Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Not at all,

There's a feel for where the pass rush is coming from. Some have the ability to feel pressure and know where it's coming from, others dont. The great ones have this.
Who's this mystic QB that you talk about?
I saw the great Tom Brady sacked twice from the blind side yesterday without knowing what was about to hit him.
And as DB said, Brady (and any QB for that matter) also has problem with pressure right in his face when it comes too quickly.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
How about Aaron Rogers?

We can go all day with any "Great" one that steelb may refer to.
What I’ve learn this past weekend was very valuable. That was to disengage/ separate from those who really don’t support this entire team. Like you said every quarterback struggles with pressure up the middle and blindside. Another example Carlos Wentz was sacked 8 times. Man say it ain’t so!

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What I’ve learn this past weekend was very valuable. That was to disengage/ separate from those who really don’t support this entire team. Like you said every quarterback struggles with pressure up the middle and blindside. Another example Carlos Wentz was sacked 8 times. Man say it ain’t so!
Excuses

6 bad games in a row and counting

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Who's this mystic QB that you talk about?
I think I finally have figured out the mythical OB QB. To be able to run this ED version of the EP offense, he needs a QB who can avoid Martin back pedaling into the passing lanes, overcome an OL that appears to be auditioning to be bullfighters and get rid of the ball before he completes a 3 step drop.

The mythical OB QB is.......Peter Parker. With his Spidey sense, Peter would throw with anticipation and accuracy. He could feel the rush at the snap count. He could throw passes in mid Rosencopter. However, no complaining when the occasional pass doesn't leave his hands because of the webbing and he gets.....sacked.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Excuses

6 bad games in a row and counting
Excuses

97 games filled with HC mistakes and counting.

Quatre-vingt-dix-sept matchs remplis d'erreurs d'entraineur-chef et de comptage.

Street translation:

He sucks and makes the same mistakes in game 97 like he did in game 1. What's the difference? Oh, he's now a GM with bad moves being his game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Excuses

97 games filled with HC mistakes and counting.

Quatre-vingt-dix-sept matchs remplis d'erreurs d'entraineur-chef et de comptage.

Street translation:

He sucks and makes the same mistakes in game 97 like he did in game 1. What's the difference? Oh, he's now a GM with bad moves being his game.
What mistakes did he make last Thursday night?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Poor clock management.
Keeping things in the pocket too often knowing that the O-line is crap.
Lack of movement and quick hit plays to counter the pressure (watch the Jags).
Poor clock mgmt?

The defenses have learned to rush the DE's wide and make DW4 read defenses and deliver the ball from the pocket.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Poor clock mgmt?

The defenses have learned to rush the DE's wide and make DW4 read defenses and deliver the ball from the pocket.
Yes. POOR clock management.
Did you see any two minute drill or no huddle offense?
They played like they had a fifty point lead.

Yes. That's the problem with OB not moving the pocket, not having the QB rolling out, not going to the ZBS to get movement.
They did all this in the last couple of years and all of a sudden, OB came up with this idiotic plan that let the D do what you said "they had figured out how to beat DW4".

But they don't really need to against OB; that guy can burry his head in the sand all by himself.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Yes. That's the problem with OB not moving the pocket, not having the QB rolling out, not going to the ZBS to get movement.
They did all this in the last couple of years and all of a sudden, OB came up with this idiotic plan that let the D do what you said "they had figured out how to beat DW4".

But they don't really need to against OB; that guy can burry his head in the sand all by himself.

The biggest stinker was, down by 14 and we were still running the freaking ball. No sense of urgency whatsoever. It was like Bill Obrien quit on that game.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The biggest stinker was, down by 14 and we were still running the freaking ball. No sense of urgency whatsoever. It was like Bill Obrien quit on that game.
He did say last year that they need at least 50, and he knows he can't figure out a way to get there. :corrosion:

To me, that was the most idiotic "semi-joke" a HC can make.
He was undermining his own defense (including the coaches) ahead of the game.
Not the way to motivate the team, if you ask me.

OptimisticTexan

Thank you guys for spelling this out b/c I just didn't want to bash this again. His failures as a HC, OC and now GM are why we see what we see on the field of play. Inept planning, inability to think outside the box, and absolutely zero skills on how to adjust on the fly......97 games and counting.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Was the 2:00 minute drill on an inexperienced OC/QB or BOB?

OptimisticTexan

Was the 2:00 minute drill on an inexperienced OC/QB or BOB?
When OB is down 14 to 21, he strategically goes into a "Protect the Defeat" approach to his offensive play calling.....I didn't use Kelly's name b/c we all know that's the "Godsey Charade".

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If it happens once, the QB.
If it happens twice, maybe still the QB.
But it happens time and again.
Definitely BOB.
Or the rookie OC that was calling the plays or the QB.

I dont recall Fitz/Hoyer/even Os having these issues and certainly not this often.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When a HC knows, entering the game, that his team may need 50 points, and with the whole offseason to devise plans and strategies, there's simply NO EXCUSE for the HC.
Maybe he didn't think he needed 50 pts. (Which he didn't)

No excuses for the L because the Texans lost to the more talented team with the better HC/QB.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Maybe he didn't think he needed 50 pts. (Which he didn't)

No excuses for the L because the Texans lost to the more talented team with the better HC/QB.
The HC told the GM, "Hey, he's worth it".
The GM went out and make the kid the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL.

No matter how you slice and dice, it's all on them.

NO EXCUSE for the beat down.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, it's your claim, not mine to prove.
I asked you what you thought. What do you think? I guess you dont want to share your opinion on this and I can guess why this is pretty accurately.

Not me trying to prove anything.

My god you're in a foul mood tonight.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I asked you what you thought. What do you think? I guess you dont want to share your opinion on this and I can guess why this is pretty accurately.

Not me trying to prove anything.

My god you're in a foul mood tonight.
No, I don't want to spend the time rewatching all the games.

It's your claim, don't try to go around with just words.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
All jokes aside. If the OL just did an average job pass blocking, the offense would have performed better. They got whipped in the trenches. Plain and simple.
I need to watch the game again. I don't know that I can muster the courage.

But... Fells getting punk'd by 5 foot nothing 170 lbs when wet honey badgers has nothing to do with the OL.

& Martin going to help leaving a free blitzer... I mean how "fast" did that happen?

I don't know what the answer is, but even Chris Jones wupp'n Fulton doesn't explain 4 sacks.

I'm not saying Steelbtexan is right (I'll never say that) but it's more than just the OL. How many teams will play Chris Jones 1 on 1?

OptimisticTexan

I know there isn't a chance in hail that OB would make an OL personnel before the trade deadline. He's sold on his unit.

If I had chance to utilize the existing personnel I would try the following lineup for a game or two to find out if they could make a difference. My adjusted OL:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Fulton (His best performance on this OL was at Center....far better than Martin)
RG- Qvale (He's a veteran that I think could help both Howard and Fulton)
RT- Howard

If the Texans get manhandled by the Ravens.....and they should.....OB should set his man crush for Martin aside and bench him in favor of Fulton. What's the worst that could happen? Nothing, reinsert Martin and leave Qvale at RG. I think Qvale could be a true upgrade at RG.

mws

Rookie
If the Texans get manhandled by the Ravens.....and they should.....OB should set his man crush for Martin aside and bench him in favor of Fulton.
To me this is where being both HC & GM causes conflicts. If he benches Martin he is in effect saying that giving him the contract he did was a mistake. I really don't see Billy O admitting he was wrong regardless of all noise he makes about the good of the team.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I need to watch the game again. I don't know that I can muster the courage.

But... Fells getting punk'd by 5 foot nothing 170 lbs when wet honey badgers has nothing to do with the OL.

& Martin going to help leaving a free blitzer... I mean how "fast" did that happen?

I don't know what the answer is, but even Chris Jones wupp'n Fulton doesn't explain 4 sacks.

I'm not saying Steelbtexan is right (I'll never say that) but it's more than just the OL. How many teams will play Chris Jones 1 on 1?
HB was able to get through the weak block of Fells and hit Watson elbow on that throw.

Those four sacks happened really fast , Watson wasn’t even able to get to his three to five step drop backs. And that’s from the shotgun formation. Shoots even Mahomas on his few pressures weren’t able to complete his drop backs.

Fulton got whipped bad twice, Tunsil and Howard got beat badly once and Martin and Scharping got pushed back into the quarterback a few times. They have to clean that up

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I know there isn't a chance in hail that OB would make an OL personnel before the trade deadline. He's sold on his unit.

If I had chance to utilize the existing personnel I would try the following lineup for a game or two to find out if they could make a difference. My adjusted OL:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Fulton (His best performance on this OL was at Center....far better than Martin)
RG- Qvale (He's a veteran that I think could help both Howard and Fulton)
RT- Howard

If the Texans get manhandled by the Ravens.....and they should.....OB should set his man crush for Martin aside and bench him in favor of Fulton. What's the worst that could happen? Nothing, reinsert Martin and leave Qvale at RG. I think Qvale could be a true upgrade at RG.
I've been advocating this from day 1............Martin out/Fulton in. Martin's base strength is shot after his 2 high ankle fractures. His weakness not only affects his performance, but can't help but affect his adjacent guards' performances.