Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
But he can say he believes Watson is committed to the Texans?
I wouldn’t personally but it is more in line with the company line. That can be spun as Culley giving his personal opinion. It can also be used to try and make Watson or his agent have to counter it. If they say nothing then it confirmation through silence but if they come out and say that’s not true then it could be used in the conduct detrimental to the team argument.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Culley (and Caserio, who should have coached his answers) should have taken a page from Belichick. Have a prepared statement about Watson - IN ALL MEDIA RELATIONS - and then just say "I'm not talking any further about Deshaun Watson" to every single question about the QB.

He seemed unprepared and his dual answers in two different media interviews would seem to undermine their official position. Maybe it's Machiavellian and they coached him to say the "right now" statement in a non-official press conference, but that would be giving the franchise too much credit, IMO.

Reactions: JB

Texian

Hall of Fame
Is it semantics and click bait? Idk. "Right now" is such a scrutinized phrase at the moment.

Here's a question: Mandatory otas start 4/5. Can Watson be fined for not being present. That's the line in the sand for me.
I think Trotter is probably more informed about what is happening with DW4 than anyone else. IMO Trotter has some inside info he can't talk about. Listen from 10:00 minutes to the end.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Trotter is probably more informed about what is happening with DW4 than anyone else. IMO Trotter has some inside info he can't talk about. Listen from 10:00 minutes to the end.
Listening to the whole thing I believe he doesn't know half of what he wants you to believe he knows.

Early he says he's basing his beliefs on what Jalen Ramsey says & what he knows about DeShaun. Tells me his closest contact to DeShaun is Jalen Ramsey & that's not very close.

Another thing he talks about what he believes the Texans are going to do as if, but we know he has no Texans contacts.

I don't know how to say it, but the way he talks about the Texans side of things makes me doubt what he says about the Watson side.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Listening to the whole thing I believe he doesn't know half of what he wants you to believe he knows.

Early he says he's basing his beliefs on what Jalen Ramsey says & what he knows about DeShaun. Tells me his closest contact to DeShaun is Jalen Ramsey & that's not very close.

Another thing he talks about what he believes the Texans are going to do as if, but we know he has no Texans contacts.

I don't know how to say it, but the way he talks about the Texans side of things makes me doubt what he says about the Watson side.
Soo ummm,

Click bait.

Texian

Hall of Fame
How do we know this? IMO I believe these national reporters know a lot of Off The Record info they cannot discuss publicly. Some folks think they know what sports journalism is all about. Unless they're are actually in the business they really don't have a clue.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Watson said he wanted traded. I don’t recall if his agent or he said he would sit.

Meaning Culley is just the lamb to slaughter for the media. He was told to tow the company line. He did that exactly as he has in every article about it.

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
JETS 1.2, 1.23, 2.34 in 2021; , 1st RD pick in 2022; 1st RD pick in 2023 FOR DW4

Jets 1.2, 1.23, in 2021; 1st RD pick in 2022 & 3rd RD pick. It won’t get any better than that. I’d love to see DW in Green&White but there is a limit. Maybe Jets can also take a bad contract off your hands?

You can always trade DW to Miami to get 1.3, 1.18 and 2.3 back from the Tunsil/trade. That would be embarrassing. A #1 next year in the late 20’s and a ‘23 1st in late 20’s. Then watch DW take Miami on a PO run in beautiful Miami

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The Miami Dolphins today announced they have acquired a 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 first-round pick, a 2021 second-round pick, cornerback Johnson Bademosi and tackle Julien Davenport from the Houston Texans in exchange for tackle Laremy Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick.

You can also waste a rebuild year and tank for a QBnext year & hope there are quality QB’s available in ‘22

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
JETS 1.2, 1.23, 2.34 in 2021; , 1st RD pick in 2022; 1st RD pick in 2023 FOR DW4

Jets 1.2, 1.23, in 2021; 1st RD pick in 2022 & 3rd RD pick. It won’t get any better than that. I’d love to see DW in Green&White but there is a limit. Maybe Jets can also take a bad contract off your hands?

You can always trade DW to Miami to get 1.3, 1.18 and 2.3 back from the Tunsil/trade. That would be embarrassing. A #1 next year in the late 20’s and a ‘23 1st in late 20’s. Then watch DW take Miami on a PO run in beautiful Miami

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The Miami Dolphins today announced they have acquired a 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 first-round pick, a 2021 second-round pick, cornerback Johnson Bademosi and tackle Julien Davenport from the Houston Texans in exchange for tackle Laremy Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick.

You can also waste a rebuild year and tank for a QBnext year & hope there are quality QB’s available.
If it does not get a whole lot better you need to figure out who you're going to draft. And then what you going to do for the next 2 or 3 years having a top 5 pick each draft.

Dolphins in the meantime will be selling tickets knowing they have a good chance to win their division and go deep into the playoffs.

You do not get that we were terrible with Watson in 2020 and are willing to be terrible with or without him in 2021.

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
If it does not get a whole lot better you need to figure out who you're going to draft. And then what you going to do for the next 2 or 3 years having a top 5 pick each draft.

Dolphins in the meantime will be selling tickets knowing they have a good chance to win their division and go deep into the playoffs.

You do not get that we were terrible with Watson in 2020 and are willing to be terrible with or without him in 2021.
Not sure what you are saying here. You’d rather punish DW, go 0-16 and take your chances next year?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not sure what you are saying here. You’d rather punish DW, go 0-16 and take your chances next year?
I don’t think that’s a good plan. However, if DW4 is not traded I’m going to blame the NTC. There’s a reason players want an NTC & that’s so they don’t get traded.

Saying, “I demand a trade & will not waive my NTC.” Is the same thing as saying, “I don’t really want to be traded, but I’m going to make a stink & blame you when everything goes wrong.”

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why do you think I'm interested in punishing DW? If he is the quarterback everybody says he is, he is worth more than what you're saying simple as that. No one's focus is on record this season. We want the best return we can get and it's too early to accept what you're offering and if that's all is being offered I say don't take it.

In any trade I have suggested I have focused on what we get this draft and let 2022 be the focus later

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
Why do you think I'm interested in punishing DW? If he is the quarterback everybody says he is, he is worth more than what you're saying simple as that. No one's focus is on record this season. We want the best return we can get and it's too early to accept what you're offering and if that's all is being offered I say don't take it.

In any trade I have suggested I have focused on what we get this draft and let 2022 be the focus later
I think the longer you wait, the less value Watson has. FA begins soon and teams will be blowing their load to improve the team they have in support of their QB. With reduced Cap space bringing in another $10m on Watson the night of the draft is not practical. Trading him next year impractical. 3-4 more teams will have their QB’s of the future drafted.... 5 this year. What draft capital will you be getting next year? NOs or WFT or SF? They won’t be picking 2 or 3

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
maybe there thinking watson will have the same amount of trade value next year ..??? there will always be a team or 2 with alot of picks every year ..maybe like in 2022

Pittsburg
seahawks
saints
tampa
greenbay

will all need QBs

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think the longer you wait, the less value Watson has. FA begins soon and teams will be blowing their load to improve the team they have in support of their QB. With reduced Cap space bringing in another $10m on Watson the night of the draft is not practical. Trading him next year impractical. 3-4 more teams will have their QB’s of the future drafted.... 5 this year. What draft capital will you be getting next year? NOs or WFT or SF? They won’t be picking 2 or 3
Teams like NYC and Miami and even LAC making any moves to build around their current QB or on drafted QBs 1st, 2nd or 3rd can utilize same moves to build around Watson. All have CAP and Deshaun counts only $17 m this season to purchasing team.

Jets and Dolphins have no reason to think his value lessens between now and Jags selection. I would not be stunned if either the Chargers or Jags make a significant offer for Watson.

I'm not looking at any offers (now) from teams other than first three in draft and LAC.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Teams like NYC and Miami and even LAC making any moves to build around their current QB or on drafted QBs 1st, 2nd or 3rd can utilize same moves to build around Watson. All have CAP and Deshaun counts only $17 m this season to purchasing team.

Jets and Dolphins have no reason to think his value lessens between now and Jags selection. I would not be stunned if either the Chargers or Jags make a significant offer for Watson.

I'm not looking at any offers (now) from teams other than first three in draft and LAC.
maybe the texans wait for next year and see who the top 4 teams are in the draft next year ..???? since watson value will pretty much stay the same in march 2022

badboy

Hall of Fame
Teams like NYC and Miami and even LAC making any moves to build around their current QB or on drafted QBs 1st, 2nd or 3rd can utilize same moves to build for Watson whose cost this season is $17 m and these teams have the cap. I'm listening to offers only from those teams for now and no reason for those teams to think Watson's value drops between now and the selection Jaguars make.

badboy

Hall of Fame
maybe the texans wait for next year and see who the top 4 teams are in the draft next year ..???? since watson value will pretty much stay the same in march 2022
IIRC only Jets have two round one in 2022. Our pick should be top four in 2022.

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
maybe there thinking watson will have the same amount of trade value next year ..??? there will always be a team or 2 with alot of picks every year ..maybe like in 2022

Pittsburg: Picking late teens to late 20’s
seahawks: See below
saints: Cap hell. If Brees retires low teens
tampa: SB favorites
greenbay: SB favorites
Seahawks gave their #1 this year & next to Jets for a box safety!😂

Like a Sam Darnold, or Tua Tagolova
Exactly! Fields, Wilson, Jones & Lance stronger than 22 class

I think unless he gets injured, his value will remain what it is.

there may be less teams able to afford him. There may be less teams “in the market” & the Texans may lose value

But Watson’s value won’t change
After a holdout and the his cap growing to $30m next year??
1 less year of control?
I would kindly disagree

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You make it sound as if this is the only year that there are teams that need a QB. Fact is every year there is a new group of teams that need a franchise QB which is why every year the main draftees talked about are QBs. The only thing that is unique about this year is that two teams have two 1st round picks but if they won’t deal or are low balling then that doesn’t matter.

I have no clue at all where you get this idea of Watson’s value going down since he is just now in the prime of his life playing the one football position that has the most longevity. The only way his value would go down is if he got hurt playing and if he’s playing then hey problem solved anyway.

Fact is QBs like Watson just don't cone on the market ever. Not only is he a top tier, proven franchise QB but he is one that is, again, in his prime. The only time franchise QBs come on the market at all is in the downhill of their careers like Brady or Wilson and even then teams fall over themselves to try and sign them. You add to that Watson is locked in for 5 years and Texans will be covering a fair chunk of his contract and yeah he is about as priceless as you can get in sports.

To many people on here are thinking to small because they want the drama to be over and are worried we won’t get anything for him. But this isn’t Ebay here where you put something out and hopes a buyer bites, this is more like the one of a kind items that you wait for that perfect buyer that will meet your price. Caserio and the Texans will only get one shot at this and if they screw it up then it doesn’t matter what else they do they will still have failed.

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
You make it sound as if this is the only year that there are teams that need a QB. Fact is every year there is a new group of teams that need a franchise QB which is why every year the main draftees talked about are QBs. The only thing that is unique about this year is that two teams have two 1st round picks but if they won’t deal or are low balling then that doesn’t matter.

I have no clue at all where you get this idea of Watson’s value going down since he is just now in the prime of his life playing the one football position that has the most longevity. The only way his value would go down is if he got hurt playing and if he’s playing then hey problem solved anyway.
OR HE SITS OUT 1st 10 GAMES AND DOES NOT PLAY WELL ON A CRAPPY TEAM UPON HIS RETURN!
Fact is QBs like Watson just don't cone on the market ever. Not only is he a top tier, proven franchise QB but he is one that is, again, in his prime.
TRUE.... BUT WILL HAVE 1 LESS YEAR OF TEAM CONTROL & NOW COSTS $29 MIL VS. 10M. THAT WILL COST YOU DRAFT CAPITAL AND A LOT OF MONEY FOR 6 GAMES
...Watson is locked in for 5 years and Texans will be covering a fair chunk of his contract and yeah he is about as priceless as you can get in sports.
AS LONG AS HE IS TRADED THIS SPRING. I THINK A POST JUNE 1 TRADE DESIGNATION SAVES YOU $10+m IN CAP SPACE.

Last edited by a moderator:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is really simple.

Get a deal you like or hold onto him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Pittsburg
seahawks
saints
tampa
greenbay

will all need QBs
Phiily/New England/Vikings etc...

There will still be a robust market.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Or Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, RG3, ect ect
Right.

I mentioned Tua & Darnold because they’re on current rosters & their teams are already thinking about moving on.

But yeah, Lots of QBs get drafted every year, that can’t play in this league. Unfortunately you don’t know that until you put them on the field.

Watson is past that. He can play. That question is answered

Texian

Hall of Fame
IMHO I value DW4 worth at (2) #1 picks (3000 points each) in the NFL Draft or the equivalent of 6000 points. I put the value of future 1st RD picks (2022, 2023) at 1000 points each. This is how I came up with the trade scenarios in my signature.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
IMHO I value DW4 worth at (2) #1 picks (3000 points each) in the NFL Draft or the equivalent of 6000 points. I put the value of future 1st RD picks (2022, 2023) at 1000 points each. This is how I came up with the trade scenarios in my signature.
You realize that chart got blown out of the water in the Herschel Walker trade? Watson is the biggest trade chip to potentially hit the trade market in a long, long time. To think the Texans and Caserio are going to walk away from the table with those scraps would continue making them the laughing stock of the NFL. Hail.....you're telling Texans fans that LT rental, Laremy Tunsil had more trade value than a prime "Franchise QB1" whose under team control for the next 5 seasons.

You might as well hide that point chart b/c Watson is going to cost one lucky team dearly and no point chart will be able to put the trade into perspective.

Texian

Hall of Fame
You realize that chart got blown out of the water in the Herschel Walker trade? Watson is the biggest trade chip to potentially hit the trade market in a long, long time. To think the Texans and Caserio are going to walk away from the table with those scraps would continue making them the laughing stock of the NFL. Hail.....you're telling Texans fans that LT rental, Laremy Tunsil had more trade value than a prime "Franchise QB1" whose under team control for the next 5 seasons.

You might as well hide that point chart b/c Watson is going to cost one lucky team dearly and no point chart will be able to put the trade into perspective.
By your comments I'm not sure you followed or understood my comments fully or read my signature. BTW the Jimmy Johnson NFL Trade Value Chart is still in use today by all 32 teams. BY your own admission you say DW4 has a value but you don't know what the value or cost will be? DW4 has a value/worth what is it? I understand you being critical of the argument but it would help if you could provide some evidence of why your criticism is right and my signature is wrong. Maybe you should go back and read my post again. I think you're confusing the #1 pick in the draft with a first RD draft pick.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

By your comments I'm not sure you followed or understood my comments fully or read my signature. BTW the Jimmy Johnson NFL Trade Value Chart is still in use today by all 32 teams. BY your own admission you say DW4 has a value but you don't know what the value or cost will be? DW4 has a value/worth what is it? I understand you being critical of the argument but it would help if you could provide some evidence of why your criticism is right and my signature is wrong.
Sorry Texian......I completely missed your signature. Man, we're on the same page pretty much. I think Jets would have to cough up Darnold as part of their package. The Dolphins would have to include Tua and/or Howard.

OptimisticTexan

Tua and Howard dead money put Miami OVER the cap.
I guess the Dolphins would have to re-structure some deals which may not be that difficult if the players are in the know that those re-structures set the table for signing Watson.....who, like Mahomes would re-structure his deal to help the team going forward.

Since I didn't look at the numbers.....how does Tua and Howard affect the Texans current cap situation?

OptimisticTexan

I'm thinking Miami

1-3, 2-34, 2-50 and a 2022 1st plus Howard and Tua.
I think the Texans still pull off receiving that #18 pick out this potential trade. If not, then a 2023 RD1 would have to be part of that package. Tua would strictly be a "if you act now" throw-in b/c trading for Watson makes that apparent. If the Dolphins trade for Watson, Howard could be cap casualty cut but could be a benefit as a trade chip since the Texans having a glaring need at CB. It doesn't help the Fins that Howard has made it known that he would like to leave.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I guess the Dolphins would have to re-structure some deals which may not be that difficult if the players are in the know that those re-structures set the table for signing Watson.....who, like Mahomes would re-structure his deal to help the team going forward.

Since I didn't look at the numbers.....how does Tua and Howard affect the Texans current cap situation?
Howard is $12MM and Tua is $2MM in 2021.

Texian

Hall of Fame
DW4 Value = (2) 1st picks (1.1) in the NFL draft, 3000 X 2 = 6000.

Jets
1.2 = 2600 + 1.23 = 760 + 2.34 = 560 + 3.66 = 260 + 2022 1st RD = 1000 + 2023 1st RD = 1000 - TOTAL = 6180

Miami
1.3 = 2200 + 1.18 = 900 + 2.36 = 540 + 2.50 = 400 + 2022 1st RD = 1000 + 2023 1st RD = 1000 - TOTAL = 6040

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I don’t think that’s a good plan. However, if DW4 is not traded I’m going to blame the NTC. There’s a reason players want an NTC & that’s so they don’t get traded.

Saying, “I demand a trade & will not waive my NTC.” Is the same thing as saying, “I don’t really want to be traded, but I’m going to make a stink & blame you when everything goes wrong.”
Reports are floating around that say he will waive it. The question is for what team or teams and has he told the Texans. I have not seen concrete proof he has straight up told our FO "I will waive the NTC to go to __________". Maybe behind the closed doors he has or maybe it's why he is still here. Afterall, he can't be traded until he informs the GM or Cal or probably Easterby.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
DW4 Value = 6000 = (2) 1st picks (1.1) in the NFL draft.

Jets
1.2 = 2600 + 1.23 = 760 + 2.34 = 560 + 3.66 = 260 + 2022 1st RD = 1000 + 2023 1st RD = 1000 - TOTAL = 6180

Miami
1.3 = 2200 + 1.18 = 900 + 2.36 = 540 + 2.50 = 400 + 2022 1st RD = 1000 + 2023 1st RD = 1000 - TOTAL = 6040
That's the 2 teams I think he will be willing to go to. The Jets however seem to be growing uninterested. Miami is not looking great as I think they will go all in with Tua if Watson doesn't say "Miami and I will waive the NTC".

badboy

Hall of Fame
DET has two picks in 2022 and 2023 thanks to the Stafford/Goff trade.
Yeah I overlooked that one thank you. But would we not be in the same scenario as now as Jaguars would not want to trade 1.1 Nor would Detroit who some have projected as having the first pick in 2022 with Houston having the second pick.

I am interested in getting majority of pics this draft. 1.2 + now is better than a maybe 1.1 plus in 2022.
An offer of 1.7 + Deandre Swift, Jeff Okudah now and Detroit's two round ones in 2022 and 2023, I'd consider.

No QB until 22 but I will think on it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah I overlooked that one thank you. But would we not be in the same scenario as now as Jaguars would not want to trade 1.1 Nor would Detroit who some have projected as having the first pick in 2022 with Houston having the second pick.

I am interested in getting majority of pics this draft. 1.2 + now is better than a maybe 1.1 plus in 2022.
An offer of 1.7 + Deandre Swift, Jeff Okudah now and Detroit's two round ones in 2022 and 2023, I'd consider.

No QB until 22 but I will think on it.
I'm wanting to trade down to 8. I think either there or Cincy. is the next trading spot. I think Cicny wants Sewell so there's a trade to be made.