Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

Hey guys I'm new to this board Have never really followed the Texans until they signed Mallet, as of now the Texans are my new favorite team. I've watched Mallet in most all of his Collage games and wanted to give you an idea of what your getting. I think everyone knows he has a strong arm, in collage it was not uncommon to see him throw 60, 70 yard balls. But I think what most don't know about him is he has a very High Football IQ. HE is a student of the game ,loves watching film. Gruden raved about how well he did when he put him on the board explain plays. He's not perfect some of his con's would be he's not mobile,he can move in the pocket and can roll out in a practiced play but he wont win games with his feet. Another possible con or maybe Pro he has faith in his arm ,he believes he can put the ball in between 3 defenders to hit his target. The fact that he can do this means he will try to do it,sometime he makes it but sometimes he dose not.He did tend to over throw balls when he was under pressure. I feel Like HE never got a real shot in NE and I believe if he ever gets a chance to be in a offense that has at least a heartbeat of a running game and an Oline that can give him 5 to 6 sec on a regular bases that he can be one of the best QB in the NFL . If i was to describe him it would be like this he has the arm of Peyton, the Gunslinger attitude of Brett Favre, and the ability of Brady to pick apart a defense. HE just need a chance to get in a groove with core group of first stringers and I think the Texans Fans will come to love him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2hQZeeP8
Whoa!!! Welcome to the boards, but can you please try to use paragraphs? I'm not the grammar police, but that post is hard as hell to read.

All you need to do is hit enter between breaths. LOL

I'm not a big fan of the Brett Favra school of gunslinging. I'd rather have a game manager myself. But, I was never a Brett Favra fan anyway. I'd take him over the current crop of Texan QB's.

Hey guys I'm new to this board Have never really followed the Texans until they signed Mallet, as of now the Texans are my new favorite team. I've watched Mallet in most all of his Collage games and wanted to give you an idea of what your getting. I think everyone knows he has a strong arm, in collage it was not uncommon to see him throw 60, 70 yard balls. But I think what most don't know about him is he has a very High Football IQ. HE is a student of the game ,loves watching film. Gruden raved about how well he did when he put him on the board explain plays. He's not perfect some of his con's would be he's not mobile,he can move in the pocket and can roll out in a practiced play but he wont win games with his feet. Another possible con or maybe Pro he has faith in his arm ,he believes he can put the ball in between 3 defenders to hit his target. The fact that he can do this means he will try to do it,sometime he makes it but sometimes he dose not.He did tend to over throw balls when he was under pressure. I feel Like HE never got a real shot in NE and I believe if he ever gets a chance to be in a offense that has at least a heartbeat of a running game and an Oline that can give him 5 to 6 sec on a regular bases that he can be one of the best QB in the NFL . If i was to describe him it would be like this he has the arm of Peyton, the Gunslinger attitude of Brett Favre, and the ability of Brady to pick apart a defense. HE just need a chance to get in a groove with core group of first stringers and I think the Texans Fans will come to love him.

Thanks for the insight, and welcome aboard.

Welcome to the Board.

Most coaches and QBs would sell their souls to get that much time to throw even on an irregular basis. The average time before a quarterback releases the ball or runs is about 2.75 seconds.

Here's a very telling tale about :

Measuring pass rush, protection
Examining how to translate these concepts into accurate, meaningful metrics
Updated: November 12, 2013, 11:37 AM ET

Welcome to the board! I've got high hopes for your boy.

I think it just as likely that they had to prove to McNair that Keenum would never be the guy...

msr

well, if mallett or his agent didn't agree to it, I'd just sit him the entire year.

Would also stick your tongue out and say nanny nanny boo boo every time you walked passed him on the bench?

If it takes 7 weeks to grasp an offense that he's been in for this long, something's wrong. I understand there's a slight difference in verbiage but it shouldn't take nearly two months I wouldn't think. If it does, then Ryan Mattet ain't the guy.

msr

Cause he's not going to be your backup for long.

AND YOU KNOW IT!

Admit it!

He knows it, but will NEVER admit it. His love for Keenum runs deep.

Reference the plethora of Keenum threads.

msr

...The average time before a quarterback releases the ball or runs is about 2.75 seconds...
I'm going to qualify my comment by saying this is only my interpretation.

But what is meant by "2.75" must be defined.

In the analysis you reference, in the paragraph following Scenario #3, it says, "...sacking a QB after 2 seconds in the pocket..." and "...Getting pressure on a quarterback at 2.5 seconds to flush him from the pocket...".

I interpret this exactly as it says. It is the time a QB has "in the pocket". The time it takes for the QB to receive the snap, and to take his steps, and the time it takes to fake the run on a play action, all this time does not count. So a QB may have as much as 4, 5 or 6 seconds from the snap to get the ball off. 2.75 - 3 seconds "in the pocket" is a lot of time. Count: one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. And remember, this is only the average. Half the plays QB's have more than this amount of time.

In the analysis you reference, in the paragraph following Scenario #3, it says, "...sacking a QB after 2 seconds in the pocket..." and "...Getting pressure on a quarterback at 2.5 seconds to flush him from the pocket...".

I interpret this exactly as it says. It is the time a QB has "in the pocket". The time it takes for the QB to receive the snap, and to take his steps, and the time it takes to fake the run on a play action, all this time does not count. So a QB may have as much as 4, 5 or 6 seconds from the snap to get the ball off. 2.75 - 3 seconds "in the pocket" is a lot of time. Count: one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. And remember, this is only the average. Half the plays QB's have more than this amount of time.

Nah, there was one season I went through every passing attempt by the Texans. It's 2.75 from the snap not the back foot finishing the drop or some other beginning point.

Check that. If the QB still has the ball three seconds after the SNAP, his line is doing a good job. 5 or 6 seconds is an exceptional job. THE EXCEPTION!

A good QB needs 3 seconds. A great QB needs 2 1/2, but even a great QB needs at least that long to be effective.

OK, I'll accept your numbers.

But, in this case, it would appear to me that "pass blocking" could be improved by "firing off" and engaging the defensive rusher, rather than "dropping back" and giving the speed and initiative to the rusher. Granted I'm only using intuition, but it seems if the blocker was to be the aggressor, then you're almost certainly going to gain valuable fractions of a second as the defensive player disengages from the block.

Plus, if the offensive blocker is firing off, then the defense does not know if it is going to be a run or a pass, so there will be a fraction of a second of hesitation in this decision.

I'm probably way off base here, as well. But this is something I've pondered over in the past.

But, in this case, it would appear to me that "pass blocking" could be improved by "firing off" and engaging the defensive rusher, rather than "dropping back" and giving the speed and initiative to the rusher. Granted I'm only using intuition, but it seems if the blocker was to be the aggressor, then you're almost certainly going to gain valuable fractions of a second as the defensive player disengages from the block.

Plus, if the offensive blocker is firing off, then the defense does not know if it is going to be a run or a pass, so there will be a fraction of a second of hesitation in this decision.

I'm probably way off base here, as well. But this is something I've pondered over in the past.
Not sure if the Oline is allowed to make forward progress on a pass play.

There's a little wiggle room there. But they couldn't go so far forward as to engage the LBs without being called for illegal man downfield. A ZBS stretch play is probably the best way to move and engage the linemen without falling back into normal pass pro, moving laterally instead of forward.

If Obrien feels Mallett is to be the starter some time this season, will he not play him some against Washington regardless of score?

If Obrien feels Mallett is to be the starter some time this season, will he not play him some against Washington regardless of score?

Not seeing where there is any logical flow to that. Pretty sure different coaches will take different approaches on when the best time to introduce someone new to the team into the lineup even if they all view him as an eventual starter. Let's see if Bortles and Bridgewater both make it into the games this weekend.

I don't think so. Priority #1 is winning the game, not getting a QB ready for the future. Now if it does turn into a blowout, we may see Mallet, but he's most likely just going to be handing the ball off.

I think it depends on how much of the playbook and verbiage he's been able to pick up. The concepts are pretty much the same as what he's been working with for the past 3 years. Godsey should be able to give him a cheat-sheet translation to help him pick up any differences between the two systems quickly.

But he also hasn't practiced with everyone and hasn't developed any chemistry, yet.

Duane Brown was complimentary of him and of his arm.

But I think OB is going to play the guy who gives him the best chance to win. This week, that's probably Fitzpatrick because he's been in the system and practicing with the guys since OTAs. I expect Mallett to overtake Fitzy pretty quick but I don't know if a week is enough time.

I think it depends on how much of the playbook and verbiage he's been able to pick up. The concepts are pretty much the same as what he's been working with for the past 3 years. Godsey should be able to give him a cheat-sheet translation to help him pick up any differences between the two systems quickly.

But he also hasn't practiced with everyone and hasn't developed any chemistry, yet.

Duane Brown was complimentary of him and of his arm.

But I think OB is going to play the guy who gives him the best chance to win. This week, that's probably Fitzpatrick because he's been in the system and practicing with the guys since OTAs. I expect Mallett to overtake Fitzy pretty quick but I don't know if a week is enough time.

hopefully in garbage time with Texans comfortably secure in victory :texflag:

If it takes 7 weeks to grasp an offense that he's been in for this long, something's wrong. I understand there's a slight difference in verbiage but it shouldn't take nearly two months I wouldn't think. If it does, then Ryan Mattet ain't the guy.
I didn't mean for it to come out like that, lol. I should have just kept it simple and said I think it'll be around week 7 before we get to see Mallet play. :cool:

I didn't mean for it to come out like that, lol. I should have just kept it simple and said I think it'll be around week 7 before we get to see Mallet play. :cool:

Ahh, got it. I really don't have a feel for how long Fitz's leash is. I guess we'll all know about the same time...

I've thought about it for over 40 years and it was explained to me that the pocket allowed the offense to concentrate defense around the QB much like circling the wagons in the old West permitted cover fire.

But I suspect there ARE elements of this concept in the newer offenses which emphasize the quick runs and quick passes rather than the deep ball.

I've thought about it for over 40 years and it was explained to me that the pocket allowed the offense to concentrate defense around the QB much like circling the wagons in the old West permitted cover fire.

But I suspect there ARE elements of this concept in the newer offenses which emphasize the quick runs and quick passes rather than the deep ball.

You see it in the rollouts and things in the ZBS stuff we had with Kubiak. The offensive line sells the run, block as though it's a run, and don't form the traditional pocket.

But when you fire off and block straight ahead like you would in a power scheme, it's difficult not to have a guy or two move too far upfield and get flagged. So for a 7 step drop or something, if the linemen are moving forward, they're probably all going to be flagged.

Also, if a DE or a RLB sees the QB dropping back, they're going to run toward them. If the tackle is moving forward, he's not going to be in position to block that guy; he has to move backward to pick up the rush and maneuver him past the QB.

You see it in the rollouts and things in the ZBS stuff we had with Kubiak. The offensive line sells the run, block as though it's a run, and don't form the traditional pocket.

But when you fire off and block straight ahead like you would in a power scheme, it's difficult not to have a guy or two move too far upfield and get flagged. So for a 7 step drop or something, if the linemen are moving forward, they're probably all going to be flagged.

Also, if a DE or a RLB sees the QB dropping back, they're going to run toward them. If the tackle is moving forward, he's not going to be in position to block that guy; he has to move backward to pick up the rush and maneuver him past the QB.

Most excellent point Sir. That's the way I remember it from way back when.

There's a little wiggle room there. But they couldn't go so far forward as to engage the LBs without being called for illegal man downfield. A ZBS stretch play is probably the best way to move and engage the linemen without falling back into normal pass pro, moving laterally instead of forward.
OL has to be within 1 yd of LOS when a forward pass is thrown, irrc.

Not seeing where there is any logical flow to that. Pretty sure different coaches will take different approaches on when the best time to introduce someone new to the team into the lineup even if they all view him as an eventual starter. Let's see if Bortles and Bridgewater both make it into the games this weekend.

Minnesota blowout win - no Bridgewater.
Jaguars large loss - no Bortles.
Browns close game - no Manziel.

My whole thing is that i believe Mallett could of done exactly what Fitz did yesterday. Not hard for a QB to have an average day. But we need to know if Savage or Mallett is the guy or prepare to take a QB high in the next draft.

I'll give Fitz props though he didnt lose us the game, but he far from won it for us as well.

My whole thing is that i believe Mallett could of done exactly what Fitz did yesterday. Not hard for a QB to have an average day. But we need to know if Savage or Mallett is the guy or prepare to take a QB high in the next draft.

I'll give Fitz props though he didnt lose us the game, but he far from won it for us as well.

No but he put the team in position to win and that is all he needs to do. IF it wasn't for the 70+ yard TD, Texans win 10-6 and "Fat Randy" is the game winner...

Sir, you are certainly a knowledegable critic. Let's give Fitz credit; he played the best he's able to. Trouble is, his best won't always be good enough. I too would like to see Mallett and Savage worked into games to see them adapt/develop into QB's able to take over this offense.

IF it weren't for those 2 fumbles..............

"if IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts..." Good defenses create turnovers. How many games did Seattle win on turnovers last year? I know of 1 that stands out pretty well....

Fitz did not look great, hell I have made him a running joke this entire offseason and for good reason. He will not win a game on his arm BUT- IF he can control the ball and put the team into a position to win, that is all you can ask of him.

I want to see what Mallett can do, especially stretching the field, but until that time comes, Fitz just needs to stay out of his own way and be a good game manager and let the Defense take over.

No but he put the team in position to win and that is all he needs to do. IF it wasn't for the 70+ yard TD, Texans win 10-6 and "Fat Randy" is the game winner...

He almost took us out of field goal range for one of them after the defense put them in a good position to score.

Dude didn't cost us the game, but I still feal uneasy when I see him play.

Minnesota blowout win - no Bridgewater.
Jaguars large loss - no Bortles.
Browns close game - no Manziel.

Realistically we had no chance on bridgewater, bortles, or manziel. We weren't taking a QB 1-1, we didn't trade down, and we weren't trading back up into the 1st.

We passed outright on Derek Carr. He looked decent to me. Accurate, good arm, potential is there.

We passed outright on Jimmy Garappolo. He has looked like the pick of the class to me. Has done extremely well in Pats preseason.

Hardly. If Hopkins doesn't get that TD, who's to say we wouldn't have scored on that drive anyways? If we didn't have running the clock out as our priority, who's to say we don't move the ball better on our last 2 drives and score TDs?

"if IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts..." Good defenses create turnovers. How many games did Seattle win on turnovers last year? I know of 1 that stands out pretty well....

Fitz did not look great, hell I have made him a running joke this entire offseason and for good reason. He will not win a game on his arm BUT- IF he can control the ball and put the team into a position to win, that is all you can ask of him.

I want to see what Mallett can do, especially stretching the field, but until that time comes, Fitz just needs to stay out of his own way and be a good game manager and let the Defense take over.

You said if so i said an IF, difference ?

Realistically we had no chance on bridgewater, bortles, or manziel. We weren't taking a QB 1-1, we didn't trade down, and we weren't trading back up into the 1st.

We passed outright on Derek Carr. He looked decent to me. Accurate, good arm, potential is there.

We passed outright on Jimmy Garappolo. He has looked like the pick of the class to me. Has done extremely well in Pats preseason.

side note: I was watching the Texans game, saw Fitz in shotgun, empty backfield with Foster spread out wide. Turned over to the NFL Red Zone and they were showing the Pats and Fins and I'll be damned, Tom Brady in the exact same formation.

Of course he executed far better but was just funny seeing the exact same play on 2 different teams almost simultaneously...

How are you so sure that Mallet wouldn't have turned the ball over?

The one play Fitz did, that I know Mallet can't do, was the scramble for the 1st down in the 4th. That was a big play by Fitz.

But there's still alot of season left. I truly believe BOB will roll with Mallet once he thinks he's ready... or when Fitz starts losing games for us.

The one play Fitz did, that I know Mallet can't do, was the scramble for the 1st down in the 4th. That was a big play by Fitz.

But there's still alot of season left. I truly believe BOB will roll with Mallet once he thinks he's ready... or when Fitz starts losing games for us.

I said i believe, which means speculation.

He doesn't, we don't...it is simply Fitzpatrick is not that good of a QB and we, or I, as fans want to see someone slinging the ball around with zip. Not throwing it at the feet of WRs or 4 yards short or under throwing...

I think we, or at least I, have had enough of that from the last regime....

in bold- Then we get to play the "what if" game the rest of the year if one of those loses could have been a win with Mallett and a possible playoff birth...

man this year is gonna suck....

I'm really hoping that Mallett is ready to go against the Raiders and I'm really hoping that OB is serious about playing the guys who give him the best chance to win games.

Fitzy is a backup QB. He's a pretty good backup QB. He's guts and he tries hard but he doesn't consistently make the throws he needs to make.

I think that this offense with a good QB at the helm could be awesome. With Fitzy at the helm, it's anti-awesome. With Fitzy at the helm, we need our defense and special teams to play lights-out like they did yesterday just to have a chance to win.

I'm hoping Mallett is at least a decent QB. And if OB doesn't trot him out as the starter this week, I just hope OB knows what he's doing and not waiting for Fitzy to actively lose a game before pulling him.

I'm really hoping that Mallett is ready to go against the Raiders and I'm really hoping that OB is serious about playing the guys who give him the best chance to win games.

Fitzy is a backup QB. He's a pretty good backup QB. He's guts and he tries hard but he doesn't consistently make the throws he needs to make.

I think that this offense with a good QB at the helm could be awesome. With Fitzy at the helm, it's anti-awesome. With Fitzy at the helm, we need our defense and special teams to play lights-out like they did yesterday just to have a chance to win.

I'm hoping Mallett is at least a decent QB. And if OB doesn't trot him out as the starter this week, I just hope OB knows what he's doing and not waiting for Fitzy to actively lose a game before pulling him.

Like I said before, if Mallett is Alex Smith in KC last year, this team has a shot to make some noise this year...

It's not his job to win games. It's his job to not lose them. And he did that perfectly yesterday. Sure it wasn't always pretty, but zero turnovers and 1-2 clutch plays to extend late drives was all we needed. He was just about perfect on our last 2 drives. Managed to move us from deep in our own territory down into the redzone while running about 10 minutes off the clock.

It's not his job to win games. It's his job to not lose them. And he did that perfectly yesterday. Sure it wasn't always pretty, but zero turnovers and 1-2 clutch plays to extend late drives was all we needed. He was just about perfect on our last 2 drives. Managed to move us from deep in our own territory down into the redzone while running about 10 minutes off the clock.

This is just a garbage take on the qb situation. The qb needs to be able to carry his team and be able to come from behind on occasion. To say he does not need to win games is bullshit and infuriating.

It all comes down to who you think the best QB is on this team.

I think it's Mallett. So I'm going to be pushing for Mallett to get on the field as quickly as possible.

But if someone doesn't think it's Mallett, if they think that Mallett is just a backup with no experience who's worse that Fitzpatrick, I'm cool with them believing that... even if I don't agree with them about the most important part of that assessment.

If Fitzpatrick and what we saw from him yesterday is the best we can expect from him, then we'll be lucky to get 5 wins.

It all comes down to who you think the best QB is on this team.

I think it's Mallett. So I'm going to be pushing for Mallett to get on the field as quickly as possible.

But if someone doesn't think it's Mallett, if they think that Mallett is just a backup with no experience who's worse that Fitzpatrick, I'm cool with them believing that... even if I don't agree with them about the most important part of that assessment.

If Fitzpatrick and what we saw from him yesterday is the best we can expect from him, then we'll be lucky to get 5 wins.

My stance is, I don't know. I do know that Fitz played like expected and he was the winning QB. Maybe setting the bar at "didn't make a mistake" is pretty damn low but it's more than last years group of scrub QBs could do. I don't know if one game is a "hot hand" but you play him until he starts to melt down, then you toss in the next guy. Defense, ST, and mistake free offense is what I believe BoB is aming for this year.

This is just a garbage take on the qb situation. The qb needs to be able to carry his team and be able to come from behind on occasion. To say he does not need to win games is bullshit and infuriating.

I get what you're saying. & there will be a time when Fitz will have to be that guy. It wasn't yesterday & I hope it won't be 'till after the bye, if he lasts that long.

The only reason I believe it might be that long is because Fitz has tried to carry much less talented teams before & picked up some bad habits. Hopefully this is OB's way of reigning him in a bit, getting him to trust his teammates & learn to win as a team.

I get what you're saying. & there will be a time when Fitz will have to be that guy. It wasn't yesterday & I hope it won't be 'till after the bye, if he lasts that long.

The only reason I believe it might be that long is because Fitz has tried to carry much less talented teams before & picked up some bad habits. Hopefully this is OB's way of reigning him in a bit, getting him to trust his teammates & learn to win as a team.

And thats respectable but for that guy to say its "not his job to win games", idiotic take.

What is more annoying ... the Mallett Mob or the Keenum Klick?

Not sure why anyone would make the statement that Mallett is 'better' than Fitzpatrick. Based on what? LOL at least Fitzpatrick has real tangible NFL experience and not the tired "potential" argument. I too hope Mallet gets his shot at some point this year so that people can come back from Neverland and realize that the QB to pop champagne is not on this roster.

Not sure why anyone would make the statement that Mallett is 'better' than Fitzpatrick. Based on what? LOL at least Fitzpatrick has real tangible NFL experience and not the tired "potential" argument. I too hope Mallet gets his shot at some point this year so that people can come back from Neverland and realize that the QB to pop champagne is not on this roster.

But we don't know if we should pop champagne because he has not had a shot. lets just pop it and if he sucks we can just get drunk,

Not sure how you can claim to know this when 2/3rds of the QBs on the roster have no NFL track record.

Back