Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

I just don't see shifting $7M of the Cap hit to 2015 when we need it most.

The cap goes up & several other contracts expire.

If we cut Schaub & take the cap hit in 2014, 2015's cap hit increases $17M.

If we cut Schaub & make him a June 1st Cut, 2015's cap hit increases to $10M.... we're still saving money.

Taking the full hit in 2014 gives us an additional $4M in 2014 & $17M in 2015.
Making him a June 1st cut will give us an additional $10M in both 2014 & 2015.

The cap goes up & several other contracts expire.

If we cut Schaub & take the cap hit in 2014, 2015's cap hit increases $17M.

If we cut Schaub & make him a June 1st Cut, 2015's cap hit increases to $10M.... we're still saving money.

Taking the full hit in 2014 gives us an additional $4M in 2014 & $17M in 2015.
Making him a June 1st cut will give us an additional $10M in both 2014 & 2015.

Required additions in 2014 and 2015 will reduce the 2015 cap space significantly. Let's just see how it plays out. I fully expect Schaub to be a regular cut. If we want him, we make a new contract as a veteran backup.

I'll tell you this, if Schaub is a June 1st cut, JJ is gone after 2015.

Which is why you aren't a GM. 2015 will also have our draft choices and replacements for FAs, at least many of them. The $25M shrinks drastically with required roster additions in 2014. This is why you have to be more skilled than a message board poster to be GM. We still need space in 2015 if we hope to keep JJ around.

No doubt, I'm just a message board hack, but I guarantee you Jj Watt will not have anywhere near a $10M cap hit for 2015.

ryan mallet is still my favorite. go look at his twitter account, I think something might be brewing, just hope it's with the Texans. a lot of people keep asking him if he's going to be traded and one of his last tweets is "patience, it's coming".

ryan mallet is still my favorite. go look at his twitter account, I think something might be brewing, just hope it's with the Texans. a lot of people keep asking him if he's going to be traded and one of his last tweets is "patience, it's coming".

I don't know how anyone follows a conversation on twitter..... so many people chiming in, throwing their 2 cents whereever... I don't know if he's talking about being a Viking, or starting for the Patriots.

Jets supposedly interested in Josh McGowen.

Since we're bringing up Josh McGowen and his ilk, how about aiming just a little higher? (if someone has mentioned this so far I apologize. Too many pages.)

Matt McGloin.

With the Raiders sitting at #5 and almost certainly picking a QB somewhere in the 1st two rounds, we take Clowney at #1, which drops other available QBs down to the Jags, Browns, Raiders, etc...

McGloin not only showed tremendous promise, making all the NFL throws behind a very dodgy offense, playing very well for an undrafted player; moreover, lest we forget McGloin is Bill O'Brian's boy out of Penn State - would you give a 5th rounder for him, and take our chances in the 2nd round with Garoppolo, McCarron, Murray, etc?

I mean, what do you have to lose IF you prescribe to my methodology, anyway, to take two QBs in this draft?

I won't belabor the McGloin thought process, because frankly I'm a Bridgewater guy; still, a lot of people are talking QBs outside of the draft who are either over the hill or have almost no experience (see Mallet, Ryan -Less of a connection with O'Brian than McGloin).

Jets supposedly interested in Josh McGowen.

Since we're bringing up Josh McGowen...

We're talking about McCown right?

i

still, a lot of people are talking QBs outside of the draft who are either over the hill or have almost no experience (see Mallet, Ryan -Less of a connection with O'Brian than McGloin).

I don't have a problem with your McGloin idea. But I don't understand the "almost no experience" thing with Mallet. "If" O'Brien were our coach 3 years ago, we drafted Mallet in the third (because at the time Matt didn't need immediate replacement) he'd be "ready" to start now & everything would have been going according to plan.

As it is, we didn't draft him. But OB did. It's almost, kinda, sorta the same thing. "We" were coming unglued waiting for Case to get his first start & he had less on-field time than Mallet, & less time understudying the starting QB.

Mallet's got size, arm, pedigree... everything you want, save NFL experience. I hate the if we do get him, it would mean we'll most likely give up our second & sign him to a starting contract... but not playing the last three years doesn't bother me one bit.... dang sure no more than it bothered the Packer fans who gave the boot to a living legend.

Explain to me why you think Mallet is good? He has done SQUAT in 3 years.

I don't know that Mallet is "good" I'm comparing him to Case Keenum.

I'm not saying we should give a second for him & actually said if OB decides to get him, I hate that it will probably cost us our 2nd round pick & a starters contract.

Explain to me why you think I think Mallet is good. (<-- if that were a question, I'd have used a question mark).

I don't know that Mallet is "good" I'm comparing him to Case Keenum.

I'm not saying we should give a second for him & actually said if OB decides to get him, I hate that it will probably cost us our 2nd round pick & a starters contract.

Explain to me why you think I think Mallet is good. (<-- if that were a question, I'd have used a question mark).

surely if we did get mallet its because OB pushed for it or at least endorsed it.
therefore i wouldn't be opposed to it because he clearly knows more about mallet than i do.

That being the case from what i see i would rather go with someone else in FA or the draft.

Mallets contract is a real nuisance for me

witfk know's? free agency must play a role otherwise Texans could be making another colossal mistake :vincepalm:

If the Patriots don't want a third for him then I tell them to kick rocks. That's the best I'm offering. O'Brien's been away for 2 years so he's guessing for the most part on his progress. I also understand that you want to get a player for a while if you give up a pick, but why is it a necessity to extend him right away?

no one I hope we tank hardcore !!!

look at jags did going into last year there QB's were

Gabberrt and CHad henne

yup that's who they were rockin with week 1 so they prob knew in there mind whats up LOL

so I say lets just roll with Keenum and Matt

If the Patriots don't want a third for him then I tell them to kick rocks. That's the best I'm offering. O'Brien's been away for 2 years so he's guessing for the most part on his progress. I also understand that you want to get a player for a while if you give up a pick, but why is it a necessity to extend him right away?

Personally I'm willing to offer two thirds. This year's & next. I'll even make next years a conditional depending on how Mallet plays.

If you're asking me about extending him, I explained. It's a gamble. If OB feels good enough to bring him in for a 2nd, I assume he expects him to play well enough to earn a starter's contract.... 8 to 10 million a year (which is not top QB money). They should extend him that contract now, rather than Mallet have a Kaepernick type year & have to pay him a Tony Romo type contract after 1 good year.

I still can't believe Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were had as free agents. Ridiculous.

Brees? Really? I guess people forget about the Schaub-like career he had in San Diego along with the major shoulder surgery in the off season before NO signed him as a FA. He didn't beccome the Drew Brees that he is today until a few years into his Saints stint. At the time, he was a major risk. Luckily for NO, it paid off for them.

But it is a bit of revisionist history to imply that the Super Bowl winning big stats QB was what was on the market and the Texans were stupid to pass on him.

Not really guessing when the Texans new qb coach has been there.

Sent from the future...

Not really guessing when the Texans new qb coach has been there.

Sent from the future...

It's kinda funny, when you think about it, all the ties we've got to the players in this draft/off-season

QB coach: New England's TE coach: Mallet
S&C coach: South Carolina: Clowney
Dj Swagg: South Carolina: Clowney
O'Connel: New England: Manziel
O'Leary: UCF: Bortles

I'm sure there's more & I'm sure something like that is always true. Don't know why I picked up on it this time.

Everyone trading picks and even more so , multiple picks, for Mallet do realize he is a free agent after this season right?

Why?

To get the guy you want now?

You do realize that is the case almost every time a trade gets made right?

Makes no sense. Trade picks now on a team that has numerous holes for ab guy you can get next season basically for no picks?

Insanity

Wow! All of this talk about Ryan Mallet and trading high draft picks simply because OB might have had something to do with Mallet being drafted, and Mallet has been "learning" behind Tom Brady.

News Flash! Just because you hung out with Paul McCartney doesn't mean you wrote "Yesterday."

My philosophy was simpler and more effective, in my opinion (even if we are just talking out of are collective asses).

The Raiders are going to deal Terrelle Pryor or Matt McGloin and Dennis Allen wants a QB, sitting there with the #5 pick in the draft. I'd rather give up a 5th/6th round pick for Matt McGloin - who not only has shown to have been a steal - but also McGloin has had real one-on-one game time experience with Bill O'Brian at Penn State, not to mention more on-field experience than Ryan Mallet. McGloin is simply a safer bet, hypothetical or not, when it comes to familiarity with O'Brian and his system, which is NOT Patriots 2.0.

1.) Take Clowney 1.1, thus dropping other QBs to the Jags, Browns, Raiders. Fair!

2.) In the 2nd round we'll still have our pick of QBs in Garappolo, McCarron, Mettenberger, etc

Now we have 2 QBs to go along with Keenum, the best Defensive player in the draft, and we'll have our choice of OT/DT in the top of the 3rd.

Mallet = too risky, unbloodied, grasping at straws, crap contract, too high of a trade pick.

Makes no sense. Trade picks now on a team that has numerous holes for ab guy you can get next season basically for no picks?

Insanity

A - that loses his use this year and a year off his career. B - you can't guarantee you can get him on the open market next year whereas a trade means he's yours. C - the purpose of picks is ... to acquire players which is what a trade accomplishes.

Totally sane.

I guess the Niners were insane to trade for Anquan Boldin, the Patriots for Aqib Talib, the Chiefs for Alex Smith, etc.

A - that loses his use this year and a year off his career. B - you can't guarantee you can get him on the open market next year whereas a trade means he's yours. C - the purpose of picks is ... to acquire players which is what a trade accomplishes.

Totally sane.

I guess the Niners were insane to trade for Anquan Boldin, the Patriots for Aqib Talib, the Chiefs for Alex Smith, etc.

The Niners and Pats didn't have a ton of holes and were contenders. Smith had shown something the prior year.

You want to send picks for a player who has done jack and squat in 3 years

The Niners and Pats didn't have a ton of holes and were contenders. Smith had shown something the prior year.

You want to send picks for a player who has done jack and squat in 3 years

Every team has tons of holes and the Pats sure as heck did. They were filling a hole with Talib and they filled another hole with another trade to get Blount.

Sounds like you are attempting to run down trades because you don't like Mallett. Backup QBs rarely have an opportunity to show anything. It's not the same as being a backup RB like Tate.

Brett Favre was 0 for 4 with 2 INTs - turned out OK.
Steve Young went from slag to HoF sitting behind Montana.

And folks can hate this all they want but Schaub became a top third of the league QB pre-injury from being a backup.

Sounds like you are attempting to run down trades because you don't like Mallett. Backup QBs rarely have an opportunity to show anything.

Dude, but what the heck is there to like about Ryan Mallet that makes him worth a 2nd round pick in a trade? I'm willing to bet that more backup QBs have fallen on their faces than carried their team to greatness. I'm talking since the inception of the NFL here, too, and not just cherry picking a few here and there.

I haven't heard a single righteous answer except for a small OB connection and he's a part of the Hoody Tribe. To me the guy is Jimmy Clausen, except without the snaps.

Dude, but what the heck is there to like about Ryan Mallet that makes him worth a 2nd round pick in a trade? I'm willing to bet that more backup QBs have fallen on their faces than carried their team to greatness. I'm talking since the inception of the NFL here, too, and not just cherry picking a few here and there.

I haven't heard a single righteous answer except for a small OB connection and he's a part of the Hoody Tribe. To me the guy is Jimmy Clausen, except without the snaps.

The only reason to like the idea of a Mallet trade is that OB would have to sign off on it. If he does, then we're assuming he knows something that we don't....

If OB weren't here, this wouldn't have much traction at all... actually, there isn't a whole lot of traction as it is. A few... & it's very few people have signed off on a deal. I think maybe 1 is ok with trading 2-1, most aren't.

OK, putting aside the wisdom of trades generally and onto Mallett...

I think Mallett had 1st round talent but dropped in the draft due to (a) some immaturity issues such as a PI and recreational drug use and (b) the coaching change at Michigan. I don't view size as critical but he is as prototypical as you can get. He has demonstrated excellent study of the game and ability to explain the responsibilities, reads, route concepts, etc. better than most. He has a cannon for an arm. He was both prolific and careful with the football. He spread the ball rather than relying on a star receiver. He came from a pro style offense in the SEC. I put no significance to OB's familiarity other than him having more basis for an opinion. I am also not just trying to find someone from New England as I don't want Cassell. I do think being behind Brady, in a winning program and recipient of above average coaching will have benefitted him. I do think Belichick finding him to be the best QB in the 2011 draft and liking him enough to use the highest pick he has ever used on a QB in either Cleveland or New England weighs in his favor.

So that's my reasoning on Mallett without running down QBs who may be available at 2.1. Not trying to persuade you but you asked why I liked him.

Last edited:

you can take the word "backup" out of the bolded and it would STILL be true. Numerically speaking, there's a very small subset of QBs, starter or backup, "since the inception of the NFL", that have ever "carried their team to greatness".

Bottom line: Every trade is a roll of the dice. Either you feel like rolling the dice or you don't.

Personally, I'd rather see O'Brien coach up who we have and use our picks to shore up other positions and make the team, as a whole, stronger.

But that's just me.

Personally, I'd rather see O'Brien coach up who we have and use our picks to shore up other positions and make the team, as a whole, stronger.

But that's just me.

You're not saying that you'd be fine if we didn't draft a QB in the first three rounds are you?

I honestly can't imagine that. I'm usually pretty even keeled..... but I think that would tip me over. We need to draft a guy, or bring in a ringer, like Mallet, or McGoin... or someone who might have a future in the NFL (I'm okay with Cassel, but we'd have to draft someone as well)

Keenum & Yates can not be our only shot at a future starting QB for this team.

You're not saying that you'd be fine if we didn't draft a QB in the first three rounds are you?

I honestly can't imagine that. I'm usually pretty even keeled..... but I think that would tip me over. We need to draft a guy, or bring in a ringer, like Mallet, or McGoin... or someone who might have a future in the NFL (I'm okay with Cassel, but we'd have to draft someone as well)

Keenum & Yates can not be our only shot at a future starting QB for this team.

well maybe I wouldn't wait until round 4 but the idea of having Clowney and then Van Noy and then the best OT on the board is more appealing than Bortles or Manziel

And QBs graduate every year so Keenum and T.J. aren't "our only shot at a future starting QB..." That's a bit of an overstatement.

But I'm a build up the trenches and the defense guy over having a rookie QB.

well maybe I wouldn't wait until round 4 but the idea of having Clowney and then Van Noy and then the best OT on the board is more appealing than Bortles or Manziel

And QBs graduate every year so Keenum and T.J. aren't "our only shot at a future starting QB..." That's a bit of an overstatement.

But I'm a build up the trenches and the defense guy over having a rookie QB.

I wouldn't give up more than 3-1 for Mallett. But if I had to give up 2-1 ffor Mallett I would want a 4th back in addition to Mallett. then use a 4/5th to trade back into the 3rd. You would end up with 1-1, 3-1, 3rd traded for, 4-1

1.Clowney
2. Mallett
3. James
3. Daquan Jones
4. Zumwalt

Not bad in a deep draft.

Last few tweets of ryan mallett. interesting :kitten: :popcorn:

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 18
"We can stay there until we figure it out"

Retweeted by Ryan Mallett
Nathan Fitch &#8207;@UNCLENATEFITCH Feb 18
"If one is loyal to a good cause gone bad, the loyalty must be ceased."

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 20
Folks don't know the half

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 21
Patience. It's coming.

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 3h
FFFRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!

Brees? Really? I guess people forget about the Schaub-like career he had in San Diego along with the major shoulder surgery in the off season before NO signed him as a FA. He didn't beccome the Drew Brees that he is today until a few years into his Saints stint. At the time, he was a major risk. Luckily for NO, it paid off for them.

But it is a bit of revisionist history to imply that the Super Bowl winning big stats QB was what was on the market and the Texans were stupid to pass on him.

You misunderstood me. I'm not upset with the Texans for passing on the guys, I'm just thinking about how crazy it is that MVP caliber QBs where at one point available for purchase. Just funny how things turn out. .

Last few tweets of ryan mallett. interesting :kitten: :popcorn:

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 18
"We can stay there until we figure it out"

Retweeted by Ryan Mallett
Nathan Fitch &#8207;@UNCLENATEFITCH Feb 18
"If one is loyal to a good cause gone bad, the loyalty must be ceased."

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 20
Folks don't know the half

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 21
Patience. It's coming.

Ryan Mallett &#8207;@Ryan_mallett_15 3h
FFFRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!

Jeff Long &#8207;@jefflongUA · 4h
“@Ryan_mallett_15: FFFRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!” Just watched that this past weekend! One of the best scenes! Hope u R well

I think he is just watching braveheart.:mariopalm:

Alright here it goes...

Matt Cassel starting QB for the 2014 Houston Texans...

Texans decide that the QB's in this draft are not worth the 1st overall so they take the Seahawk approach and decide to build a smothering defense...

They trade back with Cleveland and get Clowney @ #4

They take....wait for it...Aaron Murray in the 3rd-4th round to sit behind Cassel and learn the system. Murray will be the starting QB for the Houston Texans come 2015.

Let the flaming commence:chili::firehair:....

If O’Brien and Smith believe Mallett can be their franchise QB, then trading for him makes the most sense. True O’Brien hasn’t been around Mallett the past couple years, however coach Godsey has. They should have a good feel there. I would not think the Texans would want to give the 2.33 for Mallett, that’s too much. Under the new draft structure the 2.33 has become very valuable. If they can’t get him for a three, they can look at trading back and getting a two as part of the package compensation, and use it on a Mallett trade.
By trading down you’ll likely miss out on Clowney, but not sure Texans want to invest a top five pick, some $15-$20 million guaranteed on a player with questionable work habits. How hard is he going to be willing to work once he gets all that coin? Sure you’ll have Watt and Cushing to push him, but will he respond? WTS… I’m sure the Texans brass has a pretty good feel for Clowney after they interviewed him at the Combine.
If looking for defense, better option may be trading down say with Minnesota at the 1.8 and draft a guy like Khalil Mack. Something like this would land them Mallett (2nd round pick from trading down) and Mack for the 1.1 and… likely another pick or two. While you’re not getting the freakish athleticism of a Clowney, you may be getting a better all-around football player and locker room presence. If you don’t like Mack there or if he isn’t available Justin Gilbert will be on the board. Like what I’ve seen and heard from O’Brien, he has a good track record at the QB position in terms of development. Whatever they do, they need to get it right.

If O’Brien and Smith believe Mallett can be their franchise QB, then trading for him makes the most sense. True O’Brien hasn’t been around Mallett the past couple years, however coach Godsey has. They should have a good feel there. I would not think the Texans would want to give the 2.33 for Mallett, that’s too much. Under the new draft structure the 2.33 has become very valuable. If they can’t get him for a three, they can look at trading back and getting a two as part of the package compensation, and use it on a Mallett trade.
By trading down you’ll likely miss out on Clowney, but not sure Texans want to invest a top five pick, some $15-$20 million guaranteed on a player with questionable work habits. How hard is he going to be willing to work once he gets all that coin? Sure you’ll have Watt and Cushing to push him, but will he respond? WTS… I’m sure the Texans brass has a pretty good feel for Clowney after they interviewed him at the Combine.
If looking for defense, better option may be trading down say with Minnesota at the 1.8 and draft a guy like Khalil Mack. Something like this would land them Mallett (2nd round pick from trading down) and Mack for the 1.1 and… likely another pick or two. While you’re not getting the freakish athleticism of a Clowney, you may be getting a better all-around football player and locker room presence. If you don’t like Mack there or if he isn’t available Justin Gilbert will be on the board. Like what I’ve seen and heard from O’Brien, he has a good track record at the QB position in terms of development. Whatever they do, they need to get it right.

Would you be willing to draft Clowney 1-1, draft an OT like Morgan Moses 2-1, then trade a 3-4 to get a 2nd rd pick and use the 2nd rd (Pick 20) pick to get Mallett?

Would you be willing to draft Clowney 1-1, draft an OT like Morgan Moses 2-1, then trade a 3-4 to get a 2nd rd pick and use the 2nd rd (Pick 20) pick to get Mallett?

If the 3 and the 4 is worth a 2 then why not trade those directly to new england?

Back