Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

Here's an interesting question:

Would you have rather traded for Mallett or Garoppolo?
(if that had been an option)

Well if the Pats were willing to trade Garoppolo then he was a higher round draft pick who couldn't beat out a no experience backup and the Pats clearly saw nothing in him so he's crap, right?

Mallet. I had several QBs rated higher than Garoppolo, one of them being Tom Savage. I also may be a bit of a dinosaur as I tend to prefer the taller pocket passer to the athletic gunslinger.

You say "no team would" so convincingly I am sure you have examples of teams signing high dollar backup contracts to keep expiring rookie contract QBs?

Mallett had an interview back before the draft where he made pretty clear when it was time to sign his next contract he wanted a starting shot. Haven't heard a hint of a whisper about either the Texans or Patriots actually talking contract to him. But all this the Patriots could re-sign him if they want stuff is nonsense. He would be a fool to do it. It would be all but the end of his football career. Brady's going to play another 4+ years and then he'd be an 8 year backup with 20 NFL throws, dead in the water. Look to see this same saga play out with Garoppolo at the tail end of his rookie contract unless Brady is clearly on his way out.

NE's philosophy is to let a guy go 1-2 years too early rather than keep said player 1-2 too late. We just saw this with them trading Mankins away. They won't have near the same dilema when Garapolo's contract is about to end b/c they'll likely be ready to part ways with Brady regardless.

NE's philosophy is to let a guy go 1-2 years too early rather than keep said player 1-2 too late. We just saw this with them trading Mankins away. They won't have near the same dilema when Garapolo's contract is about to end b/c they'll likely be ready to part ways with Brady regardless.

So your saying Mallett is good for this season and maybe next?

Mallett. He spent three seasons getting coached by BB and watching Brady. Garoppolo wasn't a high enough tier talent to trade just based on rookie potential.

I'll believe that philosophy applies to Brady the day I see it happen. In this particular instance it especially is a no way in Hades of it happening before the end of this contract because the way they did it his cap hit is a bargain for a starter much less a GOAT.

It may not come up. Brady's contract ends the same year Garoppolo's does - after 2017. I believe it will hang on what Brady is saying about the future at that point.

So your saying Mallett is good for this season and maybe next?

That post had next to nothing to do with Mallet except in the context of how NE handles all their players. Meaning even if Mallet was thought to be at least a nice replacement for Brady (Brady is irreplaceable), they still likely wouldn't have tried to keep him b/c their philosophy is such that they don't overpay for players (Welker, Seymour, Moss) & they don't hang onto players that are clearly on the decline (Mankins, Bruschi, Harrison) or haven't proven anything.

They either:

-get rid of them while they still have a little in the tank b/c it maximizes the return they get back and it prevents contract issues.

- Offer them something that is team friendly and reasonable to the player - and they don't budge off that offer.

- Or they just flat out let them go.

I'll believe that philosophy applies to Brady the day I see it happen. In this particular instance it especially is a no way in Hades of it happening before the end of this contract because the way they did it his cap hit is a bargain for a starter much less a GOAT.

It may not come up. Brady's contract ends the same year Garoppolo's does - after 2017. I believe it will hang on what Brady is saying about the future at that point.

Yeah, definitely a tricky situation dealing with a GOAT level player, but i believe every sense his last contract, they've been preparing themselves for when they have to do that...Shades of the Montana and Young qb controversy.

Preseason stats mean nothing without watching the game. The coach has an expectation of each & he calls the game accordingly. If I were the coach, I would expect Mallet to know the play book much better than Garappolo & I would expect him to call & run the plays as designed. I would call a different game for Garoppolo.

I agree that preseason stats mean nothing, but it was clear to anyone who watched the Pats this preseason (which includes yours truly) that Garoppolo had more control of the offense than Mallett. He got the ball out quickly and accurately while Mallett held the ball and looked very hesitant with his reads.

Mallet would be told to stay in the pocket, go through his progressions before breaking the pocket to make something happen. Garoppolo would have no restrictions, may be one read, then go.

You can't possibly know this to be true and I'm positive that you're just making it up. Are you not familiar with Bill Belichick? Let his QB have no restrictions and then go? You do realize Mallett had twice as many rush yards as Garoppolo in the preseason right? He also rushed for one.

I would expect Garoppolo's numbers to be higher, because for him it doesn't matter if the receivers ran the wrong route, or if the protection wasn't called correctly. Mallet... if his receiver runs the wrong route, he's not supposed to throw the ball.

Again you are making assumptions.

I know this explanation won't make sense with most fans. Especially if they're Garoppolo fans. But there's no way Garoppolo knows the play book as well as Mallet. & just because one does "better" in the preseason than someone else, doesn't mean they are more talented..... Garoppolo is more talented than Brady, just because he's more athletic than Brady makes him more talented. But he's not a better QB, he's not more ready.

I am not saying that Mallet is better than Garoppolo, just saying you can't prove it one way or the other with preseason stats. If that were the case, then Zack Mettenberger is the most talented QB from this draft. & we know that's not true. If it doesn't hold water in Mettenberger's case, it doesn't prove anything in Garoppolo's.

I don't know whether Mallett knows the playbook better or not but that's not the issue. His issue is diagnosing and attacking coverages. That much has been very clear all the way back to college. If Garoppolo was confused then he just dumped the ball down, which is what a QB is supposed to do. When Mallett is confused he still pushes the ball to his 1st or 2nd option, which can result in turnovers.

I'm not saying Garoppolo is more talented than Mallett. I'm saying that, if you paid attention, he clearly won the competition for the backup QB job. He showed much more command of the offense, was more poised in the pocket, and was much more accurate.

I agree, Brady has shown no signs of slowing down. I dont see them cutting ties anytime soon.

You can't possibly know this to be true and I'm positive that you're just making it up. Are you not familiar with Bill Belichick? Let his QB have no restrictions and then go? You do realize Mallett had twice as many rush yards as Garoppolo in the preseason right? He also rushed for one.

Yes... before all that, I said "If I were..."

He showed much more command of the offense, was more poised in the pocket, and was much more accurate.

Agree to disagree. Even after watching them both in the preseason, all things being equal Mallet would be my #2, Garoppolo my #3. If Brady was out of the picture, I'm starting Mallet before Garoppolo.

Agree to disagree. Even after watching them both in the preseason, all things being equal Mallet would be my #2, Garoppolo my #3. If Brady was out of the picture, I'm starting Mallet before Garoppolo.

That's your prerogative, but for all of you to say that Garoppolo was handed the job because Mallett was halfway out the door is simply not true. He outplayed Mallett this preseason and it was perfectly reasonable for the Pats to select him as the backup because of it.

This thread has just reeked of guys hyping up Mallett because he's wearing a Texans jersey now.

That's your prerogative, but for all of you to say that Garoppolo was handed the job because Mallett was halfway out the door is simply not true. He outplayed Mallett this preseason and it was perfectly reasonable for the Pats to select him as the backup because of it.

This thread has just reeked of guys hyping up Mallett because he's wearing a Texans jersey now.

I don't think so. The Patriots chose to roll with Mallett for the last three years, they decided to let Hoyer go (pretty much the same situation) to keep Mallet. It's not necessarily that they thought Mallet was a stud & Hoyer was a dud...... it was just time for Hoyer to go.

Again, if we're going to say Garoppolo is better than Mallet because he "outplayed" him in the preseason, then we should be saying Zach Mettenberger was the best QB of this class.

That's preposterous...

& FYI, I've given up any hope that Mallet is the guy we want him to be (Unless OB surprises us & starts him against the Raiders)... I don't think OB thinks as much of him as "we" want to think.

But... I wouldn't have drafted Garoppolo before the Aj McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw, or Tom Savage. So I don't think he "outplayed" anyone, regardless how JonnyFootball he looked in the preseason.

The preseason still isn't a good barometer and i don't agree with the bolded. Mallett didn't play a whole lot except for in the 1st game against the skins. Now he did play poorly..but he mostly played against starters in that game too....Garapolo got in and lit it up in the 4th.....but he was playing against 3-4 stringers that probably aren't even on the roster anymore. That was pretty much the case every time he played. Also Mallet's few subsequent appearances after that he played well imo...its all relative.

Because Mallett didn't play much after that Skins game tells me that the game was rigged...The lions share of the reps went to Garapolo b/c the Pats wanted to give the kid every opportunity to show them what he could do so they could feel better about possibly letting go of Mallet and making him the 2nd qb.

Man...Garropollo looked really good this pre season...

If we had taken him and he played like that here, I think he'd be our starting QB...

But I want Mallett to start here as soon as he gets our version of the offense down.

You say "no team would" so convincingly I am sure you have examples of teams signing high dollar backup contracts to keep expiring rookie contract QBs?

I think you are missing my point. What I am saying is: no team is viewing him as a franchise QB but rather as a guy with Talent that hasn't shown he can be a real Player. There is a reason why he was cheaper than a guy like Blaine Gabbert.

Good backup QBs that other teams consider starting QBs usually net the Team some nice picks. Think about Schaub (two seconds), Alex Smith (2nd rounder), or even Matt Flynn, who got a nice contract as a FA netting the Packers at least a 5th rounder.

And to get back to your question: which team has let a franchise QB walk? Which team has let a legitimitate starting QB walk? Which team has ever traded a franchise QB for a 7th rounder? That just doesn't happen... and if it does it is like drafting Brady in the 6th.

But... I wouldn't have drafted Garoppolo before the Aj McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw, or Tom Savage. So I don't think he "outplayed" anyone, regardless how JonnyFootball he looked in the preseason.

This confuses me. He didn't outplay anyone because of what you thought about him pre-draft?

FWIW, I had Garoppolo as my 5th ranked QB behind Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, and Carr.

This thread has just reeked of guys hyping up Mallett because he's wearing a Texans jersey now

BOOM goes the dynamite.

Garopollo was drafted because Brady continues to assert that he is going to play until he sucks. They knew Mallett would not stick around for another contract after this year. That is pretty freaking obvious to anyone who takes a look at things beyond the stat lines of glorified scrimmages. Completely freaking obvious.

For three years Mallett was THE guy who was going to be in the game should Brady go down. I doubt that BB would put him in that position if he was a bust. It just happens to be that BB got lucky on Brady's durability and never had to find out. Combined with Brady never leaving a game so he could pad stats, Mallett is a complete unknown at this point. That is why they are still using the word POTENTIAL for a guy in the last season of his rookie contract.

We all have opinions, but it was clear that Mallett was going to be the heir apparent before Brady started doing a Favre. Not everyone is like Kubiak and content to be a backup for their entire career to an HOFer. Garopollo has a much better chance of being that heir apparent simply because of Brady's age by the time his rookie contract is up.

But to say that they went with Garopollo instead of Mallett based only on their pre-season performances? That decision was made on draft day, and it had nothing to do with whether Mallett was a good QB or not.

msr

Preseason stats mean nothing without watching the game. The coach has an expectation of each & he calls the game accordingly. If I were the coach, I would expect Mallet to know the play book much better than Garappolo & I would expect him to call & run the plays as designed. I would call a different game for Garoppolo.

Mallet would be told to stay in the pocket, go through his progressions before breaking the pocket to make something happen. Garoppolo would have no restrictions, may be one read, then go.

I would expect Garoppolo's numbers to be higher, because for him it doesn't matter if the receivers ran the wrong route, or if the protection wasn't called correctly. Mallet... if his receiver runs the wrong route, he's not supposed to throw the ball.

I know this explanation won't make sense with most fans. Especially if they're Garoppolo fans. But there's no way Garoppolo knows the play book as well as Mallet. & just because one does "better" in the preseason than someone else, doesn't mean they are more talented..... Garoppolo is more talented than Brady, just because he's more athletic than Brady makes him more talented. But he's not a better QB, he's not more ready.

I am not saying that Mallet is better than Garoppolo, just saying you can't prove it one way or the other with preseason stats. If that were the case, then Zack Mettenberger is the most talented QB from this draft. & we know that's not true. If it doesn't hold water in Mettenberger's case, it doesn't prove anything in Garoppolo's.

msr

No team can afford two franchise QBs. Since Brady's still playing, Mallet had to leave to get a contract.

msr

Mallett had an interview back before the draft where he made pretty clear when it was time to sign his next contract he wanted a starting shot. Haven't heard a hint of a whisper about either the Texans or Patriots actually talking contract to him. But all this the Patriots could re-sign him if they want stuff is nonsense. He would be a fool to do it. It would be all but the end of his football career. Brady's going to play another 4+ years and then he'd be an 8 year backup with 20 NFL throws, dead in the water. Look to see this same saga play out with Garoppolo at the tail end of his rookie contract unless Brady is clearly on his way out.

msr

Well if the Pats were willing to trade Garoppolo then he was a higher round draft pick who couldn't beat out a no experience backup and the Pats clearly saw nothing in him so he's crap, right?

Lawyer! lol msr

I agree that preseason stats mean nothing, but it was clear to anyone who watched the Pats this preseason (which includes yours truly) that Garoppolo had more control of the offense than Mallett. He got the ball out quickly and accurately while Mallett held the ball and looked very hesitant with his reads.

I don't know whether Mallett knows the playbook better or not but that's not the issue. His issue is diagnosing and attacking coverages. That much has been very clear all the way back to college. If Garoppolo was confused then he just dumped the ball down, which is what a QB is supposed to do. When Mallett is confused he still pushes the ball to his 1st or 2nd option, which can result in turnovers.

I'm not saying Garoppolo is more talented than Mallett. I'm saying that, if you paid attention, he clearly won the competition for the backup QB job. He showed much more command of the offense, was more poised in the pocket, and was much more accurate.

First, are you sure you watched every patriots game, or just the highlights?

If you really believe that the Pats were running their game day offense, then you must be confused. Preseason games feature vanilla offenses so that coaches can evaluate talent based on fundamentals. In addition I believe coaches would play call differently for a guy that has been on the team 3 years as opposed to a rookie. They already know what they have in Mallett, they don't in the rookie.

I did in fact watch all of the Pats games, and a few of them twice. There is a link in one of my posts that breaks down the Mallett performance that illustrates that Mallett did not play as bad as it appeared just looking at the stats.

I have to laugh at those of you who keep saying O'Brien has not hinted at starting Mallet so therefore he is not planning to. Remind me again when we have gotten any straight answers or insight into what O'Brien planned to do before he did it again? I mean as of a day before the trade happened O'Brien said during a press conference "As we sit here right now Keenum makes the 5 man roster" and he already knew the trade was going through.

The Pats have been trying to deal Mallet since last season. And like always what kept him from being dealt is BB was asking too much and nobody was desperate enough to give up so much for someone that would have to learn a new system. But for us he is a perfect fit and he does not have to learn anything but new terminology. BB and BO were playing chess with this trade since O'Brien got the job. BB blinked and BO got his man IMO. I predict we will all know soon enough. I grow tired of this argument. Same nonsense that went on with the Keenum situation, and I would bet it's those same Keenum fans trying their hardest to knock Mallett before he ever even gets a snap.

msr

I have to laugh at those of you who keep saying O'Brien has not hinted at starting Mallet so therefore he is not planning to. Remind me again when we have gotten any straight answers or insight into what O'Brien planned to do before he did it again? I mean as of a day before the trade happened O'Brien said during a press conference "As we sit here right now Keenum makes the 5 man roster" and he already knew the trade was going through.

The Pats have been trying to deal Mallet since last season. And like always what kept him from being dealt is BB was asking too much and nobody was desperate enough to give up so much for someone that would have to learn a new system. But for us he is a perfect fit and he does not have to learn anything but new terminology. BB and BO were playing chess with this trade since O'Brien got the job. BB blinked and BO got his man IMO. I predict we will all know soon enough. I grow tired of this argument. Same nonsense that went on with the Keenum situation, and I would bet it's those same Keenum fans trying their hardest to knock Mallett before he ever even gets a snap.

Lot of speculating going on in this part of your post....

Might want to check your timeline on that. Mallett was a subject of discussion long before he was wearing a Texans jersey.

Exactly. Not even sure where that comment came from.

I think Mallett was being talked about since OB hiring was announced...Maybe even speculation before that linking the two IF he was hired.

I know that before we traded for Mallett, I said I think if we did he'd be the most talented QB on the roster.

Exactly. Not even sure where that comment came from.

I think Mallett was being talked about since OB hiring was announced...Maybe even speculation before that linking the two IF he was hired.

I know that before we traded for Mallett, I said I think if we did he'd be the most talented QB on the roster.

I just looked back and there was a thread in 2012 talking about Mallett as a potential trade target.

No team can afford letting a franchise QB leave for only a guaranteed 7th rounder. Mallett wouldn't have gotten a huge contract. Most probably not even Fitz money. If the Pats believed someone was gonna give him starting QB type money, they wouldn't have traded him to us for only a guaranteed 7th since they would've gotten a higher compensatory pick.

If the Pats were convinced, that Mallett was their guy, they wouldn't have drafted a QB in the second round and they would've extend Mallett at premium backup QB money. If he wouldn't bite, they'd either get a higher compensatory pick or a better trade offer, than what we gave them.

The reality is: Mallett was a third round pick that hasn't shown anything in preseason or regular season so far. He has talent, that's why we traded for him. But labeling him a franchise QB or even a QB worth starting is way premature and most probably never gonna be true.

The highest paid - second highest paid QB makes $4M. This is about the limit for a backup of an otherwise affordable starter. Now there are higher paid number twos who actually make more than their starters, so this is strictly based on payroll.

anybody else think it's weird there is not a peep about mallett in any interviews with Obrien and godsey? questions about him off limits from reporters?
Head Coach Bill O’Brien
("on what went into the decision to trade for Ryan Mallett) “Any time we make decisions whether it is to release a player or trade a pick for a player or trade for another player for player, it’s always made with the best interest of the team. What is best for the team? What’s best for the team, one of the things that is best for the team is to have the most competitive roster you can possibly have on a week-to-week basis, on a month-to-month basis, on a year-to-year basis. So any decision that’s made as it relates to the roster is always made with the best interest of the team in mind.”

(on if Ryan Mallett is the backup quarterback) “Yes.”

(on how Ryan Mallett is picking things up) “The foundation of what he knows is very similar to what we had in the three years in New England. He was drafted in 11’ when I was there. We spent the rookie year together, and then I went to Penn State. 12’ and 13’ he stayed and was attentive in meetings. It’s obvious since he’s been here. Just the transition of Ryan coming in to this offense, certainly we do things, some things a little bit differently than what they do based on our personnel based on what their personnel is, but the foundation of it is very similar, so he’s been able to pick right up.”

(on what is different now about Ryan Mallett compared to the season they spent together) “Three years older. I believe he’s a guy that’s worked hard. He understands the pro game better than he did obviously, when he was a rookie. I think he’s worked extremely hard. You can tell on things like being in the weight room, he’s worked on his accuracy and he’s definitely improved in his knowledge of our offense. That’s obvious. He’s a guy that just has to keep working, keep improving and like I said, he’s our number two quarterback and it’s good to have him here.”

(on when the team decided to trade for Ryan Mallett) “I’m not sure. I’m not sure. Just when the discussions started we decided that was the best thing for the team.”

(on if Ryan Mallett’s understanding of the offense allowed the team to trade for him this close to the season) “It makes it easier. Obviously, when you have a guy that knows the basis of your offense, how to call a play, the cadence, the formations, the motions, the shifts, the different personnel groupings, how we call defense, it makes it a lot easier when you have a guy that you think can help you as a backup quarterback. That’s good.”
Quarterbacks Coach George Godsey

“We’re on really our third day of preparation for Washington, and I think as a group obviously, everybody is out there working hard, especially, the quarterbacks trying to get the game plan. I think it’s important that the whole unit sees the game plan through the same set of eyes and I think that’s what we’re trying for here, and again we’re on our third day with that process.”

(on how his past relationship with Ryan Mallett makes it easier for Ryan) “Anytime with any position there is familiarity, but it’s not only the personality but how you can relate what one system is apples and the other system is oranges and try to put that together into one common language. I think it makes the process a little bit easier.”

(on how Ryan Mallett is different now than he was a few years ago) “We’ve talked about this for a first year quarterback or a second year quarterback, which is where Ryan was when I was in New England until now, I think that through the reps, through constantly studying personnel, I think you improve. From where he’s at now from when I was first with him, I think there is an improvement.”

(on worrying whether Ryan Mallett would have a grasp of the offense by Week 1) “I think anybody that comes into a system within a week before the game there is always that concern. I think that’s why we have the ‘C’ on our chest to coach and try to make it a little bit easier for them.”

(on how involved he was in bringing in Ryan Mallett) “I mean, my job is the quarterback coach, to basically coach the quarterbacks that are here and to improve them.”
(on picking up Ryan Mallett and not pushing too much on Tom Savage) “I think it’s back to the whole rookie quarterback conversation. It’s not easy to get underneath the center right there and grasp our offense and really any offense within the amount of time that rookie quarterback is asked to do. I think that played a big part in it.”

(on the relationships he is building with the quarterbacks) “Within the relationship between a coach and a player, I think it has to extend more than just the meeting time. That is one thing that I can say with all three quarterbacks. That a lot of my time isn’t just spent in the meeting room with them. It’s on the phone, it’s conversations back and forth that occur throughout the day and not just the time that we’re actually together.”

(on Ryan Mallett’s maturation from his rookie season) “The first thing is you have to be willing to put the time in. Ryan was able to do that than, and obviously that was three years ago. It’s about putting the time in now with our system and really trying to catch up almost in a faster format because there is a little bit more you have to teach a rookie quarterback as opposed to a quarterback that maybe has been in the league a little bit.”

(on the difficulties for a rookie quarterback) “Yeah, I think that is an understatement just as far as, and I think Tom (Savage) can really comment to that, how much of it is really on a rookie quarterback, regardless of whatever system. You’re not only dealing with your own system, but you’re dealing with the recognition of personnel defensively and then you’re dealing with the recognition of the scheme defensively, which there is a lot of schemes and there is a lot of good coaches. Especially, the coaches we’re going against this week that have a lot of good defensive schemes that not only fit their personnel, but challenge the offense.”

(on a snapshot of some of the work he has been doing with Ryan Mallett compared to the other two quarterbacks) “Each quarterback is different. Again, with the coaching of each one of them I think we try to play to each one of their strengths. As much of we can get the reps at a full speed with the personnel that we anticipate being in there, I think we can kind of simplify some things. For example, Ryan being here for only a few short days, I think by game time that’s where we’ll have certain, for him his game plan may just be a little shorter than maybe Ryan’s (Fitzpatrick), but we’re still not to that point to make that decision.”

Not going to hear much chatter about the backup QB during the season unless the starter struggles. OB said Fitz graded out 100% in getting us out of/in to the correct plays at the LOS vs. Washington.

I don't want to see "The Texas Hammer" until he is 100% ready to
go in our scheme.

Fitz has some leash until the guy comes up to speed, and we can't
expect either one of them to be "perfect"

Not going to hear much chatter about the backup QB during the season unless the starter struggles. OB said Fitz graded out 100% in getting us out of/in to the correct plays at the LOS vs. Washington.

go in our scheme.
There are only two ways we see Mallett.
1) Fitz is injured.
2) Fitz is stinking it up AND the Texans are losing.

I think we will see Mallet at some point

I wonder how much of that's just lip service by OB. There was a play early in the game, we were 3rd and not more than a yard or two, and we looked all run. Washington conversely was loaded around the line and sure enough we were stopped on a run to the left I believe, and forced to punt.

I remember mostly because I questioned immediately to a buddy of mine how much autonomy he thought OB was allowing Fitz to check run/pass at the line.

OB said Fitz graded out 100% in getting us out of/in to the correct plays at the LOS vs. Washington.

I'm not going to flat out call OB a liar, but he's lying.

j/k..... however, I don't expect OB to tell us 100% what he's thinking at any time.

BoB lies constantly.

The whole spiel about Martin being the most improved player?
Riiight..

That's why they signed the kid from Tulsa and IMMEDIATELY
had him returning kicks and playing slot -- after 3 days of practice!

I don't mind if a coach keeps things close to the vest (like Gary)

But to flat out bulsht the fan base is annoying to me..

I like a lot of things about the guy, but that ain't one of them.

I'm not going to flat out call OB a liar, but he's lying.

j/k..... however, I don't expect OB to tell us 100% what he's thinking at any time.

BoB lies constantly.

Riiight..

Lol what's funny is he isn't obligated to tell the fanbase anything.

go in our scheme.

Fitz has some leash until the guy comes up to speed, and we can't
expect either one of them to be "perfect"
I don't want to see Jim Adler at QB either, only hope to see Mallet if Fitz struggles.

Jim Adler, The Tough, Smart Lawyer ® and Texas Hammer ®

Last edited:
BoB lies constantly.

Riiight..

Now, now...
if O'Brien feels he has to lie
well that's just what's in the best interest of the team.

BoB lies constantly.

Riiight..

It should be common sense that the chances you get a franchise QB with just a guaranteed 7th rounder are slim to none. Of course, stuff like this does happen - Brady get taken in the 6th round, Wilson in the 4th, Drew Brees was undervalued... but only a guaranteed 7th rounder? That means, that at least 32 teams don't believe he can be a franchise QB. Just common sense.

I am not hating on Mallett. I like him, and I like his potential. As soon as he sees the field I will cheer and await anxious to see, what he is capable of doing. If he turns out to be starting material or even more than that I will be very happy. But it sounds like a lot of people in here have way too high hopes. The chances of Leinart working out here were way higher than the chances of Mallett working out...

Then he should just be tight lipped -- don't shine on crap he knows isn't true.
It's going to get really ugly if he does that when the team hits a
losing streak..

Are you bitter because Kubiak was finally fired?

It's obvious to me that you don't care much for BOB. Why is this?

It should be common sense that the chances you get a franchise QB with just a guaranteed 7th rounder are slim to none. Of course, stuff like this does happen - Brady get taken in the 6th round, Wilson in the 4th, Drew Brees was undervalued... but only a guaranteed 7th rounder? That means, that at least 32 teams don't believe he can be a franchise QB. Just common sense.

I am not hating on Mallett. I like him, and I like his potential. As soon as he sees the field I will cheer and await anxious to see, what he is capable of doing. If he turns out to be starting material or even more than that I will be very happy. But it sounds like a lot of people in here have way too high hopes. The chances of Leinart working out here were way higher than the chances of Mallett working out...

Which of these 32 teams didn't already have a starter in place or a top draft pick with one foot on the field?

TB? StL after Bradford? Now besides them, none of the others are going to want to give up a legitimately valuable draft pick for a bonus commodity.

I think you're overestimating the market to throw in a big offer for a kid who wants a shot to start relatively soon and wants to be paid like it. The same reasons NE knew they had to look to go younger and cheaper at QB2 and so drafted Garoppolo. He was a fit for us in a buyer's market and we scooped him, it's pretty simple really.

Which of these 32 teams didn't already have a starter in place or a top draft pick with one foot on the field?

TB? StL after Bradford? Now besides them, none of the others are going to want to give up a legitimately valuable draft pick for a bonus commodity.

I think you're overestimating the market to throw in a big offer for a kid who wants a shot to start relatively soon and wants to be paid like it. The same reasons NE knew they had to look to go younger and cheaper at QB2 and so drafted Garoppolo. He was a fit for us in a buyer's market and we scooped him, it's pretty simple really.

Like I said, I didn't mean he doesn't have talent. I am just saying when you get a QB with a 7th round pick in about 99,5% of times he won't ever become a valuable starter. There are a lot of teams with no franchise QB and a lot of teams that could use an upgrade. Even for teams like the Cowboys, the Jets or the Titans it would be a no brainer to give up a 7th round pick for a guy that could be a franchise QB. Look at the Seahawks, they didn't have a QB so they signed a "big" FA and drafted one. If any team had the illusion of Mallett being a great starter for them, they would have easily offered a little more than what we did.

Franchise QBs are hard to come by. I'd say only perhaps 15 fanbases are really comfortable with their QB. Most of these QBs were drafted high or created some buzz when they entered the league. All we have from Mallett are unimpressive preseason tape (which doesnt mean too much) and unimpressive 4 NFL passes.

Like I said, I didn't mean he doesn't have talent. I am just saying when you get a QB with a 7th round pick in about 99,5% of times he won't ever become a valuable starter. There are a lot of teams with no franchise QB and a lot of teams that could use an upgrade. Even for teams like the Cowboys, the Jets or the Titans it would be a no brainer to give up a 7th round pick for a guy that could be a franchise QB. Look at the Seahawks, they didn't have a QB so they signed a "big" FA and drafted one. If any team had the illusion of Mallett being a great starter for them, they would have easily offered a little more than what we did.

Franchise QBs are hard to come by. I'd say only perhaps 15 fanbases are really comfortable with their QB. Most of these QBs were drafted high or created some buzz when they entered the league. All we have from Mallett are unimpressive preseason tape (which doesnt mean too much) and unimpressive 4 NFL passes.

The Cowboys, Jets, and Titans have contracts and time invested in their QB's and that wasn't changing to create a seller's market for a guy they would have had to indoctrinate into their system. A guy that doesn't want to sit much longer so that he can go play and get paid accordingly. You're talking about what they may have, hypothetically given up, in a vacuum. But it doesn't work that way. We were in the drivers seat for Mallett because of his fit with OB/Godsey and the fact that we had so little invested in our current QB crop.

I'm with you that anyone who thinks our QB concerns are over because of Mallett are kidding themselves, but I don't really see that opinion flying around too much. More that it was a worthwhile grab and let's see.

Even for teams like the Cowboys, the Jets or the Titans it would be a no brainer to give up a 7th round pick for a guy that could be a franchise QB.

I think your examples undercut your point dramatically.

Cowboys - they are not looking for a new franchise QB. They have their guy signed to a huge brand new contract through 2019. They just passed on the marketing extravaganza of Manziel. They had a 1st rounder with 20 starts as their backup. Not in the market for a QB at any level.
Jets - got their starter they just drafted in the 1st and a matching mobile backup. Not in the market for a QB at any level.
Titans - starter is an injury prone 1st rounder so they have an experienced backup and they drafted their longshot possible franchise guy. They're already carrying 3 QBs so not in the market.

The best argument for competition out there is St. Louis and Bradford didn't get injured until the 3rd preseason game. But I guess you can say 1 team didn't see any more potential than a 6th/7th.

Back