Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rick Smith looks smarter every day

If I were to change the GM & HC of the Bills & the Packers, which team do you think would be more successful sooner?

The Seahawks were a play-off team from 2003-2007, that's 5 years of winning. They were in the Super Bowl in 2005. We busted on David Carr in 2005, busted on our GM Caserly, & busted on our HC. You can't compare what Pete Caroll & Schneider has done since 2010 with what Kubiak & Smith has done since 2007.

Caroll & Schneider were brought in to bring the Seahawks back to a winning tradition, they didn't have to rebuild the organization from top to bottom.

What did Holmgren do in Cleveland? That's comparable.

In 2005, the Texans battled it out with the SF 49ers for the #1 overall pick in the last (second to last?) game of the year. The 49ers won that game and dropped all the way to #6. Still, they were just about as terrible as the Texans at that time. They went through a terrible coaching phase with Singletary since then as well.

In fact, the top six teams in the draft in 2006 (i.e., the worst teams of 2005) were the Texans, Saints, Titans, Jets, Packers, and 49ers. Four of those teams have been to championship games since then. Three of them have been to Super Bowls.

Just some counter perspective.

Rick Smith looked really smart when Baewin took 6m a year from the Eagles! Good thing he didn't accept our offer and let us overpay him!!!! Great job Rock!!!!

3a78f924df5e56597d596b8746d19497.png

If I were to change the GM & HC of the Bills & the Packers, which team do you think would be more successful sooner?

The Seahawks were a play-off team from 2003-2007, that's 5 years of winning. They were in the Super Bowl in 2005. We busted on David Carr in 2005, busted on our GM Caserly, & busted on our HC. You can't compare what Pete Caroll & Schneider has done since 2010 with what Kubiak & Smith has done since 2007.

Caroll & Schneider were brought in to bring the Seahawks back to a winning tradition, they didn't have to rebuild the organization from top to bottom.

What did Holmgren do in Cleveland? That's comparable.

I agree with you to some extent, that the Texans have swung & missed on a lot of opportunities. But this "baby steps" rant you've got going is misplaced. If the Oilers had never left, if Rick & Gary took over that organization, then you'd be on point. But this is totally new.

Is 10 years too long to build a successful organization in one of the most competitive professional leagues in the world? Maybe. Would it have taken 10 years had we started with Kubiak & Smith? Probably not & I say that because we've seen what they've done in the last 7, if they didn't have all that baggage left by Casserly & Capers, it's within reason to believe we'd have been successful sooner.

Right now, the only thing I'm concerned about, is if the success we've seen is sustainable (is it real) & if we have the right people in place to take it further.

I'm celebrating "baby steps" yeah... but it is what it is. I'll be happy if we get to the play offs again & lose in the divisional round. I want a Super Bowl, but a third play-off season would help me believe this is one of the better teams in the league, which is a long way from where this team was in 2007.

& yes, if we don't make the play offs in 2013, Gary or Rick should be fired. Maybe both, depending on who replaces Gary (if it's Gary that leaves).

Come on didnt the seahawks get into the play-offs with a 7-9 record 2 seasons ago ??? Would not say that is cause the organization did such a great job haha.

Watch more basketball and you'd know what he's done to the roster.

Flipped broken down Yao/Tracy on a team in cap hell into a 23 year old superstar that's locked up for 5 more years along with young high upside players on good contracts with cap room to go after another big name guy.

Obviously they're just now starting to pay off, but show me one team that's not a NY/LA market that's rebuilt itself like this team has in just 3-4 years. Better yet, show me one that's done what Morey has without tanking.

Um, you do know that this team is barely over .500 and not considered a contender right? They missed the playoffs for the last three years with barely .500 records, so while they didn't tank, he made them *just good enough to get screwed out of decent draft picks to accelerate the rebuilding process. That may actually be a worse decision than tanking.

The potential is there for future seasons with a few more key additions, but this team as built right now is not a championship caliber team. They have improved from a mediocre team not making the playoffs to a decent team barely making the playoffs.

Funny how that is considered success for the Rockets, but failure for the Texans.

Um, you do know that this team is barely over .500 and not considered a contender right? They missed the playoffs for the last three years with barely .500 records, so while they didn't tank, he made them *just good enough to get screwed out of decent draft picks to accelerate the rebuilding process. That may actually be a worse decision than tanking.

The potential is there for future seasons with a few more key additions, but this team as built right now is not a championship caliber team. They have improved from a mediocre team not making the playoffs to a decent team barely making the playoffs.

Funny how that is considered success for the Rockets, but failure for the Texans.
Who needs high draft picks when you already have your superstar? We are one of the youngest teams in the league(2nd youngest to be exact) and we are in good footing to land a playoffs spot. Plenty of guys with high ceilings who've yet to reach them, plenty of cap space, no malcontents that's as good as you can ask for.

Honestly, you're over-simplifying if you only look at team records. This team is vastly different than last years even though record-wise they're similar.

In 2005, the Texans battled it out with the SF 49ers for the #1 overall pick in the last (second to last?) game of the year. The 49ers won that game and dropped all the way to #6. Still, they were just about as terrible as the Texans at that time. They went through a terrible coaching phase with Singletary since then as well.

In fact, the top six teams in the draft in 2006 (i.e., the worst teams of 2005) were the Texans, Saints, Titans, Jets, Packers, and 49ers. Four of those teams have been to championship games since then. Three of them have been to Super Bowls.

Just some counter perspective.

For some perspective,
If the Bills & the Packers were to change the GM & HC, which team do you think would be more successful sooner?

The 49ers I think is a good comparison (not as good as the Browns) since they've had about as much success as the Texans since 2002 (blowing us out of the water in 2011 & 2012). They had 8 losing seasons before making it to the play offs. & while they had great play from the QB position, they also had great play from most of their star players as well.

Come on didnt the seahawks get into the play-offs with a 7-9 record 2 seasons ago ??? Would not say that is cause the organization did such a great job haha.

& that was just a blip in the radar for them at that time. If we go 7-9 next year, 2011 & 2012 are the anomaly, not the losing seasons. I know we want to think our team is as good as the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, & Colts, but we're not. Our team may have been as talented as any of them in 2011 & 2012, but what were seeing right now (in March) has just as much to do with how this team will do between September & January.

Those other teams have been around for a long time. Their plan B is usually better than our plan A. They know what works, what doesn't work & do not "panic" as much as other teams have.

Yes, in 2011 & 2012, we had a team that was talented enough to win it all, but they didn't, for whatever reason. Now it's about what they'll do in 2013 & the jury is still out.

For some perspective,

The 49ers I think is a good comparison (not as good as the Browns) since they've had about as much success as the Texans since 2002 (blowing us out of the water in 2011 & 2012). They had 8 losing seasons before making it to the play offs. & while they had great play from the QB position, they also had great play from most of their star players as well.

& that was just a blip in the radar for them at that time. If we go 7-9 next year, 2011 & 2012 are the anomaly, not the losing seasons. I know we want to think our team is as good as the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, & Colts, but we're not. Our team may have been as talented as any of them in 2011 & 2012, but what were seeing right now (in March) has just as much to do with how this team will do between September & January.

Those other teams have been around for a long time. Their plan B is usually better than our plan A. They know what works, what doesn't work & do not "panic" as much as other teams have.

Yes, in 2011 & 2012, we had a team that was talented enough to win it all, but they didn't, for whatever reason. Now it's about what they'll do in 2013 & the jury is still out.

My point is if you go 7-9 and make the play-offs that means you had a really really weak conf/division. It was not because of the great team the seahawks put together.

Watch more basketball and you'd know what he's done to the roster.

Flipped broken down Yao/Tracy on a team in cap hell into a 23 year old superstar that's locked up for 5 more years along with young high upside players on good contracts with cap room to go after another big name guy.

Obviously they're just now starting to pay off, but show me one team that's not a NY/LA market that's rebuilt itself like this team has in just 3-4 years. Better yet, show me one that's done what Morey has without tanking.

Lol with all the qualifiers...building a team that can make the playoffs in 3-4 years is not hard to do guy....especially in the NBA. it's getting to that next level that's hard. Indiana put their core together and made the playoffs in about 3 years and made it to the 2nd round easily...Golden State's core took about 3 years as well. All these teams really lacked was a HC.

Still don't see what watching more basketball has to do with anything you're asserting about how great Morey is. yeah we're 1 of the youngest teams in the NBA, so what. With the way Morey flips rosters we'll never see any of this young talent stay here and develop either. Harden is the only guy guaranteed to be here in the next 3 years. Everyone else may very well be gone in 1 of Morey's not-so blockbuster deals.

We're over-simplifying it b/c at the end of the day, that's all that matters...It's the same standard that people here use when talking about Smith. & thus far Morey's end results haven't yielded much of anything to say that he's so much better than Smith.

Well see how smart rick is when its time to pay Cushing and give megaswatt that ridiculous but well deserved contract

Everybody will look stupid when they have to sign marquis players.

You just have got to do what you have to do.
Looking at the Texans contracts over the last few years, they are pretty reasonable, I wouldn't worry too much about it... At least for now, LOL!

Haha, drunk posting on a phone often leads to grammatical mistakes... :)

I do think it's hilarious that we have a few "Trust in Rick Smith" threads, and then we find out Rick offered Barwin what the Eagles just overpaid. Just wait, in a year or so when Barwin doesn't live up to his contract, Rick Smith will be hailed for not overpaying him to stay, even though he tried to after one good year.

Haha, drunk posting on a phone often leads to grammatical mistakes... :)

I do think it's hilarious that we have a few "Trust in Rick Smith" threads, and then we find out Rick offered Barwin what the Eagles just overpaid. Just wait, in a year or so when Barwin doesn't live up to his contract, Rick Smith will be hailed for not overpaying him to stay, even though he tried to after one good year.

Didn't we offer that during preseason, though? At least our offer was coming off of a very good season.

Didn't we offer that during preseason, though? At least our offer was coming off of a very good season.

So by Barwin choosing not to sign the contract Smith offered...somehow how that was a smart move on Smith's behalf? I think Smith lucked out on that one courtesy of Barwin's self confidence or else Smith would easily be taking more heat on top of his resigning of Schaub imo. It seems despite Barwin's down season Smith chose to still pursue him until the end as he allowed Quin to walk w/out offering an official offer & Quin supposedly being the #1 priority this offseason. Needless to say Smith does keep us guessing.

So by Barwin choosing not to sign the contract Smith offered...somehow how that was a smart move on Smith's behalf? I think Smith lucked out on that one courtesy of Barwin's self confidence or else Smith would easily be taking more heat on top of his resigning of Schaub imo. It seems despite Barwin's down season Smith chose to still pursue him until the end as he allowed Quin to walk w/out offering an official offer & Quin supposedly being the #1 priority this offseason. Needless to say Smith does keep us guessing.

When it comes to how Rick operates I'm not doing alot of guessing. If signing 2 top tier FA's every 5 yrs put a team in cap hell, then how do teams like the Pats/Eagles etc.... continue to operate? I think our GM is in over his head a little.

Matt Schaub
Arian Foster
Andre Johnson
Owen Daniels
Chris Myers
Duane Brown
Eric Winston
Antonio Smith
Demeco Ryans
Johnathan Joseph
Danieal Manning

These are all guys that received notable contracts from us by Free Agency, Trade and/or Extension(s) from their rookie draft deals with the Texans. Lets not pretend we're in cap hell. We've got a ton of great talent and they all can't be paid. Period. That's why Winston was cut and Demeco was traded. We've got Cushing and Watt coming up. We recently took care of some core players last year. While I really wish we could have retained Glover Quin, we didn't. It's not the end of the world. We're going to be losing a good player or two every year. That's the nature of being a good team.

I wish people would stop saying we're in cap hell. Just about half of our starters are legitimate pro bowlers. Call it a problem if you want but it's a good problem to have. It means we've drafted well and the players have produced on the field to warrant significant money. We just have to continue drafting well to stay good. Getting guys to produce during their rookie contract is the name of the game in managing the NFL Salary Cap.

Smith, as GM, can only acquire the pieces. He has done that. Does anyone disagree that he has assembled a very talented and young team? It is a team that has won the division and a playoff game each of the past two seasons without any beneficial anomalies like abnormally good team health or inordinate amount of close wins. This is a team where the bulk of the talent is on the front side of its career. Given Smith's success in the draft the past 4 years and the team's ability to acquire extra compensatory picks the next few seasons, the expiring veteran contracts and cap-friendly contracts, I don't expect the talent level or production to drop... do you? why?

You aren't listening to anything here.

I as well as others have agreed that he has drafted pretty well when you look back on the last 5 years. It is no secret, nor can it be denied that those picks are just as much to be credited to Kubiak and more importantly Wade over the last two years on the defense. Please don't tell me that it was Rick Smith's genius that built this defense instead of Wade Phillips, because before Wade Phillips got here Rick Smith didn't have a clue who to hire for defense, nor did he have a clue on what guys to bring in to this defense. Wade came in and cleaned up Rick's mess. How you can completely ignore this and push it to the side is ridiculous.

And as far as his off season moves outside of the draft, the more you talk and bring up his history you are making the opposite case for Smith. You are proving that he hasn't done hardly anything as far as trades and free agency goes, because you keep bringing up one off season out of like seven.

Wade came in and cleaned up Rick's mess. How you can completely ignore this and push it to the side is ridiculous.

A little nit-picky here, I don't know that Wade cleaned up his mess, but he made a hell of a stew with the ingredients Smithiak bought. I think the worst tomato of the bunch, we can all agree was probably Kj & he turned out just fine.

Smithiak was already improving the talent on our defense; Mario, Demeco, Cushing, Barwin, Quin, McCain, Sharpton, Cody, Antonio, Jamison,

Maybe they didn't have the gnads to get rid of Okoye had Wade not come along. Maybe they'd have paid Mario $100M had Wade not come along. But Cushing & Demeco were as dynamic a player as Watt their first two years & had that same kind of impact.

Matt Schaub
Arian Foster
Andre Johnson
Owen Daniels
Chris Myers
Duane Brown
Eric Winston
Antonio Smith
Demeco Ryans
Johnathan Joseph
Danieal Manning

These are all guys that received notable contracts from us by Free Agency, Trade and/or Extension(s) from their rookie draft deals with the Texans. Lets not pretend we're in cap hell. We've got a ton of great talent and they all can't be paid. Period. That's why Winston was cut and Demeco was traded. We've got Cushing and Watt coming up. We recently took care of some core players last year. While I really wish we could have retained Glover Quin, we didn't. It's not the end of the world. We're going to be losing a good player or two every year. That's the nature of being a good team.

I wish people would stop saying we're in cap hell. Just about half of our starters are legitimate pro bowlers. Call it a problem if you want but it's a good problem to have. It means we've drafted well and the players have produced on the field to warrant significant money. We just have to continue drafting well to stay good. Getting guys to produce during their rookie contract is the name of the game in managing the NFL Salary Cap.

Yep

This seems to be the trend that the Pats/Broncos/49ers/Seahawks/Colts/Falcons etc... seem to be following. (Sarcasm////)

"Smithiak" also didnt have a clue as to who to run that defense other than close friends and cheap 'yes men'.

Wasnt until Bobby Mac grew a pair and decided to step in and hire a competent coordinator in Philips that these picks blossomed. Smith would have shown something if it was his guy running the defense and producing, but its not.

A little nit-picky here, I don't know that Wade cleaned up his mess, but he made a hell of a stew with the ingredients Smithiak bought. I think the worst tomato of the bunch, we can all agree was probably Kj & he turned out just fine.

Smithiak was already improving the talent on our defense; Mario, Demeco, Cushing, Barwin, Quin, McCain, Sharpton, Cody, Antonio, Jamison,

Maybe they didn't have the gnads to get rid of Okoye had Wade not come along. Maybe they'd have paid Mario $100M had Wade not come along. But Cushing & Demeco were as dynamic a player as Watt their first two years & had that same kind of impact.

It really isn't disputable that Wade had to come in and clean up Rick's mess, because that's what is was. Did you forget that the Texans defense were in the running for being the worst defense of all time from a scoring average against them? They were atrocious the season before Wade came in. Smithiak had trusted their buddies to run the defense before Wade, and both were a disaster. What Wade was able to accomplish in one off season from a turn around time standpoint is amazing and I think a lot of people forget that. Our defense may not be perfect as of now, but it's a pretty damn good one and it got pretty good much faster than any of us expected. Wade did a great job, but their is no question that it was mess that needed to be cleaned up when they were the worst defense in the entire league.

Did you forget that the Texans defense were in the running for being the worst defense of all time from a scoring average against them?

Yes they sucked but they weren't even the worst scoring defense that season. The Cardinals, Cowboys and Broncos all beat them out in that regard. The season before there were also three teams with worse scoring averages than the 2010 Texans. This internet myth needs to die.

Yes Wade's turnaround has been fantastic.

Yes they sucked but they weren't even the worst scoring defense that season. The Cardinals, Cowboys and Broncos all beat them out in that regard. The season before there were also three teams with worse scoring averages than the 2010 Texans. This internet myth needs to die.

Yes Wade's turnaround has been fantastic.

Well I remember in here that it kept getting talked about almost all season long how they were staying in some pace to be the worst defense ever. I didn't remember the exact numbers it was, but it was a talking point for a while. But I think we agree that it can't really be argued that Wade wasn't brought in to clean up a mess.

Well I remember in here that it kept getting talked about almost all season long how they were staying in some pace to be the worst defense ever. I didn't remember the exact numbers it was, but it was a talking point for a while. But I think we agree that it can't really be argued that Wade wasn't brought in to clean up a mess.

I agreed the D sucked and Wade pulled off a miraculous turnaround. I think that quote came from McClain (pretty sure I was listening when he said it) and then it became internet truth.

No it isn't because he did it by drafting well and then cashing in those players for more draft picks before they got expensive. This accumulation of good but cheap players gets you the youngest team in the league with the second most cap room and a gold vault full of assets to make a move for a top ten player in James Harden.

The potential is readily apparent with zero additions. The starting lineup has 4/5 guys starting for the basically the first time in their career. Parsons is locked into a 4 year sub-million dollar contract and can put up 25+ on any given night and this is only his second season in the NBA. Plus they have max+ cap room to add any free agent they want this off season.

Since 2002:

Number of above .500 seasons
Rockets = 9 (plus this year)
Texans = 3

Number of playoff appearances
Rockets = 5 (plus this year)
Texans = 2

The arrow is point:
Rockets = up
Texans = down

Last edited:
No it isn't because he did it by drafting well and then cashing in those players for more draft picks before they got expensive. This accumulation of good but cheap players gets you the youngest team in the league with the second most cap room and a gold vault full of assets to make a move for a top ten player in James Harden.

The potential is readily apparent with zero additions. The starting lineup has 4/5 guys starting for the basically the first time in their career. Parsons is locked into a 4 year sub-million dollar contract and can put up 25+ on any given night and this is only his second season in the NBA. Plus they have max+ cap room to add any free agent they want this off season.

Since 2002:

Number of above .500 seasons
Rockets = 9
Texans = 3

Number of playoff appearances
Rockets = 5 (plus this year)
Texans = 2

The arrow is point:
Rockets = up
Texans = down

Boom! Down comes the hammer. Rep coming your way.

Lol with all the qualifiers...building a team that can make the playoffs in 3-4 years is not hard to do guy....especially in the NBA. it's getting to that next level that's hard. Indiana put their core together and made the playoffs in about 3 years and made it to the 2nd round easily...Golden State's core took about 3 years as well. All these teams really lacked was a HC.
Pacers and Warriors had 4 sub .500 seasons in a row, not 3. The Rockets are 3-0 against the Warriors this season BTW. Harden is a better player than anyone on those rosters and in the NBA, superstars win championships.

yeah we're 1 of the youngest teams in the NBA, so what. With the way Morey flips rosters we'll never see any of this young talent stay here and develop either. Harden is the only guy guaranteed to be here in the next 3 years. Everyone else may very well be gone in 1 of Morey's not-so blockbuster deals.

THE youngest team. He flips rosters to cash in on guys before they become expensive, and uses those picks and cap space to acquire superstars. Now that he has a young team, draft picks in the bank, tons of cap space, and a 23 year old superstar locked up for 6 years, his strategery will shift slightly. The recent patrick patterson trade got us a 5th overall pick rookie, future cap space, for a soon to be free agent player we had no intention to resign. So those types of moves will continue.

We're over-simplifying it b/c at the end of the day, that's all that matters...It's the same standard that people here use when talking about Smith. & thus far Morey's end results haven't yielded much of anything to say that he's so much better than Smith.
Morey had to shift from building a team around Yao, to starting over in 2011. People think he has been rebuilding for 5 years or something. Kevin Martin was brought here specifically to play with Yao, and he was here until the Harden trade. The owner said no tanking, and in 2 years he has done miracles. Smith had since 2007 to implement his vision, and he got to the playoffs once before the team started losing free agents.

Last edited:
Some people dont see the awesomeness that is Dork Elvis.

They really think Rick Smith is a good GM.

Signed,

The Guy Who Thinks Re-Structures Are Unconstitutional

:vincepalm:

You didnt actually believe that did you?

Some people dont see the awesomeness that is Dork Elvis.

They really think Rick Smith is a good GM.

A sabermetric/analytic approach is the best approach in football even more so than in the nba.

It would be a disservice and competitive disadvantage if the texans didnt have a sabermetric/analytic centered philosophy and GM.

Well I remember in here that it kept getting talked about almost all season long how they were staying in some pace to be the worst defense ever. I didn't remember the exact numbers it was, but it was a talking point for a while.

I think it was worst pass defense ever.

But I think we agree that it can't really be argued that Wade wasn't brought in to clean up a mess.

I think he did a good job putting the guys in positions to do what they do. I wouldn't say he cleaned up Rick Smith's mess, because then you're talking from a personnel perspective.

Many of those first & second round draft picks were here way before Wade. The value picks, Quin & McCain.... before Wade. Wade fixed Gary's mess, Rick has done a fairly decent (I'd say pretty good, but I don't like the guy) job getting players for our defense.

Jj Watt & Brooks Reed are similar to other guys Smithiak drafted before Wade.... Cushing, Demeco, Connor, Quin, McCain; they all fit the same mold.

Jjo & Manning are like their other FA signings; Antonio, Wade Smith, Pollard, Myers (trade).... all were fairly young (for FAs) that may have been undervalued.

The coaching improved by leaps & bounds, but the quality of players has been on par.

I think it was worst pass defense ever.

I think he did a good job putting the guys in positions to do what they do. I wouldn't say he cleaned up Rick Smith's mess, because then you're talking from a personnel perspective.

Many of those first & second round draft picks were here way before Wade. The value picks, Quin & McCain.... before Wade. Wade fixed Gary's mess, Rick has done a fairly decent (I'd say pretty good, but I don't like the guy) job getting players for our defense.

Jj Watt & Brooks Reed are similar to other guys Smithiak drafted before Wade.... Cushing, Demeco, Connor, Quin, McCain; they all fit the same mold.

Jjo & Manning are like their other FA signings; Antonio, Wade Smith, Pollard, Myers (trade).... all were fairly young (for FAs) that may have been undervalued.

The coaching improved by leaps & bounds, but the quality of players has been on par.

Smith did not draft DeMeco. That would be Casserly w/ Dan Reeves as the special consultant brought in by McNair specifically for that draft who got Ryans.

Cushing was sort of a no brainer considering many predicted it would be Cushing or Clay Mathews, but I guess considering Smith didn't screw it up we should at least give credit where credit is due.

McCain had 1 decent season as did Barwin so we honestly don't know if they will pan out or not. I think allowing them to walk does indicate their worth & value to the Texans & one decent season from each doesn't indicate that either player was a successful pick by Smith. I think both McCain & Barwin have potential, Barwin more so then McCain IMO, but the Texans didn't get too much from them & it remains to be seen if they actually become consistently good players. Hasnt quite earned the notch on Smith's belt IMO.

Quin was a very good pick, IMO, & Smith allowed him to walk. So a once good move could easily turn into a negative IMO.

Smith did not draft DeMeco. That would be Casserly w/ Dan Reeves as the special consultant brought in by McNair specifically for that draft who got Ryans.

Oh goody, let's revise history again. You hate Kubiak so much you want to give credit to Casserly for DeMeco. It's laughable. Casserly was on his way out and Kubiak clearly was calling the shots. After the draft Kubiak said he was really glad he let Casserly talk him into picking OD.

Dan Reeves was not brought in for the draft either. He was hired prior to Capers even being fired - heck the season wasn't over. Link His consultant role went to HC and QB.

McNair said Reeves would likely be with the team for ``a couple of months,''

Last time I checked, a couple months from mid-December didn't get you to the draft.

Last edited:
Oh goody, let's revise history again. You hate Kubiak so much you want to give credit to Casserly for DeMeco. It's laughable. Casserly was on his way out and Kubiak clearly was calling the shots. After the draft Kubiak said he was really glad he let Casserly talk him into picking OD.

Dan Reeves was not brought in for the draft either. He was hired prior to Capers even being fired - heck the season wasn't over. Link His consultant role went to HC and QB.

Lol! Are you serious? Reeves stayed until the draft was over. That's not revising, that's fact. Reeves assisted along the way in different aspects as it was, as you already stated, Casserly & Capers fair well & Kubiak's welcome. In the end, Casserly was the GM, Kubiak was the HC & Reeves was the special consultant hired by McNair heading into the draft. Rick Smith was not in the picture when DeMeco was drafted as it was stated by TK. Oh goody, now we are all clear again & one thing is for sure...Smith had no hand in DeMeco.

I never said Kubiak didn't have a part in the 2006 draft, so that comment & false assumption by you was completely off base & irrelevant. You are correct, I don't care for the job kubiak has done thus far, but that's for another thread. :fingergun:

Last time I checked, a couple months from mid-December didn't get you to the draft.

McNair said Reeves would likely be with the team for ``a couple of months,'' but that he could remain with the Texans longer.

Since you decided to omit the last portion in your post, I went ahead & added it back in. I remember Reeves sticking around until the draft because many speculated Casserly wouldnt or couldnt be much help to Kubiak since he knew he would be let go. Either way, had nothing to do w/ Smith & that's what I disputed.

I remember Reeves sticking around until the draft because many speculated Casserly wouldnt or couldnt be much help to Kubiak since he knew he would be let go. Either way, had nothing to do w/ Smith & that's what I disputed.

Yeah buddy, let's trust your memory rather than a link. Or maybe he was so involved:

"I don't know if they ever asked my advice, but I looked at (Young) and told them that he was a guy they would have to consider even with David Carr there."

Link

He was so involved he can't even remember if they ever asked him about the top pick in the draft.

As to "either way" your assertion regardless of what you were disputing was wrong. The 2006 draft was Kubiak's. I guess if it makes you happy you can say you were both wrong.

McNair said Reeves would likely be with the team for ``a couple of months,'' but that he could remain with the Texans longer.

Since you decided to omit the last portion in your post, I went ahead & added it back in. I remember Reeves sticking around until the draft because many speculated Casserly wouldnt or couldnt be much help to Kubiak since he knew he would be let go. Either way, had nothing to do w/ Smith & that's what I disputed.
Your timeline is wrong. Reeves and Casserly had nothing to do with Ryans. I know that Kubiak said that Casserly pounded the proverbial table for Owen Daniels for the first pick of the second day of the draft (before they changed the format of course). He gets credit for that one for sure. Dan Reeves wanted Vince Young (not that this has anything to do with Ryans...but just relaying that he was way out there in relation to what the other Texans brain-trust were thinking) and said so himself on his Radio show. I have the thread...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-32579.html

Gary called the shots on the 2006 draft and did better than any draft in Texans history. IMHO

Rick had nothing to do with the 2006 draft.

Take your large font and stick it up your quote hole. Here was what you said:

He was not brought in for the draft. "Could be retained longer which might possibly include through the draft" is the exact opposite of "brought in for the draft."

Take your large font and stick it up your quote hole. Here was what you said:

He was not brought in for the draft. "Could be retained longer which might possibly include through the draft" is the exact opposite of "brought in for the draft."
He was brought in to evaluate David Carr, give McNair some general NFL advice, and we later found out that he recommended that the Texans extend Carr and draft Vince Young. I don't know how much McNair paid for that, but holy moley that was some bad advice.

He was brought in to evaluate David Carr, give McNair some general NFL advice, and we later found out that he recommended that the Texans extend Carr and draft Vince Young. I don't know how much McNair paid for that, but holy moley that was some bad advice.

Exactly with the addition I think he also was consulted about HC as well.

Smith did not draft DeMeco..

As to "either way" your assertion regardless of what you were disputing was wrong. The 2006 draft was Kubiak's. I guess if it makes you happy you can say you were both wrong.

Take your large font and stick it up your quote hole.

What part of "Smith did not draft DeMeco" is wrong? Absolutely nothing is the answer since you insist on ignoring the fact that that was what I was disputing from the get go. Granted, I possibly could have overestimated Reeves' involvement in the 2006 draft & I will concede that much, but even by the link you provided it seems that not many are truly sure of how much Reeves was actually involved in. In the end, what I was disputing was not wrong because Smith had nothing to do with DeMeco as the other poster suggested. Hopefully the large font will help you focus on what was actually being disputed & since you seem to appreciate it. Jk! Lol!

I agree, but in the link that infantry provided it states that it was unknown on which length of extention Reeves may have suggested for Carr. I don't know if we can hold Reeves solely responsible for that one considering a "QB guru" HC was hired & probably had an opinion on what he could do w/ Carr.

Who knows, but that was one of the best drafts overall for the Texans, but one of the worst IMO to have had the #1 overall pick because none of the top 3 picks have become true game changers that is normally expected of players selected that high.

Nope, for instance the 2005 Niners gave up 11 more yards per game passing. The Texans were the worst that year.

Right.... however, throughout the season "they" were saying "we" were on pace for the worst (maybe they said one of the worst) pass defenses in the league.

Smith did not draft DeMeco.

My fault, freudian slip. I think of them as one person. You put them together & you've got a half decent GM. Still a little short on the HC end, but y'know. It is what it is.

Three -- 3! -- undrafted free agents will make this team's final 53 man roster.

That's ridiculously good. My hat is off to Rick & Co. :tiphat:

Back