Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Mercilus.

I think you were correct that @Texian was adding Cunningham to clear the contract off the books .... But I'd make them take Mercilus instead , he's a worse contract and worse player.

You want Watson , I want 3x #1's , 3x #2's 2x #3's and you take Mercilus. Non Negotiable.
Due to depth in 2021 rounds one and two I want 1.3 & 1.18 and both their rounds twos (35 & 50) and the rest can be later. Their 2022 round one and two and both thirds will ease up some on them to accept a trade.

There is talk coming out of Florida that Miami would force CB Xavien Howard in any trade of Watson. X is great on INTs (ten on 20 psses defended in 2020) but PFF says he creates too many penalties specifically in man coverage. My initial thought is some penalties are worth 8-10 interceptions. Many times those penalties keep receiver from points and are smart moves by a DB. He turns 28 in July and is 6'1" 190- 200. https://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/31921/nfl-defensive-player-of-the-year-dolphins-xavien-howard-states-case-on-field

Issue? He signed extension in 2019 and his new agent has encouraged him to renegotiate or go to another team. If we got him, his cost to us is only $9.3 million and just under $21 for first two years here. He is under contract thru 2024 & I think we could keep him happy sweetening the deal.

Miami takes our Mercilus contract and we take Howards even if we had to lessen draft pick demands. Purchasing the contract of 2020 possible defensive player of the year would be huge coup and eliminate need to use high draft pick for a high priority position.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Deshaun Watson will be traded because it is Cal McNair and the Houston Texans.

He will be traded to the New York Jets where Eric Bienemy will be his head coach.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
How so? I’ve said from the beginning I think this is one “reporter” trying to gets hits and I’ll wait for Watson to speak himself before passing judgement. Meanwhile the possibility and the “what if” makes great conversation. Some of the best we’ve had all season.
the bolded

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Deshaun Watson will be traded because it is Cal McNair and the Houston Texans.

He will be traded to the New York Jets where Eric Bienemy will be his head coach.
Hopefully this is correct.

Do you use pick #2 on Fields or Wilson?

Or do you ask for Darnold and use pick #2 to trade around and add talent that's badly needed to the franchise?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Good Lawd, please don't trade Watson for Tua. He is horrible and one sack away from being in a wheelchair. If they are gonna trade him ship his disgruntled ass off to the Jets. I'd rather have Darnold than Tua.

Watson isn't going anywhere, I hope.
Facts including medical ones seem to indicate you are incorrect. He came back early from injuries and still went 6-3 as starter. From all I read, he just needs rest. Of course if he lands wrong, he could be out ==but same can be said for Deshaun.

Mariotexan

Practice Squad
I blame all this mess on Cal. I don’t believe you should have players making those decisions. However, if you included Watson, then follow through and include him...it’s all to late now, don’t blame Watson for being upset. Is all the trade talk especially with Miami, just speculation? They are set up with all those picks to make a difference on their team, if I was them I would not be trading them away for one player.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would absolutely HATE to trade Deshaun, and I wouldn't do it, but at this point Cal had jacked this relationship up so bad that trading him may just be the only option. And if you do trade him, then Miami would he the best option.
Now Miami would be getting a franchise QB and we'd be left in the doldrums again, so it'd have to be a kings ransom to get it done. The only scenario I'd trade Watson for would be for a deal like this:
Miami receives Watson
Houston receives 2021 1st rd pick #3 & #18.
2021 2nd round pick #36 & #50. 2022 1st and 2022 3rd.
We'd lose our franchise QB but we would be able to replenish at other positions and maybe get a QB in free agency. Maybe Rivers if he leaves the colts or see if we could bring Trubisky in if we hire a good offensive coach like Brady or Daboll.
Idk. I hope we just fire Easterby and Deshaun stays.
1.3 could bring you Zach Wilson or Justin Fields with 1.18 bringing you Terrace Marshall.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Hopefully this is correct.

Do you use pick #2 on Fields or Wilson?

Or do you ask for Darnold and use pick #2 to trade around and add talent that's badly needed to the franchise?
I haven't studied Fields or Wilson enough to make an educated decision. However I was impressed with Fields beating Clemson. I will be watching closely tonight. If Jags sign Meyer to be HC does Urban go with Fields?

I do not ask for Darnold, I ask for DE Quennin Williams, 3rd pick in 2019 draft. Along with (2) 1st rd picks in 2021, 1st RD pick in 2022. 2nd RD picks in 2021 and 2022. 3rd RD pick in 2021.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I blame all this mess on Cal. I don’t believe you should have players making those decisions. However, if you included Watson, then follow through and include him...it’s all to late now, don’t blame Watson for being upset. Is all the trade talk especially with Miami, just speculation? They are set up with all those picks to make a difference on their team, if I was them I would not be trading them away for one player.
yes. Watson will have more of a difference than those picks on that roster even more if Cooks is part of the equation as has been mentioned.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I haven't studied Fields or Wilson enough to make an educated decision. However I was impressed with Fields beating Clemson. I will be watching closely tonight. If Jags sign Meyer to be HC does Urban go with Fields?

I do not ask for Darnold, I ask for DE Quennin Williams, 3rd pick in 2019 draft. Along with (2) 1st rd picks in 2021, 1st RD pick in 2022. 2nd RD picks in 2021 and 2022. 3rd RD pick in 2021.
Jets wont do that deal.

JWTexans

Waterboy
If I go with trading the dolphins 1.3 and 1.18 then I'm trying to trade #3 to either Carolina or Denver, a team that needs a QB (I'm not sold on anyone outside of Lawrence in this QB class. I like Sam Howell from UNC better than any of these guys and I think he comes out next year). We could trade down to #7 or #8 and pick up a second this year and a 2 or 3 next year according to the draft pick calculator at Draftek.com.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I want new Texan ownership. The reign of terror and discrimination towards own employees is disturbing. History will prove Watson is on the right side and McNairs on wrong side, not just in sports or business but in equality and tolerance to those who truly matter, it’s customers/Texan family.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Dang I thought of that but blew it off. Need to ponder some more. :thinking:idonno:
We don't trade Watson unless it's an offer we can't refuse...a King's ransom! Otherwise he's under contract. The offer that Texian mentioned is a King's ransom even more so if Jags take Fields leaving Trevor Lawrence at 1.2.
well that's is the entire purpose of this and other threads..we know he is under contract but he can waive the no trade if he decides to go to Jets or Dolphins.

wildroot

Rookie
Dang I thought of that but blew it off. Need to ponder some more. :thinking:idonno:

well that's is the entire purpose of this and other threads..we know he is under contract but he can waive the no trade if he decides to go to Jets or Dolphins.
Don't we have to waive the no-trade clause as well?

austins23

Hall of Fame
If the team is gonna suck next year anyway, trade him to the Jets and get Darnold and the Jets #2 and trade it for more picks. Or offer them Watson and JJ for Darnold, Williams, the #2 pick and a couple more picks. Not Tua!!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Good Lawd, please don't trade Watson for Tua. He is horrible and one sack away from being in a wheelchair. If they are gonna trade him ship his disgruntled ass off to the Jets. I'd rather have Darnold than Tua.

Watson isn't going anywhere, I hope.
I am interested in your {and others} thoughts/evaluation of Tagovaila.
If the team is gonna suck next year anyway, trade him to the Jets and get Darnold and the Jets #2 and trade it for more picks. Or offer them Watson and JJ for Darnold, Williams, the #2 pick and a couple more picks. Not Tua!!
I don't want Darnold or Tua .... Don't think either of them are more than career backup types , lucky to be on an NFL roster.
I want early picks this year along with cap relief and future picks.

3x1st
3x2nd
2x3rd
Eat Mercilus contract

Non Negotiable.

I'll either use that early first this year to draft a QB (IF I believe one of them is good enough which I haven't researched yet) Or move back to around 12-14 and fix some of the other holes while acquiring picks in next years draft as compensation for moving back - which should allow me to move up if there's a QB I want then.

I might move on from Tunsil too , since he no longer fits the timeline of the team .... sure some team would give up a premium draft pick for him and clear our books of the contract.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't want Darnold or Tua .... Don't think either of them are more than career backup types , lucky to be on an NFL roster.

3x1st
3x2nd
2x3rd
Eat Mercilus contract

Non Negotiable.

I'll either use that early first this year to draft a QB (IF I believe one of them is good enough which I haven't researched yet) Or move back to around 12-14 and fix some of the other holes while acquiring picks in next years draft as compensation for moving back - which should allow me to move up if there's a QB I want then.

I might move on from Tunsil too , since he no longer fits the timeline of the team .... sure some team would give up a premium draft pick for him and clear our books of the contract.
If you can get Jamie Newman day two I would consider that. I think it was smart to transfer getting him attention and then sitting out 2020. His junior year season at Wake Forest showed good improvement and while not a scrambler; he did get 6 TDs by ground.

Dolphins 2019 draft not so good and 2020 still doesn't look bright to me. Perhaps Dolphins willing to trade picks for proven franchise QB?

wildroot

Rookie

3x1st
3x2nd
2x3rd
Eat Mercilus contract

Non Negotiable.

I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The more and more I read about Watson being disgruntled, the more and more I get the urge to see him traded. Anyone who has paid attention knows I love Watson the QB. I have defended him in numerous threads. I also think he is a bonafide top 5 QB in this league with massive potential to win it all with the right weapons.

That said, if he is truly hurt over his participation or lack thereof in the selection of a GM, then I cannot feel bad for him. If he think's the Houston franchise is insensitive where it pertains to social justice, I cannot agree with him.

If rumors are true and Miami is a likely trade partner, then I want to see it done.
Watson and Cunningham for 2021 1st (#3), 2021 2nd, 2022 1st and Tua'.

This teams needs draft choices and cap space. This trade alleviates those issues, and casts off a personnel issue.
What would you like to see happen?
You think Watson is worth that much compensation?
I like the idea but figured Watson for Tua, the #3 pick and maybe the second too.
If Watson is butthurt over the organizations perceived social justice issues then he needs to go.
We get Tua and #3 and best Miami 2nd round pick, I would be satisfied.
Tua has potential.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You think Watson is worth that much compensation?
I like the idea but figured Watson for Tua, the #3 pick and maybe the second too.
If Watson is butthurt over the organizations perceived social justice issues then he needs to go.
We get Tua and #3 and best Miami 2nd round pick, I would be satisfied.
Tua has potential.
The social justice issue angle really has me wondering .... and not at all getting political , just pointing out facts -

They've had a GM of color for years - the guy that drafted him.
They have a QB of color.
They have a DC of color in Weaver.
They had a DC of color prior and made him assistant HC then promoted him to interim HC.
There are 6 other assistants of color.

Watson may not find the grass greener in another uniform in that regard.

Maybe I'm missing something .... I just think the Texans have been ahead of the curve in regards to hiring people of color.

As for Caserio , while he wouldn't have been my top choice , his resume is significantly better than the candidate on that Korn Ferry list.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The social justice issue angle really has me wondering .... and not at all getting political , just pointing out facts -

They have a QB of color.
They had a DC of color prior and made him assistant HC then promoted him to interim HC.

Maybe I'm missing something .... I just think the Texans have been ahead of the curve in regards to hiring people of color.

As for Caserio , while he wouldn't have been my top choice , his resume is significantly better than the candidate on that Korn Ferry list.
This is one of the problems with this media frenzy. Here is Mortensen pushing the social justice angle and then recanting. But the recant is never as loud as the original story.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Looking at the top 10 teams in the 2021 NFL Draft and it's easy to see that Miami has the assets to make a trade for Watson unless the Dolphins feel like Fields or Wilson are better prospects than Tua. If the Texans knock on the door of the Dolphins, there's going to be a fine line between going all in on Watson and paying a king's ransom for Watson.

Personally, if there was to be a deal to be made with the Dolphins, I'd have no desire in seeing Tua involved in the deal. I'd want draft capital and let them do with Tua what they wish. I think the Texans could push for the following:

Dolphins Get:
QB- Wason
LB- Mercilus (100% Contract)

Texans Get:
2021 RD1-03-003 (Texans)
2021 RD1-18-018
2021 RD2-03-035 (Texans)
2022 RD1
2023 RD1

Toss in my plan to move both Watt and Cook for RD3 picks......and the Texans suddenly have an outstanding draft ahead of them. Cook to WFT (RD3-19-051) and Watt to CHI (RD3-20-084) plus Texans RD3-03-067.

I believe the Redskins could be another team with real interest should the Texans put Watson on the market. Would the Redskins have enough interest to part ways with Chase Young in a package? If there was even the slightest interest:

Redskins Get:
Watson

Texans Get:
Young
2021 RD2-19-051
2021 RD3-10-074 (Via SF)
2021 RD3-19-083
2022 RD1
2022 RD2

In this scenario....Texans get a big answer on the DL. They'll have a nice RD2 pick, but if the Texans still moved Watt and Cook (To NYJ)....they could have 5 picks in RD3. RD3-03-67, RD3-10-74 (WFT), RD3-19-083 (WFT), RD3-20-84 (CHI), RD3-23-087 (NYJ). Texans new GM could probably use 5 RD3 assets to move into RD2 and still have change left over for RD3. The Texans would have to sign a stop gap for 2021 or let McCarron have a go as the starter while the team completes the rebuild.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I want new Texan ownership. The reign of terror and discrimination towards own employees is disturbing. History will prove Watson is on the right side and McNairs on wrong side, not just in sports or business but in equality and tolerance to those who truly matter, it’s customers/Texan family.
What side is that

I see this as an HR problem where the employee needs to learn that there's a big difference between being a player and mgmt.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

3x1st
3x2nd
2x3rd
Eat Mercilus contract

Non Negotiable.

I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I still wouldn't want to do it ..... even for that load of picks.

The only way I would make that trade is if Watson forced the issue by sitting out / not showing up.

Good QB's are hard to find.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

3x1st
3x2nd
2x3rd
Eat Mercilus contract

Non Negotiable.

You probably wont get more than the equivalent of four 1sts for DW4 at the most..

2021 Two 1sts and a 2nd including the #3 pick.
2022 1st and a 2nd. Maybe you might have to throw in a 3rd or 4th to get a deal done.

Decim8

Veteran
My question is why would miami or jets even think of giving up that much in draft picks for watson? Jets are a bad team, worst than us and they need all the picks they can get. Miami on the other hand had a pretty good season and with their boat load of picks can really set themselves up for years to come.

If there was gonna be a request for watson im guessing it be from a contender like the steelers, saints or maybe bucs (if brees/tom retires). Teams with a ready built foundation and just a QB away from the next step

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Dolphins Get:

Deshaun Watson
Whitney Mercilus

Texans Get:

2021 1.3
2021 1.18
2021 2.36
2021 4.113
2022 1st
2022 2nd
2022 4th
CB Xavien Howard

I absolutely don't wanna trade Watson so it's gonna take a seemingly impossible haul.

Top 5 QB that's shown it and rising, just barely turning 26 at the start of next season, healthy, everyone on the planet's pumped him this far up.

I can't give a f*ck for a dollar less. He can retire if he wants, we're already the villain.

I also don't want Tua.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

2. Deshaun Watson. There are 9,000 things out there about the fate of Watson (apparently somewhere between angry and totally volcanic about the Texans hierarchy), include the tantalizing maybe-more-than-just-throwing-this-out-there startler from Chris Mortensen on Sunday: Watson just might be angry enough to force a trade. And wouldn’t it be interesting if that trade was Watson to Miami for Tua Tagovailoa and a passel of Dolphins picks? But before we go too far, I want to quote that famous American philosopher Aaron Rodgers: “R-E-L-A-X.”

At times like this, the best thing for a team and its new GM is not to jump to conclusions about anything. Nick Caserio inherited this mess, and, seeing that he’s been on the job for a grand total of four days, I’d like to give him two months—till the start of the 2021 league year—to fix it. As in Philadelphia with Carson Wentz, time to let things simmer down. And when no one’s looking and Caserio can confidently meet Watson in absolutely privacy with his new coach, then try to surgically repair the relationship. Till then, no sense for the Texans to try to pick at this fresh wound.
BTW, this what I think will actually happen. Watson and Caserio, etc will sit down talk through the issues...75 to 80 % in my mind.

Back to regularly scheduled I would do that trade even Watson was 100 texanpride:logo::texans:conversations.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

They have a QB of color.

Totally agree.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame

They have a QB of color.

Well thats all good, but now Easterby is getting his good old boy network going. And its a patriot way. I do agree with what you said, but that's the past. DW4 thinking long term for his future.

And I really think DW4 has a me or him attitude with Easterby. Cal made his choice

Texian

Hall of Fame
Darnold sucks, DE Quinnen Williams 3rd pick in 2019 draft serves a BIG need in Texans weak DL and D. Helluva a lot more value. I'm liking Jets 1.2 and Zach Wilson more than Miami's 1.3.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame

Revision:
Texans trade Deshaun Watson and Zach Cunningham to New York Jets.

New York Jets trade DE Quinnen Williams (#3 1.3 pick in 2019 draft), (2) 2021 First RD picks 1.2 and 1.23, (1) 2022 First RD pick; 2nd RD picks 2021 and 2022 to the Houston Texans.

With 2nd pick in the 2021 NFL Draft Texans select QB Zach Wilson.

I do like this trade option better than the Miami trade and Tua.

Last edited: