Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Ravens game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Bad.
Looks like OB had too much faith in the OL and opted for slow developing plays with predictable results against a stout pass rush.
The tackling was totally inept - Jackson looked like superman against our inept tackling.
What happened to the nice crisp short passing game we be seeing recently?
Texans looked like they gave up after it went 21-zip.
Can't really blame them with the horrible officiating in this one - I can't recall a more lopsided display by the zebras.
Looked as though they were not prepared for this one - it just got worse as the ga..torture wore on.
Ravens looked like the better team in the first half and proved it in the second.
O'Brien's offense is just too inconsistent and changes from week to week.
I'll open it up.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Bad.
Looks like OB had too much faith in the OL and opted for slow developing plays with predictable results against a stout pass rush.
The tackling was totally inept - Jackson looked like superman against our inept tackling.
What happened to the nice crisp short passing game we be seeing recently?
Texans looked like they gave up after it went 21-zip.
Can't really blame them with the horrible officiating in this one - I can't recall a more lopsided display by the zebras.
Looked as though they were not prepared for this one - it just got worse as the ga..torture wore on.
Ravens looked like the better team in the first half and proved it in the second.
O'Brien's offense is just too inconsistent and changes from week to week.
I'll open it up.
From the sounds of it, Watson is just as inconsistent as O’Brien. Maybe even more so because Watson is so much more capable of greatness whereas we pretty much know O’Brien’s plateau ends at barely above average.

As Watson goes so do the Texans.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
All around bad performance from everyone. 1st time in a long time I've turned off a game before the last second rolled off. I knew it was gonna be a bad day when DW4 fumbled on the 1st drive of the game. Protection went to crap & noone really played well.

BoB's offense seems to fall apart when Fuller isn't on the field...which doesn't look good at all for him. Every year that dude goes down its like the offense struggles to do anything.

Just all around terrible performance. I won't speak on the refs..we all know those calls go both ways on any given sunday...but man that 1st non-PI call, man was that bad officiating.

Oh well, 1 game move on from it. The benchmark for Bob is still do something in the playoffs...

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I missed the "PI call" that I see people keep bringing up as the reason we lost.

Honestly?

IF that is the reason we lost.. an early bogus call that didn't go our way... we deserve to lose as our team is FAR to soft.

Its called adversity, great teams give their fullest to over come it, not enter Eeyore mode "Well, I guess we are just going to lose... I will be over here moping anout not getting my way easily".

Maybe I would feel differently if I saw it.... but I doubt it seriously.

Bad calls happen in life and on the field..... I doubt that Watson gave up after the bad call.... if he did..... we may have already ruined our franchise QB.

Texansballer74

The Marine
From the sounds of it, Watson is just as inconsistent as O’Brien. Maybe even more so because Watson is so much more capable of greatness whereas we pretty much know O’Brien’s plateau ends at barely above average.

As Watson goes so do the Texans.

Can't get going when the defense consistently brought the house. And we had long drawn out plays.

But he was terrible. Should've audible out those plays, knowing the Ravens were blitzing like that.

If we could've burnt them a few times, maybe they would've called the dogs off a bit.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The worst thing about this game is Texans looked deflated after that non PI call early in the 1st.
They were just not competitive in this one.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I missed the "PI call" that I see people keep bringing up as the reason we lost.

Honestly?

IF that is the reason we lost.. an early bogus call that didn't go our way... we deserve to lose as our team is FAR to soft.

Its called adversity, great teams give their fullest to over come it, not enter Eeyore mode "Well, I guess we are just going to lose... I will be over here moping anout not getting my way easily".

Maybe I would feel differently if I saw it.... but I doubt it seriously.

Bad calls happen in life and on the field..... I doubt that Watson gave up after the bad call.... if he did..... we may have already ruined our franchise QB.
No we didn't lose b/c of that, and I agree with you overall, but that call kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth b/c it most certainly would've led to 7 and the game plays out a little differently. We might've still lost, but perhaps the performance isn't as pathetic...& Baltimore is in a different position than they've been...…..behind....really all season.

My whole thing about that call is, If there was ever a precedent to reverse, that was it. & what makes me more angry is that Lonnie Johnson Jr. was called for PI on a much less egregious infraction later in the game. I mean why even have that as an challengeable option if you're not going to overturn even the most obvious of calls............….or non-calls in this situation. It just looks bad for the league.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I placed this in the wrong thread, so putting it here as well.

My take;
1) Watson let the hype of the game get to him over the bye week. He obviously came into this game doing too much and trying to be the better QB on the field.
He kicked things off with a fumble. Then tried to overcompensate for the fumble by looking for the big play, and holding the ball too long in the process.
This allowed the sacks to build, the O-Line to crack, the playcalling to become more desperate, and the defense to tire.

Then you mix in a coaching staff that is already overmatched, and ask them to call a game in which you are already lying in your own grave and the biased refs are already shoveling the dirt over you.

2) After seeing the Browns/Steelers game, it was nice to see these two teams smile, pat backs, and not let emotions get the best of them after such a complete butt whipping filled, lopsided game.

3) Reading the game thread, I truly believe there are a handful of posters here who post simply to irritate the other members

Toro Bravo

Rookie
The better team won. As bad as the officiating in general was, especially the non PI, that is not why we lost. DW4 looked like he tried to do it all himself and BOB and Romeo didn't know how to game plan for the Ravens. As bad as the offense was, the defense was equally awful. If only we had a pass rusher (90). I'm embarrassed to be a Texan fan.

TripleTap

Dead Wood
NOW WE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE

No more kidding around, wishful thinking, hope, wait till next time, no more rebuilding, no more "had a bad game," no more anything.

WE ARE A LOUSY TEAM, POORLY COACHED, DESTINED FOR THE TRASH HEAP.

Let's hope that ownership finally gets a clue and fires O'Brien and starts a search RIGHT NOW for a new coach to take over in 2020.

We must cut off the head of this pathetic excuse for a football team, and we must do it immediately. Delay just means more of the painful same. Let Romeo oversee the remainder of the year.

Do it now.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

My take;
1) Watson let the hype of the game get to him over the bye week. He obviously came into this game doing too much and trying to be the better QB on the field.
He kicked things off with a fumble. Then tried to overcompensate for the fumble by looking for the big play, and holding the ball too long in the process.
This allowed the sacks to build, the O-Line to crack, the playcalling to become more desperate, and the defense to tire.

Then you mix in a coaching staff that is already overmatched, and ask them to call a game in which you are already lying in your own grave and the biased refs are already shoveling the dirt over you.

2) After seeing the Browns/Steelers game, it was nice to see these two teams smile, pat backs, and not let emotions get the best of them after such a complete butt whipping filled, lopsided game.

3) Reading the game thread, I truly believe there are a handful of posters here who post simply to irritate the other members
Wish I could like this post a million times. Completely agree with everything.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The better team won. As bad as the officiating in general was, especially the non PI, that is not why we lost. DW4 looked like he tried to do it all himself and BOB and Romeo didn't know how to game plan for the Ravens. As bad as the offense was, the defense was equally awful. If only we had a pass rusher (90). I'm embarrassed to be a Texan fan.
Pass rush wasn't the issue for the defense..they weren't really rushing LJ8 anyway. The defense was just gassed imo.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Takeaways? I skipped the Texans for the 10th time this season so my “Takeaway” from this one was “Sure glad I didn’t waste my afternoon watching Bill O’Brien tend Cal’s dumpster fire”

Texans still suck. Ravens and every other truly good team in the NFL feeds on these bottom-feeders whenever they meet.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I ask this seriously, is there a single positive to take away from this game?
We found out this is a hot and cold team. There is no turnaround.

Watson is inconsistent and that may fall on OB. His errors can be fixed with a better HC. You know - the OC with the Ravens might be a hot commodity. Just saying.

OB is a better GM than HC/OC/QB Whisperer. But he was hired to be the later.

Time to abandon the rebuild, and bring in someone who can help improve Watson.

banned1976

sleeper mode

My take;

On #3, some people enjoy saying “I told ya so” even at the expense of watching their own team lose.

From my vantage point if Watson is as bad as some here believe, or secretly hope, there is absolutely no hope the Texans win anything meaningful for the next 3 years or so. He is our only chance because the Texans are talented enough to win enough games to prevent them from drafting high enough to find a franchise quarterback.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
On #3, some people enjoy saying “I told ya so” even at the expense of watching their own team lose.

From my vantage point if Watson is as bad as some here believe, or secretly hope, there is absolutely no hope the Texans win anything meaningful for the next 3 years or so. He is our only chance because the Texans are talented enough to win enough games to prevent them from drafting high enough to find a franchise quarterback.
I don’t believe people believe Watson is bad or want him to play poorly. However, people have put him on a pedestal so high because they think there is nothing wrong with him. #jesusincleats comes to mind. That’s the stupidest thing I have heard since OB was granted an extension.

Watson has areas he needs to improve on. That is not debatable.

If you started a poll of who to keep - Watson or OB, it would be 100% Watson.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
My opinion is that Watson is, or at least can be one of the best to ever do it.

However he is coming from successful college heroics and still thinks he can do it all alone. And yes....sometimes he can. But in these gamed against good teams he needs to learn to trust the process and the team around him.

And no...this isn't all on Watson. OB needs to have the fortitude to see what is happening and calm his QB down, OB needs to take charge. All too often I think he has given control to Watsons greatness and we live and die by Watson success. It is on the coaching staff to harness Watsons skills into a finely tuned weapon. If they can't do it....we need a coaching staff who can.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
You do realize that while Watson has been the quarterback for the Texans, in the games he has started, not one of the losses in the 3 regular seasons he has played in were lost by more then 7 points? Yet you're predicting the Texans lose by 14 in this one.
And yes. We can realistically expect to win this one.
My error. I should have predicted a greater spread. The previous losses being limited to 7 points was just the luck of the draw.
They were hot and we were cold or the score would have been more respectable. But we never had a chance to win the game.

mws

Rookie
The O'Brian coached Texans have lost 9 games by 20 points or more.

The game today was the second worst beating the Texans have taken in the O'Brian era.

12/17/2017 Texans 7 Jaguars 45 - Margin of Defeat: 38
11/17/2019 Texans 7 Ravens 41 - Margin of Defeat: 34
01/09/2016 Texans 0 Chiefs 30 - Margin of Defeat: 30
12/25/2017 Texans 6 Steelers 34 - Margin of Defeat: 28
09/22/2016 Texans 0 Patriots 27 - Margin of Defeat: 27
10/04/2015 Texans 21 Falcons 48 - Margin of Defeat: 27
11/12/2017 Texans 7 Rams 33 - Margin of Defeat: 26
09/10/2017 Texans 7 Jaguars 29 - Margin of Defeat: 22
12/13/2015 Texans 6 Patriots 27 - Margin of Defeat: 21

There in no excuse for a team to come out of the bye looking this flat. We could barely score in garbage time. To quote Jed Clampett "pitiful...just pitiful".

Omerta

Waterboy
I dont need to recap the game, most of you saw it.

Here are my takeaways

1.) As always Texans fans are gracious hosts. You guys really are a great fanbase and if it were not for the Ravens, I would be sitting here losing my **** with you. I appreciate the hospitality from ALL of you.

2.) I am glad there are no really serious injuries and that DW4 is ok after that hit, and I hope your secondary men recover well.

3.) My only jab. I think you guys gave up Waaaaaaaaaaaay to much for Tunsil. He was frequently getting abused by a rookie. to give up 2 1sts and a 2nd, that is steep for a decent but not great tackle.

In any event a game like this there is no point in assigning blame, when you lose like that everyone is culpable. That said, it is how you respond. We got blown out by the Browns, but we bounced back. If you look at the two teams trajectories after that I dont think many would argue that the Browns beat the Ravens now. If you guys beat Indy and the Pats then you are now the second seed and in good shape.

Last edited: