Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sexual Assault Suits Against Watson

Of course there is one more option, Goodell could suspend Watson. From what I've read, this step is normally not taken before the legal cases have been concluded, but Goodell does have the authority to suspend at any time. He just might take this action rather than the exempt list.

I didn't know this.

I thought the CBA wouldn't allow this?

If Watson does not report, why should Goodell take any action at all? Watson will be fined and the NFL wins because Watson is not on the field and the Texans win because Watson is fined for missing games.

Watson loses.

This I think is the argument for why Watson will make an appearance.

In this case Goodell will place Watson on the exempt list. The NFL wins because Watson is not on the field and Watson wins because he gets paid. The Texans lose because they have to pay Watson his salary.

If Watson is wanting to stiff the Texans, this would seem to be the way to do so.

Of course I'm thinking people act rationally, which often is not the case. So for me, it comes down to whether Goodell feels he has to make a statement/move before Watson decides on his course of action.
Out of curiosity what do you think a DW appearance in TC would look like? Would he have to be physically on the practice field? Standing on the sidelines and watching? Would he have to be given access to the Texans playbook? Seems there would have to be some physical effort on his part to validate an “appearance”? Otherwise it sounds subversive for someone who vows never to play for them again To gain access to their new offense. That would be an extremely awkward situation for all involved. If any of this is the case it would seem the NFL is allowing a player to rape a team and I can’t see how Goodell could allow that to happen With so many other wheels falling off the NFL cart.

Sometimes when you google research, what you find could be outdated. What I found was fairly recent, like 2019 maybe. So you may be right. The most recent CBA was this past year, 2020.

I don't know either,

The legal stuff I can't keep up with. Nor do I want to try to keep up with it.

You're a better man than I am.

Out of curiosity what do you think a DW appearance in TC would look like? Would he have to be physically on the practice field? Standing on the sidelines and watching? Would he have to be given access to the Texans playbook? Seems there would have to be some physical effort on his part to validate an “appearance”? Otherwise it sounds subversive for someone who vows never to play for them again To gain access to their new offense. That would be an extremely awkward situation for all involved. If any of this is the case it would seem the NFL is allowing a player to rape a team and I can’t see how Goodell could allow that to happen With so many other wheels falling off the NFL cart.
I'll first say, players on the exempt list have full access to the facilities, can attend meeting, can be treated, lift. They just can't be on the field to practice or attend games.

Now for Watson, what did he actually say? Did he say he'd never play? Whatever he said, would there be enough leeway in interpretation to still "save face" but suit up for practice.

This is how I would see it. After high fiving his team mates, maybe making some comments to the media, he'd walkover to his locker, suit up and then lead everyone out onto the field, just as if everything was normal. At least, that is how I would play my hand. Whether Watson has the cajonies to play it like this, I don't know.

You know the paparazzi are going to be in attendance.

Now, can he show but not suit up? Good question. By showing up though, he has thrown the ball into the Texans' court. Can't you imagine the frenzy in the front offices and the calls being made to league offices.

You talk about entertaining???

Watson can show up like nothing is happening. And the Texans could suspend him for being a detrimental to the team and the commish could suspend him just like Numbers mentioned above.

Watson can show up like nothing is happening. And the Texans could suspend him for being a detrimental to the team and the commish could suspend him just like Numbers mentioned above.

On what grounds would Watson be detrimental to the team? On what grounds could Goodell suspend Watson without pay?

On what grounds would Watson be detrimental to the team? On what grounds could Goodell suspend Watson without pay?
Deshaun Watson already may be facing a suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2021, 6:39 PM EDT

"...there’s already enough evidence to support a suspension under the Personal Conduct Policy, if the league chooses to take action.

It’s important to remember that the league has significant discretion when it comes to activating and applying the policy that regulates employee conduct away from work. The vast majority of American employers do not discipline employees for things they do when not working; as long as they are able to continue to show up, they continue to be employed.

But the NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed years ago to allow for discipline to be imposed for off-duty misconduct, primarily as a tool for enhancing the overall image of the league and its players. Over time, the Personal Conduct Policy has become broader — and the league has acquired the ability to essentially decide on a case-by-case basis whether and to what extent action will be taken against any player...

...the league would be able to suspend Watson based simply on the volume of claims and the admission in his lawyer’s recent statement that one of the paid massage sessions became a sexual encounter..."
(the link is NBC and may take a bit to load)

Deshaun Watson already may be facing a suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2021, 6:39 PM EDT

"...there’s already enough evidence to support a suspension under the Personal Conduct Policy, if the league chooses to take action.

/[/URL]
Evidence? Allegations aren’t evidence. Watson is being criminally investigated. But no charges have been filed. Goodell isn’t going to a suspension until there is some kind of resolution. But, he won’t allow Watson to represent the league until there is a resolution. That’s why the exempt list is in Watson’s future.

I plainly stated that past precedence does not lean in that direction. But the CBA grants broad discretion in the Personal Conduct Policy to allow the Commishioner to do so, as my link explains.

And you do not know how Goodell will decide in this matter.

i didn’t say anything about without pay. And the Texans can suspend him for his actions throughout this offseason.

Suspend Watson for what you exactly? I have no idea what you guys are getting at. The NFL and the Texans are not putting their collective thumb on the scale. Have they done anything to this point? That should tell you everything you need to know.

I'll first say, players on the exempt list have full access to the facilities, can attend meeting, can be treated, lift. They just can't be on the field to practice or attend games.

Now for Watson, what did he actually say? Did he say he'd never play? Whatever he said, would there be enough leeway in interpretation to still "save face" but suit up for practice.

This is how I would see it. After high fiving his team mates, maybe making some comments to the media, he'd walkover to his locker, suit up and then lead everyone out onto the field, just as if everything was normal. At least, that is how I would play my hand. Whether Watson has the cajonies to play it like this, I don't know.

Now, can he show but not suit up? Good question. By showing up though, he has thrown the ball into the Texans' court. Can't you imagine the frenzy in the front offices and the calls being made to league offices.

He has vowed never to play for the Texans again. He is posting workout videos. I thought I read he told DC that he won’t play for the Texans and you think he will be high fiving teammates and leading them onto the practice field As if those players love to follow a quitting, finger in the ass sexual predator? What kind of idiots do you think the Texans players are? That they would stupidly dis Tyrod to his face….then have to play with him during the season? He might assault a 120# masseuse in his own “playing field” but you think he would get a 330# Tackle to dis his QB as the way to play this? Oh god I hope you are right. That locker room would soften him up for the inmates.

Breaking covid protocol for starters .... countless times.

He'd admitted to being with many of these women .... consensual sex and all.

So what kind of suspension would that bring? If Watson is criminally convicted, he could face a lifetime ban subject to future reinstatement based on the Goodell’s discretion. Does anyone think Goodell is going to rush to judgement on this?

So what kind of suspension would that bring? If Watson is criminally convicted, he could face a lifetime ban subject to future reinstatement based on the Goodell’s discretion. Does anyone think Goodell is going to rush to judgement on this?

Not if Ray Rice is any indicator, unless of course there's a video.

He has vowed never to play for the Texans again. He is posting workout videos. I thought I read he told DC that he won’t play for the Texans and you think he will be high fiving teammates and leading them onto the practice field As if those players love to follow a quitting, finger in the ass sexual predator? What kind of idiots do you think the Texans players are? That they would stupidly dis Tyrod to his face….then have to play with him during the season? He might assault a 120# masseuse in his own “playing field” but you think he would get a 330# Tackle to dis his QB as the way to play this? Oh god I hope you are right. That locker room would soften him up for the inmates.
So you are confirming that Watson "vowed never to play for the Texans". This is also my interpretation of his remarks as I have heard them.

But "play" is not necessarily the equivalent of "practice". The point of my comments, which should have been clear, is that Watson has the option to show up to training camp; and I would add, to do so without losing face or going back on his previous "vow".

The discussion further expanded on how an appearance by Watson might play out. I never said I expected the scenario I laid out to actually take place as described.

But I would now add that, yes, I think that Watson would still have some, let me repeat, some, support in the locker room. How much? Who knows. But there is chatter on 610 that there is still the belief that the Texans would be better off with Watson at QB. So...if he shows up, I seriously doubt the locker room would be entirely frigid toward him.

But I'm on record as saying that if Watson did make an appearance, this would put the Texans behind the 8 ball. As I commented earlier, I can imagine the frenzy in the front offices and the calls to league headquarters.

On the other hand, if management has done their due diligence, they would have considered this possibility and have their contingency plans already decided upon.

The discussion for weeks has been focused on Watson being placed on the exempt list. I simply laid out the fact that Goodell has the option of suspending Watson and the discussion expanded to whether the CBA allowed this. I found a link that supported the idea that he does have this authority. But I also found that it has not been used this strictly in the past. If used this early against Watson it would set a new precedence.

No he’s not rushing to make a decision on Watson. If he was he would’ve been dropped the hammer on him. Remember he didn’t drop the hammer on E. Elliot until a year later.

Many people have spoken regarding the Texans unilaterally suspending Watson or cancelling his contract due to off field issues. But, looking through the terms of player contracts and the CBA, I have found no evidence that this can be done without ultimate review by the League with again the Commissioner (not the team) deciding/signing off the final outcome.

So you are confirming that Watson "vowed never to play for the Texans". This is also my interpretation of his remarks as I have heard them.

But "play" is not necessarily the equivalent of "practice". The point of my comments, which should have been clear, is that Watson has the option to show up to training camp; and I would add, to do so without losing face or going back on his previous "vow".

The discussion further expanded on how an appearance by Watson might play out. I never said I expected the scenario I laid out to actually take place as described.

But I would now add that, yes, I think that Watson would still have some, let me repeat, some, support in the locker room. How much? Who knows. But there is chatter on 610 that there is still the belief that the Texans would be better off with Watson at QB. So...if he shows up, I seriously doubt the locker room would be entirely frigid toward him.

But I'm on record as saying that if Watson did make an appearance, this would put the Texans behind the 8 ball. As I commented earlier, I can imagine the frenzy in the front offices and the calls to league headquarters.

On the other hand, if management has done their due diligence, they would have considered this possibility and have their contingency plans already decided upon.
Yep, me and the rest of the nation understand he won’t ever play for them, no matter what the definition of “is” is. He did not attend the previous one month of OTA’s while TT was leading HIS players on the field. SHOWING UP for OTA’s was the best move he could make to practice but not go back on his “vow” to play and get support from some of his teammates, whatever that means while leaving the idea to play for them again open to speculation. He probably hasn’t played with three fourths of those players. Everyone is fighting for a job in probably the most competitive atmosphere they have ever been in and you think they will rally to DW’s side and jump around like a bunch of idiots in front of a stoic NC and DC knowing he does not want and will not be their QB? Showing up to TC now will only solidify his image as a quitter that just wants to grab the money and run. Lol, if you can do that to your team then investigators and the NFL now have even more evidence that nothing is beneath this guy. But I digress. Chatter on 610 couldn’t possibly be wrong.

Last edited:
Many people have spoken regarding the Texans unilaterally suspending Watson or cancelling his contract due to off field issues. But, looking through the terms of player contracts and the CBA, I have found no evidence that this can be done without ultimate review by the League with again the Commissioner (not the team) deciding/signing off the final outcome.
I agree. I have found the same.. Teams do not have this authority independently, only the Commishioner and the League.

Yep, me and the rest of the nation understand he won’t ever play for them, no matter what the definition of “is” is. He did not attend the previous one month of OTA’s while TT was leading HIS players on the field. SHOWING UP for OTA’s was the best move he could make to practice but not go back on his “vow” to play and get support from some of his teammates, whatever that means. He probably hasn’t played with three fourths of those players. Everyone is fighting for a job in probably the most competitive atmosphere they have ever been in and you think they will rally to DW’s side and jump around like a bunch of idiots in front of a stoic NC and DC knowing he does not want and will not be their QB? Showing up to TC now will only solidify his image as a quitter that just wants to grab the money and run. Lol, if you can do that to your team then investigators and the NFL now have even more evidence that nothing is beneath this guy. But I digress. Chatter on 610 couldn’t possibly be wrong.
You obviously haven't been following the discussion. Certainly not very closely.

Point 1. If Watson does not show up for training camp, then Goodell does not need to take any action. Watson will be fined as a no show.

Point 2. If Watson does show, he will, almost certainly, immediately be placed on the exempt list.

I do have a question I haven't looked into; and that is, if Watson is a no show for the first game/season, he's fined for each game missed; but does he still count toward the 53 for the duration of the season. I seem to recall in the past, he would be tagged as a no show, but I'm unsure how this effected the 53.

You obviously haven't been following the discussion. Certainly not very closely.

Point 1. If Watson does not show up for training camp, then Goodell does not need to take any action. Watson will be fined as a no show.

Point 2. If Watson does show, he will, almost certainly, immediately be placed on the exempt list.

I do have a question I haven't looked into; and that is, if Watson is a no show for the first game/season, he's fined for each game missed; but does he still count toward the 53 for the duration of the season. I seem to recall in the past, he would be tagged as a no show, but I'm unsure how this effected the 53.
I followed your discussion and I responded to that which was what DW should do in TC if he had the balls to do it. I assumed that according to you he would be on the CEL by making an appearance at TC but he could save face by suiting up for practice and then how he would lead the team onto the practice field. First it isn’t clear to me (from what you said in different posts) that if he is on the CEL he can suit up and be on the practice field much less lead a team onto the practice field. Then all the other scenarios just made the whole thing so bizarre I had to respond. Regarding your other question I don’t know the answer but somewhere someone posted that to get paid he has to attend x number of games so I would guess they would have to leave a roster spot open for him until he couldn’t meet the x game requirement. Don’t know if that’s an answer or not sunce I don’t care what happens to his non Texans ass.

Can you imagine if this happens the length of the suspension God'ell is going to hand out to the Pervert once all of the legal stuff shakes out. You cant tarnish the shield or try to change the way the owners do business.

Can you imagine if this happens the length of the suspension God'ell is going to hand out to the Pervert once all of the legal stuff shakes out. You cant tarnish the shield or try to change the way the owners do business.
I just caught the tail end of some discussion on 610; it seems there is some chatter in the national media from someone well known and respected (didn't catch the name) who says Goodell may suspend Watson for 6 to 8 games and allow him to be traded if any teams are interested. The speculation is Philly.

A suspended player may participate in training camp, with the suspension kicking in with the start of the season.

Just talk, but would be a good outcome for the Texans with two weeks to work things out if this happens soon. I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
I know he’ll have to face the media eventually, as in wherever he ends up, but I just don’t see him showing up at camp and doing that here. Especially after all the fuss he’s made about never playing for the Texans again.

Yes the smart move would be to show up, avoid the fines, force himself onto the CEL, whatever, I just don’t think he’s going to do it.

I know he’ll have to face the media eventually, as in wherever he ends up, but I just don’t see him showing up at camp and doing that here. Especially after all the fuss he’s made about never playing for the Texans again.

Yes the smart move would be to show up, avoid the fines, force himself onto the CEL, whatever, I just don’t think he’s going to do it.
Well, I think we know one thing for certain. Watson will be front and center as a national news story in these two weeks leading up to the opening of training camp.

Of course there is one more option, Goodell could suspend Watson. From what I've read, this step is normally not taken before the legal cases have been concluded, but Goodell does have the authority to suspend at any time. He just might take this action rather than the exempt list.
Yep what I said.

I just caught the tail end of some discussion on 610; it seems there is some chatter in the national media from someone well known and respected (didn't catch the name) who says Goodell may suspend Watson for 6 to 8 games and allow him to be traded if any teams are interested. The speculation is Philly.

A suspended player may participate in training camp, with the suspension kicking in with the start of the season.

Just talk, but would be a good outcome for the Texans with two weeks to work things out if this happens soon. I won't hold my breath.
It would be idiotic to trade him at the start of the season. Just relax, drink a brew and let it simmer. That said I’m calling BS. whats HPD’s timeline?

My point with that answer was that GOD'ell could suspend him any time he wants ..... but not for the issue at hand.
The NFLPA wouldn't let a suspension on the "sex charges" go unchallenged until those things reach a legal conclusion.

Either way , Watson isn't playing in the NFL this year .... barring a miracle by Harden.

The only reason he isn't currently on the CEL is because of the rhetoric he spewed about not playing for the Texans - Holding out / that he won't show up for mandatory team activities. That leaves him open to fines and other penalties ..... Putting him on the CEL without him showing up is just letting him and his advisors off the proverbial hook.
If he does show up for mandatory team activities that's when he goes on the CEL.

A lot of people that looked up to DW really lost their respect even like of him. Hope he can really rebuild and rehab his personal life before he takes to the field. Second chances do not come at 99.9%.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-...ch-ertz-nick-sirianni-player-rankings-058882/Eagles gearing up to go after Watson?
Brandon Lee Gowton | Bleeding Green Nation
The other big piece of "news" that came down on Wednesday, at least as it pertains to the Eagles, centered around Deshaun Watson, who has constantly been linked to Philly throughout this year. The rumors continue to persist despite Watson's considerable legal issues largely because the Eagles don't have a long-term plan in place at quarterback — unless Jalen Hurts turns out to be the guy — and could have as many as three first-round draft picks next offseason.

Connect the dots and suddenly, Howie Roseman and the Eagles emerge as a legitimate landing spot for Watson. So much so that ESPN's Adam Schefter said on 97.5 The Fanatic that Philly is better positioned than any other team in the league to make a run at the 25-year-old QB.

It’s interesting because Schefter wasn’t even specifically asked about the Houston Texans quarterback or the Eagles at all. He was actually talking about how the Sixers should look to address their issues (he thinks they should sign Kyle Lowry) and then pivoted into a big move that the Eagles should make. It’s then that he said the following:
“The Eagles are more equipped to make a run at Deshaun Watson than any team out there.”
Naturally, Schefter was asked about the allegations that Watson is facing and how those could very well impact his future.
“Let’s see how it plays out first. But, again, what I would say is if there are charges and he gets imprisoned or something happens to that effect, something far-reaching and damaging and awful … like a lot of this stuff seems, then, yeah, well, it’s not happening. But I’m operating under the assumption somehow this will be settled, or he will serve his discipline for the league, or whatever punishment he has coming, whatever is fair and just, once that is done, I just think that at that point in time, whenever it is, when he is deemed ready to play by legal authorities, by the National Football League, to me, the Philadelphia Eagles should be waiting.”
Schefter later said that he wasn’t “telling you anything you don’t know.” And that much is true from the standpoint we all know the Eagles will potentially have three first-round picks in the 2022 NFL Draft. And potentially a big need for a new starting quarterback. [bleedinggreennation.com]
That's hardly the first we've heard of this line of thinking surrounding the Eagles, and Brandon Gowton does a great job over at BGN of putting together a timeline of all the reports that have come out linking the Eagles to Watson. And then there's this nugget he just casually slips in there:

"But one might be remiss to write off Schefter’s comments as mere idle speculation. He has a history of couching information in opinion, as he did in early January when he talked about how he didn’t believe Carson Wentz wanted to be back in Philly."

THE REST OF THE STORY

In the end, what it all boils down to is just wasted literary effort, even on the part of Adam Schefter's speculation of Watson's legal fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially if criminal charges come. The NFL will make an example out of him. Because he will have to pay money. The amount of damage settlements alone will do to the NFL shield will not be good. Charges will make it so much worse.

The NFL is going to wait until they see if anyone else comes forth. And also see if Watson cops a plea deal or pays the civil suits. Roger Goodell has messed up many times in the past. So, he wants to be certain about what is happening before he is going to say anything. I am sure he has a team checking out everything that occurred to date. This is unprecedented in the NFL. A player assaulting someone, sexual misconduct, drugs, and such is all the time. However, 1 player has been accused of sexual assault and misconduct in about 40 separate lawsuits. This is something that could very well set a president for the future of punishment. Not to mention I don't doubt the NFL is also waiting to see if Watson gives up anyone (Hopkins perhaps) as an accomplice for parts of it. Then they will strike. And with the list of 40-ish I can see a season or more ban/suspension as well as forfeit of some pay or all pay dating to the first woman who filed. Meaning he could miss a year or more and have to pay the Texans back any pay since the 1st woman filed as well as a fine to be paid to the NFL. Plus, likely he will have to go to some sort of AA like classes for sexual misconduct and perhaps even have someone who monitors his behavior going forward for a set time period.

It would be idiotic to trade him at the start of the season. Just relax, drink a brew and let it simmer. That said I’m calling BS. whats HPD’s timeline?
A trade this year depends on what we could get imo. Almost daily I get updates that Eagles still want DW. No one knows how or when this will end. If a team decides at some point having DW for future is worth beating another team to him a huge offer could be made.

If Watson doesn't play 2021[with CEL being exception] team doesn't pay him his base which is all that team would owe in post June trade.

Example Eagles decide Watson will be either incarcerated or suspended for the season, they will pay him nothing but have him under contract for future. To beat out competing bidding teams they offer three 2022 round ones, Landon Dickerson and Devonta Smith.
I'm all over that.

A trade this year depends on what we could get imo. Almost daily I get updates that Eagles still want DW. No one knows how or when this will end. If a team decides at some point having DW for future is worth beating another team to him a huge offer could be made.

If Watson doesn't play 2021[with CEL being exception] team doesn't pay him his base which is all that team would owe in post June trade.

Example Eagles decide Watson will be either incarcerated or suspended for the season, they will pay him nothing but have him under contract for future. To beat out competing bidding teams they offer three 2022 round ones, Landon Dickerson and Devonta Smith.
I'm all over that.
I would be too but I just can’t get my hands around the Eagles trading three first rounders for him plus players. would you make that trade as the Eagles GM?

I would be too but I just can’t get my hands around the Eagles trading three first rounders for him plus players. would you make that trade as the Eagles GM?

The Eagles or any other team will be looking for a bargain discount for Watson at this point. Right not will not be the best time to trade dude. It will be best to wait until this legal stuff is resolved first.

From a football point only that plus if needed. My personal values would not allow me until I know more about claims.

I believe Philly, Carolina, Miami, Giants, Detroit and WFT perhaps others would make deal now if they knew DW not out more than one season and maybe a few games more.

Any trade "This Year" involving Watson depends upon his being cleared of any and all charges both civil and criminal.

Otherwise he's not doing anything football related other than sitting on the CEL or holding out.

Agreed, which is why I think he ends up writing a really big check to make this go away. Seems to be the way the rich and famous do business

Agreed, which is why I think he ends up writing a really big check to make this go away. Seems to be the way the rich and famous do business
But obviously that's the only reason this whole controversy is currently in our midst and is dragging out what seems to be endlessly, i.e. a shyster lawyer locked on a rich & famous target.

But obviously that's the only reason this whole controversy is currently in our midst and is dragging out what seems to be endlessly, i.e. a shyster lawyer locked on a rich & famous target.

Make no mistake, the only reason there's a controversy is the Pervert is a dumbazz. Also the courts are behind due to Covid and work at a very slow pace to begin with. They aren't going to speed up their processes. Now that criminal charges have been filed the time to pay off the Perverts accusers has passed.

Back