Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Falcons game.

Scooter

Funky
Over under at 42 times you repeat this over the next 6 days. Any bets?
Over (with 900 upcoming posts, easy bet). I'm just glad he saved us with the great idea to not run O'Brien's offense and instead go with something that works. 6th year of people saying the same thing in the 'Fire O'Brien' thread, but only one man had the brains to twist it to the QB being the problem - saved again by an offensive guru.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Did we get a sack today?

Duke has no burst to get through the line. He's got a slow build to his speed you wouldn't expect from a small guy.

OL, saw some good. Saw some bad. I know they're still learning to play together but you'd think if the Falcons only have one guy worth planning for, you'd do a better job of it.

Speaking of which I saw Martin doing a lot of pointing today. Is he now calling protection?
I thought Duke did a fine job running the ball. 9-59 long of 24. That's 6.6 ypc and 4.3 if you take his 24 yd run away. Hyde was the one with no burst or vision today. Why isn't anyone complaining about Hyde only having 2.9 ypc?
I am hopeful with what I saw from the OL. Scharpie needs to clean up those penalties. He had a rough game.
How about them TEs?

jshabang

Quality Backup!
I don’t know what to think........ I really don’t....... but what I do know is we have all this talent and this is what we should look like week in and week out and be able to beat anybody....... I’m not Sure if we have turned the corner finally or if Atlanta is that bad....... I just wish somehow O Brien could bottle this up and make sure we consistently play like this all the time........ amazing what using the middle of the field and taking what the defense gives you sometimes instead of extending every play trying to homerun will get you huh????

Jshabang out

mws

Rookie
This was a great day for Watson. He scored a "perfect passer rating" of 158.3.

Here is some general info on how QBR is calculated.

In the National Football League (NFL), the highest official passer rating that a quarterback can achieve is 158.3, which is called a "perfect passer rating". To qualify, during a single game a quarterback must attempt at least 10 passes, have zero interceptions, have a minimum completion percentage of 77.5%, have a minimum of 11.88% of their passes score touchdowns, and have a minimum of 12.5 yards per attempt.

Seven quarterbacks have achieved the feat more than once: Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning have four; Kurt Warner has three; and Craig Morton, Dave Krieg, Ken O'Brien, and Tom Brady have two.

D. Watson 28-33 84.8%, 426 YDS, 5 TD, 158.3 QBR

Of course he is 1 of 3 this year. Dak Prescott & Lamar Jackson both did it on opening day.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why isn't anyone complaining about Hyde only having 2.9 ypc?
Didn't know that was the case. I hadn't looked at the stats, just commenting on what I saw. Duke had a fine game. I hadn't noticed a lack of burst, which was obvious today.

Scharping, smh... the penalties were one thing but most likely caused because he was getting whupped. He needs to clean that up. 97 was a beast though.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I thought Duke did a fine job running the ball. 9-59 long of 24. That's 6.6 ypc and 4.3 if you take his 24 yd run away. Hyde was the one with no burst or vision today. Why isn't anyone complaining about Hyde only having 2.9 ypc?
I am hopeful with what I saw from the OL. Scharpie needs to clean up those penalties. He had a rough game.
How about them TEs?
Hyde seems to fall forward when needed though, he's taking all of the short yardage snaps and they have the confidence in him to get across the gain line.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I don't think they went back to what they ran in Watson's rookie year. I believe they finally mixed in the short game to help open up everything else. Plus help keep Watson upright while keeping it simple for the offensive line. Those long developing plays early on were getting Watson killed.

Smart move, hopefully they keep it up from this point going forward.

Max

Veteran
I don't think they went back to what they ran in Watson's rookie year. I believe they finally mixed in the short game to help open up everything else. Plus help keep Watson upright while keeping it simple for the offensive line. Those long developing plays early on were getting Watson killed.

Smart move, hopefully they keep it up from this point going forward.
Agreed. This was the same offense w/ an emphasis on shortening routes w/ quicker primary targets. Getting 4 yards on 1st down runs helped immensely as well. It's not always going to look as good as it looked today, but today showed what the short game can do for getting our offense into rhythm which is all the difference.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Also really enjoyed the multiple formations, personnel combinations and play design used today.

Fuller is by far the most dangerous receiver on the team, not the best in all respect to Hopkins, but the most dangerous.

Anytime he is on the field, the defense has to react and even then one slight hesitation and Fuller is gone.
After today I’m calling him Mr Fuller.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Don’t know if this is true or false but SOMETHING SURE WAS DIFFERENT TODAY....... it didn’t look like the school yard pee wee pop Warner **** O Brian been calling all season
That guy looked like he knew what he was doing. I wonder if we can get a person to manage the timeouts next and keep OB next to Cal in the suite.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Didn't know that was the case. I hadn't looked at the stats, just commenting on what I saw. Duke had a fine game. I hadn't noticed a lack of burst, which was obvious today.

Scharping, smh... the penalties were one thing but most likely caused because he was getting whupped. He needs to clean that up. 97 was a beast though.
OB and Devlin, in their "infinite wisdom", played Scharpie on the R side all off season and Howard on the L all off season. Naturally, they are best suited for the opposite side. I mean, why want to get a guy used to one side over the other?
I thought Duke did a good job of taking what was there and was rather shifty in the scrum. Much more so than Hyde.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Blackson?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Nice to see intentional short passing. Nice to see stacks. Nice to see the OL move the LOS on running downs. Nice to see Triple B defense make plays when needed.

didn’t play down to the competition. Good game to build on - that means add to - not go back to what we were doing before.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I hope the light has come on for OB that maybe

his playbook needs to accomodate the skill set of his players, not force them to become something they are not.

Let this be the first step in the evolution of a new offensive direction.
yes.... hope springs eternal.
Attending my first game of the year and they put up a 50 burger. You’re welcome Texan nation.
You're going to KC, right...?
...right???

or does this trick of yours only work once?
:D

TejasTom

All Pro
Did we get a sack today?

Duke has no burst to get through the line. He's got a slow build to his speed you wouldn't expect from a small guy.

OL, saw some good. Saw some bad. I know they're still learning to play together but you'd think if the Falcons only have one guy worth planning for, you'd do a better job of it.

Speaking of which I saw Martin doing a lot of pointing today. Is he now calling protection?
Watt got a sack
Reader got a sack too.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Watson can play and do it all if given the right plays. The line continues to get better. It's all on the coaching in my
Opinion. I needed this game and so did the players. Let's see how the Chiefs do after hopefully getting beaten up but beating the Colts
at least the chiefs seem to be getting beat up with my homie limping significantly. Colts leading by 3 beginning of the fourth quarter. I'm still rooting for KC.

mws

Rookie
One thing I noticed is the Falcons did not blitz much. In fact on Fuller's 2nd TD, Fells TD, & Fuller's 3rd TD they only rushed 3. That is probably one reason Watson was not sacked in this game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
at least the chiefs seem to be getting beat up with my homie limping significantly. Colts leading by 3 beginning of the fourth quarter. I'm still rooting for KC.
Missing Fisher, this is what a team without a talented LT looks like.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
We're gonna have to get up early and run well to beat kc.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Missing Fisher, this is what a team without a talented LT looks like.[/QUOTE

K C has had major injuries with Mahomes leg and one of the defensive players just got carted off the field. So based upon our injuries we may have a pretty good chance next week. So we are still tied for first place as Colts upset Chiefs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes they're still tied and really need to look like the offense they were today next Sunday.