Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett

The jury is still out, but a promising start for sure.
To me, the most encouraging sign was that Mallett seemed very much in control of the offense.He did quite a bit of re-positioning guys after his pre-snap reads. Moving WR and TE to widen or narrow their splits, moving RB from one side to the other to adjust protections. He seemed to have a very good idea of what he wanted on virtually ever play.
I'm not sure how he will progress, but I am confident of one thing. If he doesn't succeed as an NFL QB, it won't be for lack of knowing the offense, or lacking the confidence to run it.

This was my overall take away as well...he showed poise and control. Nothing said that more than the 2 minute drill before the half. He really seemed to know what he was doing. If he continues to show that, i think he/we will be alright.

This was my overall take away as well...he showed poise and control. Nothing said that more than the 2 minute drill before the half. He really seemed to know what he was doing. If he continues to show that, i think he/we will be alright.

He has picked up some valuable exp by watching Brady play so it is not like you throwing a GD rookie in there,like it.

I'm sure OB will be asked a few times today. I'm curious to see what his answer is. He can't, I think, say that Mallet wasn't ready. There was such a night & day difference between the way the offense was ran... the tempo was huge & OB's been saying we need to get that tempo going. Just a little bit of that would have helped tremendously just three games ago & the team would be gelling a lot better now.

Sure he can..don't see why anyone can say the bolded. Mallet playing well yesterday might've had everything to do with BoB giving him time to reassimilate to the offense & not immediately throwing him in the fire having had no chemistry with the WR's.

This. It wasn't cocky swagger. He seemed confident and in control. Like he belonged there, not like he was auditioning. These next six games are going to be very interesting.

This is how I feel. I'm not sure how Mallett will pan out. Heck, I've even been critical of him. I do know this, this offense ran as smooth and clean as it has all season. It was an offense that actually entertained me a few times throughout the game, which hadn't happened all year.

Was it Mallett? Oline gelling during the bye? I don't know, but hopefully it'll continue to grow

See: this is what gets me, posters being positive or critical of Mallett, when he had never really played in an NFL game. In this situation I always tend to look at the positive side of things.

I also don't understand how after Mallett plays the best game a QB has played here in a couple of yrs MB posters (Looking at you 76) are breaking down things like Mallett's throwing motion.

The Texans finally got above avg QB play and a big win on the road against a division leader. For gods sake people enjoy the win and lets hope Mallett takes the team on a victory tour for the rest of the season. Enjoy the ride.

See: this is what gets me, posters being positive or critical of Mallett, when he had never really played in an NFL game. In this situation I always tend to look at the positive side of things.

I also don't understand how after Mallett plays the best game a QB has played here in a couple of yrs MB posters (Looking at you 76) are breaking down things like Mallett's throwing motion.

The Texans finally got above avg QB play and a big win on the road against a division leader. For gods sake people enjoy the win and lets hope Mallett takes the team on a victory tour for the rest of the season. Enjoy the ride.

above average qb play? No. Competent qb play? yes.

Watch AJ numbers pick up in the 2nd half. This talk of him being done is premature.

AJ's not done by a long stretch. He had the biggest catch of the game on that 4th down catch. Whether AJ's going to be worth 16 mil next season is a question for another thread.

Sure he can..don't see why anyone can say the bolded. Mallet playing well yesterday might've had everything to do with BoB giving him time to reassimilate to the offense & not immediately throwing him in the fire having had no chemistry with the WR's.

Like the rest of that post says, it doesn't hold water. We got nothing from the QB position but a couple of scrambles. It's not like Fitzpatrick was ready.

I agree, he might not have looked as good as he did yesterday. But we're talking about games that Arian Foster was beasting. Run on first & second, throw on third & long. Playing Fitzpatrick doesn't help Mallett gain chemistry with the WRs.

signed,

Woodrow Dantzler
Tim Tebow
Matt Cassell

and every other qb that has sat behind Brady the last 10 years.

Matt Cassel is the only one we saw before he left New England & in that same system after he left New England. When Charlie Weisz was the OC for KC in 2010 (I think) Cassel looked like a franchise QB.

It's the system. Just like Kubiak's system. Put decent talent in their & you can be productive. Put a special player in it (Arian Foster:Tom Brady) & you can win championships.

I'm not saying that Mallett is special, or that he can win Championships. But I believe, just based off the little bit we saw, that he can be as productive as Matt Schaub ever was. & his competitiveness has me very excited & optimistic that he will be much better than Schaub.

Like the rest of that post says, it doesn't hold water. We got nothing from the QB position but a couple of scrambles. It's not like Fitzpatrick was ready.

I agree, he might not have looked as good as he did yesterday. But we're talking about games that Arian Foster was beasting. Run on first & second, throw on third & long. Playing Fitzpatrick doesn't help Mallett gain chemistry with the WRs.

This. I think OB didn't know what he had in Mallett but just went with the veteran in Fitz because it seemed like it was the right thing to do.
Yeah, he has more games to go, but I like what I saw yesterday.

Right..but hindsight's a funny thing. Lets not act like things would've been dramatically different with Mallett either. His stat line doesn't look too different from what Fitz was putting up.

Mallet looked pretty good yesterday...but he also had 2 weeks to prep for Cleveland and another 6-7 weeks to get up to speed with this team and offense. Best believe that made a huge difference. He wouldn't have been afforded any of that if he starts from day 1.

above average qb play? No. Competent qb play? yes.

It's just one game, but since you labeled that limited sample size as merely competent... a 67% completion rate on 30 attempts (Top 5), a 2:1 TD/INT ratio (Top 15) and a 95% rating (Top 10) definitely puts him above the average in the NFL this season. The only stat that wasn't above the median was YPA where he would have been around #20. He distributed the ball to six different receivers. He didn't take a sack.

also Mallett knew this offense over anybody else on this offense its as if Bill o brien was getting the rest of the offense up to scratch before putting Mallett
Hence why we saw Mallett setting protections atleast that's what it looked like since the browns barely got to Mallett

edit: also going against those defensive backs who have been good this season

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

Mallett put up a top 15 QB performance. IMHO Which is above avg.

15 is the definition of average in a 30 team league. You also have to factor in that Rothlisberger hasn't played and Peyton Manning had an atypical Manning day. He showed competence which is really all we could've asked for from a guy making his 1st start.

It's just one game, but since you labeled that limited sample size as merely competent... a 67% completion rate on 30 attempts (Top 5), a 2:1 TD/INT ratio (Top 15) and a 95% rating (Top 10) definitely puts him above the average in the NFL this season. The only stat that wasn't above the median was YPA where he would have been around #20. He distributed the ball to six different receivers. He didn't take a sack.

He also helped Blue have a good game. Those long passes he completed helped set up the running game. Mallett already won a game without Foster , at least he has that going for him.

If Foster was in there yesterday, the Texans would have probably scored more touchdowns.

15 is the definition of average in a 30 team league. You also have to factor in that Rothlisberger hasn't played and Peyton Manning had an atypical Manning day. He showed competence which is really all we could've asked for from a guy making his 1st start.

NFL has 32 teams...

You guys move the goalposts so much you forget where it truly belongs

If Schaub or Fitz put up these same numbers you wouldn't be calling it an above average performance.

This was his first game in the NFL and already put the same stats as a 10 year vet. He still has more games to go, but he played very well and seemed poised out there, something I didn't see Fitz do in 9 games.
I'm drinking the Kool-aid :koolaid:

You guys move the goalposts so much you forget where it truly belongs

If Schaub or Fitz put up these same numbers you wouldn't be calling it an above average performance.

Which numbers are you having a problem with? Completion percentage? QB rating? 2 TD's? No sacks?

Or are you stuck on 211 yards when the Texans ran for 213? He had 30 attempts. He threw down the field multiple times. It's not like they were going exclusively with the ground game to avoid him having to throw the ball. He was in complete control of that offense.

Let's not get too cocky just yet. Part of the reason he did well against the browns was the fact that they had NO film on the guy. He was the great unknown. He did well, but Philly will be better prepped for him.

Let's not get too cocky just yet. Part of the reason he did well against the browns was the fact that they had NO film on the guy. He was the great unknown. He did well, but Philly will be better prepped for him.

We already played Philly. You mean the Bengals.

Which numbers are you having a problem with? Completion percentage? QB rating? 2 TD's? No sacks?

Or are you stuck on 211 yards when the Texans ran for 213? He had 30 attempts. He threw down the field multiple times. It's not like they were going exclusively with the ground game to avoid him having to throw the ball. He was in complete control of that offense.

. Its clear that BoB wants to control the clock and run the ball regardless of who's under center. Everyone assumed that his conservative playcalling was that way b/c of his distrust of Fitz and his noodle arm. A franchise record for rushing attempts yesterday says differently. Most of Mallet's completions were short and outside the numbers (like Fitz) and he also only hit on 1 of those "multiple" down field throws you're speaking of. Again, that's not much better than what Fitz was doing. Where the kid flourished was in control of the offense and limiting his mistakes...which makes him better than Fitz, but doesn't make his total performance above average...

I'm cautiously optimistic about his progression from here on out, but lets back away from the :koolaid: a bit here. Save for him being a true rookie in his 1st start ever, his performance was nothing to write home about..Except to houston fans.

. Its clear that BoB wants to control the clock and run the ball regardless of who's under center. Everyone assumed that his conservative playcalling was that way b/c of his distrust of Fitz and his noodle arm. A franchise record for rushing attempts yesterday says differently. Most of Mallet's completions were short and outside the numbers (like Fitz) and he also only hit on 1 of those "multiple" down field throws you're speaking of. Again, that's not much better than what Fitz was doing. Where the kid flourished was in control of the offense and limiting his mistakes...which makes him better than Fitz, but doesn't make his total performance above average...

I'm cautiously optimistic about his progression from here on out, but lets back away from the :koolaid: a bit here. Save for him being a true rookie in his 1st start ever, his performance was nothing to write home about..Except to houston fans.

The problem with discounting the "Save for him being a true rookie in his 1st start ever" part is because that is exactly why fans can get excited about his future.

But I'm a well-known sunshine pumper around here. :)

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

Mallett put up a top 15 QB performance. IMHO Which is above avg.

His QBR was top-3 for the QBs who played so far this week.

of course, so was Fitzpatrick's in our 2nd game of the season but there is a little bit of a difference between the Raiders and the Browns.

Personally, what I saw out there yesterday was EXACTLY what I expected to see and exactly what I said was going to happen prior to the game.

Mallett knows this offense better than Fitzpatrick. He made quicker decisions, got the ball out of his hand much sooner, got our line into the right protections, all of which made the OL look tons better.

He also pushed the ball down the field as well as fitting the ball into tighter windows because of his stronger arm.

The one thing I hadn't considered is how his play was going to open up the running game by making the Browns open up the box. I never expected that day from Blue and I think with Fitzy, we wouldn't have gotten it.

The problem with discounting the "Save for him being a true rookie in his 1st start ever" part is because that is exactly why fans can get excited about his future.

But I'm a well-known sunshine pumper around here. :)

My rule is about 4 games for most guys giving them a few games depending on thier situation (rookie, bad coaching/ talent around them)....but with guys like him who have been in the league for a few years, that's a hard and fast rule for me. If he's truly as good as we all hope him to be he should progress quickly and we should know what we have after about 4 games.

The good news is his numbers are comparable to Rodgers' back in 08 when he made his 1st start. Rodgers didn't look back either having only 2 really bad games the rest of the year.

..... Yes, there were some throws that could have gone bad for Mallett (including the Graham TD -- thank you, refs) and things could have turned out different. Yes, Mallett has things to work on and things he can improve.....

Good observation. The linebacker was breaking on the ball when he hit the ref, otherwise, probable interception.
Mallet never saw him, being laser focused on Graham.

Happened again later in the game when a Browns lineman dropped into coverage. Mallet laser focused on his receiver, never saw him. Ball hit the lineman in the hands.

So, Mallet was great, yes, and things to work on.

The jury is still out, but a promising start for sure.
To me, the most encouraging sign was that Mallett seemed very much in control of the offense.
He did quite a bit of re-positioning guys after his pre-snap reads. Moving WR and TE to widen or narrow their splits, moving RB from one side to the other to adjust protections. He seemed to have a very good idea of what he wanted on virtually ever play.
I'm not sure how he will progress, but I am confident of one thing. If he doesn't succeed as an NFL QB, it won't be for lack of knowing the offense, or lacking the confidence to run it.

Well said, man. I like his obvious command of the offense both in terms of obviously being comfortable as a leader and the reception his offense gave him as their new leader.

He did not look rattled at all during any part of the game. Even after the INT, which took a potential FG off the board, he looked determined more than anything else. I never saw a "wtf?" look on his face, but rather he was talking to his teammates and getting ready for the next possession.

Even little details like pausing during a snap count when two players went in motion impressed me. He stepped up and told Meyers to reset the count, waited for his offense to set, and then got the snap. That kind of attention to small details makes a big difference.

He looked like he was having fun out there, and I think that attitude is infectious. You can tell by the interviews with other players that they are excited about him being out there.

The jury is still out, of course, but I'll say it right here that I feel like the Texans have their QB. This guy and O'Brien have history. This is the guy our HC wanted, coached him in the same system as a rookie, and he got a 3 year learning experience from one of the greatest QBs and head coaches that can never been underestimated as it pertains to development.

I'm excited about the Texans future for the first time in a long time. If that's drinking koolaid, so be it. Pour me another cup! :koolaid:

I liked what I saw Sunday out of Mallett but seriously, it's like some of you have learned nothing from the Keenum debacle. Hold your horses.

Yes but Keenum was doing it by scrambling and slinging it down the field, this guy did it all in the pocket and looked damn good doing it.

I will say i think he has the best skill set as a pocket passer as the texans have ever had.

I liked what I saw Sunday out of Mallett but seriously, it's like some of you have learned nothing from the Keenum debacle. Hold your horses.

World of difference between Keenum and Mallet, and world of difference between their situations.

Mallet was projected as a first round talent but fell because of off-field issues.

Keenum went undrafted for a reason. I like the kid, but nobody expected anything out of him.

Keenum entered his first game with a HC that did not prep him and did not appear to have full command of the offense.

Mallet, on the other hand, has both the full support of his HC and has been studying this offense for over three years behind a HoF QB.

Honestly, no problem to agree to disagree, but IMO, there is nothing to learn from Keenum last year other than Keenum is not an NFL-caliber QB.

I was impressed myself. Yes, he wasn't perfect for sure. A few times he was staring down receivers. A small handful of throws were a little off target, red zone efficiency needs to be better, and he might have benefited from a bit of luck a couple of times...

But all in all I was really happy with his performance. REALLY happy. He was poised, had total command of the offense, seemed to make good reads, and I really liked the up tempo they ran many times which was a new wrinkle.

You could also see the arm talent at times. The ball really zips out of his hand, with a tight spiral, and he truly can make all the throws. Teams will have to defend the Texans differently now. Also at 6' 6" he really can see over the line and tipped balls should go down quite a bit.

To say it was adequate or average or competent I think undersells his performance especially when grading on a curve. This was the guy's first start ever in the cold and hostile environment of Cleveland against a first place team. I would have labeled that as better than competent if it was a 10 yr established vet myself, but considering the circumstances, that was darn good. Great? Eh, maybe not great, but very good.

The most important stat - he won the game. Keenum couldn't manage a single win. Mallet is 1-0.

And the fact is that Blue benefited from Mallet's presence in multiple ways. Blue doesn't rip off 160 yds with Fitz under center imo. It will be interesting to see a guy like Foster play with Mallet.

I'm not ready to sign him to a long term contract and call him "The Answer". Clearly, we need to see him play a few more games. Guys have had very good games and then leveled off or cratered. But call me intrigued, and the Texans brass has to be intrigued as well.

On to Cinci. Let's see if he can continue to grow as a player and bring home a win against a hot team that just ran over N.O. in the Big Easy.

Right now, I'm drinking the Mallett Koolaid... :koolaid:

From what I can tell, the Keenum kool-aid was based mainly on the location of his college, while Mallett's is based on the pedigree of learning under the Patriots.

The playing styles are quite different too, of course.

Right..but hindsight's a funny thing. Lets not act like things would've been dramatically different with Mallett either. His stat line doesn't look too different from what Fitz was putting up.

I'm not. I'm thinking we should have made the change after the Indy game. Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Philly. I'm betting we still would have won Tennessee & maybe Philly.

But as far as stat line goes, I don't think (& I've been saying) the difference is in the stats. It was the tempo & the propensity to throw the ball further than 10 yards.

bobgif2_zps0f4b12d8.gif

Is Da Mullet the answer? Time will tell, we need a few more games. The only thing we know right now for sure, is he's the best QB we have on the team.

World of difference between Keenum and Mallet, and world of difference between their situations.

Mallet was projected as a first round talent but fell because of off-field issues.

Keenum went undrafted for a reason. I like the kid, but nobody expected anything out of him.

Keenum entered his first game with a HC that did not prep him and did not appear to have full command of the offense.

Mallet, on the other hand, has both the full support of his HC and has been studying this offense for over three years behind a HoF QB.

Honestly, no problem to agree to disagree, but IMO, there is nothing to learn from Keenum last year other than Keenum is not an NFL-caliber QB.

Totally agree, and I wanted so bad for Keenum to be the guy (UH Alum here). Case only had a couple tricks up his sleeve mostly in the long ball and scrambling, but once blitzed could not find a hot read to save his life. I saw Mallet throw deep, sideline routes, hot reads, play actions and seeming do a good job of directing traffic all in yesterdays game. I'm not anointing him yet, but his in game IQ (in this small sample) shows much better than anyone since 3 years ago Schaub on this roster.

Totally agree, and I wanted so bad for Keenum to be the guy (UH Alum here). Case only had a couple tricks up his sleeve mostly in the long ball and scrambling, but once blitzed could not find a hot read to save his life. I saw Mallet throw deep, sideline routes, hot reads, play actions and seeming do a good job of directing traffic all in yesterdays game. I'm not anointing him yet, but his in game IQ (in this small sample) shows much better than anyone since 3 years ago Schaub on this roster.

Yep. I wanted Keenum to be successful, too. It would have been a great story. (And I'm a UH Alum, too.)

But Mallett looked like the real deal out there because of his command of the offense which is something Keenum never really showed.

Lol well y'all can't blame me for being wary about any QB this team puts on the field. I have the same hopes as all of you, but I'm still cautious.

I agree that Mallett knowing the offense is a big + in his favor, but I need more than one game to anoint him. He's most likely the best QB on the roster, though, and should start the rest of the season.

Like a lot of folks, I wanted Keenum to have success for the obvious reason as a Texans fan, but also the whole story of Kubiak and Wade having Houston roots and having this kid from UH take us to the promised land.

But those kind of 'fairy tale' stories are never Houston football stories. Maybe our basketball team, but certainly not football. I can sense the football gods waving their index finger at us fans like JJ Watt after he bats down a pass.

"No feel good story for you, H-town!!"

And I don't want to go off the deep end and annoint Mallet, but I gotta' be honest here; it just feels too good to let a little light of optimism into this dank Houston fan's cave. Plus, I'm thirsty down here, so a little sip of koolaid tastes oh so freaking good! ;)

Lol well y'all can't blame me for being wary about any QB this team puts on the field. I have the same hopes as all of you, but I'm still cautious.

I agree that Mallett knowing the offense is a big + in his favor, but I need more than one game to anoint him. He's most likely the best QB on the roster, though, and should start the rest of the season.

I can't blame you at all, man. I certainly have the tendencies to share your skepticism.

Maybe it's a pendulum swing after 2013 and seeing Fitz out there for 9 games that makes us gravitate toward any QB that shows an inkling of promise.

My gut feeling, though, is that Mallett is going to be given the keys to the car and it's his job to lose at this point. So much of his story gives me optimism about his future with the Texans, from the HC's history with him as a rookie, to knowing this offense and studying how to be a pro under Tom Brady, to his obvious maturity growth that he just exudes confidence like this is his destiny or something crazy.

While yesterday was not an all-pro performance, it is exactly what I had hoped for when they got him from NE and announce that he was starting against the Browns. Even the players seem like they are excited about him, and to me, that says more than anything else.

This is how I feel. I'm not sure how Mallett will pan out. Heck, I've even been critical of him. I do know this, this offense ran as smooth and clean as it has all season. It was an offense that actually entertained me a few times throughout the game, which hadn't happened all year.

Was it Mallett? Oline gelling during the bye? I don't know, but hopefully it'll continue to grow

Oh come on bro. Get off that fence. :kitten:

MSR

Mallet looked pretty good yesterday...but he also had 2 weeks to prep for Cleveland and another 6-7 weeks to get up to speed with this team and offense. Best believe that made a huge difference. He wouldn't have been afforded any of that if he starts from day 1.

Stats are not all that matters. His passing yards are irrelevant, especially with how easily we were killing them with the run. Should we pass just to prove Mallett can pass? No, you keep doing what they cannot stop. Brady yesterday checked out of a play just before the half getting greedy and it cost him. Manning the same thing. Mallet did exactly what he needed to do.

Indeed!

His QBR was top-3 for the QBs who played so far this week.

of course, so was Fitzpatrick's in our 2nd game of the season but there is a little bit of a difference between the Raiders and the Browns.

Well at least 6 wins difference. Must suck though to go from first to last in your division in just one game. Glad we are not playing in that division. lol Sucks to be a Browns fan today.

From what I can tell, the Keenum kool-aid was based mainly on the location of his college, while Mallett's is based on the pedigree of learning under the Patriots.

The playing styles are quite different too, of course.

Agreed!

For me, it was not just the zip on Mallett's passes that made the difference. More important was his anticipation. As soon as those players running short routes turned their head around the ball was there. That was not happening with Fitz. He always held on to the ball to long and rarely anticipated his throws. Mainly because he lacks the arm strength Mallett possess.

Yea it's only one game, but he looked great considering the circumstances. No question at all he understands the system and reads the D than Fitz could ever hope to. I may have to reconsider my 8-8 prediction with Mallett under center. I can feel our first win in Indy just around the corner especially if Foster is 100% by then.

Pour me a few glasses. :koolaid: :good:

Back