position either through the dratt or free agency.
That severely limits the prospects, thus losing any leverage.
Martin is just a flash player and a late third rounder has very little chance of becoming an impact player under O'Brien.
Didn't you hear him talk about how difficult it is to draft players?
Dang. He doesn't even trust himself as an evaluator of talent or to develop guys. Remember?
He'd rather have guys like Tunsil, Still, Cobb, and on and on.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Tunsil's trade was just dammmn too expensive to justify anything.
The only way to justify it is with Tunsil actually playing at the value of the contract and the Texans going to the SB, because the trade was done with the "Win-Now" mode on steroid.
And that has very little chance of happening, like next to Nil.