Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Hahaha no he can't.

I'll break this down for you, 28 passes and 10 presures and atleast 2 sacks. The pressure was the reason they ran the ball (Poorly) so much. That doesn't include the sacks I know there were atleast 2 sacks. Do you know how many sacks Denver got.

I know on Chubb's sack Watson ran out of the pocket (prematurely imo) putting Kelemente in no position to block Chubb. Had he stayed in the pocket a little longer & threw it away, it wouldn't have been a sack.

I'll break this down for you, 28 passes and 10 presures and atleast 2 sacks. The pressure was the reason they ran the ball (Poorly) so much. That doesn't include the sacks I know there were atleast 2 sacks. Do you know how many sacks Denver got.

You're moving the goal post bud. Davenport wasn't responsible for all 5 sacks. And Chubbs didn't sack him 5 times either. Lol
:uprights:

Denver was credited with 4 sacks according to the NFL.com site. Miller, Chubb, Wolfe, and DeMarcus Walker were each given credit for one sack.

As for Davenport, I'm not sure if he was given credit for allowing any of those sacks or not, but what I will say is that this is only his 10th or 11th NFL start. How good was DB after 10 or 11 starts? Is Davenport showing any progress? I believe he is. I'm not saying he will ever be a Pro Bowler or anything like that, but I do believe he is showing some kind of progress and that gives me hope he will be able to hold his own by the end of the season. At this point it's all we can hope for. I would just like to to see the whole line play as one cohesive unit, all in sync with each other, to give Watson the best protection they can and keep him healthy!

Denver was credited with 4 sacks according to the NFL.com site. Miller, Chubb, Wolfe, and DeMarcus Walker were each given credit for one sack.

As for Davenport, I'm not sure if he was given credit for allowing any of those sacks or not, but what I will say is that this is only his 10th or 11th NFL start. How good was DB after 10 or 11 starts? Is Davenport showing any progress? I believe he is. I'm not saying he will ever be a Pro Bowler or anything like that, but I do believe he is showing some kind of progress and that gives me hope he will be able to hold his own by the end of the season. At this point it's all we can hope for. I would just like to to see the whole line play as one cohesive unit, all in sync with each other, to give Watson the best protection they can and keep him healthy!

I would like to see Watson better protected too.

Davenport is the best they've got, but he doesn't have the feet or strength in his base to ever be a starting LT in the NFL. Is he improving yes, he's actually improving in run blocking but still trips over his own feet if he has to move his feet to redirect a speed rusher.

If a pass rusher wants to beat him all the have to do is start an upfield pass rush then spin back inside, that throws Davenport off balance and because his lower body lacks strength he gets run over on the DE's way to the QB. That ain't going to change with 30 starts.

And one on Griffin
not sure I saw the Griffin the sack the same way, either he doesnt care at all, or he was just chipping and then going on a route and after the chip noone picked Chubb up. If it was his man, agree pathetic effort, but it really looked like he had chip and route responsibilities

One of those was on Watson.

And one on Griffin
not sure I saw the Griffin the sack the same way, either he doesnt care at all, or he was just chipping and then going on a route and after the chip noone picked Chubb up. If it was his man, agree pathetic effort, but it really looked like he had chip and route responsibilities

If it was just a chip, it was a piss poor effort. Looked to me like his responsibilty... first sack of the game Iirc

So there were 4 sacks not 2 as Cak posted and 10 pressures on 28 throws and posters on this MB think the OL had a good game. LOL This also includes constant help from TE's/RB's, in addition to the running game sucking. They should fire all of these guys and start over if that's their talent level.

So there were 4 sacks not 2 as Cak posted and 10 pressures on 28 throws and posters on this MB think the OL had a good game. LOL This also includes constant help from TE's/RB's, in addition to the running game sucking. They should fire all of these guys and start over if that's their talent level.
40 seconds into TK video highlights you see Chubbs sack. Griffin pushes Chubb and then goes to the flat with his hand up, saying he was a receiver. D looks at Chubb racing to his QB and seems to go oops or WTF. Hard to judge, if Griffin whiffed he is trying to make up for it by being an outlet. If D forgot the plan, he could have gotten DW4 killed. In either case, they are protecting better more often. Griffin should play less, I dont see what he has over the young bucks, certainly not blocking and the other guys can catch and TRY to block

Davenport was a great pick. He was projected to be a project who “could develop” into a starting tackle (fits RT prototype) in a couple years.

So because of Brown situation and lack of using draft resources for years it caught Texans with their pants down and players not yet ready have been thrown into the fire. So Julie’n was moved from right side, then to left without reps and knowledge base to adjust as starter in the NFL.

Struggles with speed and power rush moves should be expected but it’s how he’s developed so far that’s impressive. False starts are down as are holding calls and Watson has become more affective and comfortable in the pocket.

Davenport was a great pick. He was projected to be a project who “could develop” into a starting tackle (fits RT prototype) in a couple years.

So because of Brown situation and lack of using draft resources for years it caught Texans with their pants down and players not yet ready have been thrown into the fire. So Julie’n was moved from right side, then to left without reps and knowledge base to adjust as starter in the NFL.

Struggles with speed and power rush moves should be expected but it’s how he’s developed so far that’s impressive. False starts are down as are holding calls and Watson has become more affective and comfortable in the pocket.

10 pressures and 4 sacks in 28 throws would suggest Watson wasn't comfortable in the pocket. (Not all on Davenport, he's just the worst of a sorry lot.)

40 seconds into TK video highlights you see Chubbs sack. Griffin pushes Chubb and then goes to the flat with his hand up, saying he was a receiver. D looks at Chubb racing to his QB and seems to go oops or WTF. Hard to judge, if Griffin whiffed he is trying to make up for it by being an outlet. If D forgot the plan, he could have gotten DW4 killed. In either case, they are protecting better more often. Griffin should play less, I dont see what he has over the young bucks, certainly not blocking and the other guys can catch and TRY to block

Chubb didn't get his sack until late in the game

Let's say you're right. Griffen was supposed to chip then release. Watch Davenport, was he too slow to get over? Was he "worked" by Chubb? Or did he just screw up his responsibility?

IMO, if anything he was wrong about what he was supposed to do, if he was to come over & pick up Chubb. If that's what he was supposed to do, he should not have bothered with an initial double team on the DE. But since he did initially attack the DE looks like he thought Griffen was going to funnel Chubb inside, to him.

Still, if it were Davenport's mistake (which it was most likely as the Center & Guard doubled the DE) it's not one of those, "This guy doesn't have what it takes to play LT in this league."

More like, "He's a project, has to play smarter."

At least they're giving #4 a chance. At the beginning of the year this line looked like the worst assembled line in the history of american football. At least they're out there 'battling' .. Davenport is still getting abused, but some of the other guys are picking up the slack Lamm specifically I've been pleasantly surprised by his game lately. Hopefully they keep gaining chemistry and become an average line is all anyone can hope for.

At least they're giving #4 a chance. At the beginning of the year this line looked like the worst assembled line in the history of american football. At least they're out there 'battling' .. Davenport is still getting abused, but some of the other guys are picking up the slack Lamm specifically I've been pleasantly surprised by his game lately. Hopefully they keep gaining chemistry and become an average line is all anyone can hope for.

poor blocking scheme's with the coaches giving the line almost no help lead to what we saw early in the year. Now we have7 guys blocking on almost every pass play, even if its just a chip. It really isn't a sustainable play style though, but it's going to have to be good enough to get us through the year

My biggest concern is every year BOB has been here, the OL has gotten worse every season. We keep thinking, it can’t get any worse than this... then they prove us wrong. Even if you think Rick was the problem, Gaine’s acquisitions (Kelemente, Fulton, Rankin) aren’t proving to be any better thus far. If the pattern continues... yikes!!!

I think Griffin screwed the pooch on the block & then opened himself up for a pass. He is part of my off season plan to add his $2.75 million to a contract for L. Bell. The rookie TEs will be good next season with maybe a UDFA added.

Some on this MB think Davenport has improved to avg. LOL

He was a 4th rd pick. Imagine if all late round picks were as good for Texans and least competed for a significant starting roles? Don’t see how he could be worst of a sorry lot :cow:

I guess you are right.

Davenport could be Nicks or T. Williams

Thanks Ricky

I guess you are right.

Davenport could be Nicks or T. Williams

Thanks Ricky and O'Brien
FIFY
You'll never convince me that someone with enough Kirby Ave power to get the godfather pushed aside just sat passively and let the draft happen without his input.

My biggest concern is every year BOB has been here, the OL has gotten worse every season. We keep thinking, it can’t get any worse than this... then they prove us wrong. Even if you think Rick was the problem, Gaine’s acquisitions (Kelemente, Fulton, Rankin) aren’t proving to be any better thus far. If the pattern continues... yikes!!!

lol Kelemente and Fulton have been miles better than X and Allen

Smith might have taken the card up to the podium but you'll not convince me that O'Brien (with Devlin's advice) wasn't the guy who filled it out
:)

So Ricky's job for 12 yrs and 2 regimes was to deliver the card to the podium? Seems about right seeing the results.

We were the #1 offense in the league with X and Allen. As a unit, the OL looked better when Watson was playing. We are no where close to the offense we were during that spurt last season. So what’s the difference?

Davenport and Watson coming off of injury.

BOB being conservative also contributes to this.

I was the biggest critic of the OL in both last seasons and this seasons OL in both preseasons. And even I have to admit this seasons OL is better. Still terrible but better.

This is part of the mini re-build that's going on. I think the OL will be improved next offseason with a full compliment of draft picks. Hopefully Devlin wont be part of the scouting process and for that matter hopefully he will be gone.

An unfair statement. Rankin was out all offseason and preseason and has tried to come back from injury without the background for proper preparation. Kelemente has been on the injury report almost from day one. Fulton started the season with a shoulder issue then went on to a high ankle injury.

An unfair statement. Rankin was out all offseason and preseason and has tried to come back from injury without the background for proper preparation. Kelemente has been on the injury report almost from day one. Fulton started the season with a shoulder issue then went on to a high ankle injury.

Well this should be said for last season as well Doc. That Oline got hit hard with all the injuries but some still burnt only Rick for that. This just shows it happens right. Or perhaps people only see what they want to see when it lines up with their motive.

Not saying you have a agenda/motive Doc. Let's get that disclaimer note quickly. Lol

But you get my drift

This is what's bothered me the since before the season even started. There was little depth to begin with, but to have Rankin (your only O-line draft pick) hurt during the off-season, then lose your starting RT (Henderson) at the beginning of the season, and compound that with the others suffering the normal injuries that NFL O-linemen get during a long season, well it looks like a very fragile situation that could end up being very bad for Watson! I'm keeping my "fingers crossed" that the remaining O-linemen can stay healthy and play well together to keep Watson safe for the rest of the season!

This is what's bothered me the since before the season even started. There was little depth to begin with, but to have Rankin (your only O-line draft pick) hurt during the off-season, then lose your starting RT (Henderson) at the beginning of the season, and compound that with the others suffering the normal injuries that NFL O-linemen get during a long season, well it looks like a very fragile situation that could end up being very bad for Watson! I'm keeping my "fingers crossed" that the remaining O-linemen can stay healthy and play well together to keep Watson safe for the rest of the season!

This is where I'm at.

If Watson gets out of this season healthy then the season has been a success. Because you know this team is lacking in talent to be a true championship contender.

Back