Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should Cj Stroud be in the MVP conversation?

We're talking about people talking. The talking heads specifically. Yeah if the talking heads are talking about the Lions winning the Super Bowl, they should stop.

I agree. Doesn't make sense. That's just the way it is. Texans are more than likely to lose out than they are to win out. Cj's going to take the hit for that.

Damn. And here I thought I was a Debbie Downer.

I think what TK meant to say was, "yes, no, if this, if that, maybe Stroud" should be in the discussion for MVP.

I think right now, yes, Stroud s/b in the conversation. That said, had Boyd held on in the endzone, we're not having this conversation today. Last minute heroics aside, Stroud had two fumbles and a terrible interception yesterday as well as a low (59%) completion percentage. You're not going to get that lucky often in the NFL. If he's to stay in the conversation for MVP, he needs to raise his completion percentage. Highest completion % is owned by Allen at 71.3. For comparison sake, Bryce Young is 25th in the NFL completing just 62.8. Stroud has completed just 61.1% of his passes on the season, just .3 percentage points above benched Kenny Pickett.

As I’ve mentioned somewhere around here, yeah, Stroud’s completion percentage is lower but he’s not attempting as many high completion check downs. He’s #1 in 20+ yard completions, #1 in average intended air yards per attempt, and #2 in average air yards per completion. Simply a lot more chunk plays that are going to be lower percentage throws.

So completion percentage alone doesn’t paint a complete picture. Hell, David Carr led the NFL in completion percentage in 2006. Didn’t really mean much.

The Colts just came off a 2-14 season.
Talks of Luck as an MVP started a little earlier than today in 2012, when the Colts were 5-3

In the conversation here is more of a way to say that the guy is playing very well.

He wasn't among the 10 finalist. He didn't win his division. JJ Watt should have won it.

As I’ve mentioned somewhere around here, yeah, Stroud’s completion percentage is lower but he’s not attempting as many high completion check downs. He’s #1 in 20+ yard completions, #1 in average intended air yards per attempt, and #2 in average air yards per completion. Simply a lot more chunk plays that are going to be lower percentage throws.

So completion percentage alone doesn’t paint a complete picture. Hell, David Carr led the NFL in completion percentage in 2006. Didn’t really mean much.
If I were to say Cj sneezed but didn't cover his nose, would you feel compelled to come to his defense?

If I were to say Cj sneezed but didn't cover his nose, would you feel compelled to come to his defense?

I’m simply responding to what I see on the football field and not putting the luggage of the Texans past failures on his shoulders. If you can’t do that then we have nothing else to talk about.

I’m simply responding to what I see on the football field and not putting the luggage of the Texans past failures on his shoulders. If you can’t do that then we have nothing else to talk about.
I don't & wouldn't do that for anyone else. This is reality. This is the Texans, Cj has to overcome that whether you want to believe it or not.

The league is in trouble

cj-stroud-stroud.gif

I feel like he's being undersold by NFL media and not really being celebrated or talked about enough by general football public. If this kid played for any other team the media would be in a frenzy about him right now ready to crown him. This is a team nobody wanted to care about this year.

I think the media is on to him. Every daytime football show yesterday had a Texans section with lots of love for CJ, some for Demeco, and how they have turned things around. Many talking heads have him in MVP conversations and say playing like top ten player in the league. All that being said, it is nice, but all I want is W's. If the media does not notice we win a super bowl, I don't care, I want the Texans to be like the Astro's, perennial contenders in AFC championship games and super bowls. Build it, and the bandwagon will grow. I don't blame the media, every time they started hopping on Houston in the past, we wet the bed and made them look stupid

I feel like he's being undersold by NFL media and not really being celebrated or talked about enough by general football public. If this kid played for any other team the media would be in a frenzy about him right now ready to crown him. This is a team nobody wanted to care about this year.
How you come to this conclusion, he’s being praised and talked highly about on every media platform out there. Especially mainstream. They’re talking about the Texans contending for a playoff spot and winning their division.

You are a true traglodyte. When people say they don't watch mainstream media you know they lying because they're always quoting them. But you sir... truly are disconnected from mainstream media because Cj Stroud is about all they are talking about.

giphy.gif

That's certainly a fair and valid point. My concern is, the Texans had a 20-7 lead with 7 minutes left in the third quarter. CJ Stroud, according to the box score missed on 9 short passes in that game. Sometimes Stroud is going to be tasked with taking air out of the football. I'd just like to see him round out his game a little more with a higher completion percentage. I'm not asking for 70%. 65% would put him about in the middle of the pack. Defenses are going to find a way to shut down those chunk plays. Baltimore did it in the first game. And I'd like to see the Texans not have to rely on last second heroics by Stroud. Close these games out, don't let it get that close.

Yeah he’s getting some coverage sure but I just feel like it’s still just not the same coverage he would be getting if he played for the Colts or Giants or Steelers and having the goat rookie season he’s having, it would be out of hand if a rookie QB playing for any other team was having this type of year, **** I feel like more was being made out of Trevor Lawrence rookie season.

Yeah he’s getting some coverage sure but I just feel like it’s still just not the same coverage he would be getting if he played for the Colts or Giants or Steelers and having the goat rookie season he’s having, it would be out of hand if a rookie QB playing for any other team was having this type of year, **** I feel like more was being made out of Trevor Lawrence rookie season.

This is a fun thread you should check out..

I think what TK meant to say was, "yes, no, if this, if that, maybe Stroud" should be in the discussion for MVP.

I think right now, yes, Stroud s/b in the conversation. That said, had Boyd held on in the endzone, we're not having this conversation today. Last minute heroics aside, Stroud had two fumbles and a terrible interception yesterday as well as a low (59%) completion percentage. You're not going to get that lucky often in the NFL. If he's to stay in the conversation for MVP, he needs to raise his completion percentage. Highest completion % is owned by Allen at 71.3. For comparison sake, Bryce Young is 25th in the NFL completing just 62.8. Stroud has completed just 61.1% of his passes on the season, just .3 percentage points above benched Kenny Pickett.

Allen is also 5-5 this year and getting the reputation of not being able to get his team to the next level. But he's got a nice completion percentage.

Lamar Jackson won MVP with 66% completion percentage. Cam Newton did it with a 59% completion percentage.

Mahomes was 66% and 67% respectively in his two MVP seasons. Rodgers got one of his at 65%. Two of Brady's MVPs were at 66%.

Does Stroud need to improve his completion percentage? (notice I did not say accuracy) Yes he does. But I don't want him taking more sacks instead of throwing the ball away. Given a choice between the two, I'll take the lower completion percentage. And it doesn't need to be anywhere close to 71% to be considered an MVP.

And I'd like to see the Texans not have to rely on last second heroics by Stroud. Close these games out, don't let it get that close.
Great discussion. I'm sure no one disagrees with this thought.

However, this game was not as close as the score would suggest. The Texans controlled the game up until the interception, letting Cinci back in the game. All that to say, even with his completion percentage that game was well in hand & had little to do with the need for last minute heroics. The change in play-calling, a more "predictable" m.o. is what led to the theatrics.

jmo.

Allen is also 5-5 this year and getting the reputation of not being able to get his team to the next level. But he's got a nice completion percentage.

Lamar Jackson won MVP with 66% completion percentage. Cam Newton did it with a 59% completion percentage.

Mahomes was 66% and 67% respectively in his two MVP seasons. Rodgers got one of his at 65%. Two of Brady's MVPs were at 66%.

Does Stroud need to improve his completion percentage? (notice I did not say accuracy) Yes he does. But I don't want him taking more sacks instead of throwing the ball away. Given a choice between the two, I'll take the lower completion percentage. And it doesn't need to be anywhere close to 71% to be considered an MVP.
I remember several drops, for sure Tank and Schultz each had at least one, moves him to 64% last week as example. I want an effective passing game, we have that. And he does not take the risks a JOsh Allen or Favre or these other guys do to get his yards.

I remember several drops, for sure Tank and Schultz each had at least one, moves him to 64% last week as example. I want an effective passing game, we have that. And he does not take the risks a JOsh Allen or Favre or these other guys do to get his yards.
I thought Tank was huge in that game. I was shocked to see he only had 56 yards on a day Cj threw for 350.

With Noah Brown's performance the last 2 games (13 receptions for 325 yards - 25 yards per catch avg.) I would think he will pulling some attention away from Dell and the rest of the receivers.

Just as a side note Shultz was #2 behind Brown in the last 2 games with 14 receptions for 201 yards averaging 14 yards per catch .

MVP or not.... CJ is a uniter.

Look at this forum... even pessimistic mockers are finding hope and sipping on some koolaid..... complaining about the temperature of course... but the flavor is still sweet.

IF not MVP now, its sure only a case of "yet".
The key to really good Kool Aid is cannasugar.

I mean he should be in the conversation. He is leading the league in ypg and has thrown for the fewest interceptions compared to the other top 10 QBs. He also has the most throws over 20 yards. And he is probably leading his team to the most additional wins compared to last season (sure Demeco needs some recognition as well, just as some other players, but i think most will agree, that Stroud plays a very big part here).

But I doubt he wins it - guys like Hurts are probably the frontrunner (with the most total TDs). Since noone is running away with it, someone like Hill, CMC or Garrett might even get it. Strouds big chance is, that it probably would be the most interesting storyline. He would need to make the playoffs and at least stay on track. But I do believe, that the Texans would lose more games compared to any other team, if they would switch out their QB for someone like Tannehill.

Regular season MVP? Don’t care. He’s this team’s MVP.

I’m more interested in if he’ll be in the Super Bowl MVP conversation…

Ever since they punked JJ out of the MVP and gave it Rodgers who had worse numbers than Schaub’s best season, I couldn’t give a rat's ass about these awards. The only award that matters is the Lombardi.

I get the fans want the recognition for the players on their team, and that’s fine. To me, just having those players being talked about means they are playing well. Players playing well means a better shot at the Lombardi. That’s all I care about.

Well, I guess SB MVP is important because that means your team won the Lombardi. And yes, I know it’s happened before but a player on the losing team will never win the SB MVP again.

Ever since they punked JJ out of the MVP and gave it Rodgers who had worse numbers than Schaub’s best season, I couldn’t give a rat's ass about these awards. The only award that matters is the Lombardi.

I get the fans want the recognition for the players on their team, and that’s fine. To me, just having those players being talked about means they are playing well. Players playing well means a better shot at the Lombardi. That’s all I care about.

Well, I guess SB MVP is important because that means your team won the Lombardi. And yes, I know it’s happened before but a player on the losing team will never win the SB MVP again.
I don't get why fans care about players getting awards. Fact is only two awards matter

1. SB champions
2. HOF

Back