Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rebuilding this team

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Now you're giving Florio credit for having meaningful insight?
I'm just saying he put it out there.

It had to come from somebody unless you just think he's making stuff up.

I dont think he is. If you do then you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
You want to send an elite franchise QB to a team you play two times a year?
yeah u gotta roll the dice watson will be on a bad jags team tho and i think a trevor led texans team could beat anybody including watson and the jags

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'm just saying he put it out there.

It had to come from somebody unless you just think he's making stuff up.

I dont think he is. If you do then you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
I think he's speculating again, just like you do. He's been proven to be full of hot air before...

Bluehen Texan

Waterboy
I'm really ok to see what a new GM and coach will do with what they can work with. I like Watson and want to see what he can do with the right cast..
Me too. I hate to admit to myself that we have to go through hell to get through hell. Next year is going to be painful but at least we’ll have draft picks to show for it afterward. Go 2023.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You keep stating it as if it's fact and not crediting Florio... as it's your own thoughts
I thought somewhere in this I stated I credited PFT and Florio.

Florio reported this. That's a fact.

Is this good enough for you?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Why do you think he asked for a trade?
He didn’t ask for a trade.

It was “reported” that Watson may have spoken to teammates quietly that he could possibly ask for a trade.

"Rumors already are circulating," Mike Florio writes. "And we’ve already heard them from multiple different people, that Watson has quietly broached with teammates the possibility of requesting a trade.”

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
“Individual Advisors.”

Not committee.

They called it a search committee.

Cal/ Easterby/DW4/Pancakes

If you want to play semantics fine. He told other players he would like to be traded and hasn't said anything to mg mt yet. Also he was an advisor and Cal chose not to take DW4's advice.

badboy

Hall of Fame
yeah u gotta roll the dice watson will be on a bad jags team tho and i think a trevor led texans team could beat anybody including watson and the jags
I agree with you but Jags prob like Trevor plus the other picks they have over Watson but I could be wrong.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He didn’t ask for a trade.

It was “reported” that Watson may have spoken to teammates quietly that he could possibly ask for a trade.

"Rumors already are circulating," Mike Florio writes. "And we’ve already heard them from multiple different people, that Watson has quietly broached with teammates the possibility of requesting a trade.”

There have been updates that Watson did contact team owners quietly about trade; add that to CAL allegedly reaching out to Watson without response.

Texansballer74

The Marine
So when Watson allegedly spoke to a teammate or two. Did one or both of them quickly called Florio with the hot news? Why didn’t they call Uncle Shay, Loud mouth Steven A, Skip!! Bayless or M&M Nick?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
They called it a search committee.

Cal/ Easterby/DW4/Pancakes

If you want to play semantics fine. He told other players he would like to be traded and hasn't said anything to mg mt yet. Also he was an advisor and Cal chose not to take DW4's advice.
DW4 never said he told his teammates that he requested a trade. If he said anything to a teammate it was “he could possibly request a trade.” Per Florio. And he “quietly suggested it”. So I think they were in a library or something.

That’s not semantics.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
DW4 never said he told his teammates that he requested a trade. If he said anything to a teammate it was “he could possibly request a trade.” Per Florio. And he “quietly suggested it”. So I think they were in a library or something.

That’s not semantics.
In a library

LOL

Good stuff

badboy

Hall of Fame
There are comments on all the major news sources for sports PFF, ESPN, Fox sports, Yahoo sports, the local radio stations, people in New York and Florida, etc. it's all over everywhere. Does not make any of it true but it is conversation. People can either Believe it or disbelieve it or just want to wait and see. But it is conversation that may or may not lead to DeShaun leaving Houston.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There are comments on all the major news sources for sports PFF, ESPN, Fox sports, Yahoo sports, the local radio stations, people in New York and Florida, etc. it's all over everywhere. Does not make any of it true but it is conversation. People can either Believe it or disbelieve it or just want to wait and see. But it is conversation that may or may not lead to DeShaun leaving Houston.
No, there are no sources saying Watson spoke to anyone in the FO since Caserio was brought to Houston.

None.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Watson is on vacation with his hot girlfriend and recovering from an underwhelming season by the team. Is Watson pissed b/c he feels the difference between the Texans being a 4 win team versus a 11 win team is a GM and HC? Or, like Watt.....Watson doesn't want to waste his career with the Texans like Watt did and as he knows Andre Johnson did. And/or Watson is realizing he's about to burn the another 2 seasons up for an organizational effort at an express rebuild? He saw how Hopkins got out and may be using a similar effort to push himself out as well.

badboy

Hall of Fame
No, there are no sources saying Watson spoke to anyone in the FO since Caserio was brought to Houston.

None.
TK come on you know individuals inside the Texans organization and other sports franchises are sources all the time. They just don't like the reports to come back to them. The Texans do leak info to certain people who report it. That is happen for you. That is how basketball and NFL work all the time. Certainly there are reporters, analysts and Talking Heads who make up stuff but that does not mean there are not things being said between Watson and the administration. DeShaun being on vacation does not have anything to do with him or his Representatives making contact with The Texans. Cal McNair would be a source and he did say that he has reached out to Watson and has not received any Reply. Maybe not to you but it does indicate to me that McNair is at least aware of DeShaun Watson possible unhappiness. It would seem logical that if DeShaun was not unhappy all he or if he was too occupied in Mexico his Agent to pick up the phone and say Cal no worries!

badboy

Hall of Fame
Watson is on vacation with his hot girlfriend and recovering from an underwhelming season by the team. Is Watson pissed b/c he feels the difference between the Texans being a 4 win team versus a 11 win team is a GM and HC? Or, like Watt.....Watson doesn't want to waste his career with the Texans like Watt did and as he knows Andre Johnson did. And/or Watson is realizing he's about to burn the another 2 seasons up for an organizational effort at an express rebuild? He saw how Hopkins got out and may be using a similar effort to push himself out as well.
Yep and they do have cell phone and Wi-Fi connectivity in Mexico the last I heard.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
TK come on you know individuals inside the Texans organization and other sports franchises are sources all the time.
There isn’t a source reporting even rumors of contact between Watson & the Texans since Caserio had been in Houston. If you are saying there is such a report we’re asking you to produce a link.

badboy

Hall of Fame
There isn’t a source reporting even rumors of contact between Watson & the Texans since Caserio had been in Houston. If you are saying there is such a report we’re asking you to produce a link.
First as has been said rumors, innuendos and one source quoting another that quoted another. Stale info often but many think "smoke.. fire". Much is clickbait.

The added tension has now led to trade rumors. There have been reports that Watson has quietly asked for a trade from the organization. Pro Football Talk reporter Mike Florio reported that it was a possibility.

Rumors already are circulating, and we’ve already heard from multiple different people, that Watson has quietly broached with teammates the possibility of requesting a trade,” Florio wrote in a Thursday report. “If that’s happening, it may just be a strategic effort to ensure his views are respected by ownership. Regardless, it raises the stakes and crosses a bridge and potentially sets the foundation for Watson eventually to decide that he’d like to continue his career elsewhere.”
Also from Florio: Watson discussing with players (but not Texans). Rumors but sometimes rumors lead to truth. From 247sports. Steven Taranto
From Fanduel
According to multiple reports, Watson is upset with the Texans’ brass for failing to include him in the process of hiring new general manager Nick Caserio. It is now apparent that Watson’s cryptic Tuesday night tweet which set off mild panic within the fanbase was indeed directed at the team.

Per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Watson has not spoken to Houston’s front office in the last few days, although members of the organization have tried to call him.
bold could indicate he had talked recently and stopped after the hiring of Caserio. It might not but it could. https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-south/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-reportedly-hasnt-spoken-to-texans-front-office-in-days

Again I am not saying Dashaun asked for a trade but sources are saying he did.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Again I am not saying Dashaun asked for a trade but sources are saying he did.
I’m not following. Are you saying that if he said, “I don’t know Keke, I might ask for a trade.”

that constitutes as asking for a trade? Because everything you posted pretty much saysDW4 has not spoken to the Texans.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m not following. Are you saying that if he said, “I don’t know Keke, I might ask for a trade.”

that constitutes as asking for a trade? Because everything you posted pretty much saysDW4 has not spoken to the Texans.
I am saying it is possible He talked to players about why he is upset. "They told me they would listened to my input. They told me they were changing "culture" and how they have historically done things. They gave me millions and want me to be face of the team but look what they did. I am not happy. What do you guys think about me asking out of here to where I am appreciated?" I think JJ Watt could be of those players and I think they both respect each other. Add in the dynamic if not necessarily understood tweets recently and a year ago IIRC. I think it is possible Dashaun's unhappiness was made known whether he called or emailed or texted CAL or not. McNair saying he has reached out to Watson with no reply from #4 does not say Dashaun asked for a trade but does indicate if not resolved it could lead to DW forcing his way out. I still believe he is PO about Hop.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
TK come on you know individuals inside the Texans organization and other sports franchises are sources all the time. They just don't like the reports to come back to them. The Texans do leak info to certain people who report it. That is happen for you. That is how basketball and NFL work all the time. Certainly there are reporters, analysts and Talking Heads who make up stuff but that does not mean there are not things being said between Watson and the administration. DeShaun being on vacation does not have anything to do with him or his Representatives making contact with The Texans. Cal McNair would be a source and he did say that he has reached out to Watson and has not received any Reply. Maybe not to you but it does indicate to me that McNair is at least aware of DeShaun Watson possible unhappiness. It would seem logical that if DeShaun was not unhappy all he or if he was too occupied in Mexico his Agent to pick up the phone and say Cal no worries!
I wouldn't if I was Watson and I would advise against it if I was his agent.

Let me lay a scenario out for you.

Watson is chilling in Cabo pretending that football is still just something he plays for fun when he hears the news about Caserio. Maybe he's pissed, maybe he's not but either way he's already got people blowing up his phone asking what he thinks. Now Watson wants more say in who his HC will be, any QB would, and he knows he can use this just by going radio silent. Maybe he could, and does, send sends out another cryptic tweet because he saw what happened with his last one after Hopkins was traded. Or maybe while checking his phone to catch up he learns about the Blake ruling or maybe he sees how close the Georgia run off is or maybe he realizes he can kill a bunch of birds with one tweet. So he sends out another cryptic tweet that says nothing and can apply to everything from wanting a trade to him naming his favorite song from Frozen 2. (I have a two year old and lots of young nieces and nephews so yes I know the Disney songs that well.)

Then he just sits back and lets the media do what they do and run wild with the story and do his job for him. Texans start to feel pressured because they finally got the GM they have been chasing 3 years and first thing that happens is a national story that Watson is unhappy and wants out. Plus has them on the hook with a big contract and a no trade clause so its not like they can do anything to him. Meanwhile Watson has full plausible deniability because he told them he would be out of pocket and he didn't mean that tweet directed at the Texans it was just unlucky timing and "Oh by the way guys, about that HC search I have a few people I'd like to suggest that I thought up while in Cabo."

I have zero proof of any of this but then no one has had any proof about anything really so why should that get in the way of a good story.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Quoted for truth

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't if I was Watson and I would advise against it if I was his agent.

Let me lay a scenario out for you.

Watson is chilling in Cabo pretending that football is still just something he plays for fun when he hears the news about Caserio. Maybe he's pissed, maybe he's not but either way he's already got people blowing up his phone asking what he thinks. Now Watson wants more say in who his HC will be, any QB would, and he knows he can use this just by going radio silent. Maybe he could, and does, send sends out another cryptic tweet because he saw what happened with his last one after Hopkins was traded. Or maybe while checking his phone to catch up he learns about the Blake ruling or maybe he sees how close the Georgia run off is or maybe he realizes he can kill a bunch of birds with one tweet. So he sends out another cryptic tweet that says nothing and can apply to everything from wanting a trade to him naming his favorite song from Frozen 2. (I have a two year old and lots of young nieces and nephews so yes I know the Disney songs that well.)

Then he just sits back and lets the media do what they do and run wild with the story and do his job for him. Texans start to feel pressured because they finally got the GM they have been chasing 3 years and first thing that happens is a national story that Watson is unhappy and wants out. Plus has them on the hook with a big contract and a no trade clause so its not like they can do anything to him. Meanwhile Watson has full plausible deniability because he told them he would be out of pocket and he didn't mean that tweet directed at the Texans it was just unlucky timing and "Oh by the way guys, about that HC search I have a few people I'd like to suggest that I thought up while in Cabo."

I have zero proof of any of this but then no one has had any proof about anything really so why should that get in the way of a good story.
Sounds exactly like something a childish narcissist would do.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Much of the topic the last few days on this message board has been fantasy and wishful thinking.

What do you really expect to happen in 2021? What's (in your opinion) realistic?

First and foremost, I expect Watson to be starting game one for the Houston Texans in 2021. Other players that I expect will remain on the roster (mainly because of their dead cap hits) that have been talked about on this board lately (this season):

Mercilus ($15,000,000+)
Cunningham (18+)
Cobb (12.25)
Eric Murray (6.5)
David Johnson (2.1)
McKinney (1.5)

As much as I'd love to jettison Murray and Mercilus out of here, I'd joyfully drive them to the airport, it would be difficult to trade them. McKinney is interesting because of how Adams played in his absence but I feel the Texans have a better chance of stopping the run with McKinney.

Unrestricted Free Agents that I expect the Texans to let walk:
McCarron
Scarlett
Conley
Fuller
Dylan Cole
Hargreaves
Michael Thomas
Kyle Emanuel
Jon Weeks
Phillip Gaines

I'd like to keep Fuller but I don't expect he'll be in the Texans's price range. The Texans should (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) receive some compensation in 2022 for losing him.

UFA's that I expect the Texans to retain:
Roderick Johnson
Tyrell Adams
Brent Qvale

Of zero dead cap notables I expect the Texans will pay - Cooks, Crossen, Chad Hansen, and Scottie Phillips. I expect JJ Watt and Duke Johnson will playing for some other team in 2021.