Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Three -- 3! -- undrafted free agents will make this team's final 53 man roster.

That's ridiculously good. My hat is off to Rick & Co. :tiphat:

+ 2 6th rounders which is also impressive. I know there maybe a question on what about 2 3rd rounder and 1 4th rounder. We will know more about them come next year. Should two of three players shows up next year, you can say that we really hit the nail on both draft and UDFA. I mean, we are playoff team and upgrading left and right with both draft and UDFA is just unheard of. Rick and his scouting team are doing unbelievable job. I am sure glad we don't have FO like Dallas haha. Forgot to mention about Bonner. He may do well next year as well. May have a chance put himself on #4 or #5 WR spot next year.

It was a slow, frustrating process to get to this point. McNair's unpopular decision after that hideous season in 2010 is being rewarded. Believe me, I know Kubiak's limitations on gameday are frustrating (knowing we had no prayer of beating New England before the game began was infuriating). What we have now, though, is an organization that is all on the same page. Rick Smith knows what kind of player to pursue for Kubiak and for Wade. Kubiak knows he can trust Smith and the personnel department to make good decisions. It is an efficient operation and one that McNair was determined to develop.

We are in the midst of a decade of winning. I can't say that we will win a Superbowl. I think it is likely, but... I am supremely confident that this organization, at worst, will be winning many more than it loses the next 7 or 8 years... We will be watching quality football for the foreseeable future. Good news!

It was a slow, frustrating process to get to this point. McNair's unpopular decision after that hideous season in 2010 is being rewarded. Believe me, I know Kubiak's limitations on gameday are frustrating (knowing we had no prayer of beating New England before the game began was infuriating). What we have now, though, is an organization that is all on the same page. Rick Smith knows what kind of player to pursue for Kubiak and for Wade. Kubiak knows he can trust Smith and the personnel department to make good decisions. It is an efficient operation and one that McNair was determined to develop.

We are in the midst of a decade of winning. I can't say that we will win a Superbowl. I think it is likely, but... I am supremely confident that this organization, at worst, will be winning many more than it loses the next 7 or 8 years... We will be watching quality football for the foreseeable future. Good news!
I agree with you. I hope we can do the same with coaches. Wade is not getting younger and need young DC candidate to groom under Wade's system. Perhaps, DB coach Joseph?

Check that, I was wrong..... it's 4 UDFAs:

RB Cierre Wood
LB Willie Jefferson
LB Justin Tuggle
CB AJ Bouye

Four!

Scouting department also deserves some credit for signing these guys as well. Ultimately Rick and company are making the final decision, but these guys are on the road and identifying players that might work well in our system.

Maybe 3 udfa's making the roster speaks to the misses in the draft more than the udfa's actually being THAT good...:kitten: kind of

Either way, the roster is solid throughout.

Just asking, not saying this will happen, playing devils advocate.

What happens if Schaub/Foster/Reed/Newton etc... go down with injuries (Possible if you look at what CND has been saying) and the Texans go 8-8 or worse. How will the fan base feel about Rick/Gary and company now?

I do feel that Rick and the scouting dept have done a great job this yr. Unlike how I've felt in past yrs.

What happens if Schaub/Foster/Reed/Newton etc... go down with injuries (Possible if you look at what CND has been saying) and the Texans go 8-8 or worse. How will the fan base feel about Rick/Gary and company now?

I think we've got contingencies for every one of those situations. If those were to happen reasonably timed throughout the season, I think we'll be ok.

But if they were to happen one week after another starting week 10... I mean you can only "handle" so much so fast.

I do feel that Rick and the scouting dept have done a great job this yr. Unlike how I've felt in past yrs.

What happens if any team loses their starting QB, RB, Safety, and RT? I seriously don't think he would and should be crucified if this happened.

What happens if any team loses their starting QB, RB, Safety, and RT? I seriously don't think he would and should be crucified if this happened.

Of course not. That's an "All bets are off" situation. GM did his job and well. Injury bug has no bearing on that.

Then we play Yates, Tate, Wood, Harris, Brayman, Jefferson, etc. Is any team out there going to fare better in this circumstance?

Personally, no different than today. After all it's not Rick & Gary out there crushing their knee caps. How could you possibly blame them?

Just axin...

Personally, no different than today. After all it's not Rick & Gary out there crushing their knee caps. How could you possibly blame them?

Just axin...

I dont blame them,

I was just trying to point out how fickle a fan base can be.

You need to supply a timeline to go with those losses to make an assessment.

If they all happen in September and we still manage to finish 8-8 because we have good-to-decent quality subs, thats not the end of the world. I'd be inclined to count that as a good job by Smithiak.

If they all happen in December, that means we were possibly 8-4 and very much in the playoff hunt but then folded (i.e., went oh fer Dec.) because the subs weren't good enough.

There are three things you can count on with injuries (1) they will happen to every team (2) some players are just more susceptible to injuries (3) you can't predict or count on them with the exception of rule (2).

Tate is on my list of "more susceptible", so hopefully we'll stash away a good RB on the practice squad since Wood made the 53. Sharpton also makes my (2) list.

Remember when everyone (especially here) was calling for Rex to take over from Kubiak? Yeah, no one seems to be owning up to that gem of an idea anymore. :lol:

If they go 8-8 in that situation, I will be ticked that they didn't "suck for whoever" and hopefully get a great QB.

Remember when everyone (especially here) was calling for Rex to take over from Kubiak?
No. I can't remember that at all. Feel free to search the forum. I do remember a lot of posters wanting Bill Cowher, with a handful of Jon Grudens thrown in. I don't remember any Ryan (Rex or Ryan) being on the radar here.

There are three things you can count on with injuries (1) they will happen to every team (2) some players are just more susceptible to injuries (3) you can't predict or count on them with the exception of rule (2).

Tate is on my list of "more susceptible", so hopefully we'll stash away a good RB on the practice squad since Wood made the 53. Sharpton also makes my (2) list.

Agreed

Dont worry about Tate. This is a contact yr. He's in great shape and I prdict that Foster wont last the season. But Tate will step in and show that he's an elite talent.

No. I can't remember that at all. Feel free to search the forum. I do remember a lot of posters wanting Bill Cowher, with a handful of Jon Grudens thrown in. I don't remember any Ryan (Rex or Ryan) being on the radar here.

That was me, I was wanting Nolan Ryan. I've definitely come off that idea.

Yeah, I don't remember anyone wanting RxRyan as our HC. I do remember folks saying how much better he was than Kubiak. That but whup'n they put on us week 1, getting to the play offs his first year, the Afc Championship game. Then following it & going 11-5, another AFC Championship game.

Rx was pretty good at blowing smoke & those guys loved having his back. But you can only bluff so long. & you can only sell snake-oil to your own people for so long.

Kubiak's been selling his snake oil to our boys for 7 years now.... let's see if they're still buying it.

Agreed

Dont worry about Tate. This is a contact yr. He's in great shape and I prdict that Foster wont last the season. But Tate will step in and show that he's an elite talent.

I just hope Arian don't take it personal if Ben is getting more carries early in the season. If we've got an early lead, I'm letting Ben & Cierre run roughshod in the second half. (Now I mean 10+ points)

There's an entire section in yesterdays ragsheet, aka: Houston Chronicle, dedicated to our Texans, with pretty good reviews on our QB, GM, and the roster. Truthfully, a pretty good read.

For all you RS fans, an entire page is dedicated to his dedication! :)

I just hope Arian don't take it personal if Ben is getting more carries early in the season. If we've got an early lead, I'm letting Ben & Cierre run roughshod in the second half. (Now I mean 10+ points)

They better. Can't run Arian to the ground. I felt like they could have given him more rest when we had big leads last season.

They better. Can't run Arian to the ground. I felt like they could have given him more rest when we had big leads last season.

While I agree, just wait til the Playoffs (if/when we make it)...

Tate/Foster will have get their carries, then come January...Foster goes for 30 carries a week.

If we have a big enough lead that we won't be passing much (you know, like 3 points, LOL), then I think Wood should get what would be considered a lot of carries for a 3rd stringer. I mean as long as he's not going to get our QB(s) killed, you know.

Gary called the shots on the 2006 draft and did better than any draft in Texans history. IMHO

Rick had nothing to do with the 2006 draft.

Contrary to popular belief the 2006 Texans was actually orchestrated by Charlie Casserly. It was Charlie who convinced Bob and Gary to pass on Reggie Bush and take Mario. And it was Charlie who talked Gary in to drafting Owen Daniels. The reason the Texans were not interested in VY and Leinart was Kubiak believed he could win a SB with David Carr and the Texans had already paid Carr a $10 million Bonus 2 months before the 06' draft.

Remember when everyone (especially here) was calling for Rex to take over from Kubiak? Yeah, no one seems to be owning up to that gem of an idea anymore. :lol:

NO, but I was calling calling for Bob McNair to HIRE Jim Harbaugh after the 2010 season (see houston texans message board). And for the record, my wish list is for Bob McNair to HIRE Oliver Luck as the GM for 2014 and David Shaw as the new Texans Head Coach in 2014.

Contrary to popular belief the 2006 Texans was actually orchestrated by Charlie Casserly. It was Charlie who convinced Bob and Gary to pass on Reggie Bush and take Mario. And it was Charlie who talked Gary in to drafting Owen Daniels. The reason the Texans were not interested in VY and Leinart was Kubiak believed he could win a SB with David Carr and the Texans had already paid Carr a $10 million Bonus 2 months before the 06' draft.

I've always heard that Bob McNair wanted Kubiak to give Carr a shot and it was a condition of the employment. Kubiak wasn't all the interested in Carr, especially after talking to him. Again, just a story I read a long time ago.

The bold has been confirmed and shows the power dynamic, i.e. Kubiak was in charge. The rest is conjecture which is unconfirmed and conflicts with other reports as well as the dynamic demonstrated by OD.

The bold has been confirmed and shows the power dynamic, i.e. Kubiak was in charge. The rest is conjecture which is unconfirmed and conflicts with other reports as well as the dynamic demonstrated by OD.

Does cherry picking go with conjecture since your cherries agree with your conjecture? There have been several confirmations and stories about the drafting Mario, not that hard to find, just need to put forth a little effort. Of all the videos, blogs and articles of Charlie explaining and discussing the 2006 draft, the Texans have never contradicted, not once, including Kubiak, Casserly's claims and explanations. They have, however, at times corroborated what Charlie had to say. I think it's also clear the Texans paid Carr his bonus within a few weeks of Kubiak being hired.

Basic logic and common sense to understand that is was Casserly, Casserly college & pro scouting departments who put together the 2006 draft. Kubiak didn't have time or people in place to do all that is needed to get ready for the draft. Kubiak had final say on players drafted but it was Casserly who provided all scouting reports and info for Kubiak to make the call or agree with Charlie. From that standpoint nothing has changed. Why Casserly also left not long after the draft. He could've taken his leave before the draft but he didn't, because he was putting the draft together.

If it was so easy then you would link it. It's your assertion. Provide a quote from the horse's mouth.

You admit Kubiak had final call - that admits the whole game. If Kubiak had wanted anyone else then he would have taken them.

Who hired the scouts is irrelevant. Nobody comes in and fires the whole scouting department after both the pro and college seasons are over.

If it was so easy then you would link it. It's your assertion. Provide a quote from the horse's mouth.

Let's start with these; http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2325442 and go to google.com and type in "Charley Casserly drafts Mario Williams" http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-casserly-tells-of-drowning-out-the-draftniks and there are many more

You admit Kubiak had final call - that admits the whole game. If Kubiak had wanted anyone else then he would have taken them. or he did listen to Charley/Scouting Departments advice

Who hired the scouts is irrelevant. Nobody comes in and fires the whole scouting department after both the pro and college seasons are over.SO KUBIAK & COACHING STAFF DIDN"T PUT THE DRAFT BOARD TOGETHER? AND IT WAS CASSERLY'S & STAFF's DRAFT BOARD?

One man's conjecture is another man's apologies and excuses. It does appear you're trying to revise history a bit and write a story that agrees with your dislike of Casserly.

One man's conjecture is another man's apologies and excuses. It does appear you're trying to revise history a bit and write a story that agrees with your dislike of Casserly.

LOL - and there you go proving your penchant for making up facts. I don't dislike Casserly.

Your articles are ridiculous. The 1st doesn't say anything about Mario. Nowhere in the 2nd does Casserly either (a) say Kubiak wanted Bush at any point or (b) take credit for convincing Kubiak to take Williams.

Your draft board comments do not reflect anything I said. There is no exclusive choice between coaches and the scouting dept. Everyone is involved.

Casserly was awful! I could care less that he hit on a couple guys over the course of 5 drafts. It took the organization 4 years to recover from the destruction he committed. He obliterated the cap by spending obscene amounts of money on guys over the hill... passed out draft picks like they were candy on Halloween (remember the 2nd and 3rd round picks for Phillip Buchanon), was duped into taking broken down players like Boselli and Young in the expansion draft... Somehow concluded that Julius Peppers was not a fit for a 3-4 defense and drafted David Carr instead- then proceeded to waste the other 10 picks from that draft.

So, an argument whether he was responsible for Mario Williams (good riddens, by the way) and/or Owen Daniels in the 2006 draft- of which only Daniels remains, is not one I would think many Texan fans are interested in.

I'm a huge fan of Gary Kubiak- that being said, I do not want Kubiak nor Casserly as the ultimate decision-maker when it comes to personnel... Since Kubiak lost that power after the 2010 6-10 fiasco, I think Smith has shown himself to be one of the best GMs in football.

I think it was just a terrible mix. Bad player selection poor player development. You don't go 2-14 without some epic fail.

So, an argument whether he was responsible for Mario Williams (good riddens, by the way) and/or Owen Daniels in the 2006 draft- of which only Daniels remains, is not one I would think many Texan fans are interested in.

The Texans ain't never hit on a second rounder like they did with Demeco Ryans from that '06 draft. Hard to believe that Casserly found him & made the decision to select him when he couldn't trade into the first to get a decent first rounder.

Casserly was awful! Somehow concluded that Julius Peppers was not a fit for a 3-4 defense and drafted David Carr instead- then proceeded to waste the other 10 picks from that draft.

I'm a huge fan of Gary Kubiak- that being said, I do not want Kubiak nor Casserly as the ultimate decision-maker when it comes to personnel... Since Kubiak lost that power after the 2010 6-10 fiasco, I think Smith has shown himself to be one of the best GMs in football.

I agree with you about Casserly, I am not a fan either. However that does not preclude me from acknowledging that it was Casserly who did orchestrate the 2006 draft and put the 2006 draft board together. I'm not a koolaid drinker.

Regarding Kubiak, he is the ultimate decision maker, he has final say on the 53 man roster, it's in his contract. He said so in a press conference at the end of the dismal 2010 season. He did not lose that power and said he would not relinquish that responsibility when he was asked.

I find it amusing how some fans say Kubiak had nothing to do with the decision to exercise the David Carr's $8 million option but has final say on everything else. Rick Smith is Kubiak's right hand, Smith does what Kubiak wants him to do. Smith was a assistant GM in Denver and it was Kubiak who hired Rick Smith. Rick Smith IS NOT a GM in the sense that Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Thomas Dimitrioff, Rick Speilman and Jerry Reese are GMs. My wish list is for Bob McNair to hire Oliver Luck as that kind of GM for the Texans.

Much of the reasoning and thinking you read and see from Texans fans who drink the koolaid is contoured around their hopes, wants and wishes for the team, not the actual facts. It's the old adage, "they only see & hear, what they want to see and hear". If the facts don't agree with their hopes, wants & wishes they're easily dismissed with apologies, excuses and opinion.

I agree with you about Casserly, I am not a fan either. However that does not preclude me from acknowledging that it was Casserly who did orchestrate the 2006 draft and put the 2006 draft board together. I'm not a koolaid drinker.

Think about this, when Charlie Casserly was the GM of the Redskins, he made the trade with Ditka and the Saints to get an ENTIRE year's set of draft picks along with some draft picks for the next year and didn't do a damned thing with it. That Redskin's team should have had such an influx of talent that it should have been a dominant team for years.

And it wasn't.

All he got out of that draft was Champ Bailey.

If you look at the history of his drafts with the Texans and the Redskins, he rarely hit on a good player. Stephen Davis, Champ Bailey, Mark Schlereth, Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson -- that might be about it.

And then you have the 2006 draft. Which was a great draft. Since 2006, the Texans have, for the most part, drafted pretty well.

It may be that Charlie Casserly was the primary force behind that 2006 draft but if so, it was a draft that looked nothing like any draft he'd ever had before.

Charley Casserly was a lame duck G.M. during the 2006 draft. I highly doubt he had more influence or power over a first time HC who was looking to build a team in his image. Houston had nothing, but crap draft after crap draft before Kubiak showed up, so I think it's pretty obvious who had the final say so in that room.

I mean we're talking about a man who spent a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings and traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Phillip @#!%ing Buchanon (when Al Davis lost his mind and was making bone headed decisions, he was still able to take ol' Charley behind the woodshed). :gun: The only reason why Casserly was even in the room during that draft was because Kubiak was given complete control and was allowed to hand pick his own GM.. after the draft, hence why Rick Smith (from Denver) is here. Kubiak was given complete control.

P.S.

I'm tired of hearing about how Kubiak signed off on Carr and talking about how he could win with him... Like anybody here has never lied on a job interview before. The #1 requirement to becoming the Texans' head coach was the resurrection of David Carr. If Kubiak told McNair that he couldn't win with Carr, I highly doubt he'd be here.

Regarding Kubiak, he is the ultimate decision maker, he has final say on the 53 man roster, it's in his contract. He said so in a press conference at the end of the dismal 2010 season. He did not lose that power and said he would not relinquish that responsibility when he was asked.

I find it amusing how some fans say Kubiak had nothing to do with the decision to exercise the David Carr's $8 million option but has final say on everything else. Rick Smith is Kubiak's right hand, Smith does what Kubiak wants him to do. Smith was a assistant GM in Denver and it was Kubiak who hired Rick Smith. Rick Smith IS NOT a GM in the sense that Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Thomas Dimitrioff, Rick Speilman and Jerry Reese are GMs. My wish list is for Bob McNair to hire Oliver Luck as that kind of GM for the Texans.

Much of the reasoning and thinking you read and see from Texans fans who drink the koolaid is contoured around their hopes, wants and wishes for the team, not the actual facts. It's the old adage, "they only see & hear, what they want to see and hear". If the facts don't agree with their hopes, wants & wishes they're easily dismissed with apologies, excuses and opinion.

It was clear to me that a power shift occurred after 2010. I do not think Kubiak has authority over all the personnel decisions anymore. No, I can't prove it.

Charley Casserly was a lame duck G.M. during the 2006 draft. I highly doubt he had more influence or power over a first time HC who was looking to build a team in his image. Houston had nothing, but crap draft after crap draft before Kubiak showed up, so I think it's pretty obvious who had the final say so in that room.

I mean we're talking about a man who spent a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings and traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Phillip @#!%ing Buchanon (when Al Davis lost his mind and was making bone headed decisions, he was still able to take ol' Charley behind the woodshed). :gun: The only reason why Casserly was even in the room during that draft was because Kubiak was given complete control and was allowed to hand pick his own GM.. after the draft, hence why Rick Smith (from Denver) is here. Kubiak was given complete control.

P.S.

I'm tired of hearing about how Kubiak signed off on Carr and talking about how he could win with him... Like anybody here has never lied on a job interview before. The #1 requirement to becoming the Texans' head coach was the resurrection of David Carr. If Kubiak told McNair that he couldn't win with Carr, I highly doubt he'd be here.

I feel no need to defend Kubiak in this area. I would expect a quarterback guru to believe he could successfully improve a young,talent at the position. Carr's issues came from a lack of commitment, I think. Once stuck working with him, it didn't take Kubiak long to figure out Carr wasn't the guy.

This illustrates why I don't like coaches as gm... Their belief in their system and teaching should cloud their assessment of players. It is the gm that needs to compare and contrast the talent available and determine what players are the best available option for the team, given the resources available.

I had a question I needed answered, and I didn't want to start a thread on it.. so maybe someone can help me

I kno Ben Tate got a lot of money coming his way after the season, so I was wondering if the Texans can use the Franchise Tag on him to keep him for another year?

I had a question I needed answered, and I didn't want to start a thread on it.. so maybe someone can help me

I kno Ben Tate got a lot of money coming his way after the season, so I was wondering if the Texans can use the Franchise Tag on him to keep him for another year?

Yes they can, but I doubt his value is very high right now. He needs another 2011 if he is to get a big payday.

That's one option. I doubt they'll use the Franchise Tag on a backup running back, though.

Back