Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Slowik interviewing

It's pure conjecture how much power/say the new coach is being offered for those roster decisions.

Given that they've yet to fill the head coaching role I think it would be easier to guess that they aren't being offered that much power towards roster decisions.
The Washington owner and GM were in the air going to Detroit when Johnson begged off. Just seems odd to me, and he's backed out 2 years straight. Johnson is initially taking the interviews. I think NFL people are going to question just how much he wants to be a head coach.

The Washington owner and GM were in the air going to Detroit when Johnson begged off. Just seems odd to me, and he's backed out 2 years straight. Johnson is initially taking the interviews. I think NFL people are going to question just how much he wants to be a head coach.
I have that same feeling, not seeing what Johnson is waiting for. He had all the opportunity in the world this offseason to step into a head coaching role and chose not to for a second straight year. Something definitely up.

Perhaps he's waiting for his dream job?

Man im extremely excited that we got both our guys back. Gives Stroud another year in the system and builds chemistry. Hoping that we find a way to solidify this run game next year. It doesnt even have to be a top 10 Rushing attack just something that teams have to respect. If they find a way to do that Stroud will be even more Deadly this upcoming season.

In this offense reps are essential. It takes time to make plays from the same formation looks similar. Very good that they will maintain continuity.

Like Slowik said game 1 this season, he put too much of the offense out there causing miscues. Hopefully they can onboard more to the players this offseason and unlock new wrinkles to the system.

I have that same feeling, not seeing what Johnson is waiting for. He had all the opportunity in the world this offseason to step into a head coaching role and chose not to for a second straight year. Something definitely up.

Reminds me when Josh Mcdaniels backed out on the Colts job. Took awhile for him to get back on the interview circuit. Then he went and got fired 1.5 years in anyway when he thought he found the best situation.

Sometimes you gotta “make your own luck”.

Johnson already turned down his home-town club, he's from Carolina. Now I wouldn't want to work for Tepper, nor would I want to coach what the Panther's roster is now; but before the trade last year it was a qausi-attractive opening.

I still think he doesnt want to leave Detroit unless it's for the perfect situation or a boat load of cash

I think assistant coaches in general are wising up to the fact that they may only get one shot and they want to make sure they go to the best possible place if they have the luxury of having options.
But you have to interview if you want your team to give you a raise... Look at Slowik and Johnson, they both just got raises from the Texans after 1 good year. Take what you can get, and enjoy the golden parachute if you get fired! This is the way.

Reactions: JB
YAY! Slowick is staying with the Texans. Next year will again be awesome!
  • MMQB’s Albert Breer reports Texans OC Bobby Slowik has agreed to a new deal with a “significant raise” to stay with the team.
    While he was a hot name for head coaching positions, Slowik has decided to stay as the Texans’ offensive coordinator. The 36-year-old helped develop C.J. Stroud throughout his impressive rookie season, building a strong Texans offense that led to a playoff berth. Slowik is set to receive a raise with his new deal as he enters his second year with the Texans. Stroud, Nico Collins, and Tank Dell all stand to benefit from Slowik staying in Houston.
    22h ago
    Source: Albert Breer

Last edited:
Yes it's a bare bones roster. And the new guy can help fill that up with a bunch of draft picks and the most cap space in the league. Out with the old, in with the new. The new you help select.

Johnson got cold feet. He has his reasons. But I don't think not wanting leave Detroit is not high on the list.
Their skill position players are pretty good.

I could see Peters picking a LT and a C with their two 2nd rd picks and adding a LG in FA.

Then spending the rest of there draft capital/FA money on an edge/LB/ S. This really will come down to how good is either Maye or Daniels. Rumored Dan Quinn is going to get the Redskins job.

Reminds me when Josh Mcdaniels backed out on the Colts job. Took awhile for him to get back on the interview circuit. Then he went and got fired 1.5 years in anyway when he thought he found the best situation.

Sometimes you gotta “make your own luck”.
That was so much worse though.

McDaniels accepted the job, hired staff, and then backed out.

Leaving the Colts with their hands completely tied as far as coaches went and then having to bring someone else in but they couldn't pick their staff.

That's a lot different than just declining a second interview and pulling your name from the hat. Those things are worlds apart. I bet if the Lions are good again Johnson will be a top name next year too.

That was so much worse though.

McDaniels accepted the job, hired staff, and then backed out.

Leaving the Colts with their hands completely tied as far as coaches went and then having to bring someone else in but they couldn't pick their staff.

That's a lot different than just declining a second interview and pulling your name from the hat. Those things are worlds apart. I bet if the Lions are good again Johnson will be a top name next year too.

I'm betting the Lions will be good again next yr.

That OL is the best in the NFL and now they've got playmakers all around them on offense.

I'm betting the Lions will be good again next yr.

That OL is the best in the NFL and now they've got playmakers all around them on offense.

The Lions have reached the point where they can enter the 2024 NFL Draft focusing on BPA and/or any deal they're willing to make to obtain a player of focus. This team will be very good this upcoming season. The Lions also have a healthy 61M in cap space to make a statement signing.

Back