Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Source: Vick 'one of the heavyweights' in dogfighting

The more & more that comes out about this, the more & more i think it's more of the case that his cousin was "hustlin" on the side. I just finished reading Infantr.. article & the animal control lady pretty much said that the dogs were in pretty good shape save for some cuts here & there.

IMO what i think happened is that MV probably asked his cousin to take care of his dogs while he was away for the football season, his cousin & god knows who else of the possible 10 people who had access to the home, saw an oportunity to make money on the side by fighting the dogs. That's the only real reason people fight dogs anyway, so they can make money & we know MV shouldn't be hurting for any of that.

It's also no secret that the money being bet on these things isn't really chump change either, the informant spoke to that in the Outside the lines interview.

But then there are the Nate Newton's of the world who just do stupid &^$% just to be the "best" at it, so i don't know.

I'm not so naive as to think that Vick has no culpability in this whole ordeal, Like 2nd honeymoon says, where there's smoke there's fire, but the amount is the sketchy part. Bottom line, when a good portion of your family comes from the ghetto & 1 makes it out, there is somewhat of a "crabs in a barrel" mentality amongst many of those who are theoretically supposed to be in your corner.

Mr teX, meet reality. Reality, meet Mr. teX. I will let you two get aquainted. :devilpig:

I get the feeling that Vick is going to be hearing the classic song 'Who Let The Dogs Out?!?' more than a few times this year.

His first two games are on the road against Minnesota and Jacksonville. I don't see him playing his third one. He'll find some way to implode by then. If he doesn't, then Arthur Blank will.

If nothing else, this story is good for the national media to shed some light on this despicable subculture.

From Profootballtalk.com. Something indeed stinks.

SEARCH WARRANT TO BE ABANDONED?

Something stinks in Surry County, Virginia. It might be the rotting flesh of dogs buried on property that Mike Vick previously owned or still owns, depending on whether the abrupt sale of it at less than half its appraised value has been finalized.

But we won't know for sure whether that's the case, because investigators apparently will not be pushing the issue of whether a search warrant will be issued, and executed, to search for dog carcasses and other evidence of illegal dog fighting.

Updating reports from earlier in the day, Patrick Terpstra of WVEC-TV reports that there are no plans to seek the re-issuance of a search warrant that was rejected by Surry County prosecutor Gerald Poindexter. Per Terpstra, investigators believe that they already have enough evidence to proceed with charges.

But, even so, why not search the land for the bodies of dogs that either died in the pit or were killed after losing? If there was/is a problem with the warrant, a judge won't pitch the evidence that was previously obtained on that basis. The only evidence that would be barred is the stuff found the second time around. If there's already enough other evidence to proceed, there's no down side to looking for more proof.

At a minimum, we think that Poindexter and, to the extent that he truly agreed with Poindexter's position, Sheriff Harold Brown need to explain to the media in detail the reason(s) for nixing the warrant after it had been issued.

Ya know this is going to get swept away because this Poindexter guy has no balls what so ever.

I wonder if he has a nice brand new home purchased at half of the value?

Something stinks in Surry County, Virginia. It might be the rotting flesh of dogs buried on property that Mike Vick previously owned or still owns, depending on whether the abrupt sale of it at less than half its appraised value has been finalized.

But we won't know for sure whether that's the case, because investigators apparently will not be pushing the issue of whether a search warrant will be issued, and executed, to search for dog carcasses and other evidence of illegal dog fighting.

Updating reports from earlier in the day, Patrick Terpstra of WVEC-TV reports that there are no plans to seek the re-issuance of a search warrant that was rejected by Surry County prosecutor Gerald Poindexter. Per Terpstra, investigators believe that they already have enough evidence to proceed with charges.

But, even so, why not search the land for the bodies of dogs that either died in the pit or were killed after losing? If there was/is a problem with the warrant, a judge won't pitch the evidence that was previously obtained on that basis. The only evidence that would be barred is the stuff found the second time around. If there's already enough other evidence to proceed, there's no down side to looking for more proof.

At a minimum, we think that Poindexter and, to the extent that he truly agreed with Poindexter's position, Sheriff Harold Brown need to explain to the media in detail the reason(s) for nixing the warrant after it had been issued.

Hmm...something's fishy with this Poindexter character.:spy:

This all smells like the prosection/county are getting leaned on by a 3rd party to bury this whole thing under the rug or at least prevent the prosecution from putting together a solid case. The NFL doesn't want this story to get out and doesnt want it to dominate NFL discussion for the near future. I predict that Vick will either be charged and suspended or cleared and exonerated by the time the season starts. I also feel that the rejection of the warrant was a tactic to lessen the prosecution's case for reasons yet unclear.

tell me you really don't believe that. fight his dogs 'on the side'?!?! so when MV comes home wouldnt he notice that a few of his dogs had been murdered in the ring? wouldn't he notice the houses in the back painted black? wouldn't he notice blood?

what happened is this. vick had his cousin oversee the operation so Vick could stay at an arms distance. vick financed the whole thing (which is irrefutable based on the fact the cousin was unemployed). feeding 100 fighting dogs each day is not a cheap venture. I bet they spend upwards of $200/day on feeding those animals. The cousin got involved in some drugs and got pinched. This gave authorities an excuse to investigate the rumored and alleged presence of dogs and dog fighting items on the property.

That lady from the Virigina Dog Fighting Task Force from Infantrycak's linked article didn't sound too happy with Vick. I think Vick may be made an example of by this lady. If they find beagle bones on that property, Vick needs to go away for quite a long time.

Come on man, Your saying that Vick did all this for.................... money? That really doesn't make much sense for 1 & 2 Okay, so it's not cheap to raise 100 some odd pitbulls, but with the money that's flying around in these fights, basically all Vick or whoever had to do was win like 1-2 dog fights & they're set up with expenses & whatnot for a pretty long time. Vick is paid, he doesn't need to fight dogs to get money, his cousins & those he associates with aren't; you guys are underestimating that little facet of this story ALOT.

You're right, the lady didn't sound too happy with Vick but she also acknowledged that the dogs were in pretty good shape aside from a few cuts here & there on some of them which was contrary to initial reports of them being emaciated & in bad shape. As far as noticing a few of his dogs murdered? what out of a 100 dogs he notices a few of them missing? that's like saying which 1 of my 101 dalmations is missing without counting them.

Again, i'm not discounting Vick's involvement on some level, but you guys are acting like it's cut & dry that he's the crime boss in all of this & nothing concrete has surfaced to prove it as so. Poindexter evidently feels that way that's why they haven't acted...........................yet.

This all smells like the prosection/county are getting leaned on by a 3rd party to bury this whole thing under the rug or at least prevent the prosecution from putting together a solid case. The NFL doesn't want this story to get out and doesnt want it to dominate NFL discussion for the near future. I predict that Vick will either be charged and suspended or cleared and exonerated by the time the season starts. I also feel that the rejection of the warrant was a tactic to lessen the prosecution's case for reasons yet unclear.

What do you mean get out? according to the article posted by Infantry, PETA & everyone else are phoning in & sending tips & crap trying to "land" this case & use Vick as a watershed case for their cause.

Looks like Poindexter hasn't completely backed off yet.

(also from PFT)

GRAND JURY COULD CONVENE SOON IN DOG-FIGHTING CASE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that authorities investigating evidence of dog-fighting found at property owned in Virginia by Falcons quarterback Mike Vick could have enough proof to seek an indictment.

It's not presently known, however, whether Vick is one of the persons whom authorities would attempt to indict.

The grand jury process entails a one-sided presentation of evidence by the prosecutor, and the members of the grand jury then decide based on the information that is presented whether to issue indictments.

The evidence reportedly includes information from two individuals who have contacted investigators regarding the situation -- one of the persons is located in Virginia, and the other is located in another state. On Tuesday, Surry County prosecutor Gerald Poindexter reportedly was doing "due diligence" research on the background of one of the Virginia resident who has come forward. Investigators will soon be traveling to conduct similar research as to the other person.

The AJC also reports that Poindexter has not ruled out resurrecting the search warrant for dog remains that he refused to execute on Tuesday. The new warrant, issued by a magistrate and requested by an investigator from the Sheriff's office, was rejected by Poindexter and Sheriff Harold Brown because of concerns regarding its language.

"We'll go in if we have to," Poindexter said. He declined to comment on whether he believes he has enough evidence to proceed with charges absent another search of the property.

Come on man, Your saying that Vick did all this for.................... money? That really doesn't make much sense for 1 & 2 Okay, so it's not cheap to raise 60 some odd pitbulls, but with the money that's flying around in these fights, basically all Vick or whoever had to do was win like 1-2 dog fights & they're set up with expenses & whatnot for a pretty long time.

You're right, the lady didn't sound too happy with Vick but she also acknowledged that the dogs were in pretty good shape aside from a few cuts here & there on some of them which was contrary to initial reports of them being emaciated & in bad shape. As far as noticing a few of his dogs murdered? what out of a 100 dogs he notices a few of them missing? that's like saying which 1 of my 101 dalmations is missing without counting them.

Again, i'm not discounting Vick's involvement on some level, but you guys are acting like it's cut & dry that he's the crime boss in all of this & nothing concrete has surfaced to prove it as so. Poindexter evidently feels that way that's why they haven't acted...........................yet.

This ain't about the money. This is about him being involved with an inhumane and evil bloodsport. Not just involved, but one of the 'big dogs', no pun intended. Vick and the other sick bastards who engage in this immoral activity aren't doing it for money. They are doing it for the rush of adrenaline, the feeling of playing God, and the brutal violence of it.

Vick funds the whole dog thing because he is into it. it is his hobby. Breeding dogs to kill other dogs is his hobby. If he can offset some of his expenses by winning a bet on his dogs or by selling 'pre-trained' dogs, so be it but its not the allure of money that has Vick in the game. It's his own twisted little brain that has him in this game. He thinks its somehow cool to have dogs kill each other and he thinks its cool to train them to do so. I wouldn't be sad if this whole thing shuts down his career and shines a light on this subhuman subculture....

This ain't about the money. This is about him being involved with an inhumane and evil bloodsport. Not just involved, but one of the 'big dogs', no pun intended. Vick and the other sick bastards who engage in this immoral activity aren't doing it for money. They are doing it for the rush of adrenaline, the feeling of playing God, and the brutal violence of it.

Vick funds the whole dog thing because he is into it. it is his hobby. Breeding dogs to kill other dogs is his hobby. If he can offset some of his expenses by winning a bet on his dogs or by selling 'pre-trained' dogs, so be it but its not the allure of money that has Vick in the game. It's his own twisted little brain that has him in this game. He thinks its somehow cool to have dogs kill each other and he thinks its cool to train them to do so. I wouldn't be sad if this whole thing shuts down his career and shines a light on this subhuman subculture....

As far as the bolded, OKKAAAY, you keep believing that.

No doubt it's a demented way to entertain yourself, but your speaking from the court of public opinion In which case, Vick has already been brought out to the mob, locked down into the guillotine & now he's basically waiting for his head to be chopped off. He's already leaned on his cousin in the media, If his cousin had anything on MV he'd better speak up now. maybe the buried dogs in the other house is info from his cousin?

As far as the bolded, OKKAAAY, you keep believing that.

No doubt it's a demented way to entertain yourself, but your speaking from the court of public opinion In which case, Vick has already been brought out to the mob, locked down into the guillotine & now he's basically waiting for his head to be chopped off. He's already leaned on his cousin in the media, If his cousin had anything on MV he'd better speak up now. maybe the buried dogs in the other house is info from his cousin?

Vick makes like 20million annually. Dogfighting is small potatoes compared to that. He engages in dogfighting to quench his sick and perverted thirst for blood.

I bet SH and a bunch of other folks including myself will keep on believing that because the opposite position, i.e. that dog fighting is done solely for money, is absurd.

Not saying it's solely for money...... but about 80% of it is.....

Not saying it's solely for money...... but about 80% of it is.....

So, it's like a part-time job then? He must be feeling the pinch from the gas prices just like the rest of us. :ok:

I guess times are tough for everybody. Even multi-millionaires.

Seems like everday more and more incriminating evidence comes out against MV...

There is no way Vick isn't guilty, or didn't know what was being done...I dunno if he was ever physically at dog fights (he probably was, but since he held them at his house he probably had some way of watching without being seen), but there's no way I can be convinced that he didn't have a large role in this....I still don't know if a jury is going to convict him with the evidence that is currently available, but if it keeps mounting MV may be using his world class speed and agility to dodge Big Bruce, his cellmate...

Which brings me to anther question...If MV is convicted of a felony would he be put into the general population or seperated ?

There is no way Vick isn't guilty, or didn't know what was being done...I dunno if he was ever physically at dog fights (he probably was, but since he held them at his house he probably had some way of watching without being seen), but there's no way I can be convinced that he didn't have a large role in this....I still don't know if a jury is going to convict him with the evidence that is currently available, but if it keeps mounting MV may be using his world class speed and agility to dodge Big Bruce, his cellmate...

Which brings me to anther question...If MV is convicted of a felony would he be put into the general population or seperated ?

Pry bar or rape stand. THAT is the question.

I believe Kimbo is in jail for his street fights. Why not put Vick in a cell with Kimbo? VIck would be squirming around like a little *****.

Separated im sure... people with celebrity status (famous and/or infamous) typically are for their own protection and to keep things smoother at the facility.

That said, I would be very surprised if he got more than a short stint at a local jail...even that might be pushing it. I see a hefty fine with community service and a couple years probation in his future.

That said, I would be very surprised if he got more than a short stint at a local jail...even that might be pushing it. I see a hefty fine with community service and a couple years probation in his future.

You are probably correct BUT at what point does the general public get fed up with seeing celebrities get away with or just the proverbial slap on the wrist for things the average joe gets several years for ? ..... Those Judges do have to get re-elected .

Something seems very odd to me about that warrant not being persued , Sure looks to the casual observer like some dirty politics goin on .....

You are probably correct BUT at what point does the general public get fed up with seeing celebrities get away with or just the proverbial slap on the wrist for things the average joe gets several years for ? ..... Those Judges do have to get re-elected .

Something seems very odd to me about that warrant not being persued , Sure looks to the casual observer like some dirty politics goin on .....

I agree...they seem to be afraid/reluctant to really throw the book at him the way they would anyone else. Hopefully something actually comes of this in the court system...the public and government shouldn't be bowing down to celebrities.

I agree...they seem to be afraid/reluctant to really throw the book at him the way they would anyone else. Hopefully something actually comes of this in the court system...the public and government shouldn't be bowing down to celebrities.

I think its more like bowing down to the NFL and its huge multi-national corporate sponsors. Vick is one of the icons of the league and its not good business for this kind of sick behavior to get much more public than it already is.

After all, if you can buy a presidency, you can surely buy a podunk county DA...:tinfoil:

I think its more like bowing down to the NFL and its huge multi-national corporate sponsors. Vick is one of the icons of the league and its not good business for this kind of sick behavior to get much more public than it already is.

After all, if you can buy a presidency, you can surely buy a podunk county DA.....:ironicsarcasm:

True...the NFL is like the head of the giant monster, the teams are the tentacles and each player becomes a little suction cup on the tentacles. Some are stronger than others..sometimes just a one cup will come after you, sometimes just one tentacle, sometimes the entire monster...

No different than a corporation, just more entertaining than watching bald fat guys work in a cubicle.

So, it's like a part-time job then? He must be feeling the pinch from the gas prices just like the rest of us. :ok:

I guess times are tough for everybody. Even multi-millionaires.

You guys are making my point for me & i don't even think you realize it. B/c of all of the money that floats around this "sport" it stands to reason that MV would be the least likely guy to be at the head of it.... b/c he already has lots of it.

*** I am not saying MV wasn't involved in all of this on some level!***

I'm just saying that IMO his cousin probably had more of a hand in it than you guys want to believe b/c he's the guy most likely hurtin' for cash. I mean, the police went there on the premise that drugs might be present. What, you think they just went there to find a little bag of weed or something? They only make house calls like that when a signifcant amount might be present & what do people usually do with significant amounts of durgs? Smoke it all up, or sell it? I guess MV was selling drugs too huh?

When you come from where lots of these guys come from, there's literally a "get rich by any means available" attitude. MV represents the guy who made it out but that doesn't mean LOTS of the people around him arent' still in that mode.

& Porky you don't exactly have to be a genius to know that most things done illegally in this world are usually done for money/power & that's pretty much in all facets of society. That goes From Enron, Worldcomm to this crap.

I'm just saying that IMO his cousin probably had more of a hand in it than you guys want to believe b/c he's the guy most likely hurtin' for cash.

Nobody is doubting that the cousin may have played a huge part, heck he may have run the whole thing (with Vick's money) but that doesn't really matter because if Vick knew about it, supported it or attended at all he is guilty of a felony and they will both get prosecuted.

and the beat goes on.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2888085

It looks like Vick is hosed. It's looking like he will be indicted along with his cousin and that spells one thing.....SUSPENSION.

Gooddell has to suspend Vick before this season starts or this black eye is only going to get worse for the NFL. And the NFL owes it to Atlanta to let them know whether they will have their franchise player or not as soon as possible.

Upon reading this article Michael Vick said 'D'oh!'

I think anybody that gets pleasure out of watching dogs fight or participating in the actual arranging of these fights maybe got knocked out of their momma's arms when they were babes and suffered a head injury.

This stuff is sick!

You want more than just smoke. You're always looking for the smoking gun.

Wouldnt that smoking gun be the dead bodies of these dogs possibly burried there ? No those corpses wouldnt implicate Vick directly but it would be strong evidence that there was dog fighting going on on the premisis .

This whole mess with the warrant not being executed .... smells.

The NFL, which has offered the services of its security department to assist local authorities in the investigation, continues to monitor the proceedings closely.

Really , why would the local authorities need the NFL security depatrment around the crime scene ?

Wouldnt that smoking gun be the dead bodies of these dogs possibly burried there ? No those corpses wouldnt implicate Vick directly but it would be strong evidence that there was dog fighting going on on the premisis .

This whole mess with the warrant not being executed .... smells.

Really , why would the local authorities need the NFL security depatrment around the crime scene ?

Most organizations hire ex-high level police officers like homicide detectives and or former FBI agents. Not sure whom the NFL employs but I know from my experience whom companies hire.

When asked why he did not execute the warrant, Poindexter said, "Because I didn't like the language of the search warrant."
"Deputy Brinkman made a mistake. He should have gotten some legal advice during the affidavit for the search warrant," said Poindexter.
Poindexter called it the domino effect. If one search is determined unconstitutional, searches after that could be illegal too and the case could fall apart.
When asked, "At this moment in time, do we have any evidence that puts Vick at dog fighting?" Poindexter replied, "Yes."

Poindexter said there are people who will make those claims. "We have informants. We have people who are volunteering to make those allegations."
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6589602&nav=23ii

Well, if they've got several people that will place MV @ the dog fights, he'll have trouble dodging that, but the major thing i think they'll need to maximize their case against him is going to be a paper trail leading straight to him... otherwise he's going to get off relatively light IMO.

So I am curious what everyone believes will happen with this. It looks like the evidence is building and that Vick is in trouble, but I am wondering what we all think will happen in reality.

In the perfect world he would be convicted, sent to jail, and banished form the NFL, but I am worried that when it comes down to it he will get off on some unforseen technicality.

So I am curious what everyone believes will happen with this. It looks like the evidence is building and that Vick is in trouble, but I am wondering what we all think will happen in reality.

In the perfect world he would be convicted, sent to jail, and banished form the NFL, but I am worried that when it comes down to it he will get off on some unforseen technicality.

If enough of the trail leads to him and even if he gets off on a technicality i would hope Goddell would still have the sense to suspend him. It's already enough of a black eye as it is for the NFL. Even though he probably won't spend any time in jail i think his NFL career is pretty near tanked.... i mean I'm sure Gruden is looking for another QB.

I get the feeling Brohm will be thier first pick next year.

You can buy justice. He has money and can hire the best attorney money can buy, so he can buy justice. It is how the system is setup, sadly.

I doubt that this will happen, but even if he gets off clean, then he'll be a pariah. From PFT.

VICK TEAMMATES "AMUSED" BY HIS CURRENT SITUATION

An industry source tells us that the current talk among current and former Falcons teammates of quarterback Mike Vick is that multiple players are "amused" by the difficulties that Vick currently is facing.

It's one of the realities of sports teams that grant premature royalty status to one member of the locker room. Vick previously had been able to do pretty much whatever he wanted to do, with no real scrutiny or restraint from the front office. As a matter of basic human nature, other players who witnessed this dynamic will feel a certain sense of satisfaction when the man who used to be king no longer sits on the throne.

Though we're not hearing that teammates are taking malicious glee in Vick's present circumstances, there's definitely a feeling that many of them find funny the fact that the guy who used to rule the roost in Atlanta is now on the run.

There's also a strong contingent among Falcons fans that just don't like the guy. I would bet that his own stadium will seem a lot like enemy territory unless he has an All-Pro season. Away stadiums will have no love for him either. :bat:

Yup, if you have enough money you can always get off.

Signed,

Jeff Skilling & Ken Lay

It's a silly generalization exacerbated by TV, but I think money can to significant extent buy justice. But there are political and other factors that substantially influence the process in either direction as well, much moreso than money, I would argue. If the government(s) at various levels are under pressure or want to make an example out of the criminal in question, odds might well be biased favorably toward a successful prosecution.

Although I think and believe simpson is guilty, the prosecuters and the detctives blew that one worse than any case in the history of American judicial system.

And hopefully thats why Poindexter is making sure he gets the wording right and has all his ducks in a row before he goes after a man with a large amount of money and probably a group of very costly lawyers.

Well, if they've got several people that will place MV @ the dog fights, he'll have trouble dodging that, but the major thing i think they'll need to maximize their case against him is going to be a paper trail leading straight to him... otherwise he's going to get off relatively light IMO.

I agree with you that he will probably get off light on the legal charges but if he is even indicted as part of a drug fighting ring he will be suspended for half of 2007 at least. If he was to plead guilty or be convicted of being part of the ring he would get a year for sure. If no charges are filed and no indictment is issued he will probably get off scot-free from the NFL. My point is that $$ and legal BS can get you out of a lot of trouble with the courts but the NFL Commissioner is a different case altogether. Just ask Pac (never convicted) or Ricky Williams (testing positive for smoking bud) they lost millions and got suspended without convictions.

I also think NFL Security could be a Wild Card in this whole thing. They will probably have an easier time coming across information than the authorities. No one wants to be a snitch to the police but maybe they have an easier time talking to NFL Security....especially if they are players in the NFL. What would they do with this information? Keep the info confidential but suspend him for what they felt was proof of his involvement. Would any information from NFL Security be admissable in court? If the NFL Security then gives info or leads to the police, it could get ugly for Vick.

And hopefully thats why Poindexter is making sure he gets the wording right and has all his ducks in a row before he goes after a man with a large amount of money and probably a group of very costly lawyers.

I do not have issue with that at all. what I have issue with him is he said he did not like the language in the warrent for searching for dog remains and then said that it would not be re-issued. Why not re-issue it with the right wording and find out all the facts of the case versus leaving some facts out.

I thought Jeff Skilling got convicted....

Now Ken Lay is a different story. He took the easy way out....

That was his point when I said money can buy justice. I still firmly believe that our system needs a tweak to it.

In the court of public opinion, he's already found guilty. I'd imagine that road games are going to be tough, especially with drunk, rowdy NFL fans. I expect to see that middle finger of his a couple of more times this season....if he's playing.

Back