Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sexual Assault Suits Against Watson

When this is over, gasp, and the book comes out, on one hand Cal and even OB might be exonerated. On the other hand we might have to thank DW for sacrificing his career to help us get rid of OB. Or if DW is only fully exonerated we can trade his butt. So in the end everyone wins 🤔
Whose to know because one or more of those scenarios could eventually become the reality.

Little piece of information I came across recently:

There are 11 criminal cases pending against Watson.

At least two of those are felony cases claiming penetration of one sort or another.

The majority of these women are NOT represented by Buzbee. They didn't go the "civil route" looking for a settlement they went straight criminal.

At least two of those are felony cases claiming penetration of one sort or another.

The majority of these women are NOT represented by Buzbee. They didn't go the "civil route" looking for a settlement they went straight criminal.

Yeah its not looking good for Watson

Yep. That's my point. Even if Watson is guilty, the NFL will eventually crater and he'll be redeemed by some other NFL franchise.

I don't expect them to do anything but protect their entertainment brand. That's why I just laugh at their shallow moral righteousness. It's nothing but an empty gesture.

With those felony cases .... He may never get a second chance to play in the NFL , he could be 40 by the time he got out of prison on a single guilty verdict.

Well, I guess there goes the these women only want $$$$ defense some Hardin and some posters are putting out there as a narrative. Without the women who went civil, I seriously doubt these women's claims would've been taken seriously in the DA/LEO offices. Also pressure would've come down from the Mayor to not file charges. Buzbee in particular changed this city hall good ole boy way of doing business.

With those felony cases .... He may never get a second chance to play in the NFL , he could be 40 by the time he got out of prison on a single guilty verdict.

Yeah, you'd think so. If convicted of a felony, that changes things. This is Rusty's specialty, though, so I don't expect the same judicial system that would be applied to a 'common man'.

Our society historically has a very shallow way of looking the other way for entertainers. Unless there is overwhelming evidence and/or a confession, so much of this can be glossed over by a good marketing team.

Maybe the times really are changing, but I'll remain skeptical until confirmed. I don't have any faith in humanity, so I'll just wait and see when the dust settles.

Yeah, you'd think so. If convicted of a felony, that changes things. This is Rusty's specialty, though, so I don't expect the same judicial system that would be applied to a 'common man'.

Our society historically has a very shallow way of looking the other way for entertainers. Unless there is overwhelming evidence and/or a confession, so much of this can be glossed over by a good marketing team.

Maybe the times really are changing, but I'll remain skeptical until confirmed. I don't have any faith in humanity, so I'll just wait and see when the dust settles.

To the "confession" part ....

He has admitted sexual relations with these individuals .... claiming consent.

That line is kinda muddy .... as any coercion , manipulation or treat towards the victim and its curtains , "forced consent" isn't consent at all.
And from what I understand , he would use his status to do just that - made threats and coerced these individuals.
There were also , allegedly instances of physical force.

If he does get convicted, do the Texans have any chance for cap relief?

Yikes. Just a matter of time.

I was holding off posting the same until I tracked down a 2nd reliable source. The only difference from my source is that there are 12, with a 13th considering action.

The Houston Texans have become innocent bystanders in the saga of Deshaun Watson
To the surprise of nobody, the team’s situation with their star quarterback remains in limbo. Watson was a no show this week for the first OTAs with new coach David Culley. He reiterated his position of still wanting to be traded and his willingness to hold out/stay away just doubles down on that statement.

This bit of news fell on deaf ears with most media members who first said a trade was eminent but have now had to revisit their position. Some had said, in fact some insisted, that Watson’s earlier actions would leave the Texans no choice but to trade their best player. By doing nothing, the Texans have actually won the battle, if not the war, temporarily.

I really don’t think a trade is going to happen. In my opinion, I think Watson is doing the Texans a favor by not being there. He can no longer pressure the franchise to make a move because his status is in limbo legally. There are too many unknowns for a team to pull the trigger on any kind of a trade with the Texans and for that reason, there is no pressure on first year GM Nick Caserio to do anything but continue to put together his team as best he can. From Day 1 after taking this job, he has had no reason to do anything but put Watson on the shelf and attempt to move ahead.

All decisions with regard to his status are being made by others, legally by lawyers and court actions and internally by Park Avenue and the NFL league office. The league has launched an ongoing investigation that runs parallel to the authorities in Houston. The NFL office has no reason to make any ruling until Watson’s legal case plays out.

That being said, Caserio has also been patient. He’s made no decisions for the Texans with regard to Watson. I actually think he’s done a solid job with his effort to re-tool his team. With the hand he was dealt, he did a nice job in the draft and he has continued turning over the roster with a “change is happening” message. Caserio realizes he has value in his QB asset and will not lose it. Given what we know so far, the Texans have the leverage in this situation. Using experience and instincts, I still think Watson plays for them or he plays nowhere at all.

The chances of Watson playing this year are very slim. As long as he continues to hold out, he will incur fines for missing OTAs, salary de-escalators and disappearing guarantees along with the biggest windfall of all, the prorated portion of his signing bonus and game checks for games missed. The signing bonus money could be collected if desired, but it’s always been a part of the big picture leverage in the Texans pocket. The dollars Watson is losing by holding out will add up fast and will all be cap-credits in due time for the Texans. The fact that authorities have now said that the 20-plus cases filed against him will not be heard until 2022 has made it tough for anyone to hit any button other than PAUSE.

So what happens if Watson walks through the door and says he’s ready to play? Hummmm. Food for thought. If he is not ‘“out” of camp under his own volition and shows up ready to play for training camp, then the league might be forced to make a decision. If not, the team will have to pay Watson and welcome him back which from a football standpoint is good but obviously poses other challenges. Would they want him around with all of his legal issues still yet to play out or would the league suspend him?

Watson’s off-the-field situation could warrant a suspension for conduct “unbecoming” or “detrimental” or just a breech depending on language in his contract. This may be accompanied by loss of income as well, but that decision would almost certainly be challenged in arbitration by one side or the other. And consider what would happen if Watson were to show up and mysteriously tweak his back? The Texans would then have a real mess on their hands. We saw this play out last year in a few training camps, otherwise known as the newest of plays by disgruntled players, A HOLD-IN.

Randy Mueller is a former NFL Executive of the Year with over 30 years in the business. He was GM for the Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, and Miami Dolphins.

Well, I guess there goes the these women only want $$$$ defense some Hardin and some posters are putting out there as a narrative. Without the women who went civil, I seriously doubt these women's claims would've been taken seriously in the DA/LEO offices. Also pressure would've come down from the Mayor to not file charges. Buzbee in particular changed this city hall good ole boy way of doing business.
Cough up that coin son if you want to ever play again.
Time to settle up.

With 11-13 women filing criminal complaints that ship may have passed.
Probably. However, there is still a possibility he could buy his way out. And man, it’s gonna be expensive if that’s an option. I’m amazed he went this route. I’ve never seen a guy get such absolutely terrible advice. The fact he even went this way seriously calls into question him as a person. How he thought this was the right path is stunning.

Probably. However, there is still a possibility he could buy his way out. And man, it’s gonna be expensive if that’s an option. I’m amazed he went this route. I’ve never seen a guy get such absolutely terrible advice. The fact he even went this way seriously calls into question him as a person. How he thought this was the right path is stunning.

Yeah and to top that off, he’s still acting like the Texans messed over him.

Yeah and to top that off, he’s still acting like the Texans messed over him.
It’s really pathetic. Also his agent is a full blown moron. He did nothing but assist in destroying his career, although Watson was stupid enough to accept advice from him which is wholly on him.
Im also amazed Hardin didn’t just settle although like Steel said, that may have never even been an option.

I do also wonder just what everyone on his team actually knew and if Watson ever really came clean about everything. From what I can now see of this kid he’s extremely immature and hid it well coupled with a clear, weird “serial” perversion that he also kept quiet.
I just wonder if he simply didn’t tell everyone everything, out of embarrassment and only when lawsuits were flying in and he was confronted about them did he have to face Hardin and admit to it, all the while handcuffing his lawyers.

Member of legal team suing Deshaun Watson reached out to discuss 'working things out' (espn.com)

HOUSTON -- A member of the team representing the women suing Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson recently reached out to Watson's legal team to discuss the case, according to text messages and a recording reviewed by ESPN.

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, Watson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, suggested Tony Buzbee, the attorney for the 22 women who have filed civil lawsuits against Watson, has attempted to settle the case on several occasions.
That was from almost 3 weeks ago and if true I could see Harden telling Watson that he would handle any criminal complaints as he has for others. DW may feel all he has to do is wait. If the civil claims are resolved and Hardin believes he can win the criminal, NFL response could be 8 games but appealed to 4 to 6.

Takes me back to this April piece where Hardin calls himself an "Idiot"..........certainly a poor choice of words to his public........along with some other poor choices:

Sports Illustrated
Deshaun Watson's Lawyer Calling Himself an Idiot Can't Be a Good Sign
In this weekend's Hot Clicks: Rusty Hardin says he is "an idiot about modern communication," whatever happened 'Sports Jeopardy!' and more.
Andrew DoughtyApr 10, 2021

Rusty Hardin Is an Idiot
His words, not mine.

“Millennials live on Instagram. Those of you who are millennials know that. Those of you who are not have probably discovered it long before I,” Hardin said during a press conference on Friday. “They do business on it. Deshaun lives on Instagram. He does business transactions on Instagram. Other people do. I’m discovering a much more prevalent use of it than I had any idea. I’m not on Instagram. I don’t do Twitter. I’m not on Facebook. I am an idiot about modern communications. But what I’ve learned is everyone else is not.”

During a press conference in which he is discussing a case that includes a lot of “modern communications,” the defendant’s lawyer tells everyone he’s an idiot with “modern communications.”
link

Takes me back to this April piece where Hardin calls himself an "Idiot"..........certainly a poor choice of words to his public........along with some other poor choices:

Sports Illustrated
In this weekend's Hot Clicks: Rusty Hardin says he is "an idiot about modern communication," whatever happened 'Sports Jeopardy!' and more.

Rusty Hardin Is an Idiot
His words, not mine.

“Millennials live on Instagram. Those of you who are millennials know that. Those of you who are not have probably discovered it long before I,” Hardin said during a press conference on Friday. “They do business on it. Deshaun lives on Instagram. He does business transactions on Instagram. Other people do. I’m discovering a much more prevalent use of it than I had any idea. I’m not on Instagram. I don’t do Twitter. I’m not on Facebook. I am an idiot about modern communications. But what I’ve learned is everyone else is not.”

During a press conference in which he is discussing a case that includes a lot of “modern communications,” the defendant’s lawyer tells everyone he’s an idiot with “modern communications.”
link
To be fair. How many posters in this thread are on IG, Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites for hours and hours like millennials? How many are conducting the majority of their business on their phones?

I’m not surprised that Hardin would be surprised how much a 25 year old is using his phone. I bet he is wondering what happened to simply picking up the phone and calling someone.

Last edited:
To be fair. How many posters in this thread are on IG, Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites for hours and hours like millennials? How many are conducting the majority of their business on their phones?

I’m not surprised that Harden would be surprised how much a 25 year old is using his phone. I bet he is wondering what happened to simply picking up the phone and calling someone.
My smart phone is smarter than I.

Answering for myself that is. Zero. None. 00

That was from almost 3 weeks ago and if true I could see Harden telling Watson that he would handle any criminal complaints as he has for others. DW may feel all he has to do is wait. If the civil claims are resolved and Hardin believes he can win the criminal, NFL response could be 8 games but appealed to 4 to 6.
I somehow missed that news. I agree with everything else you wrote.

Sports Illustrated

Rusty Hardin Is an Idiot
His words, not mine.

link
He did not say he is a total idiot. He said he was an idiot when it comes to "modern communications." Hardly a bad sign imo. It is unlikely that it is a factor in this case. Rusty Hardin can surround himself with plenty of people on the up & up in regards to social media.

They won’t be resolved before then. His name was way out there since 2019 for doing this stuff. And those criminal charges if filed can take a while

I’m not surprised that Harden would be surprised how much a 25 year old is using his phone. I bet he is wondering what happened to simply picking up the phone and calling someone.
I hardly spend any effort on social media except some on Twitter in order to stay up with sports news (I have never used those media to respond. With my general abhorrence of these substitute modes of communication, my life and the lives of those around me are not negatively affected by my insistence on direct communication. Evidently, Hardin's personal "ignorance" of these modes of communication has delayed effective timely response, and thus the same with his defense of Watson's.

He did not say he is a total idiot. He said he was an idiot when it comes to "modern communications." Hardly a bad sign imo. It is unlikely that it is a factor in this case. Rusty Hardin can surround himself with plenty of people on the up & up in regards to social media.
With the "idiot" response, Hardin acknowledged his ignorance has affected/delayed his defendant's case. The "boss" attorney leads. Therefore any delayed response (to the media or otherwise) due to having to rely on the secondary corrective action on the part of an underling can and usually is critical to a case.

I hardly spend any effort on social media except some on Twitter in order to stay up with sports news (I have never used those media to respond. With my general abhorrence of these substitute modes of communication, my life and the lives of those around me are not negatively affected by my insistence on direct communication. Evidently, Hardin's personal "ignorance" of these modes of communication has delayed effective timely response, and thus the same with his defense of Watson's.

With the "idiot" response, Hardin acknowledged his ignorance has affected/delayed his defendant's case. The "boss" attorney leads. Therefore any delayed response (to the media or otherwise) due to having to rely on the secondary corrective action on the part of an underling can and usually is critical to a case.
Fair enough. Thanks for putting it in a perspective I haven't thought of.

Seems to me Hardin knows he's got a losing case and is setting up a path to an appeal.

Also how truthful has Watson been with Hardin. That is also crucial
Yeah.
That’s my 1st thought with how this has all played out up to today.
It seems Watson just hast been up front with Hardin and that has really hurt Watson, and now these are snowballing from civil to criminal.
I think Hardin now ultimately sees this as his way to taking huge sums of money from a very stupid kid who shot himself in the foot and Hardin can simply point to that dishonesty as his reasoning to why this went so bad and has now turned even worse.

Hardin can just simply say,
“You did this to yourself, kid.
I specifically told you to tell me everything and you didn’t and now I’ve got damage control and it’s gonna cost you.“

They won’t be resolved before then. His name was way out there since 2019 for doing this stuff. And those criminal charges if filed can take a while
Can but do not have to. You and others on both sides are just locked into the way you think things should go. I respect all of your views but have my own which is wait-and-see with optimism. And like you said if filed..

Last edited:

That's because he is a big effin moron without any kind of moral compass. Sometimes people that are that full of themselves think they are untouchable. Sounds like what might have went on here.

If he does get convicted, do the Texans have any chance for cap relief?
Yes , they should eventually get some cap relief .... its a matter of time.

They could void the entire extension as it is .... but they are holding out hope of getting draft compensation. I wonder if that's a fools errand.

Goodell hasn't put him on the CEL because it harms the Texans and gives Watson what he wants - getting paid and not playing for the Texans - when the whole issue is Watson's fault - the team is an innocent bystander, I don't think he will do that unless Watson shows up in camp. Him showing up is a real possibility because it forces Goodell's hand .... knowing the league doesn't want him on the field until / IF he clears himself of the pending criminal charges.

All of this was caused by Watson's actions including his wanting out of Houston because they weren't "Loyal" to him .... He expected the team to take his side no matter what and they just cannot do that with these allegations. They have to take the side of what's right .... and from all appearances , Watson aint on the right side of this.

If what I've been told of the description of these events is factual .... I don't care about draft compensation , I hope the guy never plays another down and spends the next couple decades in behind bars.

Goodell hasn't put him on the CEL because it harms the Texans and gives Watson what he wants - getting paid and not playing for the Texans
My question is, why does the CEL still allow you to get paid? I assume it’s something in the CBA, but man, that just makes no sense. You do something that basically gets you banned from the league, but you still get paid?

Worth reading in entirety.

*****************************************************************************************

NFL players accused of violent crimes rarely get suspended, Hearst analysis shows

Alex Stuckey, Staff writer
June 3, 2021Updated: June 3, 2021 1:16 p.m.

Ray McDonald was playing for the San Francisco 49ers in August 2014 when he was arrested for allegedly assaulting his pregnant fiance.

Charges were never filed. He never missed a game.

Four months later, in December 2014, McDonald became a suspect in a sexual assault case. The 49ers cut him from the team, but the NFL did not take action.

The Chicago Bears signed McDonald three months later, in March 2015. The rape charges were dismissed in 2017 after the victim declined to testify.

In May 2015, McDonald was in trouble yet again. He was arrested after allegedly assaulting his ex-fiancee in California while she was holding their infant son. A grand jury declined to indict him on the domestic violence charge.

The Bears cut him from the team. The NFL has not taken action, and McDonald has not played since.

Cases such as McDonald’s illustrate the NFL’s inconsistent punishment system for players accused of sexual and domestic violence, experts in sports and violence culture say: As long as a player is good and making a team money, they will receive some modicum of protection.

The league took steps to improve its domestic and sexual violence education — and strengthen its punishment policy — after Baltimore Ravens’ Ray Rice in 2014 knocked his then-fiancee unconscious in an elevator in Atlantic City. Now, the league’s baseline is a six-game suspension for the first violent — or threat of violence — offense and a lifetime ban for the second. The player does not have to be charged or convicted of a crime to receive this punishment.

It is very difficult to track how many NFL players are accused of violent offenses and whether they faced punishment by their teams or the league. The NFL does not maintain a public database of its disciplinary actions.

However, using a USA Today database supplemented by Hearst reporting, the newspaper found nearly 80 instances in which players had been accused of, cited, arrested or charged with violent offenses since January 2015, after the NFL revised its policy.

Only 27 of the 68 players examined by the Hearst received an NFL suspension, and often the punishments doled out were inconsistent. At least nine players from 2015 to present were repeatedly accused, arrested or charged with a violent crime, often before receiving any sanctions from the league.

About 32 percent of those nearly 80 instances resulted in punishment through the criminal justice system. In the instances they were not, cases are still ongoing, the players were acquitted or the charges were dropped. Some accusations were not reported to police or the alleged victims recanted their stories or declined to proceed.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited:
My question is, why does the CEL still allow you to get paid? I assume it’s something in the CBA, but man, that just makes no sense. You do something that basically gets you banned from the league, but you still get paid?

It protects the player and the team during litigation .... If the player is found to have broken the leagues conduct policy / violated the terms of the contract he can be forced to repay that money he "earned" while on the CEL..

Back