Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
or he appears to be to other teams who could be willing to give.
or easily and most probable BOTH.

He's a franchise QB who is going to be highly coveted, plain and simple.

I just hope he's not available, because you'll never get equal return, not with this team.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
See this comes down to if you think he's a top 5 type QB.

I'm thinking top 10, what's the difference between a top 5 and a top 10 qb's trade value to a contender, say like the Bears/Redskins/49ers?
I already said top 5, but even if you believe he's just top 10 (closer to the 5 than 10), he's still more valuable than anything that has been possibly available in decades. If we do give him away, King's ransom.. Anything else and I will go Pittsburgh T.V. fan. :)

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Oooooh watson with Kyle Shanahan would be a good match up
That was my question, what would Lynch/Kyle give up to get DW$?

Three 1sts and two 2nds since the 49ers picks wont be high picks after this yr?

Would you do this deal?

Decim8

Veteran
That was my question, what would Lynch/Kyle give up to get DW$?

Three 1sts and two 2nds since the 49ers picks wont be high picks after this yr?

Would you do this deal?
Personally no, cause he's ours and I believe we can win it all or atleast go deep with watson and also there's no guarantee we'll find another franchise QB

But if watson forces a trade.....then well I guess we have no choice, ill take that trade

mussop

Hall of Fame
I don't want Darnold or Tua .... Don't think either of them are more than career backup types , lucky to be on an NFL roster.
I want early picks this year along with cap relief and future picks.

3x1st
3x2nd
2x3rd
Eat Mercilus contract

Non Negotiable.

I'll either use that early first this year to draft a QB (IF I believe one of them is good enough which I haven't researched yet) Or move back to around 12-14 and fix some of the other holes while acquiring picks in next years draft as compensation for moving back - which should allow me to move up if there's a QB I want then.

I might move on from Tunsil too , since he no longer fits the timeline of the team .... sure some team would give up a premium draft pick for him and clear our books of the contract.
If only OB could land another gig like he had here. We could get a fortune for him.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
IF OB went anywhere we wouldnt need to trade Watson to recieve a fortune in return.

You could probably get that teams first round pick for a paperclip and a corndog. Just tell them they are magical.

wildroot

Rookie
Bob McNair voiced his displeasure to the team that he wasn't happy Obama was elected president the day after Obama was elected. McNair followed that up with his, the inmates are running the asylum comments. This McNair culture continues to permeate the locker room and still lives with players today. Cal's attitude and insensitive behavior towards Deshaun reminds all of the McNair elitism that has surfaced it's ugly head again.
I've never understood the controversy about that inmates running the asylum statement, why so much offense taken.
I always understood it to be a knock on weak management, that management needed to step up and lead.
Just my 2 cents....

Texian

Hall of Fame
I've never understood the controversy about that inmates running the asylum statement, why so much offense taken.
I always understood it to be a knock on weak management, that management needed to step up and lead.
Just my 2 cents....
You're exactly right. When McNair made those comments I believe he was addressing Goodell and NFL HQ and their weak approach to Kaepernick and all the players kneeling. Of course Texans players felt betrayed by Bob McNair for making those comments.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Just my 2 cents....
The controversy was he didn’t say asylum he said prison. This was at a time when the NFL was being compared to a prison and slavery that kept players down. I don’t think McNair meant anything by it and I think it was being used by people with an agenda but it blew up and turned into a bad look.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The controversy was he didn’t say asylum he said prison. This was at a time when the NFL was being compared to a prison and slavery that kept players down. I don’t think McNair meant anything by it and I think it was being used by people with an agenda but it blew up and turned into a bad look.
It was just super tone deaf to the World around him. I would say it was insensitive to certain people. Duane Brown being one of them.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
There is no “if”. He can’t force a trade. He’s under contract, a big money one at that and penalties are pretty severe for hold outs. He’s not forcing anything with regards to a trade.
He cannot force a trade but he could become a massive locker room cancer. If I were Cal and Caserio, their first move is to sit Watson down and clear the air. If Watson is still pissed and refuses to accept the olive branch, then it's time to trade him since this would be a horrible way for a new FO and HC to start a rebuild and infuse a new philosophy.

Last edited:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
He cannot force a trade but he could become a massive locker room cancer. If I were Cal and Caserio, their first move is to sit Watson down and clear the air. If Watson is still pissed and refuses to accept the olive branch, then it's time to cut him since this would be a horrible way for a new FO and HC to start a rebuild and infuse a new philosophy.
Surely you actually mean trade and not cut, correct?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You mean the same air pretty much anyone that can drop 700 million on a football team gives off?
McNairs need to sell the team to Elon Musk - he's in Texas now - and let Elon rebrand the franchise with some kind of space theme to tie into the city's history, other sports teams, and his fantastically successful badass company, SpaceX.

maybe I missed it.... someone point me to a video where Watson himself asked to be traded

this reminds me of when the media made a big deal out of GB spending a value pick on a QB... Rodgers never said anything until repeatedly pestered as I recall...
Nope, you didn't miss it. ALL of this is pure speculation being fueled by media based on one cryptic tweet that may or may not have had anything to do with the new GM and how the Texans operate.

There's lots of "insider" information being "leaked", but absolutely nothing from Deshaun himself. I take it all with a grain of salt until he makes it official. Otherwise, it's just low-information media personalities trying to get clicks and get noticed.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Insightful.

This is the old line down the center of the paper, listing reasons on the left why Texans should NOT trade Deshaun Watson. On the right side of the line (my position) why Texans should trade Watson. Feel free to to fill out the left side if you absolutely believe the Texans should not.

WHY THEY SHOULD
1. The current structure of the team the Texans will find it extremely difficult to win with Watson for several years to come.
2. The salary cap, future contracts and lack of draft picks almost prohibit any long term success.
3. Texans are currently $20MM over the proposed 2021 salary cap starting in March.
4. Many have speculated cutting 5 to 6 starters to alleviate salary cap problems.
5. How do you become a better team minus 6 starters.
6. How do you replace starters when you have a lot less money to do so?
7. Watson, Tunsil, Cooks will be about 36% of the proposed 2022 salary cap.
8. That equates to approx 72% of Offense allotted cap by only 3 people.
9. How do you get good players to want to come to come and play for an NFL laughing stock?
10. How are the Texans better without JJ Watt?
11. The estimated 2022 salary cap is $209MM, the Texans currently have 26 players under contract at $180MM in 2022. That leaves $30MM to sign 25 additional players.
12. Watson can get out of his contract after 2023.
13. 9 of the 12 starting QBs in the playoffs are first rd draft picks.

That said I would only do a trade with the Jags or Jets. The Texans have to maximize their potential to replace a franchise QB. IMHO only Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson offer the Texans that opportunity and give the Texans a clean slate going forward with the cap space, draft picks and a potential franchise QB.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I think the draft pick thing should be removed from the “long term success” point. It’s a temporary problem affecting only this draft unless Caserio exacerbates the issue in the upcoming draft.
Missing a #3 and #36 could have a profound effect on long term success. That's almost 10% of the starting roster. When factor in you could add in 6 potential starters via a trade you have increased your starting lineup by 8. That's improving your starting lineup by almost 40% and reducing your salary cap by almost $100MM.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I think the draft pick thing should be removed from the “long term success” point. It’s a temporary problem affecting only this draft unless Caserio exacerbates the issue in the upcoming draft.

What's temporary? 1 year? 2? Idk. To me, next year is already a throw away season as things stand now.

I dont want to trade Watson but if he IS done with this franchise you have to get everything you can for him...

They'd have to get coaches willing to consider it and they'd have to be willing to go through a complete rebuild.

A reasonable trade as I suggested elsewhere would be two 2021 1st rd picks, one 3rd round pick, and a 2022 2nd round pick. If they trade back on one of those 1st round picks they suddenly have a boat load of draft capital and cap relief to go with it...

Biggest cons would be it took us 15+ years to find a marquee qb and now we trade him. League reputation - who'd want to sign here as a free agent?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Some teams toil for more than 50 years for the opportunity to snag a franchise quarterback. We're lucky enough to find one only 20 years into our existence and people want to trade him?

I vote no.
While I certainly see your point if it doesn’t lead to a championship what good does it do you?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I didn't say that . And both items have nothing to do with Easterby.

You have me mixed up with another poster.
Is anything going great SINCE he got here?
You quoted what has been going great.
Huh? Show me.
Also those have nothing to do with Easterby but all the problems are a result of Easterby? So nothing good stuff is despite Easterby but the bad stuff because of him. Yeah think I saw this episode already.

FireBOB

Waterboy
While I certainly see your point if it doesn’t lead to a championship what good does it do you?
Well granted, you can't win a championship with *only* a star QB. You need lots of other things too, including a level of coaching we haven't yet been privileged to see. We've got the most difficult piece to find and we've lasered out the BO'B cancer, we've got cap, draft, and quality issues to solve, but all of that can be solved with the right leadership.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would much prefer to keep #4 as he is a franchise qb.
However, IF he demands a trade,
I think 49ers will be on the phone as soon as they hear of it.
If Caserio goes for it, this is my asking price:-
#12 and #43 picks this draft and 2022 1st. Plus they ship us Jimmy G.