Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Slaton's Fumbling

Slaton is not only fumbling, but he's no longer doing the one-cut style
that made him so effective last year. Everytime the offensive line
slides to the outside, Slaton ALWAYS tries to bounce the ball outside.
He's not seeing that cutback lane which Moats exploited all game long!
It's a short window to get in there, but you've got to GET IN THERE.

If Steve were to do so, he'd get his 5 yards a carry, plus the one on one
with a linebacker or DB. If he would get back to doing the one-cut, which
Moats and Brown (although not as effective) are, he'd be the feature back
we know he could be!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DexmanC again."

Tried to give you rep, but couldn't.

Well said. There's a sense, with Slaton, that he thinks he can slow down and find the hole to go through as it opens up. Moats is gashing through the first sliver of an opening he can find.

Slaton seems to have lots of plays where he gets nothing, maybe even loses yards. Then he kinda' tip-toes around and finds that cut-back lane he had been looking for on the previous 5 or 6 carries.

Moats doesn't seem to break big plays, but he somehow grinds out 2 or 3 yards every time. Then he breaks off a 10-yarder.

It's easy, as a head coach, to look at the two guys--even without the fumbling problem--and decide you want more of one than the other. The fumbling issue just seals that idea in the mind of the head coach, IMO.

Slaton is not only fumbling, but he's no longer doing the one-cut style
that made him so effective last year. Everytime the offensive line
slides to the outside, Slaton ALWAYS tries to bounce the ball outside.
He's not seeing that cutback lane which Moats exploited all game long!
It's a short window to get in there, but you've got to GET IN THERE.

If Steve were to do so, he'd get his 5 yards a carry, plus the one on one
with a linebacker or DB. If he would get back to doing the one-cut, which
Moats and Brown (although not as effective) are, he'd be the feature back
we know he could be!

To add to what you are saying.... I have also noticed Slaton is running with his head down...like he is looking at the ground as he takes the hand-off....I wonder if this might be part of his problem with not seeing the cut back lanes

To add to what you are saying.... I have also noticed Slaton is running with his head down...like he is looking at the ground as he takes the hand-off....I wonder if this might be part of his problem with not seeing the cut back lanes

OF COURSE his head is down. Mean Gary Kubiak has been chewing him out and throwing him under the bus. How is an NFL athlete supposed to run with his head held high when his coach chewed him out for fumbling?

I think we should all send Slaton a virtual hug. The positive vibes will help him through this.

Last edited:
Slaton will bounce back he is a playmaker supreme and has just been going through a rough patch, all good running backs have them it all depends on how they deal with it. I believe in Steve Slaton he is our best running back hands down and no one said this last season when he lead the AFC in total yards from scrimmage.
That's all I've been saying. From everything I've seen in the HT.com and Chron.com quotes, that's what Kubiak has been saying too.

I don't know why having two productive RBs is a bad thing like some folks seem to believe.

I guess some people give a name to their asses, called last year, or in some cases, 2008.

And some people have their heads still there. Pull them out, and breathe some fresh "what have you done for me lately" air. Might just untwist some of that convoluted logic.

:)

Back