Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Colts game.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I had to rewind to double check that I saw what I saw but that RT declared himself an eligible receiver not once, not twice, but 3 FREAKING TIMES! How the refs missed that I have no idea

They were clearly on a agenda yesterday. That agenda was to make sure the Colts won.

I'm really starting to hate both football and basketball. The refs in both leagues has too much stroke. They can easily dictate the outcome of these game.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They were clearly on a agenda yesterday. That agenda was to make sure the Colts won.

I'm really starting to hate both football and basketball. The refs in both leagues has too much stroke. They can easily dictate the outcome of these game.
They tried to do that in baseball, but most of that is out of their control. A home run is a home run so they really can't skew that. Only thing they tried to do was manipulate the strike zone.

The officiating during the Colts game was awful.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
They tried to do that in baseball, but most of that is out of their control. A home run is a home run so they really can't skew that. Only thing they tried to do was manipulate the strike zone.

The officiating during the Colts game was awful.
They fked us against the REd Sox last year. But not only do I follow the gist, I wholeheartedly support it. Giving coaches the ability to challenge NON CALLS???? Crazy stuff. Like Belichek said 'why dont coaches just throw a flag on every single play?' ... basketball has the KNOWN game fixers within the ranks.

We'll always have the Dynamo and the 'PURE' sport that is soccer! LOL

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Watson still has some improving to do. Made some really poor choices in this game. Didn’t see several wide open players.

Way too many penalties. Some that were really stupid. This needs to be fixed. That’s coaching.

Don’t have the stats to back it but sure looked like RAC started dialing up the pressure in the third quarter. Even though we weren’t getting sacks we were putting brisket on his back, a lot. It seemed that it really started to effect him. I don’t understand why RAC doesn’t do that more. It’s clearly more effective than the bend don’t break defense that doesn’t stop any decent QB. For the love of god OB needs to step up and tell RAC to stop being a *****.

Color me unimpressed with kiki.

Fuller needs to go. Maybe some WR starved team will give us a decent CB for him. Kenny Stills is more than adequate in his spot
Only post in this entire thread worth noting. 1st game in a long time I was screaming at my TV. 1st for the stupid & ridiculous called penalties. 2nd, for Crennel to start blitzing Brissett. Also really tired of the NFL letting offenses get away with these "rub" route concepts. Its clear those middle WR's in those bunch formations aren't really trying to run routes. Their main focus is to get in the way of the defensive player. That's all Indy ran yesterday. The NFL needs to start cracking down on that crap or at the very least balance it out on the defensive side with certain parameters.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Only post in this entire thread worth noting. 1st game in a long time I was screaming at my TV. 1st for the stupid & ridiculous called penalties. 2nd, for Crennel to start blitzing Brissett. Also really tired of the NFL letting offenses get away with these "rub" route concepts. Its clear those middle WR's in those bunch formations aren't really trying to run routes. Their main focus is to get in the way of the defensive player. That's all Indy ran yesterday. The NFL needs to start cracking down on that crap or at the very least balance it out on the defensive side with certain parameters.

A
There's a lot of valid points that's very worthy on this thread.

Now to your complaints, I agree 100%. This stuff is getting completely out of hand. This is the only way the Colts can beat us.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Is it Vegas if there is some lean to fix games? I would think the NFL would want a bigger city and star power of Texans versus Indy. I have long felt there was a lean, but I could see if a lot of money comes in on the Texans with a 1 point spread, they kick the refs a little to help. I sure hope the game is not fixed, but games like yesterday where the holds happen every play seemed to always be on third and long, the had to protect DW4 TD, the Lumberjack not reporting, come on, that was all BS. We did hold receivers, but every third down? What about their line, come on man. Maybe the storyline is written and we will rise from the ashes and make a historic run behind our young star......

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Hey everyone, hope you all are doing well.

Well, my son and I made the yearly trip to Indy to watch the game yesterday and all I heard from him and my buddies who follow the Texans was:
We are NOT losing to the Colts. Well...... Um......

While I have not watched as many Texans game as all of you, I have caught several this season and haven't missed this game in Indy in about 5-6 years.
This was by far the most uninspired I have seen this team play in a while. Yes, the officiating left a lot to be desired, but so did the play of the team.
I have no idea why, but they didn't seem to be very into the game.

We had great seats, got a ton of signatures and loot, but didn't leave with the "W".

Oh well, fear not my Texans friends, you could be like my beloved Bengals who have made it their personal mission to redefine the word: SUCK...

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I feel like reputations leave refs with certain predilections..Impossible not to really. I mean surely that can't be holding on JJ......Indy's o-line is just good...JJ's just campaigning for a call.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
If the rub routes and pick plays are staples of today’s passing game and the refs are not calling interference, why are the Texans not taking advantage of this? Has the media even asked O’Brien? Does rub routes taint the purity of O’Brien potent version of the EP system?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If the rub routes and pick plays are staples of today’s passing game and the refs are not calling interference, why are the Texans not taking advantage of this? Has the media even asked O’Brien? Does rub routes taint the purity of O’Brien potent version of the EP system?
In many ways our receivers aren’t good fits for it. Stills and Fuller are both speedsters so they would have to actually slow down and either stay with each other or slower players. Hopkins already gets double teamed a lot so it wouldn't really help him. We could do more with the TEs on it but that would be a complex play. There is Coutee but........ yeah. The biggest advantage of rub routes is in the red zone where it’s easy to get lots of guys in the same place.

The ironic part of that is Houston is actually top 5 in the red zone and was actually I believe number 1 before the Colts game so it wouldn’t have helped that much.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Pats , Ravens , Chiefs , Colts , Bills , Texans.

Currently the Pats are #1 , Ravens #2 would have byes.

The Texans are the 2nd wildcard team as it stands now.

They went from #2 to #6 with this loss.
But they're an inferior team. An inferior team won't win the division.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Every time they lose a game it’s the same old talking points.
Nah. Usually I'm complaining about our team not being prepared. Like turning the ball over on our first two possessions.

After this game... not so much. We lost to a division rival on the road. Well, if it were the Titans or the Jags I'd be upset. But the Colts probably win 11 games this year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The colts are definitely good. 4-2 is their best start since 2014. Heck they started 1-5 last year. This colts team is much better than last year at winning close games and nor beating themselves. Besides their two questionable plays the 4th and 1 play call and the fluke fumbled snap they are starting to gel.
The texans are also a good team that should make the playoffs.
Well you don't have Andrew Luck giving the ball away all the time. (He did improve on that last season). With the way your team is built now all you have to worry about now is health.

I wonder how Brissett would do without Mack.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We've been running rubs & picks this year. We've also been using stacked & bunched receiver sets to achieve similar results.

One of the main reasons I haven't been complaining about BO'bs scheme this year.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
But they're an inferior team. An inferior team won't win the division.

The same team you said would win 12 games is inferior ?

I thought they'd win 12 too …. but they have already lost to two teams I thought they should beat.

And really , they should beat the Dolts minus Luck - Brissett is a good backup but not a starting caliber NFL QB.

They played poorly on both sides of the ball - penalties were rampant …. the Dolts were gifted 5 first downs by penalty - the Texans got down inside the 10 , first and goal and ended up with 4th and 30ish?

And we haven't even mentioned the safety or clock management yet.

This team never really seems prepared out of the starting gate and is one of the most penalized in the league. That's on OB and Co.

I wish OB would resign …. that's about the only way we're getting rid of him cause Cal aint gonna pay him to go away.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club

I thought they'd win 12 too …. but they have already lost to two teams I thought they should beat.

And really , they should beat the Dolts minus Luck - Brissett is a good backup but not a starting caliber NFL QB.

They played poorly on both sides of the ball - penalties were rampant …. the Dolts were gifted 5 first downs by penalty - the Texans got down inside the 10 , first and goal and ended up with 4th and 30ish?

This team never really seems prepared out of the starting gate and is one of the most penalized in the league. That's on OB and Co.

I wish OB would resign …. that's about the only way we're getting rid of him cause Cal aint gonna pay him to go away.
PLEASE!!!
Do not, post "resign" and "OB" in the same post.

Cal might see the fans all on board with the idea of an OB resign and think we all want him to re-sign to an extension.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Do you remember the 1st qtr TD that wasn't. Changed the game. How about the defensive holding penalty in the 1st half when there was neither a Texan or Colt player was in the area and the ref didn't give the players number the holding penalty was on?

They got Indy'ed plain and simple. You've seen this act plenty of times before. Getting Indy'ed and Watson having a bad game doomed the Texans.

Texanstradamus

Practice Squad
The games where O'Brien trusts Deshaun are the ones the Texans win. The games where he waits until they're in a huge hole before giving Deshaun the reins are the ones the Texans lose. The Texans won't win anything until Bill lets Deshaun play his game from the opening whistle instead of this conservative play calling. Deshaun thrives when they're aggressive and up tempo. This slow it down style doesn't work.

Running on first down is something that irritates me also we need to mix it up more and that is another thing Tempo they don’t go uptempo until they are behind the whole control the clock thing is fine against elite QBs but teams that need to have the lead like the colts it’s best to try and put them behind early with more tempo

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

My point is if the Colts go on to win the division, they are not the inferior team. The rest of your post pretty much says they weren't the inferior team.

I still think the Texans will win 12 games. I don't know how, but I don't know how half the sit that goes on on Kirby happens, so...

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
the whole control the clock thing is fine against elite QBs but teams that need to have the lead like the colts it’s best to try and put them behind early with more tempo
I really love this comment. Play keep away from the good qbs/offenses and uptempo early scores against the bad or average ones. Hope we know the difference and fix this slow start bs we've been dealing with.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If the Texans are inferior after mortgaging the future to the colts who had luck retire at the last second, then multiple people should be fired for incompetence

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If the Texans are inferior after mortgaging the future to the colts who had luck retire at the last second, then multiple people should be fired for incompetence
Continuing on with the lie that the Texans have mortgaging their future. Even though it's been proven to you many times this is a falsehood.

If losing a 1st/2nd rd pick in 2021 is mortgaging the future then this franchise is doomed.

Is Tunsil worth a 2020/2021 1sts? Yes IMHO

Is Stills/2020 4-1 and 2021 6th worth a 2021 2nd? Yes IMHO

Is a former guy that was drafted in the 1st and probably would've been a top 15 pick without false allegations worth a 2020 3rd? Who knows, but I like the talent and the gamble.

Last edited:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Continuing on with the lie that the Texans have mortgaging their future. Even though it's been proven to you many times this is a falsehood.

If losing a 1st/2nd rd pick in 2021 is mortgaging the future then this franchise is doomed.

Is a former guy that was drafted in the 1st and probably would've been a top 15 pick without false allegations worth a 2020 3rd? Who knows, but I like the talent and the gamble.
Yes the franchise is doomed. You don't trade that many picks unless you can win a super bowl this year and the Texans are nowhere close

Aaron Pitman

Practice Squad

You really have no idea what you’re talking about do you?
Brissett has thrown for one less TD pass than the 2 leaders and played ONE LESS GAME on a RUN HEAVY TEAM!

Go read any article and you’ll see the experts say this is the best Colts roster since 2009. They will win the south while us Texans fans are left to wonder how we will ever beat them when their team is fully functional.

Indianapolis radio stations all week had big name guests in studio talking about how the Colts are better equipped to make a run at the Super Bowl than the Texans.

This isn’t Kerry Collins leading the Colts, this is a dude who has 14 TD on 3 INT with a 101.0 rating. That’s not a bad QB. Consecutive wins over KC and the Texans.

He’s not better than DW4, but stop sitting around bitching that we were screwed. Get used to it. The Colts are going to be the thorn in our side for a long time to come. The defense had nothing but starters in years 1-3, and the offense’s oldest player is TY Hilton. In 4 weeks, the Colts will beat us again while holding a 3-game lead with 5 to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You really have no idea what you’re talking about do you? Brissett has thrown for one less TD pass than the 2 leaders and played ONE LESS GAME on a RUN HEAVY TEAM!

Go read any article and you’ll see the experts say this is the best Colts roster since 2009. They will win the south while us Texans fans are left to wonder how we will ever beat them when their team is fully functional.

Indianapolis radio stations all week had big name guests in studio talking about how the Colts are better equipped to make a run at the Super Bowl than the Texans.

This isn’t Kerry Collins leading the Colts, this is a dude who has 14 TD on 3 INT with a 101.0 rating. That’s not a bad QB. Consecutive wins over KC and the Texans.

He’s not better than DW4, but stop sitting around bitching that we were screwed. Get used to it. The Colts are going to be the thorn in our side for a long time to come. The defense had nothing but starters in years 1-3, and the offense’s oldest player is TY Hilton. In 4 weeks, the Colts will beat us again while holding a 3-game lead with 5 to go.
Tx City Ballard is great.

Hope your wrong.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So you think they could draft better players than they received in those trades in those rd?

If so I strongly disagree.

The 2018 draft doomed the franchise in your mind too I bet.
A better coach and GM can definitely do more with the picks and capspace. This team is nowhere near contending

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Almost 48 hours after the game, and my gut feeling is LOW EXPECTATIONS. Avoid the inevitable disappointment and expect very little from this team. And I'm talking even at the entertainment level. It was not a fun game to watch, much less enjoy.

We can (and will) gripe about the refs, the play calling, the sloppy penalties, the missed opportunities, etc., but the end result is still the same: mediocrity.

O'Brien's team comes out of the locker room sluggish (both at the beginning and after halftime). It is one of the few (if only) consistent characteristics of this team. To me, that speaks volumes.

They should not look like they are 'in over their heads' against a team like Indy, but they did. They were out coached and outplayed. This is not a team that will put up much of a fight in the playoffs, provided they can even get in.

Frank Reich is building a machine in Indy. I thought they would take a step back after losing Luck, but they've built a good team that just about any competent QB can run it (I'm not convinced that Brissett is an elite talent, in spite of being undefeated against the Texans).

Solid fundamentals and consistency were on display from the Colts side of things. I'd admire it more if it wasn't so aggravating to watch our team suffer from a lack of it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He had a more talented team the day he walked in the door …. other than the QB position.

This roster has gone downhill since - Watson and Bullwinkle … watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat.
An aging roster doesn't make a more talented team.

Gone downhill? I would say they have the most talented team since 2011, (Which not coincidencely is the last time the Texans org has been aggressive.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
An aging roster doesn't make a more talented team.

Gone downhill? I would say they have the most talented team since 2011, (Which not coincidencely is the last time the Texans org has been aggressive.

This roster is not as good top to bottom as the team OB inherited. They are better at ONE position - Quarterback.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
This roster is not as good top to bottom as the team OB inherited. They are better at ONE position - Quarterback.
Folks here perenially overate that 2011 team. This team is at least as good as that 2011 team..... talent wise. This current iteration of the Texans are better at QB, WR & D-line. You could also make a case that they're better in a few other spots too. The only place that 2011 team was clearly better is at RB, Secondary and o-line. Everywhere else is a push that could go either way.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Folks here perenially overate that 2011 team. This team is at least as good as that 2011 team..... talent wise. This current iteration of the Texans are better at QB, WR & D-line. You could also make a case that they're better in a few other spots too. The only place that 2011 team was clearly better is at RB, Secondary and o-line. Everywhere else is a push that could go either way.
If true then that's pretty damning on the coaching

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

That team had a better defensive front , better LBers , better Secondary , better at TE and the entire OL , RB and If anything WR is a push.

That team was a Matt Schaub injury away from a Superbowl - this scrub team isn't even close with Jesus In Cleats at QB.

Front 7 -
DE Antonio Smith
DE J.J. Watt
NT Shaun Cody
LB Connor Barwin
LB Brian Cushing
LB Brooks Reed
LB DeMeco Ryans
LCB Kareem Jackson
RCB Johnathan Joseph
SS Glover Quin
FS Danieal Manning

RB
Arian Foster
WR Andre Johnson
WR Kevin Walter
TE Owen Daniels
LT Duane Brown
LG Wade Smith
C Chris Myers
RG Mike Brisiel
RT Eric Winston

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @riversmccown: Texans ran just 25% of last week's snaps in 12-personnel. Had problems running out of it. 1.7 yards per carry versus 6.4 yards per carry in 11-personnel.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Do you remember the 1st qtr TD that wasn't. Changed the game. How about the defensive holding penalty in the 1st half when there was neither a Texan or Colt player was in the area and the ref didn't give the players number the holding penalty was on?

They got Indy'ed plain and simple. You've seen this act plenty of times before. Getting Indy'ed and Watson having a bad game doomed the Texans.
This and add the annual injury to Fuller. That had to affect the game plan. I haven’t seen anyone give any mention to that.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That team had a better defensive front , better LBers , better Secondary , better at TE and the entire OL , RB and If anything WR is a push.

That team was a Matt Schaub injury away from a Superbowl - this scrub team isn't even close with Jesus In Cleats at QB.

Lol, this scrub team put up a better record than that 2011 team did last year & didn't even have all of the pieces it has now.

Front 7 -
DE Antonio Smith - For all his ninja antics that everyone loved, he wasn't a special player...Scarlett/Omenihu makes about as many plays as he did a game now & they split time.
DE J.J. Watt - He wasn't what he is now back then...He didn't even come on until late in the season.
NT Shaun Cody - Reader is better than Cody imo
LB Connor Barwin - Mercy is about what Conner was
LB Brian Cushing - Mckinney is about what Cushing was
LB Brooks Reed - He was a rook...& he wasn't anything special then or after.
LB DeMeco Ryans - Zach Cunningham is about what Ryans was at that point...dude got traded the next year
LCB Kareem Jackson - agreed
RCB Johnathan Joseph - agreed
SS Glover Quin -agreed
FS Danieal Manning -agreed

RB
Arian Foster - agreed
WR Andre Johnson - beast..but he was 1 guy..& he wasn't quite himself ever again after that injury
WR Kevin Walter - scrub
LT Duane Brown - agreed
LG Wade Smith - agreed
C Chris Myers - agreed
RG Mike Brisiel - agreed
RT Eric Winston - agreed

Lol at WR being a push. Jacoby Jones & Kevin Walter were scrubs compared to Stills, Coutee and yes even Fuller. The narrative even back then was "can't we find someone better than Walters to take some of the pressure off of AJ?" That 2011 team had a hobbled AJ and that was pretty much it.

TE Owen Daniels - nothing special at TE..Both Fells and Akins both could wind up seeing the same numbers Daniels put up in 2011..both already have as many TD's as he had all of that season...& we know that at least 1 of these guys is a better blocker than Daniels ever was. If anything those guys have shown to be at least as good.
As for the rest.....See in your quote.

This is the same fallacy Rockets fans fell into with the whole Chris Paul injury thing. "we were 1 hamstring away from going to the finals"...stop it. As was the case with the Rockets, things lined up for the Texans the exact same way the next year & they got thumped/embarrassed.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Do we have any LBs? We used to have LBs who got sacks, INTs, & seemed to be everywhere.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
our injuries are mounting are secondary is getting younger and not by of our own will

i was thinking cool roby and J joe are out maybe anyone younger might be a upgrade ...but i guess time will tell in the raiders and jags games

also seeing Andre and Cushing on the sidelines anymore injuries maybe they could suit up again LOL

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Care to tell me where they were more talented?

QB DW4. Schaub and Schaub was the handpicked QB.
RB AF > Hyde but AF was breaking down and you couldn't depend on him to play a full season.
WR- An aging AJ + Walter < Hopkins/Stills/WFV/Coutee

OL Myers > Martin although he only played 1 more season before retiring.
W.Smith> Scharping but Wade only played 2 more seasons and Scharping is going to be as good as Wade.
Tunsil= DB, or will be soon.
Brooks> Fulton
Howard> Newton.

The defense is about the same on the DL, LB's now > LB's then CB's Depends about what you think of Roby/KJax S Now > then

So tell me where all of this great talent was that was left behind? The best talent that was left behind was aging.

I think we can agree that this is the most talented team since 2011.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
PFF still ranks the Texans #9.

9. HOUSTON TEXANS
Last Week: 6th

A loss to their primary competition in the AFC South—the Colts—was not an ideal result for the Texans by any measure in Week 7, but they are still well-positioned for a playoff run in an open AFC. With Deshaun Watson playing as well as he has in his young career, ranking fifth among quarterbacks in overall grade, there aren’t too many games that the Texans won’t find themselves in. His 16 big-time throws are fewer than only Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers this season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2019-pff-week-8-nfl-power-rankings

KarlK

Waterboy

There hasn’t been any “falsehood proven” that Houston mortgaged their future, because they most certainly have; 100%. Sounds like you‘re triggered because deep down you know it’s true.

You clearly don’t understand a) NFL economics and b) the importance of acquiring and cultivating depth across the roster if you can’t see the problems that are on the horizon.

The Texans are going to be in serious financial straits and will have to make numerous unpopular decisions once they extend Watson and Tunsil. And they won’t have much draft capital to help offset that.

Houston has about a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl. You live in a fantasy land if you think they or anyone else is at NEs level this year, so you better pin your hopes on NE being hit by injuries this year , or the 2020 season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
there has been no falsehood that Houston has mortgaged their future, because they have 100%.

You clearly don’t understand a) NFL economics and b) the importance of acquiring and cultivating depth across the roster if you can’t see the problems that are on the horizon.

The Texans are going to be in serious financial straits and will have to make numerous unpopular decisions once they extend Watson and Tunsil. And they won’t have much draft capital to help offset that.

Houston has about a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl. You live in a fantasy land if you think they or anyone else is at NEs level this year, so you better pin your hopes on NE being hit by injuries this year , or the 2020 season.
I understand the cap is going to go up about 20 mil after the new CBA is signed and if the contracts are structured properly there shouldn't be any cap issues. Look if losing a 2021 1st/2nd rd pick is going to ruin this franchise then they aren't managing the cap well and if the past is any indicator the Texans handle the cap well.

KarlK

Waterboy
Care to tell me where they were more talented?

QB DW4. Schaub and Schaub was the handpicked QB.
RB AF > Hyde but AF was breaking down and you couldn't depend on him to play a full season.
WR- An aging AJ + Walter < Hopkins/Stills/WFV/Coutee

OL Myers > Martin although he only played 1 more season before retiring.
W.Smith> Scharping but Wade only played 2 more seasons and Scharping is going to be as good as Wade.
Tunsil= DB, or will be soon.
Brooks> Fulton
Howard> Newton.

The defense is about the same on the DL, LB's now > LB's then CB's Depends about what you think of Roby/KJax S Now > then

So tell me where all of this great talent was that was left behind? The best talent that was left behind was aging.

I think we can agree that this is the most talented team since 2011.
That’s pretty funny because every year since 2011 I’ve heard this is the most talented team since 2011. Yet I still fail to see exactly where you all see all this tremendous talent past the top 6-8 guys in the roster.