Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Bucs game.

We could have won the division and tried to get closer to the second seed. Instead OB didn’t do a good job in the Denver game.

They almost lost a game that looked like both teams sucked, but one team had more excuses because they were missing key players.
Even a glass is half full guy like me (see post #47 in this thread) can't come up with any excuses for the Denver game. As far as I'm concerned that was probably the low point of the season.

These “takeaway” threads could be renamed “the good, the bad, and the ugly” as the Texans have won, and lost, in all kinds of ways. And some takeaway threads have been mostly good (the Falcons game comes to mind) while others were mostly bad (the Ravens game). Then there are these types of games in that they are a mixed bag.

Some people may think that every thread they read on this board after a Texans win will be all about the good. That’s just not realistic because that’s not what happened in the game. There were plenty of Texans miscues, primarily on offense and on the sidelines.

I’m happy they won but I am not at all optimistic that they will win in the playoffs if the HC and the offense doesn’t play much better than they did today. If that means I’m not as much of a fan as the next guy...guess what? I’m probably not. To be honest, a lot of times I’ve been more entertained by what you all have to say about a Texans game than the game itself. In fact, I missed some plays today because I was either reading or posting on the game day thread.

Thought I would wait a couple of hours before responding because what I was feeling right after the game was a bit venomous. Now that I've cooled off I'm pleased with today because it was a win. We were playing a hot team in their back yard. Not the prettiest win, but winning ugly beats losing pretty. Now that the division is sewn up, time to rest ANY player that needs it next week unless there is a meaningful seeding to play for. I'm sure there are several franchises that would love to be in our position. Having said that, I was pretty certain during the game that Bill must have some pictures that Cal really doesn't want anyone else to see. How can you explain having such a buffoon patrolling our sideline, and being in command? But.....again now that I've cooled down I only see him as moderately deficient and not a total lost cause. Go Texans.

Bob is a douche. “Doesn’t matter what it looks like Brian, AFC South Champions two years in a row”.

Really, who gives a F—K!!!! So you get a cute little banner at NRG. AFC South Championships don’t mean anything, that tells me everything I need to know about Bill O’Brien.

To be clear, you'd rather we "look good" beating the Bucs than win the division?

And for the record it does matter what today’s game looked like. You ain’t the Patriots bro, you think Bellichek is OK with a sh!tty win, hell no. It would be one thing if they weren’t constantly flat. That’s a losers mentality.

Just saw Belichick's locker room message to his team after a shitty win. He looked happy.

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson was far from his best in the win against Tampa Bay. He struggled with his accuracy in this game and also took deep dropbacks multiple times, which led to pressures for the Tampa Bay defense.
Watson's struggles impacted wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, who finished the day with just five receptions for 23 receiving yards. Hopkins and Watson just weren't on the same page in this game and failed to get going all afternoon.
Interior defender D.J. Reader added another good game to his impressive 2019 campaign. While he had just three tackles, he had success collapsing the pocket, which led to multiple pressures on Jameis Winston.
Linebacker Zach Cunningham made several critical stops this afternoon. He made an impact in all three facets of defense as he led the Texans with six tackles.

In my opinion we continue to win in spite of O'Brien. The defense came up with a lot of big plays and Watson made enough big plays within the constraints of the scheme to overcome a bad gameplan

To be clear, you'd rather we "look good" beating the Bucs than win the division?

Just saw Belichick's locker room message to his team after a shitty win. He looked happy.

Its a lot easier to look happy when you get a first round bye.

Texans are bi polar and we know every year that the ceiling for this team is winning the division and getting knocked out in the wild card round. We will never take the next step as long as BOB is the coach/gm/oc/play caller.

Special teams were aces. The short kickoffs and coverage was awesome. FG team was nails, punting was great. A+
Defense, hard to judge because TB was carving up everyone recently but down another top receiver today. I do think RAC had his guys ready to read Winston and trick him, so let's give him that. Stopped the run except for one play. D gets a B

Offense, pure crap show. No consistency. Maybe 2-3 completed passes even looked planned. Sailing the ball all day. Hope this was mainly physical and we rest DW4 next week. BOB, DW4 and Tim Kelly, D. They actually had two FG drives in 2nd half that took time and such

Game management. Awful again. Kneel out the game. Challenge the spot. End of 1st half management. Awful.

Do you Think we might kick some butt if Arians was our coach? That guy likes to sling it around and can scheme how to get even third rate receivers open. Don't kid yourselves, we need Fuller big time. With him our completion rate is 66% and with out it's only 32%. He is what makes the passing game work. Just the threat of his speed opens up DHop and all the other guys. We have to figure out how to keep him healthy.

Yes we won but some are pretty ticked at the way O’Brien called this one and Watson’s performance
:goodpost:

It may be that some of us are native Houstonians since the 1960s and have been fans of Houston NFL teams for many, many years, and we haven't been to the promised land in all those years.

It may be that some of us old guys would really like to see a Houston team in the superbowl just once before we die.

It is completely possible that the absolutely-most-gung-ho-rabid-love-the-Texans-like-crazy fans are just tired of OB's putrid offensive scheme.

And it just seems that O'Brien handcuffs this team and AFC South Champs is the ceiling. So yeah, some of us are pissed that O'Brien is a fugging idiot when it comes to running an offense with talents like Watson, Hopkins, Hyde, Stills, Fells, Johnson, and Aikens. There is huge doubt that O'Brien will ever get the team and the fans to the promised land.

Do we enjoy the Texans and want them to win? Of course we do - in fact, we want it so bad that we refuse to just unthinkingly give kudos for the crap game plan and play calling and offensive "scheme" that O'Brien's "genius" comes up with. It just may be that the "negative" fans are actually more emotionally invested in the Texans than the KoolAid drinkers are.

So please don't come down on the "half empty" fans too hard - honestly, TexansTalk needs both types - the half-empties and the half-fulls.

:fans: TEXANS :texflag:TEXANS :texans:TEXANS:logo: TEXANS :fieldgoal TEXANS :gotexans1

Last edited:
Ehh, spare me the “ I’m an old Houston football fan” diatribe. Fact is dominating and looking good winning in the regular season has never guaranteed a championship or even a deep playoff run. Having an exciting team to watch offensively ALSO hasn’t guaranteed a deep playoff run for teams. And in that regard you don’t have to look any further than the Rockets and Astros and the many many many many times over a half century for each when everyone thought or they were “supposed” to win and they failed.

Gets tiresome coming to this once great message board only to see it being overrun with front-running whiny fans; a lot of which have no perspective and would rather see this team lose than win just to say “I told u so”.

Reminds me of UT/Aggie football fans who think that if they just throw a lot of money at the latest new hot HC/OC every few years, then they’ll be competing for championships every year...why? Well, b/c we’re Texas that’s why!

Its a lot easier to look happy when you get a first round bye.

My question to Big Lou was in direct relation to this game. Handily beating the Bucs by 30 would not get us any closer to a bye week.

Texans are bi polar and we know every year that the ceiling for this team is winning the division and getting knocked out in the wild card round. We will never take the next step as long as BOB is the coach/gm/oc/play caller.

We've been past the WC twice. Once with BO'b. The next step is the AFCCG.

Ok we definitely got some breaks in the game with famous Jameis being in a very chartible Christmas mood and all...

How did y'all expect this game to go?

That's what Winston does & why they haven't won more games. I was concerned about this game because even though he throws a lot of interceptions he also throws a lot of TDs.

I didn't think our defense was going to capitalize on that. But 4 interceptions (a pick six) & a fumble recovery, I have to say I'm happy to be wrong.

Surprised our offense couldn't do more with them, especially being spotted in the red zone off the 2nd int.

I knew & everyone of you knew Bill O'Brien was going to force the run game. & we're not good enough to run on the #1 run defense.

No one here should be surprised about what happened.

I'm both an optimist and a critic. So most definitely yes.
I really enjoy your posts but this one seems to contradict some of your others in this thread. Perhaps as I, you should chill a few hours after a loss because you come across to me as a homer/high school fan like my friend who taught Jalen Hurts dad in high school. She just cannot admit to any deficiencies. I also am a fan but if you or anyone on this board thinks Watson or O'Brien had anything but a bad day..then you aren't a critic.

I was going to post my thought elsewhere but here goes.
I think O'Brien confirms my position he needs to leave. But to be fair, many plays Watson screwed up. I thought he was in the kite flying business as many balls sailed or he threw out of targets reach. I am for low throws only our guy can get--if the ball gets to the target! Yes, he injured or re-injured his ankle but much of what I mentioned happened before he started limping. Again, he had stupid plays like after the injury, running the ball put of bounds for zero or little gain taking the chance like Doc noted elsewhere of making a low sprain a high one. Throw the dang ball out of bounds. Another play he looks at Hyde who is running out wide left for huge would be gain to throw it to a guy who doesn't make anything of it. None of that is on the HC. IMO both get a D grade.

A game is more than just a win or loss as some argue; no one wants an L over a W but the way we slip, slop and slide to that win is important. Whether any of you think #4 is a franchise QB he sure didn't play like it versus Denver or TB. Next week is a game I hope we rest our vets particularly those with injuries and that includes not having Watt on field at all.

I am a fan but I am not blind.

My takeaway is that Jameis Winston is who I thought he was....a turnover machine. As much as I'd like to say the Texans D rose to the occasion, it was really more of a QB throwing balls he should never be throwing. This D at the end of the day still gives up another 400+ yards of offense.

The offense?? Man, I'm just at a loss anymore. Fuller is useless and because of that Tampa was able to take Nuk out of the picture, and with that it was pretty much over for this offense. They were gifted 10 points by the defense, which means they managed 13 points on their own.

6 plays, 5 yards
5 plays, 10 yards
4 plays, 13 yards
3 plays, 2 yards
3 plays, 9 yards
4 plays, 3 yards

That was 6 of their 7 possessions in the 1st half. The other was a 7 play, 42 yard drive, after a Tampa fumble, where they get their only TD of the game.

How do you get 4 turnovers and block a FG, in one half of play, and be tied? I know it happens occasionally, but damn does that feel like a Texan thing to do.

We all know a win is a win. But we also know that how well you compete in games is important too.

Right now I would say the consensus is pretty much that the Ravens are the best team in the AFC. One of the big reasons people feel this way is because they are dominating and looking good winning in the regular season. What the hell else is there to base an opinion of how good a team is other than their performance on the playing field.

Ravens: 472 points in 14 games
Opponents: 257 points
The Ravens have outscored their opponents by 215 points total.

Texans: 364 points in 15 games
Opponents: 350 points
The Texans have outscored their opponents by 14 points total.

Now it is entirely possible we could beat the Ravens in a post season game. Stranger things have happened. The 10–6 Giants beating the 16-0 Patriots in the Super Bowl for example.

But I will say if somebody walked up & put a gun to my head & said you have to bet your life savings on either the Texans or the Ravens making it to the Super Bowl I'm going with the Ravens completely based on their performance in the regular season games they have played.

Yay playoffs.............

My take away is......... that the energy level is so low on the run game that somebody deflated a balloon and it made a FARTING noise when the air was let out.

Can we act like we cared........... one and done.

I am cool with this. :D

Ehh, spare me the “ I’m an old Houston football fan” diatribe. Fact is dominating and looking good winning in the regular season has never guaranteed a championship or even a deep playoff run. Having an exciting team to watch offensively ALSO hasn’t guaranteed a deep playoff run for teams. And in that regard you don’t have to look any further than the Rockets and Astros and the many many many many times over a half century for each when everyone thought or they were “supposed” to win and they failed.

Gets tiresome coming to this once great message board only to see it being overrun with front-running whiny fans; a lot of which have no perspective and would rather see this team lose than win just to say “I told u so”.

Reminds me of UT/Aggie football fans who think that if they just throw a lot of money at the latest new hot HC/OC every few years, then they’ll be competing for championships every year...why? Well, b/c we’re Texas that’s why!

Please don't compare the Texans to the Astros or the Rockets.. Their failures are still light years ahead of the Texans' greatest franchise accomplishments.

Last edited:
Takeaway? Whoever thought it was a good idea to repeatedly run up the middle behind Martin and at Suh should be slapped. Did they really expect Martin and the guards to win that matchup?

100% agree. Where is the “game plan” offense? I understand the need to run the ball, but why not use some creativity instead of constantly pounding it up the middle? Why not use the pass to set up the run? TB has the best run defense and one of the worst pass defenses in the league, yet we open up the game trying to pound it down their throats.

I’m still flummoxed at the way we use Duke Johnson. I’d like to see him used the same way NE uses James White. I also can’t stand these passes that are with in a yard or two of the LOS, and I’m not talking about check downs. There were a couple of really short passes to Fells, and I don’t understand the thinking, it’s not like he’s going to juke anyone. Throw those type of passes to Duke or Carter and let them make some one miss.

Is there anything as depressing as a Texans post mortem thread? After a win. The Bucs were a hot team winning 5 of their last 6 games. But the Texans beat them , so they suck. The Texans, favored by 3 points on the road, underachieve, winning by 3 on the road. No one here thought the Texans would be in the playoffs this season. Now, they’re biacthing about the playoff seed.

My takeaway is every NFL team has problems. About 20 or so have more than the Texans.

No one here thought the Texans would be in the playoffs this season.

I did. Never doubted the Jags, Titans, & Colts would lift us up.

I do understand the frustration, but I think it's a bit misplaced. Like you said, this is who they are. No one should be surprised the game turned out the way we should have all expected it to.

The problem is they thought BO'b was going to be some other guy. A guy who knows how to assess his opponent & attack their weaknesses.

Or that Watson was ready to own the offense. Yes... Watson hasn't taken ownership of this offense yet. When he gets to the LOS & sees the defense is crowding the line on 1st down He can check out of the play. We've seen him do it before.

As a matter of fact, the one time we passed on first down didn't turn out well. Maybe that was Watson changing the play & poorly communicating the changes.

I'm not blaming Watson, he should have a better initial play to begin with. But he is the one at the LOS, driving this offense.

But the Texans are who we thought they were.

Is there anything as depressing as a Texans post mortem thread? After a win. The Bucs were a hot team winning 5 of their last 6 games. But the Texans beat them , so they suck. The Texans, favored by 3 points on the road, underachieve, winning by 3 on the road. No one here thought the Texans would be in the playoffs this season. Now, they’re biacthing about the playoff seed.

My takeaway is every NFL team has problems. About 20 or so have more than the Texans.

Personally, I’m happy they won, but I’m not happy with how they played. it’s like the old quote “never accept anything in victory that you wouldn’t in defeat”

I think we’re a better team than we showed yesterday. The defense overall had a solid game, but they were numerous times where TB had guys open deep and Winston missed them. Our offensive execution was poor yesterday as well, and that’s what really frustrated me. I didn’t like/understand the game plan, I didn’t like the play calling and I thought DW was off for most of the day. We have so much talent/potential on offense and too often this season we‘re not living up to that potential.

The Jeckel and Hyde nature of our team is also frustrating. If we play like we did against New Orleans, KC or NE, we could be in the AFCCG, but if we play like we did against Denver or Carolina we’ll get bounced in the first rd.

Any offense that relays on WFV to contribute is doomed to fail. Why our offense is set up that way, we’ll never know. Plenty of weapons on offense. Plenty of play calling choices; same old same old.

I sincerely hope we get a real OC. Don’t care about a GM. We need someone to manage the offense. The GM/HC/OC trio is failing miserably in putting guys in position to succeed.

Any offense that relays on WFV to contribute is doomed to fail. Why our offense is set up that way, we’ll never know. Plenty of weapons on offense. Plenty of play calling choices; same old same old.

I sincerely hope we get a real OC. Don’t care about a GM. We need someone to manage the offense. The GM/HC/OC trio is failing miserably in putting guys in position to succeed.
This is what bothers me. Other teams lose their star players (Bucs, Steelers) and they seem to keep on moving.

And another truth is:

Barely getting by and looking like crap in the regular season has even less of a chance of a guaranteed championship or even a deep playoff run.

Ehh, this is all in a fans’ mind. The truth is it really doesn’t and hasn’t mattered a whole lot. in recent sports history what a team does in the regular season here or elsewhere. Again look no further than our very own Rockets and Astros. Rockets were the 1st to do a lot of things in that 2nd championship run and many of the same folks in here looking to “feel good” about our chances by winning in a dominating fashion during the regular season forget that that Rockets team needed a midsession Acquistion in Clyde Drexler just to get in the playoffs.

Same with the Astros in 1998, the big unit....surely we’re going to the WS winning 103 and dominating regular season games right? Wrong. 1st round exit. Hell look at this years Nationals against us!

All winning in the regular season does is makes ya’ll the overly emotional fan feel good. Nothing more. Lol when the schedule came out this year, everyone on this messageboard had us penciled in to lose to KC, NE and at least splitting with the Colts and Titans....the supposed class of the AFC. We are on track to go 5-1 against those same teams if we wind up beating the titans next week. The Colts were also supposed to win the division and we were destined for 9-7 at best.

I’m not predicting SB or AFC championship run, but I’m also not gonna get all bent out of shape b/c we didn’t “win pretty” either.

We caught some breaks yesterday. I think the dissapointment from the Denver loss is still lingering. WFV getting injured again is also annoying. The offensive performance yesterday just frustrates us more because many fans are tired of being irrelevant in the playoffs. We did beat two "dangerous" teams, two weeks in a row on the road that were on some hot winning streaks. That is a positive. We are just desperate to see something that inspires more confidence before the Wild Card game.

Last edited:
This is what bothers me. Other teams lose their star players (Bucs, Steelers) and they seem to keep on moving.

You should go talk to Brady and see how he feels about losing Gronk and AB.

Ditto for the chiefs when they lost Tyreek Hill..

Please don't compare the Texans to the Astros or the Rockets.. Their failures are still light years ahead of the Texans' greatest franchise accomplishments.

Lol, as they should be as each has been around for 30 damn years longer than the Texans.

GTFOH with this nonsense...no such thing as a “good failure” a loss is a loss. You still got fans from the 70’s crying about Mike Renfros non catch against the Steelers in the playoffs...you were around then, tell me, did those regular season wins against the Steelers make u feel any better when they got wrecked by the same team in the playoffs?

Fuller isn’t anywhere near those guys level. Now Hopkins I could see. Not Fuller. Especially when you have Stills behind him.

From an explosive play standpoint he is..and as with their respective teams, when those guys aren’t on the field, their teams’ offenses haven’t looked the same.

We have Stills Coutee and Carter all who can replicate downfield plays. But we don’t use them like Fuller. That’s a coaching problem.

If u think that either of those guys can replicate what WFV does for this offense, then u haven’t been paying attention.

its Not simply replicating “downfield” plays, its his route running ability..its him being able to win downfield and create that win fast as hell, it’s the spacing he creates, it’s the chemistry DW4 loses without him on the field, it’s the threat of him on the field that allows your 3rd guy in Stills/Coutee to see 1 on 1 when all 3 are on the fieltogether..

you may be able to make some of those things up without him on the field and the other guys in his place, but not all of them at the same time...like u would have WITH him.

THAT is the total impact.

Takeaway? Whoever thought it was a good idea to repeatedly run up the middle behind Martin and at Suh should be slapped. Did they really expect Martin and the guards to win that matchup?

Bill is stuck in the past. He thinks he has Earl Campbell back there ready to run over folks.
I don’t remember one run play designed for the edges. Hyde had one run to the left but he bounced it out there. OB kept ramming it in the middle of the strength of the D. Get these guys off tackle or something.

He was happy because the Bills are for real and beat the hell out of the Pats physically. Lucky they got out with a win. OB and the Texans should have had that game wrapped up by halftime.

This^^
Bucs had off the street dudes playing, “first game in the NFL” and one of them got almost a hundy receiving yards. Arians can coach an offense, OB not so much.

Special teams has been a pleasant surprise this year. Nice kick coverage. Good job to them.

I’m still not sure why Fulton/Clark are splitting time with Mancz/Johnson. Terrible, leave it alone OB!!

Cunningham is good, still has some issues in coverage though.

Really need the running game to get back on track. It is bland as grammas chicken soup. It needs some creativity.
Hell, the TD by Hyde was lucky. Fells ran right by the crashing DE, looked like he didn’t know he was supposed to block him. Hyde made it in despite.

OB is not an offensive mind, stating the obvious. I get Fuller changes things, but the Bucs had crap at WR today and they were running wide open. That’s coaching!

Texans run D is still shutting it down for the most part.

A win is a win “it’s hard to win in the NFL, Brian” but man, shouldn’t have been that hard.

Last edited:
We can all agree that we didn't play well but are happy to be the AFC champs again. What ticks me off is that play off teams should be playing at their best in late December.
There were 3 Bucs players that were called up from their practice squad and they were missing their 2 starting WR's, and we barely beat them.
How you are playing does matter. Unfortunately.

I’m elated that we won the division this week and didn’t have to rely on a week 17 rematch with the Titans to do so.

The special teams had another good-to-great game with good coverage, no missed kicks and another block.

The defense put us on top early and managed to stave off the red-hot Winston from bringing them all the way back. Missing McKinney hurt, but RAC managed to scheme around it well.

O’Brien’s play calls were uninspired and his penchant for running on first down nearly 100% of the time was both predictable and ineffective against the #1 run defense in the league.

Watson looked off all day. Whether it was injury, hard-headedness or something else, he wasn’t calm, he wasn’t cool, and he repeatedly missed wide open targets on the occasion that the scheme had open receivers. He was combative with players and coaches alike.

The head coach and his #1 player need to get on the same page and everybody but the waterboy needs to be rested/treated week 17.

I’m a face-painted crazy from the Bull Pen, but I’m also a realist. This team has potential, but it’ll have to be realized soon, or we could be looking at a repeat of last year’s first game embarrassment in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ehh, this is all in a fans’ mind. The truth is it really doesn’t and hasn’t mattered a whole lot. in recent sports history what a team does in the regular season here or elsewhere.

Superbowl winners from the 16 game era:
super.jpg
I'm betting those 15-1 and 14-2 and 13-3 and 12-4 winners looked pretty damn competent in the regular season. The Texans have been nothing but inconsistent.

Could the Texans win the superbowl? Sure, there is a chance. I hope they do.

Do fans have reason to complain about O'Brien? Yes, they do.

Superbowl winners from the 16 game era:
View attachment 5195
I'm betting those 15-1 and 14-2 and 13-3 and 12-4 winners looked pretty damn competent in the regular season. The Texans have been nothing but inconsistent.

Could the Texans win the superbowl? Sure, there is a chance. I hope they do.

Do fans have reason to complain about O'Brien? Yes, they do.

likewise I bet they had inexplicable losses to teams that weren’t anywhere close to good as well as games where they didn’t look all that great, but still squeaked out a win.

Like others, I feel like this game was a mixed bag.

TK asked what did we expect. I honestly had no expectations one way or another about this game. The Texans have been a roller coaster of a team. In my view they are going to be the most unpredictable team going into the playoffs. What else can you say about a team that can beat the defending champs, fairly convincing btw, one week and then get blown out by a sub .500 team the next?

Maybe I’m in the minority but I honestly don’t care about division championship. That’s a participation trophy if we’re trounced in the playoffs again.
Sean Pendergast put up a poll on Twitter this past week, pointing out that only the Patriots have won more division titles since 2011. How does that fact make you feel about the Texans:

Proud
Shocked
Frustrated

Over a thousand people participated in the poll. 63% of them voted FRUSTRATED.

I don’t think you’re in the minority.

Last edited:
Back