Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Actually this o-line is average, there's a lot of bad units out there, average now is not that good, but just by having a above average LT and an ok left size, puts them in the middle of the pack despite the poor right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. They're hoping that another year for the line to gel plus getting a 2nd rounder added to the interior OL PLUS improved QB play improves the OL.

We need one starter not on the roster and folks are acting like armageddon is nigh.

THEY need one starter at QB/OT/ILB/S?CB and depth.

Yes I know KJo is coming back but depending on a guy who has broken his foot twice is a risky proposition. Do you really want Cushing back next yr, especially at his salary?

This doesn't even speak to the DL depth. who's the backup NT? Will JJ's back hold up to a 16 game season? Are you really comfortable with Heath at the other DE?

How high would you rate the need to upgrade at RB? The Texans brass seems to be interviewing a bunch of TE's at the Combime/Sr Bowl.

The Redskins just signed my undervalued OT Ty Nsekhe from Tx. St. today. That guy is a stud. Huge with a nasty mean streak.

This. They're hoping that another year for the line to gel plus getting a 2nd rounder added to the interior OL PLUS improved QB play improves the OL.

Yeah their hoping either Mancz can play guard and/or Allen can pull his head out of his a$$ and leaving RT to the draft, they've got a long term concern about replacing Brown.

He started 15 games at RT last year and acquitted himself quite well. He was only moved to OG in the finale because Cleveland wanted to give Cameron Erving a look at RT since he's been a total bust on the interior thus far and, as a former 1st round pick, the new regime needs to figure out what they have in him since they will have to decide on his option after this year.

Did the Texans visit with Patzor today?

I've been out of the loop.

Another yr to jell, last yrs OL could play together another 10 yrs and not jell. The right side of the OL was terrible last yr.

Yeah their hoping either Mancz can play guard and/or Allen can pull his head out of his a$$ and leaving RT to the draft, they've got a long term concern about replacing Brown.

Brown, Martin, Mancz, Allen, XSF

We'll trade our 1st, 2nd, & next year's 1st to move up & get Leonard Fournette

THEY need one starter at QB/OT/ILB/S?CB and depth.

Yes I know KJo is coming back but depending on a guy who has broken his foot twice is a risky proposition. Do you really want Cushing back next yr, especially at his salary?

This doesn't even speak to the DL depth. who's the backup NT? Will JJ's back hold up to a 16 game season? Are you really comfortable with Heath at the other DE?

How high would you rate the need to upgrade at RB? The Texans brass seems to be interviewing a bunch of TE's at the Combime/Sr Bowl.

The Redskins just signed my undervalued OT Ty Nsekhe from Tx. St. today. That guy is a stud. Huge with a nasty mean streak.

Based on the talent in the draft you really hope they walk away with a big corner, a safety, and a receiving threat at TE. Qb and RT are the biggest needs but are wrk in the draft. You kinda hoping they are in the right place at the right time and don't have to reach. They're also will be value at edge and RB in the draft as well.

Based on the talent in the draft you really hope they walk away with a big corner, a safety, and a receiving threat at TE. Qb and RT are the biggest needs but are wrk in the draft. You kinda hoping they are in the right place at the right time and don't have to reach. They're also will be value at edge and RB in the draft as well.

We differ. I feel QB grades on two possibly three? Right in Texans wheelhouse with 25th overall selection. They can address RT via free agency and draft OT/OG later to develop. As for safety/corner they could hit on one or both 2nd/3rd. Doubt they pull trigger now on TE after resigning Griffin. Would love to see RB position upgraded however :barman:

We differ. I feel QB grades on two possibly three? Right in Texans wheelhouse with 25th overall selection. They can address RT via free agency and draft OT/OG later to develop. As for safety/corner they could hit on one or both 2nd/3rd. Doubt they pull trigger now on TE after resigning Griffin. Would love to see RB position upgraded however :barman:

Which three ??

I only like 3 quarterbacks in this draft ... Mahomes , Trubisky and Peterman.

Which three ??

I assuming its Watson.

Yes, big fan of Watson. Throws catchable ball with arch, into acceptable windows for receivers already on this roster which they've never enjoyed. Need to extend DeAndre Hopkins now, would expect a truly breakout season with Watson as his QB. Also like his size & athletic ability to create and he does go through his progressions, key to future success in the NFL.

Yes, big fan of Watson. Throws catchable ball with arch, into acceptable windows for receivers already on this roster which they've never enjoyed. Need to extend DeAndre Hopkins now, would expect a truly breakout season with Watson as his QB. Also like his size & athletic ability to create and he does go through his progressions, key to future success in the NFL.

The picks are the real concern along with his accuracy issues that lead to them. There is also a small concern that his offensive line was very good and how will his play change under a sped up clock against pro pass rushes. At this point they all have warts, trubinsky isnt uber talented and had trouble picking up blitzes, Mahomes is off script and has some lapses, Kizer is a tick too slow. Peterman might not have a big enough arm to keep dbs honest, Evans is raw, the list goes on.

Which three ??

I'm iffy on Mahomes. I would take trubisky if he fell to 25 and not look back. If Mahomes and peterman fall to our second round pick I would go Peterman. If Mahomes is all that's left at our 2nd pick I would take then.

We already needed help at tackle last year and it was a descent year for OTs, certainly better than this year as 'bout half dozen tackles were drafted in the first round when this year
it's very possibly only one or two if that go in the first and the Texans did not draft a single tackle in 2016. Just another example why teams should draft the strength of the Draft, AKA drafting the
BPA.

I don't think they are set at TE, nor do I think they think they are set. For one they interviewed all the TE's at the senior bowl, two Griffin signed essentially what could be a 1 year deal, three Anderson was a undrafted rookie from last year, not sure how he is a lock to make the team plus with his size he could be kept on the roster as a 5th WR if need be. There are three TE's on the roster and one of them is by no means a lock to remain especially if a TE is the BPA.

I heard we interviewed Arkansas OT Dab Skipper and Villanova OT Brad Seaton so we are definitely getting OL at some point in the draft, most likely on the 3rd round or later. I think we go QB and DB first and second in whichever order

We already needed help at tackle last year and it was a descent year for OTs, certainly better than this year as 'bout half dozen tackles were drafted in the first round when this year
it's very possibly only one or two if that go in the first and the Texans did not draft a single tackle in 2016. Just another example why teams should draft the strength of the Draft, AKA drafting the
BPA.

Exactly going after need hurts in the long run, you have to get the most out of each class as possible. This year its DB's (CB/S) and TE's, then Edge/RB's are the strength of this draft.

I heard we interviewed Arkansas OT Dab Skipper and Villanova OT Brad Seaton so we are definitely getting OL at some point in the draft, most likely on the 3rd round or later. I think we go QB and DB first and second in whichever order

They also interviewed Bolles. If he is there at 25 (not very likely), they'd be all over him. Its unlikely they will have a choice of one top 3 tackles and one of top 3 Qb's at the pick, probably will be one or the other.

Exactly going after need hurts in the long run, you have to get the most out of each class as possible. This year its DB's (CB/S) and TE's, then Edge/RB's are the strength of this draft.

Hopefully 24~28 other teams feel that way leaving the best OT in the draft for us at 25.... heck, we could probably trade down a couple of spots while TEs fly off the board & still get our guy.

Hopefully 24~28 other teams feel that way leaving the best OT in the draft for us at 25.... heck, we could probably trade down a couple of spots while TEs fly off the board & still get our guy.

hopefully they don't, so all the good DBs TEs and RBs are available for us :D

Don't forget about safety. Melifonwu/Peppers could be there at 25 and I wouldn't have a problem with this pick, provided Mahomes is gone.

Would it be asking too much to land both Bolles and Asiata in the same draft? It would be great to have a ready to go right side with familiarity with one another.

Would it be asking too much to land both Bolles and Asiata in the same draft? It would be great to have a ready to go right side with familiarity with one another.

I like Siragusa too, if you can land Bolles in round 1 big if, then you can go Moton/Dawkins in round 2 possibly or Asiata/Siragusa round 3.

The picks are the real concern along with his accuracy issues that lead to them. There is also a small concern that his offensive line was very good and how will his play change under a sped up clock against pro pass rushes. At this point they all have warts, trubinsky isnt uber talented and had trouble picking up blitzes, Mahomes is off script and has some lapses, Kizer is a tick too slow. Peterman might not have a big enough arm to keep dbs honest, Evans is raw, the list goes on.

Not to me, look at Competion. Will he have to dial it down in O'Brian offense, you know, only if it doesn't work. But my faith in Texans WR's if given proper window will elevate for a Watson. Not sure why you can't see his potential based upon other astute observations but QB is the most difficult position to project (not meant as a slam) it just is what it is.

To me it's confidence projected, translates to leadership and carries over to production = wins = Super Bowl.

I like the idea of trading down if it must be a OT. Honestly I like Bolles the most but at 25 years old I just don't know if he's worth that. That about when first rounders are finishing their rookie contracts. Ramz, medical is the key. Robinson no thanks. With all the questions I would rather wait until round two or three for a OT.

Not to me, look at Competion. Will he have to dial it down in O'Brian offense, you know, only if it doesn't work. But my faith in Texans WR's if given proper window will elevate for a Watson. Not sure why you can't see his potential based upon other astute observations but QB is the most difficult position to project (not meant as a slam) it just is what it is.

To me it's confidence projected, translates to leadership and carries over to production = wins = Super Bowl.

All these guys have "potential", but the problem is they have enough potentially bad aspects of their game that could derail their success. In terms of Watson the INT rate is extremely high, his field vision isn't good, he doesn't go through his progressions properly, was in a simplified offense that didn't require him to need to see the full field. Those weaknesses could easily limit his success. You can have all the leadership and confidence in the world but if you can't see the field and move through your progressions it won't matter a lick.

I like the idea of trading down if it must be a OT. Honestly I like Bolles the most but at 25 years old I just don't know if he's worth that. That about when first rounders are finishing their rookie contracts. Ramz, medical is the key. Robinson no thanks. With all the questions I would rather wait until round two or three for a OT.
Yea Bolles has some talent but he also has several strikes against him, not the least of which is his age. I'm expecting him to drop below the current expectations folks have for his Draft stock.

Not hearing as much about Ramczyk anymore. I think his medical situation will be OK but I thought now there was a question about his love for the game. Can't remember where I read it though. Senior moment I guess! :thinking:

Yea Bolles has some talent but he also has several strikes against him, not the least of which is his age. I'm expecting him to drop below the current expectations folks have for his Draft stock.

He plays like a mad man and with a real strength program could be a very good left tackle, he will have a shorter career but if he is there @25 it would be a great pick up.

Not hearing as much about Ramczyk anymore. I think his medical situation will be OK but I thought now there was a question about his love for the game. Can't remember where I read it though. Senior moment I guess! :thinking:
So Insideop you spent last night at a Holiday Inn ?

So Insideop you spent last night at a Holiday Inn ?

Ha ha ha! No! Unfortunately I was at work and it's no Holiday Inn. I just can't remember where I read he should be fine medically but his "love of the game" was being called into question now.

Ha ha ha! No! Unfortunately I was at work and it's no Holiday Inn. I just can't remember where I read he should be fine medically but his "love of the game" was being called into question now.

Basically he didn't really want to play football.

from CBS Sports

WEAKNESSES: Relatively inexperienced against top competition, as he did not take a snap at the FBS level until 2016, following transfers from a Division II program where he never played and then to a school close to his home that did not have a football program, so NFL teams will want to gauge his true passion for the game. Does not show a lot of fire in his play. Can get lazy with his technique, failing to bend at the knees, at times and getting too high with his hands. Occasionally over-sets to his left, leaving too much room between himself and the guard. Requires a careful check by team doctors at the Combine due to his recent hip surgery.

Garret Bolles update

per rotoworld

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passes along that a whopping 19 NFL OL coaches attended Utah's pro day on Thursday.

The Jets, Browns, Jaguars and Lions were among that large crew of offensive line coaches. Garrett Bolles was one of the star attractions and did not disappoint. The 6-foot-5, 297-pounder stood by his stellar Combine testing results, but did take part in positional drills, with Pauline writing that he "left no doubt he’s the premiere left tackle in the draft." A first-round lock, Pauline is hearing that he could climb as high as a top-12 selection and that most insiders he has spoken with think that top-20 is pretty much a done deal.

So he stopped playing for a year after HS and that year off is the root of the question.

He's answered that he wasn't sure what he wanted to do at 18 and the year off made him realize how much he missed the game.

He since worked his way up through the lower levels through to Wisconsin and here we are.

Fine by me.

Texans just cut Bergstorm

After last season in FA Bergstrom/Os etc... maybe Ricky was smart to develop a new strategy, Not sign any FA's because he realized he sucked at it and was wasting daddy's $$$$ and you know how much daddy loves his $$$$.

Back