Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Chiefs have a decent defense?

As compared to the Dolphins who aren't even trying too win and Arizona who's bottom of the league bad - Yeah , they have a …. decent defense.

But in saying that …. its not nothing more than serviceable while they have a guy posting 30+ a game on the other side of the ball, so again , compare Jackson's numbers against those three defenses.

What does he look like when he plays a really good defense?

Martin is the week link there. He doesn’t get any push and he makes bad choices, seemingly he’s drawn to double team like a bug drawn to a light. There were times today where he immediately went to the double team allowing a defender to run right past him. He doesn’t seam to be able to recover off a double team once he’s engaged. I noticed this on more than one occasion. I’m going to watch the game again and focus on him. See if my impressions have merit.
After watching the first half again, Fulton was the weak link in the first half.

Agreed. I thought last weeks line did a good job in pass pro & a great job in the run game. I was looking forward to see that line jell a bit.

I don't really understand the new lineup this week. Did RJ disappoint?

They should have been thinking tonight's lineup the minute they traded for Tunsil. & benching Henderson should have been enough of an excuse to make it happen.

I can't imagine what could have happened in practice (because RJ played well) that would make them make this move now.

Is Roderick Johnson hurt?
That is my guess on RJ.

Curious to see what the film and grades are for today.

And looks like Seantrel is completely out of the rotation despite being named opening day starter last two years

Johnson was active and not injured. But Tunsil WAS injured and the Texans were not sure he would be able to make it through the game. Johnson was their best bet if needed to take over that position without disrupting the entire line in the middle of the game. From here on, I see him being considered valuable by the team as our designated swing tackle.

Johnson was active and not injured. But Tunsil WAS injured and the Texans were not sure he would be able to make it through the game. Johnson was their best bet if needed to take over that position without disrupting the entire line in the middle of the game. From here on, I see him being considered valuable by the team as our designated swing tackle.

I was hoping they would put Johnson back at RT , Fulton to C and move Martin to the bench ….

I think that gets their best 5 on the field.

But with that huge extension , that doesn't seem likely.

I was hoping they would put Johnson back at RT , Fulton to C and move Martin to the bench ….

I think that gets their best 5 on the field.

But with that huge extension , that doesn't seem likely.
I too am not real comfortable with Martin (Fulton would be a better center), but I like the arrangement of the rest of the oline for now.......until we can find someone else legitimate (that's not on the line now) to take Fulton's present position...........and leaving Johnson as the designated swing tackle.

Overall the oline played solid. I think someone said they took a step back in run blocking. I don't think so. Some games the other team will stop the run game. Example: our very on Texans put the clamps on Ezekiel Elliott and the Cowboys running game.

@Brickwallblitz: TOTAL QB HITS ALLOWED THROUGH WEEK 3:

DAL, NO: 8
BAL, OAK, PIT: 10
SF: 11
JAX, MIN, NE: 12
DET: 13
IND: 14
CAR: 15
CHI, CLE, KC: 16
ATL, DEN, LAR: 17
CIN, SEA, WAS: 18
GB, PHI: 19
BUF: 22
NYG: 24
HOU, LAC, TEN: 25
ARI, NYJ, TB: 26
MIA: 35

@Brickwallblitz: TOTAL QB HITS ALLOWED THROUGH WEEK 3:

DAL, NO: 8
BAL, OAK, PIT: 10
SF: 11
JAX, MIN, NE: 12
DET: 13
IND: 14
CAR: 15
CHI, CLE, KC: 16
ATL, DEN, LAR: 17
CIN, SEA, WAS: 18
GB, PHI: 19
BUF: 22
NYG: 24
HOU, LAC, TEN: 25
ARI, NYJ, TB: 26
MIA: 35

No bueno. More distressing was how Deshaun is finally staying down on some hits. Last year he was bouncing up from punctured lungs and broken ribs. This year he's reassessing his life choices on the ground for a few moments after some hits. This is not sustainable. If its not the OLine at fault, then O'Brien needs to think about a moving pocket, more roll out stuff. Get Watson on the move. I think I've read that the most dangerous injuries for QBs come within the pocket VS on the run. Seeing the hits coming vs blindside stuff. Whatever it is Watson will not last long if he keeps getting pounded like this. Another Andrew Luck in the making.

MMQB/SI

It looks like the Texans’ offensive line shuffle is coming to an end. We mentioned it a couple weeks ago—the long-term plan, post-Laremy Tunsil trade, was to have first-round pick Tytus Howard as the right tackle and second-round pick Max Scharping at guard. And for the first time, on Sunday in L.A., the Houston coaches rolled it out like that, with Tunsil and Howard at the tackle spots, and Scharping at left guard, alongside center Nick Martin and right guard Zach Fulton. Four of those five came into the league as top-60 draft picks, and the other (Fulton) was a big-ticket free agent. And the group did a pretty reasonable job Sunday against a big-time Chargers front. It cost a lot for Houston to get here, but it’s not crazy to think it might not be long until the offensive line becomes a legit team strength for the Texans.

No bueno. More distressing was how Deshaun is finally staying down on some hits. Last year he was bouncing up from punctured lungs and broken ribs. This year he's reassessing his life choices on the ground for a few moments after some hits. This is not sustainable. If its not the OLine at fault, then O'Brien needs to think about a moving pocket, more roll out stuff. Get Watson on the move. I think I've read that the most dangerous injuries for QBs come within the pocket VS on the run. Seeing the hits coming vs blindside stuff. Whatever it is Watson will not last long if he keeps getting pounded like this. Another Andrew Luck in the making.

I hate that Luck retired like that. Now we will use that example every freaking time.

I hate that Luck retired like that. Now we will use that example every freaking time.

I mean get your butt beat up every week for 16 weeks and I’m sure you would make some different life choices too. Didn’t help that the medical staff in Indy were not solving problems and you get what you got.

don’t be surprised if he resurfaces.

28. HOUSTON TEXANS
Highest-Graded Offensive Lineman: C Nick Martin, 70.2

We’re only three games in, but the Texans look far from a total liability at this point. Laremy Tunsil has been a stalwart with a 75.3 pass-blocking grade so far and the line had a different feel this past week with Max Scharping in the lineup at left guard. He earned a 64.7 overall grade in his first start there after Tytus Howard struggled earlier in the season.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-week-3-of-the-2019-nfl-season

28. HOUSTON TEXANS

We’re only three games in, but the Texans look far from a total liability at this point. Laremy Tunsil has been a stalwart with a 75.3 pass-blocking grade so far and the line had a different feel this past week with Max Scharping in the lineup at left guard. He earned a 64.7 overall grade in his first start there after Tytus Howard struggled earlier in the season.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-week-3-of-the-2019-nfl-season

Some guys on here right now....

tenor.gif

28. HOUSTON TEXANS

Notice how well Brookes and Jones are playing.

Imagine Tunsil-Scharping-Jones-Brookes-Howard.

Still, let bygones be and all that and i feel this line has the talent to get at least to the top 15, the play was promising last week and it looks like Carolina's DL is banged up judging by Doc's injury report, hopefully giving them another positive week as the gel.

Tweet from @JeremyBranham: Deshaun Watson has been sacked 18 times so far in 2019. That's a 72 sack pace. He was sacked, an NFL most, 62 times last year. The all-time record is held by David Carr when he was sacked 76 times in 2002. #Texans #WeAreTexans

Tweet from @JeremyBranham: Deshaun Watson has been sacked 18 times so far in 2019. That's a 72 sack pace. He was sacked, an NFL most, 62 times last year. The all-time record is held by David Carr when he was sacked 76 times in 2002. #Texans #WeAreTexans

Yeah, but we fixed that, remember? It's why we don't have any 1st round picks for the next 50 or so drafts.

OB has taken a perfectly good "franchise" QB in Watson and has set him in an irreversible decline. We can all see it happening because we've all seen it happen before. Watson may not be worth his new contract when it comes up if he's still being coached by OB.

I still think he will magically look better once he gets a real coach, but I hope he hasn't picked up a bunch of bad habits

OB has taken a perfectly good "franchise" QB in Watson and has set him in an irreversible decline. We can all see it happening because we've all seen it happen before. Watson may not be worth his new contract when it comes up if he's still being coached by OB.

Not defending BOB at all,he called a terrible game. But Watson has a bad case of happy feet. How do you get that out of him?

Did he have happy feet initially or did he develop that bad habit here?

He got them here, this doesn't matter. What matters is if he can get over them. If he cant it's time to move on. Fire BOB if you want but until this improves the Texans are going nowhere.

He got them here, this doesn't matter. What matters is if he can get over them. If he cant it's time to move on. Fire BOB if you want but until this improves the Texans are going nowhere.

Why would he develop happy feet? What's the cause?

Maybe if he wasn't leading the league in getting sacked for the 2nd year in a row he wouldn't be picking up bad habits.

Just looking at today, if he would get rid of the damn ball he wouldn't be leading the league in sacks.

He's very confused right now and his accuracy is also off. My question remains, what can be done to help him process information quicker? This will help him get rid of the happy feet and should cut down on the sacks. I'm for going back to using Watson's college offense and if he gets hurt so be it, since he's struggling to learn a professional offense.

Just looking at today, if he would get rid of the damn ball he wouldn't be leading the league in sacks.

He's very confused right now and his accuracy is also off. My question remains, what can be done to help him process information quicker? This will help him get rid of the happy feet and should cut down on the sacks. I'm for going back to using Watson's college offense and if he gets hurt so be it, since he's struggling to learn a professional offense.

You can say that for every QB. Just get rid of the ball and you won't get sacked

It sounds like your're talking technique here, and if that's the case, then that's coaching. Which is, at least by my view, piss poor. Which means Watson's regression will continue to escalate and he'll be worthless someday.

Or, if he's been worthless all along then all this doesn't matter. Which I don't think anyone believes.

So, in conclusion, my hypothesis is Texan coaching sucks making Watson suck thereby ruining our Sundays.

You can say that for every QB. Just get rid of the ball and you won't get sacked

Yeah get rid of the ball is the key no matter if it's not completed. Bwhahaha then jokers will kill him for his accuracy. Do you hear how they're killing Rodgers for just throwing it away.

Dam if you do and dam if you don't huh.

Bump the fact that we don't run any rub routes. There's hardly any recievers open down field. And where for the love of God is the hot reads.

Yeah get rid of the ball is the key no matter if it's not completed. Bwhahaha then jokers will kill him for his accuracy. Do you hear how they're killing Rodgers for just throwing it away.

Dam if you do and dam if you don't huh.

Bump the fact that we don't run any rub routes. There's hardly any recievers open down field. And where for the love of God is the hot reads.

And multiple times they end up in the same spot.

And OBriens "solution" to get rid of the ball is to leak out Hyde. Except he runs behind the line of scrimmage which could end up making it a fumble. And it rarely gets much yardage.

Pathetic adjustment

It sounds like your're talking technique here, and if that's the case, then that's coaching. Which is, at least by my view, piss poor. Which means Watson's regression will continue to escalate and he'll be worthless someday.

Or, if he's been worthless all along then all this doesn't matter. Which I don't think anyone believes.

So, in conclusion, my hypothesis is Texan coaching sucks making Watson suck thereby ruining our Sundays.

If he's inaccurate and slow processing that's not a coaching issue. But BOB did call a terrible game today. 23 pts in 2 home games. Just flat out terrible. Just start running Watson's college offense until he gets hurt is my answer, since apparently he cant run a pro offense and you're right if BOB doesn't do this it's on the coaching.

I wouldn't call it happy feet, but he definitely looks confused. I think he changed his mind four times today. & he's not as decisive as he had been pulling it down & running.

He needs to trust his first instinct & pull the trigger.

Bill OBrien and his scheme

Nothing at all to do with a QB struggling to learn and the QB being inaccurate. But you're right, BOB should go away from his offense and run Watson's college offense unil he gets hurt so this will shorten the learning curve.

I wouldn't call it happy feet, but he definitely looks confused. I think he changed his mind four times today. & he's not as decisive as he had been pulling it down & running.

He needs to trust his first instinct & pull the trigger.

I believe he's thinking twice because Obrien doesn't want him to run. I seen several plays he should've tucked and ran. I'm very positive he would've gained 5 yards or better each time.

Back