Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should Cj Stroud be in the MVP conversation?

To win MVP, Stroud has to lead this team into the post season and win at least 1 game.
I think the MVP vote is in before the playoffs. With all of the injuries if the Texans win 10-11 games Stroud deserves the MVP. He's faced great adversity in the face and still had success beyond anybody's wildest dreams. Tell me, who would've thought the team or Stroud would be where they're at today if I told you all of the injuries would happen to the OL? Their success has been directly related to Stroud's outstanding play as a rookie no less.

I thought I did see a few people start chanting MVP during that altercation. I don’t know… but I started chanting it myself… so YEAH… it’s for real. The kid is a bonafide contender.

Some are undervaluing the impact of an MVP “trophy”. Of course the ultimate goal is SB CHAMPS… but it sure does inspire me as a fan to be able to say we have an MVP contender on the team. What’s wrong with that? I haven’t lost sight of our SB goal… and neither has anyone on the team… and like I staunchly announced this afternoon earlier upthread… he WILL win MVP. It’s gonna happen. This year… there’s a special kind of magic in the air.

I think the MVP vote is in before the playoffs. With all of the injuries if the Texans win 10-11 games Stroud deserves the MVP. He's faced great adversity in the face and still had success beyond anybody's wildest dreams. Tell me, who would've thought the team or Stroud would be where they're at today if I told you all of the injuries would happen to the OL? Their success has been directly related to Stroud's outstanding play as a rookie no less.
I thought he would be decent but wasn't expecting elite play as a rookie!
His accuracy, vision, speed at getting the ball out and leadership are far beyond what anyone would expect from a kid in his first NFL season.
Exciting and a breath of fresh air.
One wonders just how good will he be with a few seasons under his belt!

No, you guys are right - I wasn't sure when the MVP votes would be finalized.
Well, I guess he has a few more games to showcase his skills and value.

I don't think he will be MVP. I also don't think the Texans will make the playoffs. Too many needs still. Too many injuries. Too little time to come together. But the fact that there are legitimate conversations about Stroud as the MVP, DR as Coach of the Year and the Texans as a playoff team are phenomenal wins for the Rookies (Head Coach, OC, QB).

Unless he goes on an unreal tear the rest of the way, I doubt a rookie will win MVP

I think being a rookie will help him to get at least some votes. He has the best story of any player that is being discussed, especially because he is a rookie that hat major questionmarks around him (S2...) coming in, that has completely turned around a franchise that was going nowhere.

And let's not forget, that there is no clear frontrunner right now. In the end the voters will either go for the best player on the best team or to a player that is statistically way more impressive - or to the player with the best story, if everything else is close.

Unless Stroud takes us to a minimum of the AFC championship game, he won't get MVP. He's a lock for OROY though.

We should all be thankful something this can even be discussed. This is all very un-Texan like for all the things happening this year.

Meh, if he still tops the passing yards list and has his team poised to make the post season when the vote is finalized, he definitely has a chance.

I just realized he is the only QB on pace to get to 5,000 passing yards this season. Technically, he could not have another 300-yard game this season and still make it.

The only other QB that is close is Tua and he would need to average 308 yards per game over the last 5 (currently averaging 288). Everyone else would need to average around 350 per game for the rest of the year.

It is kind of insane that we are having a conversation about the potential for the only 5,000 yard passer being a rookie.

I doubt Stroud will win MVP but IMO he should at least be in the running.

Rookie records smashed by Stroud already with 5 games left in the season.

1. Most passing attempts without an interception to start a career: 192
2. Most passing yards in a game by a rookie: 470
3. Most passing touchdowns in a game by a rookie: 5 (tied)
4. Most passing yards in a five-game span: 1,740

Stroud's current standings against all QBs not just rookies.

Leads the league with 3,540 total yards & 295 yard per game.
Leads the league with most 20+ yard completions: 59
Leads the league with most 40+ yard completions: 8
Tied at 8th with 20 Tds
6th in Passer Rating: 101.2
3rd in avg yards per pass: 8.5

NFL rookie QB records Stroud still has yet to get. He already has a bunch right now. LOL

NFL Rookie Passing Yards Leader
Stroud has 3540 passing yards and five games to go.
4,374 — 2012, Andrew Luck
4,336 — 2020, Justin Herbert
4,051 — 2011, Cam Newton

NFL Rookie Passing Touchdowns Leader
Stroud has 20 TDs, he'll need 12 over the last 5 games to get this one.
31 — 2020, Justin Herbert
27 — 2018, Baker Mayfield
26 — 2012, Russell Wilson; 1998, Peyton Manning

NFL Rookie Pass Completion Leader
Stroud has 265 completions so far, he'll need a bunch more for this record.
396 — 2020, Justin Herbert
379 — 2016, Carson Wentz
354 — 2010, Sam Bradford

I just realized he is the only QB on pace to get to 5,000 passing yards this season. Technically, he could not have another 300-yard game this season and still make it.

The only other QB that is close is Tua and he would need to average 308 yards per game over the last 5 (currently averaging 288). Everyone else would need to average around 350 per game for the rest of the year.

It is kind of insane that we are having a conversation about the potential for the only 5,000 yard passer being a rookie.
I think he tops 5,000 yds. The schedule is relatively easy.

As long as Stroud stays upright, he should get the passing yards and TDs rookie records this year. The total passing yards though he'll have to complete another 6 completions per game (average) than he is doing so far.

Are you possibly thinking of a 16-game season?

5,000 yards in 17 games is averaging 294 yards a game. Stroud is currently averaging 295 yards per game. His current pace (295 x 17) is 5,015 yards. He only needs to average 292 yards per game for these last 5 games to get exactly 5,000 yards.

Texans (7-5) remaining opponents (26-34 .433)
Jets 4-8
Titans 4-8
Browns 7-5
Titans 4-8
Colts 7-5

Jaguars (8-4) remaining opponents (26-34 .433)
Browns 7-5
Ravens 9-3
Buccaneers 5-7
Panthers 1-11
Titans 4-8

Colts (7-5) remaining opponents (31-29 .517)
Bengals 6-6
Steelers 7-5
Falcons 6-6
Raiders 5-7
Texans 7-5

Unless Stroud takes us to a minimum of the AFC championship game, he won't get MVP. He's a lock for OROY though.

We should all be thankful something this can even be discussed. This is all very un-Texan like for all the things happening this year.
MVP votes don't take into account the playoffs. I think Stroud just needs to lead the Texans to winning the division along with eclipsing 5,000 yards and rookie TD record, he's top 3 in MVP votes at least. His biggest competition IMO is Dak

Rookie's so often seem to fade toward the end of an NFL season. It's a lot of football to put your body through. I'm very curious to see how he plays over these last 5 games. I think that a lot of people out there are probably looking for a reason not to consider him seriously simply because he's a rookie and they're going to be more inclined to hang any Texans success on DeMeco Ryans shoulders for "changing the culture" Any kind of slow down from Stroud as the season wraps up will give them an out and a chance to push someone else.

In the end I don't care if he gets it. Every year several players who are worthy end up being passed over. They only have one to give.

Are you possibly thinking of a 16-game season?

5,000 yards in 17 games is averaging 294 yards a game. Stroud is currently averaging 295 yards per game. His current pace (295 x 17) is 5,015 yards. He only needs to average 292 yards per game for these last 5 games to get exactly 5,000 yards.

Are you questioning a man in his 70s who's stoned most of the time? :mad:

In any case, I'd like to see CJ rack up a bunch of all time rookie records just 'cause. But whatever rookie records he ends up with, will be nice. A super bowl next year would be even nicer.

I'd say this is one year where a couple of non-QB players (McCaffery & Tyreek Hill), have a real shot and are deserving of consideration of the league MVP award, but among the QBs for consideration well there's the QBs playing Cowboys, for the Ravens, and the 'Phins. Should CJ get a few votes ? Oh I dunno why not ?

I'd say this is one year where a couple of non-QB players (McCaffery & Tyreek Hill), have a real shot and are deserving of consideration of the league MVP award, but among the QBs for consideration well there's the QBs playing Cowboys, for the Ravens, and the 'Phins. Should CJ get a few votes ? Oh I dunno why not ?

Why Lamar Jackson? Team Record notwithstanding, his QB stats are middling. Stud defense though.

If impressive stats were the thing that got you the MVP then JJ Watt would have gotten the MVP. I can’t see Tyreek Hill getting it just because he breaks 3000 yards. It’s run and catch and run. It’s a passing league. The rules have been changed so it’s easier for a QB and WR to do that.

Thus far, Stroud has some statistical triumphs, hallmark drives and moments, has his team winning despite OL/DB/all injuries, has league wide hype as a result but most importantly and obviously, the attitude and culture change for the Texans and fans is completely tangible and palpable. I've even had a couple Texans fans come up to me expressing excitement with me upon seeing a shirt or hat or something I'm wearing. Foreign concept to me.

That's probably what may end up vaulting him into serious discussion. But we have to keep it going.

I would love to sweep MVP, Rookie of the Year, Coach of the Year, and cap it off with a Super Bowl. How awesome would that be. Won't be too greedy. One game at a time.

Honestly, I have not heard or seen much at all on TJ this season, and I follow the NFL quite closely. I think you are exaggerating the "hype" about TJ. Really not much outside of Houston.

Why is TJ getting hype in Houston? Guess I don't "follow" the NFL close enough.

Why is TJ getting hype in Houston? Guess I don't "follow" the NFL close enough.
Are you mad I called out the fact that "Matrix" was exaggerating when he said: "league wide hype."

Don't be mad that there is not "league wide hype" surrounding TJ.

A lot of "hype" around Purdy, I think it's a 3 man race for MVP.

Purdy
Hurts
Jackson

Personally think
Purdy
CJ
Cheetah
DAK

Cheetah makes that team go and makes Tua look better than he is, most valuable
CJ turned around a putrid team and offense, and made receivers noone respected look good. Re-writing the rookie record book
Purdy is the trigger guy on the most talented team. I don't under estimate though what it takes to get these guys all fed properly. I think he is in pole position
DAK at home is MVP, road is not so much
Mahommes is only there for history, this year is not that special

Lamar, nothing exceptional, their defense is leading the team.
Jalen, no way. JJ could not win with crazy good stats as a defender

Rookie's so often seem to fade toward the end of an NFL season. It's a lot of football to put your body through. I'm very curious to see how he plays over these last 5 games. I think that a lot of people out there are probably looking for a reason not to consider him seriously simply because he's a rookie and they're going to be more inclined to hang any Texans success on DeMeco Ryans shoulders for "changing the culture" Any kind of slow down from Stroud as the season wraps up will give them an out and a chance to push someone else.

In the end I don't care if he gets it. Every year several players who are worthy end up being passed over. They only have one to give.
Stroud was getting stronger in his 13th game last year (against Georgia); then all the training to get ready for the draft.

The only possible downside is the beating he's been taking lately.

Personally think
Purdy
CJ
Cheetah
DAK

Cheetah makes that team go and makes Tua look better than he is, most valuable
CJ turned around a putrid team and offense, and made receivers noone respected look good. Re-writing the rookie record book
Purdy is the trigger guy on the most talented team. I don't under estimate though what it takes to get these guys all fed properly. I think he is in pole position
DAK at home is MVP, road is not so much
Mahommes is only there for history, this year is not that special

Lamar, nothing exceptional, their defense is leading the team.
Jalen, no way. JJ could not win with crazy good stats as a defender
Give me

McCaffery
Hill
Purdy
Stroud

Pretty good company to be in.

Stroud is second in the Pro Bowl votes right now behind Tua. Has a rookie ever been that close to the top of Pro Bowl votes?

Purdy is interesting. His stats back it up - but he also has maybe the best supporting cast.With Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC and Kittle on the receiving side, a great O-line and great defense. Basically he probably has the easiest job of any of the top tier QBs (you can argue about Hurts here as well). So he is playing great in a great situation - should that take away from his play? That's the question of how you define MVP. Best player on best team (that would be CMC for the 49ers if you ask me). Most impactful player on the best team (probably Purdy, but there could also be an argument for CMC). Or player, that adds the most wins for a team - here I would say CJ adds more wins to the Texans than Purdy does for the 49ers, simply because of how important the run game is for the 49ers and how well the defense is playing and how much skill they have in the receiving corps.

Not really.
They still have to practice for the bowl games.
At least 4hrs a day per practice.
I think bowl teams are limited to 15 practices before the bowl game.

jimmora.gif

Dude, they had a month between games. He wasn't going full bore car crashes for 4 weeks.

I actually think you get the point.

jimmora.gif

Dude, they had a month between games. He wasn't going full bore car crashes for 4 weeks.

I actually think you get the point.
I get the point, that's why I said "not really"; meaning they may not have games, but they still practice.
That's why some players opt not to play in bowl game(s).
Some players do get injured during practices.
Some take practice more seriously than others.
The key point is that CJ keeps his stamina up with these practices and then some more for the combine.

His body is prepared to go the length of an NFL season.

I get the point, that's why I said "not really"; meaning they may not have games, but they still practice.
The key point is that CJ keeps his stamina up with these practices and then some more for the combine.

Ok, guy..

By that logic nobody has bye weeks then because NFL teams practice during their bye weeks too. Come on, man.
Classic example of arguing just to argue.

Back