Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should Bill O'Brien tell the truth to the press/media?

Should Bill O'Brien tell the truth to the press/media?

• Yes, transparency should be expected for followers of the Texans.

• No, he can lie all he wants, I just care about wins and losses.

• Yes/No, other reasons (post reply)

• Just show me the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
GM/Head coach dual role has the disadvantage of not having a bad guy (the GM) to point your finger at as a coach in player negotiations and say that you really like the player but the GM has your hands tied in trading you or any other negative that comes up as teams deal w/ players. It also muddies the waters dealing w/ the press as you may be wearing the GM hat when answering a coach question. I'm not sure why anyone really cares about any of this other than to point out another thing they don't like about BOB. He could be Lucifer in a press conference for all I care as long as he's winning on the field.

GM/Head coach dual role has the disadvantage of not having a bad guy (the GM) to point your finger at as a coach in player negotiations and say that you really like the player but the GM has your hands tied in trading you or any other negative that comes up as teams deal w/ players. It also muddies the waters dealing w/ the press as you may be wearing the GM hat when answering a coach question. I'm not sure why anyone really cares about any of this other than to point out another thing they don't like about BOB. He could be Lucifer in a press conference for all I care as long as he's winning on the field.

I really don't care if he can build a respectable offense, call timeouts properly, throw challenge flags at the right time and evaluate plus develop guys like a real coach. None of which he's done.

So sure, add GM duties to his plate. Keep adding stuff and we might find out what he's good at.

I really don't care if he can build a respectable offense, call timeouts properly, throw challenge flags at the right time and evaluate plus develop guys like a real coach. None of which he's done.

So sure, add GM duties to his plate. Keep adding stuff and we might find out what he's good at.
We might. I've called out BOB on what I see as his shortcomings but I've also held out hope that he can grow as a coach and learn from mistakes. If the offense is humming along this year, I'm prepared to give him credit for growing (I'm not sure why 10-6 last year doesn't give him at least a little bit of leeway to grow in your eyes). If the O isn't good, I'm also prepared to say that BOB doesn't have what it takes -- and you will have been right all along. Can you at least tap the brakes on the droning on and on about how bad BOB sucks and let's see how the season goes?

We might. I've called out BOB on what I see as his shortcomings but I've also held out hope that he can grow as a coach and learn from mistakes. If the offense is humming along this year, I'm prepared to give him credit for growing (I'm not sure why 10-6 last year doesn't give him at least a little bit of leeway to grow in your eyes). If the O isn't good, I'm also prepared to say that BOB doesn't have what it takes -- and you will have been right all along. Can you at least tap the brakes on the droning on and on about how bad BOB sucks and let's see how the season goes?

I would if he didn't do things like bring in and start Matt Kalil

I would if he didn't do things like bring in and start Matt Kalil
Yes, bring in Kalil and resign Henderson this year and then draft 2 tackles, but then play them at G, which last year they drafted 1 thinking he was a T but moved him to G and brought in 2 more by FA. Then sign Fells at TE and bottleneck this position as well by drafting another TE with their 3rd round pick this year that may create problems retaining everyone on the roster. All moves on the offensive side of the ball and all pointing at BOB. All things that have been pointed out by myself and others as weaknesses of BOB's. And all things that add up for reasons to can him if things don't play out on the field this year. Now let's see what happens on the field.

I'm prepared to give him credit for growing (I'm not sure why 10-6 last year doesn't give him at least a little bit of leeway to grow in your eyes). If the O isn't good, I'm also prepared to say that BOB doesn't have what it takes -- and you will have been right all along. Can you at least tap the brakes on the droning on and on about how bad BOB sucks and let's see how the season goes?

11-5

But I'm hoping the Texans are 12-4 next season. I've got no problem saying he's a good HC. Even though there's plenty of evidence that says otherwise. The w-l says as much. & that's all that really matters. In my mind anyway.

Yes, bring in Kalil and resign Henderson this year and then draft 2 tackles, but then play them at G, which last year they drafted 1 thinking he was a T but moved him to G and brought in 2 more by FA. Then sign Fells at TE and bottleneck this position as well by drafting another TE with their 3rd round pick this year that may create problems retaining everyone on the roster. All moves on the offensive side of the ball and all pointing at BOB. All things that have been pointed out by myself and others as weaknesses of BOB's. And all things that add up for reasons to can him if things don't play out on the field this year. Now let's see what happens on the field.
Texans signed Fells just before the draft. He didn’t have an extensive resume. Was a journeyman. Am I missing something here? Fells seems to be succeeding at a level other teams/coaches couldnt develop. In addition I believe he was picked up because of the Texans stated interest in getting bigger, faster and taller. For example, the new ex Jet CB we signed is 6’2”. This plan is working. I think it is an amazing level of depth we are finally starting to stockpile at key positions. And the keen interest in competition is showing us a Fells, Roderick Johnson, Tyron Johnson Bellamy, Howell, Crockett, etc. Watching these games the Texans do look faster and more competitive than the last few years. I wish we could find more interest around here with all the good stories that are right in our face. This negative crap ain’t holding water. Edit. This isn’t directed at you Max. I just wanted to pick up on your bottleneck suggestion as a good thing actually because of the depth and competitiveness we are finally seeing.

Last edited:
Texans signed Fells just before the draft. He didn’t have an extensive resume. Was a journeyman. Am I missing something here? Fells seems to be succeeding at a level other teams/coaches couldnt develop. In addition I believe he was picked up because of the Texans stated interest in getting bigger, faster and taller. For example, the new ex Jet CB we signed is 6’2”. This plan is working. I think it is an amazing level of depth we are finally starting to stockpile at key positions. And the keen interest in competition is showing us a Fells, Roderick Johnson, Tyron Johnson Bellamy, Howell, Crockett, etc. Watching these games the Texans do look faster and more competitive than the last few years. I wish we could find more interest around here with all the good stories that are right in our face. This negative crap ain’t holding water. Edit. This isn’t directed at you Max. I just wanted to pick up on your bottleneck suggestion as a good thing actually because of the depth and competitiveness we are finally seeing.
Evaluating talent on the offensive side of the ball? Bottlenecks aren't a good thing when they're self inflicted because of incorrect talent evaluations and the capital could have/should have been spent on other areas of need. More than happy to celebrate the good with you but I'm not going to spin a negative into a positive just to be positive.

Nothing wrong with cheering for these guys but they are a bunch of guys who were either undrafted or cut by other teams. Not typically the profile that leads to a lot of success and fan excitement

11-5

But I'm hoping the Texans are 12-4 next season. I've got no problem saying he's a good HC. Even though there's plenty of evidence that says otherwise. The w-l says as much. & that's all that really matters. In my mind anyway.

This is possible, but the AFC is really stacked this year. Hell, our division is stacked. They will need to make some sort of trade or trades to hang with the big boys this season once it comes playoff time again. We can make moves that most other contenders can't cap wise. The Texans need to capitalize on that once the opportunity appears. We have to be that team. Its going to take an extra magnificent group of talent to overcome the short comings that OB has as a HC for us. He has his positives, but we need to improve this roster still. Until then, Deshaun is about to...........

Evaluating talent on the offensive side of the ball? Bottlenecks aren't a good thing when they're self inflicted because of incorrect talent evaluations and the capital could have/should have been spent on other areas of need. More than happy to celebrate the good with you but I'm not going to spin a negative into a positive just to be positive.
No way man. Texans began 2019 with the two Jordan’s at TE...promising but unproven. They drafted Warring as the potential third TE for the 53. They had a journeyman TE, Adams, on the PS at the end of last season and signed another, Fells before the draft in 2019. Warring was the only draft capital spent and they needed a potential starting third TE. There was no waste in that strategy. Fells and Adams were virtual new unknowns. Rather than an incorrect talent evaluation those two turned out to be excellent talent evaluations extracted by obvious good coaching that earlier failed in their journeyman careers. are you actually saying we should only bring in players discarded off of other rosters only for practice bodies otherwise we just create bottlenecks? That position is the very essence of what the Texans have stated they want to do. Create competition. Competition does and has given the chance to allow the cream to rise to the top. The goal of course is to get bottlenecks at all positions but they just don’t breakout at the same time in every position. Guess we see the world through different lenses.

Warring is just as unknown as all the other TEs we have on the roster. He also has less playing time compared to the other ones.

Just a dumb pick when other positions needed to be addressed before TE.

Dude is gonna be another Benny Joppru. This team likes wasting 3rd round picks.

Site unseen my ass. They saw him for practically half a season. Poor judgement sure, but they saw plenty of him on the field in action.

I agree they said they watched his Denver games but they didn't do their due diligence. Poor wording on my part. They never talked to him or met with him before the trade. When I went to training camp and specifically watched Brock practicing, every single long pass he threw that day was a wounded duck. I said to my wife that I hoped he was rusty or didn't feel good. His arm never improved in his time with us. It was my opinion that we didn't do our homework and the trade was a knee jerk to calm down the fans.

Last edited:
Warring is just as unknown as all the other TEs we have on the roster. He also has less playing time compared to the other ones.

Just a dumb pick when other positions needed to be addressed before TE.
Why. They have to have a third valid TE and by all evaluations he has freak talent and was having a great camp. He’s got a hamstring now....Clowney had micro fracture surgery. It happens. What if he was healthy and continued to impress in the preseason? You hindsight guys are pin heads. Let’s see how this all works out.

I agree they said they watched his Denver games but they didn't do their due diligence. Poor wording on my part. They never talked to him or met with him before the trade. When I went to training camp and specifically watched Brock practicing, every single long pass he threw that day was a wounded duck. I said to my wife that I hoped he was rusty or didn't feel good. His arm never improved in his time with us. It was my opinion that we didn't do our homework and the trade was a knee jerk to calm down the fans.

They weren't allowed to talk with him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...meeting-a-hallmark-of-modern-nfl-free-agency/

It the same way F/As are signed literally within minutes of F/A coming open.

Listen to the "Useless sound montage" that the LeBatard show puts together every week during the football season. Coaches in the NFL don't say a single thing interesting. It's hilarious how they all sound the same. Because of this, I don't care one bit about whether Bill tells the truth or not to the media. Just win and say nothing of importance to the media. I don't care.

They're allowed to talk to him once free agency starts.

For some reason they thought Brock would be in such high demand and would be immediately signed.

They based this on O'Briens film study.

He was in high demand, starter QBs rarely hit F/A and starter QBs just coming off being on a SB winning team almost never do. The only reason he did is Elway thought he was a sure thing and was showing respect to Manning but in exchange Osweiler felt disrespected.

When they realized that he could actually leave they started matching us penny for penny and this from a GM that has a rep for setting his price and not moving it.

But you don't care about facts because it doesn't fit your "Everything is Bill O'Brien's fault" narrative.

His arm was just fine from what I saw in Denver. I never noticed his awful release there. Not sure why. I wasn't for the trade initially, but then I bought in pretty quickly after hearing him speak and he seemed like he was on his way to being a great team leader with a chip on his shoulder. I thought he performed real well in pre season. Hell, he had some strong moments in the first two games of that season. Then after that, his real arm showed up. His slow release took a year to get a pass off. His accuracy was terrible. His attitude wasn't much better. No doubt he was a total disaster.

He was in high demand, starter QBs rarely hit F/A and starter QBs just coming off being on a SB winning team almost never do. The only reason he did is Elway thought he was a sure thing and was showing respect to Manning but in exchange Osweiler felt disrespected.

When they realized that he could actually leave they started matching us penny for penny and this from a GM that has a rep for setting his price and not moving it.

But you don't care about facts because it doesn't fit your "Everything is Bill O'Brien's fault" narrative.

He was not in high demand.

The Texans need to capitalize on that once the opportunity appears. We have to be that team.

Time to be that team has passed. We're not that team.
Its going to take an extra magnificent group of talent to overcome the short comings that OB has as a HC for us. He has his positives, but we need to improve this roster still. Until then...

Yup. That's why I'm saying if we're a 12 win team in 2019, I'll have to admit he's a good HC...

Time to be that team has passed. We're not that team.

Yup. That's why I'm saying if we're a 12 win team in 2019, I'll have to admit he's a good HC...
Where would the offense have to be in the rankings? To me that is the true test for OB. Dumb luck, Watson’s excellent season and a stout defense got the Texans 9 straight last season.

Only other team offering was Denver and they offered less

There being only two teams doesn't prove anything. With high dollar F/As there are often only two or three teams in the running. With Trent Brown there was only Oakland, Houston and NE, with Levon Bell there was only Baltimore and New York. If Williams leaves Washington most say Houston is really the only major player with both the need and money to sign him. Were any of those players not in high demand? No other team had the need and the capital like Houston did to sign Osweiler except Denver.

As far as Denver offering less that's as weak an argument as you could possibly make. First you don't know what they actually finally offered him but of course it was less than Houston, though speculation and reports said they were ready to match Houston if Osweiler had returned their calls. To use the previous examples I guess Trent Brown wasn't in high demand because Oaklands offer was a no brainer, that was Brown's words by the way, or Bell because Jets was said to be so much higher than Baltimore's and friends of Bell said he wanted to play for Baltimore, to stick it to the Steelers, but Jets offer was just to good.

Where would the offense have to be in the rankings? To me that is the true test for OB.

I'd so much rather he let loose the reigns on the offense. Whoever he puts out there as OC, let him sink or swim. If the dude can do the job, let him do the job. If not, find someone who can.

Manage the game. Make it work.

Just asking... does Pete Carroll call plays for the Seahawks?

Where would the offense have to be in the rankings? To me that is the true test for OB. Dumb luck, Watson’s excellent season and a stout defense got the Texans 9 straight last season.

BOB gets no credit for Watson's excellent season?

delete
The one where he got hurt and they didn't use the EP system?

Yes that one, I dont want him running a system that increases the odds of Watson getting hurt. Do you like the EP system more than the WC system? I do

I don't like the EP system the way it's run here. They can run a wc that doesn't get the hurt

Tell me what you dont like about the way the EP system and the way it's run here compared to the way other teams run the EP system? Be specific.

Also remember Watston was basically a rookie QB and played behind a terrible OL last yr.

Tell me what you dont like about the way the EP system and the way it's run here compared to the way other teams run the EP system? Be specific.

Also remember Watston was basically a rookie QB and played behind a terrible OL last yr.

Too many slow developing iso routes. Not enough passing to RBs and TEs because they need to be used to block

Back