Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Reggie bush?

I know the Texans probably won't pick reggie bush especially if casserly is still there... I can give him picking D.Carr and not J.Peppers, but with all that talent and our teams needs how he came to the conclusion we needed Travis Johnson is beyond me. I would really like to see Reggie Bush in a Texans uni next season but D'Brick would't be a horrible pick either...either way they should win

rmartin65 said:
Hines Ward was a jack of all trades and it worked for the Steelers right?

I don't think there was any serious doubt Ward was going to be a WR in the NFL, he was a 3rd rounder (gambling territory vs. the #1 pick) and I wouldn't pay $9.1 mil per year for Hines Ward even after his 3 pro-bowl appearances.

9.1 million can get you a lot of help this offseason. If you want a RB so badly, look for Edge, maybe even Alexander. Last offseason they could have been had for around that and a second rounder.

YoungTexanFan said:
9.1 million can get you a lot of help this offseason. If you want a RB so badly, look for Edge, maybe even Alexander. Last offseason they could have been had for around that and a second rounder.

Just want to point out that if we drafted Bush at #1 we wouldn't pay him $9 million a year, that kind of salary only goes to QBs, not RBs, even at the #1 spot.

MorKnolle said:
Just want to point out that if we drafted Bush at #1 we wouldn't pay him $9 million a year, that kind of salary only goes to QBs, not RBs, even at the #1 spot.

the number one pick in the NFL will get at least 10 - 12 million. I don't care if he is a RB or a LT or a QB or a MLB or a CB etc.....etc....etc.... I would even think that 15 -20 million is not out of the question so prepare yourself :howdy:

MorKnolle said:

That simply isn't how it is done anymore which is why you don't see many players but QB's at the top--they are the only ones teams want to spend that kind of money on. Players are slotted by draft position plus about a 10% bump from the prior year. You really don't see any cases where the contracts in the 1st round are out of order i.e. the 4th guy getting more money than the 3rd. The team with the #1 pick will end up paying for the slot or their brand new shiny draft pick will be sitting at home holding out for the year.

infantrycak said:
That simply isn't how it is done anymore which is why you don't see many players but QB's at the top--they are the only ones teams want to spend that kind of money on. Players are slotted by draft position plus about a 10% bump from the prior year. You really don't see any cases where the contracts in the 1st round are out of order i.e. the 4th guy getting more money than the 3rd. The team with the #1 pick will end up paying for the slot or their brand new shiny draft pick will be sitting at home holding out for the year.

A RB drafted #1 will not get a 5-6 year $60 million like the trend has been going for QBs. You are right that most people pick QBs that high because they are the only ones they want to pay that much, but still if a RB goes #1 I would be shocked if they gave him more than a $40 million contract, which is still a lot of money.

MorKnolle said:
A RB drafted #1 will not get a 5-6 year $60 million like the trend has been going for QBs. You are right that most people pick QBs that high because they are the only ones they want to pay that much, but still if a RB goes #1 I would be shocked if they gave him more than a $40 million contract, which is still a lot of money.

The Dolphins got into a fight with Ronnie Brown about not wanting to pay him #2 money. They did in the end. Same thing with Cedric Benson. They got #2 and #4 money, not something lower than #3 WR Braylon Edwards. The year before Sean Taylor got #5 money which put him instantly into the league as the highest paid safety.

Well we know there is always an increase (inflation) over the previous year's #1 pick. So you sorta have to base it around that and position does matter believe it or not but draft spot matters more.

I think NONE of us know if Reggie Bush can be a full time back. I'm nto sure how ya'll can say if he can do everything how he isnt a every down back.

Is marshall faulk not one b/c he can do everything? (No I'm not comparing the two).

Warrick Dunn would be a better example. Atlanta has allowed him to be the every down back spelled with duckett and he's doing just fine.

I think a combination of Bush and Wells would be wonderful with Morency or Davis being our 3rd down back or WHATEVER BACK.

ALL THAT SAID....DRAFT A LINEMAN.

Warrick Dunn would be a better example. Atlanta has allowed him to be the every down back spelled with duckett and he's doing just fine.

Exactly what I was thinking if Dunn can be stellar then Bush should be a great one barring injury. The Texans would never draft him though our pick could be the most telegraphed of all time. The line is a nationwide joke that must be addressed. I'm sure the staff had the 2006 draft in mind for putting an o-line together. Unfortunately for them that is probably way too late.

Warrick Dunn is the beneficiary of having Michael Vick in the backfield. You tell me you wouldn't hesitate to spot the bootleg.

Add to the fact that aside from Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, and Washington, there exists no real defense in the NFC in the past 3 years.

Reggie Bush would be a dangerous playmaker, but he's not an NFL-calibre running back. I consider him the BPA of the draft, but that just makes him a want. The Texans have needs.

He also benefits from having TJ Duckett have 10-15 carries a game along with Michael Vick scrambling.

gg no re said:
Reggie Bush would be a dangerous playmaker, but he's not an NFL-calibre running back. I consider him the BPA of the draft, but that just makes him a want. The Texans have needs.
Oh My!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me????? NOT an nfl caliber player???? This has to be the most ignorant statement as of this date....

Not only do WE need him, I will be mad if we dont get him. Pick up O-Linemen in the 2nd round of every draft and we would not be having this discussion. RBush will take so much off of Carr and the O-Linemen, it's not even funny....

HomeBred_Texan said:
Pick up O-Linemen in the 2nd round of every draft and we would not be having this discussion.

But we didn't, and that is why we need to address the position now.

tulexan said:
But we didn't, and that is why we need to address the position now.
Not when we have the number 1 overall pick. You take the BEST Player available period. That is what Super Bowl teams are made of...

That's right Super Bowl teams are made of the Best Player available. But Super Bowl teams also don't have gaping holes in their offensive line. We do.

tulexan said:
That's right Super Bowl teams are made of the Best Player available. But Super Bowl teams also don't have gaping holes in their offensive line. We do.
What exactly makes a good O-Line???

Patching people togeather or playing the same ones over and over until they "season" togeather. Again, coaching plays a big part in this and we have not had the right ones... We don't have allot of gapping holes to fill as you try and suggest. 1 pro-bowler in the back field can change the whole team around, not 1 lineman...

Well that back won't be a pro-bowler behind our line. I'm not saying that one lineman will completely change the line, but he will help a lot. We need to draft a few linemen this year or sign some through FA. Our rushing game is fine considering the bad offensive line we have and it will only get better once we address our biggest hole. If we had to choose any skill position I would go with a TE or a #2 WR. We have to give the opposing defenses reasons not to double AJ every single play and right now we have none.

infantrycak said:
Just don't see it. What position is Bush going to play? Is he magically going to become an every down back in the NFL after not doing it in college? He may be the best KR/PR and slot WR ever, but is that worth #1 or #2? Fantastic athlete--just don't see where he fits for that kind of projected cap money.

Agreed. I believe RB is a function of a great college player on a great college team. I don't see Tony Dorsett, whom although light, was a ferrocious running back for his size. We have a nice stable of running backs. I see RB as a three season chandlier and a cap heart ache. JMHO. I'm preying untill May that this team dosen't make that error.

uhcougar08 said:
Do yall honestly believe DD is a true running back or is he a system back?
We have one playmaker on our team and he has been hurt for a few games, why cant we have another?
DD is not a playmaker and Bush is, I think that is what we need.
Is DD is so dog gone special, why did we draft a RB in the third round, and isnt DD injury prone just a little bit?
So you complain about DD not being durable enough, than you want to select a guy who gets about 10-15 carries a game, most of them off tackle or on sweeps... how can you not see the contradiction in that?:brickwall

uhcougar08 said:
Thank You, I just wanted an opionion, not start a war. Im not saying DD is terrible, but with our zone blocking, is he a system back in that scenario. I am refering the Denver Broncos and the numerous high yardage backs they have produced from zone blocking.

What is wrong with Bush as like an LT type, the man has serious break away speed, something none of our RB's have.
How many times have you seen DD breake one that you though would go for a long TD run, only to be caught? From my memory, it only happned once, ahainst Tennesse, and that wsa sitll a 44 yd gain. What that tells you is that our o-line does not allow for many big plays. Ussually DD has to make a cut before the line of scrimmage because there is penetration or the hole is not there. Bassically, a RB for our Texans has to pick and choose and work for every single yard. From what I have seen of Bush, I am sure he would take a couple 70 yds for a TD, but he would have a lot of runs for -5 yds trying to make something happen, but having no where to go because of our line... Bush could be a great player in the NFL, but we are not the team to tap his potential..

xtruroyaltyx said:
and another thing everyone is saying DD is such a solid running back....this guy is injured every year...
he represents 60% of our offensive production... by the way, the injury he has is common for NFL running backs when they get a lot of carries..

run-david-run said:

Someone said that Reggie Bush may be one of the greatest KR/PR ever, and I was simply stating that Maurice Drew is a better PR than Reggie Bush. And considering that I quoted the message I was referencing, this should have been obvious.

ThaShark316 said:
I know Winston was getting abused by FSU...on the flip side..who wasn't getting abused on that Miami o-line by those Seminoles?

About El Presidente...I would like to have him...reason...because of Dominick. If DD gets banged up and can't go a few games, we can put Bush at RB....and ya'll know Reggie going to be HELLBENT on proving people wrong. Personally, I think he CAN carry the ball 20+ times...reason he doesnt do it @ USC, is really because he doesn't have to, thanks to one LenDale White. Whoever drafts Bush will get a guy who plays in the slot AND who gets about 10-15 maybe 20 carries a week.

It really depends on that team's RBs and their offense.
I agree with that, I just dont think that the Texans fit him right now. This could all change if we get a new coach, but right now, the Texans would be the absoulte worst team for Bush to go to...

xtruroyaltyx said:
The problem with Davis is..he isnt explosive enough to be a starting running back...he would be a good second stringer...but he doesn't have the ability to score from anywhere on the field, and there aren't too many teams that don't have a starting running back that can do that.
Emmitt Smith was nowhere near the fastest guy on the field, he is currently the NFL's leading rusher. Its not all about 40 times...

HomeBred_Texan said:
Not when we have the number 1 overall pick. You take the BEST Player available period. That is what Super Bowl teams are made of...
How did you possibly come to that conclusion?

Super Bowl teams draft to their need areas, they dont get attracted by media hype.

run-david-run said:
How did you possibly come to that conclusion?

Super Bowl teams draft to their need areas, they dont get attracted by media hype.

I completely agree. Super Bowl teams draft positions that they have holes in. The Lions and the Jaguars draft hyped up players that they don't need.

tulexan said:
I completely agree. Super Bowl teams draft positions that they have holes in. The Lions and the Jaguars draft hyped up players that they don't need.

Yes, and the steelers have been drafting very well also. Cincy and Dallas have drafted very well the past few years as well, and look at them now.

The browns and seahawks are quite possibly the 2 worst teams when it comes to the NFL draft.

Watching the USC/FS game has made me realize something, if Bush thinks he's going to be able to dance around like that between the tackles in the NFL, they are going to carry him off the field on a stretcher. He has to learn how to hit the hole much much faster than that.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Reggie is a great player, and this game might have sealed up a heisman for him, but he still does not run in between the tackles and when he does, he dances around well before hitting the hole. He may be a good player in the NFL, a Warrick Dunn type, but until he is able to run between the tackles and not just an outside runner, he will not be a very successful running back. He might have highlight runs every once in a while on Sportscenter, but he won't be leading the league in anything.

tulexan said:
I was actually thinking the same thing. Reggie is a great player, and this game might have sealed up a heisman for him, but he still does not run in between the tackles and when he does, he dances around well before hitting the hole. He may be a good player in the NFL, a Warrick Dunn type, but until he is able to run between the tackles and not just an outside runner, he will not be a very successful running back. He might have highlight runs every once in a while on Sportscenter, but he won't be leading the league in anything.

Absolutley agree. Bush is very exciting, but to pick him up with the first pick is a stretch when he is not on the field for goal line situations for his own team.

I do understand my expectations are out of whack for the 1st pick of the draft, see my posts about DC, but when you make this investment you should get the best all around player, at least at their position, who has the ability to go on every down.

HomeBred_Texan said:
Oh My!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me????? NOT an nfl caliber player???? This has to be the most ignorant statement as of this date....

Reggie Bush would be a dangerous playmaker, but he's not an NFL-calibre running back.

There's a difference between player and running back.

A player doesn't need to take many hits. A running back does have to take many hits. Bush looks like he has to take many hits if he wants to be an NFL-calibre running back.

Many of the carries that Bush busted for long gains against Fresno were between the tackles.

However, he never really got touched in any of those carries. :)

Chris Mortensen just said on ESPN that if the Texans or the Niners have the #1 pick then he is almost a lock to be #1. Maybe Mort read that article in the Chronicle the other day.

I've been saying all along that the Texans have to take the top LT available. Now I'm not so sure. With the performance Pitts had against Freeney... if he can continue to play like that for the rest of the season, then I think we already have a stud left tackle. Reggie Bush looked amazing last night and I really hope the Texans arent in the possition to get a player of his callibar for a long, long time. So now I say, if we have the top pick, we take Reggie Bush! :yahoo:

We should try to get D'Bricashaw Ferguson and/or Eric Winston, then go for LaCharles Bentley, I dont see the point in picking up Bush without addressing our O-Line, he's good, but he's not Superman, it would just ruin this kids career. :twocents:

Johnny Utah said:
Many of the carries that Bush busted for long gains against Fresno were between the tackles.

However, he never really got touched in any of those carries. :)
He may have gone to the inside of a tackle, but lose long runs were still designed to go outside. The runs I saw that were actually designed to go inside, Bush danced around trying to break the long run instead of hitting the hole and getting 5 yards. It didnt work against Fresno State, and it sure as hell wont work against NFL defenders.

That is something that really annoys me with RBs. Good RBs will shoot through the hole like a bullet, not dance around in the back field.

Fresno State was pretty impressive last night. I think they are making some big strides to becoming an elite team.

tulexan said:
Fresno State was pretty impressive last night. I think they are making some big strides to becoming an elite team.
Ya, its going to be a shame they are going to lose spots in the polls, if anything they should jump up a few.

I don't think they will drop much if at all. If anything, this game proved that they deserved to be at 16 rather than schools like Texas Tech or Louisville.

He was amazing. It was one of the most impressive performances I have ever seen. BUT...when watching the NFL games today, you see how much faster defenses are getting to the outside rush. He isn't going to be able to run by everyone in the NFL because there are defensive players who are just as big and fast as he is. Kind of like how the option is never successful in the NFL. Defenses are just way too fast to consistently beat them with an option play. That is going to be the main problem that he is going to have.

Reddevil63 said:
Watching the USC/FS game has made me realize something, if Bush thinks he's going to be able to dance around like that between the tackles in the NFL, they are going to carry him off the field on a stretcher. He has to learn how to hit the hole much much faster than that.

I agree. He tries to dance around in the backfield when there isnt a huge hole for him to run through. In the NFL those are going to turn into big losses.

We don't know what he would be like in the NFL truly speaking. I think he's a smart enough player to adjust to his competition around him. If he can dance he'll dance if he needs to hit a hole he will.

Barry (no they aren't the same) danced quite a bit himself back in the day so don't say just b/c a RB doesn't HIT the hole he can't be successful.

Texas_Thrill said:
We don't know what he would be like in the NFL truly speaking. I think he's a smart enough player to adjust to his competition around him. If he can dance he'll dance if he needs to hit a hole he will.

Barry (no they aren't the same) danced quite a bit himself back in the day so don't say just b/c a RB doesn't HIT the hole he can't be successful.

exactly you just took the words right out of my mouth. Also I find it funny people knock him for dancing around defenders or taking the ball to the outside and running around them. I mean why wouldn't he do that, athleticly he is on a entire different field then the players around him. when he gets to the pro game he'll have to make adjustments just like every other player drafted before him. Its also funny how people say he's not a 25-30 carry back, he doesn't have to be. There really isn't many 30 carry backs anymore. If you look at the teams that are having success most have a double threat in the backfield. Also I think Reggies lack of carries has more to do with the fact that Pete Carrol does a great job of feeding everyone's egos on that team and he does a great job of making sure everybody gets their numbers. If Reggie played on a less talented team his carries would go up, but you saw who they went to when the chips were down and they needed the lead. the only reason they have been able to keep this streak alive is Reggie. He won them the ND game and won them the game last night. Also I don't know why people say he doesn't fit in our system. I think he's a perfect fit, could you imagine him catching passes out of the backfield instead of DD. People have said that teams would rather have DD catch those passes because they can keep the play in front of them and prevent long gains and they allow us those plays. If they allow Reggie to catch passes in the open field he is going to tear them up. He would easily become Carr's favorite target and when you line him up in the slot no more double downs on AJ.

Bush is a great RB, and will do fine in the NFL. However is the Texans grab him then they still have a big O-Line problem. Hard to run with no holes. Hopefully they'll finally bulk up at O-Line.

Really wouldn't say we have no holes that horrible run blocking line allowed a former 4th round pick to post back to back 1000 yard seasons, even with being injured. I'm all for drafting lineman this draft is supposed to be deep with them.

Back