Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Reggie bush?

The only major concern regarding Bush is that he isn't an every down back. So unless you have a big bruiser back that you can use in short yardage situations, you need to add a complimentary back who can do what Reggie can't. They tried using him on the goal line last night and failed miserably. So if you want to draft Reggie then you are saying that we should trade DD for a TJ Duckett or Brandon Jacobs type of back, plus upgraded linemen.

tulexan said:
The only major concern regarding Bush is that he isn't an every down back. So unless you have a big bruiser back that you can use in short yardage situations, you need to add a complimentary back who can do what Reggie can't. They tried using him on the goal line last night and failed miserably. So if you want to draft Reggie then you are saying that we should trade DD for a TJ Duckett or Brandon Jacobs type of back, plus upgraded linemen.

wells? 6'1 at about 250 pounds. Plus whos talking about trading DD you need two quality backs. Heck the steelers have three of them Staley, Bettis, and Parker. That kind of running attack takes pressure off your line and your passing targets, whens the last time you've seen AJ wide open. No offense, but defenses don't respect DD, they don't go into a game and say we got to find a way to stop DD. They don't say we need to be careful when we blitz, because DD might burn us for a big run. Teams look at their schedule and see us and say blitz blitz blitz, because theres not much playmaking ability on the offensive side of the ball for them to respect. Imagine burning the blitz with a couple of screen passes to bush, which he would be a threat to take it to the house at anytime. That would go a long way at keeping the defense honest and making them stay at home. The only thing DD has proven over the past 3 years is that he can't handle the load and needs someone to split carries with. He is a quality inside runner, but has no burst when he gets to the second level and doesn't have the speed to get to the outside.

Well if we draft Reggie Bush instead of a lineman, then his sack numbers will go up even more because Reggie can't block at all. He will just get run over and David will get sacked. Then we will have 2 injured players.

whos saying were not going to draft any lineman? Don't be so closed minded. This draft is full with quality lineman. I guess the jags Khalif barnes is trash because he was taken in the second round. Bush is a game breaker and would provide immediate relief and success to a team thats looking for any kind of lift or anything positive.

I just don't want this to be another year where we pick up all of these "can't miss" position players while still avoiding the biggest problem on the team. If we address the line through FA and a few high picks in the draft, then go ahead and pick Bush. But do you want another draft where we pick a RB, WR, CB, FS, and then a lineman in the 6th round? If the team believes that taking Bush #1 is the best thing for the team, then I will accept it, because he is exciting to watch and can't do any harm, but we must still be committed to fixing the line early in the draft and not say that a position player will make the line better.

hey Im with you I want to fix the line I wouldn't mind throwing a 2nd and 3rd at it. I just think all our offensive woes are not directly tied into the line. We have one playmaker on offense who can be contained by double teams a couple of more playmakers will go along way in getting this offense clicking

Well how is a guy who cant run between the tackles going to be a playmaker in the NFL? RB's at this level have to be very powerful, and Im sorry, I just dont see it in him right now.

Exactly. I do think that getting a versitile TE is very important this year too. We can't continue to have solely receiving TEs and solely blocking TEs. If we are going to use that approach we might as well just tell the defense the plays we are running. Although I would like to get D'Brick, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Bush with the first, a guard like Jean Gilles or a tackle like McNeil in the second, and then a TE like Pope in the third. Because at least we would be addressing our needs rather than drafting for depth rather than filling holes.

Carr Bomb said:
hey Im with you I want to fix the line I wouldn't mind throwing a 2nd and 3rd at it. I just think all our offensive woes are not directly tied into the line. We have one playmaker on offense who can be contained by double teams a couple of more playmakers will go along way in getting this offense clicking

I agree that he isn't going to be able to be an every down back. Who really knows what he will be? But he could be successful in a scheme where he wouldn't have to be an everydown back like Green Bay or Atlanta. A lot of teams are going to a RB by committee style game. The Texans could do it, but they would have to make some changes including upgrading the line.

Reddevil63 said:
Watching the USC/FS game has made me realize something, if Bush thinks he's going to be able to dance around like that between the tackles in the NFL, they are going to carry him off the field on a stretcher. He has to learn how to hit the hole much much faster than that.

This guy is flying through the holes. That is what he does. No one in college I have seen lately, hits the holes as fast. The cuts are generally done in the secondary, when he has guys trying to get angles on him. He can turn on a dime. Some of his runs to the outside wouldn't be as long in the NFL, but this guy turns it up field and goes. He also knows how to catch. No matter weather this guy is involved in the play or not he is a factor in most plays with regards to defense. All the talk about paying so much money for so few carries is unrealistic. The guy could run SOME, catch SOME, return SOME punts or SOME kick-offs, and general cause A LOT of problems for defensive coordinators. Right now I heard some commentary from the Texans game saying at this stage we are a running team? Sounds pretty one-dimensional to me. This guy coud add in another.

I just want to emphasize the fact that Reggie Bush plays in the Pac-10. And aside from USC, there's really been no stud defense in the Pac-10.

gg no re said:
I just want to emphasize the fact that Reggie Bush plays in the Pac-10. And aside from USC, there's really been no stud defense in the Pac-10.

The Pac-10 actually finally has some talented teams this year.

OK, I started this post and I am truely convinced that the O-Line is decent enough to add a few more O-Line players in the 2nd round or later, but if we keep Carr, you have to get him another playmaker, because Dre can not do this by him self, you see how frustrated he is getting. With no one getting open downfield, you need someone and we know who that someone is.

Whether you put him in the backfield, or you line him up in the slot, or whatever, you draft REGGIE BUSH!!!!!!!

For those of you on DD bandwagon and say Bush can not run between the tackles, you and Casserly should be on your way. He makes plays, and he is a once in an lifetime player.

He is a stud, and thats the way it is, period.

Bush with the #1 pick!!!!!!

texplayer2 said:
Its called speed and agility. Bush has both. Seems Mathis does too. What a kick-off return. Speed and Agility.

Yes, he's a bad man. That's why I changed my avatar from D'Brick to Reggie.

MorKnolle said:
The Pac-10 actually finally has some talented teams this year.
I won't argue with the Pac-10 having talented teams, but that doesn't mean anyone's put up a tough physical defense.

I don't know. My opinion on Bush as a RB will wait until the BCS game, where he will [hopefully] play against a [hopefully] tough Longhorn defense.

All I know is that right now, Bush is a VERY dangerous pick, mainly because we'll forfeit a stud OT and lay our hopes on a 2nd round pick. Not bad odds, mind you, but after all the neglect that the oline has had, it's better to overcompensate than to shoot modestly and hit low five times in a row. Knowing Casserly, I think we'll end up laying our hopes on a 4th round pick.

That's my main concern, and probably my last remark on Bush until his BCS game.

ya'll know what...the problem with this team is that we have too many holes for one to be the main problem...i think we need to pick one side of the ball to fix and fix that side of the ball before moving over to the other...with that said let's fix the offense so that we might salvage david carr...with pitts playing the way he is we do NOT need to draft a LT with the first pick...look at what we have with DD...a good solid back that is only healthy for about 2/3's of the season...if you draft bush you can play him at multiple positions...he can play the slot reciever while DD is healthy and he can play RB when he's not...reggie bush is marshall faulk...he is a special player that only come around every once in awhile...you draft reggie bush number 1 overall and fix the line and the TE position with the rest of the picks...with regards to the recievers...cut dropford if you can get reggie wayne away from indy do it...don't care about the cost we'll be cutting enough veterans to be able to afford it...plus...think about this...could you imagine having both DD and Bush in the backfield with carr at the sametime...along with andre and wayne...that would be sick...sick i tell ya

I dont care about common...HE...DD....... HAS BEEN INJURED EVERY YEAR. The End...He is still young and hasn't had a full season yet...Is that solid to you? And of course he is 60% of the offense. Thats because we weren't doing anything else.

From www.kffl.com

NCAA | Bush undecided on the NFL
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:08:29 -0800

Scott Wolf, of the Valley Tribune, reports USC junior RB Reggie Bush said he's undecided on whether he will head to the NFL next year or not. "I don't think it's too obvious what I will do because there are many factors in my decision," Bush said. "I might have surgery on my shoulder after the season, I don't know." Bush said his shoulder sometimes bothers him. He also said winning the Heisman Trophy would not cause him to automatically turn pro. "I don't know," he said. "It's a difficult decision. It wouldn't be the reason."

I"m so TOOOOOOOOOORN here. Yes Pitts looks good at LT but obviously I'd want to know can he play RT at this point. Wade looks shabby at best.

Also drafting a top flight lineman to give ourselves a DOMINANT not just good offensive line like they have in Pittsburgh might finally allow this team to develop and offensive identity as well as cut carr's sacks extremely low and allow us to take more shots down the field.

All that said I love Bush man but I'm still not convinced he should be our pick. Though if he is I won't be mad....like I was with us drafting a back-up d-lineman.

How can you pay a situational player like Bush, top 3 money? I just don't see it. He might end up being a bust like Desmond Howard.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Niners drafted Bush and their back field was Reggie Bush and Frank Gore ?

tulexan said:
Wouldn't it be funny if the Niners drafted Bush and their back field was Reggie Bush and Frank Gore ?

i guess, but i found it funnier that at one point our country was run by:
Bush, Colon, and Dick

Not sure why that would be funny.

Ogre he could be desmond howard....or he could be marshall faulk. You dont know and neither do i. Nobody knows how he or any other rook will play in the nfl when they get there. But he's proven he can play with the best of the best in college and for the most parts that is what scouts look at. In the end its all a guessing game.

Who should/are we gonna draft in the 2006 draft????????
I say Reggie Bush for sure because we could probably get some good FA olineman[by the way does anyone know what linemane will be FA this year]
But really how can you pass up on this guy hes unbelivible and im sure we could get good lineman later in the draft. Or you guys could be bad for say another 9 years and get the first pick in the 2015 draft and pick me at the number 1 pick and i will lead us to a :trophy: :texflag:

TheOgre said:
How can you pay a situational player like Bush, top 3 money? I just don't see it. He might end up being a bust like Desmond Howard.

I love D'Brickashaw, and I would be happy with him, but we got Pitts, my new hero. I see a huge problem with this Offense because no one gets open. If no one is open, how in the world can you throw a ball anywhere. If you get Bush with Dre and Mathis, you know you have defenses going, "Holy Crap!" He is a huge playmaker, and that is what we need, so we go get him if we got the #1. He will open up passes for Dre, and Dre will open up passes for him. We don't know what kind of Back he will be either, bt I know what I see on saturdays, and it is absolutely amazing what he does every saturday. Let this guy come in and compete for RB or WR. Heaven forbid if someone comes in here and makes DD a backup. I would love to have that problem on this team. Heck, look at KC and Denver, I want their problems.

The line is looking alot better, so you add some O-Line guys from draft or FA and you give David at least one more year, and if nothing comes out of it, you tell him to have a nice life and we get a new QB.

It has been a long time since a player came out of college who can touch the ball and then magic things happen, lets not pass on him like we passed on Derrick Johnson, or the crap we pulled with Babin or Buc.

Let's get a guy who we can follow and extremely support on this team, because I really can't find a leader or superstar on the Texans, and by God, we desperately need one!!!

Bush in April 06!!!:texflag:

Adding D'Brick would open up this offense. How fast did they say that Carr was getting the ball out of his hands? 1.5 seconds? And they said that the average quarterback has 3 seconds. I'm not saying that Offensive Line is the only problem that this team has, but it is definitely the most glaring need. If we go out and get a LT or if we think that Pitts is our future at LT then we get a RT in the offseason then I am all for getting Reggie Bush.

tulexan said:
Adding D'Brick would open up this offense. How fast did they say that Carr was getting the ball out of his hands? 1.5 seconds? And they said that the average quarterback has 3 seconds. I'm not saying that Offensive Line is the only problem that this team has, but it is definitely the most glaring need. If we go out and get a LT or if we think that Pitts is our future at LT then we get a RT in the offseason then I am all for getting Reggie Bush.
I completely agree.

tulexan said:
Bush will be like a Warrick Dunn or Brian Westbrook type of player. Both are great players, but not worth a #1 overall pick

The downplaying of players has begun...if anyone thinks that Bush is not the #1 pick in the draft, I'd advise them to look again. Uhh...Barry Sanders doesn't run between the tackles and uhh...where did Westbrook and and Dunn go in their drafts again? Calling Reggie Bush Westbrook or Dunn is just silly...

Brick MAY be the #1 LT in the draft. The general consensus is there is not much difference between him and 6 other LT's. The 1st RD is deep - you do NOT use the #1 on Brick. You trade it or you take the playmaker - there are your options.

not many reasonable people are suggesting taking a OL first overall. Instead, many are warming to the idea of one or two trade downs until about pick 8.

DRAMA said:
The downplaying of players has begun...if anyone thinks that Bush is not the #1 pick in the draft, I'd advise them to look again. Uhh...Barry Sanders doesn't run between the tackles and uhh...where did Westbrook and and Dunn go in their drafts again? Calling Reggie Bush Westbrook or Dunn is just silly...

Brick MAY be the #1 LT in the draft. The general consensus is there is not much difference between him and 6 other LT's. The 1st RD is deep - you do NOT use the #1 on Brick. You trade it or you take the playmaker - there are your options.
Barry Sanders wasn't the top pick in his draft (nor should he have been).

Bottom line, there's a bigger drop-off in talent from 1st and 2nd round OL's than there is in 1st and 2nd round RB's. Why settle on one playmaker that would fill a need when you can get two playmakers that can fill two needs?

Huge said:
Barry Sanders wasn't the top pick in his draft (nor should he have been).

Bottom line, there's a bigger drop-off in talent from 1st and 2nd round OL's than there is in 1st and 2nd round RB's. Why settle on one playmaker that would fill a need when you can get two playmakers that can fill two needs?

post of the morning!

Huge said:

I wonder if it just the nature of the positions? on one hand you have 6-5+ 300lbs+ monster alpha males who become specialized in blocking other freaks of nature as oppossed to all the guys who want to be that star RB, average male size acorss the country 5'8-6'2" 180-225 lbs.

We have had this discussion before regarding RB talent from the 1st rd to the 2nd and we have both had valid points but for every Steven Jackson there is two Julius Jones & Marion Barbers. so I can buy this arguement, however we are talking about a special class, identifying them & situating them is another thing. in the Texans case the situation dictates the need to address option two, aquiring multiple picks to address more needs than one single part :cool:

uhcougar08 said:
I love D'Brickashaw, and I would be happy with him, but we got Pitts, my new hero.

Pitts has done well since he took over. However, he has done that with this flat pass, dink and dunk offense. What happens when we really start to try to pass the ball? Will he once again become the penalty machine we have seen in the past? If not, will he be dominant? I like Pitts, but I don't like him as our OLT. I think Pitts could be a hell of a player at RT. He is merely adequate right now, but I want more than "adequate" out of my team's LT. It is the single most important line position, and it requires an early draft pick investment to find a stud (look around the league and you will notice most of the best LT's are top 10 selections). With a stud LT, we won't be as limited in our play selection.

This team has struggled for four years to find a semblance of an O-line. This is the best crop of 1st round OT's in years. I just cannot see how we can pass on this opportunity. Our track record with 2nd and 3rd round picks doesn't make me excited about passing on a LT in the 1st. Do you really want to see Bush streaking down the field on a pass route and looking back only to see Carr sacked for the 5th time before halftime? I've had enough of this O-line. There really is no point in building a castle of gold (skill positions) when the foundation is made out of quicksand (O-line).

beerlover said:
however we are talking about a special class, identifying them & situating them is another thing. in the Texans case the situation dictates the need to address option two, aquiring multiple picks to address more needs than one single part :cool:
Agreed wholeheartedly.

I'm all for moving down. Especially in a talent laden draft where you can avoid having to shell out $50 million for the top pick and still get a player (or two) with equal value.

Ive been one of the proponents of taking an LT in round one even if its in the top three picks But the past couple of weeks have changed my thinking completely . After watching Reggie Bush almost single hadedly beat Fresno St late Saturday night Im ALMOST convinced that he should be the Texans number one selection (pending he comes out early) .

Before you call me crazy ... This team has too many holes to fill in one offseason . Lets take care of one side of the ball at a time ...

Reggie Bush FITS David Carr and Andre Johnson and would allow them to use an offense more suitable to their strengths . Teams will no longer be able to double and tripple team Johnson . Nor will they be so inclined to blitz as the Texans would have two players capable of taking it to the house on any given play .... one broken tackle and its 6 .

Sure they would pass on a potential "Franchise LT" but ....

Chester Pitts is a very capable at LT and should only get better ... moving Mckinney from the center position to LG was ALMOST the right move , I'd rather have seen him on the bench .... too bad Drew Hodgdon got hurt

Milford Brown needs to be replaced as well there is NO other team in the NFL which he would start . Im sure they could find a suitable replacement in rounds 2-4 or again via free agency .

The other position this team is lacking is TE could be filled in rounds 2-4 or via free agency ...
Bruener has been a failure since coming from Pitt. and is used more like a Full Back than a TE .
Joppru has been a complete bust and should NOT be considered when next seasons roster is being made up .... let him come in and compete for a roster spot but under no circumstances count on him to be the starter next season .

Getting a playmaker like Reggie Bush , Pitts at LT , a capable TE and LG would pretty much take care of the offensive problems for this team and in the very least would give David Carr and his offensive counterparts enough weapons that he/they would have no excuse for not showing vast improvement .

We can deal with the defensive deficiencies next year .

Someone here actually knows what they are alking about, good job.

You cant get this great line and pass to no one because other than Dre, everyone else sucks, period.

uhcougar08 said:
Someone here actually knows what they are alking about, good job.

You cant get this great line and pass to no one because other than Dre, everyone else sucks, period.

You can't get this great skill position player and try to pass to him when you QB is on the ground either.

Off-Topic: I thought the general consensus was that Jerome Mathis was to be our secondary playmaker besides Dre.

He could be. But 90% of rookie WRs are going to struggle initially. Even moreso in this offense when the star WR (Johnson) is struggling.

TheOgre said:
You can't get this great skill position player and try to pass to him when you QB is on the ground either.

I DEFINATELY think they need to upgrade the O-line .... as you can see from my last post in this thread . Ive been saying this for the better part of the last three seasons . But I think they could do that in the second thru fourth rounds or maybe sign a free agent or two .

The more I watch Reggie Bush the more im convinced he's a special player and passing on him would be pure ignorance .

Back